[Drama 2013] Her Legend / Her Myth 그녀의 신화

StaRix

After Her Legend, Goddess of Fire and Goddess of Marriage I will only watch completed Dramas.  I can't stand the suspence.  I just want to hold KH and evil auntie and shake them until they cry.  No nobel peace prize for me I guess.  But their characters are so evil without remource or any form of saving grace.  KH  is purely  and simply materialistic to the exclusion of any genuine affection.   Evil auntie is only protecting herself, I think if she could get KH back by telling she would but she is afraid of what wold happen to herself.  She has made no amends to JS and tries to bring her down everytime. 

Every hug, every kiss every ounce of affection that KH gets from her adopted family must be bitter to KH because it all stems from things that JS would have done.  Do Young has been awake for more than nine years and she is still far from well. It seems to me that somehow or the other she is holding herself back.  Maybe subconsciously she knows that KH is not JS and is afraid to face the truth believing that she had failed JS once again.  She is forcing the closeness and it may stem from the belief that she had at the begining that she could not be a good mother.  The distance she feels from KH makes her feel that she was right to stay away from adoption.  She should love KH beyond words but only when she find trinkets does she feel emotion and it is always remourse rather than pure joy.  To much shippin it is 2:30am where I am I should be sleeping.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JS is really carefree, how can she sleep in JH car who is somewhat of a stranger the second she stepped into the car, I found that scene in episode 6 very funny.

JS also has luck with person and when KH and her aunt try to hurt her, she always has someone on stand up willing to help her in that moment.

I can only encourage @nikiij and @leaaaaa and anyone else trying to learn Korean to stick with it. A whole new dimension of understanding and enjoyment opens up, once you finally get to the stage where you can wean yourself off subs and manage to take in the Korean 'as it comes"  --- but WITHOUT translating it in your head. Despite what some traditional language courses lead you to believe, translation is the enemy of true comprehension. Until you can take in a language on its own terms without trying to convert it into mentally into your native language, you haven't yet arrived where you need to go to to really feel your way into these dramas.

Unless your native language is one with an underlying grammatical structure similar to Korean -- and that basically means unless you're a native speaker of Japanese (or, maybe, of some Indic languages, especially those of the southern Indic region) your absolutely essential first task is to get the grammar of your own language out of your head and replace it by a feel for the way Korean sentences are patterned. (And I deliberately say "feel", not abstract knowledge of a set of grammatical "rules") Unless you achieve that, you can learn vocabulary, and endings, and particles, and conjugations, and "patterns" till the cows come home, and you'll still be foxed by most real-world Korean sentences, as distinct from the toytown stuff used in language-learning text books, even some supposedly "advanced" ones. 

That's the basic error Koreans make when trying to learn languages or teach their own language to foreigners, and it largely accounts for the massive underperformance of S. Korea in this field in international comparisons. In the rankings for second-language attainment published by UNESCO and simlilar organisations, three nations in the "developed" world regularly sit near the bottom: the USA, the UK and ... S. Korea.   The first two are no surprise. All Brits and most US citizens of WASPish extraction tend to believe that foreign language speakers are just suffering from some sort of hearing  impairment. If you yell at them loudly enough in BASIC ENGLISH and add a bit of sign language, you can make yourself perfectly well understood without wasting precious time mugging up their funny alien tongues. And what else is Google Translate for, anyway? 

Expenditure on second language learning in both the US and UK as a proportion of national GDP is vanishingly small. But there are rankings for such expenditure, too, and in those rankings, S. Korea isn't at the bottom, it's at the top end.  So S.Korea spends more of the national income on second language acquisition than most other developed nations, yet sits stubbornly near the bottom on general second-language proficiency. Factor in the phenomenal performance of Korea in other areas of educational attainment and the colossal support given by parents, as well as schools and govenrment agencies, to kids' language learning efforts, and it becomes plain that this discrepancy cries out for an explanation.

The core problem, to my mind, is that Koreans think that if they amass enough vocabulary, mainly by drill and grind and flashcards, they will master English. But a large vocabulary is completely useless without an underlying, and prior, sense of how English native speakers put those words together into sentences. And Koreans actually hamper foreigners' learning of Korean by imposing the same approach to teaching Korean. They set out to equip learners with ever bigger loads of vocabulary that leave them tottering under the burden yet completely at a loss to glue these items toegether in a way that makes sense to Koreans, or to make sense of Korean sentences encountered "in the wild".

So I'm sorry to say that in my opinion, based on a professional lifetime spent in and around applied linguistics and translation studies, the biggest obstacles to people (other than native speakers of Japanese) effectively learning Korean are : 1. Korean language teachers  2. Korean language courses. 3 Korean language-learning text books. If I hadn't kept well clear of all three, I doubt whether I'd have got nearly as far with my own learning of the language. Thank goodness for the Internet!

