Food/meal and beverages that you saw in K-dramas

nov6060

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KyoRean said:

Then you should get a boyfriend first chinguyah! =)) lol
I think that should apply to myself too =))

Should we open another thread "Korean BF for hired !"  =))
With requirement:

• "must know how to cook Korean Food", especially potato soup =))
  • must use kikoman sweet soy sauce =)) lol
  • korean drama addict =)) is compulsory
  • Skill in piggyback and carrying girlfriend, also cumpulsory

Guest chibiottoman

Annyong! ^^

pbknf.jpg

I was going to ask you if you ever have had a feeling like "I must cook this!" when you saw something in a drama. For me, it's kimchi... When I watched this episode of Mary Stayed Out Late, although it was the end of the vegetable season [erm I guess it was the end of lettuces radishes etc..] but I didn't mind it and quickly got my purse and started to almost run to the shopping mall. [i'm serious... I was like "it says make it wait for 4 hours I need to be quick!!] and got the ingredients (I don't know why but here they call Korean lettuce and radish as "Chinese"] and the boy working there got shock when I gave him the list. I had no idea about the difference between Korean lettuce and normal lettuce. When I explained him how the korean one looked, he gave me cabbage and I went home with a 3 kilos of cabbage, and some almost dead radish. I waited for 3 hours, salting the cabbage. Poor me.. poor me... It has a sauce right? Which makes the kimchi taste like kimchi! I realized that there wasn't enough red pepper powder for it and thought it was okay to put köfte spice [kofta in English] Kimchi's colour is red due to the red pepper right? Mine was.. orange... and I made some mistakes while adding the onions [it should have been put into food processor not like what I have done -> chopping the onions and then...using blender to make them look as if they had been put into food processor] and the result was... for example if a food is spicy you feel like your throat burns your tongue burns etc but not like you even feel nothing in your throat becauce it's that spicy, your eyes turns into something like waterfall! I threw the cabbage into bin and the sauce was.. I mean there's no word to explain how it tasted awful... really no word. If you compare their tastes, the salty cabbage was like baklava, birthday cake, profiterole with chocolate on it and the sauce was... erm the watermelon which you found in bin, rotten and smelling very bad...

chibiottoman said: Annyong! ^^

I was going to ask you if you ever have had a feeling like "I must cook this!" when you saw something in a drama. For me, it's kimchi... When I watched this episode of Mary Stayed Out Late, although it was the end of the vegetable season [erm I guess it was the end of lettuces radishes etc..] but I didn't mind it and quickly got my purse and started to almost run to the shopping mall. [i'm serious... I was like "it says make it wait for 4 hours I need to be quick!!] and got the ingredients (I don't know why but here they call Korean lettuce and radish as "Chinese"] and the boy working there got shock when I gave him the list. I had no idea about the difference between Korean lettuce and normal lettuce. When I explained him how the korean one looked, he gave me cabbage and I went home with a 3 kilos of cabbage, and some almost dead radish. I waited for 3 hours, salting the cabbage. Poor me.. poor me... It has a sauce right? Which makes the kimchi taste like kimchi! I realized that there wasn't enough red pepper powder for it and thought it was okay to put köfte spice [kofta in English] Kimchi's colour is red due to the red pepper right? Mine was.. orange... and I made some mistakes while adding the onions [it should have been put into food processor not like what I have done -> chopping the onions and then...using blender to make them look as if they had been put into food processor] and the result was... for example if a food is spicy you feel like your throat burns your tongue burns etc but not like you even feel nothing in your throat becauce it's that spicy, your eyes turns into something like waterfall! I threw the cabbage into bin and the sauce was.. I mean there's no word to explain how it tasted awful... really no word. If you compare their tastes, the salty cabbage was like baklava, birthday cake, profiterole with chocolate on it and the sauce was... erm the watermelon which you found in bin, rotten and smelling very bad...

