[Drama 2014] Secret Door 비밀의 문

Guest maea18

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest IguanaSoap

hoshichan said: im sorry for being totally off topic but im still new here so i dont know many things
 i wanna ask how to comment to other people's and how to upload a video, thank u for the attention....

@hapha8714 I'm the one who dislike Hwang Jin Yi... haha
Nothing against the actors or directors, but I never like the writing. :)>-

Let's say the writer loves to torture the viewers and I don't like the way she handle the characters. But other than that, Hwang Jin Yi is a beautiful drama to look at.

But ofc I will give her a chance here since I like the casts and I'm curious about the re-interpretation of Sado's story. :D

Guest kaeruchan

EP 1 Text Preview:
신분을 숨긴채 저자거리에서 몰래 세책을 시도하던 이선은 세책을 단속하던 포교들에게 쫓기고,
좇기던 중에 우연히 지담과 마주치게 된다.
한편, 대리청정 중이던 이선은 백성들을 위해 세책 단속을 중단시키겠다하고,
이선의 행동이 마음에 들지 않았던 영조는 선위하라 명하는데...

*세책: 돈을 받고 책을 빌려주는 일, 또는 그 책.
*대리청정 : 세자나 세제가 왕 대신 정사를 돌봄
*선위: 임금의 자리를 물려줌

Rough trans (Will greatly appreciate it if someone can provide a better trans! ^^v)
When an underground book rental place was being raided,
Yi Seon, who was visiting the place, tried to escape from the constables chasing after him,
before running into Ji-dam by chance.
Meanwhile, while carrying out his duty as the Prince Regent,
Yi Seon wanted to stop the raid on the book rental places for the sake of the citizens,
but Yi Seon's compassion didn't get through to Yeongjo and the king wished to abdicate his throne..

*세책 - the act of borrowing a book with a small rental fee, also used to refer to the borrowed book
*대리청정 - an act where the prince successor helps the king in managing the state affairs
*선위 - abdication or when a king step down from the throne

Hello to all! Hope we can enjoy the drama together and have a fruitful discussion (plus spazzing) on Secret Door in this thread~
:D

kaeruchan said: @liddi It's a major spoiler, so I'd say that it will enhance the storyline :)

I can understand your feelings, as someone who had watched TWDR..HSK is a very talented actor and I'm sure he will have no problem in channeling the wrath from Yeongjo. It will be uncomfortable for us as the viewers as we are used to his portrayal of the affectionate Sejong. I really have to watch more of his works to detach myself from his Sejong character...

If anyone is interested to know more about the history, I want to recommend the book Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong. Penned by Sado's wife, it provided a firsthand account of the wife who witnessed his husband's life. It's an interesting read and gives a different perspective of what happened between the father and the son. Though it's limited to a woman's perspective, plus with the Joseon lifestyle, it's still a good literature piece recording the history of the one of the most controversial happenings during Yeongjo's reign.

I don't remember seeing Ljh in any dramas that I can recall right of the bat but I hope Ljh do his role justice far as the character he playing and important historical figure..  His role has to nail the character and show the right amount of emotion no over acting no lagging in his scenes.. But so waiting for the day to come to watch episode 1 and it's not getting here quick enough for me..      

Guest hapha8714

kanyaprasetyo said: @hapha8714 I'm the one who dislike Hwang Jin Yi... haha
Nothing against the actors or directors, but I never like the writing. :)>-

Let's say the writer loves to torture the viewers and I don't like the way she handle the characters. But other than that, Hwang Jin Yi is a beautiful drama to look at.

But ofc I will give her a chance here since I like the casts and I'm curious about the re-interpretation of Sado's story. :D

@irilightFrom what little I know, King Yeongjo is poles apart in character and temperament compared to King Sejong, and Han Suk Kyu captures the distinction brilliantly based on the trailers. Like you, I am now reading Memoirs of Lady Hyegyeong and truly hope to finish it before the drama airs so as to understand the historical background better.
One of my greatest disappointments with Tree with Deep Roots is that its amazingly evocative instrumental soundtrack was never made available, and we only have 4 songs, wonderful though they were. The music I hear from the trailer of Secret Door seems to promise the same quality - intense, menacing, utterly fitting for the scenes we were shown, and I fervently hope that this time round, they will release the instrumental soundtrack along with the drama.

Guest kaeruchan

@irilight @liddi

I did a quick browse through TWDR and from what I see, Sejong is a warm king who is passionate in creating a writing system to improve the citizens' condition, while Yeongjo, from all the teasers, looks like he's going to be calculative and fierce in his conflict with the officials who are trying to control him. Although Sejong did have his moments of wrath and fury, it's still tame compared to Yeongjo's anger. Kudos to HSK, really, since Sejong has this kind of warmth in his eyes while Yeongjo looks like a fuming dragon.

Still, it's two days early for me to judge and it's not fair to pit a king whom I've seen 24 episodes of him against a king whose drama has not aired yet.

