Im Si Wan 임시완

sky5joyous

10 upcoming K-dramas that you just can’t miss: Goryeo Khitan War, Once Upon a Boyhood, Sweet Home 2 and more

As the year concludes, K-drama enthusiasts can anticipate an array of new series on the horizon. So, keep your eyes glued for these new dramas that are ready to take you on an unforgettable journeys.

As we near the conclusion of the year, the world of K-dramas is buzzing with anticipation as several new and exciting TV shows are about to make their debut. Here's a compilation of these exciting upcoming K-dramas that you will not want to miss.

10 must-watch upcoming K-dramas you can't afford to miss

3. Once Upon a Boyhood

Starring an ensemble including Im Siwan, Lee Sun Bin, Lee Si Woo, Kang Hye Won, and more, the K-drama by Coupang Play is scheduled to make its debut on November 24. Once Upon a Boyhood unfolds within the setting of Buyeo Agricultural High School in Chungcheong Province during the 1980s and narrates the journey of Jang Byung Tae (portrayed by Im Siwan), a high school student who initially keeps to himself and aims to avoid confrontations but unexpectedly rises to become the most influential figure among his peers.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzVU0qcphT9/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=858e5d27-79da-4177-959d-f147369263c9

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/10-upcoming-k-dramas-that-you-simply-cant-miss-vigilante-sweet-home-2-gyeongseong-creature-and-more-1257032

5 Life Lessons K-Dramas Have Taught Us

Korean dramas, also known as K-dramas, offer viewers more than just significant entertainment value, with their swoon-worthy romances and the magnetic chemistry between actors. They also impart important life lessons through compelling and often relatable narratives. Here are five such valuable teachings that have resonated with audiences. 

While K-dramas indeed provide abundant enjoyment and amusement, they also leave us with impactful life lessons to ponder upon and implement. In the end, the blend of entertainment and education is what makes Korean dramas truly distinctive and universally loved.

5. Embrace positive change: The K-drama "Summer Strike" provides a healthy dose of inspiration to those trapped in a toxic work environment. Tired of being disrespected at work, the lead character Yeoreum musters up the courage to quit her job and live life on her own terms. This decision leads to immense personal growth, emphasizing the importance of taking brave steps for self-improvement.

source : https://www.allkpop.com/article/2023/11/5-life-lessons-k-dramas-have-taught-us

• Like 1

Im Siwan, Lee Sun Bin, Lee Si Woo, And Kang Hye Won Transform Into Country Students Of The 80s In “Boyhood” Posters

Im Siwan, Lee Sun Bin, Lee Si Woo, And Kang Hye Won Transform Into Country Students Of The 80s In “Boyhood” Posters

Coupang Play’s upcoming drama “Boyhood” has unveiled new character posters!

Set in the backdrop of Buyeo Agricultural High School in Chungcheong Province in the 1980s, “Boyhood” follows the story of high school student Byung Tae, a loner whose only goal is to not get beat up but who becomes the most powerful kid overnight. The drama stars Im Siwan, Lee Sun Bin, Lee Si Woo, and Kang Hye Won, and director Lee Myung Woo who helmed the dramas “The Fiery Priest” and “Backstreet Rookie” is in charge of production.

Im Siwan takes on the role of Jang Byung Tae, a small and weak boy living in Onyang of South Chungcheong Province. Upon transferring to the neighboring Buyeo Agricultural High School, Jang Byung Tae suddenly becomes known as the school’s most powerful kid overnight. Jang Byung Tae’s poster captures the essence of his character with a hint of silliness in his eyes and a resolute expression as he delivers an elbow punch. The caption on his poster reads, “My dream is very simple… to live without getting beaten up,” raising curiosity about how such a character could be mistaken for the school’s most formidable figure.

