Kam Woo Sung 감우성

JamaicaK

@JamaicaK you're most welcome!  yes i read & saw his paintings they're awesome! i read he majored in oriental painting is that how they call it? i know u posted some of them incldg the pix with the artist in was it France or somewhere in Europe he took a trip! woah you really hv to be commended for your hard work on his thread, why not maybe u shld post them here after all this is his own thread right chingus & yeah his interviews/articles! look f/ward to seeing them chingu

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/review/spider-forest-film-review-by-emma-slawinski
Spider Forest****nostar.gif

Reviewed by: Emma Slawinski

Spider Forest is a complex psychological thriller that manipulates time-frames and memories in the manner of films like The Machinist and Memento, with a good dose of the raw, primal fear that The Blair Witch Project channelled into addictively suspenseful viewing. It kicks off with the discovery of a brutal double murder in a cabin sunk deep in a very creepy forest. Kang Min (Kam Woo-seong) is a recently widowed TV producer struggling to keep it together and cope with the loss of his wife. For initially unclear reasons, he is drawn into the isolated, dense forest and finds the bloodied corpses of his girlfriend and her lover. Realising he is not alone, he runs from the scene, to be pursued and attacked.

He wakes up after a 14-day coma with confused, fragmented memories of the events leading up to his trauma in the forest – both recent and from the more distant past. Though clues and backstories emerge very gradually as the film skips around in time, Spider Forest is always engrossing. It poses question upon question, not all of which are answered fully, but it pulls off the narrative trickery and surreality with the help of an exceptional performance from Kam Woo-Seong as the damaged protagonist who goes on a strange journey of self-discovery.

Copy picture

Kang’s painful progress through buried memories takes him through periods of serene bravado to ones of haunting emptiness, and then to moments of horror and violence. The tangled spider-web of his history extends back to his early childhood, and it’s only by reaching back so far that he can start to make his way out of the impenetrable forest that holds him hostage. The supporting cast are strong too, with Suh Jung particularly impressive as the woman upon whom Kang is fixated.

The slow pace and resistance to simple conclusions will be a turn-off for some. Though Spider Forest shares some characteristics with the aforementioned The Machinist and Memento, it refuses to tie up all the loose ends with a big narrative pay-off. If you’re not put off by a few hanging threads though, there is still much to savour.

As well as the engaging storylines and great action, the photography and use of colour are striking too. The forest glints in an uncanny light at night-time, interiors are full of bleached colours, and a highway tunnel set drenched in sickly yellow light makes for possibly the most disturbing scene in the whole film - which really encapsulates the inspired restraint of Spider Forest.  Song Il-gon is parsimonious with violence, his ‘scares’ are never over-the-top or gratuitous, and this allows him to build up layer upon layer of mystery and menace. A meticulous, intelligent, thought-provoking thriller, Spider Forest will haunt you for weeks after you watch it.