Guest chibiottoman

Maybe a fire could start in my mouth but the waterfall stopped it?  #:-S I guess I'm saved. I still want to taste kimchi but I can't dare trying to cook it again! Because, this winter I saw that Korean radish and lettuce and their prices also. :-/ It wasn't really expensive but I felt kinda stingy to pay three times more than simple lettuce and radish for the fear that I'd not taste as I've expected. I usually pay 3 TL for erm two kilos or three kilos of cabbage and a kilo of Korean lettuce is about 6 TL. [3 TL is around 2 dollars or 1.5 ] Everytime I went to shopping mall, I told myself, "you can buy 6 packets of ramen with 6 TL ... 6 packets of ramen is so nice... why do you want to spend it on that lettuce.. you even don't like anything in that taste except for cabbage lettuce with carrots pickle... don't buy it.." and my brain controlled me so well that now the season is over.
But doesn't dramas make you remember like "People eat ramen with a delighted face but not the kimchi.."  And also, when I go to shopping mall, Naruto pops up in my mind saying "ramendattebayo!
pbmgc.jpg

chibiottoman said: Maybe a fire could start in my mouth but the waterfall stopped it?  #:-S I guess I'm saved. I still want to taste kimchi but I can't dare trying to cook it again! Because, this winter I saw that Korean radish and lettuce and their prices also. :-/ It wasn't really expensive but I felt kinda stingy to pay three times more than simple lettuce and radish for the fear that I'd not taste as I've expected. I usually pay 3 TL for erm two kilos or three kilos of cabbage and a kilo of Korean lettuce is about 6 TL. [3 TL is around 2 dollars or 1.5 ] Everytime I went to shopping mall, I told myself, "you can buy 6 packets of ramen with 6 TL ... 6 packets of ramen is so nice... why do you want to spend it on that lettuce.. you even don't like anything in that taste except for cabbage lettuce with carrots pickle... don't buy it.." and my brain controlled me so well that now the season is over.
But doesn't dramas make you remember like "People eat ramen with a delighted face but not the kimchi.."  And also, when I go to shopping mall, Naruto pops up in my mind saying "

Guest chibiottoman

I love spicy food but can't say the same for my dear stomach which has been trying to recover from the last "spicy fried noodle" thing.. :-S

And, hm some Korean dough things, in Acoustic movie, they came to bakery and started to eat these breads. I guess they are sweet pastries. I can't be sure however.
pbu6c.jpg

Guest OreoVampire

class="post_name" id="post-1478"The King 2 Hearts: Jogaeguk (Clam Soup)K2H-main.jpg
The heart-warming moments in this episode of The King 2 Hearts came thick and fast but the standout for me was the sequence of events that led to the family dinner. Ha Ji-won’s North Korean accent takes a bit of getting used to as the soldier-turned-future-queen-to-be, Hang-ah, but she does a wonderful job of playing the character’s tough and cute sides. The intense scene at the hospital between Hang-ah and Princess Jae-shin (Lee Yoon-ji), who was just coming to terms with her accident, was hard to watch (in a great way) but the mood then lightened with the shared giggles in the kitchen between Hang-ah and the Queen Mother (played by the exceptional, Yoon Yeo-jung ). The acceptance of our North Korean soldier into the fold of the Republic of South Korea’s royal family culminated in King Jae-ha’s (Lee Seung-gi) grimace about Hang-ah’s cooking skills at the dinner table.
K2H-lrg.jpg
K2H-sml8.jpgK2H-sml7.jpg

Jogaeguk (Clam Soup)

• 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
  • 3 cups of water
  • 3 dried anchovies
  • 1 square of dried kelp (10cm²)
  • 2 tbs gochujang (red pepper paste)
  • ½ tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tbs gochugaru (red pepper flakes)
  • ½ tsp sesame oil
  • ½ sliced onion
  • 1 clove crushed garlic
  • 1kg baby clams in shell
  • Spring onions

Soak the shiitake mushrooms in boiling water for 20 minutes.

Take 1 cup of water from the soaked mushrooms and add 2 cups of water to a medium-sized pot.