Boyhood-Im-Siwan.jpeg

Lee Sun Bin takes on the role of Park Ji Young, also known as “Buyeo’s Black Spider,” a fearless advocate for justice who doesn’t hesitate to use her fists. Park Ji Young’s poster captures her fierce gaze and her charismatic presence as the hidden boss of the Buyeo neighborhood. The caption on her poster conveys her unyielding nature, “Don’t mess around unless you want to die in my hand.”

Spoiler

Boyhood-Lee-Sun-Bin.jpeg

Rising star Lee Si Woo portrays the legendary fighter “Asan’s White Tiger” Jung Kyung Tae. In his poster, Jung Kyung Tae exudes confidence as he grips a pickaxe and his enigmatic smile hints at the power he holds. The poster caption, “I only feel at ease when I put the world under my feet,” foreshadows the conflict between him and Jung Byung Tae.

Spoiler

Boyhood-Lee-Si-Woo.jpeg

Finally, Kang Hye Won shines as the neighborhood’s queen bee Kang Sun Hwa, who has captured the hearts of all the male students. Her poster reads, “I want to meet someone who cherishes me,” piquing curiosity about who will win Sun Hwa’s heart.

Spoiler

Boyhood-Kang-Hye-Won.jpeg

“Boyhood” is set to premiere on November 24 and will air every Friday at 8 p.m. KST. Stay tuned!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1625383wpp/im-siwan-lee-sun-bin-lee-si-woo-and-kang-hye-won-transform-into-country-students-of-the-80s-in-boyhood-posters

On 11/9/2023 at 9:51 AM, backstreetboysfan said:

Coupang Play drama Boyhood character posters, release on Nov 24.

@backstreetboysfan  thanks for sharing this. Every poster includes the characters' titles and a line to describe their characters. In Im Siwan it says, Im Si Wan plays a high school boy whose dream is very simple; not to get beaten up and live peacefully. Can't wait for this drama.  :kaching1:

• Blob 1

*** "Road To Boston" has surpassed 1 million moviegoers in 42 days since its release. On November 8, around 10 AM KST, the Korean Film Council shared this impressive record by mentioning that the movie had recorded a total of 1,002,714 moviegoers. It is being recorded as the highest-rating commercial film currently being played in the theaters. The reviews from the audience were positive and many were able to connect with Im Siwan's character.   :heart1:

900478691_im-siwan-2.jpg

1 hour ago, willenette said:

@backstreetboysfan  thanks for sharing this. Every poster includes the characters' titles and a line to describe their characters. In Im Siwan it says, Im Si Wan plays a high school boy whose dream is very simple; not to get beaten up and live peacefully. Can't wait for this drama.  

Your welcome @willenette, it does look good.

*** There's a comic relief existing in the first teaser for "Boyhood". I’m definitely looking forward to its release. It looks like a wild ride for "Byung-tae" who must manage his fluffy bowl cut hair - hahaha. It's good that he has this epitome of boyish charm, so, it's believable of him to be playing a high schooler in the drama. I'm excited and curious to see Im Si Wan in a comedy. I will try to see if it tickles my funny bone or not. The trailer's good.   :Twerkdatbutt:

7 hours ago, backstreetboysfan said:

Coupang Play drama Boyhood 2nd teaser posters, release on Nov 24.

Coupang Play drama Boyhood 2nd trailer, release on Nov 24.

