Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

On 4/3/2018 at 5:10 PM, MyStars said:

Hola!  More pretties for the page.......a combination of digital art color pencil technique AND GIF imagery.  This GIF morph was made with just 3 still pictures.    Please enjoy.

credit SBS drama Suspicious Partner 

This is from Episode 1, on the subway.  Lawyer Noh says to Bong Hee:  "Are you talking to me?  Do you know me?"

Love this GIF. Didn't realize while watching the show, that there were so many eye, head and shoulder movements involved in this scene. :-)

Beautiful work !!! 

On 4/5/2018 at 6:44 PM, cherkell said:
Two 'shoulder gangsters'.  The weather is cold again.  Take good care of your health.  - #BRO

(The gentleman on the left is KT Sonicboom basketball player Heo Hoon, who is also a Verutum product endorser.  This photo was taken on Wook's recent military leave in March 2018.)

Credit to and thanks for the permission to share: Verutum CEO Kim Sun Woong

Thanks @cherkell for the pics !!!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jcwjcw2018 said:

Love this GIF. Didn't realize while watching the show, that there were so many eye, head and shoulder movements involved in this scene. :-)

Beautiful work !!! 

Thank you for the kind words @jcwjcw2018!!  Reducing the whole "morph GIF" to accommodate only 3 stills forces one to choose the most representative stills  out of maybe 15-20 still shots which encapsulate the scene being presented, thus making the individual movements movements stand out more than they would in real time photography.   I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, but it sure is interesting and brings a lot of focus to the face in question, which in this case is  Actor Ji Chang Wook, SuperStar!  :rolleyes:  Making something like this with a face less, ummm,  dazzlingly attractive might give some very bizarre results. :wacko:

P.S.  Don't forget the "don't quote pictures/videos" rule.  I don't really mind since it's a picture I made :wub:...but.....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MyStars said:

Thank you for the kind words @jcwjcw2018!!  Reducing the whole "morph GIF" to accommodate only 3 stills forces one to choose the most representative stills  out of maybe 15-20 still shots which encapsulate the scene being presented, thus making the individual movements movements stand out more than they would in real time photography.   I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, but it sure is interesting and brings a lot of focus to the face in question, which in this case is  Actor Ji Chang Wook, SuperStar!  :rolleyes:  Making something like this with a face less, ummm,  dazzlingly attractive might give some very bizarre results. :wacko:

P.S.  Don't forget the "don't quote pictures/videos" rule.  I don't really mind since it's a picture I made :wub:...but.....

Awesome!!! Looking forward to more gifs  ;-)

Thanks for the note on the pics, did not realize that. 

• Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 11:45 AM, jcwjcw2018 said:

Thanks for the note on the pics, did not realize that. 

Hey, don't fret or sweat it........it's a rule trap that most of us have fallen into at one time or another!:o  If you want to keep up with most of the rules, keep your eyes on @cherkell, or at on least her signature attached to her posts.  She keeps us reminded of the most obvious pitfalls.

In fact, re-reading your comments made me reconsider the morph GIF in question.  Most GIF software provides for automatic "looping" forever, unless you don't want it.  The morph software goes one better and adds reverse pics to complete the loop forever, thus adding to the seemingly excess motion you detected, so thanks for that, because I always forget to uncheck that box!   I have redone the GIF and replaced the original with the shorter version sans reverse looping.  Can you see the difference?  Now that there is a different GIF, you can go into edit in your post, click on the GIF until it turns blue, then hit delete, or backspace.  Presto, quoted GIF disappears and you will be golden!:rolleyes:

Still beating the drum loudly for Suspicious Partner and Soompi Awards for BEST KISS, and BEST ACTOR!  To add to the drumbeat, here is a GIF from Episode 17 (at least in my DVD version) just after the BEST KISS!  Bong Hee has retreated to her room in confusion to think things over, and Lawyer Noh is still standing, in confusion and in reflection, doing what only he can do best, which is a "nervous habit" much enjoyed by fans. 

apresbestcouplekiss3.gif

credit SBS and Suspicious Partner

• Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 9:24 AM, MyStars said:

In fact, re-reading your comments made me reconsider the morph GIF in question.  Most GIF software provides for automatic "looping" forever, unless you don't want it.  The morph software goes one better and adds reverse pics to complete the loop forever, thus adding to the seemingly excess motion you detected, so thanks for that, because I always forget to uncheck that box!   I have redone the GIF and replaced the original with the shorter version sans reverse looping. 

