[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] The Imperial Doctress 女医·明妃传

sugarplum892

@ei-san_stvMe too. I got annoyed when QZ said he would rather die with YX if treating the patients. My first reaction was how about Queen and Crown Prince? Is like hello, you've forgotten who is your family now.  

But I like that part when ML maid told ML that QY YX had sex 5 times! That was great blow to ML! 

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@BellyButton Dowager Sun is still alive. WML used alcohol which DS was not supposed to have as she had stroke before. She found alcohol with no smell or taste and put it in the food and desserts that she made for her. Then, that day she put something to trigger like DS had stroke. I think having had alcohol contained food made it worse. So, physicians think that she had stroke (actually WML hinted to say DS had stroke). After that, Chang Tian Xia (YX's older same-teacher brother) who is now head of imperial hospital gave DS drugs that is supposed to treat stroke but also keep her in unconscious state per WML (he also implied as QY's wish too)

YX and CTX tried to save DS by sending her to Temple after DS's condition has improved. They told WML and QY that DS will not become better and at that time Dowager Hu (the nun) came to QY asking his permission to take care of DS. As DS and DH used to be arch enemy, WML thought DH must want to get revenge and it is better for her to die outside palace so that they're not to be blamed for her death. So, they decided to let DH to take DS to the temple which is located outside of city.

Holy smoke.  What a month.  I have been sleeping past midnight everyday because of this drama even though I only understand the story partially.  Tonight's the final night.  

Thank you very much @kyar7jizhen11 for your continuous patience and translation.  It is very much appreciated as it helps me to fill the many gaps which is crucial to the story.  

@kyar, I remember the scne where WML was looking at her comb so I assume she got that evil idea from her comb?  What did her maid tell her about the comb?  Maybe something like the stones on her comb is poisonous?  Any metal when eaten will stay in the body and eventually have a bad effect on the kidney and blood.  Yeah, sounds like lead to me.  But QY must be fed with large quantities in order for it to take effect quite soon?  Maybe its mercury?  Mercury is more effective in killing and inducing cancer or destroying other organs in the body.   And I assume mercury may be also tasteless?

I hope Queen Mother gets well.  Although I dislike her in the beginning, she now appears less mean compared to QiYu's mother and WML.   And it would be good for her to find out the truth - who are the good people and she will appreciate them more.  She was brought outside the palace to save her.

I saw in the trailer 

Spoiler

That the young physician seems to know what happened to QY and he said he couldn't tell?  I am sure YX will know too.

@budgerie, your aunty is right.   We must look at this drama from the culture and environment during the Ming Dynasty time.  Women do not have a say at all.  And for all the oppression for YunXian to be well known in history as a female doctor is astonishing.  She must be very good to be recognised and recorded in history.  

Ending

Spoiler

I do not mind if QZ and YX do not end up together as I think it is understandable from YX's point of view.  At least they both didn't die!!  It is better to have love than not love at all.  At least the share the times where they both 'grew more matured'.   Also historically, these two didn't marry each other so I am prepared for the ending.  

Farewell Emperor QiZhen.  

Young and rebellious
006eCTVZjw1f1qqsmn6xvj30go0rmtcy.jpg

Matured and responsible.
54493d49jw1f1qrwp17cwj20k00w5q9g.jpg

@BellyButton They grinded the stones from comb. Those glittering stones on comb. So, they're hard crystals and basically stuck in stomach, rubbing it and injuring its epithelium and blood vessels. Basically, the symptoms will show up faster (almost within a couple of days) compared to heavy metals as they're stuck in stomach even before absorbed by intestine (most nutrients are absorbed in small intestine). Heavy metal can be absorbed, passed through blood vessels and disposited in other organs. The sptoms won't show up till years later if exposure is not too high. I was just giving it as easy analogy in previous post. Sorry for more confusing you. I should have used example like acid poisoning. If it is modern time, doctors will perform gastric lavage to clean/rinse it out!

Spoiler

They finally able to clean out crystals by using oil from pig fat. However, it was a bit late since they have stalled a few days in the beginning thinking it was just normal stomach pain (gastritis or stomach ulcer). The stomach lining probably was already ruined too much and body can't heal much anymore. They can't do microscopic surgeries those days :(

The young physician (CTX) found out from WML about crystals and he dissected the two rabbit WML tested the crystals but he found it is no way to cure as those crystals are stuck in stomach. WML's maid told him not to tell the truth since he used to not get along with YX plus he used to be on their side (they don't know he helped YX save DS) and he misdiagnosed QY's illness (he will get punished for misdiagnosing the emperor). 

