Ji Chang Wook 지창욱 - Upcoming Dramas: "The Queen Woo" (우씨왕후) (TVING) / "Bulk" (벌크) (JTBC) / Upcoming Movie "Revolver" (리볼버)

cherkell

1 hour ago, cherkell said:

I think it's this episode, no? 

I'm still watching this one and will let you know!  :rolleyes:   Thanks for coming up with it so quickly.  I had to laugh at myself because as soon as I plugged Infinite Challenge in the Youtube search function I knew I was not going to find the right one  any time soon, but I would have had a fabulous time watching all of them.  Either that or go back to @daloula and see if she remembered which one.  But here you come to save the d-a-a-a-y-y-y,  Sung to Mighty Mouse jingle. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsPa8QgGGkc

Ooops.  Daloula confirmed so she gets to get in on the jingle, too.

Did your trial get postponed?

• Like 2

Hello sunbaes!

That was the episode of Infinite Challenge where they filmed that special short movie, yes? I’m a bit of a G Dragon-Top stan so that’s one of my favourites!

3 hours ago, MyStars said:

So he does do things in a special way according to his characters in dramas?  Although I wonder sometimes if his own character rules what he does in dramas..........

This may seem a bit of a cop-out but I think it’s both. And not just dramas, Kwon Yoo in Fabricated City was a good example of not just character growth, but characterization. Mi-Pong is different from Donghae is different from Baek Dong Soo is different from Tae Hwan is different from Jung-Hoo is different from - and this I thought was a master-stroke - Bong Soo is different from Je Ha is different from Chang An is different from Prosecutor Noh who’s subtly different (and not just talking about the hair) from Lawyer Noh. Not to mention all the characters in his musicals.

Any actor worth his/her chops - maybe especially the ones with training - should imbue different parts with different characteristics, the really good ones - like Actor Ji - know to do this in ways both big and small. 

The glue that binds all these varied characters together, I think, is Ji Chang Wook’s charisma. It was nascent in Sol Pharmacy, raw in Smile, Donghae, harnessed in WBDS, sharpened in Empress Ki, and just unleashed in Healer. And since then I think he’s able to wield it - both on-screen and off (while on the job) - like a finely-tuned weapon. It’s just fascinating, and a delight for me, to watch. 

As for the walk? It’s (mostly) in the shoulders, my friend :D 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nadster said:

The glue that binds all these varied characters together, I think, is Ji Chang Wook’s charisma. It was nascent in Sol Pharmacy, raw in Smile, Donghae, harnessed in WBDS, sharpened in Empress Ki, and just unleashed in Healer. And since then I think he’s able to wield it - both on-screen and off (while on the job) - like a finely-tuned weapon. It’s just fascinating, and a delight for me, to watch. 

Beautifully thought out and said.  I may will keep this in paper form stuck on my computer.  

1 hour ago, nadster said:

As for the walk? It’s (mostly) in the shoulders, my friend :D 

Hmmmmm.........:unsure:.I've been trying to dissect this walk since I laid eyes on this man, and I have to say I must respectfully disagree with you at least half the time.  There are times when he gives it that extra shoulder-roll,  but then there are times when it is all in the hips, smooth and gliding, like the pull of gravity doesn't exist for him.  Being able to walk relaxed and without seeming effort like that is mesmerizing and somehow strangely comforting, like nothing is wrong in the world.

• Like 3

@MyStars - and now I must resist the temptation of abandoning “real life” today in favour of looking through footage after footage of Ji Chang Wook walking/sauntering/ambling on and off screen :D

I did get what you meant, though - was just being cheeky *grin*

• LOL 2

34 minutes ago, nadster said:

and now I must resist the temptation of abandoning “real life” today in favour of looking through footage after footage of Ji Chang Wook walking/sauntering/ambling on and off screen :D

Hah, that's mostly what I do most of the time anyway.  I am accumulating piles and piles of GIFs and movie-type files of Actor Ji strolling through cinematic life, and in real life through airports.  Those airport strolls are really goldmines.   Looking through this footage and curating it is much better than collecting stamps or Beanie Babies. 

