[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

September 4, 2015

After 11-year break, actress still shines

Source: The Korea Times

450-b.jpg
Lee Young-ae from script-reading rehearsal for "Saimdang, the Herstory" 
/ Courtesy of Group 8

Actress Lee Young-ae proved she still has the edge at a script-reading rehearsal for a TV series, her first in 11 years.

Lee, 44, rehearsed for SBS's historical series, "Saimdang, the Herstory," scheduled to air next year.

The series depicts historical figure Sin Saimdang (1504~1551), a painter from the Joseon Dynasty (1392~1910) who is better known as the mother of Confucian scholar Lee Yul-gok (1536~1584).

Untitled-2-450(41).jpg 

Lee Young-ae, left, from MBC's "Jewel in the Palace" / Courtesy of Naver blog

In the rehearsal at SBS broadcasting company in Goyang, Gyeonggi Province, on Aug. 4, Lee surprised and impressed co-stars, writers and producers with her persuasive and intelligent reading of the script, according to media reports.

The series previously made headlines when it was sold to six Asian nations even before it was made, thanks to Lee and her co-star Song Seung-heon, a hallyu actor who is popular in China.

Since debuting in a TV commercial in 1990, Lee has appeared in many TV series and movies. One of her biggest hit TV series was "Daejanggeum" or "Jewel in the Palace" (2003~2004), which is considered to have ignited the hallyu boom across the world.

aoshima11@ktimes.com,

Published on September 2, 2015 by K STAR 한류스타 리포트 & 생방송 스타뉴스

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

@valsava, there is a beautiful background to Shim Saimdang that @MaknaeC posted on page 1.

Everyone, (including lurkers) - lets make sure the drama is subbed

Viki has a potential page

https://www.viki.com/tv/25434c-saimdang-the-herstory

Please click to "follow" the page and also submit title request form for;  Saimdang, the Herstory - 신사임당

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

Minor correction to the story on p. 2 of the thread about Oh Yoon-ah. It says she's never done a sageuk. The first drama I ever saw her in was the sageuk "Kingdom of the Winds' with Song Il-gook. I didn't care much for the role but I thought she was interesting looking. Next time I saw her was in  "Incarnation of Money," where she was just fabulous as the lovelorn villainess. She should make a good contrast with Lee Young-ae in this one.

A clip on Shim Saimdang

@gerrytan8063  Thanks for the brief clip on Shim Saimdang I enjoyed the cinematography  

Gangneung is a great place to visit...it is about 3 hours bus ride (bus is better than train) from Seoul & great for historical sites & its seafood (Jumunjin Seafood Market). I did a day trip but from Daeemyung Vivaldi Ski Park, Hongcheon-gun, Gangwon-do

Minor correction to the story on p. 2 of the thread about Oh Yoon-ah. It says she's never done a sageuk. The first drama I ever saw her in was the sageuk "Kingdom of the Winds' with Song Il-gook. I didn't care much for the role but I thought she was interesting looking. Next time I saw her was in  "Incarnation of Money," where she was just fabulous as the lovelorn villainess. She should make a good contrast with Lee Young-ae in this one.

@turan_dot, Good catch... I am actually watching Kingdom of the Wind now.. (very slowly)

@gerrytan8063,  Thank you so much for that interesting clip. This is the first time I hear about women in ancient Korea not going to their new husband's home, but staying in their birth home.  I wonder when that tradition was reversed?

I am also surprised to hear about more "equal" treatment of women in Joseon period.

@valsava AsianWiki only states first half of 2016. Since the drama is pre-produced - that makes sense

“SAIMDANG, THE HERSTORY” FIRST SCRIPT READING

01-690x460.jpg

01_zpstpsultfs.jpg~original

03_zpsr0fbwsns.jpg~original

Read more on Couch Kimchi

@irilight

"This is the first time I hear about women in ancient Korea not going to their new husband's home, but staying in their birth home.  I wonder when that tradition was reversed?"

You can see this "arrangement" in the Jbtc drama "Maids", the Groom goes to live in the bride maiden family house (during the reign of Taejong)

Initially ancient Korea had a non patrilineal family structure, a custom that goes back 1,000 years. There was little discrimination between sons & daughters. It is said that Shim Saimdang (신사임당,申師任堂1504-1551) household was a son-less household, she had 4 younger sisters & no sibling brother & she also had a very understanding husband Commander  Yi Wonsu (이원수,李元秀,1501-1561) who was away a lot with his officialdom rank & had render his consent, Shim Saimdang was allowed to stay in her maiden family to look after the elders in her maiden household

In Korea, a son in law or a daughter's son could hold ancestral rites to those who died without a male off springs. Even though Neo Confucianism was firmly taking root in Joseon society but a custom with a history more than 1,000 years couldn't be change overnight, most in the Joseon society somewhat conform to this custom with lesser/dilute degree but still adhere

@gerrytan8063   Thank you for answering me. I actually did  watch Maids. But they did make it sound out of the ordinary that the groom went to the bride's house, and I thought his mom sort of kept it as a "weapon" against the in-laws.

Thank you again for your illuminations!    Another reason for me to love Korean customs...!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really looking forward to this drama and really excited. Something to look forward to next year. And it's amazing that this early, several countries have already acquired syndication albeit it's still on pre-production stage when it's unsure if the outcome would be good at the very least. This is a strong testament to LYA's global popularity and appeal. The mere mention of her name as the title roler is enough to generate this much worldwide stir. I hope they would live up with the hype.

