[Drama 2013] Incarnation of Money 돈의 화신

Guest nozomikizumi

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in the last ep, CD basically says that he won't go to hell alone. so if he does not get reinstated as prosecutor, lots of people are going to get into trouble. what better way to make him disappear than to have him declared legally insane and locked up?

Guest farstrep

I just realized the source which I got my translations from might be different from others. I haven't double checked mine against theirs but I hope the translations wouldn't be too far off the mark. One thing I notice about this drama is the unexpected twists each episode has to offer. The happiness that I felt in Episode 8 was replaced by foreboding and apprehension at Cha Don's transformation within the 5 years and the direction the drama is veering towards.

Some thoughts on Episode 9 and a bit on Episode 10:

iom_zpsab4fa07b.jpg

Oh. My. Lord. Just as Cha Don is getting all euphoric about becoming a prosecutor, life has to throw him a curve ball. How can Jae In's mother force someone to cough up the money that she herself donated to the orphanage and spent on him in the first place? I doubt she can even successfully file a lawsuit against him should he decide not to return it. Despite the brilliance Cha Don exhibited in apprehending the murderer in the previous episode, he is not so bright here as he agrees to handling her business - private loans.

In retrospect, he is not an ungrateful person and is more than willing to take responsibility for anything directly/indirectly related to him, so I'll give him credit for that.

Initially, he bribed Chief Yang for a chance to stay in Se Kwang's team. Now he knowingly makes the choice of becoming a corrupted prosecutor and even gets to enjoy the luxury of his spoils. If anything, Jae In's mum's proposal has unleashed the money-loving and luxury-indulging side of his as he seeks to accumulate the millions of dollars to repay her. The destruction of his hard-earned money and the danger of losing his prosecutor's license in Episode 10 shows yet another transformation to his character, a darker and more lethal one. I am not sure I am liking this trajectory of his character. Now how far would he go and do to protect himself? Is there really no way back for him? How would the other forces who are eager to protect themselves and their reputations react to Cha Don's ominous threat?

iom91_zps13f8a8db.jpg

Aigoo! Where's this righteous prosecutor I was looking forward to seeing in Episode 9?

It is interesting to note that Cha Don has made a small, though infamous name for himself when Se Kwang pulls the plug and crushes him flat. Now that he is no longer seeing Se Kwang in a positive light, would he be all the more vengeful when he finds out the truth?

There's a quote from Confucius that goes like this: “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.” One for yourself and the other for your enemy. Will this also be the case for our male lead?

iom96_zps42fc9dcb.jpg

It's interesting that the roundtable discussion between Jae In's family and Cha Don takes place with blood red curtains as its backdrop, which is similar to that of the villains. I have a nagging feeling it is deliberate and implies that blood will be shed but who else is going to be sacrificed in the process, other than the gambler-lawyer?

iom92_zpsa3c0f1d8.jpg

iom93_zps3fe06b10.jpg

Everyone thinks he lives in a forsaken house and drives a rundown car.

iom95_zps35fdeae2.jpg

In reality, he lives a more awesome life than anyone can imagine. It's actually quite disturbing to see him leading a double life, lying to Ji Hoo without a bat of the eyelid and even marveling at the fact he has not exposed himself. And the manner in which he smells the wads of notes and plays with them when he gets home reeks of excess yet again. He's simply too drunk and high on the money in his secret vault.

iom94_zpsb7c865bf.jpg

Why does this "holy shrine" resemble the one the Chairman showed him before he died? However, the circumstances have changed. While his father has collated the money to ensure that Cha Don has a comfortable life and does not have to worry about having no money to spend, Cha Don is now accumulating this money to pay off his mountain of debt and regain his freedom. Aish! I don't understand why he can't pay Jae In's mother bit by bit every time he has the money. This brings to mind the Chairman's words, "The owner of the money is not one who earns it, but it is the one who spends it." If only he knows of the Chairman's secret fund for him, will his life veer in another direction? Will the Chairman's money eventually find its way to him?

