Im Si Wan 임시완

sky5joyous

*** Netflix is gearing up for a thrilling year in 2024, with an impressive lineup of Korean and global content set to captivate audiences around the world. The streaming giant recently announced its 'Next On Netflix' lineup for the year, featuring an array of highly anticipated shows and movies. Among the highlights of the 2024 lineup is 'Squid Game' season 2.  They're offering a diverse range of content to cater to various tastes. They will also bring to us some beloved movies with distinct qualities.  'Squid Game' Season 2 is highly anticipated. Netflix's Korean entertainment shows, which achieved significant success last year are set to continue their winning streak in 2024. This year, a variety of rich stories that can only be found on Netflix are about to be released. Netflix works that will bring fun, emotion, and thrill to everyone who loves entertainment will continue to come to our screens.   :blush:

*** I re-watched Im Siwan's latest drama "Boyhood".  Im Siwan has been showing a great deal of variety in every role he plays but on “ Boyhood” he just takes it to a whole new level. He fits just fine as a high schooler even though in reality he is 35 years old. (???) I LOL for him in this drama. Im Si-wan is a joy to watch. I absolutely love this show. His acting skills will never cease to amaze me. I love him even more. I enjoyed watching it. There were bits of comedy but I did not enjoy the bullying or the fighting scene by the real Asan Tiger. It felt weird to watch the boys smoke and drink in lounge because in the first place, were they allowed to smoke and drink during the time?  And it’s such a wonderfully charming and unique view of mistaken identity.    :blush:

*** On February 6 episode of ENA X Channel S' television show 'I Am Ground', the members of 'I Am Ground'―Hwang Kwang Hee, Son Dongpyo of boy group MIRAE, actors Lee Sang Yeob and Kim Min Gue―traveled to Rhodes, the largest of Greece's Dodecanese islands. Here, ZE:A's member Hwang Kwang Hee once again expressed his jealousy about his group mate Im Siwan being in the next season of 'Squid Game'. There, the four guys happened to speak to a married couple from the United Kingdom while having some drinks at a bar. Continuing the topic about Korean celebrities after joining tables, Lee Sang Yeob asked which celebrities/ K-content from Korea they know.  They replied, "As for content, we know 'Gangnam Style' and 'Squid Game,' of course," adding with excitement, "'Squid Game' was huge in the UK. It's still much-talked-about. Everyone's waiting for 'Squid Game 2' at the moment. We're really looking forward to watching it!" In response to their comment about 'Squid Game', Hwang Kwang Hee said, "Oh, one of the new cast members of 'Squid Game 2' is in the same group as me. I'm really jealous of him! I'm too jealous that I can't even get a good night's sleep these days! His name is Im Siwan. Please remember his name."   :happydance:

201892366_700.webp

source : SBS Star

Top Korean Shows and Movies to Look Forward to on Netflix in 2024

Over the years, Korean movies and TV shows have become extremely popular in the West. This is because of their high production quality and compelling storylines. Since Netflix is one of the world's leading streaming sites, it has recognized this trend and is actively acquiring and producing shows to keep audiences engaged.

With that being said, 2024 is going to be an exciting year for fans who love Korean movies and TV shows. Whether you like action-packed adventures, psychological thrillers, or K-dramas, there are films and series coming to Netflix that will pique your interest. Here are the top Korean shows you can expect to see this year.

"Squid Game - Season 2"

"Squid Game" is a thriller TV series that was released in 2021. The show follows a group of people looking for a way to get out of their financial troubles. They then receive a mysterious invitation to join a game show that offers contestants a large sum of money to complete a series of tasks. But what they don't realize is that the stakes are deadly.

In 2024, fans can expect "Squid Game - Season 2" with new faces and a storyline that explores the aftermath of the characters' lives from the first season. Fans can expect the release of the new season later this year, which promises a fresh dose of action and survival.

source : Hancinema

*** PMI, a research and consulting company, surveyed Korean women aged twenty to fifty-nine to discover which male actors they wanted to give chocolates to on Valentine’s Day. Im Siwan earned the fourth spot with nearly nine percent of the votes.    :kitty:

4. Im Si Wan — 8.9%

kdrama-actor-im-si-wan.png

source : https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/k-drama-actors-korean-women-give-chocolates-valentines-day-2024/

7 Seaside Based K-Dramas That Heal And Entertain

If you’re ever broken or tired, just feel the waves—the ocean has healing power. Likewise, very often our world-weary characters choose to leave the bright lights of a big city to get a dose of “vitamin sea.” From dealing with burnout to heartbreak or just wanting time out, these K-drama leads have sought the sun, sand, and sea to seek healing. Here are seven K-dramas where the coastal towns emerged as a central character in the narratives.

