[Drama 2014] Golden Cross 골든 크로스

Admin

stuartjmz said:
If this bout were being scored on points, SYR would be out for the count already. KDY on the other hand is really growing. It will be fascinating to see just how far down the path to the Dark Side the writers will take him. He seems like a natural. 

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stuartjmz said: "she is going for a toned down performance usually found in movies, while everyone else is knee deep in "draaamaaa"."
Thanks for the counterpoint, @Orion. The bit I italicised particularly interested me because ( early episodes aside) I think KDY is being played with much less drama than any of the inept Golden Cross stooges, and both Michael and Chairman Hong also seem to me to be being portrayed with restraint and a minimum of histrionics. 

stuartjmz said: "Uhm Ki Joon is a nice actor, but his Michael could be replaced with the evil dude from 'Three Days' and we wouldn't notice. " 
Vive la différence! Throughout this Drama  I have  often found myself comparing the two  and thought to myself how very much better both the actor and the character are in this than in Three Days. A similar overall type, perhaps, but for me there are several significant differences, not the least of which is the absence of overt histrionics (and clichéd classical music cues). For me, he's also been shown to be much more fallible and subject to the restraints of reality than the cartoonish Chairman Kim of Three Days, for whom pretty much everything went right up until the very end. 

Orion said: You assume "draamaaa" means hysterics alone. "Draaamaaa" actually means going all out on the elements that govern the archetypes. Each type of character has their own extremes. Michael is a caricature "fancy villain". Those don't scream and cry. Geeky hobbies, a constant smirk on his face, acting arrogant, that is silly drama fancy villain 101. Uhm Ki Joon is a nice actor, but his Michael could be replaced with the evil dude from 'Three Days' and we wouldn't notice.

And Hong could only be more typical "cold revenge woman" if she had a tag stating so on her forehead. They are extreme archetypes and their actors do play them with as much theatricality as their roles call for. But since this is more of a thriller series, not a makjang one, we escape a lot of the "intensity" usually found in them, with all the characters involved.

Yi Re is the "unfortunate female". And her own role includes the crying and hysterics and looking vulnerable. But rather than going all out with the usual performance such characters call for, she is trying to keep Yi Re a bit more level headed. Perhaps the writer also wants that, since they did write Yi Re as someone capable and willing to do her work, even if she has to investigate close ones. So an overly emotional "weak female" would feel like conflicting characterization. Because everyone else acts exactly as their characters would, it feels "normal". Because Yi Re doesn't, it feels underacted.

As for Do Yoon, he is actually quite out there in draaamaaa. Both in acting cold and also the yelling and "I feel wronged" moments. The great thing is, they chose Kim Kang Woo, who might be intense and therefore fit such roles, but also has a very natural and raw talent that just makes characters relatable and emotions feel genuine. Do Yoon himself is actually a man of double standards and one who has been switching morals left and right. The character, I believe, is more confused than interesting. Kang's acting though? The best it could be with such a role.

stuartjmz said: Since this thread feels like something of a secret society, just 23 pages long at 60% done, I think it's on topic to say that this old man is LOVING the opportunity to have a small part in a grown-up discussion and exchange of differing views. I say small part because in this conversation I'm definitely the baby, barely a year old this week, and with all the drama discernment one would expect of a one-year old. Nevertheless, to read cogently argued and thoughtfully presented differences of opinion is like mainlining ambrosia after a weekend spent in the Doctor Stranger and YAAS threads. One is witnessing the development of an incipient shipping war à la AM1994 style, while the other is approximately ten gazillion pages of openly lecherous analyses of the physical merits of Ms. Im's main squeeze. Thank you all for making this elitist little cabal such a haven of intelligence and civilisation. 

victorb said:   Good points as usual coming from our very own Greek-Finn guru but since I'm in a debating mood I'll just share my 2 cents on the characters you mentioned in your post. First of all MJ is a bit on the caricature side but comparing him to the guy from Three days? Really? To this day I have no idea what that guy's deal was, he was just bad  for the sake of being bad whereas MJ clearly has a purpose and is being driven by pure and simple material gain and the fact that he doesn't try to kill everyone for no reason doesn't hurt.

Orion said: The other dude just wanted to destroy those who ruined his plans. Revenge was his motive, as Michael's is money. He was putting bombs left and right, Michael is waving his fancy American member around and acting like he owns the country, same as that one. They are both presented in the same way, although that actor can't hold a candle to Uhm, which is all that is helping Michael here. I see the same archetype, just on a different scale.

