[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

1 hour ago, kasjady said:

Great point! :) DS is pretty much suited for a career in either the tourism or entertainment industry. 

I'm also very intrigued on how the rest of the crew's career paths, it's going to  be a very interesting ride particularly for JB lol! I can see him as an antique collector, working in a museum, quirky history teacher with all the collection of stuff he has haha. 

Agree with you. DS will be great as a woman with career in entertainment industry and tourism also looks good enough for her. She already describe as pretty girl so i think that industry will be good for her. and for the rest of the squad, i think SW or JH will have the career like yoonjae or junhee (both are 1st and 2nd too right?). One will be work in law field (judge, prosecutor or lawyer) and one will be in medical inst (this two job field is most prestigious for korean ppl). Maybe JH who will be a doctor because of JB hyung (or he will pursue his child dream become a profesional soccer player?and become the 2nd park ji sung?hahahahahahahaha).DR hmmmmmm an entrepreneur maybe. Bora if she still in the education mayor not switch to law school maybe a professor in uni?. My incredible JB hyung will be a collector ofc with all of his unique collection. ah cant wait!!!!!!!! but must face this friday episode first (prepare my heart,my eyes, my scream i dont know what kind of cruel or troll things that will be happened)...ep 15 still seems far away for now....

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nikka Gaddi said:

Am i the only one who likes Bora? Also i noticed that a lot of people are against her protesting and think it's bad. When historically speaking, if not for brave and smart students like her, korea wouldnt be what it is today. She bravely sacrificed her own health, time and even a chance of being alive for the sake of her country. That's such a rare character to have, because she approaches in a wider scale rather than focusing her troubles on mundane things.  She does have an evil and crazy personality at times, but if you look at the inner layers of how she was written, she's actually great. I mean, in the future she definitely improved. She contributed to reality that benefited the country, where do we see another character like this?

I don't think it's that people don't like Bora, it's that they don't like how she disrespects people when she wants to with that crazy temper of hers as well. 

Other aspects of her personality and morals are great on the other hand. She gave up her dream of being a prosector so she could save the family money by taking a scholarship. She believes strongly in democracy and takes part in 'being Korea's future'.

What I can't find to my liking is (and this is a great thing for a character to have flaws too tho) that Bora talked back to her parents saying 'you don't know anything!' or 'you wouldn't understand!' after her parents worried for her and yelled about why she went to go protest. In a true fashion of a young adult/teen (but really she's an adult come on), she rejected her parents and went with the easy answer of shutting them out and not even trying to explain why it matters to her. 

And then she got arrested but went to another protest anyway. I don't mind that she wasn't sorry for protesting and was sorry for making her parents worry, but seriously, she must not be in her right mind to go to another protest. She really has no fear.

Another thing that's worrying me is that people are saying it's okay Bora yells and fights with her sister because it's a sibling thing and Deoksun deserves it for being rude??? ... idk I don't even particularly like Korea's whole hierarchy thing. I'm chinese and I get it because I would never call my brother by his name and only say 'big brother' or else it's quite rude and I'll get reprimanded. But using that argument and the whole 'Deoksun takes Bora's stuff like an annoying little sister' argument just doesn't cut it for me. It doesn't excuse Bora from using that frustration and venting it in a horribly wrong way like beating your little sister and yelling crazily.

It's also because I'm a little biased from a little sister point of view, I would know how Deoksun feels. Being reprimanded by Bora for 18 years, being called stupid and worth nothing for 18 years, who wouldn't give up 'hierarchy' by then and just yell back. After a while of feeling so low about yourself because your older sibling is the more favored one, you feel like you're actually worth nothing and don't deserve love (because Deoksun is not that good at studying, she must think she doesn't deserve anything she asks for)

Yes, I admit Bora has a lot of good qualities that makes her such a good character but this does not excuse her actions or make up for her bad qualities as a whole. We just have to accept that she needs to fix some things.

Okay, I totally love Bora! Yes, she is rude and angry, sometimes very rough. But I love that aspect of her, the fact that most of the time, she does not make excuses. Let's speak frankly here, if Bora was a guy, a lot of people would describe him as strong and would find that aspect of him endearing because he is a man, he is manly. I love how in R1988, such a character is a woman!!! Yes, she is not perfect but no one is in that series. She is ungrateful but so is DR in a way, and yet no one criticize him because, oh poor him, he is all alone!... Sure the aspects are different but it is so much easier to find excuses for men's rudeness and for not seeing the big picture... but Bora should be understanding... Bora had to give up a lot for her family and I am sure she is conflicted because of that... She is only human. And I love that!

I have a question - did JH really re-send the postcard? I thought she sent a new one. Didn't she go to see JB after to make sure the postcard was catchy enough? I don't think the one JH read is the same one as the one that was read on the radio! Am I mistaken?

