[Drama 2013] TV Novel Samsaengi TV소설 삼생이

creidesca

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The turning point for Sam Saeng was when she found out that it was Dong Wu who went onto the mountain and found her when her own father kicked her out in the dead of winter.  I will never forgive Moo Ryong for doing that to a twelve year old girl.  Then the great Ji Sung saw a nearly frozen girl on the doorstep of the pharmacy and sought to convince his parents to make her a maid.  For years Sam Saeng thought that Ji Sung saved her from freezing to death on the mountainside.  Later Moo Ryong further punished Sam Saeng by not choosing her as his disciple when he thought that Ki Jin would benefit from the choice. Maybe those shortcomings caused Moo Ryong to die early.

Further remember that in episodes in the 70s, Dong Wu tried to convince Sam Saeng to try to bring Ji Sung back even if it meant that he would lose out to Ji Sung.  He wanted to see Sam Saeng happy no matter whom she chose.  He never gave Sam Saeng an ultimatum as Ji Sung did.

The piggyback ride Dong Wu gave Geum Ok when she sprained her ankle while looking for Ji Sung was too late.  He had given Sam Saeng a piggyback ride ten years earlier.  The first piggyback ride is the one that counts.  On that same trip Dong Wu offered Geum Ok his hand to help her down the mountainside on the way back.  Sam Saeng refused the offer of Ji Sung's hand.  Maybe Sam Saeng did not like that muddy mouth kiss after all.  Ji Sung and Geum Ok are much alike.  They each ran away from home when they did not get what they wanted.  In each case, Sam Saeng came to the rescue.

Guest Fdfd Sadfs

class="title" style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: 20px; color: rgb(17, 17, 17); margin: 0px; height: 40px; overflow: hidden; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"Watch [ENG] TV Novel – Sam Saeng Ep 55http://www.kshow.tv/drama/eng-tv-novel-sam-saeng-ep-55/

Dr Bong did not throw SS out of the house in the dead of winter when she was 12 years old.  He told her that she could not continue living in his house as their maid.  He did not expect her to leave so suddenly in the wee hours of the morning without a word to anyone.  He was upset and worried when he found out that she had left.  He told DW (or the nanny) that he thought SS could leave after winter.  Later SS confirmed this when she said that she knew it was not the Dr’s intention to throw her out in the dead of winter but she thought there was no point continuing to live in that house.  Dr Bong was relieved to hear that SS found a job in wooden’s house and later, begged In Soo to keep her on as the family maid after KJ told In Soo about the curry incident.

Everyone has left the party  and my response to @funi’s question may be too late.  

I think SS had always liked DW but didn’t realise the dept of her feelings.  She was distracted by JS good looks.  DW asked her why she could easily call JS ‘oppa’ but called him “Mr Park” for years.  She struggled to answer that question.   I took that as one of the indications of SS’ real feelings for DW. 

SS once asked JS when/why did he fall out of love with GO.  She said he had always loved GO and then it seemed so sudden that his feelings changed.  I don’t agree with comments that he stopped loving GO because he saw her for who she really is.  He gave a vague ‘feelings change’ crap.  I think SS knew that JS never fell out of love with GO.  He remained angry with GO for his perceived rejection by her.  One, when he went up to talk to her and she told him she was not in the mood to talk and stormed off.  Two, he saw that she had smashed the record that he gave her.  I think it was @funi or @timsha who said that JS is a little guy who has never learnt to really love and forgive.  It took him years to ask GO why she smashed that record.  Then she told him that her world fell apart that day.  And all these years, he was thinking that everything was just about him!   GO tried to tell him several times but he said it was in the past and his future was with SS.   He claimed to have suddenly fallen in love with SS when all the while he felt pity for her.  His feelings of love for SS only came to surface to fill the void left by GO! 

It was JS who convinced DW that SS would not choose DW.  The little prick had the cheek to tell DW that he was standing in their way.  That it was not wanting to hurt DW that was holding SS back from going  to JS.  It was the same day that GO told him she was releasing the hope she had that they would get back together.  SS saw GO kiss DW (or so she thought) and was very upset.  Why would she have been upset if she was going to choose DW?  DW gave her up so she could be happy.  JS wanted her for his own ego. 

When JS and SS had their first ‘official’ date at the park.  JS was early and was already seated at a park bench.  SS took a deep breath, shrugged her shoulders, and pasted a smile on her face before she walked up to JS.  I was more than ever convinced that JS was not her first choice.

@gene71632’s recaps were simply fantastic!  But sometimes you have to see the episode for yourself.  You can’t translate facial expressions and tone of voice.  So I am not really bothered about the ending.  Yet.  I might change my mind after I have seen it. Need to see DW and SS facial expressions and tone of voice when they talk about why she chose him!  Have been watching kdramas for several years now and have grown accustomed to the weak & rushed ending.  It’s like the writer(s) can’t wait to say good-bye to the actors! 

