[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

Guest wizengamot
5 minutes ago, camchoe said:

After watching ep 10 i still wonder why all the kids did not prepare the birthday party for Dong Ryung as they did for Teak previously? They even didn't know he dissapeared on his birthday until getting the phone call from him next day?

i guess because Dong Ryong already told Jung Hwan the future plans of his birthday. Remember, he told Jung Hwan that his mom is going to cook him seaweed soup. meanwhile during Taek's birthday, none was prepared by his dad (maybe because they both know that Taek have competition at that time or because the kids already planned something out so he didn't cook anymore or maybe he doesn't know how to cook seaweed soup haha)

i'm sure an episode would be dedicated for Dong Ryong too. Like in R97, the character Bang Sungjae who has no loveline and the comical part of the group, he got a touching episode with a halmoni.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest imanQistina

Hi,

can i ask.. sorry to mention other site.. about the hard sub at DramaC, it is just only me who found out that the sub is not syn or do other people here have the same problem with me? its happened to me for episode 9 & 10. 

Guest wizengamot
1 minute ago, imanQistina said:

Hi,

can i ask.. sorry to mention other site.. about the hard sub at DramaC, it is just only me who found out that the sub is not syn or do other people here have the same problem with me? its happened to me for episode 9 & 10. 

yeah the hard sub seems to appear way ahead of the intended time. you could go to myasiantv.com

Guest kdramaobsessed_sara
15 minutes ago, valNK said:

The reason I found BR is so interesting is how viewers react to her is just the same with other characters in the drama. Some hate/annoy her and some love her so much. 
So I just want to say something for my Bora. She's definitely not good, SW admitted that too. But she's pretty cool. I dont hate her even she was so hateful in the first episode, I just believe in Reply series, there's no Richard Simon :D  So she's not that one. She just acts like a surly cat to everyone.

I agree that there’re some exaggeration in the character to impress DS’s middle child suffer. But BR still has her own aura to capture the scenes. Till ep10, we clearly see DS not really understand BR. In DS eyes, BR still is a sister who takes all parents care and pride, but she’s lazy, drink and smoke (which is considered very bad even for boy) and not really hard-working like people thought. DS always says BR just plays and joins social activities but gets all the compliments, which makes DS feel more unfair and more displeased with her sister. Maybe DS is just a high schooler and and so simple to understand university students’ lives. So she just care for her sister as a family member, but not really knowing BR’s difficulties.

For BR, in ep1 and 2, we always saw the 2 girls fighting. And there was only 1 reason for the fight: DS's impertinence. You should know Koreans really serious with hierarchy in society and family, so it's easy to understand why BR takes it as the reason to fight with her sister. 

About the birthday, just 3 days apart, so the parents definitely choose the first one to celebrate for both daughters. And you know, I'm short-sighted too, so with old glasses and cant see anything at school is really inconvenient and even it can make you furious. Glasses are your eyes and they're on your face 24/24, not like clothes or anything else. Having 2 separated birthday parties or buying glasses, to a poor family like the Sung, the answer is clear. It’s not really a big deal in BR’s pov. It’s about how parents should do for their kids.

BR never objects DS's wish for her own birthday party, she just annoyed because DS cut off her saying which was considered impolite. We also dont see BR request for anything else except the glasses. She's offered the best part of chicken and fried egg, she just took it automatically like an habit which is created by parents unfair treatment. To her, it’s like she’s the best in everything she does so she obviously deserve the best treats. But when they give her options, we saw her refused to eat many good dishes, and just ate fried egg only. 

The funniest thing I see about the birthday is SW and DS share the same birthday while BR's birthday is the day his dad past away. When I watched this, I think SW-BR would have a connection for sure. And now, I bet that BR would never have her own birthday again in the rest of her life once she dates and marries SW =))

BR's independent. She stands for her rational mind much more than emotion. That''s why she want to separate her stuff to DS. She warned but DS kept using her make-up and clothes. We all saw DS's scene is cute and funny, but stands on BR's shoes, you'd see it annoyed. However, when BR took her dress away from DS in ep6, DS screamed that she want to kill BR too. Just the same reaction for both girls when their stuff are stolen by the other, but the winner is always the smarter.

How social hierarchy important to BR keeps show up in next episodes, when she fixes SW and DR greeting. SW used banmal and DR teased her. That’s contradicted to the fact she dates a younger boy and will make the whole neighbors surprise later. 

