[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

7 minutes ago, nikkisjs said:
  • What happened to JH/DR/Wang jun/Parents?
  • What's the purpose of the interview?
  • How did DS-Taek go public/married?
  • What does DS do now? Didn't she say she"works from her home-office now"? :/
  • How did SW-Bora marry in 1995 when thelaw changed in 1997?
  • What the hell happened to JH's ring? I guess, it was really meant for DS, so he left it?
  • Do JH-DS don't interact anymore? wtf.
  • They solved the diary thing but forgot about comics lol JH is only one who reads comics. Not hating here, just saying it's realllyyyyy rushed.

Wants answers lol. They pretty much wrote off JH after Ep18 :(

Btw, Bogummie had his first fanmeet today and he was crying SO hard. RJY and LDH sent video messages to him~ :3

Adding in...what happened to the pink shirt misunderstanding? 

lol jh's screentime was less than manok's. They sent him to Sacheon...and that's it. Wow. Bye.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a ride. The wedding was especially emotional :( Sung Dong Il and his acting... his facial expression is just tearing you up even if you don't understand his lines. I love how they elaborate parents' feelings toward the kid's marriage. Even if the parents don't like it, they cannot win against their kid because even if the kids reluctantly follow their wish, the parents are not really winning (Taek's dad's line, kudos to him). I already imagine myself in their shoes, if I have kids and sending them off to adulthood and eventually parenthood like this... so emotional. 

I was expecting new flashback for DS/TK but all we get were old ones except the new kiddie moments. So that is my only complains. DS/TK moments were cute, but when they were dating secretly, I cannot help but be reminded of SunBora...they already did this in 1988-89 and DS/TK feels like a copy of them, admittedly there's not a lot of things to do in the alley when you are dating, just call, come out, cuddle at the legendary stairs, etc. 

I was expecting more JH's moment too. The Kim family is definitely shining on their own, lol. Junghwan is being sassy until the end. I don't think RJY himself would expecting this massive of fans. Congrats RJY, you're the man :) lol I was reading some knet and they said something like this, Junghwan withdraws his first love to Taek, he gives his dream to Jungbong, and sacrifices his youth for the country. 

Man I do get nostalgia at the end when they repeat the very first scene of episode 1. The kids have been hanging around together for all their life *sniff* such beautiful bonds.

Love the series, I would recommend this to other people. It tugs all kind of strings in my heart. 

Farewell, Reply 1988.

Reply '88 has ended, and I hope viewers can accept the ending, and just appreciate the laughs and cries it gave us. Complaining about what it could have been, and what it should have been, won't really do anything<33 the drama has ended like this, and just like this, we too, should move on into our lives and in the future, remember that we all once watched this amazing drama called Reply 1988!(Lol at this stupid inspiration I put in the end, as if a drama has affected people that much. LOL jks, it basically became my life)

9 minutes ago, freshmilk196 said:

Yeah she/hes leaving, she said bye ok? just because your ship didnt sink or u dont have a ship doesnt make this show smart as well. Everyone is free to voice whatever they want, respect freedom of speech because wherher its rude or not is highly subjective, i find your LEAVE! extremely rude too thank you 

actually, as i said later, i was on the DS-JH ship but i didn't mind she ended with TK because they're so cute together..

yes, everyone has their freedom of speech, but i think that person could have voiced their feeling with better words than "this show is so stupid".. 

sure you don't have to like what i said as i don't have to like what that person said, and i also have the right to express myself, beacause i really don't understand people who post negetive things about this drama in this thread... if you don't like it, then what are you doing here? i really don't understand that.. if i don't like a drama i won't be writing on the drama's  forum saying negetive things about it.. i'll just leave..

so i spoke from my own subjective and thinking as that person did..

if that's rude, then fine,, i'm rude.. 

take care!

As expected, RHY last tribute is Sunwoo :)

I was expecting more of horrible old fashion make up style in the 95. But I'm glad they go with a more modern make up. RHY looks flawless (did I mention her skin, her baby skin!!).

Oh wow, in this selfie, they look alike :D:D Such husband and wife :3 

Thank you, recappers I want to sent you guys a thousand kiss.:kiss_wink:

I really want to flip the table now!!!!

Our otp was... that's all? A lot of questions without the answer. Hmm, but you should at least show us the 5 adults in 2015-2016, how do they live, especially is JH and DR, and our cute JJ too. So just leave it to our imagine???

