[Drama 2015] The Village: Achiara's Secret 마을- 아치아라의 비밀

larus

Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

Ahhh seems this drama is underestimated. I hardly find substitle. When i find one, sometimes i think its a bit confusing. But for the one who make an effort to sub this drama, thank you very much. But I read this morning on Soompi, VIKI has this license. Im glad to hear this.

First of all, I will talk about ratings. Im a little disappointed about this rating. Why is it so low?? Im kind of a person who really care about rating, but I wont give up on a drama based this rating. Hope this week, the rating will rise. So I will be happy.....I really love this kind of drama. Achiara remains me of SBS 2014 Drama Gods Gift 14 Days. Until the end of eps, you wont be able to guess whos the real culprit. You will doubt everyone, even the male or female lead. Back then God’s Gift also had a low rating. I can’t recall what the competitor drama, but for me God’s Gift was masterpiece, i rooted this drama until the end.

Second, i read some bad news about the male lead. Truthfully, besides MGY, OJW and the male lead’s sunbae in police station (Whos his name? Im sorry, i still not remember their character name), I don’t know the rest of the cast. MGY, we never doubt her acting ability. OJW, i saw him once on SBS 2015 Drama, Punch, where I really want to kill him. Hahahaaa... I don’t know how to judge acting ability, but so far for the first 2 eps, all the cast just doing well.

Third, about the story of Achiara. The most doubtful character is The Congressman (again, im sorry. I still not remember their name). Im sure he did something to Teacher Hye Jin, since she was his mistress. Maybe he killed her, kidnapped or the actor behind Teacher Hye Jin’s disapperance. In the end of 2nd ep, we knew MGY found a necklace, it will lead her to dig more about Teacher Hye Jin and her past. And there are a lot of questions, Why in the world, she annouced as dead person? In this car accident, 23 years ago, did the police find two corpse of children? Or the corpse already shattered, so police make a conclusion the children were dead? Or this accident was fabricated? Why her grandma suddenly commit suicide? Im sure she hide something too?? We need to know her story. So many questions, thats why this drama so interesting.

The last, it looks like this drama also tell us about sixth sense. Yoo Na seems has ability to foresee the future, like her mom said. Ahhh, I want to ask something. Is Yoo Na the real child of The Congressman and his wife? If its true, why his wife want to have a baby since they already had a daughter? Am I miss something?

Sorry for my long post and bad grammar. I can’t wait for the next episodes, tonight. Hope this week, I don’t have to wait too long for engsub (hhhaaa) and the rating will increase significantly and will doing well as previously drama, Yong Pal.  I will comeback here after watching with sub from VIKI. Achiara team, Fighting!!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@baduy, that line that Geon-U says to the pharmacist was so hard to hear in the video, with the poor recording. Are you sure it was about a senile old lady, and not about a senile old guy (at school, i.e., the principal) who was talking about the Global 시대 (era, not generation) and brought in the woman?  I could hear the "senile" part (노망난) but not what followed.  The Chinese subs said "bad old man" for that....  I had taken it as the principal, as I subbed the line for DSS.  If it was about some old lady, then we should correct it.

Also, that sentence structure was so straight-forward for me, as it is exactly how it would be said in my native tongue (Malayalam, a south Indian Dravidian language with extreme similarities and even quite a large common vocabulary, with 순 우리말 pure Korean).  But you're so right that it is a real hassle to put it into English properly.

By the way, thanks for the above explanation on YuNa and her grandmom.  Yes, i can see how rude her speaking style is, and can buy that it must be a disdain the grandma developed to the rude kid over time....

