[Drama 2014/2015] Healer 힐러

kanzcech

but do pray, the ones that really care so much about sharing the Healer DVD contents are found in the shipper thread. Please do inform them about these legal action knowledge that you've posted here. 

Thanks for the information, but since this directly involves "Healer" as a whole, I figured it would be best posted in its parent thread.  Folks can share the information as they see fit - I own no copyright on it.  Thank goodness.  :lol:

@cherkell dear ... thanks for providing us your perspective on this whole dvd brouhaha ... i would agree and abide by these restrictions however from the way i see it, it may not be a straightforward application of korean copyright laws as this may also be encroaching international laws and reconciling these may convoluted and tricky ...

Also in fairness to soompiers, i havent heard of any petition going around demanding kbs to rescind these restrictions ... any rumblings from tieba baidu? ... i have not heard of this either ... I would assume that this is what you referred to as the international community ... whilst people are upset about this directive, you may have also heard of people working around the situation ... but no petitions ... i just hope we stop making a generalization of this behavior because majority of soompiers are decent and understand plain english ... there may be a few perhaps but that is not the general sentiment i get ...

Delurking again to share my 2 cents ... i am part of that international community and i take offense for such comments specially if it sounds condescending ... more so that i perfectly understand and am supportive of kbs taking this direction and by all means intend to comply with these to the letter ... for certain most soompiers are also onboard however were caught offguard and not expecting these strict guidelines ... nonetheless i get the impression soompiers will comply to this directive ... lets chill, relax and enjoy the drama ... again ... this time in high definition :-)

That's why I wrote that the Berne Convention rules regarding international law versus Korean law override would not apply.  And no one here really wants to read my treatise on exactly why Berne doesn't apply against Korean copyright law in this situation, right?  ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz.....

When I write "international" = anyone not in Korea; "domestic" = anyone inside Korea.  There is nothing condescending in my writings; when dealing with legal issues like this, a wide-sweeping generalization has to be made.  (I could start pointing fingers and provide proof of certain groups making loud noises, but that would be rude and only start a flame war.).  Casual readers (other than Soompi Members) visit these threads as well and all I'm giving is a general overview of the situation.  Nothing more; nothing less.

Thank you but I can't agree on point 1. If copyrights law would be that easy you surely couldn't buy rip-off shirts with Disney figures in Korea for example. And Disney is a very big company compared to KBS.

People complaining doesn't mean they won't honor the rules. They complain to state their opinion. Korea may have a different way but when a company tells me how I have to talk about something I bought from them it is kind of censorship. I don't mean companies sueing bloggers for telling something they don't like, I mean KBS telling us in what phrases we have to talk. That surely is not acceptable for most of us who are living in free countries.

Korean copyright laws are one of the strictest in the world; you can thank the Hallyu Craze for those going into effect.  I agree that copyright violations are rampant all over the world, not just in Korea.  (If they were not, I'd be out of a job.)  But there are also people working behind the scenes to stop such items from reaching the free market; sweeps are constantly done but as you can see, items slip through the cracks.  (And that's why I'm overwhelmed with work these days.)

And yes, people can complain to state their opinion (and I'm glad they are), and yes, people will honour the rules (because inherently, people are good about that).  But it still doesn't change the fact that a demand was communicated by the team producing and distributing this media.  Remember what happened back in July 2014 when NHK put out a sweeping edict to not share any of the videos or written content from their interviews with the cast of "Empress Ki" prior to its airing in Japan last year.  So it's not only KBS; other broadcasters hold to the same edicts as well.  But this time around, the KBS communications were extremely detailed and so far-reaching that I'm still trying to make sense of them.

I'm also quite annoyed over the clampdown on media sharing -- I was hoping to do a nice little review of the box set for The Kitchen, but it looks like that will have to be shelved.  I was not involved with the 'making of' the DVD box set and plan on writing to the Healer Team to ask for clarification on the terms that KBS/KJHP have placed upon the box set, but if anyone from there is reading this, can you respond with some sort of explanation?  Why has KBS/KJHP put their "no talking about this or else" restrictions upon this box set release?  There must be some really good reason(s) why these rules were communicated in this way and in such detail... but by who and why?