BR does not discriminate in hierarchy but even in academic level. When the girls fought about the jean jacket, DS' reason is BR's rude with mom and why a uni.student has to wear nicely, they just need to study. But BR's reason is if you study too bad, you dont have right to yell at me. In ep 4, it showed how BR was reckless DS and DR's studying. She totally has no good feature to be a teacher or even just a tutor. But she agreed to tutor them with no complain.

All the problems of this character is concluded by the BF's judgment: cold heart,emotionless, always be the best and treating everyone like trash. But in fact it's not her attitude, just her expression.

In ep2, like the title of this episode, the character shows another side. It's not the soft BR, but an-oldest-sister in BR. She does care for her siblings and she's just rational and has strong spirit. And in ep5, it showed why BR is so tough and aggressive. 
Her confliction keeps showing in next episodes. She told DR that in young age, having rich parents seems better than having kind ones. Because she knows how much she and her siblings suffered from living in poverty. DS cant have a brand shoes, NE has to do part time job to have money to date his gf. And BR switched her major from law to education which totally not suitable for her wish and her personality. 
Once you have to learn and follow a career that you know it's not for you just to cut down your family's burden, you cant do what you want to do just because of the sake of family, you will never find happiness or peace in your mind, and the anger and confliction inside you is all from your family and you'll blame on them. You see how Sung dad spend his money, you can see how BR dissatisfied with her parent. It's not like BR does not love her family, she's just dissatisfied with her condition.
That's why BR's first reaction when mom ran to her and protect her from the cops is annoyed. She's smart, she denied that she was not SBR to avoid being arrested, but mom called out her name, which pushed her to trouble and be arrested for sure. Then she saw the blood in mom's toe, that's when her emotion rise over her reason, she admitted she did wrong (not for protesting, but for scaring her mother)
And when BR advices DR to talk to his parents, and just run away again if thing’s not better, it seems like her own wish too. She just does thing which can bring the real effect. But they can’t live without parents, even if they raise their voice, or even the most influence person in family, child is just a child to their parents, things just remain like in DR cases. But because of this saying, I believe BR will leave her parents once day to pursue her dream. Distance and time may the only method for family members to realize how much they mean for each other.
Little by little, the character show off in each episode. Even dad doesn’t believe her soft and warm side, but she never care for that. She keeps do thing in the tough and neglect way, just like to distract people attention to her and her own world. She's the type that doesn’t want to involve in complicated relationship or sympathy since herself has enough confliction. 

And just remember DR once said that girls act nice in front of the one she like, if she's comfortable to show her crazy side to them, it's because she doesnt see them as man. BR showed 

bad-tempered even with Taek who is always like a nice and poor puppy to everyone. She avoided skinship with her bf, even after knowing her problems which led to their first breakup. But with SW, she's treated different since they were younger. Even refusing his invitation can drive her crazy. Acting like an adult in front of him and his friend makes her displeased and speechless... She's still a girl with some nonsense characteristics and easy fall for the boy who really cares for her, just like DS.  

With BR, if people do not understand, they may fear/annoy/hate her (like DS and the neighbors and the BF), but if they know her well, they will love her a lot (like mother, JB and SW)

Thanks for sharing this. I want to see BR in a different light, but I guess being a middle child clouds my judgment. After she was arrested, I thought she'd have some sense knocked into her. But damn, she went to another protest.. three months after her first arrest.

30 minutes ago, valNK said:

The reason I found BR is so interesting is how viewers react to her is just the same with other characters in the drama. Some hate/annoy her and some love her so much. 
So I just want to say something for my Bora. She's definitely not good, SW admitted that too. But she's pretty cool. I dont hate her even she was so hateful in the first episode, I just believe in Reply series, there's no Richard Simon :D  So she's not that one. She just acts like a surly cat to everyone.

I agree that there’re some exaggeration in the character to impress DS’s middle child suffer. But BR still has her own aura to capture the scenes. Till ep10, we clearly see DS not really understand BR. In DS eyes, BR still is a sister who takes all parents care and pride, but she’s lazy, drink and smoke (which is considered very bad even for boy) and not really hard-working like people thought. DS always says BR just plays and joins social activities but gets all the compliments, which makes DS feel more unfair and more displeased with her sister. Maybe DS is just a high schooler and and so simple to understand university students’ lives. So she just care for her sister as a family member, but not really knowing BR’s difficulties.