Boil water with anchovies and dried kelp for 5 minutes.

Remove the anchovies and kelp from the stock.

Stir the gochujang, soy sauce, gochugaru and sesame oil into the stock.

Add mushrooms, onions and garlic to soup and bring to the boil.

Gently add the clams to the soup and heat through for another couple of minutes.

Garnish with spring onions and serve with rice.

Serves 2

Gochujang-soup.jpgGochujang-soup2.jpg

cr http://www.kdramafood.com/2012/05/the-king-2-hearts-jogaeguk-clam-soup/

Guest OreoVampire

class="post_name" id="post-1208"Best Love: Gamjatang (Pork Bone and Potato Soup)

Best Love fever is over! What a witty and hilarious ride it’s been so I’m happy to find any excuse to go back and revisit some of my favourite foodie scenes. Ae-jung (Gong Hye-jin) was very forgiving, even as Dokko Jin (Cha Seung-won) continually denied his attraction to her by basing his reasons on his faulty heart-rate monitor. Despite my love for the ‘Ironman’, he really was deserving of the smackdown that came his way on watching Ae-jung choose the Perfect-man Pil-joo (Yoon Kye-Sang) on the horribly cheesy Couple Making reality show (that I know I would watch in a heartbeat!). And, such a fitting coincidence that on researching Korean hangover remedies (I’m assuming that’s what Ae-jung was needing after downing Dokko Jin’s very expensive bottle of wine in ‘one shot’ the night before), the dish Gamjatang came up as a great, spicy option and so funny as the lovely lovebirds were all about The Potato.

best-love-mani.jpg

Gamjatang is misleading in nomenclature as it translates as Potato Soup though the pork and spices are at the heart of this dish. There is such a great range of recipes available and all the photos are just mouth-watering but I ended up going with Sue’s My Korean Kitchen recipe because of all the helpful photos and tips. It seems like a pretty long recipe but not too difficult to put together.

Gamjatang (Pork Bone and Potato Soup)

• 1.4kg of pork neck bone
  • 5 chopped medium potatoes
  • 1 handful of crown daisy (I’ve used another Asian green)
  • 1 handful mung bean sprouts
  • 12 perilla leaves (sesame leaves)
  • 6 sliced Napa cabbage leaves
  • 2 sliced green chillies
  • Water

Stock:

• ½ stalk of spring onions (white part only)
  • 1 peeled medium onion
  • 5 peeled cloves of garlic
  • 1 peeled piece of ginger (1 inch)
  • 10 whole black pepper seeds

Sauce:

• 3 tbs gochugaru (hot chilli flakes)
  • 1 ½ tbs crushed garlic
  • 1 tsp ginger powder
  • 2 tbs rice wine
  • 1 tbs anchovy sauce (I’ve used fish sauce)
  • 1 tbs water

Seasoning:

• 2 tbs doenjang (soybean paste)
  • 1/8 tsp salt (I’ve added a little more to suit my taste)
  • 4 tsp ground sesame seeds
  • 3 sprinkles pepper

Soak the pork bones in water for 2 hours then drain.

Bring the pork bone to the boil in a large stockpot of water for 5 minutes to cleanse the bone.

Pour out the boiled water, rinse the pork bone under cold water and wash the pot.

Boil the pork bone in new water for 2 hours with the stock ingredients and skim the foam that forms on the surface.

Top up water about every 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare all your vegetables.

Mix your sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

After the 2 hours, pour the soup through a sieve to discard the stock ingredients and put the pork bones back in the soup.

Add your potatoes, doenjang and sauce mix to the stock and cook for further 15 minutes or until potatoes cooked.

Add the rest of your prepared vegetables and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and sesame to taste.