As for Hong feeling guilty, that's her feminine feels and while they usually appear right at the end to magically forgive every witchy female not clearly evil in dramas, she just got that treatment earlier, probably because they did not want to show a "good guy" making a deal with the devil.

What Golden Cross did well is distribute Chairman Kim's role among three characters. You have the President Father in law who is in charge, Chief Seo who is the mastermind behind the actual crime and Michael who is trying to pull everybody's strings. So while Michael and Chairman Kim are cut from the same cloth personality wise, Michael comes across as an errant troublemaking wild card constrained by the limitations of his power while Chairman Kim was almost cartoonish in how he was above it all and had everybody in his pocket.

stuartjmz said:
This I do feel is a little harshly over-simplistic.Perhaps because I am still a naïf I don't see every character as just a repetition of a stereotype, at least not solely.  I think Hong's remorse is entirely credible and and character-appropriate, not simply a sop to give her "feminine feels" to make dealing with her OK for the hero. 
In contrast, I find the comparison between what SYR did in blabbing everything about her cases to her father with what LJY did in ANL to be difficult to accept.   SYR is presented as a hot-shot, super-competent prosecutor who proceeds to break the most basic rule of lawyering despite years of experience. LJY is shown as a very raw intern, a complete rookie, and her breach is far less serious. This can be seen from the fact that what SYR did is ground for disbarment (in most Western TV judicial systems anyway), while what LJY did is almost certainly not. A complete newbie making a small error of judgement is not analogous to an experienced and skilled veteran making a massive blunder.
Thus, I find Hong's remorse to be more credible for her character. She is a pimp, as KDY called her, but it's not hard  to believe that a pimp could be genuinely shaken by the death of a girl she sold. Everyone has moral and ethical lines they don't want to cross, and it might be that while she could live with what her clients did to the girls she procured for them, having one of her clients actually kill a girl was a step too far. Whereas a prosecutor who lectures her staff and trainees about integrity and upholding the letter of the law while systematically (and apparently habitually) ignoring it herself seems less likely to me. 

stuartjmz said: Orion said: And I am now exiting the convo, since I said all I wanted to say and have learned to recognize the "We will all now repeat the same things 10 times and still disagree by the end" signs and my hands can't take that repetition. Too many years online, you can't take me aliiiive! *running for dear life*

stuartjmz said:
Oh damn, it's contagious! I've been infected with @victorb's staphylomissus koreanis virus - the bolded comment made me think immediately of a female character who was neither pure villain nor heroine, and whose acts of humanity and decency never, ever, impeded her self-interest and pragmatism. Like Hong she too was called Chairman.  It seems that for the unicorns here, Manly or not, all roads lead not to Rome, but to the same Drama. 
EDIT: Time for a rewatch, afte my having demoted President Ma to a mere Chairman!  :\">