Summer Strike

summer-strike-4.jpg

Lee Yeo Reum (Seolhyun) has not had it easy, personally or professionally. The death of her mother makes her reassess her life. She decides to leave Seoul and heads to a small coastal town to rest and recharge. She meets Ahn Dae Bum (Im Siwan), an introverted librarian who keeps to himself and is weighed under the burden of his traumatic past. Dae Bum feels himself drawn to Yeo Reum and she to him. They realize they are in sync with each other and understand each other. It’s Yeo Reum who helps Dae Bum break down the walls he has created around him.

“Summer Strike” is a sweet slice-of-life drama, and the slow burn love story between the two characters is heartwarming.

Start watching “Summer Strike”:

Watch Now

credit : soompi news

*** On February 17th, Ex-ZE:A Kim Tae-heon uploaded a screenshot of the messages he shared with Im Si-wan on Instagram. In the released picture, Im Si-wan asked, “Which bank are you using?”, and Kim Tae-heon replied, “Ah, it’s Nonghyup… hehe I’ll tell fans about this. Hyung, what are you doing?”. Im Si-wan then said, “Tae-heon ah, prepare some money and pay for the meals whenever fans visit the restaurant. Try not to receive their money if possible”. Kim Tae-heon replied, “Yesㅜㅜ I’ll take care of them”, adding “Do you feel uncomfortable if I post this on Instagram Story?”, asking for permission to share the story. Last year, Kim Tae-heon revealed that he had been struggling with living difficulties after ending his idol activities with ZE:A. Later, he worked at a meat restaurant and was promoted to Manager. ZE:A members such as Park Hyung-sik, Im Si-wan and Hwang Kwang-hee have also supported him.   :heart2:

source : https://news.nate.com/view/20240217n06844?mid=n1008

Netflix co-CEO expresses excitement for return of popular Korean series this year

20240216050490_0.jpg

Ted Sarandos, the co-chief executive officer of Netflix, said on Friday he is excited about the return of several popular Netflix originals this year.

"We're very excited about the return of 'Physical: 100' and 'Sweet Home,' and of course, 'Squid Game' this year," Sarandos said during a brief meeting with reporters at Netflix headquarters in Jongno-gu, Seoul, Friday.

Sarandos is on a two-day visit to the country, which marks his second visit since June 2023.

He added that he is especially excited to be visiting the set of "Squid Game Season 2" during this visit and experience first-hand the setting and the storyline director Hwang Dong-hyuk, who also directed the first season, will be presenting in the new season.

During his visit, Sarandos is reportedly scheduled to tour the production site of Netflix's Korean original series and visit the Korean office of Scanline VFX, a global visual effects and animation company acquired by Netflix in 2021.

It has not been disclosed yet whether Sarandos would meet with Korean government officials or content creators during the visit.

In June 2023, Sarandos met with Prime Minister Han Duck-soo to discuss methods to invigorate the online streaming service market, as well as cooperation strategies for the Korea and US media and content industries.

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20240216050471

Top 17 MBC Dramas With The Highest Ratings Since 2020 (2024 Update)

Throughout the world of K-Dramas, various broadcasting stations bring numerous series to the home of fans all across the globe. One of these stations is the illustrious MBC. MBC is one of the most popular broadcasting channels, with its K-Dramas consistently placing in the best ratings list. The channel continues to deliver high-quality productions appealing to fans in South Korea and abroad. As such, MBC drama ratings rise to the very top, with many reaching record highs.

7. "Tracer" - 9.0%

Top 17 MBC Dramas With The Highest Ratings Since 2020 (2024 Update)

This MBC drama depicted the hard working performance of the National Tax Service. Featuring a cast with Yim SiWan, Go AhSung, Son HyunJoo, and much more, "Tracer" reached its highest rating at 9.0%, earning it the fifth spot among MBC dramas so far. "Tracer" is available on Rakuten Viki, Kocowa, and Wavve.

source : https://www.kpopmap.com/top-15-mbc-dramas-with-highest-ratings-since-2020/

Netflix CEO says 'Squid Game' season two will 'blow your mind'

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos, left, at the filming site for the second season of ″Squid Game″ [NETFLIX]

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos, left, at the filming site for the second season of ″Squid Game″ [NETFLIX]

The upcoming season of 2021 hit "Squid Game" will "blow your mind," Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos said after visiting the new installment's set during his two-day visit to Korea last week.