SSH as a leading man may not exactly be critically acclaimed when it comes to his thespic skills but I would rather have a good-looking guy to play the lead in a segeuk about a woman to be played by a beautiful actress like LYA than endure a not-so-good-looking actor who could act but so unpleasant to look at. LYA had that kind of leading man in Fireworks and it's almost unendurable and unbearable to watch.

Daejanggeum, I guess, was such a huge hit mainly because Ji Jin-hee as Captain MH is so good-looking that a dedicated, focused, and single-minded Janggeum would not be able to not notice and eventually falls in love with. But of course, we could argue that it's not really Captain MH's looks she falls in love with but his character's undying devotion to her.

Anyhow, SSH is fine with me. The acting department could very well be handled by LYA and other reliable veteran actors/actresses in the cast.:)

And i predict a sizzling chemistry between SSH and LYA. :)

@gerrytan8063   Thank you for answering me. I actually did  watch Maids. But they did make it sound out of the ordinary that the groom went to the bride's house, and I thought his mom sort of kept it as a "weapon" against the in-laws.

Thank you again for your illuminations!    Another reason for me to love Korean customs...!

I watched Maids. I guess, the groom staying with the bride's family was a special request/condition by the bride's family which the groom's family granted owing to the influential status of the groom's father being the Defense Minister. 

• 2 weeks later...

Song Seung-heon in filming 'Saimdang, the Herstory'

photo646295.png

Song Seung-heon posted a photo of himself without any caption on his personal Instagram as well as on Weibo on October 23rd.

In the revealed photo, Song Seung-heon dressed in traditional costume is riding a horse. It seems he is enjoying the ambient fall scenery on the back of a horse.

The image is a still cut from his new drama, 'Saimdang, the Herstory', which will be broadcast on SBS in 2016.

The highly anticipated SBS drama, 'Saimdang, the Herstory' is also actress Lee Young-ae's comeback drama in 10 years.

Meanwhile, Song Seung-heon is in relationship with Chinese goddess actress Liu Yifei.

source

Song Il Gook Presents Lee Young Ae With Trophy at Korea Historical Fiction Star Awards

Song Il Gook Presents Lee Young Ae With Trophy at Korea Historical Fiction Star Awards

On October 24, the Korea Historical Fiction Star Awards were held in Yongin, Gyeonggi Province. At the ceremony, veteran actor Song Il Gookpresented Lee Young Ae with an award for her role in Korean period dramas.

While Song Il Gook is also known for his work in historical fiction dramas, the star of the night was Lee Young Ae. Song Il Gook presented her with a trophy for her achievements, to which she responded, “Min Sok Chon [a Korean folk village] gets a lot of love from overseas, as well as domestically. I’m very happy that so many people came out tonight.”

She added, “Right now I’m currently filming for the drama ‘Shin Saimdang: The Herstory’ here. I will work harder in the future for the people who came out and selected me for this award. This is my first drama since ‘Jewel in the Palace,‘ and I’m greeting you all once again with a historical fiction drama.”

The drama itself is about Shin Saimdang, an artist and writer and mother of Confucian scholar Yulgok (you’ll probably know her as the woman on the 50,000 won bank note), and deals with topics such as who makes for a good wife and mother.

The awards took place as part of a special Period Drama Festival in Min Sok Chon, honoring stars for promoting the Korean wave through historical fiction.

source

s19.jpg

'Saimdang' releases breathtaking stills of Lee Young Ae and Song Seung Heon

tvdaily - Nate: Saimdang's Production crew "We're putting our trust on Lee Young Ae and Song Seung Heon"

1. [+207, -7] The photos look like paintings

2. [+197, -9] What kind of scholar is that handsome and sexy?ㅋㅋㅋ Too unrealistic ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+176, -5] Lee Young Ae-ssi is exquisite in hanbok. Beautiful is all I can say

4. [+16, -5] Song Seung Heon's off to ruin a perfect casting. His acting is as bad as Kang Min Kyung and he's worse than Jang Suwon (tn: Jang Suwon is known for his "robot acting")

Naver
5. [+8,419, -235] Lee Young Ae's guarantee is 140 million won per episode. That's a large sum but it's understable because the drama's airing in Korea and China at the same time. I hope it will be successful enough to call it the 2nd 'Jewel in the Palace'

6. [+7,076, -684] It would've been daebak if Song Seung Heon's role went to Kam Woo Sung 

7. [+5,870, -1,085] He's handsome but his acting is awful

8. [+3,545, -412] Song Seung Heon..? Song Seung Heon..?

9. [+2,909, -769] Korea's most beautiful man and woman

10. [+883, -117] Song Seung Heon's far better than Won Bin who leaves his filmography to parch and only does CFs

11. [+810, -55] I've never seen a woman who looks absolutely stunning in hanbok as much as Lee Young Ae. She wore it at Cannes Film Festival, at a Tokyo event, and for a photoshoot. She's proud of it as much as people thinks she looks gorgeous in it

12. [+785, -77] Wow Lee Young Ae's a goddess. Her beauty never fades. I'm jealous that she gets to age gracefully

13.  [+465, -8] Her pay per episode is 140 million won... Gasp

Credit : kkuljaem

Archived