[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

:Lots of people are forgetting DOTS is a drama and most of the scenario is unreal - although some are almost happening in real life - so why expect more?  They even created a fictional place or country and fictional  characters like the president Mubarak of the Arab country.  The purpose of dramas is to entertain - if in episode 1 I don't feel entertained, I would drop it immediately from my list of dramas to watch so I don't have to feel regretful later.  Just saying ......... I have to watch this again when I wake up.  Bed is calling .........

• Like 20

47 minutes ago, jemmaca said:

. The man has been held hostage for 5 months. Surely that is enough time to do some serious soul searching about his life. I

That's so very true! There is something to be resolved over there. And if they could show action scenes every step of the way with other 'events' that has happend to YSJ why not show it this time around i'm sure an escape run can be really exciting. 

45 minutes ago, soulgirl012 said:

I'm probably a minority here or I have too high of an expectation...

K writers really CANNOT write endings! This is one shitty ending! They really should have end it at that ep where the medical team returns to Korea.

Forget the last 2 eps being anticlimactic and too many cheessy scenes. Fine!  OK! I'll get pass that! But damn it, can't the production team do I little research? I am sitting in Vancouver watching this and THAT IS NOT VANCOUVER and WE DON'T HAVE VOLCANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The drama starts out so strong and I don't mind a happy ending (I was predicting a much dramatic sad ending!) but really.. this is personally an unhappy happy ending. And what's with the crappy editing when MY and SJ reunited? Did anyone see that?

Sorry this has turn into a rant, but this ending does not deserve a 40+ rating. I'm sorry, but no.

You're not if you've seen my post and some other posts. :)

That is true there are a lot of kdramas where I pick it up, get excited and somehow lost interest and actually never watch the last 2 episodes or so. It's precisely the same issue.

Haha I didn't know much about Vancouver but that's hilarious.

Yes I picked up a lot of the editing. I know what happened with the reunion because they just want to show that KMY went through the many stages of denial, anger, indifference, relief when she was reunited. They wanted to show that YSJ just let her be and took that in. But i think in terms of editing it could be done better, as in with sound fade outs and not as jumpy or some other technique.

The same chop happen later in the episode can't rmeember but KMY was laughing or replying and it was suddenly another scene. 

16 minutes ago, viyra said:

:Lots of people are forgetting DOTS is a drama and most of the scenario is unreal - although some are almost happening in real life - so why expect more?  They even created a fictional place or country and fictional  characters like the president Mubarak of the Arab country.  The purpose of dramas is to entertain - if in episode 1 I don't feel entertained, I would drop it immediately from my list of dramas to watch so I don't have to feel regretful later.  Just saying ......... I have to watch this again when I wake up.  Bed is calling .........

I don't think we're forgetting. There's some dramas that are fantasy, and some dramas that are not. But even when you a watch fantasy you still have rules within the fantasy world. This is where suspension of disbelief come from.  it's not a matter that the country is fictional, but humans would still use certain kinds of logic and physics rules. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, jemmaca said:

As to Vancouver and the volcano I posted earlier on this and it really is silly. This scenario is farfetched. But yes there are 2 volcanoes reasonably close to Vancouver. Mt. Garibaldi being the closest but not likely to be a problem. That you don't know about Mt. Garibaldi is not really a surprise but surely you know about Mt. Baker? It is on the other side of the border but is clearly visible from Vancouver. Hopefully I can attach this nice picture of Vancouver and suburbs with the volcano in the background..

IMHO ppl are missing the pun here ... for a volcano to erupt in Vancouver is as unlikely as DOTS 2nd season... 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, giragira said:

I don't think we're forgetting. There's some dramas that are fantasy, and some dramas that are not. But even when you a watch fantasy you still have rules within the fantasy world. This is where suspension of disbelief come from.  it's not a matter that the country is fictional, but humans would still use certain kinds of logic and physics rules.

Exactly. I'm not forgetting either but it needs to follow some basic rules. And we each have those things we  have a harder time suspending our disbelief over. For me it is the timeline. I really feel the writer needs to invest in a calendar and use it when creating the basic outline. Clearly I am not the only one at least a little bit irked by this. I have seen several attempts to fit it together and for me they don't work.

