[Drama 2015] The Village: Achiara's Secret 마을- 아치아라의 비밀

larus

'The Village: Achiara's Secret' A strange 'lass' appears in the village

'The Village: Achiara's Secret' A strange 'lass' appears in the village

photo643684.jpg 

Another suspicious character, 'lass' appeared in 'The Village: Achiara's Secret'.

SBS' new Wednesday & Thursday drama, 'The Village: Achiara's Secret' has revealed new still images featuring a woman, who is going to appear in the third episode. In the images, the strange woman creates such dreary and spooky atmosphere while she is standing next to her car she parked on a dark street at night and gazes into somewhere.

She is the same woman with the thick makeup, who appeared in the preview trailer of the third episode. She is a new character called 'lass' by the villagers. While there were so many mysterious characters introduced in the first and the second episodes, she is a completely new face. Viewers discussed about her when she first appeared in the preview of the third episode. They say she is someone mysterious, however can be someone whom you might already know.

The production team said, "'Lass' is a mysterious stranger and will add so much tension to the drama as soon as she appears in the third episode" and "Please stay tuned to find what secrets she is hiding and what will happen to the village as soon as her secrets are revealed".

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And there was I, seeing those teaser stills yesterday, and thinking they'd made it too obvious. And that was without seeing "Lass", as the piece dubs this figure in the translated version,  strut her stuff in the actual episode. But apparently it wasn't obvious at all  from the stills alone to innocent Korean eyes.

And  -- I'll try to make this my  first and last moan in this thread about the standards of translation from "news" sites on Hancinema net -- the orginal doesn't say the villagers call this character "Lass". It says the villagers refer to her as "The Young Lady".  아가씨 can be a title or an address form as well as a common noun, but it can't be a free-standing name.  Even in the different context of trying to produce an Olde Englishe match for saeguk mock-antique Korean, "lass" won't do for 아가씨, which has a connotation of status wholly absent from "lass".   A "lass" is a 소녀. Christening this character "Lass", as the translator (though not the original Korean writer) does ,breaks the translators' commandment which runs "Thou shalt not insert connotations that aren't in the original"

so at LAST i found the second ep sub and watched the 2 eps

really well made but the subbing is so late there is already another raw ep

afraid to read spoilers ill meet you after watching the eps with subs

for me mystery drama must be sub so i hope it will be faster this time

achiaras fighting 

@baduy thanks so much always is so interesting reading your posts...i learn so many new things from you...i'm happy you are watching this drama...by the way this new suspicious character, is really a woman?I confess i thought was a man dressed like woman ...

People who have been around a bit will be amused to see current subbing rates described as "slow"  We used to have to wait for two to three weeks for most of the E-subbing groups to come up with the goods (C-subs were historically always a lot faster). In the case of less popular dramas it could be closer to two months. Maybe that's why some of us decided we really had to learn Korean for ourselves, and in due course did.

It's obviously a great help to fans to have usable subs ready within the sort of turn-around time that Viki achieves when they get the right team together, The fast-ish turn around  DF or the short-lived ex-Crunchyroll soompi.tv  was perhaps less of a heroic achievement than Viki, because in some cases those sites were provided with e-subs commissioned by the broadcasters and in other cases their own translators were given advance access to the raws under a contractual agreement. This advantage, Viki has never (so far) had, and neither has DSS.

What's less to the good is that some teams (not by any means all) lose interest in the subs for a given episode in the rush to move on, so that things which ought to be fixed to give a closer approach to the original don't get fixed ever. This is made worse  by the way that the sites we aren't supposed to mention steal the subs as early as they can, then stream the (also stolen) raws with those earlier versions,  I'm amazed at how many people believe that these sites produce their own subs when what they actually do is just grab them from elsewhere, not caring two hoots about whether they're fully edited or not, pausing only to delete the credits.

@baduy thanks so much always is so interesting reading your posts...i learn so many new things from you...i'm happy you are watching this drama...by the way this new suspicious character, is really a woman?I confess i thought was a man dressed like woman ...

