[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throwback! B) dam dadidam dadidam dadidam~

And some more ssangmundong youth...

You can find these songs in a playlist. As far as I know it's the most complete compilation of songs used in Reply 1988, not only the OST but also the good oldies. All of the songs have FMV too. There are some JH-DS themed FMVs so I'll put the link to the playlist under spoiler. Enjoy :)

23 hours ago, melissala said:

Thank you so much for sharing these articles straight away after the banned has lifted up from this thread. I have been looking for the translated of these interviews for days now... huhu.. thanks again ;)

21 hours ago, otomame said:

Some of the parents (or all of them? I'm actually not sure) weren't born and raised in Seoul, they lived in other towns before coming to Ssangmundong so some of them still talk in their hometown dialect. I think it's really cute when the moms (especially Deoksun's mom) start talking in their dialect :lol:

Can we also talk about the amazing music used in Reply 1988? Thank you Reply 1988 team for introducing me to so many Korean songs from the 80s and endless blessings to the person who made the playlist

I've been listening non-stop to Lee Sun Hee's 나 항상 그대를 for weeks now :lol:

I LOVE the songs in this drama... The last time I'm falling for the drama and the songs in it for Reply Series was R97. I've become H.O.T fan because of Sung Siwon and H.O.T songs really matched with my taste hahaha XD that SMP(Yoo Youngjin)'s sound hahaha... and R88 have like the best songs of the era too!!! freaking love it!!! I didnt have that deep affection with R94 so I didnt pay much attention on the songs... but different with R97 & R88. I just love the ballads and pop from 88... 

I actually dont mind if Reply are going to do Reply 1980 or Reply 1974. Before watching Reply 1988, I thought that I cant relate to it as much as I relate to R97 & R94 (since I was born in 90) but R88 definitely shows that it doesnt matter what year. The events, the culture at that time matters... If they can portray the people life during that time, the plot and characters, it'll be so cool and since I trust Shin Wonho and Lee Woojung reply production, so I believe in their production quality. 

Because of R88, I even look out about controversial South Korean's president Chun Doo Hwan that Jung Bong met at the Baekdamsa Temple. His case was really interesting. If they'll make Reply 1980, I'm pretty sure they'll touched on the Assasination of Park Chung Hee the current South Korea president Park Geunhye's father and the Gwangju Democratization Movement which the movement that lead to the demonstrations by university students which Sung Bora joined in R88. these events really interesting... since I have a quite admiration on the historical things, so I love these kind of events being portrayed in drama hehe :D 

I accidentally watched Hyeri's acting in Hyde, Jekyll & Me. Maybe because her character is small in the drama, but I can sense that her acting has improve by A LLLLLOOOOTTT through R88. I didnt catch her Seonam Girls High School drama with Lee Minji yet but just from Hyde, Jekyll and Me, I can see that she really put a lot of efforts in R88. With the direction of Shin Wonho-PD nim, she really becoming a real actress. I really hope to see in other drama project. to see her become more mature in acting. She has become one of my fave idol-actor now :)

I love this drama. I'm currently in my rewatch mode... hahaha.... I seriously cant get away from this drama yet... huhu.. everyday listening to the OST songss of this drama... I'll be keep on lurking in this thread and the shipper thread... reading all the new discoveries, analysis etc. :) 

2 hours ago, Melania Phan said:

i learnt from my experienced watching previous reply series. i almost die waiting next week to see next episode and figure out the husband. and now i am waiting until the drama finish.... and here i am now, just finish the series... 

overall compare to previous reply series, this reply is more about family and friend and not focus only to 2 people, and i thought that they are all main lead... i know every body already write their thinking, but i also want to express my feeling about this film...

first, i want to know (hope somebody can give me answer), is the life of senior high school really hard in korea? i see they must attend night class until 11 PM, even they study in study room until 1 AM and have to go back to school tomorrow morning. in my country, i have class from 7.00 - 15.00 AM and i already feel s*ck about it, i can't imagine if i must study until midnight, and it is safe if they go home at midnight? 

i also want to comment about the neighborhood and the parents. i really like how they act, they always gathering every day, and i know for sure they might closer than family.. i never see the neighborhood like that recently, every body is busy with their work until night and they prefer to meet at club or cafe, and just come home at late for sleep... frankly speaking, i only knew some of my neighbor and even i only knew their name... so sad =(

the next is for those 5 younger people...just like their parents, these 5 people are closer more than family... i really love their friendship..

i like SW and BR couple. SW is so brave and he can see the inside of BR, she might look cold outside but have warm heart inside, she just don't know how to act cute and friendly. he also didn't hesitate to confess although every people scare with BR. even though SW is younger, he can protect BW and act like gentleman... i am happy they end as married couple. btw i am speechless in wedding ceremony when BR see his father's shoes and he smile and say don't cry... they know they are love each other without word,.. aaarrrggghhh i hope i will not cry like that in my wedding day

finally i want to say something about the love triangle JH-DS-TK. if i don't know the ending, i will guess that JH is the husband because he have long love story with DS from the start but from inside my hear i root for TK, cos i love him very much....i really like when he smile at DS at his father and i think he is more mature than his friend actually. every body threat him like children (because he is world champion), so at first i think he is so childish, but when he say for sure that he like DS, and then he say that he want his father happy (when his father asking his permission to marry), when he call the doctor to help JH father, and also when SW hesitate to talk about their parents but TK know his thought.. i agree that he is mature man and quite man.so i am happ the husband is TK...

but i know the feeling of team junghwan,... when the writer decide to jh confess such a joke...wowwww it makes me heartbreaking... just like this? his crush for 6 years end only like this? at least i want to know how DS reaction, is she also knew or take it as joke also? but i know if not like that, DS will awkward and their friendship will end. at least jh learn something from his first love. he is very good son and friend, even thoguh he looks like cold man... actually i don't feel DS like SW and JH also, she just want to date like her friends, so she know that there is man who like her, so she persuade them so they can say that he love her.. she just want to dating (it's common for teenage girl)...but in time when she already doesn't care about love, suddenly she realize that she like TK. true, it just come naturally, start from she care and gradually become love... love is about caring for someone, we can't care to someon but don't love him. i think it start from beijing when she look the other side of TK (he is not just kid that she take care of again). 

Overall i am satisfied about this reply series (although 1997 is the first one for me - cos i love romantic movie)... but 1 thing that i disapointed is the ending... actually i want to see when their parents and friend know about DS-TK relationship - she say double in law is more serious than surname, i imagine their parents will be very shocked.. hahahah

i heard that next reply series is 1974? r u serious??? i haven't born at that time,,. and i am sure most fans of reply series also haven't born yet in 1974... please please don't 1974... i am not excited and i can't imagine how old the film...

i am glad i can sahre my thought in this forum.. i always be fans of reply series.. good job all....

got to say I saw this drama play out like this.

