[Taiwanese Drama 2012] Absolute Boyfriend 絕對達令

sugarplum892

Hello AB fans.

Annypooh, thanks for the preview ep 13. I don't know if I can bear to watch it next Sunday. It is going to be sooooo sad unless they change the ending.

Orionofthewolf, I look forward eagerly to your recaps later.

I couldn't wait and rewatched ep12 at Viki, partially subbed. Cried buckets again. This has to be the best remake! It follows closely to the manga yet it is so deeply touching.

Everything about it is awesome...the story...the writing... the acting..the chemistry....the background music..osts...the directing..the editing...the humor...the deep meanings...

Did I say how much I love it?  LOL  I LOVE ABSOLUTE BOYFRIEND! AB rocks!

Hahaha @S_sun .... I was thinking of the same thing. I was telling myself that if I don't watch it then nothing changed. Nite and xf live happily ever after. The end!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest helkel

Heyaaaaaa AB fans! (and to those who are considering watching this series!) First time posting here. I only started watching this last week. Here's my 2 cents after watching 12 episodes so far ^^

I love everything Sci Fi. The genre isn't just all about action and special effects. In my opinion, the best SF explores the human reaction to technology. And along came this Taiwanese TV series, based on the original romantic-comedy/scifi manga series by Yuu Watase.

(Rant: While I am glad that the Taiwanese adaptation realistically set it in the adult world instead of, well you know, having a 16 year old ordering herself a cyborg boyfriend in the original (!!!) manga (no complains here, since its a manga setting), I still could not accept that the 'evil corporation', Kronos Heaven in the story, seemed to be run by a boy who looked barely 12. Whaaaat. It would have been better if all characters were aged PG13 or R21...)

This TV adaptation tells us the story of an 'everyman' protagonist, a girl unlucky in love. She has been rejected by every guy she ever confessed her feelings to and never had a boyfriend before. After the latest rejection, she met a strange-looking salesman who offered to sell her 'everything' that she could ever wish for. Without considering the implications, she took up his offer on a whim and custom ordered the 'perfect boyfriend', who turned out to be a humanoid robot...

Many elements found in other 'idol dramas' are also to be found in AB. Angst, melodrama, unrequited love, the list can go on. AB however, is not just any run of the mill drama. Look beyond those typical shticks and you will find the twisty core of AB: what is love for / from a robot; does a robot really feel; how should we treat a machine that for all outward appearances is fairly human; and what are its impact on our lives and people around us etc.

For me, these issues are also broadly applicable to how we treat other human beings that seem somewhat 'different' from us, as well as animals (pets/farmed meat) and even slaves. Themes like this should spark debate within the viewer, help reframe issues that might have grown worn with time and reinforce a better self-awareness of the myriad light and darkness in the human psyche. In that regard, I really love AB for making me think about those issues. Perhaps, if given more episodes than just thirteen, the story could be fleshed out even better in that aspect.

However, as AB will be bidding us adieu with its thirteenth episode this upcoming Sunday, I'll gladly take what has been given so far. And this TV series didn’t disappoint yet. Okay so it is an 'idol drama' after all and I didn't expect too much to be mixed in with something that was usually classed as 'light entertainment'.

But for starters, whatever effects and stunts that were done were pretty fine considering that it’s on a TV budget. I also feel that the casting was nothing short of great, for I could easily identify with each and every actor in their given role. Their acting was also acceptable, with both leads and the entire supporting cast turning in what was for me, effective performances. In particular, Gu Hye Sun was outstandingly competent at portraying the protagonist's various levels of cute mannerisms and naivety, as well as the heartbroken and teary moments later on in the series. Yet underneath all that cuteness and naivety, lies the protagonist's tender courage in going against convention and accepting the finality of fate, emotions which were also very convincingly portrayed. As AB originated from a Shojo manga, dainty and childlike mannerisms from the characters are not unexpected, Gu Hye Sun was a delight to watch :P

I had walked in simply with the expectations of being entertained and entertaining this series sure is but I'll have to say it was more than just entertaining. Therefore, I urge you to watch it in full soon if you have not and to approach this TV series with an open mind. Like me, you may actually receive more than just simple entertainment too! :)

Heyaaaaaa AB fans! (and to those who are considering watching this series!) First time posting here. I only started watching this last week. Here's my 2 cents after watching 12 episodes so far ^^

I love everything Sci Fi. The genre isn't just all about action and special effects. In my opinion, the best SF explores the human reaction to technology.

