[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Guest niknokdagu425

LOL i keep replaying the shadow show scene my poor Seung nyang she will have her both hands get sprained by their grip.i want to spank those two men, you guys be gentle to my Empress or else i will both shoot you with my crossbow hehehe

JP said: I'm confused why some people think Ta Hwan is the main male character/the man Seung nyang is going to fall in love with. The rule of thumb (as in, almost always the case) with kdramas is that the main male lead is the man the main female falls in love with. That almost NEVER changes. And the main male lead here is Joo Jin Mo. Why? Because objectively speaking, Joo Jin Mo is an A-list actor, long established in the korean drama and movie industry. In comparison, Ji Chang wook, while I like him, and think he is promising and talented, simply doesn't have the "clout" in the industry to be headlining or to be the main male lead of a long, big budget 50 episode sageuk like this. (He did do Warrior baek dong soo but that's because the main male character was supposed to be a teenager) Joo Jin mo would have never agreed to do this kdrama if he was playing second fiddle. Therefore, although we know from history that Seung nyang will marry Ta hwan and become his empress, it is HIGHLY probable and almost guaranteed that the man she will actually love is Wang yoo. I find the shipping wars and such amusing, but the fandom (especially fandom in abroad and not in Korea) rarely effect who gets first billing/is the main character.

Guest ghollygina22

Come on writers! What is going on?  :-?? Why do I feel like the tv show is about the Yuan Emperor?  Joo Jin Mo and Ha Ji Won… sigh please don't waste their awesomeness! 
:-w Anywho!  WANG YOO YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO HOT!!!!  No shame I was giddy and giggling all day at work just thinking about him!  Goodness!  I wanted to be Seung Nyang so bad!  Hehehe… I'm still giggling!!!! :x

And right on cue... a new BTS of the shadow puppet scene!

So this clip shows 14 December 2013 on the masthead.  Good to see that they're 10-12 days ahead in filming-to-air date.  I dread the episodes and pray for the cast and crew once live-shoot starts up in earnest. :(

I'm confused why some people think Ta Hwan is the main male character/the man Seung nyang is going to fall in love with. The rule of thumb (as in, almost always the case) with kdramas is that the main male lead is the man the main female falls in love with. That almost NEVER changes. And the main male lead here is Joo Jin Mo. Why? Because objectively speaking, Joo Jin Mo is an A-list actor, long established in the korean drama and movie industry. In comparison, Ji Chang wook, while I like him, and think he is promising and talented, simply doesn't have the "clout" in the industry to be headlining or to be the main male lead of a long, big budget 50 episode sageuk like this. (He did do Warrior baek dong soo but that's because the main male character was supposed to be a teenager) Joo Jin mo would have never agreed to do this kdrama if he was playing second fiddle. Therefore, although we know from history that Seung nyang will marry Ta hwan and become his empress, it is HIGHLY probable and almost guaranteed that the man she will actually love is Wang yoo. I find the shipping wars and such amusing, but the fandom (especially fandom in abroad and not in Korea) rarely effect who gets first billing/is the main character.

Hmmmm i disagree Ji Chang Wook's Smile Dong Hae's rating is almost 40+% and i really can't remember anything from JJM except frozen flower w/c i didn't have the guts to watch. JCW is pretty amzing actor too, he's been doing lead roles in dramas more than JJM

@rinchan76

I agree with what you said.

I do feel thought that ultimately are setting up a scenario where making the choice is unclear. This is just my assumption. X_X

At the moment what is clear is that SN will do anything for WY, and he will always be her first choice. Look at how she runs to him after he was wounded, protocol of the palace be darned. The things she does for the Emperor were all done not because she wants to, but because she has no choice. I do think that the tender moment in the bridge where she comforted the prince was the only thing she did that was voluntary on her part, and this is also a turning point in their relationship.

I see similarities and differences in the two relationships. The differences has been discussed many times. But, there are similarities also. Both relationship started with SN seemingly at odds with the two male leads (With WY, when SN was still the jackal; and with TH, when SN thought TH was pretending to be the Emperor's brother); then eventually it developed into friendship. Both has one major obstacle they need to hurdle before they ultimately become the love of SN's life. I don't think WY is there yet, although I do think that he has a better chance than the emperor. If the Yuan's are not defeated, then SN and WY will have no chance of being together. On the other hand, the major obstacle between TH and SN is the fact that TH indirectly caused the death of SN's father. We're seeing both major obstacles as being nearly defeated. El Temor is slowly crumbling. So there's a huge chance for SN and WY to be together again in Goryo. On the other hand, the obstacle between TH and SN is slowly being overcome, subtly, with all the cute/light scenes that they have.

So what will happen next? Will WY and SN ever leave the palace together and live the carefree life in Goryo? Will TH ultimately make SN understand the motive behind his betrayal? That remains to be seen. But at the moment, I am enjoying the love triangle immensely!

I don't think we can ever see a light moment between WY and SN, not when they are in the palace. I think at the moment, we will see yearning and longing while we will continue to see light moments with SN and TH.