I won't say Lady Hyegyeong is evil in the drama, but her character seems to be paying attention to the political games, instead of sitting idly as a woman inside the palace. She's one of the Noron who was behind Kim Taek, so I am curious on how she will be treated by Yeongjo. Will it be the same as what recorded by the real LH?

BTW @irilight I can see why LJH said that regarding PEB..she's so kind and lovely but as LH, she turns into a cold woman. I think he means the character, since LH in real history seemed to be liked by the people around her except for a few, who were plotting against her and her son, Jeongjo..

I realize that the game of comparing and contrasting the characters from the drama and the memoirs will be inevitable, at least for me. But then, it will be interesting to see how the drama spins the history around the plot and hopefully, it will deliver.

SD fighting!

EDIT- SBS is posting lots of informative articles and videos about Yeongjo, so if you're looking for something to read, you can go here:
http://program.sbs.co.kr/builder/programImageBoard.do?pgm_id=22000004321&pgm_build_id=5501&pgm_mnu_id=19719

Guest nancykimlee

@irilight @kaeruchan @liddi @valsava

Here are some more info on these figures from what I know and have learnt from family and summers in Korea. What's fun about kdramas is the re-imagining of these stories, and the different perspectives in which they are told. This makes me even more excited to see how the movie, Sado, will tell this famous story in comparison to this drama, and with its own stellar cast to boast, hehe. 
Re: Princess HyegyongPrincess Hyegyong is a beloved historical figure, as Sado's wife and as King Jeongjo's (Yi San) mother. I think Park Eun Bin's real life persona will be different from her portrayal of Prince Hyegyong because the latter won't be as nice and sweet given her political stance and involvement. To some degree she has to be calculative and assertive (as seen in the previews), so I look forward to her butting heads with King Yeongjo. 
Re: King YeongjoContrary to this adaptation and what's been hinted through the teasers, King Yeongjo was known to be a Confucius ruler that deeply loved his people, and his only weakness was putting to death his own son. King Yeongjo tried to fix the broken tax system and wanted to govern his court under great harmony despite the two active factions: Soron (opposed him) and Noron (supported him). He was also a talented writer and left behind various works during his reign, and was an advocate for literacy for the lower class. Now that I think about it, with the emphasis on books and distribution of it, maybe it's not a coincidence that Seo Ji Dam owns a bookstore and trade books in the underground since it's appropriate and reflective of this period. But interestingly enough, the book, The Confucian Kingship in Korea: Yongjo and the Politics of Sagacity, also presented the strained father-son relationship as him pushing Sado to the brink with his seemingly high expectations that caused the Crown Prince to cower in fear at his presence. So it'll be another adaptation painting King Yeongjo as a seemingly strict father who went about it in such a way that pushed his son further away, and perhaps some of that may be attributed to his paranoia of palace conspiracies (?), instead of the kind and warm Sejong the Great that we fell in love with through Tree With Deep Roots. And If anyone can nail the emotions, complexities and depth of King Yeongjo, it's Han Seok Kyu. :) 
Re: Lee Je HoonAn emotive, brilliant actor. From what I've seen, he's always conveyed his emotions in the proper context that engages you as a viewer, so I have no doubt that he's going to make this painful, in a hurt-so-good kind of way. :) For those that are interested in his works, I highly recommend his movies, namely Bleak Night (also with Seo Joon Young). It's a must-see, promise! Other notable works include: My Paparotti (with Han Seok Kyu), The Frontline, and The Fortune Tellers. Stay away, I repeat, stay away from his trainwreck drama, Fashion King - so bad that not even he or Yoo Ah In could have saved it. 
@hapha8714 @kanyaprasetyoRe: Hwang Jin Yi & the writer

I agree that Hwang Jin Yi was super emotional, and many times frustrating, but maybe that's what makes this writer perfect for a tragedy like this? I'm already bracing myself for the pain that'll come, and per the previews, it happens early with Shin Heung Bok. She has a way of writing epic stories like, The Immortal Lee Soon Shin, and making these historical figures really personal, too. So in that regard, I'm hopeful for how she'll pen this drama because even though it'll hurt, there'll be rhyme and reason for it. And as you said @hapha8714, "there was beauty in those miseries." :)

@hapha8714,  Hi love your post.. I wasn't aware that this is the writer that wrote Hwan Jim Yi love that drama.. I haven't seen it a while and that the games are on I shall seek to find it again and watch since it's on 16 episodes..  @nancykimlee,  Thanks for recommending LJH other works I shall try and find and watch.. 

Guest hapha8714

@hapha8714,  Hi love your post.. I wasn't aware that this is the writer that wrote Hwan Jim Yi love that drama.. I haven't seen it a while and that the games are on I shall seek to find it again and watch since it's on 16 episodes..  @nancykimlee,  Thanks for recommending LJH other works I shall try and find and watch.. 

you can watch the complete set in youtube, and it's also good in quality! :)

@liddi‌ i sooo agree with you on DRT / TwDR. it could've surpassed the 0-10 scale to me (i'd give it an 11! haha) but it lacked the imstrumentals. i was disappointed too.

ooh... lady hyegyeong. seems intriguing based from your post guys. i look forward to her.

Archived