My mini-makjang with  appa Sung throwing an envelope to SW? JJ's reaction with BR as her bro's love? Where? Where? Where?

Edit: feel better now, waiting for the raw, to complete my bias:phew:

I don't think it matters how TK/DS came out.  Nobody would be that bothered by them dating.   They just didn't admit it because all the BR/SW stuff was going on.  DS said they'd tell everyone in the future.  And I think out of respect for JH it's good not to push them to much.  

The pink shirt, ring, gloves... Sorry, but those had no importance anymore.  Not after JH's confession. 

The ending reminded me of those type of books that end with a vague sentence or it cuts halfway, where in the end you're like" huh????what about what about what abouuuuuuuuuuuuuut?!" e.g norwegian wood, tfios,etc etc i think the writer's purpose was for all us to look at their neighborhood as something they've moved on from, though not necessarily knowing what happens next except for the future time lapse. we can only rely on our own imagination now. That's a smart and cruel move right there writer-nim. 

Anyways, this will be my last post on the thread. Again, thank you all for the wonderful posts, see you again in another thread in two years! anyeong 

Question to all those who kept on saying the ending is trash... But mind you, I haven't watched the episode. I just read the live recap. Thus, there are some details that I do not know. But...

In life.... would everyone get a closure? Would we know what happened to all of our childhood friends? Would everyone of us have our happy ending? For me Reply 1988 was never a fairy-tale. It was always seem close to real life.

Alas, I do feel the ending quiet rush and I would love to know what happen to the others... I hope by watching the episode later would give me the answer.

3 minutes ago, melissala said:

I don't think it matters how TK/DS came out.  Nobody would be that bothered by them dating.   They just didn't admit it because all the BR/SW stuff was going on.  DS said they'd tell everyone in the future.  And I think out of respect for JH it's good not to push them to much.  

The pink shirt, ring, gloves... Sorry, but those had no importance anymore.  Not after JH's confession. 

pretty much, i mean, their romance was legit 19 episodes of finding out so i feel it would just have been accepted. The mom loved taek and sunwoon mom loved ds so it was like the perfect match. 

Thanks for live recappers!  I'm happy to witness and be an avid viewer of a one of a kind drama which is definitely included on my top list favorite. Although I've seen so many hateful comments about its ending, I still believe that it's a good ending. I hope we'll go with the over-all story and not only for the things we've wanted or expected. At the end of the day, the creator of the story has always the last say and we cannot do anything about that. Hence, let us not forget to appreciate and remember the good things we can get from this drama. :)

PS: i also wonder why there are lot of questions left unanswered.... But i realized that..... that's life, isn't it?

Wow. With so much disagreements on who DS's husband gonna be, in the end, main couple is actually BR&SW?

they got the most screentime as a couple, half of finale about them getting married. 

Whilst i get it that it's the writers' prerogative, somehow i felt cheated. LOL. 

It’s been a roller coaster, yet wonderful journey watching this beautiful series. Just like most of you guys here, my real world time has stopped for two months, and I did nothing, but count down the days to Friday and Saturday just to get my dosage of Reply 1988. Very few dramas had me wide awake at 4 in the morning just to watch it live (I live on the other side of the world), and Reply 1988 was one of them. Waiting for YT videos to be uploaded or torrent download done would just kill me. I couldn’t handle that kind of wait. I didn’t want to be last person to know what happened, so I`d always be up in wee hours on Friday and Saturday. But it’s really worth it. I`m glad I fell in love with Reply 1988 – one of the best dramas I have seen – beautifully written characters and it’s been a pleasure seeing each of them grow so much from Episode 1. My love for the 5 babies of Ssangmun-dong was just…… immeasurable. The flashback of their childhood friendship in Episode 2 was my “Okay I`m sold!” moment. You`ll envy their friendship – you’d wish you had that kind of friendship for yourself. I did. I still clearly remember that scene in Episode 6 where they still shared that one blanket even though it barely covered them now. Sun Woo extending the blanket to Duk Seon and Dong Ryong kept pulling it back. It’s one of my favourite scenes. That was the first time I wished they didn’t grow up too fast and started making adult decisions.