Reviewed on: 27 Jan 2009

Anybody read Korean?  His Top Five Films.  I've seen all but the first one on his list.  "The Deer Hunter" sent me to acting class, with the hopes of some day working with Christopher Walken.  :-)  
In reading his comments using Babylon, Microsoft, and Google translation programs, I gleaned a little bit of understanding:
1.  "Elvira Madigan," (1967), which is about the real-life affair between a Danish circus performer, and a married Swedish calvary officer.  Pia Degermark, who plays the title role, won Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival.  Kam seems to be saying that he was so impressed by how real the actors' emotions seemed, playing out this doomed love affair.
2.  "The Deer Hunter" (1978) - Three idealistic young men, steelworkers, from a small Pennsylvania town, enlist to fight in Vietnam. The gist of Kam's words:  This film came out during a boom of Vietnam films (Apocalypse Now, etc.), this is the best of them all.  Robert DeNiro is awesome, in this great role.  He is the sort of actor that makes one seek out all he's done.  Forget more recent disappointing turns by him, DH shows him during his prime. (Or something to that extent.  I guess, now I know why Kam did "R-Point.")
3.   "The Mission" (1986) - Another flick with Robert DeNiro, about Jesuit priests' work with the Guarani Indians of South America, during the 18th century, and the politics that come into play, which undermines their work, and endangers the lives of the Indians, and the film's priests,  alike.  The Gist:  He is amazed by such beauty in the midst of terrible brutality, (attempted genocide of the Guarani), largely created through Ennio Morricone's score.  (In Kam's "Travel the World episode, he went to Iguazu Falls - partly located in Argentina - and visited with Guarani Indians who had - and maybe still do - live near those falls.  The movie, made a great impression, apparently!)  
4.  Kekexili:  Mountain Patrol (2004) - Inspired by Peng Hui's documentary, "Balance," Lu Chuan's "Mountain Patrol" follows the work of vigilante rangers, trying to protect the last remaining Tibetan antelope, from poachers.  It is a job for which there is little to no government funding.  The men do it because they love their homeland, and want to preserve what makes it special.  It is a job some of these men die for, shot in cold blood, for the money the animal's coats will bring.  The gist:  Apparently, Kam had bought the DVD by chance, having just seen a documentary ("Balance"?) about this very subject - he may have thought this WAS the documentary.  Basically, he says, he hit the jackpot.  And notes that reality can be more dramatic than a movie.  Hmmm, actually, I ain't sure WHAT the gist is!  LOL!  Does he like the documentary more than the movie?
5.  Nobody Knows (2004) - Japanese film, loosely based on "the affair of the four abandoned children of Sugamo" case, where four children had been left to fend for themselves.  The gist:  Kam notes that for such a tragic story, the film is often warm and beautiful.  He seemed impressed by the acting skills of the children.

http://today.movie.naver.com/today/today.nhn?sectionId=525

테마 영화 추천

종료안내본 섹션은 2013년 5월 31일 연재 종료되었습니다.

배너

감우성이 추천하는 특별한 감동이 있는 실화 영화 

감우성은 부드럽지 않다. 모난 구석 하나 없이 반듯한 이목구비와 단정한 미소에 한없이 포근하게만 느껴졌던 이 남자는 사실 한 순간도 만만했던 적이 없다. 사랑에 빠지면서 모든 걸 버리는 재벌 3세일 때도, 너그러운 왕자님보다는 잘 삐져서 현정(김규리)을 긴장시키는 남자친구([현정아 사랑해])였다. 또는 결혼한 애인의 숨겨진 남자로 사는 일상을 감내하다가도 한 순간 울컥하는 예민한 대학 강사([결혼은 미친 짓이다])였다. 특히 [연애시대]의 동진은 친절하지도 않은데다 속까지 알 수 없는 까칠한 남자였다. 이혼 후에도 쉽사리 풀어지지 않는 은호(손예진)와의 엉킨 실타래를 끊지도 다시 매듭짓지도 못한 채 흔들리는 동진은 여자들에게 상처를 주고 자신도 다쳤다. 동화책 속의 러브스토리가 아닌 일상에서 숨쉬고, 현실과 맞닿아 있는 연애를 보여준 [연애시대]에서 감우성이 아닌 동진은 상상할 수 없었다. 평범한 얼굴 뒤로 감정을 숨기지만 종종 뾰족한 가시를 드러내기도 하는 가장 보통의 남자.

1.jpg그러나 연기를 통해 극단적인 감정의 파고를 겪고, 특별함이 자산이 될 수 있는 배우에게 평범하다는 평가는 자칫 장애가 될 수도 있을 것이다. 그러나 스스로도 자신의 외모에 대해 "배우치고는 평범하다"고 대수롭지 않게 말하는 감우성은 어떤 질문에도 돌려 말하거나 인사치레로 답하는 법이 없다. 천만관객에게 사랑을 받았던 [왕의 남자] 이후 다소 기대에 미치지 못했던 행보에 대해서도 "다 과거죠. 그 이상도 그 이하도 아닌 것 같아요. 그때는 운명이라고 생각한 순간도 있었는데 지나고 보니 그냥 다 과거예요"라고 담담하게 말할 정도로 자신의 데이터를 객관화시키는 데도 어려움이 없다. 여전히 멈추지 않고 그리는 그림에 대해서도 "특별한 목적이 있는 건 아니고, 그 시간에 술 마시고 그러는 거 보다 훨씬 생산적이니까요"라고 효율성에 입각한 답변을 내놓는 감우성의 입매는 야무지다.

