[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

15 minutes ago, rubylia said:

LEAD) Actor Song Joong-ki shares thoughts on 'Descendants of the Sun'

SEOUL, March 16 (Yonhap) -- Not only does actor Song Joong-ki have acting down, he seems to have mastered the art of modesty, too.

Rather than basking in his renewed stardom, Song on Wednesday attributed his popularity to the novelty of the soldier-doctor couple in the TV series "Descendants of the Sun."

"I think people like the idea of a doctor dating a soldier because it's different," he told reporters at Hyundai Motorstudio in southern Seoul. "Doctors have appeared in many dramas, but a soldier is a relatively uncommon occupation on TV. I think people appreciate that."

Song went as far as to praise the screenplay of "Descendants of the Sun" as "the best he's ever seen."

"I've been wondering a lot lately whether I did the script justice," he said. "Despite having had plenty of time to prepare since the series is entirely pre-produced, I've been seeing a lot of room for improvement in my acting."

Song plays Army Capt. Yoo Si-jin who falls in love with doctor Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo) in the KBS 2TV series, which has caused a huge sensation in both South Korea and China where the show is broadcast simultaneously.

Reflecting the popularity in China, media reports claimed a Chinese college student had been diagnosed with glaucoma from watching too many Korean dramas.

There has even been reports that Chinese authorities have warned people over "health concerns" stemming from watching too much of the series.

But Song says he's having a hard time believing these news reports.

"I can only guess (at my popularity in China) from media reports and messages from my friends in China," he said. "I don't think greater popularity abroad would make much difference in my life. Currently, I'm focusing my efforts on preparing for my next work."

When asked about the scene in which he sneaks a kiss with Kang, Song says it was a result of "hard effort."

"I was worried about whether it would seem genuine, whether viewers would find it believable, and how intense the kiss should be," he said. "Thankfully, the response has been positive, which is a relief for me."

As with any TV series, "Descendants of the Sun" has had its fair share of criticism, with the show being accused of lacking a plot and condoning militarism. But Song advises viewers to hold their thoughts until the end.

"The script isn't just about love between a doctor and a soldier. It's also about love for mankind," he said. "It's why I chose to be on the show.... Criticisms are welcome, but I hope you watch it til the end."

The two Songs will depart for Hong Kong in early April for their first international event to promote the show. The event will take place sometime before April 6, which is when the series will premiere on the channel Viu TV in Hong Kong, their agencies say.

New episodes of "Descendants of the Sun" air every Wednesday and Thursday at 10 p.m.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/03/16/0200000000AEN20160316005951315.html?input=www.tweeter.com

Thanks so much for sharing the news :D for SJK DotS script is the best so far for him, it says alot for me. We just have to trust the writer, DotS will be one beautiful love story that will not be easily forgotten.

He even wonder if he did justice to the script, how humble he is, didn't he read all those praises attended to him? He nailed his character i feel like he really exist. 

I can't wait to know more from SHK point of view on the script and drama in general. And how her cooperation with SJK in the drama, they made a perfect couple. They have done a great job! 

Btw, Jin Goo, how cute is he, i think his real character is the opposite of SDY, hope more project for him too! KJW, ahh, such a beauty! There must be something in their genes.

• Like 13

Would like to ask if anyone here knows where I could watch the livestream.. Unfortunately kbs player doesn't work in my region and kbs world tv isn't showing it too. Please help, just excited to watch.

Thanks so much.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, crixa said:

Even Korean netizens noticed it. :tears: When will SJK mention SHK? I want me some Song-Song love. I guess I'll have to settle with KMY-YSJ chemistry. Excited for episode 7. :w00t:

thank you @rubylia for the update :)

Looks like everyone is noticing it. It's really weird, like isn't it the most obvious question that a journalist would ask? 

• Like 15

4 minutes ago, bratita said:

Would like to ask if anyone here knows where I could watch the livestream.. Unfortunately kbs player doesn't work in my region and kbs world tv isn't showing it too. Please help, just excited to watch.

Thanks so much.

Hi you, I think you should open by IE ( not FF or Chrome)  . Because KBS live only runs on IE.

link stream online: http://www.kbs.co.kr/player/player_playlist.php?ch=12

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, joongkyo said:

Looks like everyone is noticing it. It's really weird, like isn't it the most obvious question that a journalist would ask? 

Exactly. Even SHK is being asked. JG and KJW too. Maybe just maybe, they were already instructed not to ask SJK questions about SHK? I'm not certain but this is the only explanation I can come up with. :huh:

• Like 13

SJK is smart and humble with his answer "The script isn't just about love between a doctor and a soldier. It's also about love for mankind," he said. "It's why I chose to be on the show.... Criticisms are welcome, but I hope you watch it til the end."

They are all so lovely today at the press-con and this will boost the show popularity further with all the publicity. Let this week ratings soar even higher to another level. DOTS fighting! Rumors go away!

918213_1715437472034053_135713235_n.jpg?
Spoiler

12825699_193308417709886_286496596_n.jpg

916058_685255541614917_1667287057_n.jpg?916058_685255541614917_1667287057_n.jpg?

1172872_1519776998330319_1719606615_n.jp

via luck5454 IG

• Like 17

58 minutes ago, dlyfie87_at_gmail.com_stv said:

@deeand

MOD EDIT: Please do NOT quote images.

this is what i'm talking about...looks the same..

cr to owner

oo.. sorry...

if she wear it in the drama. that is definitely Product replacement. it's sponsored product. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IrisFM said:

Congrats SJK! I'm sure you will receive many more awards.