3 hours ago, shooastrid said:

Yay we finally get all threads back! Woohoo, feeling energized everyone?

I am inviting all of us to do rewatch, this time we are going to cover Episode 2. However, please feel free to connect it with whichever episode you want to cover in your analysis.

We are going to do it NOW, in the Taek x DS shippers thread. Come join us!!

As a side note, just in case you are wondering why we are so excited about rewatch session, it's because we always find new details every time. I was late for the rewatch for Episode 1, however, I did my homework, and I just want to share one bit of interesting finding from Episode 1 here:

It's amazing how elaborately built LWJ's Reply Universe is. If you don't believe me, TK's dad's brain hemorrhage in Ep 9, has been foretold as early as Episode 1. Take a look at screenshots below:

-cut the photos

Here Kim Sajang tasted the curry, and commented: "Oh! Sun Woo's mother made this, right? It's so hard to make curry taste bad."

Ra Mi Ran asked back: "How did you know?"

Kim Sajang: "It's ... obvious." And then he mimicked the face of brain hemorrhage patient.

As we know, salty food is one of the main cause for high blood pressure which can trigger brain hemorrhage. Whose cooking is that curry again? It's no other but Sun Woo Mom's cooking. Who marries her in the end? It's Papabear, who happens to be the one suffering for brain hemorrhage in Episode 9.

@hafunohane was right. Everyone in this series are foreteller in some way, they just don't know it.

Now with this kind of details, when some people accuse the writer as being random, I just scratch my head. She has everything mapped out since the very beginning.

Brain hemorrhage was a plot device in Episode 9, serving multiple purpose. It happened, so that DS has to accompany TK in China. We all know how this trip ended. It awaken DS's senses of the other side of TK, her future husband. We also got to see her caring side which is the fundamental aspect of their relationship to her choice of career. The brain hemorrhage also serving the purpose of connecting the two adults, SW's mom and Papabear. In both cases, each couple started to see each other in a more romantic light (TK X DS & Papabear x SW Omma) after this incident.

It's amazing to know that it was planned out as early as Episode 1! 

So, let's do rewatch guys, who knows what we are going to discover this time? :D 

Thank you @shooastrid , we really had a great time..everytime we have re-watch I felt grateful to writers,Pds ,staff of this drama...their effort is really amazing... You will love the drama more.. 

Looking forward for our next session..^___^

5 hours ago, packmule3 said:

Questions and Answers

Re. the milk

Question #19 from @hafunohane: Hey, packmule3! What do you think of this glass of milk? Do you think that DS made it for Taec like @Phuong Tam Nguyen said? 

Short Answer: It enhances the script, but I don't think DS prepared it. :)

<pic>

Long Answer:

Frankly, @hafunohane, I don't know how DS did it. She was rejected by Taec three times. And she took it calmly each time.

First, there was no response after she gave him chocolate. Of course, he denied receiving it because JB "intercepted" it. 

Second,  he snubbed her with the "Aaniya".  When asked by SW if he liked DS, Taec honest-to-goodness laughed and denied liking her. Grrr....And to think that they had just spent a memorable day at the beach.

Third, they shared the sweetest kiss an innocent girl could ever possibly dream of, yet the following day, he dissed her whole lovely experience. :crazy: How?

1) he couldn't even tell if it was real or imagined,   

2) he mumbled to himself that "it was a relief" that the whole kiss was only a dream,

3) then, he dismissed HER dreamy reality as mere "nonsense", and -- to top it all, 

4) he brushed HER away saying it was nothing for HER to be concerned about.

lol. See the irony?

A few minutes earlier, she was rehearsing how to act "unconcerned" and nonchalant and cool about the kiss TO COVER UP that she was ECSTATIC about the kiss.  And now here was Taec telling her that the kiss was indeed nothing for her to be "concerned" about. :blink:

Honestly, I don't know how DS could have walked away without her face revealing the whole thing. My 18 year old self would have teared up, my face would have crumpled, my bottom lip would have stuck out in a glorious pout, and the drama queen in me would have wailed, "What am I? ORANGE JUICE?!! Chopped liver?!! You soooo did kiss me last night, you Pabo!"

HEY! HEY! HEY! I could do "makjang" in 3 seconds flat. ;)

But DS simply walked away to go to school, pretending her heart wasn't broken. and TK just sat there, consoling himself with his milk.  Why? because friendship was their priority at this stage in time.

Unbeknownst to each other, they had sacrificed their first love for their Ssangmungdong friendships.  Noble idiocy-lite. 

And that's why I think @Phuong Tam Nguyen is brilliant. You caught the time loop, @Phuong Tam Nguyen!

I told you that the director/scriptwriter liked to play with timeloops to bring the past and the present together in ALL their Reply series. And this is one of them. Good job spotting it! :)

This 

<pic>

is connected to this:

<pic>

But no, I don't think DS made the milk.

There wasn't time for her to do it unless she had some kind of magical timepiece like in Harry Potter, and stopped the time so she could run off to his house, warm the milk, leave it on the table and then, resumed time again.

There wasn't any OPPORTUNITY for her to do it. 

However, those two "highlighted" scenes -- DS laying out her things on the table and TK seeing the warm milk on the table -- looped back in time when they last had a meaningful encounter. WHERE THEY LEFT OFF.

That time, DS went off to school, TK sat and drank milk. Now, six years later, THEIR TIME together will resume. The clock will start ticking for them again. They will pick up their relationship from where it was temporarily suspended:  that moment she walked away. 

So, DS returns now. 

The passage of time is marked by the things she keeps in her pocket. She's grown up. She has a pack of freshmint bubblegum, a pager, and tickets for a concert. These are evidences that she's a young woman with an active dating life. 

Bubblegum = For fresh breath, critical for the dating scene. 
Pager = She has a social life; people contact her. 
Concert tickets = She has a date coming up.

Tapping fingers = Thinking of her next move, waiting

TK returns home, too. 

His home is still a darkened place like in Episode 2. He's still alone. But he too has grown up. lol. He doesn't have a dad anymore to fuss over him; he's got a mom now, SW's mom. He drinks...a little. He takes sleeping pills...and he can lie about it now without looking guilty. He still doesn't like people to fuss over him so he tells SW's mom to go to bed. 

Then, he finds on the table milk as nightcap. lol.  SW’s mom is the one who prepared it for him. She waited for him. She worried that he would take sleeping aids again. In her quiet way, she encouraged him to drink milk as alternative to his pills.

These props, the bubblegum, pager, concert tickets and milk all serve as a bridge between past and the current time. They prompt the viewers to the next movement in the drama. 

And in a big way, they enhance the FORESHADOWING in the script.

You see, when DS taps her fingers while looking at the objects on the table, she is foreshadowing her wait at the concert hall. She has a date [bubblegum] who'll inform her that he can't go [pager] so she ends up at the concert hall [tickets] by herself.