Still beating the drum loudly for Suspicious Partner and Soompi Awards for BEST KISS, and BEST ACTOR!  To add to the drumbeat, here is a GIF from Episode 17 (at least in my DVD version) just after the BEST KISS!  Bong Hee has retreated to her room in confusion to think things over, and Lawyer Noh is still standing, in confusion and in reflection, doing what only he can do best, which is a "nervous habit" much enjoyed by fans. 

Thanks for the tip. deleted the images now.

This was a very beautiful scene. When I was watching this show, I did not know much about JCW and did not know about his famous "tongue acting". The scene seemed so natural and not acting at all ;-)

Yes, this GIF is lot smoother! Great work!!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jcwjcw2018 said:

The scene seemed so natural and not acting at all ;-)

Aye, yes @jcwjcw2018!!  Only the very best of the very best actors can make it seem this way, and Actor Ji leads the pack in that department!  :wink:  I think his hair can act independently, too!  Someday I want to do a series about that.  

While I'm on a roll, here's another feature from Suspicious Partner, Episode 1, in the hotel.  Bong Hee made her intentions known that she will sleep with the first man she runs into.  Lawyer Noh, ever the gentleman, makes sure he is the one she runs into next.  She asks, "Do you want to sleep with me?"  He answers, "Sure, I'll sleep with you."  And the story takes off on its own.......

jcwsleep.gif

I just love watching this man's facial features come alive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Boy, I really love it when we get pictures from real life, from the outside world like the one above that @cherkellposted of Actor/Soldier Ji, Shoulder Gangster extraordinaire!  He looks healthy and fit, and runs with a fast crowd.  Basketball players and company CEOs.....my kind of guys.  

But here in Soompi-world without Ji Chang Wook's real person we have to make do mostly with memories right now.  How can we use old material and rearrange it to look new?  Well, that's where I am, anyway.  And to get away for a moment from digital art and its gaussian blurs, overlays, layers, and merge downs, color to alphas, here's just a plain ole picture from the Ji Chang Wook Museum series which I invented and will taunt you with endlessly.  Please enjoy.  There I am.........second in from the right.:)

museumbackgroundmasterfinalwithlogo.png

credits:  Museum Interior is the Portland Museum, Portland, OR.  Magazines:  Harper's Bazaar, Esquire.  Dramas:  SBS for Suspicious Partner, and Tornado Girl 2.

P.S.  Who doesn't benefit from a good gaussian blur anyway?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jcwjcw2018 said:

Amazing concept - choosing the museums !!!

You are too kind @jcwjcw2018 :wub: Really, the concept comes almost directly from Ji Chang Wook himself.......well, from the fact that I think Actor Ji is unlike anyone performing today anywhere in the world.  I've gotten into trouble before with this kind of blanket statement so I will downplay it somewhat.  So with a person as unusual as he is, the concept of protecting that art in a museum just came naturally.  And I think you are right about the black and white theme being a good fit for this kind of work; it unifies everything.  You talk like you do some digital art, or any art, yourself?  Do you?  Thanks again.

OOPS.......P.S.  Last night I was using my Roku streaming player; it has a search feature that will tell you where your favorite movie might be playing, like on Amazon, Viki, DramaFever, Netflix, etc.  I was having a JCW "jones" so I typed in "Mr. Right" that other Ji Chang Wook Chinese drama we've never seen one scene of.  Well, I was just flabbergasted when Roku told me that "Mr. Right" was available on Viki!!!!  BUT NOT!! No. Don't bother to go there.

I rushed to Viki and found a "Mr. Right" but it is the WRONG "Mr. Right."  Yes, it's a Chinese drama but I watched enough of it to get the plot.  It's about a Chinese dentist who is also a love guru.  Stop.  Enough.  Not Ji Chang Wook's double character plot, so we've been told.  Does anyone know anything more about it?  Didn't it have another title at one time?  Maybe I need to look that title up as soon as I can find out what it is.  Found it.  The other title was "My Male God" and it is due to be released sometime in 2020, due to Chinese pre-production and censorship, yada, yada, yada.   Gee, it might be out about the same time that the 2018 Soompi award winners are named.  :wink:  Ya think?

• LOL 2

I have a few hours of 'quiet time' in between drafting motions, and feel the need to post something important... as a fan of Ji Chang Wook *and* as a career patent, trademark and copyright paralegal.  I know there are many lurkers from outside Soompi, and this message is especially for them.

I have read quite a bit of chatter pleading and begging in various forums and other social media feeds where people are actually openly discussing sharing contents of the recently-released Director's Cut of "Suspicious Partner" via PM/DM/SNS, when copies were not legally purchased due to various reasons (too expensive/couldn't afford a copy; didn't order before the cutoff; wasn't planning on ordering anyway but I changed my mind now that everyone is talking about their copies; etc. etc. etc.).

