[Drama 2014] Secret Door 비밀의 문

Guest maea18

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nancykimlee

@irilight @ohoheli @chenderella @hoshichan @kanyaprasetyo‌
Re: Seo Ji Dam + Na Chul JooIn earlier reports, it was said that Chul Joo is a fan of romantic novels (LOL), so he's probably one of Ji Dam's readers. She's also pretty well known around town, with the gisaengs jumping in when she was fleeing, and he is too per a statement from the police officer, so I think they've known each other prior to his rescue, and probably why he gets involved in the case later. 
Re: The murder case and speculationsIn a previous post, I stated that Jung Woon (Heung Bok's friend) went to see Teacher Park re: Heung Bok's whereabouts and that he's the one that picked up the booklet from the bridge. To add on to that, Kim Taek ordered the killing (and that's how he got his hands on the maengye), but I think Teacher Park is the one that ordered Heung Bok's body to be dumped in the well because:1. He knew that Kim Taek and the Norons would get rid of the body and evidence otherwise, but2. He wanted the body to be found, and knowing that King Yeongjo and everyone would go to the burial grounds the following morning, and the King cleansing himself from the well, it was the perfect place without completing disrespecting the royal burial grounds3. He wanted to bring this case and the maengye (the alliance document) to King Yeongjo and everyone's attention by putting this murder case in motion with the investigation, hence encouraging Sado to appoint Officer Hong, because he's impartial and with a seemingly clean record (until King Yeongjo intervened, that is). He's making a statement without revealing the actual content of the document, but enough to trigger curiosity and fear
When Teacher Park lectured Sado earlier on the power of persuasion in politics, it occurred to me that he's just as aware and active as Kim Taek, but not as direct in terms of his agenda and communication to King Yeongjo; which then makes it interesting because we now have him, Kim Taek and King Yeongjo navigating situations in their favor, and Sado sadly becoming a pawn in this game. And lest not forget Princess Hyegyong, who's smart enough to deduce that there's a greater secret behind these actions, and Minister Chae (Choi Won Young), who's yet to be showcased properly. 
I think that the suicide cover up was meant to be obvious regardless of how the actual investigation went down. If it was indeed a murder then the investigation will proceed, but because it was obviously not a suicide but ruled as one it raised eyebrows, especially for Sado who will continue to pursue the truth. Narratively it's more interesting and ridden with conflicts to explore the latter, hehe. In earlier teasers, the text posed the conflicting father-son relationship as one who hides the truth and one who pursues the truth. I suppose that that's when Ji Dam, Chul Joo and Sado will take a more active part in the story, with King Yeongjo's seed of doubt becoming bigger against his son - why is he investigating this, what does he know - sort of thing; it was already said that if Sado read or came across the maengye, he would become his father's enemy, so here goes...
And I think that that's what this drama will continue to explore and entertain; was Sado really a madman (in his later years), or was he the product of political games? Was he driven to the brink because of his father's seemingly high expectations and disappointment, or was it because of his father's fear that he'll usurp the throne? With the writer pulling from various source materials and tweaking it accordingly in this adaptation, the characters aren't exactly familiar in terms of how we know or remember them to be, which can be both jarring and intriguing when done right. So far, so good. :)
Btw, I think Jung Woon will be the next victim simply because he knows too much. =/
Re: Powerful and poignantIn ep 1, while Sado met with the Norons and Sorons to abolish the booklending crackdown, King Yeongjo sat there fishing. It could be seen as 1. he's teaching his son how to fish - the reality of power and the two factions' involvement in all decisions 2. catching the big fish, when to kill it and when to let it go - he's been around long enough to know when to win and when to fold 'em. It was a great scene to set up his ongoing tension with the two factions, and how he's grooming his heir-to-be. In fact, I love and appreciate the writing, directing and choice of editing because it's been so on-point in communicating what it needs to, and raising questions when it has to.
Re: Subs

I concur with @kaeruchan. I haven't seen DramaFever subs for this drama, but I trust @irilight that it's better than Kdrama's subs. I'm not completely familiar with the three official sites and their consistency in subs, especially sageuks, but I have a preference for Viki from what I've seen and read in other threads; better context, explanations and more literal translations. I think if you give it a day or two, the editors go through and clean up any grammar or spelling mistakes, which then makes it the better option of the three to me. 

Guest aidsincera

Fated to be manager/eunuch :D
Crossover: Secret Door drama and You Who Came From The Stars drama.