Serves 4

gamjatang.jpggamjatang2.jpg

cr http://www.kdramafood.com/2011/06/best-love-gamjatang-pork-bone-and-potato-soup/

Guest OreoVampire

class="post_name" id="post-889"Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy: Kimbap (Seaweed Rice Rolls)Biscuit-Teacher-main.jpg
class="post_cat"Featured class="post_name" id="post-889"Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy: Kimbap (Seaweed Rice Rolls)

Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy

Biscuit-Teacher-med3.jpg Biscuit-Teacher-med4.jpg

I’ve only just recently watched 2005’s Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy and can’t begin to describe how much I love Gong Hyo-jin and Gong Yoo, and their lovely, sweet characters, Bo-ri and Tae-in. I think I steered clear of this drama up to date because the name seemed so unappealing (I found its alias Hello My Teacher a smidge worse), but I take back all my preconceived notions. These two were just so A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E. I had to stop myself from adding more pics of all their cute moments together. The gorgeous picnic on the steps with the spring blossoms billowing in the wind was one of the most romantic scenes I’ve come across within the Kdrama landscape. That was preceded by Tae-in sneak kissing Bo-ri when they were accidentally-on-purpose locked in the store room and later, Tae-in purchasing the dress for Bo-ri with his first paycheck. Where are all the Tae-ins of the world?

I was expecting Kimbap to be a Korean version of California Rolls but they’re actually quite different. The filling goes a long way to making this dish quite distinctly Korean fare and I can see how these are perfect for a school lunch or meal on the go. But, in keeping with all the romance from Biscuit Teacher and Star Candy, make some Kimbap on a bright, sunny day and share with a loved one under some blossoms.

Kimbap (Seaweed Rice Rolls)

• 4 cups of steamed rice
  • 2 tbs rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 4 kim sheets (seaweed sheets or nori sheets)

Filling:

• 2 eggs
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 crab sticks halved
  • ½ takuan (pickled daikon radish) or cucumber (cut lengthwise into quarters)
  • ½ julienned carrot
  • 1 cup chopped bulgogi

Mix together vinegar, sugar, sesame oil and salt and stir into warm rice.

Lightly season eggs with salt and pepper and fry as an omelette over low heat.

Slice omelette into long strips when cooled.

Lightly sauté carrots until just soft.

Lay kim sheet on flat surface (use a bamboo rolling mat if you have one).

Pat a thin layer of rice over the kim, leaving space at the top and bottom for rolling.

Layer the omelette, crabstick, takuan or cucumber, carrot and bulgogi over the rice (be careful not to overfill!).

Fold kim over top of filling and roll tightly into a log.

Gently ‘saw’ Kimbap into bite-sized morsels with a knife oiled with sesame oil.

Serves 4

Note: I’ve replaced the usual takuan (pickled daikon radish) with cucumber for freshness, and you can replace most filling items listed according to preference. Other frequently used fillings include tuna, fishcake, spam, kimchi, spinach and even cheese (I’ve read that rice and cheese are apparently a very good match but I’m not game enough…).

kimbap2.jpgkimbap.jpg

cr http://www.kdramafood.com/2011/05/biscuit-teacher-and-star-candy-kimbap-seaweed-rice-rolls/

Guest OreoVampire

class="post_name" id="post-1435"Scent of a Woman: Stir-fried Beef with Vegetablessow-main.jpg
How adorable is the image of Dr. Poopy-seok (Eom Ki-joon) calling his own phone and mic-checking it to see whether it was still in good working order? Despite the cool, impatient exterior, he quickly tango-ed his way into my heart as favourite character in Scent of a Woman, mostly because of his geeky ways (i.e. accepting care of a dog he is allergic to; cooking with precision; crushing on a girl since childhood). It’s always baffling to me when the Second Lead makes more sense than the One True Pair but what I’ve always found even more bewildering is that every Kdrama gives away its ending at the outset. Wouldn’t it be more suspenseful if we – drama-obsessed viewers  – were kept in the dark as to how the love triangle (or square or polygon) played out? Nevermind, I’ll take the cute and funny where I can.
sow-med1.jpgsow-med2.jpg
sow-sml1.jpgsow-sml2.jpgsow-sml3.jpg
sow-lrg.jpg

The marinating step isn’t really necessary if you don’t have the time (you could easily add the sauce ingredients when frying the beef), but I find the rice wine helps to soften the meat and gives it more flavour. Other vegetables, such as carrots, bamboo shoots and mushrooms, are also great additions to this dish though I like the rainbow colours and crunch that come with the caspsicum, snow peas and baby corn combination.