8->

JP said: I'm confused why some people think Ta Hwan is the main male character/the man Seung nyang is going to fall in love with. The rule of thumb (as in, almost always the case) with kdramas is that the main male lead is the man the main female falls in love with. That almost NEVER changes. And the main male lead here is Joo Jin Mo. Why? Because objectively speaking, Joo Jin Mo is an A-list actor, long established in the korean drama and movie industry. In comparison, Ji Chang wook, while I like him, and think he is promising and talented, simply doesn't have the "clout" in the industry to be headlining or to be the main male lead of a long, big budget 50 episode sageuk like this. (He did do Warrior baek dong soo but that's because the main male character was supposed to be a teenager) Joo Jin mo would have never agreed to do this kdrama if he was playing second fiddle. Therefore, although we know from history that Seung nyang will marry Ta hwan and become his empress, it is HIGHLY probable and almost guaranteed that the man she will actually love is Wang yoo. I find the shipping wars and such amusing, but the fandom (especially fandom in abroad and not in Korea) rarely effect who gets first billing/is the main character.

rinchan76 said: Thinking back on the first episode on SN-TH wedding, we saw SN smile thoughtfully at her parents' rings, as well as send TH a smile, but upon seeing WY there is sadness. This kinda of gives me the feeling that WY is the one that got away, but that doesn't mean SN does not love TH.
One of the interesting topics kdramas tackle in terms of romance is the first love x ultimate love complex. It has often been phrased in different dramas/manhwas that first love is called first love because it is meant to end. In this I think they mean it is called first love because it indicates that there is then also a second love, or else what would be the point in doing rankings. However as a side note there are people who marry their "first love" and in this it can be called a misnomer and the should say they married their "only love". 
I feel like this sentiment,( which is not a rule to kdramas, since there have been many in kdramas who have had only one love) maybe a guiding point in this love triangle development, because I have seen before where dramas have set up a triangle and the girl leaves her first love for the guy that came in last. It is one possible explanation for why we have SN being in love now with WY where as we also see growth and transitions within TH and SN relationship. This may also be why TH and SN have so many cute scenes, because we need an explanation as to why she doesn't hate after all that transpired in earlier episodes. Also maybe the writers assumed that many of us would swallow SN-WY being in love because they are in a generally amicable relationship, and have often relied on each other for support. Since the situation is ripe for them to fall in love, the writers told us it happened, because this is an easier story to sell. However TH-SN relationship would be harder to sell if the writers did not put in these scenes that they have together. 
The development of TH-SN relationship may indicate she will love him towards the end, I don't know how much though, but she should at least care for the one she will marry, because it would be too miserable for SN if she doesn't. 

I saw the episode! I love how TH decided to be strong and take action! However, seriously, SN, you really could not hear what he said just because he blocked your ears with his hands? Lol i do not believe you. TN was cute and funny saying that WY was into her and because of that TH is jealous. XD i felt bad for her when she thought the shadow play was for her. D: it was easy for her to think that it was for her. How could she think he was into another girl just after the Lady Park incident? I really love the WY scenes. I could feel his emotions. I really like that he starts to feel jealous. DK was funny and pitiful ordering SN to tell him if TH looks suspicious. Either he is stupid or he just wants to talk to her, but does it wrongful way. Anyway, i am sure Lady Noh knows where is the letter, but too mad to speak or does not fully trust SN yet. After all, they just met. I love the ending scene. TH was either stupid or bold. Maybe both. I mean i know he wants SN to see the shadow show, but TN is right next to you. If she notices, then it would cause serious problem. However, i still scream with joy when TH boldly tried to hold SN's hand. But i understand why SN didn't want to. After all, it was little forward for SN and WY was there and TN was there too. I seriously love the part where WY got so jealous that he hold SN's hand, then i seriously screamed of joy when TH also hold SN's hand when he saw WY holding her hand! I think that was most climactic love triangle tension moment so far in the drama.

jeenee said:

I'm confused why some people think Ta Hwan is the main male character/the man Seung nyang is going to fall in love with. The rule of thumb (as in, almost always the case) with kdramas is that the main male lead is the man the main female falls in love with. That almost NEVER changes. And the main male lead here is Joo Jin Mo. Why? Because objectively speaking, Joo Jin Mo is an A-list actor, long established in the korean drama and movie industry. In comparison, Ji Chang wook, while I like him, and think he is promising and talented, simply doesn't have the "clout" in the industry to be headlining or to be the main male lead of a long, big budget 50 episode sageuk like this. (He did do Warrior baek dong soo but that's because the main male character was supposed to be a teenager) Joo Jin mo would have never agreed to do this kdrama if he was playing second fiddle. Therefore, although we know from history that Seung nyang will marry Ta hwan and become his empress, it is HIGHLY probable and almost guaranteed that the man she will actually love is Wang yoo. I find the shipping wars and such amusing, but the fandom (especially fandom in abroad and not in Korea) rarely effect who gets first billing/is the main character.

Oh, also, TH said he will finally learn writing! But to not be noticed by ET, he wants SN's help. He didn't say in detail, but i think he meant her teaching him. That would make another sweet scene. However, i wonder why did he take the curse letter (WY's) from the servant to look at it if he cannot read it? I thought that servant knows that TH cannot read. And TH knew that the letter had only written words and not a picture, so why look at it when he cannot read? Is it just careless mistake of PD and writers? Or am i missing something? Also, Tal Tal was suspicious of TH who so suddenly change his behavior. And i would be too. It was one or two days ago when he was scared of death of ET threatening him. Then suddenly TH orders TT and B to find the blood letter. That looks suspicious. Also, the traitor in the village seems too healthy to die. Lol anyway, he saw the WY's men coming to the village. I foresee trouble coming toward the villagers and WY and his men.