듣기 좋게 치장한 말이나 허울만 좋아 금세 허공으로 흩어지는 칭찬과는 거리가 먼 감우성처럼 그가 당신에게 추천하는 영화들도 '가짜'가 없다. 그래서 사랑이나 전쟁, 비극 등 모습을 달리할 지라도 각각이 가진 울림은 저마다의 묵직함을 자랑한다. 그리고 그 어떤 판타지보다 현실을 똑바로 보아내는 실화에 끌리는 그의 성향은 감우성을 설명하는 데 한 목소리를 낸다. 그는 결코 부드럽거나 달콤하지는 않지만 '진짜' 남자 혹은 배우라고.

l 이지혜 <10 아시아> 기자 logo.jpg사진 채기원 <10 아시아> 기자 logo.jpg

A0331-01.jpg영화포토
  • A0331-11.jpg
    감우성의 첫 번째 추천 : 엘비라 마디간

감우성: 실화만이 가지는 힘이 있는 것 같아요. 잘 만들어낸 이야기도 충분히 감동을 주지만 '진짜'라는 게 가지는 깊이는 특별하잖아요. 배우도 실제 있었던 일을 연기하면 더 진짜처럼 할 수 있지 않을까 생각해요. 진짜를 더 진짜처럼 하고 싶은 욕심이랄까요? [엘비라 마디간]은 학창시절에 봤던 굉장히 오래된 영환데도 아직도 기억나는 건 바로 그 덕분인 거 같아요.

영화설명: 사랑의 가장 아름다운 결말은 어떤 모습일까? 자주 연인들의 결합은 '두 사람은 영원히 행복하게 살았습니다'로 끝나지 않기에 함께 죽음을 맞는 식스틴(토미 베르그덴)과 엘비라(피아데게드 아르크)의 마지막은 아름답다. 그리고 귀족 출신의 장교와 서커스단의 소녀의 러브 스토리는 많은 이의 가슴 속에서 아직 끝나지 않았다. 여리지만 사랑에 있어선 누구보다 강했던 엘비라를 연기한 피아데게드 아르크는 20회 칸영화제에서 여우주연상을 수상했다.

[엘비라 마디간 : Elvira Madigan] | 1967년 | 보 비더버그A0128-00.jpg영화포토

• A0128-37.jpg
  • A0128-25.jpg
  • A0128-32.jpg
    감우성의 두 번째 추천 : 디어헌터

감우성: [디어헌터]가 개봉할 당시는 한창 전쟁영화 붐이 일던 때라 [지옥의 묵시록] 등 전쟁을 소재로 한 영화들이 정말 많이 나왔어요. 그래도 어린 시절의 제게는 이 세상 최고의 영화로 남아 있는 게 [디어헌터]예요. 거기에 큰 몫을 한 배우가 로버트 드니로구요. 그의 최근작들은 실망스러운 경우도 많았지만 그 때 로버트 드니로는 정말 굉장했죠. 이름만 나와도 영화를 선택하게 만드는 힘이 있는 최고의 배우죠.

영화설명: 영화 속에서 등장하는 고문 방법 중 하나인 러시안 룰렛과 전쟁은 닮았다. 누가 죽고 살지 모르는 확률게임에 수많은 이들이 목숨을 잃고 살아남는다 하더라도 극심한 정신적 고통에 시달린다는 점에서. 삼총사인 마이클(로버트 드니로), 닉(크리스토퍼 월켄), 스티븐(존 세비지)은 베트남전에도 함께 참전한다. 그러나 포로로 잡혔다 탈출한 이도, 고향으로 돌아오지 못한 이도 모두 전처럼 살아갈 수 없게 된다.

[디어헌터 : The Deer Hunter] | 1978년 | 마이클 치미노A0086-00.jpg영화포토

• A0086-102.jpg
  • A0086-106.jpg
  • A0086-108.jpg
    감우성의 세 번째 추천 : 미션

감우성: 실화라기보다는 역사적 사실에 근거한 영화죠. 로버트 드니로제레미 아이언스리암 니슨 등 쟁쟁한 배우들이 나오지만 무엇보다 절 사로잡은 건 엔니오 모리꼬네의 음악이었어요. 평소에도 엔니오 모리꼬네의 음악을 너무 좋아하는데 [미션]에서도 정말 엄청났죠. 특히 원주민들이 영화 종반부에 몰살당하는 장면은 영상 자체도 충격적이지만 음악이 있어 더 크게 다가왔던 것 같아요.