I have still not seen the two episodes with subs yet....what i feel is that the killer is either ji sook husband or ki hoon...i think in one of the scene it's mentioned that he is back from the states after two years ..and hye jin was killed two years ago:huh:...ji sook is definitely shady and greedy all her love act for ki hoon is FAKE:phew::phew: ..thats why she hopes for another child ...probably a son who could take over everything from ki hoon...ki hoon love for his stepmother is pure we can see that so maybe he killed hye jin in anger or accidentally she was killed by him then both ji sook and him disposed her body... hye jin doesn't seem like home wrecker and she was definitely upto something(i don't know why i feel this but i think she is not even dead...:rolleyes:)

Second, i read some bad news about the male lead. Truthfully, besides MGY, OJW and the male lead’s sunbae in police station (Whos his name? Im sorry, i still not remember their character name), I don’t know the rest of the cast. MGY, we never doubt her acting ability. OJW, i saw him once on SBS 2015 Drama, Punch, where I really want to kill him. Hahahaaa... I don’t know how to judge acting ability, but so far for the first 2 eps, all the cast just doing well.

Sorry to cut your post. But, what's the bad news about the male lead?

@baduy Thanks for the explanation with the "senile woman". It is really confusing.

IT could be that Ji-Sook is manipulating her step-son GK. We know that he is very fond of her. Nonetheless, he seems to like his half-sister. To me, the halmoni is terrible due to the way she treats Ji-Sook. No wonder, if Yoona can't respect her as she doesn't respect her mother. I do believe that the serial killing is connected to the Seok family.

@baduy, that line that Geon-U says to the pharmacist was so hard to hear in the video, with the poor recording. Are you sure it was about a senile old lady, and not about a senile old guy (at school, i.e., the principal) who was talking about the Global 시대 (era, not generation) and brought in the woman?  I could hear the "senile" part (노망난) but not what followed.  The Chinese subs said "bad old man" for that....  I had taken it as the principal, as I subbed the line for DSS.  If it was about some old lady, then we should correct it.

Yes, this is indeed a tricky one.  Understanding the crucial word after the 노망난 is indeed the problem.  Like you, I struggled with the soundtrack at that point. And returning to it, I'm still not absolutely confident what word I hear there.

However, the C-Subbers must have had good grounds for hearing "old man" (especially since I think that for major dramas,  Korean stations supply authorized Chinese translators with clean raws a little in advance under an NDA, so the sound may be less fuzzy at that point on the version they had), and if that is indeed what he said, then you and the DSS subs are right. 

It makes much better sense in the overall context to take the "senile" or "loopy" person to  be the school headmaster as seen through the eyes of the somewhat cynical art teacher. That would also chime in very well with his "churlish" (as I translated the Head's term for it) behavior when the Head tried to introduce him to SY.  We thought he was being snooty-dismissive towards the newcomer SY, but subsequently his manner to her is much more civilized, which suggests that the contempt he demonstrated on his first appearance was a response to the Head's blather about the school producing "world leaders" and not an affront to SY.

That's another subbing problem, BTW.  The Headmaster's spiel about Haewon High as a powerhouse of global education is rather underut by his distinctly provincial accent. What to do with 'significant' accents that contribute to characterization when translating is an ongoing issue in translator education.  On the whole, the practice is to ignore the problem and translate as though the speaker's diction were "standard",   After all, having a Korean Headmaster talk with a Carolina drawl or a Glaswegian growl would be even more misleading than leaving his lines to be read as standard pronunciation.

The basic thrust of the line however remains the same. Whereas I took it to be about the failure of Granny's futile attempt to save SY from the dark goings on in her native territory, it is indeed more plausibly about the Head's folly in thinking he's bringing cosmopolitan savvy to his school by importing this woman  "born and bred" -- as he thinks -- in Canada. In fact,  he's unknowingly the agent of someone, or some thing, that is "calling"  SY back to her native land and so provoking skeletons to emerge from more than just closets.

I emailed a contact of mine in Japan to see if she could get me some J-Subs for the episode. I actually want to see what the J-subbers do with  the reference to Dokdo (when the sergeant pretends that the young cop's plan of the crime scenes is meant to be a map of Korea  and "corrects" it accordingly)  But it will be interesting to see a J-sub for this "senile person" line, too. I'll send her a reminder.