Guest bacom

This is my first time to see such an exclusive thread, up to 12 out of 20 ep and only 24 pages, and I love it. I know for sure that all the posts I read in here are very informative brain-hurting intelligent discussions wih no fangirling or drooling over OTP or shipping war.
I continue to love this drama so much since it's so different with other drama I've watched, it only focuses on the revenge plot with no couple to ship, no noble idiocy, no necessary kiss to be expected (although they threw in 2 for free). Before, I only pay close attention to the bad guys , but after ep 9 I began to love the main leads also
Seo Yi Rye  I used to have my mouth drop for the amount of information she shared to daddy dearest. However, after she found out that daddy may not be dearest anymore, the amount of sharing was stopped to allow me to focus more on her character and I grow fond of her.  Just as @Orion pointed out, she's not a typical damsel in distress with a huge amount of wailing and moping and wandering around aimlessly when things don't work out the way she wanted.  In fact, she's very smart and capable of figuring things out quickly, and be quick to find solutions. Just throw her a hint and she'll find out the direction she needs to go, just throw her a bone and she leads you to the meat right away.  She catches on what in your mind fairly quick and she's capable of playing poker with bluffing.  The battle between her heart and her head is very interesting and I'm anticipated to find out about it.
Kang Do Yoon After ep 9, he continues to amaze me with the amount of gray area he steps into. It's very interesting with all the scenes he has with SYR. I see he begins to have feeling for her but the desire to use her for his revenge plan is still greater. Together with Michael, he gives me the best satisfaction to see how they use manipulation to defeat Chief Seo. He's lucky that he has his family, the congressman and the reporter as his moral support system. Otherwise, he'd surely become another Hong Sara much quicker than the 16 yrs mark. 
The grey area of KDY and HSRIt's very interesting to see the good people have the grey area they're willing to step into. While KDY is still on tbe borderline, HSR is already deep in there and only one more step to the black. KDY is just learning to use the art of manipulation and he stll has some control left keep him to step in farther.  He clearly uses SYR despite his feeling for her, and now he joins hand with Michael to sell out the bank his father passionately fought for to find the killer and prove their crimes. I wonder when can he stop and if he can be together with SYR in the end. For HSR, she is lonely on her revenge quest for 16 yrs so she can't distinguish the right and wrong anymore or actually doesn't bother to distinguish them. She had a touch of regret when the girl died but then she was able to brush it aside as collateral damage. She sees KDY can be a big help in her revenge plan and she uses him right away. She even uses the death of his sister (which she has partly responsible for) as the incentive to enlist him. So I love to know how the writer can justify her actions and lets her get out undamage in the end
Michael - is he a villain or not?I've been really torn about if I should see him as villain. So far I only see him go face to face with chief Seo. I know that he wants to take over Korean bank for the Americans and he fired bank employees but it hasn't been shown to see the direct damage on screen. It's only shown Michael go head to head with chief Seo and with the bad bank president and in the process with the head od Golden Cross as well. There's an interesting comparison between Michael and chief Kim (Three Days) To me, chief Kim is the madman who can loose control and order his henchmen to do the killing spree to just satisfy him, Michael is more like the master of manipulation who prefers to take out others using his brain. While I hate chief Kim for his psychopathic behaviors, I want to cheer on smart Michael whenever he manages to make chief Seo have a nearly heart attack. Whill chief Kim has the obvious despicable smirk on his face, Michael has the friendly smile constantly there, and the way he uses Ssaem as the form of addressing chief seo in every sentence sound like the worst insult word ever. While chief Kim's evil doings let me see people was killed left and right, Michael's manipulations let me have the satisfaction of seeing bad people squirm. Therefore, the villain Michael doesn't make me despite him but sometimes, I have to wonder if he's really evil or he's just efficiently doing his job

Golden Cross” Kim Kang Woo Instigates Jung Bo Suk

On the 12th episode of kbs 2tv wednesday/thursday drama "golden cross" broadcast on may 22nd, kang do yoon (played by kim kang woo) started to instigate matters.

Golden Cross

“Golden Cross” Kim Kang Woo instigated Jung Bo Suk.

On the 12th episode of KBS 2TV Wednesday/Thursday drama “Golden Cross” broadcast on May 22nd, Kang Do Yoon (played by Kim Kang Woo) started to instigate matters against Suh Dong Ha (played by Jung Bo Suk).

On this day, “Golden Cross” Kang Do Yoon was trying to take Suh Yi Re (played by Lee Shi Young) home and on purpose found Suh Dong Ha as he tried to hug and kiss Suh Yi Re.

Suh Dong Ha made Suh Yi Re go home and started to flip out saying that the son of a murdered was touching his daughter.

Kang Do Yoon said, “I love Suh Yi Re. I want her. There”s nothing I wouldn”t do for her. Money, network and relationships. I don”t need any of that to get her and I”ll show that I”ll win while holding her hand” and irked Suh Dong Ha.

Suh Dong Ha was angered to see Kang Do Yoon talk about his daughter and said, “if you don”t” want that wrist chopped off, then just stop here.”

Meanwhile, “Golden Cross” is a secret club of the top 0.001% of the people in South Korea who organize the economy and draws the story of a man who is enwrapped in the secret club and schemes and features Kim Kang Woo, Lee Shi Young, Um Ki Joon, Han Eun Jung and Jung Bo Suk.

Source: www.kdramastars.com

Golden Cross Episode 13 Review: Lee Si Young is Shocked to Find Out about Jung Bo Suk’s Duplicity

Yi re was shocked as she saw her father’s duplicity. That’s why we have to get rid of kang do yoon(played by kim kang woo) as soon as possible. In golden cross.

Golden Cross Episode 13 Review: Lee Si Young is Shocked to Find Out about Jung Bo Suk’s Duplicity

In

Golden Cross, episode 13, Seo Yi Re(played by Lee Si Young) was shocked to find out about Seo Dong Ha(played by Jung Bo Suk)’s duplicity.

Dong Ha did not know that Yi Re was behind the wall in his office room and had a phone call with Park Hee Seo(played by Kim Gyu Chul). He said, “A mouse that bites a cat is destroying the social order. That’s why we have to get rid of Kang Do Yoon(played by Kim Kang Woo) as soon as possible.”

After the call with Hee Seo, Dong Ha got another phone call from his wife. He immediately returned to a great father and husband. Yi Re was shocked as she saw her father’s duplicity.