For BR, in ep1 and 2, we always saw the 2 girls fighting. And there was only 1 reason for the fight: DS's impertinence. You should know Koreans really serious with hierarchy in society and family, so it's easy to understand why BR takes it as the reason to fight with her sister. 

About the birthday, just 3 days apart, so the parents definitely choose the first one to celebrate for both daughters. And you know, I'm short-sighted too, so with old glasses and cant see anything at school is really inconvenient and even it can make you furious. Glasses are your eyes and they're on your face 24/24, not like clothes or anything else. Having 2 separated birthday parties or buying glasses, to a poor family like the Sung, the answer is clear. It’s not really a big deal in BR’s pov. It’s about how parents should do for their kids.

BR never objects DS's wish for her own birthday party, she just annoyed because DS cut off her saying which was considered impolite. We also dont see BR request for anything else except the glasses. She's offered the best part of chicken and fried egg, she just took it automatically like an habit which is created by parents unfair treatment. To her, it’s like she’s the best in everything she does so she obviously deserve the best treats. But when they give her options, we saw her refused to eat many good dishes, and just ate fried egg only. 

The funniest thing I see about the birthday is SW and DS share the same birthday while BR's birthday is the day his dad past away. When I watched this, I think SW-BR would have a connection for sure. And now, I bet that BR would never have her own birthday again in the rest of her life once she dates and marries SW =))

BR's independent. She stands for her rational mind much more than emotion. That''s why she want to separate her stuff to DS. She warned but DS kept using her make-up and clothes. We all saw DS's scene is cute and funny, but stands on BR's shoes, you'd see it annoyed. However, when BR took her dress away from DS in ep6, DS screamed that she want to kill BR too. Just the same reaction for both girls when their stuff are stolen by the other, but the winner is always the smarter.

How social hierarchy important to BR keeps show up in next episodes, when she fixes SW and DR greeting. SW used banmal and DR teased her. That’s contradicted to the fact she dates a younger boy and will make the whole neighbors surprise later. 

BR does not discriminate in hierarchy but even in academic level. When the girls fought about the jean jacket, DS' reason is BR's rude with mom and why a uni.student has to wear nicely, they just need to study. But BR's reason is if you study too bad, you dont have right to yell at me. In ep 4, it showed how BR was reckless DS and DR's studying. She totally has no good feature to be a teacher or even just a tutor. But she agreed to tutor them with no complain.

All the problems of this character is concluded by the BF's judgment: cold heart,emotionless, always be the best and treating everyone like trash. But in fact it's not her attitude, just her expression.

In ep2, like the title of this episode, the character shows another side. It's not the soft BR, but an-oldest-sister in BR. She does care for her siblings and she's just rational and has strong spirit. And in ep5, it showed why BR is so tough and aggressive. 

Her confliction keeps showing in next episodes. She told DR that in young age, having rich parents seems better than having kind ones. Because she knows how much she and her siblings suffered from living in poverty. DS cant have a brand shoes or feels shy to tell friends she lives in basement and NE has to do part time job to have money to date his gf. And BR switched her major from law to education which totally not suitable for her wish and her personality. Once you have to learn and follow a career that you know it's not for you just to cut down your family's burden, you cant do what you want to do just because of the sake of family, you will never find happiness or peace in your mind, and the anger and confliction inside you is all from your family and you'll blame on them. You see how Sung dad spend his money, you can see how BR dissatisfied with her parent. It's not like BR does not love her family, she's just dissatisfied with her condition.

That's why BR's first reaction when mom ran to her and protect her from the cops is annoyed. She's smart, she denied that she was not SBR to avoid being arrested, but mom called out her name, which pushed her to trouble and be arrested for sure. Then she saw the blood in mom's toe, that's when her emotion rise over her reason, she admitted she did wrong (not for protesting, but for scaring her mother)
And when BR advices DR to talk to his parents, and just run away again if thing’s not better, it seems like her own wish too. She just does thing which can bring the real effect. But they can’t live without parents, even if they raise their voice, or even the most influence person in family, child is just a child to their parents, things just remain like in DR cases. But because of this saying, I believe BR will leave her parents once day to pursue her dream. Distance and time may the only method for family members to realize how much they mean for each other.

Little by little, the character show off in each episode. Even dad doesn’t believe her soft and warm side, but she never care for that. She keeps do thing in the tough and neglect way, just like to distract people attention to her and her own world. She's the type that doesn’t want to involve in complicated relationship or sympathy since herself has enough confliction. 