Oh, and "Git on wit yo' cheeky self.":wink:   

• LOL 2

40 minutes ago, MyStars said:

Those airport strolls are really goldmines.

I'm a bit torn about those airport stroll videos. On one hand, I fully appreciate any sight of Ji Chang Wook (cf. watching paint dry etc.) on the other hand, they just seem to be yet another intrusion on a man who seems, for all intents and purposes, dedicated to a life of "normalcy", or as normal as it is possible to be when you're a global superstar.

Oh, I suppose it's fine when he's on the way to an official engagement etc. and I know he fully expects it by now, but sometimes though... there was a video of him at the airport on the way or back from a holiday with his mother, and there was a crowd around him as usual, and some had their phone cameras out literally in his face as he was talking to his mother. It just felt...off. And then there was that time someone bumped into him at a Starbucks in Beijing or Shanghai, and asked for a photo and he demurred. I guess maybe he wasn't feeling his best, or thought he wasn't looking his best - btw, someone needs to tell him that he always looks his best. Anyway, he demurred, but the person was stealthily video recording them as well. 

I don't get it - if you're a fan, shouldn't you respect the artiste's wishes? 

I don't know. I probably...no, definitely think too much.

• Sad 3

Hello everyone this is my first time visiting this forum (hopefully I'm not intruding) so I'm taking this chance to inform JCW's fans that the soompi awards is officially open. I wasn't sure if I can post number 2 and 3 so please let me know if I need to edit my post. Thank you:)

-Votes are limited to 24 times per category per day

-You can use your Facebook, Google, and Soompi accounts

-Voting will run from January 23 - February 20

Here are the lists of the drama categories JCW and SP are nominated:

https://www.soompi.com/awards

1. BEST SOUNDTRACK - SUSPICIOUS PARTNER OST

2. BEST KISS - NAM JI HYUN AND JI CHANG WOOK (SUSPICIOUS PARTNER)

3. BEST COUPLE - NAM JI HYUN AND JI CHANG WOOK (SUSPICIOUS PARTNER)

4. ACTOR OF THE YEAR - JI CHANG WOOK (SUSPICIOUS PARTNER)

5. DRAMA OF THE YEAR - SUSPICIOUS PARTNER

0431a70219139a728e8360c3c20b3777ff1ed8d0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

고맙습니다, @luvforever, and Welcome! Speaking for myself - you're not intruding at all! In fact, I'm sometimes worried that my posts here are driving people away, hence the relative silence :wacko:

Thank you so so much for the head's up on the soompi awards. I got the email notification and was about to alert fellow Ji-sters but you beat me to it AND have helpfully outlined the awards Ji Chang Wook is up for *grin* :heart:

P/s: Votes per category are limited to 24 per day. 아자, 아자! 화이팅!

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, nadster said:

고맙습니다, @luvforever, and Welcome! Speaking for myself - you're not intruding at all! In fact, I'm sometimes worried that my posts here are driving people away, hence the relative silence :wacko:

Thank you so so much for the head's up on the soompi awards. I got the email notification and was about to alert fellow Ji-sters but you beat me to it AND have helpfully outlined the awards Ji Chang Wook is up for *grin* :heart:

Thank you for such a warm welcome dear:D Since this is my first time visiting here I don't think your posts including the others are driving people away. I think people do lurk the thread or just most of the people who used to post here are busy with their real lives. And no problem on highlighting the categories he was nominated in as it makes it easier for us to click those categories and vote. Anything to help the SP team win. 

Before I sign off, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to Ji- sters who supported Suspicious Partner not just Mr. Ji Chang Wook but including his co-star Ms. Nam Ji Hyun. Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to acknowledge @cherkell for your time and effort for your translations and updates about Wookie. Never too late for me to say thank you everyone for giving the SP team your time and love. 

