[Drama 2013] ♔ The Heirs/Inheritors ♔ ♕ 왕관을 쓰려는자, 그무게를 견뎌라-상속자들 ♕

Maja

miya_fangirl

said:

I just wonder why some fans (not necessarily here) are shocked about the Rachel x Hyo Shin couple? No

, they weren't hastily put together by the writer at the last minute. KES has been throwing very cute hints our way about this OTP for a while now (Rachel's smiles, HS's concern/attention towards her, the ease of their interactions~)

Since it seems like he might end up in the hospital again (sigh), I for one hope that Rachel will be his strength to help him face those cold parents of his, and to give up on an impossible crush on KW's girl lol. Everyone deserves to find love one day 

:x
(Esna's biting my lower lip is currently playing on my iTunes~ seems fitting to this post ^^~)

guadi said: Well, I wouldn't compare Heirs to Gatsby if there weren't legit reasons to do. With the show giving us Gatsby hints here and there, that's why this comparison is brought up. It didn't come out of nowhere. Of course, Heirs is not the exact replica of Gatsby, if that were the case, we would have a case of plagiarism on our hands. But Heirs could be "inspired" by Gatsby. 
Kim Tan is not the exact character of Jay Gatsby, but there are some traits of his that resemble Jay. And If we compare Heirs and Gatsby from a thematic perspective, there are some similarities. 
Kim Eun-sook has used a lot of literary references in this show, Gatsby is among those works. 
Here are things that I find similar,-Class - Old Money vs. New Money. The superficial world of the upper class-First Love - to the point of obsession-Dream or lack thereof - sometimes a dream becomes illusive, it's impossible to catch-What is dream? and What is reality?-Geography - America vs. Korea (the former, Tan and ES are on equal ground; the latter they are separated by class barriers)
These themes and motifs exist in both works (with some divergence), but KES doesn't have to follow the same plot lines, with the exact same characters and motivations. She could deconstruct those characters, use some elements she found interesting and add in her own creativity. 
Kim Tan is not like Gatsby because he's not amoral; didn't do illegal stuff to gain wealth, etc...But he did reinvent himself in the sense that he came clean about his illegitimate status; gaining himself a new identity. He loves ES. She's his "everything" at this moment. He said it himself, "“I lost everything. I only have you now. I can’t lose you too. Please, don’t hurt where I am not. If you do that, I will really go crazy." What do we make of a person who says something like this? Does he not bear any resemblance to Gatsby and his love for Daisy?
For Eun-sang - she's not like Daisy in that she doesn't desire wealth and luxury. She didn't come from money like Daisy. In fact ES is the opposite of Daisy in almost every way. She started as someone seeking wealth; even escaped to America to reach that goal, but she failed. Gradually, she changed to what exactly I'm not sure yet. But much like Daisy, Eun-sang is being pursued by not one, but two men. Much like Daisy, her character is narrated through the lens of others, instead of on her own. How many times have we complained that we want to see ES grow independent of other characters? She's very complex and hard to read because we can't pin point her thoughts and actions. She's always reacting to the circumstances around her. Of all the characters in Gatsby, Daisy is actually the most difficult one to analyze. 
I'm not comparing Tan and ES to Jay and Daisy like for like, but I can't deny that there are some parallels or reverse parallels between these characters. 
P.S. Yes, I've read The Great Gatsby. I think every high school kid in America has to read that book.

Of course Heirs isn't exactly like The Great Gatsby, because that would be copywriting. It's called building on top of already set concepts, tweeking it, adding twists to conventions, taking a classic and adding your own punch to it. Perhaps writer kim hated that gatsby didn't end up with daisy, so she is writing what she thinks should have happened and showing it with Kim Tan and Eun Sang.

Let's say Kim Tan isn't Gatsby, because well he isn't. But the similarities between these two are definitely there undeniably. Kim Tan's dream is Eun Sang just like Gatsby's dream is Daisy. Gatsby deludes himself into believing that his dream was possible, and so he holds onto it for many years; he goes above and beyond to make it come true. And I'm beginning to think Kim Tan as well is living in an illusion. In his head he sees himself with Eun Sang at the end, so he builds on top of this image, doing everything in his power to grab hold of that dream.

In episode 16, Kim Tan says to Eun Sang that he thought she was holographic, not real. I think he means more than just her physically being there, in a sense, we can look at this as him referring to his dream. She seems unreal and intangible. Perhaps that is why he is so protective, because he sees her gradually getting further away, so he keeps insisting for her to take his hand, that way, he'll know she is close by. Perhaps that is why he always hugs her, almost as if he wants to assure himself that this hopeless dream of his is real. He pulls her into his room and he embraces her into a tight hug. If he can hold her, what makes anyone say she isn't real? She is real.

But while Kim Tan might possess a lot of Gatsby's characteristics, that does not determine his fate. Somewhere, sometime ago, Gatsby made a mistake that caused him to drive off in the wrong direction. Perhaps it was leaving Daisy, it's not like he had a choice at all, but that's where everything went wrong. That is why we won't get a time jump, because for the years Kim Tan will be spending trying to fight for his dream, Eun Sang will have left a long time ago just like Daisy did when Gatsby went off to war. Kim Tan then becomes another tragic hero like Gatsby.