Sarandos praised Korean media content and the storytellers and the developers behind it, in a column uploaded on Netflix's official website on Monday.

"I was thrilled by the scale of the sets," he said. "Director Hwang’s vision is such a powerful example of how Korean — and non-English titles — can be locally authentic while finding new international audiences on Netflix."

During his trip, Sarandos visited the Seoul offices of Eyeline Studios and Scanline VFX and met with director Hwang Dong-hyuk and lead actor Lee Jung-jae, along with President Yoon Suk Yeol.

He also mentioned his lunch meeting with President Yoon along with “Squid Game” actor Lee in the column. During the meeting, Sarandos and President Yoon reportedly talked about Netflix's $2.5 billion investment into Korean content, which was announced last year.

"It was also my honor to meet President Yoon, together with Squid Game star Lee Jung-jae, to reaffirm our commitment to the industry and to the next generation of Korean creatives," he said. "We are investing significantly in Korea, and believe that working with best-in-class local industry partners is only the beginning."

"Between 2022 and 2025, one in five Netflix titles in Korea will come from a first-time writer or director," he said.

"Last year, that included the creators behind 'Unlocked,' 'Doona!,' 'Siren: Survive the Island' and 'Black Knight.' This year, we’re providing a global stage for the first-time filmmakers behind 'The Bequeathed,' 'Bandland Hunters,' 'My Name is Loh Kiwan' and 'The Frog.'"

Sandaros made his second official visit to Korea on Friday, eight months since his first visit in June last year. He also dispelled rumors about “Squid Game” getting a U.S. remake in a press gathering.

BY KIM JU-YEON [kim.juyeon2@joongang.co.kr]

credit : JoongAngDaily

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2024-02-19/entertainment/television/Netflix-CEO-says-Squid-Game-season-two-will-blow-your-mind/1984199

*** I love all his dramas.   :Fist1:

5 K-Dramas To Binge-Watch If You're Missing Talented Icon Yim SiWan

Across the Korean film industry there are a countless number of incredible actors who grace our screens daily. From tried and true veterans to fresh-faced rookies, there's no drought of amazing talent across every genre. While they all deserve some time in the spotlight, we become naturally drawn to some actors more than others.

One mesmerizing actor that always seems to be on our mind is the spectacular Yim SiWan. Prior to making his mark as an actor he was gracing music stages as an idol. While he hasn't forgotten his roots, he has successfully solidified his position as a top tier actor that people cannot help but love. While he recently starred in web drama, "Boyhood", it has been some time since we've seen Yim SiWan in a full-length K-Drama. And despite being set to appear in the highly anticipated "Squid Game 2", its release date has yet to be announced.

So with this in mind, here's some K-Dramas featuring Yim SiWan to watch in the meantime. Take a look down below!

1. "Triangle"

MBC

Additional Cast: Lee BumSoo, Kim JaeJoong, Baek JinHee, and others

Summary: A story about three brothers who lost their parents and grew up separately, unaware of each other's existence. After being apart for 20 years and unable to recognize one another, their lives become tragically intertwined as they become each other's adversaries.

Reasons To Watch: Before getting into some of his more recent works, it's probably best to revisit Yim SiWan's past. The riveting action doesn't let up and keeps you on your toes from the very first episode. While you may have started this drama for Yim SiWan, the rest of the cast will put on an impressive performance and draw you into the rest of the story. The three brother's situation is bittersweet, at times saddening, and a whole lot of fun to watch.

2. "Summer Strike"

ENA-Summer-Strike.jpg

ENA

Additional Cast: SeolHyun, Shin EunSoo, a.mond, and others

Summary: After a string of unfortunate events, Lee YeoReum decides to leave her job and live a completely different life. After moving to a seaside village named Angok, she meets quiet librarian Ahn DaeBeom. Both help each other to heal from their past traumas.

Reasons To Watch: If "Triangle" were to be likened to a rollercoaster ride of roaring suspense, "Summer Strike" is a more like a relaxing trip on a Ferris Wheel. While there's conflict, it is mainly a drama of much needed healing and grace. It's a safe place where you can find refuge from all of life's worries and hardships. Yim SiWan's character will provide the peace needed to move forward and revel in something new.

3. "The King In Love"

MBC-The-King-In-Love.jpg

MBC

Additional Cast: Girls' Generation's YoonA, Hong JongHyun, and more

Summary: Crown prince Wang Won has handsome visuals but holds a desire to conquer other lands. He is best friends with Wang Rin who acts as his bodyguard. Together they befriend Eun San, but tragedy strikes as both men begin to fall in love with her.