I had some unexpected time on my hands between train connections with an unusually good Wifi signal at Starbucks, so I thought I'd translate Jeong Soo's character profile, since we're getting at a stage where it seems pretty relevant to current developments in the plot.

staRiX did post a translation of all the translations in this thread before, but the translator objected to supposed "uncredited" use of ?her? handiwork (although all due credit was in fact given) and has since configured the site that hosts the original translations to refuse connections from outside Korea. And anyway, I felt the translation left something to be desired (there were bits of that translation I as a native speaker of English couldn't make any sense of until I went back to the original Korean (whereupon light dawned).  Still in the thread are, much better, translations of some other character profiles by jina_bing_bang, but I don't think this one is among them.

I'd better also repeat what I said earlier in the thread in response to a query from @leaaaaa about how much reliance can be placed on these official character outline pages, namely that jtbc ones tend to be more reliable guides to what actually emerges in the dramas than those on the mainstream networks, but that once a production is under way, things tend to get changed if the team feels they would work better if altered. There's a good example in the character profile for JS's boy cousin, which says that during JS's college days, after KY had been sent to the States, he filched some of the cash actually meant for JS but which his mother was still hoarding, got into gambling debt and had to be bailed out by his family, with JS volunteering to drop out of College to help rescue him from his creditors. Plainly that didn't fit well with the sort of character this figure developed into as production got under way, so instead in the actual script he is given a history of prison terms for repeated sale of counterfeit goods, which JS seems to find quite an endearing trait, and we see that she's always waiting with the required helping of tofu whenever he gets out of jail, with there being no suggestion, or at least none that I could pick up, of his delinquency trashing her education.

Anyway, back to my translation of Jeong Soo's character profile. I don't get touchy about "credits", but if you want to repost any of this anywhere else, it would be good manners to link back to this thread.

Eun Jeong Soo

I don't care about  possessions! I just want to create things!

It's probably the impression made by her bright and positive personality and her ever-smiling face that gives her the aura of a girl younger than her years. She wears no makeup and doesn't go in for stylish looks, but she's tall and sturdily built with long limbs and there's something refreshingly straightforward about her.

Because her mother was thrown out of her family home for getting pregnant, she had a lonely upbringing, with neither close family nor relatives. But the belief that "tomorrow is another day' that can turn her her current misfortunes around is a source of strength to her and makes her a beacon of optimism.

After losing her mother, she moved to the home of her maternal uncle, whom she'd never met before, and even while she was suffering abuse and neglect at the hands of her aunt Mi Yeon and cousin Kyeong Hee, her distinctive vitality and talent for happiness meant she was always spunkily wearing a radiant smile.

Most women, when they see a luxury bag in a display window, feel a desire that says  "I've got to have that!", Jeong Soo stays glued to that same display by a desire that says "I've got to make that with my own hands".

She may not be able to brandish a business card bearing the name of a top fashion house, she has no overseas study on her resumé, and she graduated from a zero-reputation vocational college, but she was good enough to win three national bag design competitions and has a strong sense of her own genius.

Love Line

Since her highschool days, penning love letters for other people has been a specialty of hers, and rumor has it that she even made  a "vicarious confession' of love to a student teacher at the request of a friend of hers. But though she is anything but bashful, she has managed to reach the age of twenty-six without ever herself having experienced genuine romance.

Min Ki, whom she's fond of like a brother, shows affection for her, and so does Jin Hoo, in his tetchy, childish way. But she's far from perceiving how serious they both are and thinks it's all just story-book stuff.

But where Jin Hoo is concerned, she can't work out why he's so scathing and intolerant, and her awareness that she actually feels attracted towards him makes her perplexed.

Here now is my counterpart translation of Kyeong Hee's profile.

Kim Seo Hyeon /  Eun Kyeong Hee

I want to spread my wings and take flight from the lake shore to a life of  luxury. Because I'm a swan!

Jeong Soo's cousin on her mother's side.

With her stunning looks and her prodigious egotism, she will do absolutely anything to come out on top.

What was holding her back was the environment into which she was born. Her feckless father and a mother who, thanks to that father's character, had no choice but to be tough and brash.

Since her childhood she'd fostered hopes that, just like in a movie or a drama, her real mother and father would one day show up and rescue her from life in the gutter.

All the same, even though she's now been reborn as a beautiful and elegant swan, the effort required to avoid sinking down below the surface leaves her exhausted and gasping for breath.

Nevertheless, she inherited the creative talent of her grandfather (Byeon Ki) and while she was a student at Parsons Design School her fashion sense attracted attention.

Love Line

Attracted to her dashing fellow student Min Ki at Parsons Design School, she formed a campus couple with him, but when she discovered that he was just a self-supporting student from a humble background being sponsored by Choi Soo Ho [=JS's real father] she cold-heartedly left him. And catching her real target, Jin Hoo, isn't going to prove so easy.