Anyway.  I've said enough without drafting a dissertation.  All I did was provide the legal reasons why this happened in the way it happened.  Hopefully my shipment will arrive tomorrow and I CAN'T WAIT to dig into it.  Most likely quietly... in a sound-proof room... under the covers... with a flashlight... :lol:

• Like 7

Thanks @cherkell for dropping by and explained to us in such detail way over legal matters and copyright laws..

I still don't understand the copyright laws in Korea.. And while it's so annoying and disappointing for us, I agree that KBS/Kim Jong Hak productions have the "rights" over their contents.

Chingudeul here, please understand it's only KBS but other networks are also so stingy over their copyrighted media/production. For example in YT your video will get blocked immediately if it contains MBC/SBS/KBS logo and contents.

Last year NHK put stop to all contents and demand fans to delete video/pics/articles related to Empress Ki and cast interviews for NHK, even though the drama aired in MBC and NHK only buy the rights from MBC. To this date, most EK fans either have to put the videos/pics in weibo/baidu/DC illegally or know nothing at all. :tears::tears:

I just hope KBS will somehow permit us to take pics of DVD box set and discuss it casually.. it's not copyright violations right if we just discuss the content? Or they're so afraid people will pirate the DVD/Bluray? No worries, people in my country already sell the pirated version.. with much cheaper price

• Like 3

Good to hear that the DVDs already are out. Yesasia hopefully ships soon.

Now I wish I had chosen EMS instead of airmail even when that means at least 100 bucks more for shipping, double tax and extra fee (claimed by local postal service). I have to wait at least one month more. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 1

Omg!! Woke up to the most beautiful surprise!! :D  There it was. Beautifully packaged, my DVD. Innolife is awesome. I live in the U.S., and got mines already. Happy girl. 

P.S. I'm selling the DVD since I bought both, check it out on the Selling&Trading if you're interested or PM me! Thanks!

Edited by donnalauj
  • Like 6

It's not just KBS that has these strict restrictions and they aren't even new, it's just that in the past, they weren't communicated in English that clearly because they were mostly focusing on domestic customers. In the case of Healer, we (the Director's Cut Initiative Team - representatives of Korean customers who requested for the release on DVD/BD) saw what happened with Pinocchio when it was released and saw how their team was struggling communicating with international customers who were sharing rampantly on the interweb. So we tried our best to communicate first. I had meant to post the image with those rules here and on the HIFP blog, but I was busy with real life.

Back when the first teaser came out, they had posted it without English warnings about not reproducing or altering it because I was still asleep and couldn't translate for them, so while Korean fans were manually drawing screenshots (e.g., http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=healer&no=39155&page=) to talk about the teaser, some international fans were actively reuploading the the whole or parts of the teaser video elsewhere. So when the second teaser was coming out, I asked then to wait so I could post with proper translations. 

I had originally planned on posting translations of the special features on the HIFP blog, but now I won't be doing that since they don't want me to. I'm really bummed about it, but hey, rules are rules.

One of the initial hurdles of getting the Director's Cut released on DVD/BD was the reluctance of the producers of Healer. They lost money with Healer, and they were hoping to sell it to more countries to recoup some of those losses. Apparently, putting it on DVD/BD hurts their chances of selling it. (In the case of Kill me, Heal me, its producers decided from the beginning that they wouldn't sell the DVD/BD abroad because of this reason.) So they're very sensitive about any of the exclusive content of the Director's Cut being leaked. 

Also, it's not just KBS Media that is concerned about the copyright infringements. Back when we were still working on getting this deal decided, we had to appease the management agencies of the lead actors because they could always prohibit any of the images of their actors from being included in the set, such as the commentary or interview footages, the pictures in the photo book, the pictures for the posters and postcards, and the press pass. Some of the domestic customers weren't happy with some of those images, but we couldn't get them changed because the producers of the Director's Cut set were only authorized to use those particular images for those specific purposes. 

Also, Korean customers are very keen on protecting their rights as well. The way Kdramas are released on DVD/BD is basically the process of custom-ordering a very specific product. The fans gether enough interest in purchasing the item, the Initiative communicates that with the producers and first persuades them that it will be worthwhile to make it, then once the distributer, is decided, the fans express what they want on the Initiative Team's website, the Initiative Team organizes all those fan suggestions and relays them to the distributer, who then decide what is plausible and what isn't, while also working on getting the authorization from the relevant parties. I can't disclose any details of the drama that happened in the past six months or so, but I'll just say that it felt very much like walking on egg shells while being pulled in all kinds of directions. At any rate, because Korean fans feel very strongly about this custom-ordered product, they aren't happy to see other people who did not purchase this product enjoy the fruits of this whole process. It is a privilege to own the series as a Director's Cut on DVD/BD, and have access to all its contents. 