Reasons To Watch: K-Dramas are built upon tragedies and what better one to dive into than the classic trope of a love triangle. While things start off as innocent friendship, these amicable feelings eventually start to dissolve as both Wang Won (Yim SiWan) and Wang Rin (Hong JongHyun) realize they're in love with the same person. Seeing two best friends' bond suddenly dissipate is heartbreaking to say the least and will have you at the edge of your seat, curious to see how their story ends.

4. "Hell Is Other People"

Spoiler

OCN-Hell-Is-Other-People.jpg

Additional Cast: Lee DongWook, Lee JungEun, Ahn EunJin, and more

Summary: Yoon JongWoo arrives in Seoul from the countryside and he is staying in a goshiwon. There he goes through many strange happenings, encountering the various individuals who also live there.

Reasons To Watch: "Hell Is Other People" is a K-Drama that will make your skin crawl while continuing to keep you interested until the very end. It is a certified thriller that masterfully immerses viewers, and with Yim SiWan's stellar acting, the drama can easily be binged within one day. However, he isn't the only highlight as the rest of the cast showcases a deep understanding of their characters, making "Hell Is Other People" an absolute must watch.

5. "Misaeng"

tvN

Additional Cast: Lee SungMin, Kang SoRa, Kang HaNeul, Kim DaeMyung, Byun YoHan, and others

Summary: Follows the story of Jang GeuRae, a former professional Go prodigy. After failing as a professional player, he decides to make a career change and takes on a typical office job, despite only knowing Go all his life. Together with his fellow interns and direct superiors, Jang GeuRae learns the ins and outs of office life.

Reasons To Watch: "Misaeng" is an iconic drama that convinced many of Yim SiWan's acting prowess. Although it tackles the ordinary struggles of everyday office workers, the drama was made with such tender authenticity that it became difficult to wait for every new episode. "Misaeng" is much more than an office drama. It tackles human nature, the need to succeed, and the entire process of picking yourself back up after experiencing crushing failure.

While Yim SiWan might draw you in, there's a million more reasons why this should be on your watchlist.

Yim SiWan's repertoire is much bigger than this, but here are just a few dramas to watch while waiting for the actor's next work.

source : https://www.kpopmap.com/5-kdramas-to-binge-watch-if-youre-missing-talented-icon-yim-siwan/

*** I've watched his latest movie "Road to Boston".  This film deeply ignites national consciousness among all South Koreans – arousing their pride in being Korean. The appearance of the dog during the race conveys a message that after a fall we must stand up again and adjust our pace, we must be strong and will have this never-give-up attitude, and that we must seize every small opportunity. The scene in where Suh Yun-Bok here tries to get back up is quite tear-jerking. Just as Son Kee-Jung said, (Ha Jung Woo) there is always another way to solve problems. Only by giving up truly means having nothing at all. Personally, I find Nam Seung-Ryong (Bae Seong Woo) to be an important character as well. He was the one who initially encouraged Son Kee-Jung not to give up his marathon career. Whenever there were conflicts or disagreements between Son Kee-Jung and Suh Yun-Bok, Nam Seung-Ryong acted as a mediator and brought a cheerful atmosphere. Watching “Road to Boston,” I truly understand that marathons are not about who starts off fast but who can remain composed throughout. This movie made me admire the bravery and unity displayed by South Koreans back then. I guess we couldn’t find any other actor who would fit the role “Suh Yun Bok” other than Im Si Wan. When I heard about the film, I got really excited when I saw his name because I know that it’s gonna be a good one and it didn’t disappoint.  :Twerkdatbutt:

*** The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for actors!

The rankings were determined through a data analysis of the media coverage, participation, interaction, and community indexes of 100 actors who appeared in dramas, movies, or OTT content released between January 27 and February 27.    :kisslevel:

Check out the top 30 for this month below!

1. Ma Dong Seok
  2. Choi Min Sik
  3. Son Suk Ku
  4. Honey Lee
  5. Lee Yi Kyung
  6. Song Kang
  7. Song Ha Yoon
  8. Na In Woo
  9. Park Min Young
  10. Shin Hye Sun
  11. Go Yoon Jung
  12. Park Hyung Sik
  13. Shin Se Kyung
  14. Kim Hye Joon
  15. Ji Chang Wook
  16. Gong Yoo
  17. Ahn Bo Hyun
  18. Jo Jung Suk
  19. Choi Woo Shik
  20. Chae Jong Hyeop
  21. Kim Yoo Jung
  22. Na Moon Hee
  23. Esom
  24. Kim Go Eun
  25. Im Siwan
  26. Park Shin Hye
  27. Jung Woo Sung
  28. Ahn Jae Hong
  29. Lee Jong Won
  30. Gong Myung

