[Drama 2014] Secret Door 비밀의 문

Guest maea18

@hipstereI think my original question was where to watch it during live streaming... since viewing from SBS itself requires a membership login. I do know where to view the raws or subbed versions later, but thank you so much to everyone who has kindly replied me anyway... really appreciate it.In any case, I apologise if this question was previously answered - I couldn't find it anywhere on the thread, hence the question.Anyway, I think I finally decided that it makes no sense to watch it live since I do have a massive language barrier to overcome. Will wait patiently (or not!) for subs to come out before watching :)
EDIT: Apologies to all and mods if link request for viewing during live streaming is violating the rules. Will stop asking henceforth.To those who posted replies to me, please edit them so that you are not in danger of violating Soompi rules. Again, my apologies for possibly getting you in trouble with my question. That was truly not my intention.
And so that I am still within topic... from the looks of if, HB will be dead by tonight... and be relegated to being the resident corpse. Am really sorry to see it happen so fast, but I guess it is inevitable, since his death will be the catalyst for the events to come. Having not watched Ep1 yet, please don't tell me the only scene that Han Suk Kyu and Seo Joon Young are together, is when he gets fished out of the well at the Queen's tomb. :((

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

class="content-title"“Secret Door” Ranks Second in Battle of the Monday Dramas

“Secret Door” Ranks Second in Battle of the Monday Dramas

New SBS series “Secret Door” is currently placed second in the great Monday 10 p.m. drama race. The program’s first episode aired on September 22 and reaped 8.8 percent of the national viewing rate in Korea, behind “The Night Watchman,” which garnered 10.3 percent.

The figures were released by Nilsen Korea, an organization that monitors viewer rates. According to Nielsen Korea’s report, “Secret Door” managed to attract more viewers than KBS2’s “Discovery of Love,” which got a viewer rating of 7.2 percent.

The statistics also revealed that “Secret Door” was unable to outscore its SBS predecessor, “Temptation.” The last episode of “Temptation” attracted 10.8 percent of the viewership, a full two percentage points more than the first “Secret Door” episode.

“Secret Door” airs on Mondays and Tuesdays at 10pm. [more]

valsava said:

@irilight,  My dear twin or anyone help...

Is it me but did any of you find Yeongjo a lil nuts in the first episodes..?  Also can someone direct me to this long trailer with english sub since episode one is based off that.. Because I didn't see the trailer and I'm some what confused about certain things.. 

irilight said: valsava said:

@irilight,  My dear twin or anyone help...

Is it me but did any of you find Yeongjo a lil nuts in the first episodes..?  Also can someone direct me to this long trailer with english sub since episode one is based off that.. Because I didn't see the trailer and I'm some what confused about certain things.. 

|SPOILER| "Secret Door" Han Seok-kyu gets leashed
trying to catch Kim Chang-wan

photo491060.jpg
Han Seok-Kyu lost the secret documents when he tried to catch Kim Chang-wan.
On the first episode of the SBS drama "Secret Door", Lee Seon (Lee Je-hoon) ordered a stop on crack down of a script and was told that Yeong-jo (Han Seok-gyu) was going to abdicate the throne.
It meant that they throne was going to be given to someone else while the king was still alive. When the king says this, the heir the prince and the ministerial must implore the king until he withdraws his announcement.
Lee Seon had already implored the king on this matter since he was young. Yeong-jo had said this like a habit and tortured Lee Seon every time he was in some kind of conflict with Kim Taek (Kim Chang-wan).
Yeong-jo announced abdication to see what Kim Taek's reaction was, but he didn't show up at the scene of the judging. Yeong-jo said, "There's no way Kim Taek will appear this stubbornly unless it's the secret document". The secret document was something Yeong-jo signed under threat of Kim Taek when he was a prince and was holding him back.
Yeong-jo thought the document had been burned 10 years ago, but it was actually in the hands of Lee Seon's friend, Sin Heung-bok (Seo Joon-yeong). Sin Heung-bok felt his life was endangered, then he tried to deliver the documents, but Lee Seon was at the scene of Yeong-jo's judgment and couldn't meet him. In turned out that Yeong-jo had fallen for his own trap.
The preview of the next episode showed Sin Heung-bok being murdered.
Source TVDailyCredit Hancinema