WTF Seriously?

How freakin' dense are you?  In addition to not heeding the warnings attached to the SP media contents and violating every copyright law known to mankind, and even though you think you will not get caught, you will eventually be busted via the 'digital fingerprints' embedded in each DVD contained in the box sets.  The old saying "the walls have ears" is apt in this situation, because there are bots silently monitoring the interwebs just salivating over discovering an IP address casually uploading SP goodies.  Take my word for it:  Fighting a DMCA takedown takes lots of time and lots of money.

Also, did you even consider how rude and insulting this would be to the SP DVD crew who spent months and months and months getting the box set to production, only to witness their hard work be illegally spread far and wide.  Also even more insulting is that illegal sharing also takes royalties/residuals out of the paychecks of the actors and crew that worked so hard on the drama in order to have this content available to be distributed via DVD.  Don't insult Our Wook by acting like selfish jerks.

Sorry that you did not/could not purchase a legal copy for whatever reason, but being complicit in illegal distribution is worse than asking for charity.  Don't tempt the fates and have karma bite you in the butt.

Peace out.

• Like 5

Gonna get a bit salty here, as Our Wook was firmly shut out in the Soompi Awards, only winning for "Best Kiss."  I always knew that certain "fans" loudly broadcasting that they were able to create multiple voting accounts probably didn't help his cause.  Not that the process has major flaws anyway, as some of these 'winners' are questionable at best.  Allegedly discounting the votes done by bots seems to not have to made a dent in the final totals.  Hmpf.

At least we will not have to go through all this bullcrap next year since there's nothing to vote for that includes him.  But you people better get ready for when Wook returns in 2019, as he will be a force to reckon with.  So bite me twice, Soompi Awards. :angry:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Well, at least that mess is over with and us fans/me can get on to something positive.  Soompi Awards has floated a sham contest with no rules, no explanations, and no transparency, so basically anything they have to say can be disregarded by sane people.  This is not just sour grapes........nothing has been explained as to why the voting has taken such a drastic turn.  We all remember the final tallies  :o......and with all due respect to @cherkell I can't believe that Ji Chang Wook fans are more ethically or less ethically challenged than any other fans out there.  Maybe more vocal about what they were doing, but that's about all.  

I'm not going to hang my congratulations banner with everything crossed out.........As far as I'm concerned Actor Ji and the fine cast of Suspicious Partner won what the final vote tallies indicated.  Ji Chang Wook -  Best Actor, Actor Ji and Nam Ji Hyun - Best Couple, and both of them for Best Kiss.  Heck, maybe next year there will be a competitor to Soompi Forums and Awards and we fans can be treated like real  adult people.  

From Suspicious Partner, Episode 7, Waking up from the nightmare:

nightmaresuspat.gif

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, MyStars said:

Well, at least that mess is over with and us fans/me can get on to something positive.  Soompi Awards has floated a sham contest with no rules, no explanations, and no transparency, so basically anything they have to say can be disregarded by sane people.  This is not just sour grapes........nothing has been explained as to why the voting has taken such a drastic turn.  We all remember the final tallies  :o......and with all due respect to @cherkell I can't believe that Ji Chang Wook fans are more ethically or less ethically challenged than any other fans out there.  Maybe more vocal about what they were doing, but that's about all. 

We also have to take into consideration that Joon-gi has a larger worldwide fan base that's been established for years longer than Wook's fan base has been established.  But I'm still giving side-eye to the "loose lips" when Joon-gi's voters barely made a peep about creating additional accounts, and then ended up taking the whole enchilada.  If there was any indication of such, it didn't make it into the collective conscious, since I'm in his fan club as well.

Live and learn, peeps.  Live and learn...... :angry:

• Sad 2

More photos from Wook and Haneul's auditions earlier today.  Credit to and permission to share from Kim Hye Ji.  Kamsahamnida!

Note:  Soompi is not letting me edit this post via my phone.  Will have to wait until I get to a desktop.  Sorry.

• Like 6

Ahhh, love that picture @cherkell!  Thanks for posting it.  To me, a former military brat, nothing catches a girl's eye quicker than a man in uniform no matter what country he serves, and these ROK Army uniforms are particularly dashing!  Soldier Ji can turn into Actor Ji without a director, script, extras, lights, or cameras!  Well, the cameras are there, just not the big bulky ones being operated by big sweaty guys.  His stance and posture are perfect, as always.  I love the way he has the collar up and fastened.  It does serve to frame that famous face very nicely. 