Her tapping her fingers foreshadows her wait outside in the cold.  

Meanwhile, TK’s move to bring the milk to his room foreshadows his decision to choose DS above other things. Six years ago, he JUST sat there. This time, however, he goes up to her and brings her inside the concert hall with him

Do you see that? Time resumes and their relationship corrects itself.

Their FIRST LOVE = LAST LOVE = TRUE LOVE = UNENDING LOVE = EVERLASTING LOVE

As for the milk? lol. Didn't you know? kekeke.

Milk = DS.

Didn't she tell him at the very beginning to drink up his milk so he could marry her fast? :phew: Here, @rynn_peace was insightful. Milk is a substance for growth, children drink it to grow bigger and better. Similar to how his relationship with DS makes TK older and better.  

The milk in this Episode 18 foreshadows DS in his future life. The milk here is a nightcap. It’s a drink to help him go to sleep. It was a healthier substitute for his pills.

DS, as we all know, is the best nightcap EVER for him. :phew: She is the best substitute for the pills. :phew::phew: She helps him go to sleep. 

According to him, he stopped taking pills as soon as he dated DS.  ;)

There you go, @hafunohane.  I'm sorry, @shooastrid, there's no baduk report again. 

THE FULL ANALYSIS WITH PICTURE IS ON PAGE 529

@packmule3 Thanks so much for your insight packmule. I love how the scenes are connected in a time loop. I like the idea of TK and DS grow up, pick up what they left in 1989 and fight for their love in 1994. 

And YES to this hahaha

DS, as we all know, is the best nightcap EVER for him. :phew: She is the best substitute for the pills. :phew::phew: She helps him go to sleep. 

Awhile back you shared 2 wedding parodies and I think I have seen the 3rd one :D 

I tried to search for the identity of the Chinese Empress' paintings on the walls (there are 2 of them) but I couldn't identify exactly who the 2 women in the paintings were. BUT I did some research on the clothes and the postures.

I guess one of them is Empress Wu Zetian (lying down + holding something, seen on the left wall). This woman is usually depicted with such a posture. The 1st frame is from ep 19.

123.jpg

and the other one is Empress Dowager Cixi (with the eyes looking at one side). In all the Ancient Chinese portraits I've found, she was the only one having those eyes. The 1st frame is from ep 19.

234.jpg

And she was wearing a red robe. As I know, Empress wore yellow robe more often than red one when they were in court. Red robes, on the other hand, would be worn on special events such as festivals, ceremonies or WEDDINGS.

Moving on to the scenes.

Possible wedding parody (Ep 19)

Stage 1: The bride was worried before the ceremony. She was not ready to watch the groom.

1_4.jpg

Stage 2: Walking in.

2_2.jpg

Stage 3: Greetings the guests.

3_2.jpg

Stage 4: Wine serving. (the Empress was approving and watching this hahaha)

4_2.jpg

Hide contents

Here another wedding ceremony takes place hahaha

5_2.jpg

These look similar to the actual procedures of the traditional wedding ceremony

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-30%20at%2011.22.ceremony.jpg

Stage 5: The bride was waiting for the groom to go back.

6_2.jpg

Stage 6: The first night...7_1.jpg

Of course these are only my personal opinions and parodies are just for fun :D Enjoy~~~ *Jung Bong's voice*

BONUS!!! Thanks to my brilliant roommate @moonkeeper

Remember their first date in ep 8? The movie was "The last emperor"

12345.jpg

This kid is actually Puyi, and he's related to Empress Cixi (the woman on the painting from my guess above). From Wiki:

"Chosen by Empress Dowager Cixi on her deathbed,[6] Puyi became emperor at the age of 2 years and 10 months in December 1908 after the Guangxu Emperor died on 14 November."

So in the Chinese restaurant, the camera was focusing at THAT PAINTING before moving to TAEK. @moonkeeper and I will say TK is the CHOSEN one, the LAST hahaha

Tidbits on food (inspired by @packmule3)

Qn: What about food? Is there a particular food served during a wedding banquet that you can link to the food they had on the table? Like a 21 course meal? ;)

Ans:

Thanks @packmule3 for your suggestion. So I went back to the scene and I could only guess this. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-30%20at%2010.19.

Indeed these dishes are very typical in Asian weddings because they have their own meanings (http://thenoshingbride.com/wedding-post-3-east-asian-wedding-food-101-dishes-and-their-meanings/) The only thing I'm very sure about is TK's crab soup. In my country, crab soup was always the first thing served in every single wedding party I attended hahaha.

FINALLY DON'T HESITATE TO VISIT TK-DS'S THREAD FOR MORE ANALYSIS :) You guys can find the lists on the first page. It will be updated soon by us and our dearest @hafunohane :) Enjoy ^^

Spoiler
21 minutes ago, Phuong Tam Nguyen said:

THE FULL ANALYSIS WITH PICTURE IS ON PAGE 529

@packmule3 Thanks so much for your insight packmule. I love how the scenes are connected in a time loop. I like the idea of TK and DS grow up, pick up what they left in 1989 and fight for their love in 1994. 

And YES to this hahaha

Awhile back you shared 2 wedding parodies and I think I have seen the 3rd one :D 

I tried to search for the identity of the Chinese Empress' paintings on the walls (there are 2 of them) but I couldn't identify exactly who the 2 women in the paintings were. BUT I did some research on the clothes and the postures.

I guess one of them is Empress Wu Zetian (lying down + holding something, seen on the left wall). This woman is usually depicted with such a posture. The 1st frame is from ep 19.

and the other one is Empress Dowager Cixi (with the eyes looking at one side). In all the Ancient Chinese portraits I've found, she was the only one having those eyes. The 1st frame is from ep 19.

And she was wearing a red robe. As I know, Empress wore yellow robe more often than red one when they were in court. Red robes, on the other hand, would be worn on special events such as festivals, ceremonies or WEDDINGS.

Moving on to the scenes.

Possible wedding parody (Ep 19)

Stage 1: The bride was worried before the ceremony. She was not ready to watch the groom.

Stage 2: Walking in.

Stage 3: Greetings the guests.

Stage 4: Wine serving. (the Empress was approving and watching this hahaha)

Reveal hidden contents

Here another wedding ceremony takes place hahaha

5_2.jpg

These look similar to the actual procedures of the traditional wedding ceremony

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-30%20at%2011.22.ceremony.jpg

Stage 5: The bride was waiting for the groom to go back.

Stage 6: The first night...

Of course these are only my personal opinions and parodies are just for fun :D Enjoy~~~ *Jung Bong's voice*

BONUS!!! Thanks to my brilliant roommate @moonkeeper

Remember their first date in ep 8? The movie was "The last emperor"

This kid is actually Puyi, and he's related to Empress Cixi (the woman on the painting from my guess above). From Wiki:

"Chosen by Empress Dowager Cixi on her deathbed,[6] Puyi became emperor at the age of 2 years and 10 months in December 1908 after the Guangxu Emperor died on 14 November."

