[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

1 hour ago, chuchuapuap00 said:

Seems like a lot are not happy with jh not getting ds in the end. Everyone thought it was jh for sure, even I despite wanting taek to be the husband. I was prepared to accept jh but I somehow hoped the writer would take a different path with this one. And she did. It was refreshing and maybe that's what she wanted as a writer, to try something new and make people remember it. And boy, now they will - whether they like it or not. 

Yep, pretty sure she wanted a new idea, a new storyline of reply that's quite a lot different from the previous. And I liked that she did that. That somehow the character that you least expect would get the girl. She showed how the taek took chances and deserved what he got in the end. And that jh had a lot of chances that he chose to let go, hesitations he prolonged and later regretted. That was the message she might have intended to impart in jh's love line. It's just sad that it has to be jh, i know. But I hoped people would admit this and respect what the writer wanted.

Because in all this kdramas, you have to have an idea that would deviate the loveline you've created from the others, no? I mean if I were her, I'd also want to make that or as a viewer I also want a drama that's out of ordinary nowadays, of a 2nd lead suddenly getting the girl, getting what he deserved. Of a story like this, so I'm happy.

(And yea people could always write a good ol fanfic of how they wanted it to end, ye? kke)

yes that's actually ok. But little more development is kinda missing as others said everything felt rushed in the few last episodes and they shouldn't have invested so much in JH at the beginning suggesting that he could be the final partner/husband or maybe that was ok but not his development throughout the drama till ep 20... As a viewer I feel more fooled/tricked than when I watched Reply 1994. There I was wondering why there were so many episodes with Chilbong when everyone knew the girl liked Trash. But at least we knew she liked trash. And even if hopes were low cause they broke up the girl and trash, we still saw their wedding and how everything went towards the present.

But in 1988 something was kinda missing. This new pace Taek as final partner and husband for DS could have been handled a little better in regards to JH and DS... I dont know, something about this pace seems off. JH getting over DS went so fast and like there are things that aren't clear enough even though the drama is over now. In 1994 Chilbong got a clear rejection. In 1988 DS didn't talk to JH anymore like if his confession was really a joke or that she likes Taek now and if they could stay friends and that she's sorry or anything... Ending JH's one sided love as a confession that ended up as a joke is really unfair and it fees like they took viewers for a joke ...... Everyone watching waited for his confession as well as we waited for Taek's confession.. But how JH's character got handled was just so wrong... He all of the sudden just gave Taek his blessings and in ep 20 we don't see JH and DS interacting as friends anymore.. It's just like that so sudden and yeah not logical...at least they could've given us a final talk between JH and DS but tbh in real life it can be similar to that that people don't talk about the past and one sided feelings anymore and everyone accepts the new couple.. But still. JH's role got wasted and also why was there this interview in present time..we don't know:(.. 1988 was the best imo regarding family plot and friendships but the worst regarding developments of some characters especially DS and JH scenario..also DR. ..well

I wish we could have seen more of 1988,1989,1990 I mean the time before they all finished with high school. To see if DS ever made a final decision about her feelings for JH, deciding that she let him go and realizes that she might like Taek. But suddenly they were in the adult life and there's no closure from DS' point of view about JH.... We can just assume that maybe she knew about his feelings..thats my opinion when JH confessed at the restaurant, her reaction was like she somehow knew already..but just that her heart already belonged to Taek..

i have to admit though that if we all look closely at how Joohyuk speaks which is rather calm and introverted it actually fits as adult Taek version...

but somehow everyone thought it must be JH... The writer and producer successfully tricked all viewers.... The saddest thing are all the things left unsaid.. All the "loopholes" already mentioned

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, lelee said:

Haha, thanks for that post! I don't really get what he means with TK is good at skinshiptho... I thought TK was very awkward at it :sweatingbullets:

And for those who don't get the second quote with the sword, BoGeom's name in chinese characters/hanja means sth like precious sword. ^^

maybe Taek had a lot of skinship or he is showy even though awkward? 

While PBG is not that? But seems to me PBG is really good at skinship too and lil bit flirty based from the BTS?:D

Drama true awesome until the end.

The only thing pissing me off were malicioius comments in MT.