5 hours ago, wizengamot said:

on a different note:

while rewatching the last episodes for the nth time, i've realized something. Fro Deok Sun, who thinks that she always seem to receive the short end of the stick when it comes to her parents' love and attention, I'd really like her to receive so much love. It's not even a matter of who fits the future husband character to me anymore but someone who gives attention and adoration to her. Someone who goes out of their way and even out of their character and go for the extra mile to make her happy. Someone who will prove that "Love" is an action word and not merely a feeling to be declared.

but chinggu, you know there is someone who can give her all that:D; Make her feel happy, appreciated and make her feel like she's the priority for once in her life. Someone who will wait if she comes home late, someone who remembers what she wants for a present, and I believe that person will be able to take care of her for the rest of her life too.

1890164897_371c3785_Download_2015_12_03_

@carolinedl It wasn't the same postcard JH found in the post box because the contents were slightly different. So I guess Deok-sun must have made more than one postcard to send it to the radio station (just like Jung-bong oppa)

Ok another feminist post from me: I love how JH is with DS, how he remembers little things and truly listens to her. But I don't think she needs to be taken care of and protected. What I like about them is that it is a relationship based on equality in a way. They are different sure but those differences became cute. For instance, when they are arguing: DS is not as bright, but she manages to always answer back. He does not treat her like a fragile thing either. They fight and bicker a lot too. I like the fact that they are multiple sides to them and to their relation. Alos, I think he manages to fill in what she lacks: she always complained that as a middle child, she is put aside a lot. I feel like JH listens to her and does little things that matter and that she might be 'lacking'. But she is quite strong too you know...

Guest kdramaobsessed_sara

I'm not sure if someone has already posted it. But I'm posting it anyway.

Here's the full English lyrics of Memories of summer day (여름날의 추억) by Lee Jeong-seok (이정석)*:

At the lonely beach after the season
Only the breaking tides remain
Inside my broken heart
The memory of the summer days still wavers

At the beach where nobody visits anymore
A song about burning love is played
Remembering you, who is gone now
I sit alone and sing the love song

Our short summer passed and so did my love
And the image of you disappeared with the waves
Now no one replies even if I call your name
You became a memory now

My summer days won't come back again
They won't come back again

tumblr_nywh40wzCo1to1fhoo1_500.jpg

*Taek-Deoksun background song at the beach

Link to the song here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly5axjs9dCw&feature=youtu.be

2 hours ago, luffypyon said:

Well said.. I remember when Deoksun's confession post card got returned because she put sticker instead of real stamp, then Junghwan sent it back to the Starry Night radio despite of how heartbroken he was. I think he will do the same with Taek this time by giving the concert tickets. But Junghwan's self sacrifice needs to stop. Maybe it will take a while until they mature enough to decide and understand that Deoksun's own feeling is also important. Let's the girl decides too

Errmmm...we can only assume that JH was the one who sent to post card to the radio station properly but it WASN'T shown that he was the one who sent it back to the station correctly for her.

30 minutes ago, mellinadear said:

Errmmm...we can only assume that JH was the one who sent to post card to the radio station properly but it WASN'T shown that he was the one who sent it back to the station correctly for her.

Well I assume it's correct hahahahaha :D That's why Lee Moon Sae finally read it in radio. 

1 hour ago, carolinedl said:

Okay, I totally love Bora! Yes, she is rude and angry, sometimes very rough. But I love that aspect of her, the fact that most of the time, she does not make excuses. Let's speak frankly here, if Bora was a guy, a lot of people would describe him as strong and would find that aspect of him endearing because he is a man, he is manly. I love how in R1988, such a character is a woman!!! Yes, she is not perfect but no one is in that series. She is ungrateful but so is DR in a way, and yet no one criticize him because, oh poor him, he is all alone!... Sure the aspects are different but it is so much easier to find excuses for men's rudeness and for not seeing the big picture... but Bora should be understanding... Bora had to give up a lot for her family and I am sure she is conflicted because of that... She is only human. And I love that!

I have a question - did JH really re-send the postcard? I thought she sent a new one. Didn't she go to see JB after to make sure the postcard was catchy enough? I don't think the one JH read is the same one as the one that was read on the radio! Am I mistaken?

No, it's before she got JB tips how to make her post card gotten read. She sent a lot of post cards before but never been read. Then she came to JB. JB really had good creativity drawing his postcard. Deoksun's postcard that had been read by Junghwan was with cute colourful drawing of Deoksun, totally from Jungbong's tips.

Timeline plot this drama is back and forth, I understand if some people get confused, same with the time Deoksun slipped chocolate in sunwoo's bag on september'88 come first before the scene Deoksun's friends told Deoksun Sunwoo like her on August'88, then the plot came forward again to the field trip on october'88

I like the the idea that DS could be an air hostess or hotelier (rather than celebrity)

And I agree with most of you guys, SW and JH may become doctor or prosecutor. I think JH will be doctor and SW will be professor for some science subject or law maybe. I have no idea for Taek, because I'm not sure about banduk popular in korea. DR can be a civil officer like Sung Jae in Rep97 since they have same characteristic. And JB... who knows if this lucky boy's gf is daughter of a museum owner :))

BR will change her major and study for law/prosecutor. But I just have a crazy idea that what if BR will go abroad and take DS with her? Bora is not like type that can take care of herself. And for DS, in US, there's more chance for her whose academic level is underestimated by Korean social standard? They have an uncle living in US too.