So in the Chinese restaurant, the camera was focusing at THAT PAINTING before moving to TAEK. @moonkeeper and I will say TK is the CHOSEN one, the LAST hahaha

Tidbits on food (inspired by @packmule3)

Qn: What about food? Is there a particular food served during a wedding banquet that you can link to the food they had on the table? Like a 21 course meal? ;)

Ans:

Thanks @packmule3 for your suggestion. So I went back to the scene and I could only guess this. 

Indeed these dishes are very typical in Asian weddings because they have their own meanings (http://thenoshingbride.com/wedding-post-3-east-asian-wedding-food-101-dishes-and-their-meanings/) The only thing I'm very sure about is TK's crab soup. In my country, crab soup was always the first thing served in every single wedding party I attended hahaha.

FINALLY DON'T HESITATE TO VISIT TK-DS'S THREAD FOR MORE ANALYSIS :) You guys can find the lists on the first page. It will be updated soon by us and our dearest @hafunohane :) Enjoy ^^

My dear Tam, it's amazing!! So we don't only have two but THREE wedding parodies? We have Western style, Korean style, and now Chinese style? 

And all these times we were complaining that the main OTP did not get wedding scenes? They had it all! Lol

I feel that the depiction of Chinese "wedding" parody actually very fitting, because of BADUK. Baduk is an ancient game said to be found in China. Taek, the baduk god, got his own Chinese wedding, with blessings bestowed by none other than two most powerful women in ancient China history, Empress Wu and Empress Cixi. Indeed, Taek is THE CHOSEN ONE and THE LAST ONE (for DS, that is ehehe) <3 The way the writer seamed the thread from one episode to another is soooo amazing. She did it meticulously, and the only way we can fully grasp her creativity is by rewatching the show and gathering our findings!! It feels like she is the Empress in that scene, supervising her chosen couple from above. She has a lovely sense of humour i must say!

Also I agree with the food being served is typical Chinese wedding cuisine, especially crab soup. Tammy, you and your CSI skills... I have no words! Thanks to you and @moonkeeper <3

I can't wait for the next rewatch ladiess!!! 

Also, I have question. This manga is shown upclose twice. I wonder if anyone could tell me the title and/or the story? I wonder if there is any significance?

Screenshot%202015-12-31%2018.53.18.png

So today I read someone's post that he/she wants a theory about Dong Ryong. Is it you? @fnkrmhaha I might help you but what I'm going to post is not about his theory but more into his personality and what he has done in this drama.

So let's start. It's gonna be a long post and I'm sorry I still don't know how to use 'reveal hidden content' in a post lol and I have to admit that I'm not a good writer or analyst like some nunas in our ship.

DONG RYONG IS THIS KIND OF GUY :

1. DR is a GOOD 'Michin Sekki.'

What I mean here DR is a good boy who is willing to help anybody but he tends to show it with his own way:Teasing/Joking.

Remember this. He said he doesn't want to carry DS because he said she is bigger than him. It implies DS is heavy, and mostly girls hate when boys say something about their weights. That ruined DS' mood even more that day.CaJIg_YUkAAqG24.jpg

But in the end, HE DID it anyway. It must be tiring lol

answer17-00172.jpg

And also this one :

answer06-00106.jpgCaAtNqvVIAAA0u1.jpg

“You’re only like this in front of us, right? You’re not going to do this stuff around other people, right? People really respect you, you know. They call you a god.”©dramabeans. In EP 6, he does help TK with his walkman, put the battery, rising the volume but again he helps with his own way. It implies TK is a fool and can't rely on his own self. But here, to me he is more into concerned rather than teasing him. Concerned in disguise.

answer06-00136.jpganswer06-00147.jpg

“I don’t understand how other people lose to you.” he was saying that while fixing his buttons. It was not wise words to say (because hell, a big competition with 5 matches is ahead) but his action clearly saying differently.

I will include this one too :CZ-hc9YUYAAtzzG.jpg

What a beautiful day in EP 2. DS is being flirty to the Baduk's player, patting his buns, asking him to grow fast and marry her. But then..CaAt8HJUMAA2WOw.jpg

It looks painful and brutal lol. It really does. But the point is not how DR grabs her hair. It is how he reminds her to hurry, because lol there is only 1 minute left before the school's started. He could have dashed and hurry himself but no, his equal-brained-friend would be late too.

And I'm wondering, what would happen if he didn't grab her hair... She may have a little longer conversation with TK, after patting his buns, she could have pat his head too, or even cleaning his spilling MILK.CaAvdTDVIAAZ_sa.jpg

2. ALWAYS LISTENING, ALWAYS UNDERSTANDING.

DR is a like a place where the others need his advice, he may be not as smart as JH or SW but somehow he can be really mature and wise when his friends need him.

EP 5 with JH

CZ-gtaeUkAAFpWW.jpg

EP 14 with DSCZ-mCxIUMAALe5g.jpg

EP 4 with TK. The gang put him in anger, saying that he shouldn't lose in his match. But only DR's words that make him laugh. “Yes. You’re not allowed to lose, or be jinxed, or fall into a slump, or poop. Okay, you can poop, but it can’t smell.”answer04-00667.jpganswer04-00662.jpg

EP 20 with SW. He was the last person who came to TK's room but he was the first person who made SW smile in relief.

CZ-oZCfUEAALsdT.jpg

And he almost never puts any joke when he gives his advice to others. This is him in mature and understanding stance. Probably there are some other moments but I can't point it out one by one.

(I know how to use spoiler finally lol)

DON'T FORGET THIS, I'LL PUT IT UNDER SPOILER :

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeVtBMzJa2KJ3LalalMwm

Spoiler

DR is really nice to others. He listens and understand them well when they are in a complicated situation. The question is...

Do the rest understand him well?

I'm not really sure. He is the funniest and the brightest person among the rest, so they may think DR won't feel any pain or when he is in a difficult situation, he can back quickly to his own personality. But I think here, DR is the loneliest kid among the rest. He makes them laugh, he makes them happy but he himself probably is not that happy. Well who knows?

Remember when he ran away from house and then he called JH because he didn't have money to buy food? This is really sad for me. Why didn't he tell the others that he was in a difficult situation? That he was upset his mom couldn't fill her promise, and only gave him some money in his birthday, and there were no parents to celebrate with.

Their friends always come to him for help, why didn't he do the same? He wouldn't have ran away if there were friends to share the burden with. He felt lonely himself, his parents couldn't be there with him even in his birthday. 