And along came this Taiwanese TV series, based on the original romantic-comedy/scifi manga series by Yuu Watase.

(Rant: While I am glad that the Taiwanese adaptation realistically set it in the

adult world instead of, well you know, having a 16 year old ordering herself a

cyborg boyfriend in the original (!!!) manga (no complains here, since its a manga setting), I still could not accept that the 'evil corporation',

Kronos Heaven in the story, seemed to be run by a boy who looked barely 12. Whaaaat. It

would have been better if all characters were aged PG13 or R21...)

This TV adaptation tells us the story of an 'everyman' protagonist, a girl unlucky

in love. She has been rejected by every guy she ever confessed her feelings to

and never had a boyfriend before. After the latest rejection, she met a strange-looking salesman who offered to sell her 'everything' that she could ever wish

for. Without considering the implications, she took up his offer on a whim and

custom ordered the 'perfect boyfriend', who turned out to be a humanoid

robot...

Many elements found in other 'idol dramas' are also to be found in AB. Angst, melodrama, unrequited love, the list can go on. AB however,

is not just any run of the mill drama. Look beyond those typical shticks and

you will find the twisty core of AB: what is love for / from a robot; does a

robot really feel; how should we treat a machine that for all outward

appearances is fairly human; and what are its impact on our lives and people

around us etc.

For me, these issues are also broadly applicable to how we treat other human

beings that seem somewhat 'different' from us, as well as animals (pets/farmed

meat) and even slaves. Themes like this should spark debate within the viewer,

help reframe issues that might have grown worn with time and reinforce a

better self-awareness of the myriad light and darkness in the human psyche.

In that regard, I really love AB for making me think about those issues.

Perhaps, if given more episodes than just thirteen, the story could be fleshed

out even better in that aspect.

However, as AB will be bidding us adieu with its thirteenth episode this

upcoming Sunday, I'll gladly take what has been given so far. And this TV

series didn’t disappoint yet. Okay so it is an 'idol drama' after all and I

didn't expect too much to be mixed in with something that was usually classed

as 'light entertainment'.

But for starters, whatever effects and stunts that were done were pretty fine

considering that it’s on a TV budget. I also feel that the casting was nothing

short of great, for I could easily identify with each and every actor in their

given role. Their acting was also acceptable, with both leads and the entire

supporting cast turning in what was for me, effective performances. In particular,

Gu Hye Sun was outstandingly competent at portraying the protagonist's various

levels of cute mannerisms and naivety, as well as the heartbroken and teary

moments later on in the series. Yet underneath all that cuteness and naivety,

lies the protagonist's tender courage in going against convention and

accepting the finality of fate, emotions which were also very convincingly

portrayed. As AB originated from a Shojo manga, dainty and childlike

mannerisms from the characters are not unexpected, Gu Hye Sun was a delight to

watch :P

I had walked in simply with the expectations of being entertained and

entertaining this series sure is but I'll have to say it was more than just

entertaining. Therefore, I urge you to watch it in full soon if you have not

and to approach this TV series with an open mind. Like me, you may actually

receive more than just simple entertainment too! :)

Lol. Welcome to the club! I told you, you'll like it

Guest orionofthewolf

@helkel just be grateful that they completely took the baby part out of this series. Can you imagine how bad that would have been? At least the COO being a preteenish kid isn't as bad as being a baby commanding an evil company.

@S_sun @annypooh I was like that with American series Dark Angel. The majority of the last episode of the first season was awesome, and then we got the reality ending which totally sucked. So I would always stop the episode before the bad part so I could imagine that what I had wanted to happen REALLY did happen.

Even if it's heartbreaking, I am looking forward to seeing the last moments of our couple. I hope they focus more on that than on Zong Shi's desperate attempt to save Night. While important, I feel the couple spending what little time they have left together is even better than that.

I have a page and a half of my notes translated into a recap. Only two and a half more pages to go. I need to learn to write better.