When all loveline get trouble or reach climax of complex, someone will leave, right? That's the only way Reply series make time jump. But Taek, JH and even SW not seems like they can go abroad or leave to anywhere to attend university (since they're living in Seoul already)

For 5 years, every character has to go along themselves. The story and their own stories will be back when the 2 girls come back to this alley.

I really wonder where that whole postcard thing came out from... The one that is read on the radio is NOT the same one that JH read.  I don't think he sent it back! Am I completely wrong? As much as I like JH, I don't think he did that.

I always thought the postcard that the DJ read was from someone else and not DS's.  As for DS's postcard, JH was being childish at the time when DS had a crush on SW so it wouldn't surprised me if we get flashbacks that he threw it away or kept it in his drawer.

Guest aoikarin

I apologise to all TeamTeak friend here that this post might bring you mood sour. I just watched Ep. 9 and I just confirmed that the only clue I hold so far (that the husband might be TAEK), which is "left handed" husband was indeed a red herring. The husband is not Left handed. He's a right handed. Watching it carefully at minute 1:28:11- 1:28:12.. husband hold the glass with right hand and switched it to left hand because he wanted to take a look the photo frame that DS show it to him. OOh well, this time just like PDnim told us.. It's so obvious, no husband hunting.. the clues all favors to JH. Well, at least we know that Taek's first love is DS, he'll pass through his brokenheart well because of his excellent selective memory, So.. PDnim I hope don't make him more chilbong than chilbong himself.

Now, I just want everything the best for Taek eventhough he won't end up with Deok Sun. #teamTeak

Let's enjoy watching the rest episode and I'll cheering PBG everytime he's on screen.

Guest ajengau
1 hour ago, carolinedl said:

Ok another feminist post from me: I love how JH is with DS, how he remembers little things and truly listens to her. But I don't think she needs to be taken care of and protected. What I like about them is that it is a relationship based on equality in a way. They are different sure but those differences became cute. For instance, when they are arguing: DS is not as bright, but she manages to always answer back. He does not treat her like a fragile thing either. They fight and bicker a lot too. I like the fact that they are multiple sides to them and to their relation. Alos, I think he manages to fill in what she lacks: she always complained that as a middle child, she is put aside a lot. I feel like JH listens to her and does little things that matter and that she might be 'lacking'. But she is quite strong too you know...

Hahaha why so true. And I love the way things are really not cheesy. He always managed to hold back, put on poker face, talk less while hiding away his smile, waiting for the right time when no one is around just to cherish and smile, over very little things she did.

Guest ajengau

So much looking forward to what ep 11&12 would be like. It seems from the preview that DS might start to develop her feelings for JH after realizing the little things he had done for her. Meanwhile, JH might start to stay away from her because of Taek's sudden confession. I love the way some post above this explained the way they have been living that it's almost impossible for JH to fight against Taek over DS, sacrificing their precious friendship.

That's just how I much I predict but it'll be great if the real scenario turns out much better.:wub:

19 minutes ago, aoikarin said:

I apologise to all TeamTeak friend here that this post might bring you mood sour. I just watched Ep. 9 and I just confirmed that the only clue I hold so far (that the husband might be TAEK), which is "left handed" husband was indeed a red herring. The husband is not Left handed. He's a right handed. Watching it carefully at minute 1:28:11- 1:28:12.. husband hold the glass with right hand and switched it to left hand because he wanted to take a look the photo frame that DS show it to him. OOh well, this time just like PDnim told us.. It's so obvious, no husband hunting.. the clues all favors to JH. Well, at least we know that Taek's first love is DS, he'll pass through his brokenheart well because of his excellent selective memory, So.. PDnim I hope don't make him more chilbong than chilbong himself.

Now, I just want everything the best for Taek eventhough he won't end up with Deok Sun. #teamTeak

Let's enjoy watching the rest episode and I'll cheering PBG everytime he's on screen.

What about the coffee in ep 2...?

7 hours ago, Nurul Choerunnisa said:

(sorry for cutting your post)
Omoooo ... Thanks a bunch for this lyric english translation. Actually I'm trying to collect english translation of Reply 1988 playlist lyrics (because, yeah, I knew background songs in Reply series matter). But some songs lyrics are just really hard to find. Fiuhhh.

Hey, I've been re-timing and editing the DF subs to include English translations of songs that I can find. And also changing the subs according to the Chinese subs and including historical faqs that they have. Would you like to help me out with doing that? 

**Looking for more volunteers too :). Please PM if interested!!

Guest aoikarin
26 minutes ago, Wendy Wang said:

I'll check it later in ep 2. ^^

26 minutes ago, Wendy Wang said:

I'll check it later in ep 2. ^^

Archived