Shipping wasn't all about Reply was. And the most bright diamond in it was - it was jentle, warm and no obvious, no stereotypes or grotesque characters with unnatural behaviour. I wouldn't make differense between Reply and any soap drama if, for example, DS would have been portrayed in unnatural way, histerically aping mimics like as some other actresses do for inattentive people watching - only way they could understand.  So scenario too isn't for exalted teens too, but for families. 

If TK was seen all the way as SML , I guess with every drama we have second lead syndrome, and wonder why PD/writers do not give girl to a second male. Now I see, why, if they do -  it just starts forum holywars and all, with people screwing cast. so now the main part of my post^

WRITER-NNIM, PD-NNIM AND ALL OTHER  CAST!!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR BRILLIANT WORK! SERIES WAS COOL, CHARACTER WERE ALL COMPLEX, WELLPLAYED AND LOVEABLE! ALL CAST WAS IN LEADING ROLES.

kumawoooo!

and yes, yes, so long awayted kiss scene in 19ep is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS HOT!!!!!

52 minutes ago, saturn. said:

I read it at DC Bogum gallery.

Today (Jan.16) there was Park Bo Gum's fan meeting. He told a lot of interesting things, but since it's a drama thread, I post something related to R1988.

Bogum didn't apply audition, he was picked up. He got a phone call from the PD Shin. The day at the behind story video, when he was asked if he drinks, smokes, curse, that was the first meeting. The script wasn't made perfectly, the director Shin let him read various chracters. And the director said Taek suited him the most, but real Bogum is quiet and upright person. The scriptwriter modified Taek's character to more innocent, quiet, upright person. That's how Taek was created. On the second meeting, he was requested to study baduk.

(It's not from today, it's from other interviews: So he applied baduk class at this (2nd half of 2015) semester at his university. Since he's majoring musical acting at university, he is taking ballet class in this semester. He said this is the reason why he should eat a lot.)

He said he would go to Phuket on Monday(Jan.18) with R1988 staffs.

Today, he hugged a fan with his jacket, like Taek did in ep19.

Common things and different things betweek Taek and Bogum: Common thing is to focus on one thing. Different thing is, "Taek is good at skinship, but I'm not. (LOL) And Taek eats a little, but I'm not." And he said he likes cooking and sewing (LOL). The MC said, "I saw yesterday's episode, you pushed the chair very vigorously!" Bogum was very embarrassed, couldn't raise his head.

If he is in situation like Taek & Junghwan, two old friends love one girl, Bogum couldn't answer quickly. One fan from the audience shouted at him, "Live your own life!" then Bogum bursted into laughter.

His manager filmed him at the drama location without his awareness, and 95% of times, he was eating something. He is a real heavy eater. He opened his bag on the stage, there were many snacks. LOL (really different from Taek)

Go Kyung Pyo came as a guest, he said, "Bogum is not good for a boyfriend, he is good for a husband."

At the video greeting from Ryu Junyeol and Lee Dong Hwi, "If Lightsaber is in Star Wars, we have Park Bo Gum(=sword) in R1988"

He doesn't drive, has no plan of buying a car. Everyday he takes school bus to the school, and takes subway on the way home. Because he has to sleep at school bus. When he was asked what is in the wall paper of his phone, it was school class timetable of this semester. (good student!) He said, to him, a dating is 'to fulfill something lack to each other' (It reminds Taek & Deoksun relationship)

He can't be any cuter :):P Btw. I was thinking the same about this scene  :P 

If my comment hurt feeling TK-DS shippers i'm Sorry for ...

But in my opinion am i the only one when i watch kiss scene between TK-DS and then i don't have a feeling with them i Don't feel like they love each other

Of  Yin-Yang kiss scene, Hotel kiss scene or Car kiss scene i Don't have a feeling of us

But when i'm watch the Alley scene, Bus scene, Hajima scene, Zam concert scene or confession scene Why i'm feeling like with it

I don't know reason why i don't have feeling with TK-DS Maybe it bcoz i'm not TK-DS shipper But i accept it TK is Husband

And last i wanna say this to Production team PD-nim, Writer-nim Ko-ma-wo (thank you) to produce the best drama for me the stories of family and friendship make me cry so hard in every episode love the neighborhood of Ssangmundong all character

And thank you everyone in this thread to translate and exchanf the opinion i hope to see you in another thread on soompi i wanna go to Cheeseinthetrap and Descendant of the sun See yaaa Guys 

Wahhh I've never posted anything.. but this drama just wow... made me wants to post a comment hahaha

Anyway... I think the writer did a good job depicting reality. Someone like JH easily went unnoticed in reality. It's just his nature to give and adjust himself to make everybody around him happy, he just couldnt bring himself to be someone who ruined Taek's crush. Like when he kept changing his dream job to fulfill his brother's dream on his behalf... he's just naturally drawn to live for other.