Guest helkel

@annypooh HEH HEHEHE. <3

@orionofthewolf Babies?! Babies running the Kronos Heaven? *faints* ... very grateful that was taken out then. Was it taken out of the Taiwanese script or did you mean the Taiwanese adaptation didnt include that when they adapted from the original manga? :)

Oohh Dark Angel. I watched that! And while I like S1 very much too, S2 was a little draggy for me. Also, its tone changed from "about Max" to "against Manticore"... I thought it lost focus on writing for a bit there. Given that it was then cancelled after S2, there were no opportunity for the writers to link things back to "when it was interesting to the viewers who lost interest" ... vicious circle unfortunately :(

Go finish up your recap!! I make it an effort to stay away from any form of 'human contact' when I am stuck in a rut while trying to write something. For fear of talking about any and everything except doing what I should be doing: writing that damn article etc. :P I haven read any of your recaps but they do sound good. So I would be visiting your recap site, soon! Maybe during lunch time later if I can find some time for it. FYI: I READ FAST. So you know, I want to read ALL 12 RECAPS, shooo shoooooooo! Outta here and to your notes and writing! Hahaha. j/k. Thanks for taking the effort to recap. Appreciates ^^

Guest cheerkoo1430281614

hello AB fans!!

helkel!

Love your post! So well expressed! Thank you so much!

I wonder if your post can be posted in general soompi board?? I have hard time getting around soompi myself, but I hear from some of you there is such a thing as a general posting board?? I once read a great post by Robbo4 about GHS too.

Thanks to ALL AB fans for such a wonderfull forum...thoroughly enjoyed talking with you all through these last 12 episodes...So sad only one more to go....

Guest helkel

@cheerkoo Thank you :)

I am not aware of the General Soompi board thingy but if you know how to do that, please do the posting on my behalf :)

Dont be sad about AB ending soon! I shall paraphase Riiko's words from the Zettai Kareshi entry on wiki: "We shall smile thru our reluctance at AB ending and forever treasure the characters bought to life on screen, the walk that we took together while watching them and our great memories of the series :)

Guest orionofthewolf

Thanks for the preview with subs lukalee!

And here it is: AB12 Recap

This is totally off topic, but you know when you had to hand write essays in school and you had to have so many pages? Yeah, I was one of the students with really small handwriting. Usually one handwritten page is the equivalent of 1/2 a page typed. Um, mine was nearly a full page typed. This means that those 4 pages of notes I had? Yeah...The recap is LOOOONG!

@helkel I was worried that they would keep the babies running Kronos Heaven in from the manga in this drama. Thankfully they didn't. I am glad that this is one aspect they did not stay true to (just like how they changed it from high school to the adult world - thank god!).

Yeah, the 2nd season of DA was sadly disappointing. I was really hoping for a movie to redeem it as the ending, while somewhat final in a way, was not satisfying enough as it was really open ended. I read the books that were written based on the series and hated that ending, so maybe it's a good thing it was canceled.

I'm great at procrastinating and doing other things while trying to recap, so sometimes it takes a LOT longer than it should :P Hope you enjoy them when you get the time to read them. ^_^

This series is making me want to go back and finish my rewatching of Zettai Kareshi. But I promised my good friend Chani-chan that I would wait for her. Waiting sucks.

Guest cheerkoo1430281614

orionofthewolf~

Thanks for your epi12 recap!

I was wondering about that scene where LWW dresses up as a spider man. Now it makes sense. I also wondered about how NT gets to understand XF's true feelings about him...

Thanks so much.

In the original manga, ZS was just another high school student without any engineering skills in robotics. Right??

That is definitely different from the original...right??

Maybe the ending will be no different from the original,,,but I wonder???

Also, was there a wedding story in the original manga??

Could it be possible that the ending could be different??

What do you all say??

Guest orionofthewolf

You're welcome. Glad I could help you understand. I thought that scene with WW was just so random. I mean, he's a random guy who dresses oddly, but that was just too weird. I laughed so hard at that scene and I think it was a cool way for Wu Wu to "smack" (not literally of course) some sense into Night. Oh, and it was really cool to see how WW went from seeing Night as a robot to make money to more of a human. Just like XF, he has accepted Night as a human vs. as robot. A cool evolution.