110803_236886_5936.jpg

110803_236887_5946.jpg

source : https://www.gpkorea.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=110803

*** In the first episode of Coupang Play’s comedy show "SNL Korea," Im Si-wan showed his best sense of comedy as a host. Im Si-wan acts as perverted psychopath with dialect in Season 5, which was released on March 2. He was extraordinary from the opening of the first episode. Im Si-wan, who generously poured out comedy instincts while covering his representative characters, said, “It was an honor for me, who was acting mainly in front of the camera, to be able to collaborate and act with others in front of the audience. Thanks to you, I was able to get a lot of energy and I did my best to give you a cool smile." Season 5 of “SNL Korea” will be available every Saturday at 8 p.m. (KST) on Coupang Play.   :heart3:

Source: Newsen

*** Recently, ZE:A's member Kim Dong Jun had an interview with the press to discuss his recently-ended series "Korea-Khitan War." Here, he shared his feelings about the members of ZE:A being family to him. During the interview, Kim Dong Jun revealed the messages of support he received from Im Siwan and Park Hyung Sik during the filming of the series. Kim Dong Jun said, "Siwan hyung and I frequently chat on the phone. While I was busy filming the series, he called me to tell me, 'I love the way you are portraying yourself. And it seems like you've made a great decision to join 'Korea-Khitan War.' Filming for 'Korea-Khitan War' dragged on for ages, so I told him we should catch up after I finish shooting. The funny thing is, that was last year! But his call really boosted my spirits." Following that, Kim Dong Jun told what the members of ZE:A mean to him. Kim Dong Jun stated, "They are friends like no other in the world. They've been with me from my teens to my thirties. We don't get to see each other as often as we would like to because when one finishes a project, another one starts. But nothing gives me a greater strength than support from those people that are closest to me. Since I've known them for such a long time, I know how they feel just by looking at them on TV. If, just say, there is a moment of silence for 3 seconds when we talk on the phone, I can roughly feel their emotions in those three seconds. It's honestly so fascinating and fun to watch each other act. They're like family to me."   :kitty:

source : SBS Star

10 Of K-Drama’s Most Handsome Actors, Voted By Avid Viewers

Do you agree with the list?

Many fantastic K-Dramas are released month after month, with many actors and actresses earning some well-deserved popularity from the roles they played in them. K-drama fans had the opportunity to vote for who they believe are the most handsome Korean actors from K-dramas, past and present! With hundreds of thousands of votes cast, here are the top 10 choices by these fans.

10. Im Si Wan

Im Si Wan’s acting career began in 2010 at the age of 22, and some of his most well-known K-Dramas include Moon Embracing The Sun (2012), Man from the Equator (2012), and Misaeng (2014). He received 14,062 votes in the poll!

source : https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/10-k-drama-handsome-actors-voted-avid-viewers/

Im Siwan And Park Gyu Young Reported To Star In

Im Siwan And Park Gyu Young Reported To Star In "Kill Boksoon" Spin-Off + Agencies Comment

“Squid Game 2” co-stars Im Siwan and Park Gyu Young may star in a new action film together!

On March 29, a media outlet reported that actors Im Siwan and Park Gyu Young will star in the new Netflix film “Mantis” (literal title).

“Mantis” is known as a spin-off film of “Kill Boksoon,” an action film about the hitman industry’s legendary killer Gil Bok Soon (Jeon Do Yeon). Mantis is the stage name of the legendary killer who appeared in “Kill Boksoon” through the dialogue between characters Cha Min Kyu (Sol Kyung Gu) and Cha Min Hee (Esom).

In response to the report, a representative of Netflix shared, “‘Mantis’ is one of several projects we are reviewing in the process of finding a good project. Nothing has been decided yet.”

Im Siwan’s agency PLUM A&C also revealed their cautious stance, stating, “We are still in the stage of reviewing,” while Park Gyu Young’s agency Saram Entertainment shared, “Nothing has been decided.”

Both Im Siwan and Park Gyu Young are confirmed to star in Season 2 of Netflix’s hit series “Squid Game.” If Im Siwan and Park Gyu Young accept their casting offers, the two will be working on a new project together once again following “Squid Game 2.”

Stay tuned for more updates!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1651936wpp/im-siwan-and-park-gyu-young-reported-to-star-in-kill-boksoon-spin-off-agencies-comment