And just remember DR once said that girls act nice in front of the one she like, if she's comfortable to show her crazy side to them, it's because she doesnt see them as man. BR showed bad-tempered even with Taek who is always like a nice and poor puppy to everyone. She avoided skinship with her bf, even after knowing her problems which led to their first beakup. 

But with SW, she's treated different since they were younger. Even refusing his invitation can drive her crazy. Acting like an adult in front of him and his friend makes her displeased and speechless... She's still a girl with some nonsense characteristics and easy fall for the boy who really cares for her, just like DS.  

With BR, if people do not understand, they may fear/annoy/hate her (like DS and the neighbors and the BF), but if they know her well, they will love her a lot (like mother, JB and SW)

Thank you!!!! you literally take out everything i like about Bora..with my limited knowledge and lack of emotion in my sentences...i will do no justice to Bora characteristic...thank you for explaining in details about my favorite character in R1988....

i would like to give you more like but cannot...hurmmmm

29 minutes ago, camchoe said:

After watching ep 10 i still wonder why all the kids did not prepare the birthday party for Dong Ryung as they did for Teak previously? They even didn't know he dissapeared on his birthday until getting the phone call from him next day?

i feel sad for DR because none know he disappeared on his birthday either friends or his parents.I think birthday thing isnt a big deal for ssamundong squad. In their birthday, i think they choose to spent this day with family more than with friends. We didnt see they celebrated DS or SW birthday too. We just see DS celebrate her birthday with her dad and family. Its different for TK condition, he is like national treasure and their little bother for them. so they throw a party for him. Yeah TK always be special case for this squad.

Thanks to everyone who has been providing background information and digging up titbits for us! It certainly helps to appreciate this series more :)

On Bora, I agree she has to change her temper and the way she interacts with people. But she definitely cares for her family. The way I see it, her relationship with DS is like this because they have very different personalities and outlooks on life. 

Bora is the overachiever and focused go-getter who pours her entire energies into her studies. She is a self made woman and an unyielding idealist. She will not let anything stand in her way in reaching her goal, even if it is family (well, except for her mom that 1 time). She sees things as clearly black or white - there is no room for grey in her view. Justice is fairness and is what should be upheld (she will soon have to learn about mercy too, perhaps Sunwoo will teach her that). Everything to her is a serious affair and she operates based on rational thinking instead of emotions. To her, emotions are not important and making decisions based on emotions will always lead to disaster (which is why she appears to be an unfeeling "rock" as her ex called her). 

Deoksun on the other hand, is a very happy go lucky kid. As the middle child, she is neglected but so as to keep the peace at home, she doesn't say much about it and continues on her way laughing and choosing not to dwell on matter. Perhaps her happy go lucky character was developed to help her cope with the feelings of neglect. Deoksun just wants to be happy and be loved. She sees her parents struggling and does her best to help them in any way she can. As long as everyone else is happy, she is happy too. Nothing else is as important as being happy because if not then, what is life? So in this sense, she is the total opposite from BR i.e. she uses her emotions to make decisions instead of logic. 

Now you can see just how these two can misunderstand each other even if they cared for each other. If you watch the scene where Deoksun was recalling how Bora was scolding her during a tutoring session, you can get the gist of Bora's concern. True she is harsh but from her words, you can tell that she is concerned for Deoksun's future (because you know, to Bora your future is determined by how well you can study as this will open up doors to good jobs) and tells her to be serious and use her brain and treat her studies seriously instead of playing all the time. Naturally to Deoksun, this is just asking for too much since she has no interest at all in studying. Bora even pointed out to her parents that Deoksun's problem is her lack of concentration, not that Deoksun was dumb (which led to the hilarious baduk scene lollll). 

Right now we are at the halfway mark and I expect their relationship to get better. Deoksun is slowly learning to think first before acting. She carefully ponders what Junghwan has been doing for her. As for Bora, we can all see that her attitude is a bit softer now and I think Sunwoo will have good influence on her. 

I do wonder how Bora will end up in Harvard (assuming this happens). Will she get a scholarship then? Perhaps this will happen as Sunwoo needs to enlist? :tears:

35 minutes ago, valNK said:

I agreed.. Her character is so interesting. By the way, I have 1 friends that her personality soo similar with Bora (minus the hitting part) . My friend really have bad temper. She always scold people even her best friends. Her tongue sharp like knives. She make everyone turn away from her since our school time until now. But if you know her better, she is soo warm friends. She loves animal. She love to donate to charity. Every month she allocated her salary to donate to animal organisation, Palestine relief, and many more. She also cover insurance for both her parent. And I can say, she is really dependable. If we need any help, she will be there for us. So what I want to say it. Actually a person has many layer. If I compare myself with her, I can say that i'm more likable and easygoing but I think to have a good heart and warm heart like her, is something I need to work for it more.