@jayakris 

The plot thickens.  I've not got the J-subs yet, but running that clip through a spectral analyzer, the profile for that word (as far as the software can distinguish it from the general crud) looks pretty close to the word I finally decided I was hearing when first struggling with my sub. Namely 할망구, which is an archaic/dialect word for an old woman. I can't find any instance of it ever being used of a male.

This is where I lament the absence in Korean of anything like the OED or Websters, both of which record the language as actually used (as distinct from blockbuster official Korean dictionaries, which record only how scholars think the language ought to be used

However, we sometimes say of a pedantic crusty old male that he's "an old woman"  Though it's probably an arrestable offense to utter such a phrase nowadays. However, I wonder whether 할망구 isn't maybe used in this way also in Korea, as a negative (and collaterally misogynistic) description of a man like the bumbling head?

We are badly in need of as many pairs of native-speaking ears (IYSWIM) as possible on this one...

EDIT: 

Aha, the J-sub has 老い耄れ -- which according to my dictionary is "decrepit, feeble old man".  So that's another indication the C-subs were right. Either the word on the soundtrack isn't 할망구 at all, or the J and C subbers are aware of a usage of the word that is applicable to a male, but which I'd never encountered before and apparently also isn't recognized by "official" Korean dictionary-makers.  I'll fix my sub accordingly.

Many thanks for taking up this point, especially since it helps shed light into one of the plot's many dim corners....

yeah,,i want to know also,,curious...)

Just guessing, but I suspect the "bad news" may refer to unfavorable remarks on the so-called "news" sites (par for the course when fangirls don't approve of the choice for male lead and so summon up the anti-fan hordes)  rather than to  hard facts about the actor in real life.

I notice I've just turned from a "Superstar" to a "Legend"  at the start of today's episode.

If I thought the Grim Reaper was a soompi member, I might now start posting like mad in the hope of making it to "Immortal" before I hit the now rather close Biblical span of "three score years and ten".  Still, maybe it's not worth the effort. After all, as the Good Book continues,  "And though a man be so strong that he come to four score years, yet is his strength then but labor and sorrow".  Which is still often true enough, three thousand years after those lines were written.

yeah,,i want to know also,,curious...)

I think I wrote it wrong. I am sorry. Bad news, I mean bad comment about the male lead. At some online discussion site, there are people who doubt his acting ability comparing with the female lead, MGY. Just like I said before, I don't know YSJ. I didn't know his previous drama or project. So for me just something new. Not disappoint me at all, but not satisfied me either. So far just fine, cause we still reach 2 eps. Im sorry if my comment annoys you all.

No one doing live recap here? hufttt.. 

Where are you YSJ fans??????? On "who are you school 2015" i see a lot his fans. But now, where are you? On that forum ppl started war for YSJ ?? Zzzzzzzz i didnt understand, a lot ppl said their love ysj, but no one doing live recap here for ysj? 

(By the way, Im not his fans, hahaha.. Im on Nam joo hyuk side) 

Aha, the J-sub has 老い耄れ -- which according to my dictionary is "decrepit, feeble old man".  So that's another indication the C-subs were right. Either the word on the soundtrack isn't 할망구 at all, or the J and C subbers are aware of a usage of the word that is applicable to a male, but which I'd never encountered before and apparently also isn't recognized by "official" Korean dictionary-makers.  I'll fix my sub accordingly.

Many thanks for taking up this point, especially since it helps shed light into one of the plot's many dim corners....

Checking that line again a few more times, what you are hearing (할망구) is exactly what I'm hearing too. And that word is like "old hag" (clearly given as 늙은 여자를 낮잡아 이르는 말 in the Naver dic too), and not used for old men.  But that comes so out of the blue from the art teacher.  There was nothing till that point or later, to connect the Canadian grandmom and the word "global", so I don't know what to make of it.  Now that both the Chinese subbers and the Japanese subbers are saying that it is "old man", the plot indeed thickens like you said!

