[Drama 2012] Love Rain / Love Rides the Rain 사랑비

s@nbi

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Love Rain" Is Very Detail Oriented and Historically Accurate to Boot! (took out the spoilers)

The drama “Love Rain” is very detail-oriented and historically accurate! The following is a screen short of a letter that YoonA’s character “Kim Yoon Hee” wrote on the April 3 episode of “Love Rain” that was broadcast. 

7b95fad546181ca269342e381e1ca6e1_large.jpg<

In a glance, it looks like the letter contains spelling errors written in Korean. However, it was actually not a spelling error and is the way that Korean was written in 1970. For the commonly used words, the letters changed around 1988.

cr. Soompi

Just wanted to share this. I found it impressive how the director paid attention to details. O_O 

@baduy - I never noticed DW's speech patterns until you pointed it out. Nor did I notice the lighting or darkening of the sky in relation to what time I believe it is. I DID notice a gap in time from when YH leaves the hospital to when she arrives home and sees DW there. And guessed it had to do with a diagnosis given by the doctor. (maybe I've watched too many dramas but I assumed it was horrible news) sad.gif I also correctly assumed YH would not tell IH what was wrong or give him any indication that she was ill. 

What I also missed was Hye Jung's speech to In Ha about making her into a "bad person" (Okay, whatever) My dislike of this young lady continues. And I say again, there better be a great reason that In Ha eventually marries this woman. mad.gif

The scene of In Ha standing outside YH's window in the rain begging her forgiveness did break my heart this time - it's more powerful once you learn what was said. tears.gif I spoke with my aunt again and we talked about that line "Love means never having to say you're sorry" with me being sarcastic about it and her chewing me out. (LOL) She said I didn't understand, when 2 people truly love each other - there is no need to say "I'm sorry" about anything between them. Since they understand each others thoughts, motives, feelings and sincerity - those words are unnecessary. (they can read each others minds?) At least this was what she understood watching the movie back then. (she also said smoking was still allowed in the movie theater when she saw it so she was miserable watching as it was very crowded and almost everyone smoked) We both agreed though that the thought is somewhat silly, she no longer believes this.  tongue.gif I wonder how many young girls believed this back then once they saw this movie. Ahahaha! 

I'm a tiny bit angry that In Ha does marry Hye Jung in the future given his words at the end there. He believes his love with YH is NOT over and will continue yet he marries another? I'm completely guessing that at some point in the future he will think she died? Maybe Hye Jung will pull another nasty trick to make him think so? Oy vey, I'm jumping way ahead of myself. phew.gif

The photos are back up in my mini review - sorry about that everyone! 

http://couchkimchi.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/love-rain-a-different-point-of-view/#comment-6873

@amiliyana90 LOL it's ok and thanks for the news. Seo In Guk is adorable!! I'm happy he got a role, probably changmo is my second favorite character so far.

@tesieroo YEA I DID WATCH IT OMGOSH. It made my all time favorites list, I just love the flow of the drama~

I finished episode four, and I love the fact that the two main characters seem like soulamates..I mean who goes out at night at the same time at the same place LOOL.

chang mo sings so well. * __ *

I hate it when in dramas the two leads miss each other by a second. I mean just glance the other way!! Also, I think it's a bit cliche to get TB, and to leave America but since I think this is the same writer as Summer and Spring of the seasons series I can live with it haha. (Especially since the seasons series was so depressing)

and what's with the denying feelings bit?!

I like that changmo and Inha is involved in something bigger I like their defiance in the 70s~  Also dongwook didn't tell Inha (I thought at first becuase he wanted Yoon Hee, but it's actually for him not to worry)

Now I wonder who the 70s characters got married to!  but thank god that In ha knows that she also loves him. too many tears in this episode.

LOL. then train cuts to modern characters. I really don't like modern inha's hair. >  <

can't wait until episode 5. I feel like every episode just breezes by, so pretty!! ~

I'm a tiny bit angry that In Ha does marry Hye Jung in the future given his words at the end there. He believes his love with YH is NOT over and will continue yet he marries another? I'm completely guessing that at some point in the future he will think she died? Maybe Hye Jung will pull another nasty trick to make him think so? Oy vey, I'm jumping way ahead of myself. *quoted image*

The photos are back up in my mini review - sorry about that everyone! 

http://couchkimchi.w...w/#comment-6873

OMGOSH. THEY GET MARRIED? how did you know?! 