KMY gets back together with YSJ on his death anniversary. We know this because she says so and because she prepares the food for the memorial table. This is a rite that takes place on the annual anniversary of the person's death. (as well as some holidays) If there is another time that I don't know about please someone let me know. So this gives us a very solid period of time to work with. Adding this to the dates the show gives us and our timeline is unbelievable.

We also know that November 30 2015 is the date Lt. Yoon transfered back to Urk (ep 15 ~38:54). and that is in the one year period somewhere

Remainder of timeline:

• Argus died March 3rd 2016 (seen on coffin lid) but lets say this is a typo and should say 2015.
  • Everyone returns to korea
  • Unknown amount of time spent in Korea. Our boys go to North Korea and then are running security. Then are injured and recover.
  • 3 month assignment that goes long

(I reckon we must be in at least late June 2015 but likely later)

• official date of death
  • 155 days hostages starts (22 weeks)

(This takes us to beginning of December 2015 at earliest but could be months and months later)

• our boys escape and some unknown time passes for them to get back to local HQ. They are still showing signs of injury including fairly fresh scars so its not a long time at HQ)
  • (missing time)
  • death anniversary that needs memorial table
  • 157 days (22.5 weeks) that Lt. Yoon in Urk after boys return to Korea.
  • March 25 2016 YSJ promoted (ep 16 ~29:35)
  • Lt Yoon returns
    (has to be before September 2016)
  • (missing time)
  • Mess Hall kiss and reads wedding invite. (said she can't break something of SDY as then he can't travel - so the reading of invite must be within a month or two of wedding. Really can't be much earlier than November 1 2016.
  • Daniel&yehwa wedding December 31 2016

At least one of the missing time periods is quite large. Thankfully I will forget it as the weeks go on and I watch other shows but it bothers me because it is an easy thing for a writer to get dates correct and if they had done so this would greatly have improved my feeling for this show.

• Like 8

'Descendants of the Sun' secures 12.2 bln won worth of ad deals

"Descendants of the Sun," the just-closed sensational TV series, rewrote the history of commercial success for terrestrial networks' weeknight dramas.

The KBS 2TV's mini-series secured a combined 12.2 billion won ($10.6 million) worth of advertisement deals, including virtual advertising and PPL, according to sources in the broadcasting industry.

The sum is close to the show's total production cost of 13 billion won and more than double the number of MBC TV's 2014 hit drama "Pretty Woman."

All 28 fifteen-minute TV commercial spots running before and after the drama were sold out, which is rare for a weeknight series. The number rose to 32 from the 7th episode as the show's viewership rating kept going up.

The situation was the same with advertisement deals for the drama's weekend reruns. All of its 24 fifteen-minute advertisement slots were sold out from March 12 when the fifth and sixth episodes were replayed. The number was later increased to 28 boosted by the show's popularity both in South Korea and China.

The 16-episode drama concluded on Thursday night with 38.8 percent viewership, its highest yet.

Industry sources say this is a huge success at a time when terrestrial television networks struggle against the waning number of watchers and ever-rising challenges from cable TV programs.

"Before, the average viewership of terrestrial stations' mini-series fell to the 3-5 percent level and it was difficult for them to exceed even the 10-percent mark," an industry official said. (Yonhap)

'Descendants of the Sun' concludes with 38.8% viewership

The season finale of the runway hit drama "Descendants of the Sun" was watched by 38.8 percent of viewers in South Korea, data showed Friday.

The result was just 1.2 percentage points shy of the much anticipated 40 percent mark. Reaching it would have made the show the first weeknight series to do so in the country since "Moon Embracing the Sun" in 2012.

In Seoul, where the show has been more popular, 44.2 percent of viewers tuned in Thursday night, data by Nielsen Korea showed.

In the 16th and final episode, Dr. Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo) reunites with Army Capt. Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki), who went missing a year ago and had been presumed dead, in Uruk, the fictional war-torn country where they worked as a volunteer doctor and the captain of the South Korean special forces, respectively.

"You should come find me in your next life," Kang says at the end, to which Yoo replies, "I promise."