@backstreetboysfan  thanks for sharing this. TODAY, November 20th, the press conference for Coupang Play’s drama “Boyhood” was held at The Great Hall of Chosun Palace in Gangnam-gu, Seoul. The cast attended the event. During the presscon, Siwan was explaining his character as "Byeong-tae", “His real name is Jung Byeong-tae. After transferring to another school, he is misunderstood as Jung Gyeong-tae, known as a fighting legend by the whole nation, because their names sound similar. He has endured a lot when he was the weakest. Viewers can wait and see whether he will be able to turn that into fighting skills. Since I have to go back and forth between two extreme situations, being a ‘the weakest’ and being ‘the strongest’, I thought a lot about how to make the gap clear. I wondered which aspect to preserve as my true nature because I believe that I should keep some part of me. Also, I tried to highlight the differences and show the gap between the two characteristics clearly through outfits”.  When asked whether it was more comfortable to act as “the weakest in Onyang High School” or “the strongest in Buyeo High School”, Im Si-wan said, “I felt more comfortable being Byeong-tae before becoming the strongest in Buyeo. I felt like it was the real me. Byeong-tae pretends to be normal but his appearance clearly shows that he’s the weakest",  drawing laughter.  “Boyhood” airs every Friday at 8 p.m., starting with episodes 1 and 2 on November 24th.   :yaaa:

20231120113504163ikzc.jpg

source : https://v.daum.net/v/20231120113502139

Im Si-wan takes on comedic role in Coupang Play series 'Boyhood'

7a88b98b-a172-47cc-ae04-78ccff878ea4.jpg

By Lee Gyu-lee

Singer and actor Im Si-wan is taking a stab at comedy with Coupang Play’s new original series, “Boyhood.”

The new teen comedy series, set to premiere on Friday, revolves around a high school student, Jang Byeong-tae (Im), living in South Chungcheong Province in 1989, a year after the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul. He is bullied at school and tries hard to get through the day without getting beaten up.

One day, his father gets caught running an illegal dance studio, forcing Jang to transfer to a different school in a nearby city in the same province. At his new school, he goes from zero to hero when he gets mistaken for the best fighter in the city and meets a new life.

The 10-part series is led by Lee Myoung-woo, whose previous works include the hit comedy series, “The Fiery Priest” (2020), and the thriller series, “One Ordinary Day” (2021).

“With the script like ‘Boyhood’ making me smile, there was no reason for me to turn it down,” Im said during a press conference for the series, at Josun Palace in Gangnam District, Seoul, Monday.

“This character is the most unintelligent one out of all the characters I’ve played so far. It came as a new and meaningful challenge to me,” he added.

87cdcd76-408a-4589-9286-71504124f885.jpg

A scene from the series, "Boyhood" / Courtesy of Coupang Play

Im’s character goes through a drastic transition from a nerd to the most feared but popular kid in school. The actor shared that he focused on making a distinctive difference in style.

“With the character turning into a ‘fake’ fighter from a nerd, they had to show contrasting vibe and personality. So I mainly focused on putting that clear gap between them,” he said.

“To do so, I felt outfits would work well in showing that drastic difference, so I put a lot of thought into it … Jang takes punches very well after experiencing a lot of fights. This is his only asset.

You’ll have to watch the series to find out whether this will make up for his weakness.”

The director praised Im for his efforts to create and immerse himself into the character.

“What impressed me about Im was that he put his whole heart into letting go of everything he had built to get into his character for this series,” he said. “Normally, actors bring in a few outfits they selected after fittings, but the ones Im chose were exactly what Jang would wear.”

Lee added that this drama will be enjoyable, while stirring the imagination of viewers.

“I used to daydream a lot when I was young, and as an adult, my childhood friends and I would recall our school days and talk about how we never got beaten up, which isn't true. Dramatic changes like the one you see in this series never happens in real life, but this is a piece that will make viewers imagine 'what if,'” he said.

“During the post-production, I put myself in the shoes of the audience as I watched the series. In that aspect, this series is unique. And I hope viewers will agree. It's the kind of show where you can sit comfortably on a couch and enjoy a bowl of delicious popcorn.”