After they back from the beach, JH and SW couldn't say happy birthday properly to him. Have they planned for DR's birthday that day? And they directly asked why he ran away from house, it might be not the right time to ask that question, they could have asked him later when he felt better mentally. They didnt understand him that time, but they listened to him carefully. By that, they may know that this silly person needs them so much.

3. THE MVP

DR is one of the MVP in this drama. His presence is important and has a big impact to others.

These scenes MIGHT not happen without DR's touch.

CZ-7pdYUkAAMFA6.jpgCZ-8mFRUYAAdwZ0.jpgCZ-9VHLUkAAPWf5.jpg

DR is the only one who got his own name. Actually the possibility to have their own names is small, so if DR got DS or BR, TK and SW wouldn't have given their gifts to the girls. SW might have given it to BR even if he weren't her manitto but BR only accepted his gift because he was her secret santa. And it is also prevails for NE and JB lol. As for TK, he may not give the mittens to DS if he got DR's paper, and JH would be the only one who had given the gloves to DS.

----

answer10-00838.jpganswer10-00914.jpg

Thank you DR :D

answer10-00550.jpganswer10-00672.jpg

-----

CZ_GbUGUEAE01_O.jpgCZ_Hg4PUUAAIQlV.jpg

JH might forget about the ring's existence until DR mentioned it and ask him to propose at least once in his life :) CZ_INenVIAAMyEN.jpg

---

answer15-01149.jpganswer15-01192.jpgCZ_MTDMUYAExiiS.jpgCZ_M5PzUcAAa0zL.jpg

Basically, he must sacrifice himself first before he got these scenes :'D Thanks to him too, we got a chance to see Mrs. Jo's considerate side :D

-----

answer19-01294.jpg

The family may end up celebrating it in a random restaurant, but DR just called in the right time! :D and JH's brilliant idea healed his mom menopouse mood, and that is why this beautiful photo was created :)

CZ_RkuQVAAEi0aG.jpg

DR IS AN IMPORTANT PART IN THIS DRAMA. HE MAY HAVE NO LOVE LINE IN THIS STORY NOR HAS ENOUGH SCREEN TIME TO SHOW THE BOND WITH HIS FAMILY, BUT HE IS THERE TO HELP EVERYONE THROUGHOUT THE DRAMA. HE IS THIS KIND OF GUY. HIS CHARACTER WILL BE ONE OF THE BEST IN REPLY SERIES.

sorry for the long post.

Guest aoikarin
1 hour ago, shooastrid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

My dear Tam, it's amazing!! So we don't only have two but THREE wedding parodies? We have Western style, Korean style, and now Chinese style? 

And all these times we were complaining that the main OTP did not get wedding scenes? They had it all! Lol

I feel that the depiction of Chinese "wedding" parody actually very fitting, because of BADUK. Baduk is an ancient game said to be found in China. Taek, the baduk god, got his own Chinese wedding, with blessings bestowed by none other than two most powerful women in ancient China history, Empress Wu and Empress Cixi. Indeed, Taek is THE CHOSEN ONE and THE LAST ONE (for DS, that is ehehe) <3 The way the writer seamed the thread from one episode to another is soooo amazing. She did it meticulously, and the only way we can fully grasp her creativity is by rewatching the show and gathering our findings!! It feels like she is the Empress in that scene, supervising her chosen couple from above. She has a lovely sense of humour i must say!

Also I agree with the food being served is typical Chinese wedding cuisine, especially crab soup. Tammy, you and your CSI skills... I have no words! Thanks to you and @moonkeeper <3

Also, I have question. This manga is shown upclose twice. I wonder if anyone could tell me the title and/or the story? I wonder if there is any significance?

Screenshot%202015-12-31%2018.53.18.png

I haven't get any idea about the manga.. but it's definitely girls manga. What I got from the picture above is that at last DS can eat chicken drumstick, the part she loves.. hahaha.. Last episode she threw tantrum on her semi basement house because of the chicken drumsticks were given to Bo Ra and Neoul.

The manga part, I think it's a proof that Taek knows what DS wants. He's the one borrow the manga for DS right? so Taek knows DS as well just like his palm. hahaha These two are so cute! claiming over each other!

Hey everyone! Here is a translation of a Hyeri interview:

http://hei.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?aid=201601272070H

"Hyeri's Choice: If there were only the 4 Ssang-Mun-Dong boys on earth to choose from"

It wasn't a day like every day. The day that "Eung-Pal" (R88) aired was like a party day with lots of tasty delicacies. The Ssang-Mun-Dong Four: Jung-Hwan, Taek, Sun-Woo and Dong-Ryong received the reply of ladies who enjoyed them from their living room theaters. Four types of boys who comprised a fantasy that you could not refuse.

The object of the most envy: Hyeri's work environment. For 3 months, Duk-Sun experienced these four men in detail, so we asked her. If she had to pick among these four boys, who would she pick? Of course, in the series, she picks Taek.

"I rested well," she said, and smiled brightly. Her skin was more tanned and her teeth were large and white, and you couldn't help but smile along with her. The viewers must have felt the same way, it is a healthy smile that makes you feel happy. We finally meet the heroine of R88.

After shooting wrapped, the cast and crew all went to Phuket. As soon as she returned, she began her killer schedule. Rather than Hyeri the actress, she is still receiving love as her character, Duk-Sun. We can hear from her about the still hot topic: Uh-Nam-Ryu and Uh-Nam-Taek.

R88 received lots of love from both men and women, old and young. But the "husband hunt" was the biggest factor in its historic ratings.

Having loved Sun-Woo in the beginning, Jung-Hwan in the middle, and Taek at the end, her heart fluttered for more men than any other Reply heroine. Her character was even criticized for being inconsistent. But the tenacious and ardent love between Duk-Sun and Taek managed to convince 1/2 the viewers. The show did not manage to convince the other 1/2, who are, of course, those in the "Uh-Nam-Ryu" group, who have been very steadfast.

She is frequently asked about the husband hunt. But obviously she can't say that she is "Uh-Nam-Ryu" side. But she also can't disregard the feelings of the viewers, either. So she has to speak carefully, and we must understand if her words sound vague. We must understand both Hyeri and Duk-Sun's perspectives. She did make sure to add that the entire story has already been lucidly told by the writer's vision.

"There was no end result that would make everyone happy. No matter what the result was, there were bound to be someone who was unhappy."

She emphasized Duk-Sun's innocence. DS was young and innocent and confused, and in that state of mind, when someone told her, "He likes you," she believed it and began to like him back.

She said, "You cannot say that is not love. It was puppy love, like an unripe apple."

When DR asked her, "Who do you like?" that was when she had a realization. If you think about it, she always had a special awareness towards Taek. "Is he dressed warmly enough? Has he eaten? Did he take medicine before he slept?"

"Duk-Sun herself was not aware of her special awareness of Taek. I believe it was the same for the audience, too. It is regretful that we were not able to convince all the viewers."