The two of them (he and Kang Ha Neul) seem to be having a great time, maybe discussing the audition?  Reading the various news articles (none of which were good or informative enough to post) I see that the articles are careful to say that the guys have auditioned just like any other soldiers, and have not been cast as characters in the musical yet.  Since we all waited for forever with the Soompi debacle, I guess we have practically perfected waiting and can even outlast the ROK Army on this one.  At least we got some great pictures from the enterprising and energetic (and omniscient) IG takers!  In the really OLD olden days, military camp followers, women and children, even followed their men through battles.  I am beginning to feel just like that!  :tongue:

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Still hanging in the Wonderful World of Ji Wook and finally able,  though with regret, to move on from Suspicious Partner (at least for a while) and look back at some of Actor Ji's other accomplishments. 

I dearly love his Fabricated City.  It is such a wickedly, blackly humorous adventure, so inimitably South Korean in tone.  Maybe it is just me, but no matter how dark the subject matter there is never the despair and bleakness so often found in Western dramas.  Yep, probably just me.  I don't want to give away any plot lines for those who haven't seen it yet, but I do want to comment on a character in the movie that is not listed in the credits.  This was one of the first Chang Wook purchases I made, and I fell in love with the rusty old beater (car)  with a character all its own.  Kwon Yoo (Chang Wook) is given the car by motorists he helped. 

It took me forever but I had to find out what make and model it was, and I could only do that by using stop frame motion of the car showing what looked like a logo.  Then I had to enlarge that, then look through car logos of the world.  Found it to be a South Korean Daewoo, circa 2001.  (If anyone finds that I am wrong, please let me know!)  It's the only "character" in a Chang Wook drama or movie that could steal a scene from him, except maybe for his eunuch Golta played by Jo Jae Yun, in Empress Ki.  How the car and its character evolves in the movie is really interesting  :wink:........there, that should make you want to watch it, if nothing else.  For those in range of Amazon streaming video, Fabricated City is available to rent and has a 7 out of 10 rating from IMDB.  Wikipedia and, of course, @cherkell's Kitchen have information and reviews.

Speaking of cars and things that Actor Ji has done in or with cars, there is The K2 to consider.  The car chase scenes with Choi Yoo-jin, played by Song Yoon-ah, now that was some excitement!  So in keeping with my compulsion to need to have artwork of some kind on these pages, I did up some GIFs from both, illustrating:

DANGEROUS  THINGS  JI  CHANG  WOOK  DOES  IN  CARS :grimace:

SEE UNDER THE SPOILER :ph34r: so the pages load smoothly.

Spoiler

First, from The K2

k2strongarm-in-car.gif

credit tvN

From Fabricated City, one of my favorite scenes.  Without giving too much of the plot away, the bad guys are in the black car following Chang Wook and the Daewoo.

doing-dangerous-things-in-the-daewoo.gif

credit CJEntertainment

I hope your weekend is turning out to be as creatively restful as mine is!  Please enjoy what is left of it.

• Like 2

Hello, hello again.  I had a scare earlier this week.  Nothing really life or death, but I had a graphics card go wonky on me!  If you love digital arts I guess it was a "life or death" situation!  :wacko:  But, after two days of fighting an update to Windows 10 that did more harm than good, the graphics card is back in business which is good because I wanted to add one more little GIF from Fabricated City, which was a really good movie, by the way, and not just because Ji Chang Wook was in it, although, I have to confess, movies like this are not generally my cup of tea; I wonder if I would have watched it if it had not had Ji Chang Wook starring?  There is a certain other movie about zombies on a train that I NEVER would have watched if it had not had such a famous SK star!  That star, though not Actor Ji, is good in his own right, and the movie was worth the price of admission just to see a consummate professional at work.  Fabricated City is like that, too.  Here is a short clip of its flying Daewoo.  Fun stuff.

flyingdaewoo.gif
credit CJEntertainment

When my graphics card went south on me I was working on some pictures from Bachelors Vegetable Store, which has always been one of my Chang Wook favorites, despite featuring not one, but three dysfunctional families!  Ji Chang Wook is solidifying, career-wise, his professional manner and is delightful to watch.  With all the agony over the graphics card I forgot all my notes telling which episode this was! but I hope you like the combination of digital colored pencil art and GIF.  Please enjoy.  See under the spoiler :ph34r:.

Spoiler

bvsfacessmoothwithreverse.gif

credit Cable Channel A

One thing that distinguishes Actor Ji in this drama is that his character is a plain hardworking guy, therefore his wardrobe is not grand and his hair is a little unkempt at times, like my other favorite character in the movie Fabricated City.   BVS is one of those dramas that you fast forward through just so you can concentrate on Actor Ji, yet still get enough of the story to know what you can leave out, and what parts can be savored.

• Like 3