[Drama 2013] That Winter, The Wind Blows/Wind Blows in Winter, 그 겨울, 바람이 분다

Guest sunshine4ever

Guest jjsweeter0211

class="content-title" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1.4em; text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 1px 1px 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; visibility: visible; "Kim Bum, Hard at Work for His Role in “That Winter, The Wind Blows”
jbarky February 21, 2013
Kim Bum, Hard at Work for His Role in “That Winter, The Wind Blows”

It looks like Kim Bum is working hard in order to portray his character on “That Winter, The Wind Blows.” In the drama Kim Bum plays “Park Jin Sung” who is the sworn brother of Jo In Sung’s character. Recently behind the scenes pictures were revealed showing how hard Kim Bum prepares for his role.

In the pictures, Kim Bum is just not letting go of his script as he memorizes, analyzes, and even discusses it.

“That Winter, The Wind Blows” is about Oh Young (Portrayed by Song Hye Kyo) who is the daughter of a corporate mogul. Although she is wealthy and beautiful she has trouble seeing. Oh Soo (Portrayed by Jo In Sung) is a playboy and gambler who lives a meaningless life. In order to pay off huge debt, Oh Soo cons Oh Young by pretending to be her long lost brother. (Oh Soo has the same name as Oh Young) Oh Soo ends up falling in love with Oh Young. 

sjmao201302211520530.jpg

http://www.soompi.com/2013/02/21/kim-bum-hard-at-work-for-his-role-in-that-winter-the-wind-blows/

Oh, I hope they don't both end up blind - too much of a coincidence, too unrealistic and silly. I am reminded of when I was little and watched "Little House on the Prairie" on American TV and they filled the plot with a blind school and a blind romance and my brother teased me by calling it "Little Blind People on the Prairie."

Guest jjsweeter0211

Very beautiful piano cover of  id="watch-headline-title" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: transparent; line-height: normal; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden; "더원(The One) - 겨울사랑(Winter Love)
:x :x :x :x

cr to ThePianoheart

Yes, I was thinking the same thing like you after I finished ep. 5 with sub.  My gosh, I cried when OS told her should he give the poison pill to her so she can die peacefully, oh heartbreaking.

Here the conversation between them.  """OY:  What is this??  OS:  Amulet.  A friend got it for me difficultly.  If I eat when I want to die without anguish or pain or despair in one moment very peacefully.  OY:  There is such a pill??   OS: Yes.   OY:  Then give it to me.  OS:  Should I??  Should I just give that to you???  OY:  Yes."""

My heart really hurt when I hear OS say those words to OY.  In his eyes I saw some water when he said that to her.

wow... just... wow... Ep 5 is like ingenious in multiple accounts. It's amazing how the writer fleshes out even the side characters bit by bit. So SW has this uncanny complex of wanting to be OY's mom, which is proving to be genuine. Heesun's issues been well discussed here, and wait what? Moochul's not a complete evil threat? (that scene with him kicking out the young boy trying to be gangster... I hope that character quality thread there gets developed, not just a sliver to show that Moochul has a heart too) And so... they're all... living, breathing humans. 

OS is human. He had a past that was normal... a boy who found a girl he loved... but was too young and shadowed by his own orphaning to handle the relationship responsibly... a human who made a mistake that's still haunting him (and oh boy... is having to live with the consequences of your own actions so fightening)  OS is the man who "just wants to live"... as OY is the woman who "just lives in her past"...

I said I was going to come back and talk about OS's side of the relationship that's happening between him and OY... In their first encounter, already he was genuine to her-- because she wasn't a woman he was looking out to pimp, but his friend's younger sister. A year later, he's been pushed to a corner and finds this con an option for him to live. But as someone else has pointed out, he has these odd episodes of strong reactions hinting that he was genuinely caring about OY's situation... and I feel that has to do with the first perception he had of OY-- his friend's sister. Yes he's using her so he can live, but that doesn't cut away that link between them. To him, this is him merely "borrowing" his friends sister out of desperation. So he tries to get her to open up to him, he plays his part as her older brother. But the tension between his own survival and what he's doing to his friend (survival vs. friendship) becomes stronger... and the line between him being a fake brother vs. becoming the manifestation of her real brother begins to blur. 

In trying to do his job as a con man, he puts a lot of his attention on her, finds out more about her... and finds the commonalities that make the personal tie between him and her stronger... she can no longer simply be the tool for him to save his hide (not that it could really be like that to begin with, since there already was that tie of her being his friend's sister)... her pain, her loneliness, her having had the beautiful family he could only dream for... but then devastatingly lost, the walls of self-defense she's trying to build... in them he sees his own pain, he teaches her from his own experience that humans can't go on forever isolating him/herself, he feels the need to protect her from the people who took her family away... now she's going to become a WOMAN who's shakes his heart. 

But just like OS "borrowed" the dead Oh Soo's sister... his living on borrowed time. Time and threat for his life boxes him in. How many times has he uttered to OY that he only has 2 month's time left with her? Increasingly he succumbs to the urge to leave her with SOMETHING of her "brother"-- the wind chime... submitting to her touching so she can "know what her brother is like"... he knows how she suffered the absence of her brother, sees how her walls have completely fallen, reverting to her childhood self in an embracing of him being her real brother... but knowing that he'll have to remove this "brother" from her again, be it by his death, or his release from the debt.