When asked which boy she would pick to love, if she only had the 4 boys to choose from - her answer: "That might seem like a good selection to the rest of the world, but it's actually pretty difficult for Duk-Sun. One boy does nothing (JH), one boy only knows baduk (Taek), one boy just makes everyone laugh (DR). The last boy is the worst because he likes Bora (SW)." So she wishes she can only mix the good parts, and if such a guy existed, she would really marry him.

As a result of the show, all the stars experienced increased popularity, and many were envious of Hyeri's work environment, because she was always surrounded by these boys.

"Aside from Park Bogum, they were all older than me, so they treated me well, like a little sister."

She was worried because the other actors knew each other from before, so she worried she might not get along with them. But everyone got along really well. The staff would ask them to stop playing and start shooting.

She was worried that this was her first lead role. She would ask if her performance would turn out well. But all the Oppas would encourage her and say, "Our Duk-Sun is doing well. She's the best!" She feels that she learned a lot and made sure to give thanks.

She told us what she was happiest to hear while shooting this drama.

"I think viewers know when the cast members are really good friends. So when I heard that the viewers say that R88 family got along well, it made me the most happy and proud."

It looks like Hyeri has gained a valuable career and a strong supporting team (with her experience in R88.)

7 hours ago, misshoggy said:

Hi Chingu! Let spazz about the awesomeness of the Madam Cheetah! She just had an interview and here's the translation. 
http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002526043

Lol, hope I channel our Cheetah-yeosa alright through my translation. 

Spoiler

RMR was very proud of playing her R88 character Cheetah-yeosa. Not only has her R88 reached the height of popularity with 20% viewership, her movie Himalaya also hit the record of 7.69 million tickets sold. Since her debut 12 years ago, 2015 was the height of the veteran actress’ acting life.

Reporter: As R88 has ended, it was well loved by the public.
RMR: When we first started the shoot, the team including the director and the actors wanted to do well this time around. I did watch ep 0, and I wanted to think that we’re dead this time around or that the reaction was just so-so. But when the ep was released, there were many good responses received. I was wondering if a slice of life drama would make it.  I had fun shooting the drama.

R: Do you think your popularity has soared?
RMR: I always go to places around my home. Like when I went to the supermarket or the market without washing my face, there was always someone calling out to me: JB’s mum, Cheetah-yeosa. A lot of the elderly recognised me too. I didn’t know where to put my face when that happened. I didn’t know I would get that embarrassed till recently. Now that my movie and the drama are showing around the same time, it feels like hails were falling all at the same time. It was puzzling but I think I’m enjoying it at the same time, because I don’t know when the same thing would happen again.

R: I heard Ssangmun-dong TaeTiSeo (LIH, RMR, KSY) has generated many interest.
RMR: We were told that we managed to secure about 120 tour performances, but we haven’t heard anything yet. After the last shooting, I thought of Il Hwa-eonni, who is terribly lonely. But this time, there will be the three of us, so it should be more interesting than before. Since the three of us met, we haven’t been able to separate from each other, till a point, we just can’t stop chatting when we happened to be in the same car. The chemistry between the three of us is more important than anything else. Whenever we get together, we are always sharing through our chats.

R: Who do you have the best partnership with? Liked the chemistry with LIH and KSY
RMR: Sunyoung always have a soft heart, like soft tofu. She really has great reactions to everything. Whenever I had a crying scene, she would be sobbing on the side, leading her not able to do her line if she was next up. There were many of such incidents. Il Hwa-eonni, though she’s the eonni, she’s really beautiful. Though she’s older than me, she looks younger than me. In the drama, my character was the oldest. On TV, it did look like I’m the oldest among the three. I think I need to fix these wrinkles. (laugh)

R:In the drama, who is the most family-like to you?
RMR: The family is always eating, that’s what I remember the most from the first shooting. Kim Sung Gyun’s gag of popular phrases always left unreceived and unappreciated. I was always angry, JH was always chic and JB was always missing somewhere. But at some stage, KSG (real life) started to enjoy himself. Even though it’s not that funny, he kept going at it and that was really annoying. There was once in the drama, Miran (the character) almost felt his gag, but she didn’t yield and let him carried on by himself.

R:Cheetah-yeosa, whose idea was it?
RMR: It was already there to begin with.  The script has already indicated that she’ll be wearing cheetah patterns and the costume department was struggling with it. There isn’t a lot of leopard patterns these days, but heard that there were plenty in the traditional market. I remember having to wear those thin leopard patterns even on cold days.

R:Till now, you’ve played 14 ajumma roles.
RMR: Firstly, I act faithfully according to the script and it was no different to R88.  And I think I did almost everything that was written on the script. The only ad-lib I did was when I beat up Kim Sung Gyun-sshi. And I beat him well (laugh). I didn’t prepare anything special or different when I play my ajumma role. I’m already walking down the path of being an ajumma. I’ve tried hard to play a surprisingly different sort of ajumma role, contrary to just the normal chattering ajumma. I try to make each of my ajumma role with a bit of difference everytime.

R: In R88, you’ve shown different charms in every episode. What was her financial concerns?
RMR: In every episode, Miran (the character) struggled and was burned out. Shin PD even said that: “There was no other place she could go”. She had financial struggles in Gohan. And so she knew better and worked part time jobs. But that was what R88 stood out for. The details. As I was acting, I’ve seen the other side of myself that I was never confident about. Sometimes, the scene was fun, sometimes it was sad, and there was even laughing out loud funny ones. There was a sort of freshness in the script.

R: Was there any memorable episode from the National Singing Competition scene?
RMR:I certainly remember shooting an episode where the presence of Cheetah-yeosa’s force was undeniable. But before shooting, I didn’t think that scene was that funny. In the drama, Miran (character) had an intense desire to compete in the National Singing Competition. To compete after 5 years, she would’ve been very nervous. Hence, it’s probably why she even sang the accompaniment (to the song that she was supposed to perform). I didn’t think the scene was that funny but the viewers thought it was.

R: Kim Sunyong-sshi said that the real Ra Miran is quite close to the R88’s Ra Miran. How true is that?
RMR: To be honest, the portrayal of the character resembles me a lot in real life. It felt like a lot of the crew in the production team said so too. I usually don’t laugh. Even if something is really funny, I deliberately not smile or laugh at all. Though, unlike Miran, I couldn’t give as much as I would like to.

R: So your on-screen son JH couldn’t become DS’s husband.
RMR: In the last episode, he was seen to leave for Sacheon often. When I saw that sight, I do tear up some. It was really such a pity, as he kept his unrequited love hidden and it just ended. I wonder what would happen if the joking confession was actually real. Honestly, Taek only knew baduk and took medicine every day. He wouldn’t have made a good husband. Marrying someone like JH would have led to an interesting life. Well, he’s my painful finger (Korean idiom for the worrisome child), so I was a bit upset.