• Like 3

WOW, let a girl go to bed and sleep.........that's when the switchboard really lights up!  Witness the spate of comments about the Soompi Awards!  It's great to know that there are still opportunities to let the world know how one feels about Actor Ji Chang Wook, and the ensemble cast of Suspicious Partner!  :heart:  

10 hours ago, nadster said:

I don't get it - if you're a fan, shouldn't you respect the artiste's wishes? 

I don't know. I probably...no, definitely think too much.

Yeah, well, that is what common sense would tell you, unless the fan is more interested in being a fan who is "firstest with the mostest" in a video, or in a criticism:   (Fan #1:  I don't like that hat he wears all the time.  Me:  Fool, he wears that hat all the time because he LOVES that hat and how he feels when he wears it!  Can't you see that?  Besides, who cares what you don't like.  I'm here to find out about him, not you.)   Disclaimer:   This little scenario did not happen in this forum, but somewhere else. :ph34r:

And no, you do not think TOO much.  You can never think TOO much.  Thinking a lot is a very good thing and leads you to some mighty fine conclusions, and the emotions that go along with them.  Thank you for thinking..........

To continue the dissection of the Wook Walk, here is another example that shows how effective a walk can be, even if it is away from you.  And H/T to @daloula.

Spoiler

Ji Chang Wook from Tornado Girl 2, Ep. 2.  

more-walk-tg2-e2.gif

P. S. I just went to the Soompi voting site and saw that Nam Ji Hyun is up for Best Actress.  This category seems to be missing from the above:

1. BEST SOUNDTRACK - SUSPICIOUS PARTNER OST

2. BEST KISS - NAM JI HYUN AND JI CHANG WOOK (SUSPICIOUS PARTNER)

3. BEST COUPLE - NAM JI HYUN AND JI CHANG WOOK (SUSPICIOUS PARTNER)

4. ACTOR OF THE YEAR - JI CHANG WOOK (SUSPICIOUS PARTNER)

5. DRAMA OF THE YEAR - SUSPICIOUS PARTNER

Am I right, or am I seeing things?

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, MyStars said:

Thinking a lot is a very good thing and leads you to some mighty fine conclusions, and the emotions that go along with them.  Thank you for thinking

:). Love these walking GIF(t)s!

46 minutes ago, MyStars said:

Am I right, or am I seeing things?

Nope, you’re right. I think @luvforever was trying to keep things strictly JCW :). Btw, Choi Tae-Joon and Nara are also nominated for Best Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress respectively :). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, luvforever said:

Hello everyone this is my first time visiting this forum (hopefully I'm not intruding) so I'm taking this chance to inform JCW's fans that the soompi awards is officially open. I wasn't sure if I can post number 2 and 3 so please let me know if I need to edit my post. Thank you:)

Hi @luvforever !  This news must have hit right after I signed off for the night, so thanks for posting!

There's only a few award thingys that really count (like the Blue Dragon/Grand Bell/Baeksangs/Daejeon Press Club events, the Dramafever Awards, the KBS/SBS/MBC end-of-year shows, etc.) that we normally post in here, and the Soompi Awards are one of them.  Any category that Ji Chang Wook has been nominated in is kosher to report about, but we do try to contain mentions to His Gorgeousness himself (mission creep and all that).  CTJ, NJH and Nara have their own Soompi threads where people are 'getting out the vote'. :D

Speaking of which, I'm off to vote!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MyStars said:

Yeah, well, that is what common sense would tell you, unless the fan is more interested in being a fan who is "firstest with the mostest" in a video, or in a criticism:   (Fan #1:  I don't like that hat he wears all the time.  Me:  Fool, he wears that hat all the time because he LOVES that hat and how he feels when he wears it!  Can't you see that?  Besides, who cares what you don't like.  I'm here to find out about him, not you.)   Disclaimer:   This little scenario did not happen in this forum, but somewhere else. :ph34r:

A little story:  When I attended the KONUS Release Party in June 2015, we ran into Wook and Kangwoo and the KONUS Team at our hotel bar well after the event had ended, around 2:00am.  You could see that Wook was totally wiped out, having just flown into LAX earlier that day and then having to parade himself in front of many people who had no freakin' idea who he was.  After a couple of beers, he was more amenable to chatting and autographing, but under NO circumstances were we able to take any pictures.  And even though he knew who I was, my status still didn't allow me to feel comfortable pushing the issue.  I respected that, because Wook could have just put up a brick wall around himself and his posse and not let me approach at all.

