thanx @homura but usually the king is in attendance even a puppet king just keep appearances, no?  

The late Goryeo's state affairs were determined only by Dodang conference. King was a puppet with no power. King Gongmin was holding real power and succeeded to check the power of the nobles, but his son King U couldn't. He did nothing but go to hunt.

The SFD production staff answered that King U (reign 1374-1388) and his son King Chang (reign 1388-1389) were not casted. Only King Gongyang (reign 1389-1392), the last ruler of the Goryeo dynasty, will appear in the drama.

Edited by homura
  • Like 6

@homura there were never ruling queens, right?

the kings always succeeded in producing sons?

what would have happened were the king only had daughters?

Only Silla dynasty had three ruling queens. Goryeo didn't.

But there was Empress Cheonchu (964~1029) who virtually ruled Goryeo. Her grandfather, her husband, her elder brother, her son were kings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Heonae

It is somewhat complicated relationship to explain. One thing for sure is, among the royal families of Silla and early Goryeo dynasty, incestuous marriage was not a taboo at all. Royal blood married within the royal families. It was mid-Goryeo period that the incestuous marriage was forbidden.

Empress Cheonchu (Queen dowager Heonae) was the granddaughter of Wang Guhn, the founder of Goryeo dynasty.
She got married to King Gyeongjong, the 5th ruler of Goryeo dynasty. He was her cousin. (In addition, King Gyeongjong's parents were brother and sister. His mother was her aunt. )
After her husband's early death, her elder brother became King Seongjong, the 6th ruler of Goryeo dynasty.
After her brother's death, her son King Mokjong became the 7th ruler. She became the queen dowager and shielded power instead of her son. Later on, King Mokjong was dethroned by her despite being her son. She was a really powerful queen.

KBS1 broadcasted her life story in 2009.

empress_cheon_chu.jpg

Edited by homura
  • Like 5

wow - she seems amazing although ruthless - seems like a must watch

is it a fusion or history as it was?

Silla? QSD right?

Yes, Queen Seondeok was the first ruling queen of Silla dynasty.

Empress Cheonchu was a traditional KBS Sageuk which was faithful to the historical records. 

I found some video clips with English subtitle on YouTube.  Search Empress Chun Chu.

https://youtu.be/DDh0ANR2bkU

• Like 4

@homura  Your nothing less than amazing!  Always filling in the blanks it's like the Dragons having their own historian to go to.  The number may be small here but the talent sure isn't!!!! 

Using music to open our minds & embrace our hearts.........

I was so touched that just like in episode 2 the writers & production team of 6FD choose to use music to express what the people themselves were feeling.  It's as if you're drawn into that scene with them, following & feeling their struggles & pain too.  It may be because I love music but it's what continues to stand out the most to me.  I also love the OST which so far is pretty amazing too!  

Credit & Thanks to original owners of videos........  Have a great one Dragons:) 

Episode !!

I will call this episode the Temptation of Jung Do Jeon and Boon Yi’s Plea

JDJ is angry with BW and BY for their collaboration in the forging the seal in the ABC Book and convincing HIB to move the members of the Do Dang to approve the ABC. He gave BW his first unforgettable lesson that humbled and inspired the young BW. However, BW and BY replied to throw back the accusation of “thinking like a bug and becoming a bug” at JDJ’s face indirectly through the events that were instigated by that forged seal. If the last episode was a kick to prudence for BW, this episode is a wakeup call to fairness and justness for JDJ.