On December 5, 2015 at 8:40 AM, honeywell said:

Yeah the preview has the gang watching TV minus Taek and DS.  JH is in pissy mode so I'm assuming he gave the tickets to Taek so that he can watch it with DS.

I hope he does this or steps back. As much as I was all "hoe don't do it" this is one of those sticky situations where I completely understand and feel like it's not noble idiocy but true to life. If Taek were some random work buddy and not that close of a friend, I would smack Junghwan for such a move, but he's not. Taek is a life long friend, they known each other since like elementary school. They grew up together and I'm sure have been through many triumphs and failures with one another. They share so much history and I'm sure the sentiment between them and the rest of the squad is that if ever you need anyone at your best, worst, and everything inbetween; call and I'll be there. Taek isn't a friend, he's a brother, he's family, and there are just somethings you don't do to a brother/family (which is why I like to think Bora had no clue of Deok Sun's flimsy "crush" on Sunwoo -so it's not his name in the diary she read?- or she would never start something until she got 100% okay from Deok Sun). It's the reason Yoonjae stepped aside for his hyung and many years later when hyung learned the truth, he did the same for Yoonjae. It's also the reason the writer had Taek admit his feels to his boys instead of one-on-one with/to Deok Sun or even Junghwan.

The squad is family. They are supportive of one another and do what they can to make the other happy. Now that the boys know off course they will cheer Taek and do what they can (leaving the two alone in a room, etc) to make sure their "little brother" they adore so much gets his happiness with the sister they also love and think "match" one another. If Junghwan were to go ahead and pursue Deok Sun without some kind of pow wow with the squad/Taek and let them know of his feels and what had been going on and the things that had been brewing with him and Deok Sun right under their noses; it would be seen as a huge betrayal not only to Taek but the squad as a whole because they have established rules. Rule # 1: Friends/family first aka "bros over hoes" like my friends and I are "chicks over d**ks". Right or wrong, Deok Sun became "Taek's girl" (same as Sunwoo became Deok Sun's "boyfriend" amongst her friends) the second Taek made it known that he likes her as a woman. Junghwan and Deok can't openly date unless the two of them agree to be like 'forget Taek and his feels' and deal with the fallouts (not gonna happen) or everyone gets on the same page and becomes open with and takes responsibility for their own feelings and their feelings for others.

I will be kind of mad if Junghwan doesn't try (and ultimately fail) to keep Deok Sun at arm's length. I think it's a shown and established part of his character to do for those he loves and cares about even if it leaves him bruised or broken (or others, poor Bong hyung) and or is not something he may practically like or want to do. This is the guy who knuckles up to fight the town's baddest thugs for Dong Ryeong, gets his shoes stolen for his efforts, and doesn't mention it or even ask for new shoes, until it is brought up to him by his mother and he sees that asking for shoes will make her happy. He gave a punch and took a beating by a grade A a-hole for Sunwoo (I love that he is the only one beat up. Oh, I'm sure the boys tried to help him but were most likely held back/down by the other two bullies. It made everything that came after more touching in a way) then brushed off an apology or thank you because for him it's not needed, and instead asked after and showed concern for Sunwoo (he asked about his broken treasured necklace). That scene is when I fell in love with Junghwan. The whole sequence of events said so much about his character and who he is. To him it is instinctive to do for those he loves and cares about. Even if it may mean he gets hurt or broken along the way, or even if it's not something he particularly wants or likes to do; he still does it. He doesn't do it to be credited and a lot of time he doesn't need or want credit. Junghwan may be prickly and not mince his words but at his core he's a very caring person who does what will make those around him happy and that's reason enough for him. 

Junghwan is a lot like his mother in that aspect. One thing I really loved about episode 10 was how caring mama Kim (my queen) was to papa Kim. For all her complaints and refusal to join in her husband's jovial attitude, she was genuinely concerned when he stopped because she knows him and that mopey man was not her husband. A lot of times I wonder how the two of them fell in love, got married, and stayed married. Then they show me why they fit. It was so caring the way she kept trying to find out exactly what makes him so down. I really saw her love for him and fangirled like crazy when she said she would find the girlfriend that broke his heart and bring her to him if it would make him happy. I know she was joking about that, but the sentiment behind "I'ld do that and more of it'ld make you happy " was very much real. Then his response that she's the only woman for him. I love them. I feel like that's the type of relationship adult Deok Sun and her husband share. They go back and forth with on another (I honestly think that's just their way of flirting and they do a different kind of biting when the interviewers leaves) but the under current of love and a happily shared life is still very evident. 

