[Drama 2013] The Queen's classroom 여왕의 교실

Guest yeohweping

Guest NEWMARIO

KOREA class="beta mtn" style="margin-top: 0px !important; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font: inherit; font-size: 20px; vertical-align: baseline; font-weight: 500; line-height: normal; font-style: normal; color: rgb(77, 77, 77); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', 'Lucida Grande', Helvetica, Arial, 'Liberation Sans', Freesans, sans-serif; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(251, 251, 251); "'The Queen's Classroom' Finale Party

http://www.viki.com/videos/1008434v-the-queens-classroom-finale-party

cr: viki.com

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, the importance of water in this drama!  This first time I noticed it was the gush pouring from the spout onto a block of cement before going into a drain.  (I found myself asking "wthuh?)  From then on, it's been water, water everywhere - the pool, the dousing in the basement, the rain, the river.  Makes me wonder.

Ma 선생님 certainly is the Big Bully, the biggest of them all.  Therein, for me, lies the awesomeness of this drama.  Because unfortunately, that is what many teachers become, whether they like it or not, in order to "prepare" their students for the "outside" world.  Just see how happy the moms are with the scores Ma has achieved,  oblivious to the venomous personal interactions of their children with one another. 

And brave Ha Na refuses to accept what Ma's (and society's) preparation implies:  isolation from one another in order to succeed at "MY thing", complete absence of solidarity.  Love.  This.  Drama!

@Gasenadi: All that you noted is completely the opposite of the way we approach education here in the United States where (with the possible exception of the advanced placement classes) students are expected to be coddled, placated, and passed from one grade level to the next with zero regard given to passing grades or increased levels of understanding. All of this leaving many ill-prepared for life in the workplace, society or within the family unit. I'll take Teacher Ma's method any day of the week... :)>-

"Being a public school teacher is my mission."  OK, I swooned. 

But as much as I wanted to kiss Ms. Ma for that vocation, I doubt very much her bootcamp methodology would be tolerated in a private institution.  Not by the administration and certainly not by a batallion of moms like Na Ri's.  Na Ri's mom was AGHAST at Ma's references to the 1% - how DARE this uppity public school teacher speak so openly about the class divide!

Like many people who watched that series, I had problems with Teacher Ma's methods.

First -> "If you do everything I tell you to do and stay by my side you'll be safe and rewarded". WTF?
Instead of appeasing tensions and helping the children to make friends, she told them to stay outcasts and kiss her richard simmons. This is initiating them to betrayal of their peers and doing things behind their backs for their own benefits.

Second, the "only 1% of the population is happy and they can do whatever they want and get away with it, don't complain about it!!"
Really? Happiness is all about money and status?? Way to go to instill materialism and inferiority complex in kids, as if they wouldn't be influenced by society later. She should just tell them that working hard is what will make them have better lives.

Humiliating kids in front of their peers. This is cruel and useless.

And the "I only talk with kids who have good grades after class"
...is she serious? She rejected Ha Na when she wanted to talk to her once. WTF? Is she a queen? (lol) She doesn't talk to kids with respect, she address them like she's an empress and they're silly worms. How can kids trust adults then? Is contempt a good way to teach kids? Is it how kids should think they can be talked to?

And, anyone find it a bit odd that kids are told to clean gymnasiums, classrooms and even swimming-pools? This can be dangerous, Ha Na did fall. And any perverted teacher could go and do something bad to her. I also don't understand why children have so many places and opportunities to be alone AND thus bullied. The schools know about bullying but they keep letting the kids without adults around. They like to make them work but they don't care about their safety.

Also, I wasn't that comfortable with the "we forgive you and we even want you to stay around, even if you bullied us!!"
...whatever...I'm all for forgiving but to me it was too easy and systematic in this drama, which makes it less realistic. Too cheesy, in real life kids aren't that cute.

And which teacher would stalk her pupils like that?? lol Teachers have their own lives and families, they don't spend 100% of their time thinking about work. She was creepy. She had good intentions but she was creepy.

Now, I did like this drama. I really liked it. Teacher Ma had convincing facial expressions at times, Ha Na was cheerful and cute and Bo Mi did a good job. Dong Hoo too, really cool kid! But it was clear that those actors were teenagers, you could see their boobs lol And they were tall.