Meanwhile, two episodes of both MBC's "Goodbye, Mr. Black" and SBS's "Please Come Back, Mister" were aired on Thursday after each missed an episode due to South Korea's general elections on Wednesday. They had shared the same time slot as "Descendants of the Sun."

They both ended in single digits -- at 3.8 percent and 2.6 percent, respectively. (Yonhap)

• Like 17

On 4/6/2016 at 5:10 PM, inshara2000 said:

MOD EDIT: Please do NOT quote videos.

Cr- Nayaa 

Hi All

Can anyone help me to check if this scene is in which episode because i can't find in episode 13? Is this scene at ending of episode 13? Or this is just a trailer and not in any of the episode? Thanks so much. :)

Hello my dear DOTS chingu deul

Whew finally DOTS ended with the highest ratings some more, congratulations to everyone involved for DOTS and not forgetting to us too, the fans :) who have been here most of the time to spazz, recaps, sharing stuffs such as pictures and videos.

I'm happy that the writer (KES) decided to change the ending to a happy one. I never watched Lover in Paris so didn't know that its ending was so bad.

Hope to see any of you in other threads.....Annyeong chingu deul :phew::wub:

• Like 8

Yoon Myung-joo dies in original scenario

Yoon Myung-joo, played by Korean rising star Kim Ji-won, was supposed to be killed in a draft version of the “Descendants of the Sun” script, local media reported Friday.

Korean news outlets disclosed this fact after the final episode was aired Thursday. The drama had a happy ending with none of main characters -- military officer Yoo Shi-jin, surgeon Kang Mo-yeon, noncommissioned officer Seo Dae-young and Yoon -- wounded or killed.

After a series of discussions between the scriptwriter Kim Eun-sook and the production team, it was decided to end it on a happy note.

“I was initially told that I was supposed to die,” Kim told media off-the-record while the drama was being aired. “But I was content with the final scenario, which makes everyone happy.”

This came as scriptwriter Kim in 2004 left many viewers baffled and upset after her drama “Lovers in Paris” -- which had record high nationwide viewer ratings of 56.3 percent for the last episode -- was harshly criticized after the love story between an ordinary woman and a rich businessman turned out to be false.

By Son Ji-hyoung (json@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, barneybaby said:

Hi All

Can anyone help me to check if this scene is in which episode because i can't find in episode 13? Is this scene at ending of episode 13? Or this is just a trailer and not in any of the episode? Thanks so much. :)

this showed as the review of ep 14, which we thought will have sth to do with Captain critical situation in hospital, flashback of Doctor Kang, but it didn't happen, so it only showed in the preview, maybe we can have a completed view in 3 special eps :rolleyes:

I have one question to ask, since I watched ep 16 with Chinese sub, then English and both are not my native, I don't really understand the line "my best, your glance" using in camping scene and at KMY's house ^^ what does it mean? 

Hi Skykid

Thanks so much for your reply..save my day!! :D I was thinking what mission is SJK going to do which i have missed out. Ohh...so that scene was not in any of the episode!! Thanks a million!! :) 

Actually i don't quite get the line "my best, your glance" too. have to re-watch again for the XXX times to understand...y i keep have to repeat so many times for a scene! kekeke

• Like 2

One thing for sure – The ending is crazy… absurd I should say … but :D … compare to most KDrama I’ve watched .. THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST EVER ENDING IN THE HISTORY OF KDRAMA …

1 hour of pure bliss … not 15 mins .. not 10 min .. 1 hour to completely wrap everything … unlike some ending so rushed .. that happy moment the most you’d get is only 10 to 15 min .. sometime worst .. 5 second … some don’t even have an ending….

And that Vancouver – OMG the credits were rolling … it was pure joke .. JOKE, PUN .. kekekkekekekek.. it was suppose to make us laugh ..

• Like 20

Wohao..so just finished watching it..

FIRST.. THANK GOD for the happy ending.. else I would have turned into a zombie..all heartbroken..

1. Yy happy ending

2. Why were we not shown the socks under bedsheet :P  scene.. not fair

3. Kudos to all you worked on this.. and I have to say..there are obvious merits in the script and all..but this script badly needed an actor who could pull off YSJ role with such aplomb..it is a difficult role wherein dialogies can instantly go from tacky - cheesy to ott aggression..