I wonder if Jae In is going to play a more important role in the future. As of now, she is more of a comic relief to relieve the tension in the drama due to Cha Don's metamorphosis into this darker persona and his actions. Now that her mother is forcing her to return to her work after her plastic surgery, will that be a turning point in her life too? How will her entanglement with Se Kwang over her restaurant come into play in the future? With Cha Don in hot soup over the corruption charges, what will Jae In's mother do? Will she cancel the marriage contract? Or will she help out her future son-in-law? Perhaps she will not do anything but wait and see how it all pans out?

The only true righteous prosecutor left in this drama is Ji Hoo. Can she solve the mystery behind the gambler-lawyer's death? Can she survive this web of complexity and deceit and in the process, vanquish her demons and overcome the accusations of her incompetency? Where would her turning point be?

There are so many questions but almost no answers.

Hello, @farstrep, we were left with so many questions in episode 10.

From the tweet of DCKissgall, I read a talk about a wedding and CD's denial of the accusations before the disciplinary committee.

Don't know what led Cha Don to do this. credit: baidu and wangziyu xu

72663_222987451181293_141037757_n.jpg

Guest farstrep

I initially wanted to combine my comments for Episode 10 and 11 together since they are both related to Cha Don's corruption charge and should be watched as one long episode in itself. But some scenes in the latest episode are quite interesting, so I just want to highlight them before they slip my mind.

iomep10_zpsd0c2e0a0.jpg

At this moment, I am still unable to tell Kwon Hyuk's motivations. He follows Se Kwang's instructions to the T and constantly defers to him but is a very calm person. Too calm to be true. Is that a serenity that comes from working for one of the best prosecutors in Korea? He does not appear to have a definable moral compass as well. Would he be the weakest link that Cha Don can exploit to get to Se Kwang and gang?

iomep103_zps19773990.jpg

iomep101_zpsc0c9b83f.jpg

This guy is way too frightened of Se Kwang and that speaks volumes of Se Kwang's reputation and prowess in bringing the big guns to justice. I suspect Se Kwang has been hot on his tail for the last 5 years but alas! His luck might have run out this time round?

iomep104_zps68c4472e.jpg

Hahaha! Finally, no more pulling of hair and no more slapping of cheeks! K-dramas have too many of those and I'm getting tired of watching them. Instead, the spunky Jae In dumps the mud mask on Angelina's face. This is the only time I like her so much. It's amazing how the writer fleshes out the distinct characteristics of the five women in this drama while the men are mostly defined by their allegiance and morality.

iomep105_zps52ac7405.jpg

I love this solitary shot and in fact, there are several similar shots in this episode and reminds me of the headlines of the newspaper report in an earlier episode that read, "The Lonely Fight of Political Corruption Investigator, Ji Se Kwang". Fighting for justice can indeed be a very lonely enterprise, as I have found out from this drama, especially with Cha Don on the other side now. While everyone around her, including Cha Don, treats the lawyer's death as suicide, she is the lone ranger who does not believe that and is determined to unravel the truth behind it. It is symbolic that justice is embodied in the form of Ji Hoo and brings to mind the Lady Justice, who is depicted in the form of a blindfolded woman, balancing a set of scales in one hand and a sword in the other, and represents impartiality and objectivity. Qualities which Ji Hoo fully embodies.

It's also interesting that Ji Hoo is the only female prosecutor working in what is largely a man's (where most of the big guns are corrupted) world.

iomep102_zps405b8564.jpg

Here's the IOM fan art with the complete and updated cast.(The one I posted recently had question marks on the other boxes because the cast wasn't complete at that time and another actress was supposed to play the part of Jeon Ji Hoo.)   credit: DC Inside

182404_498559250180291_651448238_n.jpg

Thanks for the help, @farstrep.  ^:)^
Oh and about Kwon Hyuk, I find him rather mysterious. You never know what he's thinking.

source:   Incarnation of Money 돈의 화신  FB

Guest lineadeleon

@pechumori, why was cha don made up like a woman in one of your posts?  i was laughing when i saw it.  he is too manly to pretend to be a woman.   :))

Archived