Stir-fried Beef with Vegetables

• 300g sliced beef (rump steak)
  • 1 tbs rice wine
  • 1 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tbs oyster sauce
  • ½ tsp sesame oil
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 inch julienned ginger
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp pepper
  • Peanut oil
  • ½ sliced onion
  • ½ sliced red capsicum
  • 150g snow peas
  • 150g baby corn

Mix together rice wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl.

Massage the beef into the marinade and leave for at least 20 minutes.

Drizzle a wok or large pan with oil over high heat.

Flash fry the marinated beef until just cooked and set aside.

Add a little more oil and stir-fry the onion, capsicum, snow peas and baby corn for 1 minute.

Pour in the rest of the marinade and cook with the vegetables for another minute.

Toss the beef through the vegetables and serve immediately with steamed rice.

Serves 2

beefstir1.jpgbeefstir2.jpg

cr http://www.kdramafood.com/2012/05/scent-of-a-woman-stir-fried-beef-with-vegetables/

Guest OreoVampire

class="post_name" id="post-1369"Flower Boy Ramyun Shop: Beoseot Jeon (Fried Stuffed Mushrooms)fbrs-main.jpg
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee! What a fun, adorable ride Flower Boy Ramyun Shop is shaping up to be. I can’t get enough of the sexy and charming man-child, who has taken up residency at Eun-bi’s (Lee Chung-ah) home, though I can’t for the life of me understand what she’s thinking in trying to chase off the half-nekkid, Kang-hyuk (Lee Ki-wook) by waving about a whisk and ladle. To add to the mayhem by legitimising their forced cohabitation, Eun-bi then proceeds to read through her father’s crayon-scripted document stating that he intended to leave both the restaurant and his daughter to Kang-hyuk. Bwahaha. I think I may have mentioned now and then, that there’s something so eminently attractive about a man who can cook. And, judging by the time it took Eun-bi to polish off the pot and Kang-hyuk’s rather smug smile, he’s something amazing in the kitchen. The Naked Chef indeed.
fbrs-med1.jpgfbrs-med2.jpg
fbrs-lg.jpg

fbrs-med3.jpgfbrs-med4.jpg

I’m a big fan of mushrooms so looked forward to trying out a new recipe with them. I had intended to fill them with cheese and herbs but then discovered there is such a thing as Korean stuffed mushrooms. Stuffing them with beef rounds the mushrooms out a bit more, but it still seems to fit more as banchan rather than a main dish. I’ve read that tofu can be added to the stuffing mixture but was worried it would make things too soggy. It sounds like it could be a good addition though so something to try for next time.

Beoseot Jeon (Fried Stuffed Mushroom)

• 250g shiitake mushrooms
  • ½ cup plain flour
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 75g minced beef
  • 1 tsp doenjang (soybean paste)
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • ½ tsp sugar
  • ½  tsp rice wine
  • ½ tsp sesame oil
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1 tbs chopped garlic chives
  • Vegetable oil

Remove the stem from mushrooms and chop the stems finely.

Mix the chopped stems with the beef and season with doenjang, soy sauce, sugar, rice wine, sesame oil, garlic and chives.

Stuff the mushrooms with beef mixture and refrigerate for ~30 minutes.

Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.

Coat the stuffed mushrooms in the flour, roll through the egg and fry for ~1 ½ minutes on each side or until cooked.