Future hubby has no chill and I love it! I crack up at every scene containing him. The last bit in ep 9 where adult Deok Sun is barraging about how he must of liked her so much and remembers every moment shared with her...then he tells her the date is on the photo, ha! I was dying at him golding her on with "you feel embarrassed don't you" LOL and then she bit him, and told him to choke on his offered water, hahaha. I live when he looks in the camera kinda of apologetic smile, a bit trying to keep up appearance. It felt like he's saying "I'm sorry we're not always like this", like he knows they look a fool. Ha! I enjoy it all because I know there is no malice or hurt feelings involved in their behavior. They are just an old married couple and that's just their style. I'm starting to feel LMH's adult Deok Sun these last few eps. I don't know who did what, but they are starting to feel like an adult of the same person (I swear she gets some facial expressions and mannerisms spot on) and I'm so happy about that. 

Am i the only one who likes Bora? Also i noticed that a lot of people are against her protesting and think it's bad. When historically speaking, if not for brave and smart students like her, korea wouldnt be what it is today. She bravely sacrificed her own health, time and even a chance of being alive for the sake of her country. That's such a rare character to have, because she approaches in a wider scale rather than focusing her troubles on mundane things.  She does have an evil and crazy personality at times, but if you look at the inner layers of how she was written, she's actually great. I mean, in the future she definitely improved. She contributed to reality that benefited the country, where do we see another character like this?

1 hour ago, kdramaobsessed_sara said:

Thanks for sharing this. I want to see BR in a different light, but I guess being a middle child clouds my judgment. After she was arrested, I thought she'd have some sense knocked into her. But damn, she went to another protest.. three months after her first arrest.

Like if DS doesnt fight back to BR, just stay nice and obey her sister, so what else to say abt DS? The sisterhood became not unique anymore.

Family is important but when compared to the fight for social changing, it's nothing. Sometimes you must choose between your ideals and your family. If BR lets family keep her backward and turns her fight spirit down after 1 incident, there's nothing more to say abt this character but just a coward and short thinking girl. The point here is she keeps fighting and hiding this from her parents. She's the best at fleeing (according to NE) :D

11 minutes ago, Nikka Gaddi said:

Am i the only one who likes Bora? Also i noticed that a lot of people are against her protesting and think it's bad. When historically speaking, if not for brave and smart students like her, korea wouldnt be what it is today. She bravely sacrificed her own health, time and even a chance of being alive for the sake of her country. That's such a rare character to have, because she approaches in a wider scale rather than focusing her troubles on mundane things.  She does have an evil and crazy personality at times, but if you look at the inner layers of how she was written, she's actually great. I mean, in the future she definitely improved. She contributed to reality that benefited the country, where do we see another character like this?

agree!!...because of the students persistence we go the korea now....i dont see anything wrong with that as long as her result maintain....i see no reasons for her to not joint the protest....

she do has short temper..that the thing she have to work out...

one thing i dont like when BR and DS have their fight because of DS used disrespect tone to her, DS will cry for help...i was like what??? u start it 1st and once u got handled by BR, u cry for help??? huhuhuhu

29 minutes ago, Nikka Gaddi said:

Well, multiple people just said why they liked her, so no you aren't 

And her activism has never been most people's problems, but how she treats her family and the people of the neighborhood.  When it comes down to it, she'l be "nice" and help, but that doesn't excuse her outwardly attitude at times.  Using age hierarchy is an interesting excuse for her behavior, but she also scares the adults and protests against other adult's in the gov. and school.. So, it's a bit of a conundrum isn't it?  I can see people's reasoning in why they think she's justified in acting like she, and enjoying her growth and character, but I can also totally understand why people don't like her.  I'm sort of torn in the middle with her.  I like her more than I did, but I'd rather she get less screen time and someone like DR or even JB got more. 

Just now, phadungpon said:

YESS!! Finally I find the one think same me

I agree with you friend in my previous post i said about adult DS career and one of my theory is she becoming an Air Hostess because in EP.4 i see the airplane model in her room and it airplane model is look like the Korean Air 

And i think her skill language is so good in EP.9 she has a conversation with Jang Pyo very good 

Reveal hidden contents

image-1030_56513FB3.jpg

Great point! :) DS is pretty much suited for a career in either the tourism or entertainment industry. 