I was hoping someone i.e. DS, would see this nature and take charge by making a move on him because god knows he'll never will. I'm glad there's no twist in ep20 just to push JH-DS pair. It would only add dramatic impact but will lost it's realism.

I wish there's more episodes just for closure on JH's part :bawling:

ah, I forgot

I saw a hint in 1ep, noone mentioned here from the beginning.

little kids (when 5 of the gang sits together in a row on some playing bench)

TK and DS have sorta couple item: star earrings she  had and star  on his jacket, and it is highlited.

so no twist plot, planned from ep1

Final post for R88
Let's start off with latest Knetz response:
-Goodbye R88. Where's JH?
-The screentime for JH is the same as JJ. That's just too much.
-The real lead of the series weren't Taek or DS, It's the adult JH (still not convinced that KJH is Taek). Jun Yeol-ah, for the next drama, go meet a nicer writer.
- Writer, you gave some richard simmons to JH.

Enough said. I can't believe it ended with such a bitter taste in my mouth because I did not buy one bit of the explanation at all. It was a fake try-hard effort. Show, you got rid of your old clues and came up with rushed new ones, I can see what you've done there. Your viewers were very insulted. I held on to the 1% because I thought, like the previous series, it's a meticulous production and the past episodes will back up itself. But no, not only was it sloppy and messy, you've wasted good 17 episodes (34 hours) of our time to come up with such f'ed up conclusion. All the bus scenes, the parallelism, heck, you disrespected Forrest Gump's first love message. You know what, I'm so glad JH didn't get the girl, because he deserved better. Show, you could've been deeper. You could've been a legend. You could've gone down the history book. Instead, you became petty. Heck, even TK shippers didn't even get a satisfying end that they are proud of. You might as well go on and write a short series consists of ep17, 19-20 because that was your point of the story anyways. I'm so sorry for anyone, including me to have defended you so ardently. You could've been the best series ever, because all my concern was you. You. However, you burned and crashed it all by yourself by making it into a makjang. We didn't read it wrong in the beginning. You're just angry that we were right. You proved your point. Now get lost, I don't want to see another Reply series again *Drop mic*

1 hour ago, nikkisjs said:

^^ Yeo Jin Goo, AOA's Mina, Taek's appa, the 4 remaining friends from r88, Cha Tae hyun send videos~

Apparently the next installment will be Reply 1974. Yep, let's go all the way back to the Joseon era. Will watch that AFTER it ends! :|

about the comic books : remember when taek canceled on duksun? after that he fell asleep, and several comic books were seen on his bed near him. it was implied that he fell asleep while reading them. so Taek does read comic books.

• Spoiler
    • Just watch the final episode and I quite expecting the ending. What I like about this series is they focus more on the matter between their families (conflicts etc..) and show how each family lives during their time (simple but happy). They're friendship is really deep that you sometimes feels envy with their friendship. The plot line is great actually but the thing that I don't really like about it is that they leave the viewer focus not on the (family storyline) but on who will be Deok Suns' husband. I admit I ship Junghwan more than Taek so it's really hard for me to give a unbiased comment but I'll try my best. Watch all the reply sequel, 1988 gives me the most horrible second lead syndrome ever. I mean they should've given closure to everyone. They try to mislead the viewers with those hints and everything giving us confusion and then in the end they didn't even bother to explain all of the clues (like it's not essential in the drama) Just like ended right there without any closure between each character. Honestly, I had a feeling that Taek will be the husband when they kiss (felt like a dream but real) and I say to myself (ugh Taek is the ending game and not Junghwan). I feel happy for Taek for getting the girl at the same time I feel 1289378921 time miserable for Junghwan because the writer didn't give justice to his character. Junghwan is a very considerate character (sacrifices even his dream for his brother), that is why everybody like him. He can give you the world if that thing can make you happy (son, brother or a friend). My poor Junghwan! I wish they give him more closure, just like in the previous Reply (1997, his brother found his wife) (1994, Chilling also found someone for him) I mean, it's so irritating that they just push his character aside just because a lot cries for Taek to be the husband (sorry Taek shippers just ranting) because his more attractive and so but my Jungpal (ideal guy). Moving on I happy with the Sun Woo and Bora ending and of course when all of them moved to other place is just so sad. I still like this series but I can say I'm just a little disappointed with how they try to push Junghwan character aside, and still recommend it to everyone (Family stories is so, especially the middle child scenario). Good job reply. Just my thought, No Hate! 