Oh, it's been so long. I think the original character of Zong Shi was just a regular high school student. He may have been smart, but I don't think he had the robotics knowledge to save Night. Granted, I like finished this manga back in like 2007 or 2008.

If the ending is an original, happy one, that would be cool, but I have a feeling they may stick to the manga ending. Although, even if they do, I am not 100% certain that they would have Zong Shi and Xiao Fei become a couple at the end like they did in the manga as if they did (without a time jump), It seems as unnatural as ZX and Sky. To me at least.

I don't think there was a wedding story in the original manga either since that did take place in high school. And with all she has done, I don't think Yuu Watase has done and underage weddings in her stories.

You're welcome. Glad I could help you understand. I thought that scene with WW was just so random. I mean, he's a random guy who dresses oddly, but that was just too weird. I laughed so hard at that scene and I think it was a cool way for Wu Wu to "smack" (not literally of course) some sense into Night. Oh, and it was really cool to see how WW went from seeing Night as a robot to make money to more of a human. Just like XF, he has accepted Night as a human vs. as robot. A cool evolution.

Oh, it's been so long. I think the original character of Zong Shi was just a regular high school student. He may have been smart, but I don't think he had the robotics knowledge to save Night. Granted, I like finished this manga back in like 2007 or 2008.

If the ending is an original, happy one, that would be cool, but I have a feeling they may stick to the manga ending. Although, even if they do, I am not 100% certain that they would have Zong Shi and Xiao Fei become a couple at the end like they did in the manga as if they did (without a time jump), It seems as unnatural as ZX and Sky. To me at least.

I don't think there was a wedding story in the original manga either since that did take place in high school. And with all she has done, I don't think Yuu Watase has done and underage weddings in her stories.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RECAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE THE BEST!!!

sighhhh...this is to dang depressing!  maybe zs might not be able to fix nite but extend his "life line" to another day or so, and that's when the wedding will take place?

Hello AB fans :)

@helkel nice to see you here my friend :)

@orionofthewolf thanks for the recapp :)

here's the rating from sunday episode im sorry to say but we went down to number 3 dont kill the messenger LOL

1.Forward to love (TTV)                2.082 love: Oh I'm willing to (CTV)       1.263 absolutely Darling (people)        0.664 to the miracle of Alice (CTS)       0.62 I havent seen episode 12 yet WIFI here is horrible :( Have a great day :)

Guest S_sun

Orionofthewolf, thanks for the recaps. I enjoyed reading them. A little sad that it was the second last one. LWW character started off being such an outrageous character and like a salesman, only concerned about profit. As Night become more human, LWW also become "humanized". Him helping Night at the risk of his job is an evolution alright. XF having the courage to love against convention is like in real life. In one sense,Night symbolises unconventional love such as homosexuals, people with terminal diseases, etc, with uncertain outcome. Putting ZS in RD and now racing to save Night is a stroke of genius. At least now you have the viewers wondering if we have a different ending. I love the ending scene...beautifully written and done....

Sue, I think we will still get a sad ending and ZS can only perhaps extend Night's life a little. There is no wedding in the original . Putting in the wedding scene makes it even more poignant and tragic. HS and Jiro look so good in the wedding outfits...spazz...  
Whether XF will end up with ZS will be left open, I think. It will be too sudden and quick for XF to switch to ZS.

Lukalee, thanks for the previews and translations.

Annypooh, I already cried so much this episode. Can I take the anticipated sad ending? I don't know....

GHSforever, thanks for the info on the ratings.  At this point, the ratings no. will not change much. Too bad, the Taiwanese viewers are not much invested in this awesome drama. AB team can be proud that they did a great job ad there are many of us who appreciate it. Does anyone know the twitter for the production, Jiro, the director? I like to show them my appreciation AB?

AB fans, have a good week.