DRAMA RECAPSSecret Door: Episode 1by javabeans | September 22, 2014 | 1 Comment

secretdoor1-00631a.jpg

Secret Door is probably my most anticipated drama of the year, so to say I was nervous and excited about its premiere is something of an understatement. The history that this story deals with is so gripping, moving, and morbidly fascinating that once your imagination is grabbed, there’s no letting go.

Read full article HERE

@irilight,  I got a feel of warrior beak dong soo and deep rooted tree from episode 1 don't know why but these two dramas came to mind..

Also another thing just how many kids did Guem have because wasn't his very first born son was mentally challenge and he was supposed to have gave him poison and killed him.. With him wanting to abdicate the throne I kind of understand that the man was tired been sitting up there for over 30 yrs..

Guest nancykimlee

I like that the first episode was packed to the brim with information and people, and setting the tension between many characters. I love Sado + Heung Bok, and it makes it all the more devastating to know that this was the extent of their bromance displayed onscreen, wahh. :(( We weren't given much, but descriptions tell us that they've been besties for 20 years, and it's pretty clear how comfortable Sado is with Heung Bok, and how much he confides in him as well. It's as if Heung Bok is the only person that Sado feels most himself with, and to take that away from the get-go is just cruel. At least he'll have Prime Minister Chae and Teacher Park...?
@irilight @kaeruchan and I briefly discussed Princess Hyegyeong before the episode aired, and now having seen Park Eun Bin's portrayal, it's definitely a lot stronger and more calculative than what I imagined while reading the Memoirs, but still intriguing nonetheless. Off the bat, we see everyone's political stance and involvement, so it's safe to assume that Sado's story will be the result of political conspiracies in this adaptation. So far we've seen Sado as a bright and ambitious young man who presses on according to beliefs, but is unaware of the politics, and because of King Yeongjo's high hopes for his heir, I can see how this mounting tension will cause a rift in their relationship. To have Sado start out as such, only to cower in fear later, and resulting in mental instability is a sight to behold, and one that I trust Lee Je Hoon to convey through and through. Even here we were given bits of his impassioned anger, and welled-up tears of vulnerability, so I can only imagine how much more intense it will become, and how heart-wrenching it'll be.
And what can I say, Han Seok Kyu is commanding as usual. I just marvel every time he's onscreen, and there are no remnants of him as the beloved King Sejong the Great whatsoever. Him and Lee Je Hoon makes me happy, and this season of drama viewing all the better. :)
Btw, I watched this with my roomies and one of them isn't Korean, so we watched it with subs on Kdrama, and I'd have to say that some of the lines were inaccurately translated or with creative liberties. When Princess Hyegyeong and Sado engaged in a verbal disagreement, the subs says, "Having an interest in politics, is that a crime?" Then he questions, "Is your interest in me or my position?" What was actually said, "Is it a crime to be interested in my husband's affairs?" And then he asks, "Are you interested in me, or my dragon embroidered robe?" At the end when Sado and other officials are kneeling, they're not asking King Yeongjo to "Please listen carefully", but are asking him to reconsider his decision to abdicate the throne. Maybe DramaFever subs are better..?

Btw, I watched this with my roomies and one of them isn't Korean, so we watched it with subs on Kdrama, and I'd have to say that some of the lines were inaccurately translated or with creative liberties. When Princess Hyegyeong and Sado engaged in a verbal disagreement, the subs says, "Having an interest in politics, is that a crime?" Then he questions, "Is your interest in me or my position?" What was actually said, "Is it a crime to be interested in my husband's affairs?" And then he asks, "Are you interested in me, or my dragon embroidered robe?" At the end when Sado and other officials are kneeling, they're not asking King Yeongjo to "Please listen carefully", but are asking him to reconsider his decision to abdicate the throne. Maybe DramaFever subs are better..?