JDJ called BW the loose cannon but he never, ever thought that the woman, his faithful and special spy, whom he trusted unquestioningly was the loose cannon who dangled the apple and planted a bug in his scholarly head. Who would think that the beautiful ninja grew up to be a cold and ruthless woman that she has no compunction to sacrifice an innocent life for the sake of her cause? She must have deeply seated anger that she now embraced the bug of vengeance. What she said to YJS when he told her that was not the path the movement was supposed to take was chilling. “Were there innocents who lived and are there guilty who died?” The death of LBW by torture will bury the question of illegal deals accusation of LSG with HIB and GTM and will bring LSG to JDJ’s side firmly and JDJ’s reformation will begin.  She is she scary. But the idea of abandoning BW and making him the sacrifice and the reason to bring LSG to his side was a great temptation for JDJ. It was an easy solution. YH said just for want moment he can look away and pretend he did not see or know. And like the great spiritual leaders and all of humanity who faced trying dilemmas, JDJ went to reflect in the soothing beauty and calmness of nature. He went to the mountain spring to wash his face and acknowledged he caught the bug of temptation, he went to the rock to reflect more and we see his inner struggle.  Ironically it was HIB who resisted the temptation of easy solution suggested by GTM “kill BTW”. He had faith in the vaunted integrity of the scholar Jung Do Jeon.

However, YH still cared deeply for the desperado warrior singing mournful songs of the now empty village where he once ate wild gooseberries (picked and given to him by his young love). After JDJ and YH went to see the moving performance she silently pleaded for JDJ not to being DS to the movement. Ironically If DS will know that the pretty dream girl of his boyhood turned into a coldhearted woman it will really crush his already broken heart. I cried during that scene. She was willing to sacrifice the death of an innocent to save the man she loved from further agony. When YH went back to the cave and YJS was waiting to tell them that he brought BY to talk to JDJ, YH excitedly protested that she not be include in the fight and that is when JDJ realized that she was the one whom BY called Unnie YH.

When BY went to plead for JDJ to help BW, she first got a scolding but she stopped JDJ’s rant to a realization that he was wrong about the young BW he called the loose cannon. She told him that BW was different from the other nobles. Bw was the first person of nobility who helped her when when they were young and looking for their mother, he was the one person who helped her in the village, and of all the people that she knew BW was the person who truly and sincerely believed in the purpose of JDJ’s work. He was the young man who waited patiently for a long time. It was then that JDJ realized that everyone regardless of who they were followed him had hope and dreams and faith in a better future. He realized that he was right in giving BW a scolding but he was wrong in excluding him from the “cave’. That was when he made his decision to challenge YIG and changed the forged letter of false accusations to a letter of warning.

BRAVO BY, BRAVO!!

• Like 5

seeing with subs ep 11 i was trying to figure out the purpose of this ep 

since this whole BW capture is fictional why lengthen it and have this actually 2 episodes till LSG appearance since it didnt change the development of the story just prolonged it so i thought about it that 

1 - it made JDJ choose to trust BW - refusing to kill him and actively trying to save him

2 - made the Villein notice him and make him instead of his father the focus of the conflict

i have to remind myself that this is a fusion and the focus is on LBW sttory therefore the conflict of all sides are with him and his father is "aiding" him in this particular story and not the other way around 

on a different note the romance is about to start from both sides BW & BY budding love

and DS & YH a onesided? love  

• Like 5

since BW & BY romance is about to start i can only assume that Lady Ming will be introduced soon

im really exited about that since i havent watch IHITTGV but i heard she was amazing there and also the producers and casting ppl really wanted her 

and had to bribe her with YAI

she is the only one i havent seen bf and am really exited to see her in action 

• Like 3

Ep 12 Summary

Sambong fanclub meeting aftermath...

Sambong : OK. I'll accept you as a fan. Call me Oppa. I'll correct your Saseng attitude.
Bang-Won : !!!!!!!!!!! #%$^%$%$^% OMG, OMG, I can call him Oppa! (squealing with joy)

Edited by homura
  • Like 9

the historical backgrounds to help understand ep. 12

1. Bang-Won said “My father has never taken his stand in a castle against enemies during his 150 battles. Never."  It is historically true. Yi Seeng-Gye always led the fight against enemies. Being besieged in a castle (농성전 籠城戰) was not his option at all. Nontheless, he had never been defeated in any battle.
  2. It is also true that Goryeo royalty and nobles always escaped from the capital by themselves, leaving the poor commoners behind, whenever there were foreign invasions : Mongols, The Red Turbans, etc.
  3. Nam Eun (남은, 南誾 1354~1398) is a real historical figure. He helped Jung Do-Jeon and Yi Bang-Won to found Joseon dynasty.

Edited by homura
  • Like 7