She broke up with Min Ki because of his background, but he was after all Seo Hyeon's first love,  even though for the sake her own future advancement she's determined to grab Jin Hoo. But if Jeong Soo, of all people, turns out to be her rival, she certainly won't want to lose either of the two men to her.

I can't resist commenting that Kdrama is not a good place to learn about elementary animal physiology. The writer of Shark was seriously muddled about the functions of a swim bladder in fish that have them, and hence also wrong about the consequences for sharks of not having such an organ. And now the writer of this profile (who may of course be different from the drama author) apparently thinks that swans have to paddle furiously to stop themselves sinking.

Guest Yang_EunBi

I don't get episode 6 thoroughly because of the lack of subs but is Jin Hoo already crushing on Jung Soo after knowing she's the young lady she had argued with at the street selling bags? Okay, I'm only basing on facial expressions but I hope it is what I'm hunching about since I don't want the hate relationship between the two extend for a couple more episodes. :D Anyways, they look really good next to each other. Another drama couple is born!   :x

Guest leaaaaa

I won't give up learning Korean ^^...I think my teacher does a good job in teaching Korean. She covers the four important areas for learning a language: a) listening and comprehension B) reading and comprehension c) grammar d) vocabulary...a&b includes improving speaking skills, plus explaining the culture of the language you are learning so that you can understand cultural references in the language...Hence, we start with listening to a text, then we talk about what we understood, then we read the text together again and she explains us the things we don't understand (lol like cultural references or also vocab). Afterwards, we learn a bit new grammar(which includes doing grammar exercises). At the end, we have to talk. She asks us questions and we have to answer by using the new vocab or grammar. That part is the most tiring part..lol Of course, we also get some homeworks to improve writing and memorize vocabulary...Anyway, I can't complain...

StaRiX said:

nikkij

said: Not sure about the fight in the preview. It seems so unlike JS. Might be a dream unless the writers are going comando on us  and making her suddenly strong.

@ baduy: thank you for all of your translations and insights :)
It helps us a lot. I have been reading your posts for a while but I haven't logged in.

I can't wait for next week to watch ep 7. The love rival between Jinhoo and Minki will start !!

I'm learning Korean on internet too, but it seems to be going nowhere, perhaps because I don't have enough time and inspiration.
Could you please recommend some websites or sources to learn it? Thank you ^^

qZ6d6e1376774178.jpg

Character profile for Min Ki.

Kang Min Ki

I've never ever envied your riches. But I'm not going to let you have Jeong Soo.

Head of Design at the Shinwha Group

The son of Myeong Shik, who was a technician in the Shinwha Group's bag factory. After his father was killed in a fire, he was able to to study at the Parsons Design School thanks to being sponsored by Choi Soo Ho.

His tireless efforts and innate design skills have made him Soo Ho's indispensible right-hand man. From head to toe he's a gentle, caring and considerate person.

Within the company, all the female employees, comparing him to Jin Hoo, regard him as the absolute top hottie and he sets their hearts fluttering. All the same, because of his origins, no matter how cool he looks, he isn't a "top-notch item", and he's the object of slighting remarks.

Though he sincerely loved Seo Hyeon, she betrayed him, and when he learned her motives for doing so, he was deeply hurt. Jeong Soo, who doesn't care about what background people come from, heals his wounded heart and gives him the courage to love again.

Although he is grateful to Choi Soo Ho for supporting him as if he were his own child, his indebtedness to him has always weighed on his heart. But when he comes to love Jeong Soo, he has all the more reason for taking Choi Soo Ho's side.

Love Line

Suddenly, hearing Jeong Soo's bright laughter, he was surprised to find a feeling returning that he thought had been destroyed for ever: love.

The way that Jin Hoo looks at Jeong Soo bothers him. Jin Hoo puts on a show of being mean to Jeong Soo, but knowing Jin Hoo's private feelings better than anyone else, Min Ki knows that's just Jin Hoo's way of showing his fondness for her. He's never ever felt envious of all that Jin Hoo has, but where love is concerned, he doesn't feel disposed to give way to him.

i have a question about JS - i thought aunty promised to treat JS nicely and have her go to school but apparently she never went? Was there a reason for that because there was all that money saved for school and with KH going to US the money wasnt spent on JS? 

Good morning everyone! Ep6 with Eng sub is now out on DramaFever and GoodDrama. I'll watch ep5 and 6 shortly.. Enjoy watching! :)
dramafever.com/drama/4308/6/Her_Legend/?ap=1

dramafever.com/drama/4308/6/Her_Legend/?ap=1

@baduyThank you so much for all of your translations and explanation and insights!! >:D<I'll try to edit the pic today to put your translation and to have full credit of it. Like what I did on @jina_bing_bang's translations. :)

Archived