A little respect goes a long way.  Too bad there are so-called "fans" who don't possess an ounce of common sense and think their unreasonable demands are primary to the artist's wishes.  *grrr*

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MyStars said:

Did your trial get postponed?

It did, but only until 5 March, so we're still in Major Trial Preparation Crisis/Triage.  But it's not as insane as it was at the end of 2017, so I was in bed by 9:30pm last night to try and chip away at my sleep deficit. :tongue:

10 hours ago, luvforever said:

Thank you for such a warm welcome dear:D Since this is my first time visiting here I don't think your posts including the others are driving people away. I think people do lurk the thread or just most of the people who used to post here are busy with their real lives. And no problem on highlighting the categories he was nominated in as it makes it easier for us to click those categories and vote. Anything to help the SP team win.

The cold, hard truth is "out of sight; out of mind" when it comes to K-entertainers.  I've noticed that after an actor starts his military service, the posts in their respective Soompi threads kinda drop off a cliff.  And the way that the K-industry has been cranking out new hotties by the truckloads lately, there's always a new bright, shiny penny to lust after.  There have been several Wook fansites that have changed their focus or have closed up shop completely over the past few months.  We'll just keep the porch light burning for when his fans return to the fold after his discharge. :wub:

• Like 6

2 hours ago, cherkell said:

It did, but only until 5 March, so we're still in Major Trial Preparation Crisis/Triage. 

What a NOT pleasant state to be in, but I guess it's better than all out Trial Without Preparation insanity.  Sleep well.

2 hours ago, cherkell said:

We'll just keep the porch light burning for when his fans return to the fold after his discharge. :wub:

Keep the porch light and the home fires burning, and I was gonna drag out miles of yellow ribbon, but then I remembered that song was about a guy returning from prison, so no to that one.  Wait, what?  Wikipedia says:

This is NOT the story of a convict who had told his love to tie a ribbon book to a tree outside of town. I know because I wrote the song one morning in 15 minutes with the late lyrical genius Irwin Levine. The genesis of this idea came from the age old folk tale about a Union prisoner of war--who sent a letter to his girl that he was coming home from a confederate POW camp in Georgia.... Anything about a criminal is pure fantasy....

— L. Russell Brown[2]

And goes on to say:  The origin of the idea of a yellow ribbon as remembrance may have been the 19th-century practice that some women allegedly had of wearing a yellow ribbon in their hair to signify their devotion to a husband or sweetheart serving in the U.S. Cavalry. The song "'Round Her Neck She Wears a Yeller Ribbon", which later inspired the John Wayne movie She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, is a reference to this. The symbol of a yellow ribbon became widely known in civilian life in the 1970s as a reminder that an absent loved one, either in the military or in jail, would be welcomed home on their return.

So, for Soldier Boy Ji Chang Wook,
.........foolish songster that I am/we are:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cherkell said:

The cold, hard truth is "out of sight; out of mind" when it comes to K-entertainers.  I've noticed that after an actor starts his military service, the posts in their respective Soompi threads kinda drop off a cliff.  And the way that the K-industry has been cranking out new hotties by the truckloads lately, there's always a new bright, shiny penny to lust after.  There have been several Wook fansites that have changed their focus or have closed up shop completely over the past few months.  We'll just keep the porch light burning for when his fans return to the fold after his discharge. :wub:

You are definitely right on the spot there. I've been a kdrama fan half of my life and one thing I've noticed was the effects of military service. However, as new generation of actors show up I feel like newer fans or should I say 'youngsters' are more attracted to them. I think the thought of waiting scares some fans, therefore, they look for someone else. We just have to accept that some fans will come and go. Hopefully, after his discharge they will come back. 