I doubt whether you're alone in that thought, even though it seems not to have struck Korean viewers of the teaser stills. Let's put it this way. If the said "Young Lady" were to try taking a stroll through Gangnam, she'd soon be brought to a standstill  by a throng of cosmetic surgery clinic touts pushing their rival offers of bargain bimaxilliary correction procedures.

I'm a little hesitant about posting this before ep 4 airs, but on the basis that viewers who don't read Korean should have access to what SBS chooses to provide for people who do, here's the the "Young Lady's" character profile in full.

However, I'm going to spoiler it,  because once you read it you will inevitably have different expectations of what's about to happen when tomorrow's episode takes up again from today's cliffhanger, so you may prefer to wait before you read what follows..

The Young Lady: Male, aged 34 years old

Real name Kang Pil Seong, Personal investment adviser.

A villager with multiple guises. Or, put more plainly, a cross-dressing pervert
[that's the word used: 도착 = 倒錯 ]

Despite being generally regarded as bad, he actually comes across as straightforward and honest.

He has never a harsh word for anyone else, but when on the receiving end of harsh words himself, his delicate sensibilities are quickly wounded.

The more people get to see his unique charm, the more they feel affection and even sympathy for him.

To those who are not satisfied with YSJ's acting, try to watch School 2015. IMO, he's one of the few idols who can act. I've only seen episode 1 of The Village so I really can't comment on his acting for this drama yet. But I've seen his past dramas, School and Plus Nine Boys, and he's good on both. 

To me that woman called Lass,:crazy: is a MAN.

The notion that the character is called Lass is a maddening  invention of the hancinema translator. Explanation in a post of mine a couple of hours back, And maybe you'ld better unspoiler my last post, too, once you've read the warning before the spoilered bit and decided whether you want to wait for tomorrow's actual episode before being enlightened.

its just disappointed,,that they put sungjae on male lead but he got small air time,,,,:(

I think because this is ensemble drama.. Everyone in the village get the spotlight and everyone has a specific role, ex: English teacher/homeroom, art teacher, police, assemblyman, pharmacist, etc.

For example in ep 1, it will focus more on Teacher Han So Yoon because she's newcomer to the village and she's the "corpse-finder". But in ep 3 the focus in more on the little girl Yoona who wandering around. YSJ's character, Park Woo Jae still getting screentime and he's central character too as he's the police responsible for the village. I think he'll get more screentime once he work with Han So Yoon to start the investigation. :)

Viki is not available in my region. I am still patiently wait for someone who will upload eng sub from Viki at subscene voluntary. Reading your comment about the third ep, sound so intense. So I decided to watch raw, but don't understand anything. Hahahaaaaa... Now i will back to silent mode and patiently wait for eng sub.

About the rating. Isn't it rise a little bit? If i am not wrong, the second ep only reach 5%. Now, the third ep 7%, so its not bad. Keep fighting Achiara cast and pd!!!!

It's obviously a great help to fans to have usable subs ready within the sort of turn-around time that Viki achieves when they get the right team together, The fast-ish turn around  DF or the short-lived ex-Crunchyroll soompi.tv  was perhaps less of a heroic achievement than Viki, because in some cases those sites were provided with e-subs commissioned by the broadcasters and in other cases their own translators were given advance access to the raws under a contractual agreement. This advantage, Viki has never (so far) had, and neither has DSS.

What's less to the good is that some teams (not by any means all) lose interest in the subs for a given episode in the rush to move on, so that things which ought to be fixed to give a closer approach to the original don't get fixed ever.

I agree with your comments above. That is also what I observed watching shows with language I understand. When subs are out quickly, they usually have not been edited. A lot were translated very generally, sometimes losing the emotional/humorous/satirical effect intended by the writer. So the best is to wait a bit until they get edited, provided also that the show has a strong editor on board who doesn't just gloss over the translation.

Recently I watched a Chinese series on Viki. The subs are ready like the next day after episode release, but like I mentioned, many not precise. It is a light rom-com so maybe still acceptable to follow the story. Definitely won't work for shows like Achiara, so I'm going to wait until the subs are edited before watching it. Nonetheless, I'm really glad Viki has the license, because I know they do have some good and dedicated volunteer subbers and editors there.