Serves 2

Beoseot2.jpgBeoseot11.jpg

cr http://www.kdramafood.com/2011/12/flower-boy-ramyun-shop-beoseot-jeon-fried-stuffed-mushrooms/

Guest OreoVampire

class="post_name" id="post-1456"Prosecutor Princess: Vietnamese Rice Paper Rollspp-main.jpg
I am a late-comer to the Prosecutor Princess bandwagon but am happily surprised by how it’s playing out towards the halfway point. Kim So-yeon’s portrayal of the spoilt, aimless princess, Ma Hye-ri, is great so far despite some of her questionable wardrobe choices and unfortunate hair style. I’ve never watched Park Shi-hoo in anything either but completely buy his masquerade as the charming and affable, Seo In-woo, despite the looming question of ‘WHY are you playing her?’  I can’t make sense of it yet but hope it’s not going anywhere too terrible as their interactions together are adorable. Hye-ri’s one-woman picnic, set amongst the romance of blooming cherry blossoms, was too sad to watch but how satisfying was that kiss!
pp-sml2.jpgpp-sml4.jpgpp-sml6.jpg

This dish is a great idea for when it’s hot out and you just want to have something light and fresh. It’s also a fun way to gather friends and family together to have a go at rolling these delicious rolls and hanging out with a beer or two. The fillings are mostly a guide as you can add and omit the foods that you enjoy. Sometimes I’ll replace the pork and shrimp with thinly sliced beef flash-fried in garlic and butter. Yum!

Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls

• 300g pork shoulder
  • 150g cooked shrimp
  • I pkt rice paper
  • 1 portions cooked rice vermicelli
  • ½ head of butter lettuce
  • 1 sliced Lebanese cucumber
  • few stalks of chive
  • few sprigs of Vietnamese mint
  • few sprigs of coriander

Dipping sauce:

• 3 tbs hoisin sauce
  • ½ cup water
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • 1 chopped chilli
  • 2 tbs crushed peanuts

Cook the pork in boiling water for 25 minutes and allow to rest for another 10 minutes before slicing.

Meanwhile, slice the shrimp in half and prepare all salad ingredients for rolling.

For the dipping sauce, dissolve the sugar into the water in a small saucepan over low heat.

Take off the heat and stir in the hoisin sauce and chilli.

Cut the pork into thin slices.

For the rice paper rolls, soak the dry rice paper in hot water until just soft and place on a large plate.

Pile on the vermicelli, salad, pork and shrimp (careful not to overfill) in the centre, fold in the sides and roll.

Top the sauce with peanuts on serving.

Serves 2

Ricepaper1.jpgRicepaper2.jpg

cr http://www.kdramafood.com/2012/05/prosecutor-princess-vietnamese-rice-paper-rolls/

Guest chibiottoman

nov6060 - I saw your edit a bit late, sorry. Ah it's so great to be here, thank you. :DI I'm trying to get accustomed to how to share things. I have give a break to watching dramas because of my school work so I have no new "food" captions however, I have good memories with food.

KyoRean is a talented "K-food hunter" =D> woaaah! so many foods! But that clam thing didn't seem so tasty to me due to cultural difference. I mean.. I used to play with empty clam shells on the beach, and haven't thought they could be food. We have a phrase like "Denizden babam çıksa yerim." [i eat/swallow anything comes from sea doesn't matter whether it's my own father] which people who love seafood too much but.. I guess we should give our phrase to dear Koreans.. =))

Guest OreoVampire

chibiottoman said: nov6060 - I saw your edit a bit late, sorry. Ah it's so great to be here, thank you. :DI I'm trying to get accustomed to how to share things. I have give a break to watching dramas because of my school work so I have no new "food" captions however, I have good memories with food.

KyoRean is a talented "K-food hunter" =D> woaaah! so many foods! But that clam thing didn't seem so tasty to me due to cultural difference. I mean.. I used to play with empty clam shells on the beach, and haven't thought they could be food. We have a phrase like "Denizden babam çıksa yerim." [i eat/swallow anything comes from sea doesn't matter whether it's my own father] which people who love seafood too much but.. I guess we should give our phrase to dear Koreans.. =))

Archived