R: In R88, if there was a son and a daughter that you would like to have, who would to that be?
RMR: I like DS’s character. I want her as my daughter. She’s kind, friendly and bright. I only have a son, so I envy those who have daughters. For son, I like JB. He’s a child who made an effort to make his hand-croissant. He’s also the one who won the lottery, and I was thinking how much money he would earn for all of his collections (in the drama). Good son like Sunwoo would seem quite boring. And it would seem very hard and difficult to look after a son like Taek.

R:There are only 9-year age different between you and your on-screen son, JH.
RMR: During our first family meeting, the director told us that they’re not handsome, so don’t expect too much. If they’re not handsome and young, I won’t do it, I jokingly said. It was very funny. When I first saw them, they took after me. They’re not handsome because they take after me. But those kinds of actors are more charming in their own way, the more you look at them. When you fall for a not-so handsome man, you’ve got nothing to say. It’ll be hard for you to move on from them.

R:I heard that you gave some advice to RJY to comfort him.
RMR: In the confession scene, there was once the cast were wondering whether there would be a reversal for JH, so we were hopeful. But JH looked like he’s about to fold though, and he told me (while being upset) that that scene would be the end of his journey. At the time, I gave him the advice that R88 was about the end really soon, so you should come out of your character bubble soon. In reality, I did feel upset and my heart did hurt. Hyeri felt the same way, as the confession scene was filmed, she couldn’t stop crying. I gave such advice because I’ve seen a lot of my juniors immersed into their character for a long time and not know how to get out of it. I’ve also advised them that it would be better not to pick roles that are too obscure in the future, and also diversify your project roles.

R: How did the Kim family story end?
RMR:All I know is we moved to Pangyo. Kim Sung Gyun has very good foresight. He see more ahead than Dongil. We might be living quite grandly. It was a pity that there was no resolution about JH. JB and MO would have had lived well, but I am really curious about how JH would have lived in the future. If we lived in Pangyo with DS’ family, if Miran (the character) knew about JH’s feeling, she would have gone to DS to ask why did she refuse her son.

cr: Ilgan Sports News.

Thank you so much for the full translation ^^

R88 actors popularity are no joke. Everyone recognizes them in public places right now. I want to see Ssangmun-dong TaeTiSeo again :D

She is just like me, fan of family story, but not so much with the love line in the ending. Not a healthy ending for me :D:D:D . I respect Deoksun's choice though, but the confuse version of her would never become someone I would look up to. I like Bora better with her wise. 

I wonder if Ra Miran will become a couple again in Reply next installment. Their chemistry will be daebak. Ra Miran and Sung Dong Il combination will be a bit weird but so funny at the same time LOL :D:D:D 

Ramiran: When you fall for a not-so handsome man, you’ve got nothing to say. It’ll be hard for you to move on from them.

Agree 1000%

RMR: In the confession scene, there was once the cast were wondering whether there would be a reversal for JH, so we were hopeful. But JH looked like he’s about to fold though, and he told me (while being upset) that that scene would be the end of his journey. At the time, I gave him the advice that R88 was about the end really soon, so you should come out of your character bubble soon. In reality, I did feel upset and my heart did hurt. Hyeri felt the same way, as the confession scene was filmed, she couldn’t stop crying. I gave such advice because I’ve seen a lot of my juniors immersed into their character for a long time and not know how to get out of it. I’ve also advised them that it would be better not to pick roles that are too obscure in the future, and also diversify your project roles.

So proud of Cheetah Omma. Veteran actors are the best, they give best advices to young actors, Hyeri and Ryu Jun Yeol are lucky to meet them.

I am really curious about how JH would have lived in the future. If we lived in Pangyo with DS’ family, if Miran (the character) knew about JH’s feeling, she would have gone to DS to ask why did she refuse her son.

It's good that the drama didn't show Sung and Kim family being neighbours again in 2016 scene, it would be just so cruel for Junghwan even if he already has his own wife at the time. If they did, I would bring my minions to throw a lot of BANANAS

I guess none posted this?

Actor Park Bo Gum was already popular before 'Reply 1988', but during and after this hit drama series, his popularity is through the roof. You won't believe the number of interview requests he'd received since 'Reply 1988' ended.

Park Bo Gum's side stated on January 28 to OSEN, "The number of interview requests Park Bo Gum has received, not including broadcasting stations, is 81 requests from newspapers and 20 requests from magazines. It's become a situation where he actually can't schedule in individual interviews."

OSEN also points out that Park Bo Gum received even more interview requests (101 requests) than Kim Soo Hyun after 'You Who Came From the Stars' (80 requests).

cr: allkpop

Wow. He havent said a word about reply1988 yet, but article related to him keep coming everyday in korean site.

But Taek hates interview :rolleyes:

Opening credit  Episode 1:

When narrator says..it was the time we wore sneakers.. and there is some model wearing jeans and sneakers, flashes a smile is shown with boy cut hai..slifhtly before 0.58 sec..

It is a very very very famous face..and very pretty..but i can't place it..

Does anyone else recognize?

6 hours ago, shooastrid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

OMG ASTRID I FOUND THIS!!!

IT'S ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR MANHWA RELEASED IN 1985, THE AUTHOR IS KIM YOUNG SOOK

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=yang3995&logNo=220541697991

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-31%20at%207.49.4

I think many Korean fans have identified that. The title is "Acclaim" or "Applause" (Google translate LOL) but I find some articles on the contents of the series here. Unfortunately I couldnt find any English version and Google translate didnt make sense sometimes. So we need @kilaalaa, @chickfactor, @allegramente, @syaiira, @rynn_peace to help with the translation :) Thanks so much guys

http://blog.naver.com/yang3995/220541697991

http://blog.daum.net/2001doll/9293241

http://blog.naver.com/yang3995/220541697991

http://www.bomtoon.com/comic/ep_list/applause

http://rayseen.tistory.com/95

:heart::heart::heart: for everybody ^^

Hi again. As expected we were able to gather more clues, findings, analyses and theories which are all valuable to add our understanding on the drama after the rewatch. Today has been very productive, indeed! Thanks for everyone who has been participated, both here and in Shipper Thread. It was great. We are planning to have another session next Saturday, covering Episode 3. Please let me know if you have any ideas or insights to make the session more interesting for all of us.

I am especially drawn to Episode 2, because of all the nostalgia that hits me hard. As the eldest of two siblings, Bora-DS's dynamic is too familiar for me. My sister often borrowed my clothes and make up without my permission, resulting in physical fight in which she always win against. Also Kim Sajang's antique, and the ahjummas' relationships. The story about grandmother also touched me deeply, because I was reminded of my own grandmother who has just passed away last year. I couldn't see her funeral, and I miss her everyday too, knowing that when I am back home she will be nowhere to be found. Sad, but that is life. The story of Sssangmundong families are familiar to all of us in one way or another, because it tells us stories about LIFE.