I'm also very intrigued on how the rest of the crew's career paths, it's going to  be a very interesting ride particularly for JB lol! I can see him as an antique collector, working in a museum, quirky history teacher with all the collection of stuff he has haha. 

1 hour ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

I hope he does this or steps back. As much as I was all " hoe don't do it" this is one of those sticky situations where I completely understand and feel like it's not noble idiocy but true to life. If Taek were some random work buddy and not that close of a friend, I would smack Junghwan for such a move, but he's not. Taek is a life long friend, they known each other since like elementary school. They grew up together and I'm sure have been through many triumphs and failures with one another. They share so much history and I'm sure the sentiment between them and the rest of the squad is that if ever you need anyone at your best, worst, and everything inbetween; call and I'll be there. Taek isn't a friend, he's a brother, he's family, and there are just somethings you don't do to a brother/family (which is why I like to think Bora had no clue of Deok Sun's flimsy "crush" on Sunwoo -so it's not his name in the diary she read?- or she would never start something until she got 100% okay from Deok Sun). It's the reason Yoonjae stepped aside for his hyung and many years later when hyung learned the truth, he did the same for Yoonjae. It's also the reason the writer had Taek admit his feels to his boys instead of one-on-one with/to Deok Sun or even Junghwan.

They squad is family. They are supportive of one another and do what they can to make the other happy. Now that the boys know off course they will cheer Taek and do what they can (leaving the two alone in a room, etc) to make sure their "little brother" they adore so much gets his happiness with the sister they also love and think "match" one another. If Junghwan were to go ahead and pursue Deok Sun without some kind of pow wow with the squad/Taek and let them know of his feels and what had been going on and the things that had been brewing with him and Deok Sun right under their noses; it would be seen as a huge betrayal not only to Taek but the squad as a whole because they have established rules. Rule # 1: Friends/family first aka "bros over hoes" like my friends and I are "chicks over richard simmons". Right or wrong, Deok Sun became "Taek's girl" (same as Sunwoo became Deok Sun's "boyfriend" amongst her friends) the second Taek made it known that he likes her as a woman. Junghwan and Deok can't openly date unless the two of them agree to be like 'forget Taek and his feels' and deal with the fallouts (not gonna happen) or everyone gets on the same page and becomes open with and takes responsibility for their own feelings and their feelings for others.

I will be kind of mad if Junghwan doesn't try (and ultimately fail) to keep Deok Sun at arm's length. I think it's a shown and established part of his character to go do for those he loves and cares about even if it leaves him bruised or broken (or others, poor Bong hyung) and or is not something he may practically like or want to do. This is the guy who knuckles up to fight the town's baddest thugs for Dong Ryeong, gets his shoes stolen for his efforts, and doesn't mention it or even ask for new shoes, until it is brought up to him by his mother and he sees that asking for shoes will make her happy. He gave a punch and took a beating by a grade A a-hole for Sunwoo (I love that he is the only one beat up. Oh, I'm sure the boys tried to help him but were most likely held back/down by the other two bullies. It made everything that came after more touching in a way) then brushed off an apology or thank you because for him it's not needed, and instead asked after and showed concern for Sunwoo (he asked about his broken treasured necklace). That scene is when I fell in love with Junghwan. The whole sequence of events said so much about his character and who he is. To him it is instinctive to do for those he loves and cares about. Even if it may mean he (or others, poor Bong hyung) gets hurt or broken along the way, or even if it's not something he particularly wants or likes to do; he still does it. He doesn't do it to be credited and a lot of time he doesn't need or want credit. Junghwan may be prickly and not mince his words but at his core he's a very caring person who does what will make those around him happy and that's reason enough for him. 

Junghwan is a lot like his mother in that aspect. One thing I really loved about episode 10 was how caring mama Kim (my queen) was to papa Kim. For all her complaints and refusal to join in her husband's jovial attitude, she was genuinely concerned when he stopped because she knows him and that mopey man was not her husband. A lot of times I wonder how the two of them fell in love, got married, and stayed married. Then they show me why they fit. It was so caring the way she kept trying to fin out exactly what makes him so down. I really saw her love for him and fangirled like crazy when she said she would find the girlfriend that broke his heart and bring her to him if it would make him happy. I know she was joking about that, but the sentiment behind "I'ld do that and more of it'ld make you happy " was very much real. Then his response that she's the only woman for him. I love them. I feel like that's the type of relationship adult Deok Sum and her husband share. They go back and forth with on another (I honestly think that's just their way of flirting and they do a different kind of biting when the interviewers leaves) but the under current of love and a happily shared life is still very evident. 