@robbo4 - Greetings!  As a student of the public school system - United States and Puerto Rico- and as a retired public school teacher in both places, I've witnessed many teaching styles, before AND after No Child Left Behind.  I've also read, seen and listened to all the negative evaluations of the US system.  So I won't delve into a discussion of such a complex subject here.

What has captivated me about this drama is how WELL it captures the essence of public school education - teaching/learning occurs in that tiny world of the classroom, between students and teachers.  And how any well-prepared teacher HAS to sacrifice personal life and health to achieve what that inidividual teacher has decided will be the "mission" - irrespective of the "system", the tests scores, the laws of the land.  I have had such excellent teachers and have also had them as mentors throughout my career.

I applaud Ma Seonsaengnim's adamant defense of the students voices and their absolute right to exercise them before parents, other adults, friends and yes, even the teacher.  Her call to think for themselves and confront the pervasive messages of fear that would surround them has made her one of the most memorable drama characters of my brief kdrama addiction. 
=D>

Guest pelicancharm

Teacher Ma's methods were definitely extreme, but behind each of her method was a lesson for the children. I'm not sure whether I'm saying this because of the benefit of hindsight, but perhaps  her method could have only worked, when she aroused the children to rebel against her extreme ways?
At first, as seen from the first few episodes,there was a lot of lip service from the kids on rebelling against Teacher Ma. That's because everyone had their own reason to rebel, which was basically to take of their own self interest etc. 
Teacher Ma's methods broke down that system, perhaps which was created by their parents, social conditioning and forced them to think outside the box, especially for Ha Na. She was already a good girl, with such a good heart and tremendous self worth and dignity. But all of that comes to naught, if those values of hers, is not put to the test. Though poor thing, she suffered a lot. 

Guest gerbera

K-drama is not a realistic medium, it's fairy-tale, sometimes dark and grim, myth really, that is what gives it universal appeal. I think this artificial aspect is a much more effective way for an audience to deal with the myths they live by, question them, see them clearer. It's a more difficult process in a realistic approach. The melodrama in k-drama can lead to emotionally charged scenes of some power, QC had more than you usually get in a 50 episode drama.

Teacher Ma may not be realistic, but we can imagine her, which is more important. And  the things she wants the kids to learn - community, empathy, understanding, forgiveness, redemption - she accomplishes.

• 1 month later...
Guest pelicancharm

Here's a bump for this thread.
Headsno2 love call for The Queen's Classroom.
DRAMA RECAPSQueen’s Classroom: Series Reviewby HeadsNo2 | October 20, 2013 | 25 Comments
Queen’s Classroom isn’t the sort of drama we’re used to seeing on primetime television, which is perhaps why it flew under the radar when it premiered on MBC earlier this summer. Even though it pulled in low but decent numbers (managing to at least beat out Sword and Flower when the two were in direct competition), the lack of buzz surrounding this show is understandable—with no central romance and a cast comprised mostly of child actors, becoming a hit just wasn’t in the cards. And that’s okay, because what matters most after a drama has come and gone is whether it will stand the test of time, and I have no doubt that Queen’s Classroom will.
For more, please go here

• 4 weeks later...

Not that anything can detract from this wonderful drama, but there is a year-end poll of Best Drama 2013 on this website: http://www.koreandrama.org/?p=30509

And, Queen's Classroom has very few votes.  (Naturally, the idol dramas are getting all the votes.)

Just an FYI~

In voting that really does matter, both of our little female and male leads, Kim Hyang-gi ('Shim Ha-na') and Chun Bo Geu ('Oh Dong-Goo') won best child actor at the 2013 APAN Star Awards (Daejeon Drama Festival).  =D> =D> =D> =D> <:-P

Even though i'm a little bit late...still want to congratulate our Ha Na and Dong goo...they both trully deserved... <:-P <:-P

Pray for our teacher Ma will get better result in MBC Drama Awards 2013... [-O< [-O<

If this article can be believable, Go hyun jung had been nominated for Daesang Awards... :-bd

http://koalasplayground.com/2013/11/16/lee-seung-gi-and-ha-ji-won-both-up-for-2013-mbc-drama-award-daesang/

Archived