Guest cheerkoo1430281614

Orionofthewolf, thanks for the recaps. I enjoyed reading them. A little sad that it was the second last one. LWW character started off being such an outrageous character and like a salesman, only concerned about profit. As Night become more human, LWW also become "humanized". Him helping Night at the risk of his job is an evolution alright. XF having the courage to love against convention is like in real life. In one sense,Night symbolises unconventional love such as homosexuals, people with terminal diseases, etc, with uncertain outcome. Putting ZS in RD and now racing to save Night is a stroke of genius. At least now you have the viewers wondering if we have a different ending. I love the ending scene...beautifully written and done....

Sue, I think we will still get a sad ending and ZS can only perhaps extend Night's life a little. There is no wedding in the original . Putting the wedding scene make it even more poignant and tragic. HS and Jiro look so good in the wedding outfits...spazz...  
Whether XF will end up with ZS will be left open, I think. It will be too sudden and quick for XF to switch to ZS.

Lukalee, thanks for the previews and translations.

Annypooh, I already cried so much this episode. Can I take the anticipated sad ending? I don't know....

GHSforever, thanks for the info on the ratings.  At this point, the ratings no. will not change much. Too bad, the Taiwanese viewers are not much invested in this awesome drama. AB team can be proud that they did a great job ad there are many of us who appreciate it. Does anyone know the twitter for the production, Jiro, the director? I like to show them my appreciation AB?

Me too! I want to know that too!! I really appreciate them and want to give them high Five for such a great love/humanity story!!

Guest orionofthewolf

I don't know about the production crew, but I do believe this is Jiro's official twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/jirowang If it is, it looks like Jiro doesn't tweet much. Then there's also this one https://twitter.com/#!/wangdadong
I don't know if either one is truly official or if he actually has 2 twitter accounts. The 2nd one has quite a few HQ pics of GHS & Jiro Wang.

It will be a sad weekend this upcoming one. This drama shall end and I will miss chatting with you all ^_^

This weekend my sister's family's coming up again and next weekend if all goes well my father's coming from AL to visit. But when I do have free time, I will try to get the entire series of AB recorded for you guys and will get the final links for you. If you want the download links back, please let me know.

Guest S_sun

I don't know about the production crew, but I do believe this is Jiro's official twitter:

https://twitter.com/#!/jirowang

If it is, it looks like Jiro doesn't tweet much. Then there's also this one

https://twitter.com/#!/wangdadong

I don't know if either one is truly official or if he actually has 2 twitter accounts. The 2nd one has quite a few HQ pics of GHS

It will be a sad weekend this upcoming one. This drama shall end and I will miss chatting with you all

^_^

This weekend my sister's family's coming up again and next weekend if all goes well my father's coming from AL to visit. But when I do have free time, I will try to get the entire series of AB recorded for you guys and will get the final links for you. If you want the download links back, please let me know.

Guest orionofthewolf

Orionofthewolf,

thanks for the info. I think the 2nd one is not his true account, just based on who he is following and the 1st one has not been active since March 30, which is odd as he is not updating or promoting his projects . I gather he is active in weibo. Is it easy to make a weibo acc with no Chinese?

I am dreading this Sunday as well. We will miss you too. Please do drop by sometimes at the GHS thread.

Please don't rush regarding the recap and AB vids. Family time are more important. Thanks for those you have uploaded. I have been re-watching them slowly episode by episode. Have too many dramas on my plate at the moment.kekeke

Guest helkel

Thought the part about Zong Shi being a robotics expert was a little redundant... hopefully finale episode dont spend too much time on ZS and him doing whatever to save NaiTe for XF's sake /eyeroll. That might result in ZS having alot of screentime which then will lead to lesser screentime of XF and XF with NaiTe. As much as I like ZS's devotion to XF and all, being wishy washy for like 10 yrs (?!) before expressing his love is a big no-no. I just want to see the most of NaiTe and XF together in the finale :P Especially more of GHS GHS GHS oops note to self: this is AB thread, stop fangirling so much on only GHS.. spare some for Jiro and KunDa etc... :P

Even if the ending is gonna be like "NaiTe chose to spend the rest of his remaining time with XF, and XF knowing that NaiTe will leave her utimately due to the circumstances, treasured the time immensely and blahblahblah... even thou NaiTe is no longer by her side, XF smiles, with tears in her eyes and cont. living bravely -end of story-" *everyone bawl their eyes out* 

Archived