His desire to leave OY with SOMETHING reminds me of their first encounter... where even though he had to run away, he still made sure he left OY with something of her brother-- that her brother wrote "I love you" at the end of his letter
... and so we see the parallel here...
he knows that the time where this all ends will come soon... but he makes the extra effort to leave something of "her brother" all around her, do what her brother did not have a chance to do for her like making sure she can live as normally as she could... in hopes of softening the loss

And boy... how amazing it is to see OY become full-blown ALIVE! The writer succeeded in where Nice Guy failed (and don't get me wrong i like Nice Guy a lot too)-- OY's softening and girliness is believable.. because we saw this was how she was before her loss, we see what she became after the loss... so now, what she becomes after finding her brother again is just her recovering back to who OY truly is... unlike Eungi where many people felt "EunGi" the character was wiped away with the amnesia

btw.. has anyone seen the jdrama original? I'm just dying right now to see how the writer of the original handled the side characters and this whole "borrowed-sister" thing was done!! Q__Q

No I dont think so, I think that would be the easiest way out. I think there will be some time gap and then they will meet again, she will recognize him from scent, voice manners (this will be when she will be able to see him).

But maybe he will turn out to get blind too? Is that the twist here? Anyway as long as they are together both alive or dead blind or not blind :)

marie67 said:

No I dont think so, I think that would be the easiest way out. I think there will be some time gap and then they will meet again, she will recognize him from scent, voice manners (this will be when she will be able to see him).

But maybe he will turn out to get blind too? Is that the twist here? Anyway as long as they are together both alive or dead blind or not blind :)

I see 4 possible endings right now:

Both survive and we get a happy ending (rather unlikely)
Soo is the one who dies after teaching her what living really is
Young is the one who dies after giving him a reason for his life
Both die, she from her tumor and he because he takes the pill

Btw, i am probably one of the few who actually likes the gangster as a character. I don´t know whether i identify myself with him because i was in the same role once (nice guy who loved a girl who in turn fell for a "bad boy" who treated her badly, without all the death stuff though) but i think his actions are understandable even if i think that Oh Soo does not deserve that. All characters are frighteningly human in this drama, they all have a deep scar which was caused by other people who in turn were scarred in their life, Oh Soo by his mother who abandoned him under a tree, the gangster who saw his love die right in front of him because of an "richard simmons" (from his point of view), Hee Sun who lost her Unni, Jin-Sung who is constantly hurt by his father and of course Young who is getting hurt by everyone around her, even if that is not their intention. Good and bad are pretty much indistinct in this drama because every character is a victim of this cycle and is thus understandable in its actions which is one of the reasons this drama is so good.

Guest bibidep

Wow now we know the reason OS did not want the baby with HS's sister.  Because he didn't want the baby to be like him.  Haizzzzzz OS too young at that time, he not even mature enough to do the right thing.  Deep down in OS's heart, he is a good person but his life turn out so hard since he was small that why he lived the way we see him now.    

ShinmenTakezo said: I see 4 possible endings right now:

Both survive and we get a happy ending (rather unlikely)
Soo is the one who dies after teaching her what living really is
Young is the one who dies after giving him a reason for his life
Both die, she from her tumor and he because he takes the pill

Btw, i am probably one of the few who actually likes the gangster as a character. I don´t know whether i identify myself with him because i was in the same role once (nice guy who loved a girl who in turn fell for a "bad boy" who treated her badly, without all the death stuff though) but i think his actions are understandable even if i think that Oh Soo does not deserve that. All characters are frighteningly human in this drama, they all have a deep scar which was caused by other people who in turn were scarred in their life, Oh Soo by his mother who abandoned him under a tree, the gangster who saw his love die right in front of him because of an "richard simmons" (from his point of view), Hee Sun who lost her Unni, Jin-Sung who is constantly hurt by his father and of course Young who is getting hurt by everyone around her, even if that is not their intention. Good and bad are pretty much indistinct in this drama because every character is a victim of this cycle and is thus understandable in its actions which is one of the reasons this drama is so good.

Guest kikay14

@hartseeker I totally agree!  You just said what I thought of this drama...
I saw the jdrama ages ago and sadly there is no eng subs available (just ep 1 and 2 are subbed i think).The jdrama has one of the lowest ratings but i remember the writer won an award for that drama.  It just became popular and had a cult following because the actors and writing are really good in this version.  TWTWB follows the jdrama closely with additional twists (like Moochul and Sora story), the drama  was able to convey what is going through the minds of the characters (major and minor characters) how their feelings and thoughts changed.  The jdrama is somewhat a little darker than TWTWB and maybe the advantage of Noh Hee Kyung here is that she is showing how little by little OS fall in love with OY, as in the jdrama you cannot pinpoint exactly when Reiji fall in love with the Oh Young version( i forgot the name sorry).  I also like the jdrama character portrayed by Kim Bum here so I am anticipating Jin Sung here.  Also, the jdrama didn't put much layer in Hee S'un's equivalent but she is a major part of Oh Soo's character realizations.   
I would like to add a part of the ending in the jdrama where the OY equivalent told Reiji something like this:   'I finally found you...it was always you who look for me...you were able to find me everytime..so right now I'll be the one looking for you and dont tell me you don't me.   And it was a happy ending as they embraced each other
So sorry guys I am not good at this as my japanese is limited too.  I just noticed that what is said in the jdrama was put into words through TWTWB ost.

Guest JustPinay

Rating is on the rise because of the awesome chemistry of the leads...they look so great together on the "small screen"  SHG has become even more beautiful...she's fantastic...I just love looking at her beautiful face...