@nancykimlee,  Thanks for give a better translation to what she was saying .. The CP'ss seems to be more rude and she's has no regards to how the CP feels are thinks it's like she wants to run him and not the other way around..  

Guest kaeruchan

Ep 2 Text Preview:
어정에서 발견된 시체로 노론과 소론은 의금부냐 한성부냐 하며 수사권을 두고 다투고, 영조는 이선에게 의금부에 맡기라 하지만 이선은 특별검험을 실시한다.
한편, 지담은 살인사건관련 조보를 보고, 자신이 직접 나서야 한다며 증언을 하려 하는데...
*검험 : 피해자의 시체를 검시하는 등 사망 원인을 밝히는 일
*조보 : 조선시대 관보, 오늘날의 신문

Trans:
The corpse found in the well became a subject of argument between Noron and Soron, whether it would be sent to Uigeumbu (Royal Investigation Bureau) or Hanseongbu (Capital Bureau). Yeongjo made it known to Yi Seon that Uigeumbu would take care of the matter, but Yi Seon wanted to carry out a special autopsy. Meanwhile, Ji-dam saw a gazette related to the murder case and she herself went out to testify on what happened...

*검험 : An autopsy, where a murder victim is examined to determine the cause of death
*조보 : Joseon's gazette, similar to today's newspaper

I managed to check out the first episode and well, I like it! I agree with what @nancykimlee said regarding the ep. It does feel like an introductory episode but we're served with what we need to know. Sado seems to be easygoing but deep down, he's just another human being with emotions and dreams to accomplish. Love to see him running around from one place to another. This prince has so much thing he wants to achieve, but he doesn't get much guidance from the king.

From what I see, Yeongjo puts Sado as the regent so that he can place the responsibility on the regent, but at the same time, he likes to exercise his power once in a while, just like him declaring his wish to abdicate from time to time. It is a political game for him and a method for him to root out those who are going against him. Hence, Sado does feel like Yeongjo's scapegoat at times. It's still early to tell, but that's what I feel while watching the ep. Just like what the prince's tutor said, Sado is not really a king, but he has to shoulder the responsibility of a king. He wants to exert his authority but he has to be mindful of both the officials and the king. Man, it is such a headache to be in his position. No wonder he wants to be a painter :/

Sado and Heung-bok's relationship is bittersweet. It's clear how much Sado treasures his friend and Heung-bok knows the prince too well. Sado will try his best to find the reason behind his only friend's death and when there are so many obstacles in the future, that will make him even more obsessed with the matter. Yeongjo might found out about the secret document soon and he will block Sado's effort at any cost. Gaahh imagining the things that will come our way is so painful. They're going to hurt us so good.

EDIT: Regarding Ji-dam's involvement, love her role as an underground book messenger (lol I don't know what to call her job) and even the prince is reading the novel she wrote! With HB putting the clues in the first chapter of the detective novel, she will get involved in the whole ordeal, not to mention that she's the sole eyewitness to HB's murder...I'm also curious about the hanja character HB wrote on the book. If someone can explain it, I can't thank you enough!

Kdrama's subs are not that accurate (seriously, I can't count how many times I rolled my eyes at the wrong trans O.O) but it can give a rough idea on what's happening. Better if you can check out the recaps from Dramabeans or if you're confused about certain lines, I'm sure there are kind souls who will help you over here :)

Living without a stable internet connection is so challenging for me...hopefully I can drop by to share my thoughts tomorrow!

kaeruchan said:

EDIT: Regarding Ji-dam's involvement, love her role as an underground book messenger (lol I don't know what to call her job) and even the prince is reading the novel she wrote! With HB putting the clues in the first chapter of the detective novel, she will get involved in the whole ordeal, not to mention that she's the sole eyewitness to HB's murder...I'm also curious about the hanja character HB wrote on the book. If someone can explain it, I can't thank you enough!

Archived