18 hours ago, nadster said:

:). Love these walking GIF(t)s!

Nope, you’re right. I think @luvforever was trying to keep things strictly JCW :). Btw, Choi Tae-Joon and Nara are also nominated for Best Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress respectively :). 

Hello dear @MyStars yes you are right Nam Ji Hyun, Choi Tae Joon, and Nara were nominated on some categories as well but since this is my first time posting here I didn't know the rules nor do I want to post it since this is Wookie's individual thread just like what @nadster said. I did post on the other thread all the categories for the SP team nominations since I think most of us there started out as fans of them. The more people voting the more chances to win.

16 hours ago, cherkell said:

Hi @luvforever !  This news must have hit right after I signed off for the night, so thanks for posting!

There's only a few award thingys that really count (like the Blue Dragon/Grand Bell/Baeksangs/Daejeon Press Club events, the Dramafever Awards, the KBS/SBS/MBC end-of-year shows, etc.) that we normally post in here, and the Soompi Awards are one of them.  Any category that Ji Chang Wook has been nominated in is kosher to report about, but we do try to contain mentions to His Gorgeousness himself (mission creep and all that).  CTJ, NJH and Nara have their own Soompi threads where people are 'getting out the vote'. :D

Speaking of which, I'm off to vote!

You are very much welcome dearie:D 

After what happened with the unfair treatment of SBS Drama Awards to the SP team especially Wookie I had to step up on trying to at least give recognition to their hard work they poured in throughout the entire filming. I'm sure they know how loved and appreciated they are from the fans but I guess this is just a little contribution for my part to help out especially considering this is Wookie's last project before he enlisted. You had me cackling at the bolded part but hey dearie sharing his gorgeousness is always caring. I mean who wouldn't fall for his charms.

It has been a busy day for me so I think it's my cue to head out. Gotta do my piece of contribution to vote first before I go. Once again, thank you everyone for voting and your unconditional love and support. Till next time!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, cherkell said:

We'll just keep the porch light burning for when his fans return to the fold after his discharge.

At which point, I'll probably be happy to hand over the torch to someone less neurotic, :huh:. @MyStars, here's one song that keeps coming into my head when I think of the...er...condition I find myself in, for your amusement, but really only the first verse applies (and apologies for the horrible visual). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUDZD0ZAk1Y

Don't forget to vote today, Chingus! https://www.soompi.com/awards/category/drama/actor-of-the-year

@cherkell - all the best for your trial, and hope you do manage some sleep and rest between now and then!

• LOL 2

4 hours ago, nadster said:

At which point, I'll probably be happy to hand over the torch to someone less neurotic, :huh:

You say "less neurotic" like being neurotic is a bad thing.......:crazy:.  For shame........dissing all of us with major neuroses. 

seriously.gif

Aishhh......seriously?

Besides, you're the best kind of "less."

Love the music, and looking at Steve Carrell sideways is always funny; the pancakes and syrup add a sweet touch. ( See what I did there?)  I have never watched this movie so it is on my "to do" list, so thank you for that.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MyStars said:

For shame........dissing all of us with major neuroses. 

No, no, no...just as usual whopping my own head (and heart) with a dose or 10 of reality as always :D 

2 hours ago, MyStars said:

Besides, you're the best kind of "less."

Awww, 전말 고마워. Although I kind of expected you to say I was the best kind of "neurotic" :rolleyes:.

By way of both apology and thanks, here is something joyful as we head into the end of a workweek (and maybe some rest for Captain @cherkell, too!) and to cheer us on for the Soompi Awards. 화이팅!

Spoiler

eKhYUgv.gif

This made me so happy! Also helped me stay awake through a 9PM con-call on merger simulation analysisszzzzzz....

An advanced TGIF, beloved fellow appreciators of one of the menschest of men! :wub:

• LOL 3