Guest Starlitelet

I'm sorry, but I just got to randomly insert that I love the new song :wub:. I believe it's called "Because it's You" by Tiffany (SNSD). If anyone knows where I can search to listen to it again... that'd be extremely nice. I want to hear it without any voice overlaps this time ^^;.

OMGOSH. THEY GET MARRIED? how did you know?! 

It's listed in the relationship chart on page 13 of this thread. It shows In Ha married and divorced Hye Jung. Their son is Seo Joon (JGS's modern day character) Yoon Hee married someone named Jung Si Heon and their daughter is Ha Na (Yoona's modern day character) 

Which leads me to believe once Hye Jung finds out who Ha Na's mom is? She's gonna stir up trouble and be the evil mother-in-law trying to keep her son safe from "that womans" daughter. tongue2.gif (I'm totally guessing that part - LOL) And getting way ahead of myself. I actually just want a good, solid reason why In Ha marries Hye Jung. mad.gif But being a drama, I might not get one. *crossing fingers* 

Guest Froglet

Can someone please help me in terms of finding HQ downloads w/ english subs? I can't seem to search properly because a lot of the results are in korean?

Or are u folks watching the typical 700MB + subs? Please help!

Thanks =)

, in the Korean original, something we may not have thought much in earlier scenes, but which stands out very plainly here. Although IH is older than YH, he always addresses her in polite speech. But after short acquaintance, DW switched to talking down to YH, using banmal as he does here. (She naturally only ever uses polite speech to both of them, because they are older)

Are you sure about this? That the boys are older than YH? I thought all the main characters were the same age, in the same year at college, which would let them talk to each other without honorifics.But if the boys are older, shouldn't YH address them as seonbae? Or maybe she does, I just haven't heard it...

Hi tessie and all, I don't really have anything intellectual to add, but just wanted to say that different dramas put one in different moods.. And I just happen to really like the mood that this drama puts me in. Er, not sure if this makes sense. Heh!!! I think it's the combination of the cinematography and the 70s feel. Not sure if this will continue now that we are into 2012. :P

I'm also with some of you in love with the innocent love story, the pace of the story and the beautiful shots.

I am first a SONE-YoonAddict so obviously most of my attention is towards Yoona before the drama in general. Thus, the reason why I enjoy reading comments in this thread particularly of those whom are watching this drama because of the story and not primarily because of the actors.

I'm sad the 70s part ended but I am excited for the next episode because we'll see a change in character - i'm expecting it to be aggressive and hopefully as good if not better.

I'm more a lurker so please keep writing your comments/reviews drama fans.

The rating is not important but with this good of a drama, it'd be great if they could get a two digit rating.

Are you sure about this? That the boys are older than YH? I thought all the main characters were the same age, in the same year at college, which would let them talk to each other without honorifics.But if the boys are older, shouldn't YH address them as seonbae? Or maybe she does, I just haven't heard it...

Am I sure about her being younger than the others? No, because, oddly enough when you think about Korean social habits, where the first thing you get to know after someone's name is their exact age - or at least their exact Chinese calender birth year - so you know where you stand with them in the linguistically all-important age hierarchy) we never learn YH's age. And since I never read character profiles in advance of a drama (where ages are customarily given) and the scripts are, as usual nowadays, embargoed "for copyright reasons" I've no other source for this information other than the behavior of the characters themselves. In the actual screenplay, writers always specify the age of each and every character (even one-line walk-on parts), otherwise the actors can't play them properly, since constant awareness of one's age relative to everyone else is a core piece of Korean identity, without which a player can't even begin to imagine their way into a role. I got a sense that YH is significantly younger than the others, and for brevity's sake used this as a hook to hang my essential point on, which is about the way DW in particular chooses to address her and the contrast with how IH speaks to her.

College isn't like school, speech-wise. In an elementary school naturally, and in most junior highs, all the students will use banmal to each other, and teachers will use banmal when addressing individual students, or small groups of them. But, surprisingly to people who first hear it, even elementary school teachers generally use polite speech when addressing the class as a whole in the course of a lesson. However, homeroom teachers in high schools tend to use panmal when talking to "their" class as a whole, as well at to individuals, to mark their special quasi-familial relationship. In senior high, students in the same year will address each other in panmal, but senior year students will expect those in lower years to address them in polite speech. But at College, the default form of address to fellow students who aren't well known to each other, even in the same year, is polite speech (a notable exception are students who were in the same school class at some stage, maybe even years ago, and who find themselves at the same college: there banmal is the norm for life, no matter how high they rise.) Banmal between fellow students marks a sense of some particular bond that ties them rather more closely to one another than to the other members of the student body. What constitutes such a bond and makes banmal permissible (or in effect obligatory for people who don't want to look standoffish) varies greatly from institution to institution and even between departments at the same institution (as well as changing over time). And membership of other cross-departmental groupings such as orchestras, hobby societies, sports teams or church groups comes into play here, too, along with other more informal bondings like those that the main characters (aside from YH) in this drama have built up, and which accounts for their banmal which designates them as a self-appointed in-group.