• Like 14

lonely-gif.gif

The feeling of watching the drama a long time after it was released knowing that I can't read other peoples reactions to the episodes. But, well....

I really like the characters. All of them. 

The scene where they entwined their hands was really really good. (´∀`)♡

And when Kim Moon Ho realizes who  the Healer is and ... he shows him the place where his father and friends met ... it was so sad ... with all the memories of him taking care of them when they were little. I really like him.  (人´∀`*)

And and...

I feel really bad to what happened to the protagonists fathers. Their scenes when they were young, their friendship, their restlessness, and their ideals... IDK... it makes me really sad. 

• Like 7

Omg!! Woke up to the most beautiful surprise!! :D  There it was. Beautifully packaged, my DVD. Innolife is awesome. I live in the U.S., and got mines already. Happy girl. 

P.S. I'm selling the DVD since I bought both, check it out on the Selling&Trading if you're interested or PM me! Thanks!

Lucky you! Mine is still stuck in LA. T_T 

Did all the pre-order gifts such as posters, OST, interview and synopsis books, etc. come? I saw someone complain that s/he didn't get any of the pre-order gifts and she ordered from Innolife.

Edited by ruizaio
  • Like 4

Lucky you! Mine is still stuck in LA. T_T 

Did all the pre-order gifts such as posters, OST, interview and synopsis books, etc. come? I saw someone complain that s/he didn't get any of the pre-order gifts and she ordered from Innolife.

Yeah. The shipping was super fast. I looked @ Innolife and it said it was shipped Tuesday and I got it Thursday. Best morning gift ever. LOL. Yeah I got all the Pre-Order gifts too, loved my ID card with the unique order number. :D

Weird though, I didn't get any email about the package or any tracking information. Glad I got it safely. 

• Like 6

@ruizaio i got mine today (it made it halfway across the world to Washington, DC!) and it had all the goodies ... and Healing Times translated in Hangul!  what a pleasant surprise!  I remember you mentioned the possibility of it being included in the directors cut but i was not expecting it to materialize ...  i am overwhelmed!  thank you for connecting soompiers with SJN's staff through Healing Times!

• Like 13

@cherkell, thanks so much for the info. I will let my co-patriots (Healer couple shippers) know about this. 

Btw, you seem to be well versed in the matters of the law. Are you a lawyer? 

Couldn't afford law school so I went for a paralegal degree instead.  I've been working for the last 26+ years on patent, trademark and copyright prosecution for clients who have had their intellectual property/trade secrets/source code "misappropriated."  Fancy word for STOLEN, right?  :P  So the trials and tribulations that the Healer Director's Cut Team have been subjected to over the past six months are basically the same copyright protection issues I work with day in and day out.

If it hasn't been said before, my hat is off to the Healer Team who gave up blood, sweat and tears (and then some) to bring this project to fruition.  HUGS AND KISSES AND SQUEEEEES TO YOU ALL!!! :wub:

• Like 9

Guest JCWMesmerizingEyes

Thanks @Cherkell for the explanation - bummed but it is what it is.  Thanks for all you and Gabby do at the JCW Kitchen :)  

Thanks @Ruizaio and the other Healer hot gals for making the Healer Blury even possible.  Watching JCW in 1080 on my 60inch is a true masterpiece.  Now I'm even more excited for my husband to upgrade to the 80inch at the end of the year.  I got all my goodies as well and I even got a JCW Sunday badge!! Whoohoo.. I was jumping up and down thinking that I was the lucky fan with personal signed signatures on the posters but I guess they are all printed. hahah  

@cmoirae2- you live Washington Dc- I live in Potomac MD. haha  Did you get the BTS DVD to work? I've been trying to get it to work on my computer, MAC and etc. Not working. I know the the BTS only mentions it is DVD so I figured any of the regular DVD player should work.  When I loaded on the computer, the Healer front page shows up and I can't get it to load.  I'm waiting for my kids to finish w/t he PS4 so I can see if I can load it on the bluray.  I tested 3 of the discs and so far so good.. Do you speak Korean or maybe we should put a help wanted ad for a hot guy with deep voice who understand Korean and be willing to translate BTS. :)  The crazy things I'm willing to do for JCW . :)