For me as a Junghwan shipper, it's not that we're not happy because he didn't get the girl, it's that they just pushed aside his character like nothing ever happened. And also, we want him a good ending too. A closure for his character. 

Since the beginning, i think JH is the main attention. Check back the bus scene when he protect DS from falling n the bickering. Taek almost look like a bystander. But, Park Bo Gum is the bigger actor, i know they are not going to waste him (being Ds Hubby) but i still hoping JH was the hubby. I know shipping couple will end up either happy or turn down. As i've said before i dont want to analyze but still want to state my opinion. Somehow, when the drama progressing, the production decided to put DS TAEK together. Maybe they said, people change, that's y older version hubby act that kind of way in the early episode but i cannot accept that. I'm going to watch descendent of the sun after this and compare the fully produced drama vs the usual ongoing shooting drama. 

At the end, i'm happy bcoz SW bora lovestory was finally completed. I'll just take them as the main couple to ease my mind. Apologize to those who are shipping this couple or that couple. I'm neither on whoever side. Maybe DS chose Taek bcoz she feel much better with him. I see JH as a bigger person who are ambitious, hardworking, clever who need someone that can match up to him. If DS chose JH, she somehow have to match him, hence always fighting n comparing. In the end, they are not compatible to each other. Maybe;);). Take it easy guys. In life, they are so much choices u have to make. Sometimes, the bad one may turn to the wiser one  (i'm making myself thinking positive). In the end, Only the Song siblings are shown as an older version plus hubby. And i didnt know the point of the interview from the live recap (thank u for the live recap everybody. U guys awesome!! :)) . I guess i have to watch it with sub, right?

Wah, I can't believe that after shipping the correct couple for both prior Answer Me dramas, I managed to pick the wrong couple to ship in Answer me 1988!  My record is ruined and so is my heart.  Jung Hwan!  *tears* 

I held onto hope until the very end; after all, you can't discount the possibility of the Answer Me team bringing you a last minute twist.  But, if I had to be honest with myself, I think we knew at the end of Episode 18 that it was over for Jung Hwan.  As much as he loved DS, it wasn't enough.  In his own words, it wasn't that he'd missed out on timing, it was that he'd sabotaged himself.  I'm glad he got to confess, even if he treated it like a joke, and hope that it afforded him some closure.  He's such a great guy; there's bound to be a perfect woman for him somewhere in the future.  *grabs another handkerchief*

As sad as I am for Jung Hwan, I feel perfectly at peace with the Taek and DS pairing.  They're both awesome men, and asking DS to choose between the two was always a bit like asking her to choose between a diamond and a sapphire.  They're both excellent options.  That's why, even though my own personal ship tanked, my love for the drama is not diminished.  More than anything, Answer Me 1988 was never about the final pairing for me.  This series, more than the others, really focused on the different families and the multiple relationship lines that were formed as a result.  There were the mothers, the fathers, the mothers-fathers, the parents-childrens, the siblings, and the children-children relationships, and they were all beautiful to watch.

Who could forget that moment where Jung Bong told Jung Hwan that he wished for his brother to pick his own path, and not to just try to live out his older brother's dreams for him?  It was equally sweet to know that Jung Hwan had made his choices knowing that his brother would never be able to fulfill them, just as it was sweet to know that his older brother knew exactly what his younger brother was trying to do.