2014-09-25-12-45-55_deco_zpsxdx58q4y.jpg

My Kdrama meme collection: http://aidsincera.tumblr.com/

Thank you so much to everyone who have shared their thoughts here... truly insightful and interesting.
Ep2 continues to enthrall as events and conspiracies unfold one by one... starting with the murder of Heung Bok, the shifting of his body and the cover-ups that ensue. 
My favourite scenes still have to do with King Yeongjo and Prince Sado's interactions. There is a Chinese saying "伴君如伴虎", which basically means "being in the presence of a king is equivalent to living with a tiger". King Yeongjo is unpredictable and hard to fathom, which is unsurprising, considering how his reign began and how he is always held at ransom by the threat of the Maengye. However, for now, we continue to see what was previously hinted in Ep1, that the king, though brusque and seemingly distant, does love his son, and is grooming him to be his successor. Their discussion of the legalisation of private publication - starting with King Yeongjo's patient explanation of why it cannot be allowed, finally ending in his harsh reprimand for not realising that one needs to have the power to subdue and convince not only the ministers, but the king as well, before even thinking about overturning a 400-year old law - really showcases the heart of the king who genuinely cares enough for Sado and his future reign to guide him through any way necessary, be it fatherly advice or tough love. I love this scene in particular, because I suspect that this will be the only time we see King Yeongjo's unbiased view of Sado, before paranoia and fear of conspiracy cloud his judgement, and tear father and son apart. Seeds of suspicion and possibly dread are sown for the first time when King Yeongjo realises that his own son could turn against him if he knew the truth behind Heung Bok's death being linked to the Maengye which implicates him. This is a catalyst for things to come, which is why I ache for them both as King Yeongjo softens momentarily when Sado showed great empathy for the terrible loneliness that he has to live with, having to never show how he really feels to those around him. Moments like these, I fear, are far and few in between, as the chasm between them widens, which it is wont to do.
Lady Hyegyeong is portrayed here as incredibly shrewd, and appears to be more motivated by political gain, than a real concern for her husband's well-being. It makes me wonder, will she change over the course of the drama, or this is who she continues to be to the end. Does she learn to love her husband, or is he just her stepping stone? Am intrigued how she turns out. The drama already hints of things to come, with Kim Taek's threat to Hong Bong Han that if he failed to remember who he owes his real allegiance to, he may end up being the one to kill his son-in-law with his own hands (Apparently, Hong Bong Han was the one who procured the rice chest that Sado died in).
Re subs... I am doing a sanity check by watching Eps1 and 2 with C-subs as well... which, at least to me, explains certain dialogue much more clearly than the Kdrama subs. So looks like I'll just have to watch each episode at least twice, with different language subs... just to get a clearer picture... as if I needed any excuse to do so!

hoshichan said:i did it, can u see  it now? im sorry for the image quality the only think that i understand is woonshin fall in love with chul joo LOLi got this pic from this http://blog.naver.com/dhzzang2000/220131481490
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this the original source http://blog.naver.com/dramacube/220126575646

@liddi after looked at google translation (so i can't guarantee the accuracy)
the word 부부 between CP and CPss means couple.
the word 조력 between CP and Ji Dam means Aid, Assistance. (it goes along with yours @nancykimlee and @kaeruchan theory about CP being framed for Ji Dam death
then, the red word  정적 between YJ and CP means political opponent
but actually i do really curious about the meaning of the word under the picture of CP.....(i have the feeling that's the keyword regarding relationship between CPss-CP-Jidam)
as for the the colored arrow i don't really have any idea expect for  green one i think it means alliance/friend
if there is something wrong please let me know...hufth.... this chart only makes me more curious than ever
@irilight u'r welcome:) ...
well you are absolutely not alone...right now  every possibility regarding their relationship keep swirling around my head

Guest kaeruchan

Rough trans of the relationship chart posted by @hoshichan
Title: Secret Door's character relationship with spoilers

(From top left)
Court Lady Min : attendant at the King's quarters, Yeongjo's secret informant
Uhm Jae-seon : eunuch at the King's quarters (the young one we saw in ep 1)
Kim Sung-ik : Sangseon (eunuch of the second rank if I'm not mistaken, attending the King), Head of Dept of Eunuch
[written in the blue bubble - Knew the secret being the fire destroying Seungjeongwon (Office of the Royal Secretaries) 10 years ago]
Court Lady Kim : attendant at the Crown Princess' quarters
Byung Jong-in : officer at the Eastern Police Station
Yang Seung-man (I followed the name on the official site as the chart wrote the family name as Yeong) : Royal Physician, on the same side(?) with Kim Taek and Yeongjo
[blue bubble - Knew the secret related to Gyeongjong's death]

(moving to the top center, the main characters)
- Eunuch Kim's green arrow pointing to Yeongjo - loyalty
Yeongjo : 9th degree politics (meaning he's expert at it I think), a King obsessed with(?) recognition
- between YJ and SD - father and son, political opponents
Crown Prince Sado : something about the royal family..can't really figure it out O.O
[blue bubble - managing the special investigation team for the murder case]
- black arrow pointing towards YJ from KT - person who made the king
(Noron) Kim Taek : Prime Minister, Noron's leader
- red arrow between SD and HG - married couple
Lady Hyegyeong : Crown Prince's consort, something about a queen
- green arrow from JD to SD - support
Seo Ji-dam
: booklender Seo Gyun's daughter
- green arrow from JD to CJ - no remark but I think green implies good relationship while red is not so good..
Na Chul-joo : leader of a Western Swordsmen Association (umm..something like that?)
Unshim : Buyongjae's head (she likes Chul-joo :D)