Future hubby has no chill and I love it! I crack up at every scene containing him. The last bit in ep 9 where adult Deok Sun is barraging about how he must of liked her so much and remembers every moment shared with her...then he tells her the date is on the photo, ha! I was dying at him golding her on with "you feel embarrassed don't you" LOL and then she bit him, and told him to choke on his offered water, hahaha. I live when he looks in the camera kinda of apologetic smile, a bit trying to keep up appearance. It felt like he's saying "I'm sorry we're not always like this", like he knows they look a fool. Ha! I enjoy it all because I know there is no malice or hurt feelings involved in their behavior. They are just an old married couple and that's just their style. I'm starting to feel LMH's adult Deok Sun these last few eps. I don't know who did what, but they are starting to feel like an adult of the same person (I swear she gets some facial expressions and mannerisms spot on) and I'm so happy about that. 

Well said.. I remember when Deoksun's confession post card got returned because she put sticker instead of real stamp, then Junghwan sent it back to the Starry Night radio despite of how heartbroken he was. I think he will do the same with Taek this time by giving the concert tickets. But Junghwan's self sacrifice needs to stop. Maybe it will take a while until they mature enough to decide and understand that Deoksun's own feeling is also important. Let's the girl decides too

45 minutes ago, kasjady said:

Great point! :) DS is pretty much suited for a career in either the tourism or entertainment industry. 

I'm also very intrigued on how the rest of the crew's career paths, it's going to  be a very interesting ride particularly for JB lol! I can see him as an antique collector, working in a museum, quirky history teacher with all the collection of stuff he has haha. 

My idea for the crew's career paths:
I'm pretty sure either Sunwoo or Junghwan would become medical students. Maybe Junghwan will? He studies well and has his hyung spending time in the hospital that can serve as motivation for medical studies. (And i wouldn't be surprise if Trash oppa happens to be their classmates/colleagues in medical school.)
Taek would still be the well respected badduk champion, maybe become a badduk coach? 
DS can be actress or flight attendant :D
Dongryong maybe become a teacher like his dad? But a much understanding and good homeroom teacher we often see in drama haha. But given how poorly he does academically, maybe he would open up business.
Bora... i hope she won't become teacher lol. 

P.S. I love to see other characters' appreciation posts and not only the main love triangle :D <3 <3 On the other hand, it's only Wednesdays :((((

Guest wizengamot
1 hour ago, valNK said:

Like if DS doesnt fight back to BR, just stay nice and obey her sister, so what else to say abt DS? The sisterhood became not unique anymore.

Family is important but when compared to the fight for social changing, it's nothing. Sometimes you must choose between your ideals and your family. If BR lets family keep her backward and turns her fight spirit down after 1 incident, there's nothing more to say abt this character but just a coward and short thinking girl. The point here is she keeps fighting and hiding this from her parents. She's the best at fleeing (according to NE) :D

yeah, i'm quite impressed with Deok Sun and No Eul for not fighting back with Bo Ra. I don;t know but maybe that's what most kids are. I'm the eldest child and the age difference between my sister (second) is one year and brother (third and youngest) is three years. Though we used to get in physical fight when we were little, as we grew up my younger siblings, i don;t know if scared is the word but somehow they don;t get into fight with me anymore and they readily obeys me without much complaint. 

3 hours ago, valNK said:

Her confliction keeps showing in next episodes. She told DR that in young age, having rich parents seems better than having kind ones. Because she knows how much she and her siblings suffered from living in poverty. DS cant have a brand shoes or feels shy to tell friends she lives in basement and NE has to do part time job to have money to date his gf. And BR switched her major from law to education which totally not suitable for her wish and her personality. Once you have to learn and take a career that you know it's not for you just to cut down your family's burden, you cant follow your ideal just because of the sake of family, you will never find happiness or peace in your mind, and the anger and confliction inside you is all from your family and you'll blame on them. You see how Sung dad spend his money, you can see how BR dissatisfied with her parent. It's not like BR does not love her family, she's just dissatisfied with her condition.

about highlighted part, may i know in what episode was it @valNK ???

Archived