[Spoilers] Village 

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 She Was Pretty | The Merchant | Village .
Ratings
1.  The Merchant - 11.1%
2. Village - 7.1%

c1.jpg

Star News -  Naver: 'The Village' confirms that her sister is alive.. The mystery thickens

1. [+1,512, -61] Fun drama but everyone is suspicious ㅜㅜ

2. [+1,286, -74] I'm about to watch it. Is this drama good?

3. [+1,161, -61] This is crazy good. I must keep watching it

4. [+304, -14] Wow. The last part gave me goosebumps.. The music is scary and everyone seems so suspicious

5. [+296, -7] I think the pharmacist added sleeping pills to the fool's medicine. I'm curious of the pharmacist's identity

6. [+303, -23] Dramas like this deserves more attention.The ratings are disappointing but the plot is daebak and intriguing

7. [+283, -15] I switched the channel because She Was Pretty was aired and this drama got me hooked

8. [+229, -12] This could bethe scariest drama I've seen in recent years. Scarier than 'God's Gift' and 'Sign'ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ SBS makes the best dramas of this genre

9. [+167, -7] This is so scary but I can't help but be hooked.. Hohoho

10. [+125, -2] Curious commenters, the writer has completed 13 episodes. The plot won't mess up like 'Yong Pal' nor they would change up things to satisfy viewers

11. [+126, -5] I'm naming everyone as a suspect except for Yook Sungjae, his sunbae and Moon Geun Young

12. [+116, -8] Who else watched this because SWP's episode got cancelled?

Osen -Naver: 'The Village' Choi Jae Woong the lady, did he kill Jang Hee Jin? 

1. [+172, -1] The man with the makeup is freaky ㄷㄷ

2. [+162, -4] The music in this drama is too scary and everyone is a suspect. Wait, the villagers aren't dead people, are they?

3. [+102, -1] I got goosebumps when the Cinderella music started playing

4. [+36, 0] Heol Choi Jae Woong ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ He said so himself before that he won't ever attempt to crossdress ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ But in 'Hedwig' and here, he dressed up as a woman ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

5. [+36, 0] The art teacher, Shin Eun Kyung, her sister and On Joo Wan, one of them is the suspect

Link: http://kkuljaem.blogspot.ca/2015/10/spoilers-merchant-village-she-was.html

"The Village: Achiara's Secret" increases to 7.1%

2015/10/14 | 112 views |  | Permalink | Source

photo643925.jpg

'The Village: Achiara's Secret' percentage increased slightly.

According to Nielsen Korea, the SBS drama 'The Village: Achiara's Secret' recorded 7.1%. This is 1.2% more than the second episode.

'The Village: Achiara's Secret' is about a village in which dead bodies are discovered starring Moon Geun-young, Yook Seong-jae, Sin Eun-kyeong, On Joo-wan, Jang Hee-jin and more.

KBS 2TV "The Merchant: Gaekju 2015" rated 11.1%. MBC "She Was Pretty" got cancelled due to the baseball game and "News Desk" recorded 7.1%.

Village: Secret of Achiara: Episode 3

by javabeans | October 14, 2015 | 2 Comments | 0 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 50 votes, average: 0.00 out of 5 0 out of 5 stars (0 votes)

village3-00375a.jpg

For the wimps among us (which includes me), you may want to watch Village in the light of day, or at least with all your lights turned on. It’s not expressly scary, in that there’s no violence or gore or even a creepy paranormal angle. It’s more that the show plays up the suspense, creating tons of tension-filled moments to keep us on edge, and then making us jump with eerie music or surprise cuts or startling moments.

In that sense a lot of the fear is created by the director rather than the story, which is interesting. I find myself in the odd position of wanting the show to be less scary (my nerves are wimpy with suspense), but also a lot more scary (the plot could use some actual fright factor).

Link: http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/10/village-secret-of-achiara-episode-3/

Archived