I loved the 1988 era. They didn’t have the technology we have today, but what they had was a great neighbourhood who share food every night and genuinely care for each other’s. One problem is the entire neighbourhood’s problem. Heck, as for me, I don’t even know who lives next door.

Duk Seon’s story is what pulled me into this drama and made me discover what a gem it is both inside and outside her love story.

Spoiler

When she first liked Sun Woo, I was all over Sun Woo as well and kept picturing how she and him would look just great together. That scene in Episode 3 with her ghostly white face from Bora’s makeup just had me laughing out loud – I was like “Oh man. They’re gonna be cute together.” She was just adorable. Her crush made me remember high school days.

But then towards the end of that episode, Jung Hwan and Duk Seon’s alley scene made me, all of a sudden, forget that I was rooting for Sun Woo. Jung Hwan’s crush was cute – I could totally relate to the crush he was trying to nurture and bottled in at the same time. I keep hoping, episode by episode, that Duk Seon reciprocate his feelings, because how can someone not? By Episode 6, a contender got eliminated and another one came in. I wasn’t that invested in Taek since he was just… there, and my focus had always been on Jung Hwan and Sun Woo. But again, even with Taek in the picture, I longed for more Jung Hwan and Duk Seon’s moments. I wanted to see her do what typically a heroine does for her love interest (regardless if the love is realized or not). I wanted to see connections between her and Jung Hwan. Episodes have passed by, and I get more disappointed that the story was not giving me what I wanted. Watching every scene of Jung Hwan and Duk Seon felt like I was receiving the short end of the stick, but my mood would unconsciously bounce back to good because I see Duk Seon and Taek together and their scenes would always bring a wide smile on my face. It’s like they’re shining so bright every time they are together. It’s hard to turn a blind eye and say “No, I don’t see their chemistry” when all of their scenes together are just attention-grabbing in my eyes.

Duk Seon and Taek’s scenes gave me the scenes I had always longed for Jung Hwan and Duk Seon. I rewatched all the scenes with Duk Seon and Taek / Duk Seon and Jung Hwan over and over again to ease this weird feeling I got that I couldn’t put into words. That maybe, I`m not watching and understanding this right. The more I unconsciously invested my emotional feelings into the walks of her love life, I decided to put the future scenes and hints they throw at me at the back of my mind, and let Duk Seon, herself, tell me the journey in finding her true love.

And this is what I had discovered when I saw things from her perspective: She is building little, but memorable memories with Taek every episode as Jung Hwan’s love for her grows and her search for that someone to love her continues. At the end of every episode, I felt so empty and lacking with Jung Hwan and Duk Seon together, but my heart was always filled with Taek and Duk Seon’s scenes. Just from their everyday conversation every episode, we learn something new about Duk Seon and Taek:

• Taek lessened the pills he took after Duk Seon’s suggestion,
  • Duk Seon, just like any other girls, gets scared too and needs protection as opposed to the boys’ belief that she’s only afraid of Bora,
  • Duk Seon respects Taek’s privacy and knows how to knock rather than just barging in. I think her walking into Taek’s room and caught him smoking changed her perspective of him so much. In a positive way, I meant.
  • Taek didn’t like to be patted on his head like a baby, and so he, in turn, did the gesture to Duk Seon and from then on we never saw her patted him like that again.
  • Duk Seon doesn’t like people to see her at her vulnerable state = crying. Taek respected that and so he let it go when Duk Seon said she was fine when he caught her crying at the steps in Ep 15.
  • Taek enjoys being spoiled around the people he likes and comfortable with.
  • And the list just goes on…………

These scenes do not take up one episode, but speak so much volume. They are creating little memories episode by episode. It always put a smile to my face whenever they do mundane things because their scenes exactly portray how I function with my other half every day. They’re acting like an old couple already without even the sexual tension between them yet. They’ve been going on like this, building memories together for 18 years and it’s just a matter of time till they reach adolescence stage and start being curious of the concept “a man and a woman" together

There’s this specific scene in Episode 11 that I’ve kept in the back of my mind and haven’t been able to let it go until I’ve come full circle.