영화설명: 과라니족의 모든 것을 짓밟는 서구의 군대는 한 문명이 다른 문명을 근대화시킨다는 발상 자체가 얼마나 폭력적이고 오만한 것인지 선연하게 보여준다. 1750년 아르헨티나, 파라과이와 브라질 국경 지역에서 벌어진 살육은 스페인과 포루투갈의 영토 분쟁의 결과였고, 원래 그 땅에 살고 있던 사람들은 그렇게 사라졌다. [미션]은 39회 칸 영화제 그랑프리의 영광을 안았다.

[미션 : The Mission] | 1986년 | 롤랑 조페C9805-00.jpg영화포토

• C9805-12.jpg
    감우성의 네 번째 추천 : 가가서리

감우성: 보통 영화는 DVD로 구입해서 보는데 우연히 기대하지 않고 본 영화들이 대박을 터뜨리는 경우가 많아요. (웃음) [가가서리]는 텔레비전에서 우연히 보게 됐는데 주연배우를 빼고는 실제 주민들이 연기를 했어요. 티벳의 마운틴 패트롤들이 밀렵꾼을 잡는 여정을 다큐멘터리처럼 보여주는데 참 아이러니해요. 밀렵꾼을 잡을 경비를 마련하기 위해 그들에게서 압수한 가죽을 팔 수 밖에 없거든요. 때로 현실은 영화보다 더 극적인 것 같죠?

영화설명: 가가서리 혹은 커커시리는 티벳에 위치한 고원의 이름이다. 이곳에는 멸종위기에 처한 영양의 밀렵이 성행하는데, 이들을 쫒는 산악 경비원들의 삶은 고되기 이를 데 없다. 나라에 고용된 처지도 아니고 그 어떤 지원도 받지 못하지만 티벳의 자연을 지키는 이들의 고군분투는 숭고하기까지 하다. 끝없이 펼쳐진 고원의 압도적인 풍광마저 잊게 할 정도로.

[가가서리 : Kekexili: Mountain Patrol] | 2004년 | 루 주안C8546-00.jpg영화포토

• C8546-13.jpg
  • C8546-18.jpg
  • C8546-12.jpg
    감우성의 다섯 번째 추천 : 아무도 모른다

감우성: 실제로 일어났던 일이라고 생각하면 너무 안타까울 정도로 슬픈 이야기인데, 영화의 전체적인 톤은 매우 따뜻하고 아름답기까지 해요. 특히 충격적인 사건을 겪고 난 뒤 지하철에 나란히 앉은 아이들의 얼굴을 보면서 많은 걸 느꼈어요. 연기는 얼마나 오래 어떤 스킬을 갖고 있느냐가 중요한 게 아니라 아무것도 모르는 상태, 계산되지 않은 상태에서 나오는 게 가장 훌륭하다는 것을요.

영화설명: 작은 아파트에서 쫓겨나지 않게 트렁크나 옷장에 숨어 지내는 동생들과 자신들을 버린 엄마를 대신에 아이들을 돌보는 맏이 아키라(아기라 유야). 그러나 이들의 평화로운 일상은 비극적인 사건으로 끝이 난다. 1988년 일본에서 실제로 일어났던 '나시 스가모의 버림받은 4남매 사건'을 모티브로 만들어졌다. 야기라 유야는 57회 칸 영화제에서 최연소 남우주연상을 수상했다.

[아무도 모른다 : Nobody Knows] | 2004년 | 고레에다 히로카즈

line.jpg

이제 막 새로운 출발선을 그어 놓은 배우

2.jpg"그동안 실화를 바탕으로 한 작업을 해본 적이 거의 없어요. 실제 있었던 일을 작품으로 하면 더 진짜처럼 연기할 수 있지 않을까 생각했죠. 훨씬 더 열정적으로. 진짜를 더 진짜처럼 하고 싶은 바람이랄까요?" 실제 발생했던 '묻지마 살인사건'을 모티브로 한 신작 [무법자]에서 감우성은 가족의 복수를 하기 위해 스스로 사형을 집행하는 강력반 형사다. 서늘한 포스터 속 그의 모습은 본인이 봐도 무서울 정도로 으스스하다. "한국영화에 흔히 등장하는 형사의 클리셰를 깨고 싶었다"는 감우성이 만들어낸 오정수는 어떤 모습일까?

