[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Thank you @foodie27 for the collection of gifs, they surely bring a better mood for this DoTS-less night, this is the first wednesday night without uri bigboss & pretty doctor.

Gosh, i miss them badly!! It's like trying to move on from a very amazing relationship. I suck in saying goodbye to great drama.

Still re-watching, and re-watching, listening to the OSTs, refreshing this thread, and..re-watching some more. I'm completely utterly high on DoTS. Save me, Captain, i mean Major Yoo!!

• Like 9

8 hours ago, viyra said:

Yes - if there's an image of where we can read KMY's age, I might be able to help because I can read some hanguel.   I don't think YSJ is older than KMY.  The only time YSJ mentioned the word 'oppa' was when they were at the theater - thinking he is 'oppa' to KMY.  Also, YMJ and KMY knew each other from school and when they met for the first time at the hospital, KMY addressed YMJ as YMJ-ssi - YMJ addressed KMY as Kang MoYeon sunbae.  The only reason YSJ asked YMJ to address KMY as sunbae was because YMJ was so blunt talking to KMY (scene where YMJ reported to Mowuro).  At the café, when they were arguing on who should say 'I love you' first, YSJ suggested they go by name - K comes before Y so he wants KMY to say it - then he changed it to 'by age' - and then KMY said 'why do you always want me to say it first'.  So I still believe KMY older than YSJ.

Someone was nice to repost the image. Could you list the names please. I am not good at Hangul hahaha reason why I am asking is I want to know the ages of the other people too

• Like 1

Social rules of engagement in Korea that reference age is so complex... I wonder though if it's starting to change. I find this "having to pay for everyone younger" really odd. Sounds actually like a very stressful place to live in. :P 

About the age thing - I also think that YSJ is younger and the dates they showed in the series was an oversight of error on the production team's side, just as how they made (glaring) errors with the dates of Argus' death, YMJ's date of redeployment back to Urk, and eventually YSJ's date of promotion too. As someone said earlier in the thread, they could've just invested in a good calendar app. :D 

I'm more interested in how SJK is informal with SHK in the BTS. Hahaha... 

Question for culturally Korean people here: does SJK address SHK as "Hye Kyo ssi"? Isn't that very informal by Korean standards?

@Elfida Nenri @princessmantou, anyone else? explanations? :P

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Social rules of engagement in Korea that reference age is so complex... I wonder though if it's starting to change. I find this "having to pay for everyone younger" really odd. Sounds actually like a very stressful place to live in. :P 

About the age thing - I also think that YSJ is younger and the dates they showed in the series was an oversight of error on the production team's side, just as how they made (glaring) errors with the dates of Argus' death, YMJ's date of redeployment back to Urk, and eventually YSJ's date of promotion too. As someone said earlier in the thread, they could've just invested in a good calendar app. :D

I used to wonder about the whole paying for someone younger thing too, because I know if someone were always paying for me every time we went out, I'd actually feel uncomfortable and stop going out with that friend.  I like to keep things fair when dining out with friends.  If they treat me one meal, I make sure to treat them next.  But in a blog I once read (wish I could remember where) it was pointed out that it's essentially a ladder effect.  Although someone would be paying for one of my meals, I'd be paying for someone else who's younger the next.  It promotes a communal culture and, I have to say, from that perspective, it actually sounds pretty warm and cozy.  :)

As for the age thing, I know it's hard to argue against his comment about being a 1983 Pisces and the birthdate shown on the list of volunteers, but I'm also inclined to believe that KMY is older and that the production team made a mistake.  The conversations they had throughout the series tended to imply she was older.  Otherwise, why keep making jokes about her being old?  Having said that, I don't know that it really matters to me who is older either.  :P

BUT, speaking of production team mistakes, is it just me or is there a discrepancy in the story over how YSJ and SDY met?  In the scene where they're running away from the soldiers SDY had once trained, YSJ said he also remembered when SDY had been his hell instructor.  Which would imply that they met when YSJ was still in training.  But when YMJ tells the story of how YSJ and SDY met (and when see how YMJ and SDY met), it's showed that they met when YSJ transferred to their base to be in command.  This seems to be at odds to me, and I can't quite reconcile those two events.