I loved him in werewolf boy..and i am seeing him here for the second time..he is fantastic..tempted to watch more of his work.. He is what I would call truly an actor... give him any role he would do justics..unlike some actors who are good or can carry off only particular kind of roles..

( From characterization perspective... nthg to do with SJK but YSJ was the most layered character...bravo)

4. Hats off to the scriptwriters....such small instances with multiple meanings.. excellent direction

5. ANd biggest clap for cinematographer.. the screen looked b'ful in every frame..and a crucial reason for its success..it didn't just lok pretty but looked fresh...

6. Onew- learnt his name on this serial only.. Who is he? WHy were people looking fwd to his stint in this seris? ANy background on him will help - And i loved him.. perfect dose of niceness, politeness, grt acting..

7. all the support cast/leading cast...the foreigners as well..the goat too.. (i love blackey..ahem the kid i mean)

8. Time to get one of those t-shirts..they are mega cute

9 by the way .. what were the ratings? for ep 16

• Like 11

Descendants of the Sun Episode 16 Recap

Posted on April 14, 2016 by ockoala

momo

I feel light as a feather writing this recap for the final episode 16 of Descendants of the Sun, a journey that has been equal parts fun and frustrating. It’s nice that both aspects were in play in this last episode but neither side dominated the other, with DotS heading off into the sunset with a soft touch akin to the glide of smooth satin on skin. I commented that this episode couldn’t be worse than episode 15 came true, and in a way that all the little nits were fine to let slide once the general mood reached contentment.

I’m happy to have watched and recapped an event drama for once since my selections are normally the odd and ratings obscure dramas. More meaningful was the unmitigated pleasure to chronicle Song Joong Ki’s rise to mega stardom in real time thanks to a star making performance. It’s nowhere near his best acting, but plenty awesome to warrant his dizzying rise to top Hallyu star. The actual drama ending was a mixed bag if you ask me, some will like the obsessive focus on romantic bows festooned on every couple while others are so distracted by the unholy amounts of PPL to want to move to a forest with no brand products. I found he final 60 minutes just fine, nothing to write home about but enough to bring a satisfied smile to my face.

===========

My favorite two scenes in this episode were when the medical team in Seoul thought Shi Jin’s ghost was haunting her, followed by the soldiers attending the Red Velvet concert going from commando to fanboy mode. I know the romance should be satisfying but honestly I was emotionally detached from both couples after three episodes of emotional manipulation. I’m still happy with the endings and the final scene of Shi Jin and Mo Yeon back on the stranded ship island was too beautiful for words, but it was like observing and appreciating a painting from an objective distance. Kim Eun Sook likes to add a teeny twist to her drama endings, not all the time but often enough that the way DotS ended with the volcano eruption in Vancouver was goofy enough to work as self-aware parody. When Chi Hoon broke the fourth wall and talked to the camera that was the only time I was surprised in the final episode, and he’s the perfect cutie pie character to sell this scene. For those who overlooked many instances of shoddy situational writing in this drama by claiming it’s just a love story, that’s not really valid because the drama ending was all about the duties of doctors and soldiers to heal and serve. The romance was within the context of all that healing and serving and not the end all be all, in which case Kim Eun Sook is pretty bad at writing serious stuff and should count her lucky stars that the leads sold the romance aspect so well it could be used as an excuse for the failing elsewhere. All in all, DotS is an indisputable success and leaves with a positive impression in my mind and a mostly warm and fuzzy feeling in my heart.

http://koalasplayground.com/2016/04/14/descendants-of-the-sun-episode-16-recap/#more-74289

==========

Original soundtrack of 'Descendants of the Sun' sells 60,000 copies

2016/04/15 

SEOUL, April 15 (Yonhap) --

The original soundtrack albums of the South Korean hit television series "Descendants of the Sun" have sold 60,000 copies in total, a local music distributor said on Friday.

The figure includes both the sale of 30,000 copies of vol. 1 of the soundtrack and 30,000 pre-orders for vol. 2, which will be released next week, according to Music&New.