"어떤 의미에서 새롭게 출발하는 느낌이에요. 전에는 내 앞에 당장 주어진 것을 해내기에 급급했거든요. 그런데 마흔이 되면서 주위도 좀 둘러보고, 작품을 선택하는 데 있어서도 좀 더 크고 넓게 보려고 해요. 늘 뭔가 증명하기위해 불안했다면 이제는 여유를 가지고 살려구요." 누군가는 [왕의 남자]가 그에게 최고의 시절을 안겨줬다고 하고, 또 누군가는 [연애시대]의 영광을 아직도 기억한다. 그러나 이제 막 새로운 출발선을 그어 놓은 감우성에게 전성기는 아직 오지 않았다. 지금부터가 장거리 주자의 승부처다.

@JamaicaK woah thanks for sharing, mind u i'd say that horse w/c is your fave it happens to be my fave too when i first saw it on this thread that u posted already! amazing paintings! i read Korean but we may have to still ask to interpret it for us! :)

@ChelseaS thnx for sharing!

Hey everyone, since the YT videos were blocked, I uploaded them on Dailymotion. Hope they don't block it!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29eqt3_wrap-up-party_fun (Wrap-up Party/Section TV)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29er3l_ng-kam-woo-sung_fun (NG-Kam Woo Sung)
- Not sure why the NG video was age restricted by DM. ^^

ChelseaS said: Hey everyone, since the YT videos were blocked, I uploaded them on Dailymotion. Hope they don't block it!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29eqt3_wrap-up-party_fun (Wrap-up Party/Section TV)

ChelseaS said: Hey everyone, since the YT videos were blocked, I uploaded them on Dailymotion. Hope they don't block it!

(From the archives.)
Getting Serious About Clowning
Actor Gam Woo-sung Stars in Upcoming Film ‘King and the Clown’ 

By Kim Tae-jong
Staff Reporter

IPB Image
Gam Woo-sung 

Actors are often heard to say that their upcoming movie is the best in their film career, a phrase that now tends to sound like an old cliche. But when these words come from the mouth of actor Gam Woo-sung, you’re inclined to believe him.
He has taken a serious attitude to his acting career in the past 15 years, being very selective in his roles. He seems to know well what he can and cannot do, and works really hard to bring out his best once his role is set. 

So it was quite unusual and interesting that he took the role of a clown in his new film ``King and the Clown’’ and says it is the best movie that he has ever starred in, prior to its release on Dec. 29. 

``It’s really meaningful for me to star in this film,’’ Gam said in a recent interview with Yonhap News Agency. ``I don’t know if I can have a chance to work on a better scenario than this.’’

Based on the acclaimed play titled ``Yi,’’ now being staged at the Theater Yong, the film deals with the true story of Yonsan, a tyrant king of the Choson Kingdom, and his favorite court jester Kong-gil, with the addition of some fictional accounts and characters, such as clown leader Jang-saeng who Gam plays. 

Co-starring Jung Jin-young and Lee Joon-gi, the film tells of the friendship between Kong-gil (played by Lee) and Jang-saeng and satirizes the social class through the affection of tyrannical ruler Yonsan (Jung) for clown Kong-gil, from the lowest rank in society.

For his role, Gam had to learn various skills for traditional performances intensively over the course of two months as the film contains scenes with traditional street opera, and the acrobatic, rope and mask dances. 

``It was both hard and interesting to learn all the new skills. Although I didn’t have much time, I realized that doing my best really seemed to work out,’’ Gam recalled.

Making a debut in the 1990 television drama ``Paradise of Our Own,’’ he had played mainly modern and urban upper-middle class men with soft and kind images in many other television series. 

But after he starred in his first film ``Marriage Is a Crazy Thing’’ in 2001 where he played a man who is intelligent and gentle but opposes the social system of marriage and seeks free dating, he started slowly gearing up to venture to play various roles.