Edited by JCWMesmerizingEyes

Guest terbi

Thanks @Cherkell for the explanation - bummed but it is what it is.  Thanks for all you and Gabby do at the JCW Kitchen :)  

Thanks @Ruizaio and the other Healer hot gals for making the Healer Blury even possible.  Watching JCW in 1080 on my 60inch is a true masterpiece.  Now I'm even more excited for my husband to upgrade to the 80inch at the end of the year.  I got all my goodies as well and I even got a JCW Sunday badge!! Whoohoo.. I was jumping up and down thinking that I was the lucky fan with personal signed signatures on the posters but I guess they are all printed. hahah  

@cmoirae2- you live Washington Dc- I live in Potomac MD. haha  Did you get the BTS DVD to work? I've been trying to get it to work on my computer, MAC and etc. Not working. I know the the BTS only mentions it is DVD so I figured any of the regular DVD player should work.  When I loaded on the computer, the Healer front page shows up and I can't get it to load.  I'm waiting for my kids to finish w/t he PS4 so I can see if I can load it on the bluray.  I tested 3 of the discs and so far so good.. Do you speak Korean or maybe we should put a help wanted ad for a hot guy with deep voice who understand Korean and be willing to translate BTS. :)  The crazy things I'm willing to do for JCW . :)

@JCWMesmerizingEyes, you said you're in the US, right? Korea and the US have different region codes for DVDs, but the same region code for Blurays. Unless you have a Region 3 or region-free DVD player, you won't be able to play the bonus DVD, since I'm pretty sure it'll be coded for region 3 (Korea). The Bluray should work fine since the two countries have the same Bluray region code.

Guest JCWMesmerizingEyes

@terbi - thanks for the clarification - I tried it on the bluray PS4 player and it plays but I can't really select parts on anything.. I just play straight. I will play with it a little bit more.  The BTS starts off with ep 10 - the makeover. :) Thanks again.  

Yay!!! Got our pre order dvd gift pack from yesasia. My daughter is one happy fangirl,. She is so giddy while opening the package hahaha.This is my graduation gift for her as per her request. Daebak momma am i? :D:D

• Like 6

D512D79A-39D6-4C06-B106-BFAC84A1E3D0.jpgI got my copy of Healer today. Been checking the tracking since July 15th and it finally got here. So, the mail man came to drop off the package before distributing the regular daily mail and I missed him for an hour. Good thing he was only a block away from my house. I got to grab the DVD out of of the USPS (United States Postal Service) van. I'll be watching the commentaries/BTS first tonight. Cheers to those still waiting for their packages to roll in! 

• Like 9

hey guys!!!!! one of the peeps here who has gotten her BluRay copy! OMG SOOOO ECSTATIC TO HAVE IT.

IMG_2439.jpg

^IT'S SOOO GORGEOUS AND HEAVY.

I don't even have words to describe how pretty it is. I can tell it is soo worth the $400+CAD. There's sooo many goodies they have included. Just wanna say thank you to all who have helped anyone who needed help during the buying process of Healer and the fans who went and beyond to make this BluRay possible. Just letting you know your efforts were well appreciated. I can't wait to rewatch the entire series and fall in love with Jung Hoo and Chae Young Shin all over again~<3333

• Like 13

Cheers to those still waiting for their packages to roll in! 

Me.  :tears:  So thanks for the cheers. :lol: Nice that you were able to chase him down.  Not even a single piece of mail came today which seems odd.  I was worried that I'd miss the door that I even left a note outside that it was okay to leave it at the door.  Well...the one time I wish there was tracking...  Enjoy watching. :wub:

• Like 6

Healer DVD and Blu-ray

photo615121.jpg

Blu-ray

photo615122.jpg

DVD

photo615123.jpg

photo615120.jpgphoto615119.jpgphoto615118.jpg

credit: yesasia

link: http://www.hancinema.net/just-out-on-dvd-and-blu-ray-korean-drama-healer-84610.html

Waiting for Healer DVD/Blu-ray eh?

Here's for Japanese fans who also wait for "Healer" broadcast"

“Healer” will be aired every Friday at 11pm on Japan CS Satellite Theater from 31 July onwards..

While here, I am still waiting for any recent JCW drama to air in Indonesia.. :(:(

Edited by kanyaprasetyo
  • Like 7