So manly and handsome and cute with the little heart :wub:

MOD EDIT: Please do NOT quote images.

cr: _maychaisr IG

URi Captain IS throwing hearts everywhere..looking dapper as always :)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, strngrinkr said:

I'm reading news articles on the press conference and in one of the articles SJK was indeed asked about what it was like to shoot with SHK. He answers that he was quite nervous in the beginning but it was great. In other articles he mentions that the script was the best he's ever read, expressing confidence in the drama and urging the viewers to continue watching. 

No, I got that but that's such a standard answer. One would think that journalists would ask for a more detailed answers, like how Hye Kyo pointed out things about his real life personality. I mean SJK gave long and great answers for all of his questions. But this one just seems so run of the mill, obviously one would  say they had a great time working with a co-star.

1 minute ago, crixa said:

Exactly. Even SHK is being asked. JG and KJW too. Maybe just maybe, they were already instructed not to ask SJK questions about SHK? I'm not certain but this is the only explanation I can come up with. :huh:

Righto. 

Weird, I thought journalists would be all up in their face with such questions.

Anywho, super excited for episode 7. We've got to be the only bunch of crazies who love the middle of the week so much. No weekends for us, it's all about the Wednesdays and Thursdays.

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, ars_linh said:

Hi you, I think you should open by IE ( not FF or Chrome)  . Because KBS live only runs on IE.

link stream online: http://www.kbs.co.kr/player/player_playlist.php?ch=12

my browser is chrome and KBS live stream works fine on my end.... you have to go to their home page first, http://www.kbs.co.kr/ select "on air" and then select KBS2, it will not work on chrome if you click on that direct link that you provided....

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, joongkyo said:

No, I got that but that's such a standard answer. One would think that journalists would ask for a more detailed answers, like how Hye Kyo pointed out things about his real life personality. I mean SJK gave long and great answers for all of his questions. But this one just seems so run of the mill, obviously one would  say they had a great time working with a co-star.

Righto. 

Weird, I thought journalists would be all up in their face with such questions.

Anywho, super excited for episode 7. We've got to be the only bunch of crazies who love the middle of the week so much. No weekends for us, it's all about the Wednesdays and Thursdays.

I agree with you all. Well, although it is not quite popular, some interviews & presscon has some screening prior to the event. Attendees like the reporters are sometimes mandatorily asked to submit questions prior to the event in order to maintain & protect the actress/actors image. With this event though, I don't know because wasn't it announced just recently? So I am not sure if they have the leisure selecting questions at that point. Moreover, they have asked other cast member about those "what do u think of him/her questions". I too, felt strange that they don't go belly hopping and asking what SJK thinks of SHK, either personality wise, professionalism/work ethics or just simply the SHK person that she is. SHK made a lot of these statements already pertaining to SJK but we are left with nothing as far as his experience working with her. Oh well, will wonders never cease!? Maybe they should hold another presscon where WE are the ones asking questions since we have gazillions of 'em cooking in our heads! Lol. 

• Like 16

Roundup: New Korean TV drama gains great popularity in S.Korea, China

Xinhua, March 16, 2016

New South Korean TV drama is gaining great popularity both in South Korea and China, being poised to surpass the stronghold of the 2014 big hit "My Love from the Star."

"Descendants of the Sun," the first Korea-TV drama series to be broadcast in South Korea and China simultaneously, has dominated the Wednesday-Thursday nighttime slot since it premiered on Feb. 24.

The KBS 2TV show's viewing rate continued to gain from 14.3 percent in South Korea for the first episode to 23.4 percent for the third, according to local viewership tracker Nielsen Korea.

It surged to 28.5 percent for the sixth episode on March 10, topping the highest viewing rate of 28.1 percent recorded by "My Love from the Star," a sci-fi rom-com SBS TV drama that became a mega hit in China and South Korea.

South Korean actor Song Joong-Ki, who plays the army captain Yoo Si-jin, told a press conference in Seoul on Wednesday that he hasn't realized his popularity in China yet though he just guessed it based on text messages sent by his friend staying in China.

"Descendants of the Sun" has garnered great support from Chinese fans. It reportedly attracted more than 440 million views in China with six episodes, surpassing the track record of "My Love from the Star." The show is released in China through the video streaming website iQiyi.

By last Thursday, Chinese fans searched for the drama at least 2.5 billion times through China's Twitter-like microblog Sina Weibo.

Asked about the reason of popularity, Song told reporters that a love story between a doctor and a soldier was seen as being "novel" to viewers as a solider is an occupation that can be rarely found on TV dramas.

"Descendants of the Sun" tells a love story between an army captain Yoo Si-jin, played by actor Song Joong-ki, and a doctor Kang Mo-yeon played by South Korean actress Song Hye-kyo.

They accidentally meet in a fictional war-torn country, called Uruk, as the male protagonist is deployed for a peacekeeping mission and the female is sent for voluntary medical service.

Actress Song Hye-kyo said that many people loved the rom-com drama due to what she called a balance between serious and light stories, noting that she was happy about being able to display the power of the Korean drama.

The rom-com drama, composed of 16 episodes, was pre-produced completely before being aired. It was unusual for Korean drama series, as South Korean producers tend to make shows on an episode-by-episode basis to leave room for adjustments according to reaction from viewers.

New episodes will be broadcast every Wednesday and Thursday at 10 p.m. local time.

http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_Wire/2016-03/16/content_38042981.htm

• Like 21