• Like 10

LOL.. This age discussion still not over. I dont care if YSJ is the oppa or not for KMY. Anyways he is an oppa for ME:P

I m really sad that dots ended and i dont know when i will be able to see my oppa's face again on my screen. I know he is going to be in a movie but dramas are easily accessible than movies for international viewers like us and i dont think he will be in a drama anytime soon. Considering his huge popularity now he will be really picky in choosing his next project. Sigh..( i have been waiting for LMH for almost 2 years now and i am not even sure whether he will do a drama before enlisting). :mellow:

• Like 6

I agree with others that despite the written ages, that SJ is younger.  He made that joke that she was older (and she didn't dispute it) until the end.  She also knows how old he is from his chart. I don't think he's THAT much younger, but he's the younger one in the relationship.  

First totally free DoTS-less Wednesday...  

6BuBkWR.gif

I don't know what to do with my life. 

• Like 13

Cr to owner

BTS compilation of SJK and SHK. I have been watching this video continously fpr the past two days. They are so cute together. I cant handle it. Wishing them to be a couple in real life too.

If this video has been already posted then please ignore it

• Like 13

3 hours ago, gilaswan said:

I'm more interested in how SJK is informal with SHK in the BTS. Hahaha... 

Question for culturally Korean people here: does SJK address SHK as "Hye Kyo ssi"? Isn't that very informal by Korean standards?

@Elfida Nenri @princessmantou, anyone else? explanations? :P

He calls her noona as a formality. Even in all interviews he call her noona. SJK himself said he address SHK as noona.

The reason why I said YSJ and KMY is possible same age rather than YSJ younger is because of the way they speak to each other. Especially since its a TV drama and its scripted. No writers in the right mind in Korea would write informal language if YSJ is actually younger than KMY. Koreans would have an uproar about it. I was thinking that its possibly KMY joking that she's the noona in ep 2... You don't yell at your noona or oppa 'Yah'. It's major disrespectful especially when others heard it.

And they generally seem to pay for each other depending. Its a 'give and take' relationship and thats usually for same aged friends. 

In ep 16 where YSJ said then say I love you by age, in Korea usually when someone say let's go by age its actually referring to the younger one going first. That's why I wondered if YSJ is the oppa rather than KMY. Because he stated that they should go by age instead. If KMY is older than YSJ, it is right for him to address her as noona even if they are in a relationship. 

In Korea being the Oppa or Noona in the relationship actually shows how the relationship dynamics is like and there will be a vast difference in treatment. That's why in some dramas where the scriptwriter would state the age difference very clearly, it is always the noonas leading the male leads. If the guy is the oppa usually he will lead. It's ambiguous in this case thats why I was wondering if they are the same age. Because if one is actually younger. One would speak formal and the other would speak informal. But in this case, both spoke informally. 

My sister dated a younger Korean guy and even though its by one year, the guy expect her to pay and baby him like a kid. Whereas I dated an oppa and in return he would always put on a tougher and more alpha demeanour. 

Our YSJ and KMY, if they are truly born in the same year... its not only the same year they share LOL.... They both are blood type A and very goodlooking.

@themarchioness

If KMY tried 3-4 times to be a professor, it would be safe to say her age is 32/33. Because in Korea you need to do the whole resident thing finish by 27 and then you have to apply to be a professor by 29. 

To be Captain of the ROKA, including military academy. YSJ stated he was in the military for 15 years. 18 years old plus 15 years... 5 years in military academy and it takes 10 years to rise to the position of captain... .... Yup its his age 1983...

• Like 4

oh hehe, DOTS ended and left us too many questions that we can't solve by ourselves, let's vote for DOTS 2 with the same cast and crew, directors,writers so we can have closure over DOTS :wub::heart::wub:

name of the movie they failed to watch 3 times remains secret

name of the kid 

the balcony kiss, though in BTS they showed more close-up one, but not close enough, should be like truck kiss or shipwreck kiss

babies of YSJ and KMY that we never get to see

@princessmantou have to disagree with you on how SJK addresses SHK, the guy is just really confused on how to address SHK, hehe, sometimes noona, sunbae, sometimes SHK-ssi, HK-ssi, then goes further as called her "SHK, HK" :wub: and if based on what you stated about the formal-informal language between people in Korea, I don't know how to call SJK-SHK's relationship, in BTS, the guy never speak formal language to her. I personally think despite the culture , nowadays that depends on how people think, if you have good relationship in really comfortable level with people who older than you, you can also use the informal language with them, without other people think you're rude, but from that they will know you two in a really close relationship :)

oh, and @princessmantou please do not quote pic, it is against soompi's rule 

below statement is made by one of director of DOTS, not SJK himself 

17 minutes ago, princessmantou said:

Let me quote this from a soompi artcle:

When asked what Song Joong Ki usually calls Song Hye Kyo, he replies, “Sometimes he calls her sunbae, and sometimes he calls her noona.”