@O I too was convinced that SS's choice was DW, then fate played its hand and she settled for JS after witnessing the 'kiss' between GO/DW and also DW himself gave her the cold treatment & refused to hear her out after he witnessed that kiss SS and that unwashed dead wood had in the mountains.

But I am upset that right up to the end DW is still unsure of SS's love for him and she is not being forthright with him, giving an answer like 'u are the one who is always there for me' (my understanding of the answer she gave for choosing him) is not exactly what DW (nor I) was hoping to hear her say.

In the end I felt sorry for DW for marrying SS.

After reading @O and @timsha, one more bad mark for wooden.  Lucky for him, drama over.  In end, he with girl just like him.  Both self-centre.  And GO good luck... any wrong thing, Mama Wooden will kill you with her own hand.

Now I read what you both wrote, I also remember something.  SS not thinking to go after wooden. It is stupid old man who send her there.  Bad mark for DD also!  Pity he die.  At end, he should live in same house with wooden and GO and make their lifes miserable.

@timsha, Korean - Asians not know how to say "I love you".  Only youngsters today but they say too often, to too many people and word love has no meaning today.  Olden time if marry someone, sacrifice for them is show "ILY".  No need to say.  Even if love him, SS will never say marry DW because love him.  But I agree and I also upset because look like she marry DW for security, not love.  Like GO want DW for security, not love.  Two stupid women. Only real man from start to end of show is DW.

@O At the end of Episode 15, Dr. Bong said, "Get out of this house."  There were no qualifiers or conditions.  A twelve year old child would take the  instructions literally.  The doctor did not say, "Leave when it gets warmer or leave when you find somewhere else to stay."  If Dong Wu had not found Sam Saeng and carried her down the mountain on his back, she would have frozen to death.  She was so hurt by the doctor's action that she gave up on living.  Dong Wu gave her his scarf and pedaled for miles while carrying Sam Saeng on his bicycle.

I don't know if it is the translation but I've watched enough kdramas to know that you can't take things literally.  When I watched it at the time, I also thought Dr Bong meant it literally.  Then he was not only surprised that she left the house - he was worried for her safety.   Just like "I hate you" is more an expression of anger or disappointment.  Wonder what word they will use when the feeling is stronger than anger or disappointment!  And you're right about how they use "I like you".   I've learnt not to get my hopes up when I hear "ILY" uttered in kdramas!

Sam Saeng told Dr. Bong that she was leaving this house.  It was a continuation of the conversation from the previous episode.  The doctor did not then say, "Wait, Sam Saeng!  It is too cold to leave now.  Wait until spring when you can sleep outside."  The doctor made it very clear that he was not upset about her leaving.  It was Dong Wu's nagging which made the doctor reconsider his actions.  He may have gotten an inkling how deceitful Mr. Sa was.

After one hundred twenty episodes, it still was not clear who the target of the poisoning was.  Ki Jin told Sam Saeng not to fix any food for Geum Ok.  If Geum Ok had not sneaked a taste of the curry from the pot, she would not have been affected.  Either Joo Daek or Sam Saeng would have tasted the curry before serving it. It would be a stretch to think that Sam Saeng would poison herself.  Was it fortuity that Geum Ok became the victim or Ji Kin knew that Geum Ok could not resist the curry?

SS told Dr Bong she would leave the house but didn't say when she was leaving.  When JD ran to tell Dr Bong that SS had left, he looked shocked.  When she asked why she would do such a thing, Dr Bong said it was because he had kicked her out. 

Meanwhile BC arrives in Seoul to see SS.  When he heard what had happened, he barged into Dr Bong's office and scolded him.  He said SS may be poor and may be a maid but she grew up eating good herbs and did not have to steal GO's medicine.  He also said that SS had eaten a 500 year old ginseng.  Dr Bong's eyeballs almost popped out.  He looked shocked when he realised that SS had told him the truth about that (and possibly wondered what else she had mentioned was true).

Ms Joo had also told Dr Bong that he was mistaken in thinking that SS stole/wore GO's clothes.  Those clothes were given to her by Ms Joo with GO's permission.  The doctor looked visibly upset.

DW and GO were talking about SS when Dr Bong approached them and asked DW if he knew where SS had gone to.  When DW replied that he doesn't know whether SS is alive and the doctor must be held responsible, Dr Bong replied that he had reported her as missing to the police.  He said the police will find her and bring her "home".  DW asked if this means the Doctor will allow SS to live in his house and he nodded his head.  GO looked terrified when she heard this. 

Guest jaderock

G dang seems like many r upset with ending (too common it seems regarding kdramas). I got 39 more epi to go I hope to Buddha that I'm not wasting my time!!!!