Golden Cross Episode 13 Review: Lee Si Young Saves Kim Kang Woo’s Life

In Golden Cross, episode 13, Seo Yi Re(played by Lee Si Young) saved Kang Do Yoon(played by Kim Kang Woo)’s life.Previously, Yi Re found out that Seo Dong Ha(played.

Golden Cross Episode 13 Review: Lee Si Young Saves Kim Kang Woo’s Life

In

Golden Cross, episode 13, Seo Yi Re(played by Lee Si Young) saved Kang Do Yoon(played by Kim Kang Woo)’s life.

Previously, Yi Re found out that Seo Dong Ha(played by Jung Bo Suk) was the murderer of Kang Ha Yoon(played by Seo Min Ji) and was planning to kill Do Yoon. She realized Do Yoon got a fake text message and was heading to Incheon Airport thinking that it was Yi Re who texted. Yi Re quickly called Do Yoon and told him that he had been tricked. Just then, he was attacked by Gwak Dae Soo(played by Jo Duk Hyun).

Yi Re went to Incheon Airport right away. She finally found him being chased by Dong Ha’s subordinates. As one of them attacked, Yi Re blocked his way and got injured instead. Yi Re eventually passed out and Do Yoon then realized her feelings for him were real.

Golden Cross Episode 13 Review: Um Ki Joon Wants to Possess Lee Si Young

In Golden Cross, episode 13, it was revealed that Michael Jang(played by Um Ki Joon) wanted to possess Seo Yi Re(played by Lee Si Young).Previously, Kang Do Yoon(played.

Golden Cross Episode 13 Review: Um Ki Joon Wants to Possess Lee Si Young

In

Golden Cross, episode 13, it was revealed that Michael Jang(played by Um Ki Joon) wanted to possess Seo Yi Re(played by Lee Si Young).

Previously, Kang Do Yoon(played by Kim Kang Woo) wailed in his car as Yi Re got injured for saving him. Michael, who has placed a bug in Do Yoon’s car, heard him crying and said to himself, “I was wrong. Kang Do Yoon, you should be taking a revenge. Love is just too much for you, don’t you think?”

Later, as Hong Sa Ra(played by Han Eun Jung) worried about Do Yoon, Michael asked, “You like Lawyer Kang?” So Ra also asked, “Are you afraid that you might lose Seo Yi Re?” Michael replied, “Have you ever seen me lose something I selected?”

Golden Cross Episode 13 Review: Kim Kang Woo is Already in Love with Lee Si Young

Do yoon noticed that yi re found out the real side of her father, seo dong ha(played by jung so suk), and said to her, “give up on this case. In golden cross,.

Golden Cross Episode 13 Review: Kim Kang Woo is Already in Love with Lee Si Young

In

Golden Cross, episode 13, Kang Do Yoon(played by Kim Kang Woo) was already in love with Seo Yi Re(played by Lee Si Young).

Do Yoon noticed that Yi Re found out the real side of her father, Seo Dong Ha(played by Jung So Suk), and said to her, “Give up on this case. I can’t see you getting hurt anymore.”

Later, Dong Ha warned Do Yoon, “Stay away from my daughter.” Do Yoon answered, “I am going to. Tell her to give up on this case.”

Source: koreandrama.com

‘Golden Cross’ Kim Kang Woo Realizes Lee Shi Young’s Love

the kbs 2 tv drama "golden cross" actor kim kang woo realized lee shi young"s love for him. On the thirteenth episode of the kbs 2 tv drama "golden cross" which.

‘Golden Cross’ Kim Kang Woo Realizes Lee Shi Young’s Love

The KBS 2 TV drama “Golden Cross” actor Kim Kang Woo realized Lee Shi Young”s love for him. On the thirteenth episode of the KBS 2 TV drama “Golden Cross” which aired on May 28, 2014, Kang Do Yoon, played by actor Kim Kang Woo, realized that Suh Yi Rae, played by actress Lee Shi Young, has been caring for him.

On this day”s episode, Kang Do Yoon was on the verge of being murdered with Kwak Dae Soo by Suh Dong Ha, Suh Yi Rae”s father. At the same time, Suh Yi Rae realized the evil sides of her father and ran to where Kang Do Yoon was to save him. In related news, the KBS 2 TV drama “Golden Cross” tells a story of a secret club called “Golden Cross,” which is consisted of the top 0.001% in Korea, the people who move Korea”s economy forward. The drama depicts the processes of the ordinary families being sacrificed by the Golden Cross club members through conspiracies.

Source: www.kdramastars.com

Archived