• Like 6

@SkyKid He did use formal language with her. His tone may not sound formal but the choice of words is. Its so important in Korea that if you left out a 'yo' its considered rude. Especially to natives like SHK and SJK its like something they are raised with. Calling her noona is a form of respect its not something that pulls them apart... in fact closer. There is nothing wrong with calling someone noona, Its the same as girls calling a guy oppa. 

I never watch any videos of SJK calling SHK. Hyekyo ah or Song Hyekyo... its always addressed with a salutation. If there is any... please show... I'm just wondering... Because even as lovers, even I have to address my boyfriend as sunbaenim at times... I can't just yell his name like that in public. Especially since they are on film and there are cameras filmming... its just common celebrity sense to watch how they speak. Korea is a very sensitive country in terms of this. 

I don't know how to reply without quoting lol... Oh yup is the director. I didn't say it was SJK...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, princessmantou said:

Kang Mo Yeon 1983 Sept 14
Song Myeong Man 1979 June 12
Kim Dong Sik 1982 June 05
Cheong Sang Hun 1981 March 18
Lee Chi Hun 1989 June 23
Lee Chan Jung 1985 August 09
Kim Han Su 1986 Dec 30
Ha Ja Ae 1979 July 28

@winterbubbletea

Thank you, dearie.

I have to ask because I am a bit dim here...

Song Myeong Man 1979 June 12 (36)  <-I assume that this is Doctor Song Sang Hyun
Kim Dong Sik 1982 (33) June 05
Cheong Sang Hun (34) 1981 March 18
Lee Chi Hun 1989 June 23 (27) <-So this is Doctor Lee the rich baby. XD
Lee Chan Jung 1985 August 09 (31)
Kim Han Su 1986 Dec 30  (32)
Ha Ja Ae 1979 July 28 (36) <-This is Nurse Ha

I do want to ask...what about the other four people. I dunno who they are hahaha...

@SkyKidIf SJK were to really spoke to SHK informally... its a miracle how Korean netizens didn't slammed him for it. Knowing Korean netizens, they are on the watch out for even the slightest disrespect. When I watched the BTS he spoke in formal language rather than informal language to her and he called her noona... I not sure if the translated version shows that. But that's what I heard in Korean...

@winterbubbletea Nope thats not Dr Song. He's not in the visible part of the list I guess. Even nurse choi is not there... I guess the other names are the names of the other doctors and nurses:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, princessmantou said:

Because of DOTS... I spend 100,000 won today on Laneige products... Damn you Song Hye Kyo... There is a DOTS promotion where if any of you get Laneige products you will get a DIY kit to make your makeup look DOTS-ish....

Is the product good?

Hmm I would have hope to have the doctor's Birthday. All this research just for fan fiction is bad for me haha. Well given at least I know the nurse Ha birthday now.

4 minutes ago, winterbubbletea said:

Is the product good?

Hmm I would have hope to have the doctor's Birthday. All this research just for fan fiction is bad for me haha. Well given at least I know the nurse Ha birthday now.

By the way... I read all of your fics... I love them.

I bought the lipstick and cushion she uses... I've tried most cushion on the market except Laneige because I was against Laneige but the promotion tempted me and I did get it. Right now its my holygrail.... I think Laneige and IOPE has the best cushion in Korea and Internationally... You should try... you won't regret... I didn't... I wanted to slap myself for not getting it earlier... It makes my skin looks flawless

@winterbubbletea I would spectaculate Dr Song is older than Nurse Ha by 2 to 3 years because she did mention when she's in nurse school he was a doctor in training and he helped her. 

4 minutes ago, princessmantou said:

By the way... I read all of your fics... I love them.

I bought the lipstick and cushion she uses... I've tried most cushion on the market except Laneige because I was against Laneige but the promotion tempted me and I did get it. Right now its my holygrail.... I think Laneige and IOPE has the best cushion in Korea and Internationally... You should try... you won't regret... I didn't... I wanted to slap myself for not getting it earlier... It makes my skin looks flawless

*Bows* Thank you very much for your patronage. I apologize if my stories are hard to read sometimes, because I don't write it in word with spell checker haha

Ah...I was wondering about the cushion when I saw her use it during Episode 1. Unfortunately, I don't believe Laneige brand is in America. Though I am curious how much is the standard cost in US dollars? I also seriously doubt it can make my skin look flawless. XD I got dots on my face like any animal out there in the world.

Edit: Correction it is sold in usa...I check online *DIES* NM...its 34.00 XD