And then there was that moment between Sun Woo and Taek where they talked and came to an understanding about their parents' relationship. 

I could go on with the many examples of LOVE that was displayed throughout the drama, none of which had to do with the reveal of the final pairing.  The fact that there are so many examples is a testament to the fact that Answer Me 1988 was never about just the final pairing. If anything, I feel like DS's story was shortchanged in the process just to keep up the mystery of who her husband would be.  We were never allowed to know exactly how she felt because if we were, their hands would be tipped.  I know the whole "who's the husband?" thing is the Answer Me team's trademark, but personally, I think Answer Me 1988 is proof that even without that hook, they can film a heartwarming and thoroughly entertaining/engaging drama.  It's something they should consider, IMO.

The only part I didn't like for the Reply 1988 ending was making the 18 episodes of Junghwan's first love and coming of age story like it was nothing.

Like Junghwan as part of Ssangmundong gang and the Kim family meant nothing worth giving a closure for.

Literally, they made him go to Sacheon and do nothing.

Kkeut.

Even Jungbong and Man-ok had more scenes than him.

--

It was a funnnnnn and emotional and a loooooong bumpy ride, but I enjoyed every bit of it!

Hope people continue supporting the future projects of every cast member involved!

See you around! O/

even if i'm 110% on #teamtaek since day 1, i feel the injustice towards junghwan

even if'm a taek-ds shipper, i love junghwan and i wanted him to have his own happy ending with someone that's better for him. i'm disappointed in this part. i also wanted to have an official closure between junghwan and dukseon, maybe a conversation showing that junghwan really has moved on.. i would love that. junghwan is too precious. and dong ryong too... what happens to him? he's one of my favorites in this drama :tears: 

anyways.... in regardless of the things above, reply 1988 has made a special place deep inside my heart. i want to thank the writers and pd for making this extremely beautiful, awesome, tear-jerking FAMILY drama. my last love is family. it truly is. :blush: this drama is surely going to be on my top 5 favourite list.

taek truly deserves dukseon, and their relationship is like no other. i love it so much :heart: they don't need flashy, extravagant dates and proposal; just time together is enough for them. their relationship is priceless. 

Just watch the final episode and I quite expecting the ending. What I like about this series is they focus more on the matter between their families (conflicts etc..) and show how each family lives during their time (simple but happy). They're friendship is really deep that you sometimes feels envy with their friendship. The plot line is great actually but the thing that I don't really like about it is that they leave the viewer focus not on the (family storyline) but on who will be Deok Suns' husband. I admit I ship Junghwan more than Taek so it's really hard for me to give a unbiased comment but I'll try my best. Watch all the reply sequel, 1988 gives me the most horrible second lead syndrome ever. I mean they should've given closure to everyone. They try to mislead the viewers with those hints and everything giving us confusion and then in the end they didn't even bother to explain all of the clues (like it's not essential in the drama) Just like ended right there without any closure between each character. Honestly, I had a feeling that Taek will be the husband when they kiss (felt like a dream but real) and I say to myself (ugh Taek is the ending game and not Junghwan). I feel happy for Taek for getting the girl at the same time I feel 1289378921 time miserable for Junghwan because the writer didn't give justice to his character. Junghwan is a very considerate character (sacrifices even his dream for his brother), that is why everybody like him. He can give you the world if that thing can make you happy (son, brother or a friend). My poor Junghwan! I wish they give him more closure, just like in the previous Reply (1997, his brother found his wife) (1994, Chilling also found someone for him) I mean, it's so irritating that they just push his character aside just because a lot cries for Taek to be the husband (sorry Taek shippers just ranting) because his more attractive and so but my Jungpal (ideal guy). Moving on I happy with the Sun Woo and Bora ending and of course when all of them moved to other place is just so sad. I still like this series but I can say I'm just a little disappointed with how they try to push Junghwan character aside, and still recommend it to everyone (Family stories is so, especially the middle child scenario). Good job reply. Just my thought, No Hate! 

28 minutes ago, misshoggy said:

Final post for R88
Let's start off with latest Knetz response:
-Goodbye R88. Where's JH?
-The screentime for JH is the same as JJ. That's just too much.
-The real lead of the series weren't Taek or DS, It's the adult JH (still not convinced that KJH is Taek). Jun Yeol-ah, for the next drama, go meet a nicer writer.
- Writer, you gave some richard simmons to JH.