The final episode of the sensationally popular TV series was broadcast on Thursday, with a viewer rating of 38.8 percent, narrowly missing the highly anticipated 40 percent milestone. Reflecting the popularity, 6-7 songs from its soundtracks have remained in the top 10 list of the country's online music streaming sites for the last two months.

A scene from "Descendants of the Sun" (Yonhap)

A scene from "Descendants of the Sun" (Yonhap)

The soundtrack album sales are highly unusual in that a song's popularity in the streaming site doesn't always lead to an album purchase.

In China, the online sales of the soundtracks reached nearly 1 billion won.

The 10-song soundtrack album sells for 20 yuan (3,600 won) and is available exclusively on Kugou, China's biggest online music site. So far 260,000 copies, worth 936 billion won, have been sold.

"It is a very meaningful achievement to sell the OST despite widespread illegal downloads in China. It was helpful (to the sale) that we didn't publish the music on the country's streaming sites," it said, adding it planned to do so later this month.

The distributor expected the sales to remain robust for the time being since three more special shows are scheduled to be shown and South Korean singer Kim Jun-soo's song "How Can I love You," which was unveiled on Thursday, is expected to keep its grip on fans in Korea and China alike.

In the soon-to-be-released vol. 2, 18 tracks -- 5 songs and 13 instrumental selections -- will be included, along with 50 pages of still cuts from the series and photos of the cast.

A scene from "Descendants of the Sun" shows Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki) and Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo) kissing. (Yonhap)

A scene from "Descendants of the Sun" shows Yoo Si-jin (Song Joong-ki) and Kang Mo-yeon (Song Hye-kyo) kissing. (Yonhap)

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

(END)

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/04/15/0200000000AEN20160415007100315.html?input=www.tweeter.com

========================

“Descendants of the Sun” Originally Had a Different Ending

Spoiler

“Descendants of the Sun” Originally Had a Different Ending

The KBS drama “Descendants of the Sun,” which ended yesterday, April 14 KST, was supposed to have a different ending.

Spoilers ahead, obviously

Local new source Munhwa reports that before the final script was confirmed,Kim Ji Won’s character, Yoon Myung Ju, was supposed to die. However, after discussions between writer Kim Eun Sook and the production team, the finale was confirmed to be a happy end.

Earlier, on April 13, Kim Eun Sook had commented on a radio show about the ending of the drama, “I’ve been scolded a lot by viewers regarding my endings. I don’t think I will be making the same mistake again.” Writer Kim Eun Sook has written many popular dramas, like “Lovers in Paris” and “Heirs,” and there were a few with endings that had viewers scratching their heads, to say the least, giving her a reputation for unsatisfying endings.

Kim Ji Won had commented in an unpublished interview earlier with Munhwa about her “sad ending,” saying, “I heard that about that, but the script I received had the happy ending.” She added, “It was an ending that everyone would be satisfied with.”

There were rumors going around before the finale that “Descendants of the Sun” would end with Song Joong Ki’s character dying, but thankfully, “Descendants of the Sun” ended with a happy ending, leaving most viewers satisfied.

“Descendants of the Sun” also ended with a ratings high, recording a 38.8 nationwide viewership rating.

soompi

• Like 22

I'm currently streaming Big B Radio #Kpop Station while enjoying my busy real life..looks like i pick the best streaming station ever..almost all our beloved DotS OST songs were played here.. :wub:

And seems like Xia Junsu's song,How Can I Love You was so popular here..it already being played like 4 times in 2 hours..me mumbling to myself "what the hell DJ??are you among DotS troopers too ?? :glasses:

And this song is really special to me too..it makes me got this flashback...the moment when we can clearly hear our Beauty's confession loud and clear.. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 14

are they keeping the socks battle for epilogue? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...

i really want to meet Soryeong Yoo in person...and of course ask permission from Madam Kang first :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

they choose Red Velvet not only because of good relation with SMent but they need a new name for The Duo Dumb and Dumbler if the want to use other like Cat (Tom and Jerry maybe) for AOA...

I like the whole drama with its lacks....

Love you Big Boss and Yeppeuni. Even after in my next life.

• Like 20