Spoiler

In this episode, everyone was at Jung Hwan’s house having lunch. Duk Seon came in and kicked her brother out of his seat, so she could sit next to Jung Hwan. This was around the time Duk Seon was harbouring a crush on Jung Hwan. As she sat next to him, Sun Woo’s mother ordered her to bring Taek his lunch to his room. She grimaced, but still delivered the food to Taek. She placed the bowl of soup next to Taek and turned around to leave. I don’t know, but this gut in me say she would turn her head around and concerned herself because she knew Taek would never eat his food as he was so absorbed in his work. And what did she do next? She spent the time next to Taek reading manhwa as he finished his food. But, again, she was supposed to enjoy her time having lunch with Jung Hwan! She opted that opportunity out just to make sure Taek got to eat his lunch. And now I know what this meant: She put Taek first in everything she does – it doesn’t matter if she has another boy who she likes, Taek remains her top priority. And this will become a big problem if they don’t end up together. He will always be someone there between Duk Seon and her man.

The end of Episode 16 put an even wider smile on my face.

Spoiler

There’s just no normal person who would literally guard the phone, for hours, to ring, okay. And you don’t take the phone and radio to your bed to wait for a phone call. There’s no way a normal person would do all that unless you’re in love. Duk Seon’s dejected look as she hung up the phone after Taek bailed on their meetup was just a bonus. I’ve been waiting o see her in this kind of state. Like finally! My girl is in love! This was when I decided to rewatch the previous love lines scenes over and over to see what I had missed that led her to look this way.

I thought her realization that she was in love with her childhood bestfriend was beautiful. Her eyes didn’t lie. When the boys were playing soccer on the field, her eyes would follow Taek even though the ball wasn’t with him. The look on her face said it all. She was soo in love. How heartbroken she must have been when Taek told her not to concern herself with “his” dream and that he was relieved that it was only a “dream”. My heart cracked a little seeing her face betrayed her nonchalant reaction. I wish Taek turned his head quicker to see how much he broke her heart right there. She’s been bottling her “one-sided” love for him for six years, no wonder she tried so hard to date and at least tried to get over it.

The reason why Duk Seon is being dumped all this time is because she was never interested. The guys she dated most likely never felt she was interested in them. That scene of her and her date watching Forest Grump felt like she was watching the movie by herself (You don’t cross your arms across your chest while watching a movie with your boyfriend. Just no. See how in the finale Duk Seon and Taek are holding hands in the movie house. Now I call that normal.). It doesn’t matter how many times she went out with guys, at the end of the day, in her bed, she’s back to square one thinking of her one-sided love (remembering that he, too, goes out with other girls) while still maintaining her friendship with him. Being in love with your bestfriend is hard. But when they had finally laid their true feelings out on the table and acted on them, man, that was just beautiful. That was the only thing missing in their relationship – the 'eros' love.

Jung Hwan talked about missing fate, timing, and being unable to act when opportunity presented itself. In my opinion, Taek had all of them. I always believe that everything happens for a reason. That it doesn’t matter what you do, the nature will always make its way around to what is meant to be. In Episode 2, Duk Seon narrated she didn’t know what made the father and son move to their neighbourhood. And I say it’s because it’s fate – that a few decades later, she and the son will fall in love and marry. They just need time to build little memories everyday, grow together, and later on, realize that they are each other’s halves. What Duk Seon lacks, Taek fills and vice versa. They can simply stay in Taek’s room as he works on Baduk and Duk Seon reads manhwa next to him, and that alone is a perfect picture of comfort and happiness. There will never be dull moments because they've got each other.

I`m glad they had found forever in each other.

When the husband is first introduced at the sofa area, you can see that he is in a comfortable environment (probably at his house) and he is always interacting with DS through words and eye contact. You can see him being comfortable talking to his wife and in his own world. At that point, many thought it is JH, including myself. Why?

- Taek was still a relatively new character and not much interaction between Taek and DS was shown.

- Taek never teased DS so freely before. But then, it leads to the first point above. He's a new character so we don't know how he is really like as a person.

People argued that the future husband became meek and polite in the second occasion at the cafe. But remember how he acted when he noticed the cameras. And also focus on how he acted when DS is not there when she went to get coffee. 

He acts like the good old Taek who is awkward and polite towards people who he is not familiar with. 

This goes to show that it's not because of a sudden personality change but a DIFFERENT environment that he was put into.

Yes I completely agree.

Taek, I will miss your ever bright smile. I`m glad you were able to keep this smile till the very end. It seriously brightens up my mood every time. Never fails.

ezgif-1757950900.gif

Archived