He has since played some distinctive characters such as a man trapped in a confusing and mesmerizing sequence of events in the 2003 horror film ``Spider Forest’’; the leader of a South Korean squadron in Vietnam that looks into the mysterious disappearance of 18 soldiers in the 2004 horror thriller ``R-Point’’; and a young man who tries to deceive his father to succeed to his fortune in this year’s comedy ``A Bold Family.’’ 

After years of adventures playing various roles, Gam was finally able to star in the right film, ``King and the Clown’’ as he said it was a turning point in his 15-year movie career.

But as he knows well the limited roles for actors in their 40s and 50s in the local movie industry, the 35-year-old actor fears he doesn’t have much time to venture, which he finds really sad. 

``It’s like now I’m dancing on a tightrope. You don’t know when you may fall,’’ Gam said to Sports Hankook, sports and entertainment daily. 

But this adventurous actor may show us a whole new side, as he plans to start painting. Next year, after he marries actress Kang Min-a, whom he has been dating for 15 years, he plans to have a workshop in his house. He majored in oriental painting at university. 

``Now I really want to draw. I’m dying to paint. I dream of holding my own exhibition in three or four years,’’ Gam said. 

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr 

12-19-2005 18:59

More fun stuff from the archives!  Found this article on a tv special that Kam and Kim So-Roo did together in Macau, (I think, as part of the publicity for "Big Bang" - 2007?)  They became great friends, when they worked together in 2005, on "A Bold Family," attended each other's wedding (seems like I read fans saying they were each other's Best Man, in fact, can't remember for sure.  It was probably said here on the forum.  Lol!)  Anyway, let me know if you can't see the pictures.

감우성-김수로 아내없는 동반 여행기 ‘김수로 바느질까지 확인하고 물건 구입’
  2007-03-06 16:20:33

[뉴스엔 이정아 기자]

감우성 김수로가 7일 방송되는 SBS ‘김승현, 정은아의 좋은 아침’에서 중국 마카오 여행기를 공개하며 특별한 우정을 뽐낸다.

그동안 신혼여행까지 함께 할 정도로 돈독한 우정을 과시해왔던 감우성과 김수로는 최근 영화 ‘쏜다’ 촬영을 끝내고 동서양의 문화가 공존하는 마카오로 떠났다. 

항상 아내들과 항상 함께 했던 여행과는 달리 이번에는 남자들만의 특별한 우정여행이 됐던 셈이다. 특히 김수로는 3박 4일 내내 깜짝 여행 가이드로 변신해 유쾌한 입담을 자랑했다. 

닮은 듯 너무 다른 두 사람은 이번 마카오 여행에서는 서로 다른 성격만큼이나 각자의 개성이 묻어나는 여행 스타일을 보였다. 김수로가 마카오 재래 시장에서 가게마다 들어가서 육포를 구입하는 반면 감우성은 바느질 상태까지 따져서 생활용품을 구매하는 꼼꼼함을 보인 것이다. 

아직 신혼의 단꿈에 젖어있는 두 사람은 애처가로서의 면모도 여실히 보여줬다. 감우성은 직접 농사지은 재료로 요리해주다 이번에 책까지 내게 된 아내에 대한 자랑은 물론 아내의 명령이라며 호텔의 슬리퍼까지 챙긴다고 말했다. 김수로 역시 아침마다 꼬박꼬박 식사를 차려주는 아내에 대한 감사 인사를 잊지 않았다. 

특히 “빵은 물론 식혜까지 손수 담가먹는다”는 감우성은 “아이가 태어나면 흙을 밟고 살게 하겠다”며 그다운 육아론을 펼쳤다. 또 스스로 ‘안성의 조인성’이었다고 말하는 김수로를 보며 “누구도 흉내낼수 없는 외모”라고 평한 뒤 “평소 후배들의 월세까지 내주는 의리 있는 친구”라고 칭찬을 아끼지 않았다. 

이번 여행의 백미는 두사람의 스릴만점 고공모험이었다. 감우성은 가위 바위 보에서 지는 바람에 338m의 마카오 타워에서 스카이 점프대 위로 오르게 됐고 김수로 역시 고소공포증에도 불구하고 친구 따라 스카이 워크에 도전했다.

unnamed_zpsba1cc140.jpg

unnamed_zps8f39e504.jpg

unnamed_zpsdfc10feb.jpg

unnamed_zps540fa1eb.jpg

Archived