And it was also not clear to me why he would use "senile old fart" to refer to a guy like the principal whom the pharmicist has no reason to know as a an old fart. It would typically be about a person they both know.  Could he be talking about the local grandmom (who is the school chairman or whatever)?  That is one person that both the art teacher and the pharmacist would know from their own circles to be an unpleasant old lady. She was later talked about as being senile too (ep. 2).  Was she the one who actually wanted the school to produce "Global era leaders" which the headmaster was pushing?

[By the way, @baduy, you are indeed a legend. I actually decided to learn Korean some 7 or so years ago (following a brief 3 months in Korea on a sabbatical visiting professorship), after bugging you to sub that old 50 ep drama Glass Castle.   I think you did the final 20 odd episodes after I bothered you enough.  I'm sure you remember figuring out "Aron Deron" that the veggie-selling lady said in one episode! ... I found several of the comments you used to make about the language very fascinating, as I had already noticed a good bit of those things thanks to the connection between my Indian native tongue and Korean. So you are indeed like a subbing legend to me, if for nothing else, for getting me caught in the fun of subbing dramas - a great way to learn a language!]

To be honest, I'm rather glad no-one is attempting to live recap  here. Or not yet at any rate. There are so many deliberate false trails and subtle and not-so subtle ambiguities in this drama. Meaning  that the sort of conclusion-jumping that live recappers are prone to (especially if they have little or no Korean) can really mess a thread up for people who are seriously trying to figure out what's going on and want to discuss what the writer wrote and the players performed, rather than someone's instant impressions.  I recall a couple of dramas where I gave up posting because people kept taking as Gospel a live recapper's instant (mis-)interpretations and repeating them from one post to another.  For people who really want that sort of thing, it's pretty easy nowadays to set up a private chat channel and invite those who want to join the party.  They can always edit down the message-log into a digest and post that in a thread later if it contains anything that's still relevant.

There was actually a time when soompi specifically forbade live recapping in drama threads, although AFAIK the mods did little to enforce that rule and it was dropped by default.

@jayakris :  After today's episode I can't help mischievously thinking of yet another possible solution to the senile person gender riddle, opened up by the pretty surprising (for terrestrial TV) introduction of cross-dressing. But I won't suggest that Ju Hui and Geon Woo know something about the Headmaster that he wouldn't want the Board of Governors to find out,  in case someone takes it seriously, with precisely the sort of dire consequences I fear from instant recapping.

I'm also delighted to know that my protracted toil over City of Glass helped a bit towards getting you to your current impressive level of knowledge. People tend not to believe me when I say that (a) the only way to really get everything Kdrama has to offer is to knuckle down to learning the language and (b) that it's perfectly possible to do just that, at least to the level where most things make sense without scrabbling around with dictionaries or decoding Mr Google Translate's more fanciful efforts (e.g in City of Glass, where Mr Google thought the very proper Senior Daughter in Law told the assembled family "I was unpopular in college because I had big breasts".

Hi everyone... I've yet to watch the show, only been reading recaps and the posts here so far. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to start watching. I've enjoyed watching every second of God's Gift-14 Days immensely (until the last few minutes!!) so still checking out whether to get on board this show or not. Will decide before I got too spoiled with the plot, of course.

Also, haven't decided whether to watch with the English subs or Chinese subs (any recommendation?). It's really interesting reading @baduy and @jayakris posts about the language issues in translating for subs. Thank you! I'm very much interested in linguistics as well, but since I've never learned Korean nor Japanese, will not attempt to join in the discussion and will just be your silent keen reader. How I wish I now already know enough Korean to appreciate the nuances in the language/words being used in this show. I'm sure that will become more enjoyable viewing experience.

Archived