(going to the far right)
CP Sado's People
(Namin) Chae Je-gong : CP Sado's brain
Min Woo-seob : bodyguard, Min Baek-sang's adopted son
[blue bubble between JD and HB - only eyewitness at the murder scene]
Shin Heung-bok : murdered in the year 1754, Dohwaseo (Royal Painting Bureau)'s painter, Sado's best friend, had the secret document maengui in his hands
Heo Jung-woon : Dohwaseo's painter, Heung-bok's close friend, knew about the maengui's existence
Eunuch Jang : eunuch at the Eastern Palace (Sado's quarters)
Court Lady Choi : attendant at Eastern Palace, and another sentence I can't see clearly...

(ministers on the same row as Unshim and Chul-joo)
(On the fence) Hong Gye-hee : Minister of War, icon of betrayal (why this reminds me of Gwangsoo LOL)
[blue bubble - handled murder of Shin Heung-bok as a suicide]
(Noron) Kim Sang-ro : Right State Minister, (unclear sentence)
- arrow from Minister Kim to Kim Taek - HATE!!!
(Noron) Hong Bong-han : CP Sado's father-in-law
(Noron) Min Baek-sang : Noron's influential person,  a scholar at heart(?)
- green arrow from Kim Taek to Minister Min: give your leader position to me!!
Blue box under Minister Hong and Hong Bong-han - harmony party?

(next row)
Women of the Royal Family
Lady Moon so-won : Yeongjo's concubine, icon of conspiracy and jealousy
Queen Jeongsun (Kim sshi) : Yeongjo's queen consort, CP Sado's legal mother
Lady Lee young-bin : CP Sado's birth mother

(Soron) Jo Jae-ho : moderate party, Soron's influential person
(Soron) Lee Jong-sung : Left State Minister, Soron's leader
(Soron) Park Moon-su : CP Sado's teacher, Soron's influential person, icon of communication(?)
[blue bubble pointing towards Teacher Park from Jung-woon - inform about the existence of the secret document]
- arrow between Minister Jo and Teacher Park - conflict

(last row)
Seo Gyun : Ji-dam's father, booklender
(Soron) Shin Chi-woon : central headliner [blue bubble - sentenced to death as an accomplice during Naju Incident in the year 1755]
(Soron) Yoon Ji : hardliner not holding any position in the government
Lee Ha-jung : something with Naju??
Shim Jung-yeon : Sungkyunkwan's student
Yoo Su-won : (unclear sentence)
-arrow between Teacher Park and Yoon Su-won - friend/comrade
Whew, that turned out to be quite long ;) Hope it can be helpful...the fonts are so tiny and I can't guess what's written in some of the description O.O
BTW regarding Naju Poster Incident, it happened when posters critizing the Noron were put in Naju, Jeolla-do in the year 1755, leading to purge of Soron. We might have the incident as one of the central events in the upcoming episodes since some of the Soron ministers will die at that time.

@liddi I am actually relieved that we will not have much love lines in here :D I want to see more of the mystery and the political fights!

@nancykimlee I also think that Jung-woon won't live that long either :( Poor guy!
Regarding the possibility of Teacher Park being the one who moved the body, he does have the credibility of doing it...but I hope it won't be him. It's my wishful thinking as he had a good relationship with Sado, so I don't want to see the prince suspecting his own teacher. But the novel will make him a prime suspect too..ah, I need Monday to come fast!

@kaeruchanThank you so much for the explanations and translations! Like you, I am really pleased that there does not appear to be any overriding romance that is going to detract from the political intrigues and mystery. So they will be featuring the Queen and Prince Sado's birth mother after all. I wonder then whether they will also incorporate the hand Lady Lee had in her son's fate into the plot. Speculations speculations!
I read a character write-up in Chinese for Secret Door, and seeing I don't understand Hangul, I cannot tell whether the information given is from the official website or not. However, assuming what is written is accurate, it would seem that Sado's fascination with Bing-ae, who shares his dreams of equality for the people, will be a part of the story. If so, I am curious to see how this is portrayed, seeing that the relationship chart has her merely as his supporter.

Guest kaeruchan

@liddi I think I have read about Ji-dam's wish to live in a world with equality and Sado striving for that dream on the website, will check it again tomorrow..The citizens' plight and their shared interest in the murder case, plus their roles in the investigation will draw them closer..I can see how this leads to the speculation about their secret relationship and stuff, and Hyegyeong will be in conflict with Ji-dam too if I'm not mistaken..

Archived