Same. Couldn't resist watching this live (even though it would mean less sleep). Anyway... 

Spoiler

It's too bad QiYu didn't 'wake up' earlier and that he just had to die when he's just about to redeem himself. I'm enjoying his last few moments with YunXian and the scene where he struggles out of bed to apologise to QiZhen and asks for forgiveness totally got me! And he's actually standing up to his mother now! The 'New Year's Dinner' scene where everyone (QiYu & YunXian, QiZhen & Queen Qian & the Crown Prince) was there would have been perfect had QiYu's mother not been there to ruin the perfect atmosphere! 

Too bad his mother is remains 'evil' as ever...

I can't believe drama writers tried to follow back to history. 

Spoiler

In history, QZ demoted QY back to Cheng Wang after he resumed the throne. In drama, he explained YX's grandmom that he did that to prevent both of them to be buried in imperial tombs and thousand years affiliation with it. I'm not sure it was because he didn't want her to be killed and buried with him as per dynasty's law or he didn't want them to be together afterlife and later incarnations (ancient Chinese believe that if they're buried together, they will be husband and wife together in afterlife or next life)??? 

The writers actually did fanservice with open-ending...hopefully, both those who're shipping QZ/YX and QZ/QQ will be happy.

Spoiler

Open ending which seems like QZ/YX might/might not get together.  Queen Qian died naturally and did not have to share her husband with YX. Although the drama didn't show they got married or YX accepted him, she was wearing his gold jade bangle. :D Actually, QZ died that year in history not disappeared from palace :P and YX was only 3 years old anyway.

I wasn't shipping anyone and liked the drama for the sake of an inspiring woman who lived her life like a man who can practice medicine as well as acting talents of all the main and supporting leads. I already know that it is impossible YX to get remarried according to ancient China imperial family rules. Of course, there are kings who raped their brothers' wives or married father's concubine or son's wife but they could never do in rightous ways. I'm not sure the kings who raped their brothers' wives did even give those woman legal status. Mongols, on the other hand, women seems to have more freedom and can remarry. They could remarry their brother-in-laws, step-sons and nephews, nephews-in-laws. 

I think Liu Shi Shi needs to improve her emoting ability with eyes. Her facial emoting is good but didn't seem to improve much from Bu Bu Jing Xing (the first drama that hooked me back to chinese dramaland after many years). 

I think both Wallace and Huang Xuan emoting and acting abilities are really good. Being villians are not easy to act and Huang Xuan can even show his feelings with subtle eye expressions. I have to say Gina Jin is also good being such a newbie. (I think this is her first long drama as it was shot in 2014 though this was brocasted later than Wuxin). 

Happy ending of this drama journey together forum friends!

Kyar

Finally the end of a good series. I kinda sceptical yesterday seeing how this series differ from the history, the 'end' of this 2 brothers. But seeing the ending, I can accept this differ.

It's kinda rush some point of ep 50 but overall it's all good.

I really love how this shows hinted the

Spoiler

love between QZ and YX when QZ find YX and saw after all this years, she still wearing that red jade bangle. And I also love how QZ, only after his queen die, and his son mature enough to become King, only then, he left the palace and looking for YX

I kinda dissapointed with how come QZ's son

Spoiler

grow up that fast on the new year's eve. YX only 8 months pregnant, but the son is seems like already 8 years old?? I think when YX pregnant, QZ's son is only 3 years old? 

:sweatingbullets:

Overall I like this series, I also forgive QY in the end. :sweatingbullets: I was hoping they gonna show more of QZ and his Queen.

@kyar7jizhenll I didn't see the preview that you mention (QY accidentally drink the plum soup that given to YX), I never saw that preview because I only watch on DragonTV, but yesterday when I saw ep 48, I immediately remember your post, and rushing tell my mom that is poisonous that soup poisonous :D making us both missed the dialogue of who give that soup to YX, and Mom that determine and wait for the rerun this morning to know who give that soup LOL

Yes, I enjoy the last two eps very much.

What did it say at the end regarding QZ's son?  Something like he was crowned emperor?

Spoiler

I am happy that QY redeemed himself too, @ei-san_stv  In fact, the dying moments with YX is very touching, and so did the 'reunion with QZ'.  At least all misunderstanding is ironed out and he could 'go in peace'.  But I feel sad that YX had a miscarriage.  Must be a stillborn since YX was already at least six months' pregnant!   In a way, fortunately, QY died before that incident otherwise he would had died an extremely unhappy soul.  :(  I would prefer he went with happier thoughts.

@kyar7jizhenll  You rock again.   Crystals would be like grinded 'knives' inside the system causing internal bleeding.  I am curious.  Do they really use pig fat to flush out unwanted stuff in the body in the olden days?  I thought pig fat coagulate easily?  Did WML suggest using water to flush out the ground crystals?  Talking about ground crystal, I remember the scene where YX told a lady that the stuff she took for her complexion is harmful.  Have to go back to find out what it is.  I find the medical references interesting.  More interesting is the remedy used those days and their relevance to modern medicine.  

The brotherly 'reunion'.  So touching.

b230e719gw1f1qutn3zgxj21be0qoq7x.jpg

8c3be2f2gw1f1qvnuj2tjj20zk0qo0xq.jpg

8c3be2f2gw1f1qvntwfn6j20zk0qojxf.jpg

@BellyButton The term they used direct translation is pig oil, but I figured there is no pig oil, so has to be 'oil from pig fat'? They probably made him drink the oil and he would throw up as well as poop them out. 

Yeah, WML asked to use water. Water won't work without suction as it won't make the person to throw up?

@jolin_chan sorry that u guys missed the conversation :D It was supposedly sent by QY but WML already bribed people in the YX's palace (per previous conversation) and probably also QY's palace. 

From what I heard, I think the oil that been given to QY is sesame oil, the pig fat oil is being given to the rabbits that they use for 'lab rat'.

@kyar7jizhenll it's ok, I'm glad you post it before so I know that is the 'poisonous' soup :D I kinda guess that certainly it's from WML but we only curious what YX's maid said it come from so YX want to drink it later on.

@BellyButton YX is 8 months pregnant

I understand why TYX and QZ will not end up together, because it's really awkward to marry your dead husband's brother However, although i can accept that what i can't accept is the fact that all the love that QZ has shown TYX doesn't seem to move her at all! atleast have them love each other even though they can't be together that'sa bitter sweet ending for me, but the way the ending goes in this drama is just bitter for me

I forgot to add 1 more thing that I love from ep 50, when QZ wrote on the snow

Spoiler

Jagiya / Chagiya ~ Husband / darling??

cr : melanie and yayoimusume

he won't ever forget that YX once call him that.

And how QZ told YX's dad that almost several years already, in his heart, there is only YX.

I cried quite a bit in ep 49.  I find the remorseful QY very touching.  I know that he is not a bad person but was angry with his behavior or perhaps stupidity.  

8 months?  I would have thought at 8 months, the baby would still have a chance to survive without the incubator?  :(

Ah.. thanks Jolin.  Sesame heats up faster than pig fat (I know it because I cook with various type of oil) .. guess sounds more like it.  If there were olives in China, olive oil would have been possible too.  I like the discussion on the medical bit and thanks kyar for trying to explain in layman terms to me.  It's fun trying to figure why.  

@BellyButton I think they want to stay true to the history but just rushing it so they make the baby didn't survive. I think Queen Qian also give birth when she just 8 months pregnant? Or maybe because YX is too tired, tending QY all this time, so her body is not in good conditions, they didn't explain this part well enough, they even cut the part when QY's mom want to kill YX, although I'm glad I don't have to watch that though.

I do admit, they kinda want to stick

Spoiler

YX to end up with QZ against all odds, it's kinda pushing it a bit, but I can't help being happy about it. I already accept since earlier episodes that YX won't end up with QZ, so this ending is surprising for me

:wub:

@jeenee I kinda think different from you, for me YX do show that she accept QZ's love in her own way and limitations, and in her own way she also love him back.

1. When QZ told her in the garden (before QY saw QZ caress YX's cheek and the brothers slap each other) that he should just take her in (as his wife) eventhough that gonna make his queen devastated. YX didn't talk back he shouldn't do it like she used to.

2. When the last plague broke, and YX told QZ to just leave because it's a dangerous place to stay put, QZ told YX that he won't leave YX like back then in Liu Qing An (sorry if I misspell the place), and if he gonna die because of the plague, he will die together with her this time, again YX didn't talk back, and just accept it. And if I remember correctly, QZ also mention the promise that YX made when she and QZ want to escape from Mongolia, when the wolves pack attack them, that they will die together.

3. When QZ wrote

Spoiler

'Jagiya' on the snow, YX expression, I take that as an unrequited love.

4. The ending,

Spoiler

just by YX still keep that red jade bangle after all those years, she still treasures the second thing that QZ give her, I think that is her way of showing that she love QZ back. She can't express her love bluntly, because even back then, when she still a maiden, she also didn't dare to immediately express her love bluntly to QY, moreover now, she already is someone else's widow. But because she didn't resume her old identity, and from QZ appearance when he looked for YX, he also didn't come as a retired king, they put down all those titles, identities that they have back then, and kinda resurfaced as new persons without all those attachment that hold them back from being together, so now... finally... they can be together. I don't know if they gonna married or not, but at least they can be each other's company without anyone fussing about inappropriateness (in my opinion) or as QZ said many years ago, just by YX still wearing that red bangle, it's enough for him. And I couldn't agree more. :wub:

@jolin_chan     

Thank you so much!!!!! I'm very frustrated because I'm watching it raw and i can't understand what they're saying!!! I actually don't have any plans of watching this with subs anymore because I was so frustrated and disappointed in this drama. 

Thank you I'm gonna watch this again this time with subs! i just hope the subs will be out faster. again thank you!

6 hours ago, jolin_chan said:

@jeenee I kinda think different from you, for me YX do show that she accept QZ's love in her own way and limitations, and in her own way she also love him back.

1. When QZ told her in the garden (before QY saw QZ caress YX's cheek and the brothers slap each other) that he should just take her in (as his wife) eventhough that gonna make his queen devastated. YX didn't talk back he shouldn't do it like she used to.

2. When the last plague broke, and YX told QZ to just leave because it's a dangerous place to stay put, QZ told YX that he won't leave YX like back then in Liu Qing An (sorry if I misspell the place), and if he gonna die because of the plague, he will die together with her this time, again YX didn't talk back, and just accept it. And if I remember correctly, QZ also mention the promise that YX made when she and QZ want to escape from Mongolia, when the wolves pack attack them, that they will die together.

3. When QZ wrote

Hidden Content

4. The ending,

Hidden Content

When YX left the palace, QZ when to her father house to look 4 her... he said he understands why YX wouldn't see him.. he understands that he have the Queen, his son, and the country to take care of...that he will not look 4 her now... but told her dad to tell YX that he will always  Wait 4 her, that she is the only person in his heart 4 so many years ago... and that if she to to see him again tell her to give him a sign... after so many years pasted, YX wrote a medical book... as QZ look though it and saw her name, he feel like it YX indication to let him know to go find her.. at that time his son came.  His son TOLD QZ NOT TO BE SAD, CAUSE OF THE QUEEN DEATH.. QZ told him he fine,  and that now he (the son) will shoulder the responsibility of the country, and that he leaving to fine a person..  at the end QZ meet yx....

Ok, some rant from me abt the drama. The thing I hated most happened, the drama did make Queen die so that QZ can be with YX. 

In my opinion, QY's acting in this drama is very good (even better than Wallace). He portrayed the good prince, the bad king, the repentant king very well. Although Wallace is the lead, but his role here is mostly pining for YX. Didn't bring out much about the character except a pining emperor most times. 

The drama got anti climax after returning from Mongolia. I expected to see some 'man' thing from QZ like trying to seize back the throne with the nun's help or whatever - something more energetic but instead i'm seeing a QZ perpetually pining for YX and infront of his wife. The sudden repentance of QY (ok good no bloodshed) but like everything is suddenly back to the good old days did make the drama anti climax. 

Not a fan of LSS but have watched 2 of her drama, Legend of Condor Hero with Hu Ge - she acted as Mu Nian Ci and in Scarlet Heart - she acted as Ruo Xi. Her roles in both drama are this type of expression most of the time. In ID it's no diff. Her expression is like that, same as her roles in Legend and Scarlet Heart. 

I like Queen but also not her fan.  I just like this role of hers. She got the Queen pattern. ML was also queen but ML don't have that charisma as a queen. Queen Qian acted in Boss and Me, she looks good in modern too but a jealousy role. The older Empress Dowager also acted well. She got the ED charisma. Unlike QY mother, she irritates me and she doesn'nt have the ED charisma. 

Although the rating is good but I don't think Wallace will bring home many awards for his role here like he did in TJOF (i hope I'm wrong). I think QY will win himself award for his role here. I don't like QY but he did acted well here. Wallace, when will we see you in a drama again? 

Archived