Enough said. I can't believe it ended with such a bitter taste in my mouth because I did not buy one bit of the explanation at all. It was a fake try-hard effort. Show, you got rid of your old clues and came up with rushed new ones, I can see what you've done there. Your viewers were very insulted. I held on to the 1% because I thought, like the previous series, it's a meticulous production and the past episodes will back up itself. But no, not only was it sloppy and messy, you've wasted good 17 episodes (34 hours) of our time to come up with such f'ed up conclusion. All the bus scenes, the parallelism, heck, you disrespected Forrest Gump's first love message. You know what, I'm so glad JH didn't get the girl, because he deserved better. Show, you could've been deeper. You could've been a legend. You could've gone down the history book. Instead, you became petty. Heck, even TK shippers didn't even get a satisfying end that they are proud of. You might as well go on and write a short series consists of ep17, 19-20 because that was your point of the story anyways. I'm so sorry for anyone, including me to have defended you so ardently. You could've been the best series ever, because all my concern was you. You. However, you burned and crashed it all by yourself by making it into a makjang. We didn't read it wrong in the beginning. You're just angry that we were right. You proved your point. Now get lost, I don't want to see another Reply series again *Drop mic*

13 minutes ago, melissala said:

I guess people are moving on from denial into anger. :sweatingbullets:   At least it's progress.

The only thing I hated about the finale is the show ended. 

Literally, And right now I'm still in the anger phase. I mean, what so hard giving Junghwan's character a closure. :(

I watch all Reply series.

I like R88 too, at first i assumed JH must be the husband then i realized writer-nim needs to change the ordinary reply plot.

So, you can say that I was shipping ( a little bit) TK to be the husband (from ep 12)

1. IMO, they change the story line, maybe JH supposed to be the husband, but they changed it to TK for refreshment. Remembering R94 ( I was a huge fan of R94), they did trash vs CB love quite well balanced, but not in this drama, They dragged me from JH to TK, TK had a very little appearance on the early episodes, so the husband guessing game is not as thrilling as R94 (for me). I really enjoyed the husband game on R94 and 97. Here, I just let the story flow, and i dont really care who will be the husband.

2. The best part of R88 is their family bond. It's really the best reply neighborhood, and i wish i had those best friends (oh no i'm crying), but sadly they dont give us those friendship in 2016. Maybe because they need to use different older actors, so i understand (The age gap from 88 to 2016 is too big, weird if they use the same actors)

3. As @khun_joong said,

" On the other hand, I quite agree that the final episode was really good but quite unsatisfactory. While other episodes were slow paced, somehow this episode was too fast paced lol. I wanted to see how all the gang are doing in present time, but they unfortunately didn't show any. I wanted to see how TK and DS progresses from dating to getting married. But overall, I think R88 was great! It'll always have a special place in my heart.  "

Super Agree!!! I'm disappointed with the ending, Reply drama = husband guessing, so i need to see the progresses at least how they are dating, not a jumping jumping clips. 

4. Sorry, but for me, TK DS 2016 version has no charm as husband and wife. 

5. Bogum acting is perfect as a boyfriend, but i didnt see it on Hyeri. Bogum initiate and more serious at kissing, Hyeri smiles while kissing... ummm  weird? . Plese learn from Bora... xixixixi... BR SW couple is the best couple!!!! But I love the Chair Kiss.. They did a very very good job ;)

6. Arghhh I'm not satisfied with the ending, hiks... JH is broken heart and just gone :( , in R94 even CB met someone, and happy ending.. Poor JH... hiks... Older Reply series Everyone was happy, even now TK is the winner, i'm not that happy ( I was really happy when Kim Jae Joon name tag had shown before) now i feel empty

My second and last post on this thread

Good Morning.. Thank you and I'm sorry :) 

Waiting for the next better reply series.... (Hope they make reply 2000, so i can see Shinhwa on the tv)

Man,

I just want to do a shout out to the hair and make-up professionals (as well as the actors) in the way they have taken the characters through the years in such a believeable physical way. Props to JB especially.

Archived