Connecting the dots, I remember a while back, a poster whom I forgot the name mentioned that DS's family doesn't really cherish the Baduk Vase Trophy that Taek gave Deok Sun as souvenir from Fujitsu Tournament. They use it as flower vase in the end. I took this screenshot straight from Google Image, credit to the creator.

XHbmiKQ.jpg

I would like to argue this notion that DS's family doesn't cherish the valuable present properly. In order to be able to make a proper judgement, we need to understand where DS's family come from. They are never depicted as that sophisticated family who value materials over substance. When they were given the vase, as much as dumbfounded with the present, the simple minded DS just wanted to use it with most obvious purpose = as Kimchi pot. Luckily, No Eul showed DS and their mom the real worth of the trophy. Looking at how ordinary they treat the Baduk God in day to day interaction, it would be out of place if they suddenly give the trophy some special treatment. Besides, their house is a modest one. What kind of special place you can give a clay pottery? Create an altar and put it in the middle? I would like to add as well, that them showing the vase being use in such manner is actually mirroring one aspect in Baduk.

People often compare baduk board as universe, and the stones placed on the surface has its own life. Indeed it's true in a sense, since Baduk concept revolves around Creating Life. One stone placed on an intersection has four liberties.

220px-Golibs.png  

Black stone in A section has four liberties, and if all liberties are surrounded then black stone is captured. See Section D, it's an atari, where black stone is one liberty away of being captured. An enclosed liberty(ies) is called an EYE (眼). However, in order to be alive, a cluster of stones need to have TWO EYES. Take a look at the image below. The white stones are alive, because it has two eyes.

m22.gif

With this reasoning, I would like to argue that DS's family's choice to plant those flowers (even if it's plastic flower, which I doubt) is actually the best possible usage of the trophy vase. Why? Do you think the vase remind you of something? Nihon Ki-In is one of the oldest and most prestigious Baduk association in the world. Their philosophy has influenced many old and more modern tournament. Japan has a very good tradition/ history in Baduk, it's not a coincidence that Fujitsu tournament chose simple clay vase as their prestigious trophy. And yes, you are right, the vase resembles Baduk stones bowl. While baduk stones represent life, both vase and baduk bowl represent a medium and vessel for Lives

9f043a9d10bbc4bc72f11fd0d3bb76d2.jpg

And guess what, in the second half of episode 2, we get a confirmation that the writer understand this. She breathed the spirit of baduk philosophy into her story that all mirrored to each other like a full circle. Please take a look at this screenshot:

Screenshot%202016-01-30%2013.57.28.png

Grandmother insisted to take the vase home, even though it's already old. She took it home. (I'm teary eyed writing this, because my grandma was the same. She loved to reuse things. Her house is full with random stuff like that). And after the funeral, when the eldest son arrived and paid her respect in front of the altar, the vase was shown again.

Screenshot%202016-01-30%2014.46.51.png

It's now a home for a plant. Indeed, old people are like that, they were young once, all shiny and bright, just like new vase. But overtime they became old and weak. Their existence, however were compared with a vase, a medium, a vessel for lives. It's heart breaking, but that's the nature of life. The older ones are gone to give way to the young ones.

That's why, I have no doubt that the use of baduk trophy by DS's family is not randomly placed. Their approach to life has always been simple and down to earth, but substantial at the same time. The writer then used this in a full circle plot, ending in the grown up version of Ssangmundong kids who have left their nest to build their own family and life.

As a side note, could someone please help me reading what's written on the vase? There's some writing in Korean alphabet there. I am curious :) 

Thanks for reading guys. @phikyl, I will write more about the significance of EYES concept in Baduk and in the story later :)

Hello everyone!

The Soompi Forum Staff has received some disturbing reports related to "Answer Me 1988" concerning a matter with members being genuinely threatened.

Ultimately, some offenders are temporarily suspended from our community for a given time. Hence, we do not want to create that kind of unhealthy environment in Soompi.

Cyber-bullying is punishable by law in certain countries and our team would really hate to see fellow Soompiers facing legal repercussions if this continues.

I'm asking everybody to make peace, despite the sheer difference of opinions that have been plaguing the Answer Me series for so long.

Please feel free to continue using this thread for the sake of this wonderful drama and sharing your insightful thoughts with respect.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Hanyeoun said:

Hello everyone!

The Soompi Forum Staff has received some disturbing reports related to "Answer Me 1988" concerning a matter with members being genuinely threatened.

Ultimately, some offenders are temporarily suspended from our community for a given time. Hence, we do not want to create that kind of unhealthy environment in Soompi.

Cyber-bullying is punishable by law in certain countries and our team would really hate to see fellow Soompiers facing legal repercussions if this continues.

I'm asking everybody to make peace, despite the sheer difference of opinions that have been plaguing the Answer Me series for so long.

Please feel free to continue using this thread for the sake of this wonderful drama and sharing your insightful thoughts with respect.

Thank you!

?_?

really!?!

@shooastrid which is the ep discussion thread?

rewatching..guessing this is going to be anothr crying session for me now

ep2: Hubby says i will come back after a smoke..our JH never smoked..

oh my..not just from the love story angle but with every watch there are so many things to observe.. 

6 hours ago, bluesteyes said:

I guess none posted this?

Actor Park Bo Gum was already popular before 'Reply 1988', but during and after this hit drama series, his popularity is through the roof. You won't believe the number of interview requests he'd received since 'Reply 1988' ended.

Park Bo Gum's side stated on January 28 to OSEN, "The number of interview requests Park Bo Gum has received, not including broadcasting stations, is 81 requests from newspapers and 20 requests from magazines. It's become a situation where he actually can't schedule in individual interviews."

OSEN also points out that Park Bo Gum received even more interview requests (101 requests) than Kim Soo Hyun after 'You Who Came From the Stars' (80 requests).

cr: allkpop

Wow. He havent said a word about reply1988 yet, but article related to him keep coming everyday in korean site.

But Taek hates interview :rolleyes:

Thanks @bluesteyes ♥ Park Bogum's on a roll! Can't wait to hear his thoughts on the series, his next plans, and his experience traveling with the gang on Youth Over Flowers. 

Ep 2: 7:58.. 

She is walking out of the door with Sun woo to eat ramyun..

the piano/instrumental piece being played - Does anyone know? I know I have heard this tune in some other show..rom genre..just can't place it..

Epp 1:

Opening credits.. less than 0.58 sec..

A model in jeans, flashes a smile, boy cut hair, comes on tv wearing sneakers..and voiceover says it was the year we wore sneakers..

Who is the model? Again, I have a feeling that its quite a famous face but not able to place it

Also, now i get JH's thing.. i thought his romance started after the trip..but no.. he has been in love forever just like T

didn't notice this before..

Archived