The difference between Gatsby and Kim Tan is the person they're fighting for. I believe Daisy was never Gatsby's to begin with, she was never going to marry him. Her love for him didn't go beyond the capacity it takes to leave her luxurious life. However, I believe Eun Sang sincerely loves Kim Tan and she is his to keep.

When you think about it, all dreams are illusions, what matters is if you can make something real out of it. Gatsby couldn't but that doesn't mean that Kim Tan can't.

If the little mermaid married the prince what makes anyone say Gatsby can't get Daisy?

I love how the discussion turned to be some literary subject ! That just show how much the writer is talented and how the characters are more complex than we thought... 

Here to cheer us up because "No Preview Sunday" is killing our brain cells :))
BaZxiDvCEAA1p0d.jpg:large
Why did they make his face look so pretty and adorable like that? :))
(via jenna0916)
As I watched Tan crying I remembered this quote by Squidward from SpongeBob - Love is a weird thing like...you just pick a human and you’re like yes i like this one; I’ll let this one ruin my life forever! ;)) Sounds about right :P

Someone may have already posted this, so if this is the case, I apologize in advance.
Did you guys know there's a Heirs Manwha out there? I was searching on kyobo website, you know... to casually see if there's any official licensed book or something, and look, look:

Capture_d_cran_2013_12_01_20_19_53.png

It's only in ebook format and there's no additional content (sadly)... It's simply stills from the show with dialogues.
Capture_d_cran_2013_12_01_20_20_33.png

Source

tumblr_mx3rxmVJPY1qchnjco3_250.giftumblr_mx3rxmVJPY1qchnjco2_250.gifIf I didn't know better I would think that this scene was REAL and captured by a passerby in real life who thought this couple was cute and just had to video then. They look soooooo natural and comfortable with each other. One of my favourite scene 8-> 8-> 8->

Lacylee said: tumblr_mx3rxmVJPY1qchnjco3_250.giftumblr_mx3rxmVJPY1qchnjco2_250.gifIf I didn't know better I would think that this scene was REAL and captured by a passerby in real life who thought this couple was cute and just had to video then. They look soooooo natural and comfortable with each other. One of my favourite scene 8-> 8-> 8->

I don't know what "Great Gatsby" is and I probably don't wanna know. This is The Heirs, why compare to other dramas? Also, I don't think the fans even know the ending, because they didn't film it yet so they're just assuming/guessing so it's safe not to listen to them and be paranoid.

"Kim Tan was rejected and was shot to death." Are you friggin kidding me? That is too violent for a teen-idol drama, especially with all the lovey-dovey scenes they've been feeding us, it's impossible for such a tragic/sad ending like that.

As for the BTS pics, yes Young Do found Eun Sang first, so what? He saw her first too, in episode 1. But Kim Tan still gets the girl. Why? Because he's the main lead. Eun Sang was meant to be for Kim Tan only. He claimed his property since episode 2, when he asked her "perhaps, do I like you?" Also, the love triangle was over at the end of episode 14 when Kim Tan & Eun Sang showed the whole world classmates their love for each other, despise their social backgrounds.

Young Do may still have feelings for Eun Sang but I really like how she made it clear that she's in love with Kim Tan and her eyes are on him only. I can't stand indecisive characters that cannot decide who they like or what they want. Young Do is probably helping her as a friend and tells her to go back to Seoul with Kim Tan (yes girlfriend, the devil is right this time hehe.) Of course she will say no, because she doesn't want to make his life harder but little did she know, his life was better because she was in it. Anyways, I still hope for a happy ending for our OTP. Fighting~

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies,
It's compromise that moves us along."

tumblr_mwyhqazjMs1ql66nmo1_500.gif
Credit: to owner, tyvm!

Love said: I don't know what "Great Gatsby" is and I probably don't wanna know. This is The Heirs, why compare to other dramas? Also, I don't think the fans even know the ending, because they didn't film it yet so they're just assuming/guessing so it's safe not to listen to them and be paranoid.

Guest lychnobite

Annyeong chingus. This is my first post. First of all if I mistake in my writings I'm sorry in advance for limited english. But I wanted to share my opinion too. So please correct me, thanks. I have followed you for a long time, long pages. Your comments are always inspirational, funny and warm. The Heirs warmed up all of us in these freezing winter days, made to believe a pure love. I wanted to attach few things about references in last pages. In the beginning of the drama Writernim did reference to novels. One of these was Midsummer Night's Dream. This reference reflected Eun Sang's point of view to happenings. But this story told us: this love is possible. And Midsummer Night's Dream wasn't valid for them. Therefore we gradually understood that Eun Sang did mistake in this view. So step by step she begun to believe, came near Kim Tan and hold his hand. Also Writernim did reference to The Great Gatsby in order to reflect that one who don't believe their love like Rachel do. Because she narrated the story to us in this way. It was not a real fact, it was just Rachel's comment. This reference won't be valid too and Rachel's approach is will be mistaken. Because encounters like this always don't end up badly in life. I took or wanted to understand these hints and references in this way. Despite all obstacles and difficulties, I hope Eun Sang and Kim Tan will hold on to each other again and Young do will find out his mother's whereabouts too. Fighting and have fun!  :x

I am worry of  Great Gatsby also yes I want happy ending but Shin hye worries me in her answer about who will you choose KT Or YD ?? in Radio programme so I am afraid from the future I hope my mind won't go far away 
I hope KES disappoint our working minds.