credit : Korea Times

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2023/11/688_363581.html

*** On Nov 20th, the press conference for Coupang Play’s original series “Boyhood” took place at Josun Palace Hotel in Gangnam-gu, Seoul. The Director and actors attended the event and shared various stories. During the presscon, the director acknowledged the opinion that “Boyhood” is similar in theme to the film “Hot Young Bloods” and said, “I remember watching the movie ‘Hot Young Bloods’ when it was released. There are common denominators in that both are set in Chungcheong Province and have a retro vibe. However, while making this drama series, we didn’t really think about differentiating it. The goal we aimed for was different. We focused on why it was set in Chungcheong Province. It’s true that there’s a common denominator in the historical background, but we tried to make it pleasant and fairy-tale, encompassing boys or girls living in the present, as well as older generations who lived in that era.“ “Boyhood” will be available every Friday at 8 PM on Coupang Play, starting with the release of episodes 1 and 2 on Nov 24th.   :cheers:

img_20231120134216_6ec43fd2.webp

source : https://www.wikitree.co.kr/articles/903403

*** During the "Boyhood" presscon recently, Im Si Wan revealed an unexpected yet unique connection he has with a famous Street Woman Fighter dancer and choreographer. It was revealed that he even learned dances that were popular in that era for his role. His dance teacher was Hyojin Choi, a dancer and choreographer from the first season of Street Woman Fighter. However, Hyojin Choi didn’t become his dance teacher just for this role—their dance class started before that. here, Im Si Wan shared how he crossed paths with Hyojin Choi and how it led to him getting dance lessons from her. He started learning dance as a personal interest. He was thankful that Hyojin Choi agreed to teach him even though she didn’t usually teach dance for scenes in K-Dramas.   :Fist1:

I got to know Hyojin Choi at a fan meeting last year. After that, I personally wanted to learn to dance. Whenever I had free time, I was working on learning the basics of dance.

— Im Si Wan

img_20231120134731_e5031a18.webp

duEw2ForlFoElu_rwMCw4CZ5iyGYHaLoK2-xk4Qa

source : https://www.wikitree.co.kr/articles/903402

*** MBC FM4U’s “Kim Shin Young’s Noon Song of Hope” broadcast on November 21st featured AKMU’s Lee Soo-hyun as a special DJ and guest  Lee Sun-bin. Im Si-wan surprised Lee Sun-bin with his sudden and unexpected call during a radio broadcast. He surprised all radio listeners when he talked in the Chungcheong-do dialect perfectly. Im Si-wan said he knew Lee Sun-bin went to the radio program alone to promote their new drama so he made a phone call during lunch in the middle of his filming schedule. Lee Sun-bin said, “\He did it so well”, showing admiration for Im Si-wan.   :happydance:

20231121145004430horq.jpg

source : https://v.daum.net/v/20231121145003439

*** On November 17, Kim Tae-heon, ZE:A's rapper gave an update on his life through one YouTube channel for the first time. He shared that he received heartwarming messages from the group's members following his recent financial difficulty. "They all sent me supportive messages. Park Hyung Sik messaged me, asking if I was alright. I told him that I was sorry for being a hyung who couldn't make him proud. His reply was, 'No, don't say that. You're the most awesome person in the world. Hwang Kwang Hee and Yim Siwan apparently cried while watching my interview. They told me that their hearts broke seeing me go through a hard time. Hwang Kwang Hee called me and said, 'I could tell that you worried about burdening us in any way by doing the interview, but I want to tell you that none of us felt that way. We're happy that you're doing well. And I personally want to thank you for staying positive. I got invited to Yim Siwan's movie in September as well. As it had been ages since the last time I stood in front of a bunch of cameras like that, it felt very awkward." Kim Tae-heon informed everyone that he is doing better these days.  :kaching1:

source : SBS Star

*** I'm excited for "Squid Game 2". But, so far, I know a little about this upcoming drama because not much is known about the plot for Squid Game season 2, so I'm just basing what I have read on where season 1 left off. As of writing, there hasn't been an announcement on the release date set for "Squid Game season 2." The first table read took place in June, and Netflix confirmed that production has been ongoing since July, which they expect to last at least ten months. so it's likely that we'll have to wait until the end of 2024 (at the earliest!) to watch more of the *thrilling* show.   :emmm: