[Mainland Chinese Drama 2016] The Imperial Doctress 女医·明妃传

sugarplum892

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, budgerie said:

Ok, some rant from me abt the drama. The thing I hated most happened, the drama did make Queen die so that QZ can be with YX. 

To me at least they change how the Queen died in history where they made her blind and cripple and suffer alot compare to this version where she died with QZ by her side even though she knows he still loves YX she got to keep him by her side better than history which was unfair for her

@jeeneeTo me, the most heartbreaking of WH drama is TJOF. Even WH said in interviews that he felt (direct translation from mandarin) 'uncomfortable - it went to his heart' which usually he is able to get in and out of roles easily. And as I said earlier, I nearly banged my head on the wall with the ending. I recommend you to watch if you want a more heartbreaking drama (hahaha)....:P

@visiopeia

Yes, this drama just finished airing on Wednesday night. 

@budgerie

Yeah, I'm also a bit disappointed in the ending because that they decided to kill off Queen Qian just so QiZhen could be with YunXian. I guess I might have been a bit more okay with it had they at least shown a few more scenes of Queen Qian towards the end, but after the reunion scene, there were no more scenes of her after than. Just that mention that one she passed away not long before QiZhen decided to abdicate. Like, I know she's not the female lead but still, I would have wanted a few more scenes with her, even if it's just a few shots of her in the background supporting her husband as he ruled the country again in one of those 'flashforward montages'... Maybe it's just my Queen Qian bias kicking in....

I liked the drama overall, I guess, even there were a few parts I was a bit disappointed in. In saying that, having finished watching this and having seen that the script changed SO much of history, I'll admit that I feel a bit (pleasantly, I guess) surprised that SARFT wasn't as harsh on it as it was with Sound of the Desert, which I also quite liked. I mean, in both dramas...

Spoiler

the male leads didn't 'die' as they did in history, just so they could 'be with' the female lead (I do believe that QiZhen in real life died while in the drama, he abdicated). For Sound of the Desert, SARFT basically had the show change all the names of the characters and did not let it air for 2 or 3 years after they completed filming. Thinking about it now, I guess The Imperial Doctress is just lucky that SARFT weren't as tough on them as they were with Sound of the Desert

And finally, I want to say how much I enjoyed the discussion here as the drama has aired. This was actually my first time discussing a drama online as it aired and I'm glad I found a place where I could rant and rave and express my love for Queen Qian's character . Thanks so much guys :)

My review is the drama is ok..  Though in real history, Queen Qian died after QZ but the story has to have Queen Qian died earlier so that QZ can go and look for YX.

Other than WML, the other horrible character was QY's mum....makes one wonder how he can ever be her son..so different.

On the whole, it was still an enjoyable drama.

Last episodes ratings Dong Fang 2.0++ JiangSu 1.7++ ..

The reason why I'm disappointed with the ending is because they really decided to killed off Queen Qian so that QZ can be with YX.

Wallace's acting are quite versatile.. he portrayed a immature boy to young hot tempered king to a mature wise man.. 

Btw, fun fact, Wallace filmed TJOF and ID at the same time.. 

Huang Xuan did a good job too.. I like Cecilia Liu's acting when she's in Mongolia.. Queen Qian is my fav character because she live up the Queen's reputation.. 

I like Official Yu Dong Yang, Doctor Liu and the woman that always with the Taoist priest..

@budgerie  I disagree that QiZhen is always just pining for YunXian.  Yes, he definitely loves her and is open about his feelings towards her especially in front of YunXian but he tries to hide his feelings when he's with other people.  If you want to know what is pining, watch Liu Lian Chang.  LOL that was obsessive love.  QiZhen wasn't one dimensional.  He showed growth from a brash young man to a more matured, thoughtful and caring person.  He acquired some leadership growth in his dealings with the court and people.  Remember he was drunk, bored (playing with cricket), throw his temper, brash with many people.  QiYu is always gentle until he became the jealous monster and fluffy head emperor.  

@jolin_chan  I share your thoughts on love between QZ and YX.  And am happy that they end up together without all the fuss.  If QZ and YX still share some feelings after many years, then they are destined for each other.  And jolin's point is probably shared by many.  It is not appropriate to marry your dead brother's wife after all the turmoil. LOL people may think QZ murdered QY.

Thanks gals for the explanation on what was being said.  The ending is kind of open to interpretation but I think the interpretation is geared towards positive.  As being said, the bangle is very significant.  For someone to wear something which was given to her all the time, the bangle means a lot to the person.

As for twisting history, we know its real characters in fictional drama so let's not rant over it, hahaha.  

All in, a pleasant story about a courageous intelligent girl who is loved by three men.  I enjoy discussing the medical bit with kyar.  

Farewell from QiZhen...
56bcf3b3jw1f1rslje25gj20qo0qon0r.jpg

@ei-san_stvWe share the same sentiments. Wanted more of the QZ family and I guess there are viewers like us who would love to see more of QZ family. I was hoping Queen would be pregnant again (princess this time) since QZ been pretty free at home under house arrest. :P

@Teng InYes, Wallace did 2 drama at same time and a contrast in character too. That only goes to show he is a very versatile and good actor because both roles in TJOF and ID are completely different. I agree that QY acting is very good here. I also like the old doctor (lao liu). 

@BellyButtonOh yes, Liu Lian Cheng. How sad I was seeing that drama. Wallace, do you have to pick roles that makes people cry buckets. As for looks, I prefer the beardy QZ but for role play, I prefer the playful, bored, drunk, bad tempered QZ. He played those scenes very well, to some extent, reminded me of Yuan Bao (perfect couple). Only that Yuan Bao don't wear hat. 

As for the medical part, i like the part when QZ asked old doctor to taste the porride. I mean, can you actually taste what's added inside? Maybe can....and kind of embarrassing that the Empress Dowager actually checks the record when was the last time QZ had sex...my my! :w00t:

@jolin_chan and @BellyButton Thank you for your thoughts on the finale - very well said.  I've been reading the posts here and I'm really glad that there are those who share the same sentiments about QZ and YX's love story and their ending.

@sc_4bfd6599c64db57788c51ac9bd9befd1 Thank you for your translation!  I can understand bits and pieces without subtitles and can make out what's happening, but your translation put the entire puzzle together for me.

I usually do not posts, but just enjoy what others have to say.  I understand and respect that each viewer has their own opinion about the drama and how it ended, but I have to admit I was quite surprised that some were disappointed with it.  I've seen my fair share of Chinese period dramas and it is rare to come across one where the main love story between two people was portrayed with such restraint and subtlety yet you can see the love for one another through their eyes, careful/thoughtful actions  - and preservation of a bracelet from the beginning of the drama, middle of the drama and the very end of the drama. To me, if one cannot at least takeaway the symbolic meaning of YX keeping the bracelet with her throughout all those years, I think you missed the writer's point of the drama. I thought the drama gave just enough at the end for viewers to conclude the finale for QZ and YX.

Writers often take real historical figures as characters in their dramas, but hardly ever follow exact history so I didn't mind at all that this one didn't - that's why it's a called a drama.  I don't feel like the Empress was "killed off" so that QZ and YX could be together.  If the writer intended to do that, he/she could have had the Empress pass much earlier in the drama rather than write her to pass of a natural death much later.  Emperors in real history had so many wives in addition to the Empress.  If the writer went according to history, he/she could have easily had YX become one of QZ's wife, but chose not to go that route.  I commend QZ for respecting the Empress even though he may not have been "in love" with her.  He still loved her as Empress.  I commend YX for not outrightly reciprocating her feeling back to QZ out of respect and her promise to the Empress during the time when it may be deemed inappropriate.

Overall, I am happy with the ending.  At first, I didn't understand why the writer made it so difficult for QZ and YX to be together, but now I do and understand the saying "love is patient".

Hi,

Just found this drama and this thread the day the last episode aired.
Since the English sub is not completed, I'll continue watching.
I found the posts and discussion here interesting and enjoying.
I'll post some comments and questions and look forward to some replies if this thread is still active.
:)

I'm on ep 20 but def will come back and talk with you guys..

So far I'm not happy with QiYu he's so dumb telling Yuxian to change her name and stop pursuing her medicine career ugh!

By the way, love Wallace in this one he's such a easy-going character for a king 

Up to ep20 subbed now (didn't watch raw episodes and been lurking just to make sure my OTP wins the day!) and some observations:-

1. So far, Qi Zhen is not yet stalker-in-love = pretty consistent with  what he told the Queen (he likes YX a little but not in life and death). 

2. YX is too young to know what her heart wants. She says she loves Qi Yu but it's not an all encompassing love - she would rather not marry than give up being a doctor. 

3. I like YX's character - she is not really a Mary Sue - her change of surname was also because she wanted to revert to Tan and she does stand her ground where needed - loved that exchange with QY mum and her spot-on comments of why didn't he say anything? Loved what her maid said to QY too! 

4. Your first love at 17 is not always going to be the one you love the most or the right one for you. One reason I can't watch some k-drama or c-drama is this notion that the first love is superior to everything

5. There is no such thing as platonic friendship between a man and a woman especially if the dude helps you in excess of what he should. Physician Wan is a true platonic friend.

6. YX making that oath to QQ makes sense considering QQ's dad saved her family and clearly she has some budding feelings for QZ too - otherwise why object to such an extent ? And QQ who is older and wiser in matters like this can understand that but she also accepts what YX is doing. QQ herself is also realistic character  - she is not that gracious to completely accept YX as a concubine to QZ and it shows in her actions and words (immediately calling QY when she discovered YX etc) but she is not a cruel mean person. In fact for someone like YX who is proud and stubborn (all good traits in being a doctor but maybe not so good in relationships) , QQ being understanding and open would probably guilt YX (which it did) into making an unnecessarily harsh stand without truly understanding her own feelings.

7. QY really needs to man up to his man. He is not doing enough for a woman he vomited blood for. On that count alone, he and YX are not right for each other. 

im on ep 25 now and prince cheng is getting on my nerves. i feel like he's not good for yuxian at all. he's so dumb falling for melin's hoe way lol. anyways i hope there is a better guy for yuxian. i really want wallace and yuxian to end up together, but he is with the empress, which she is really good to him too

Archived