O said:

SS told Dr Bong she would leave the house but didn't say when she was leaving.  When JD ran to tell Dr Bong that SS had left, he looked shocked.  When she asked why she would do such a thing, Dr Bong said it was because he had kicked her out

Meanwhile BC arrives in Seoul to see SS.  When he heard what had happened, he barged into Dr Bong's office and scolded him.  He said SS may be poor and may be a maid but she grew up eating good herbs and did not have to steal GO's medicine.  He also said that SS had eaten a 500 year old ginseng.  Dr Bong's eyeballs almost popped out.  He looked shocked when he realised that SS had told him the truth about that (and possibly wondered what else she had mentioned was true).

Ms Joo had also told Dr Bong that he was mistaken in thinking that SS stole/wore GO's clothes.  Those clothes were given to her by Ms Joo with GO's permission.  The doctor looked visibly upset.

DW and GO were talking about SS when Dr Bong approached them and asked DW if he knew where SS had gone to.  When DW replied that he doesn't know whether SS is alive and the doctor must be held responsible, Dr Bong replied that he had reported her as missing to the police.  He said the police will find her and bring her "home".  DW asked if this means the Doctor will allow SS to live in his house and he nodded his head.  GO looked terrified when she heard this. 

BTW, if I were given any acting role (FAT hopes), I would rather play the role of a baddie ... 99% of the time, I'll be enjoying myself bullying other people ... only 1% of the time (or even less), I have to apologize .... I won't even get a smacking.  Good guys have to SUFFER and suffer some more before there's any hope on the horizon. For KJ, he only had to say sorry to just a few people.

I was reviewing the first two episodes of this series.  It seems that Ji Sung was more immature developmentally than either Geum Ok or Sam Saeng at the age of four.  I could not picture Ji Sung walking for miles in the countryside to come home after the war.  Could it be that they used a younger actor to play Ji Sung or used older actresses to play the two girls?  As I mentioned earlier, the age difference between Ji Sung and the two girls was reduced from about four years as a child to just two years as teens and adults.  Yoon Hee kept her same relative age,

According to Kyung Ja, Ji Sung was four years old when the hot water was spilled on Ki Jin's daughter, who was about six months old.  I wonder why Kyung Ja insists that Ji Sung spilled the water when she did it herself while trying to move the tray out of Ji Sung's path.   I guess that she did not want to incur Ki Jin's wrath.  Ji Sung could hardly walk at that time.  Later when the children grew up, Ji Sung is now only two years older than Sam Saeng and Geum Ok.

Speaking of Sam Saeng, I wonder if the name is a play on the word "Samsung," the conglomerate.   The acting president of Samsung Group is Lee Soo Bin, which happens to be same as the name of the actress who plays the teenaged Chang Hee.  And then there is Ji Sung

I disagree that in kdramas we should pay attention to what the characters say and not their intention. As I said, many times things are lost in translation.  And there are many incidents/conversations which the Korean audience seem to view differently from us.  Many things said are not meant to be translated literally. That's the only reason I read kdramas forums paying special attention to posts from Korean audiences. 

As for what Dr Bong said, I think it was meant not to alarm JD.  She couldn't understand why SS left the house in that manner.  Dr Bong himself was shocked when he heard that SS had really left the house.  KJ had painted SS as someone with an overactive imagination/liar who is not satisifed with what the Doctor has given her.  When she told him she ate a 500 yr-old ginseng, he didn't believe her.  When BC said SS had done so, Dr Bong took a closer look at BC and recalled the incident. 

If a doctor cannot remember something from eight years ago, how can he retain the knowledge to remain a doctor?  A five hundred year old ginseng root is not so commonplace that one would not remember anything about it until prompted.  Back during that period doctors remembered all the details about their patients without consulting charts or computer records.  They remembered birthdays of even the grandchildren.  Doctors should be expected to give unequivocal instructions because a misinterpretation could prove fatal.  Since these events are all scripted, all we have are the lines of dialogue.  There are no true meanings beyond the words of script.

Guest cucanne

i still dissapoint about the ending, still hopes that SS and JS have a good ending for their love.....whats wrong with the drama writer?? hiksss....

There are certain conventions in Korean dramas which seem to be followed.
1.  People who fall in love always begin with arguments.  (Rabbit incident with Sam Saeng and Dong Wu)(Bullying incidents with Ji Sung and Geum Ok calling him a coward).
2.  You always give your true love a piggyback ride.
3.  There is always a misunderstanding which breaks them up temporarily.(Sam Saeng and Dong Wu)(Geum Ok and Ji Sung)(Yoon Hee and Chang Shik)(Joo Daek and Moo Ryong).

The only ones who did not go through the ritual were the two from the clinic (Ms. Choi and Jeong Pal).

Ji Sung had no style.  He simply told Sam Saeng that you are mine, let's date.  He even said, if we are bored, should we kiss?  He treated Sam Saeng more as a protégée rather than a girl friend.

é

Archived