Now it would be unusual for members of such an in-group to address a newcomer to their circle, such as YH is, in banmal straight off. It would be like granting her a privilege she has yet to earn. And it would be thought very pushy if someone in her position, introduced to such an obviously cohesive group with a history of friendship, spoke to them in banmal on first acquaintance, because it would feel like she was claiming to belong where she didn't. But we know from what's said about her in the first episode that YH doesn't belong to any in-groups at all and doesn't address even students in her own class in banmal. Not because she's snobbish or uppity, but because she's a very reserved and private person. She doesn't intrude upon others and others respect that and don't force linguistic familiarity on her. Apart from DW, that is, and that stands out. His use of banmal where the others, respecting her obvious wishes, use the polite speech with which she addresses them, isn't rude or offensive, and she doesn't take it as such. But it does signal that he is pushing himself into her linguistic personal space despite her signals that she prefers people not to do that, and that reflects his obvious conviction that he's God's Gift to Women and his failure to see what she's really like and adjust his behavior accordingly. Whereas IH, though he finally plucks up courage to hold her hand, would never dream of using banmal to her, or of expecting her to use it to him, nor would either of them ever refer to each other without the honoric -si suffix. That would be akin in his eyes or hers, if you'll forgive me for not mincing my words, to suddenly groping her.

One of the things that translators of Kdrama into languages which, unlike modern English, distinguish between intimate and polite address forms often get seriously wrong is that they assume that polite speech vs banmal in Korean corresponds to Ustedes/vous/Sie.in contrast to usted/tu/du etc. Well, sometimes it does, but my no means always. Polite speech and -si name honorifics are compatible with the highest degree of intimacy. It is perfectly possible that if this wasn't a drama in this particular separated-by-cruel-fate sub-genre, YH and IH might have married, had six kids and twenty grandchildren and been sent by them on a "filial piety" world cruise in their 80's and still be addressing each other in polite speech till the end of their days. There are numerous examples of this in Kdramas as well as in real life (though in real life it tends to be among what are now becoming the older generations). The central couple young in City of Glass for example, throughout their courtship and marriage, address each other in polite speech with the -si honorific, and right his minute I'm listening with half an ear to the KBS daily radio drama, now on about episode #1800, where the main couple, who met in their mid- twenties while at catering college and married around episode 120, are about to produce their second offspring, but are still on polite speech terms and probably always will be until death or, more likely the KBS program planners, them do part.

.I mean who goes out at night at the same time at the same place LOOL.

I agree that there are lots of LOL-worthy moments in this drama, but I don't think this is one of them. I tried to cover this in my last posting. The point is that when they parted at the station, they agreed to meet up that evening by IH coming to YH's house, but for both of them, very unpleasant events have intervened which have pushed that to the back of their minds. The soulmate-ish thing is that both of them suddenly recall that's what they planned at the same time, and head out to deliberately meet each other half way, which they do (though they initially both pretend out of bashfulness that they were just "out for a stroll") As I tried to point out, if we enter the Korean mentality where in-group relationships matter every bit as much as romantic ones, we can understand why the unanticipatedly fierce row with all his friends, especially that blow from ChJ, takes IH aback and pushes his plans to go see YH to the back of his mind. But as we first view the episode, it's a complete puzzle to us why YH, for her part, should have forgotten IH said he'd come to see her, and the writer means us to be puzzled, because the event that has displaced her anticipation of IH's visit from the foreground of her thoughts and will change both their lives for good is being kept a secret from us until the next episode.

@baduy:

I'm enjoying every single word of your review. it's interesting on so many levels & I find myself coming over & over again to this thread for far more than just the drama. all the informative & enriching details about the Korean life back then & the modern one give me a deeper & clearer view of the Korean mindset & culture

thank you, I really appreciate it

@ woho

It is indeed true that the drama "Is Very Detail Oriented and Historically Accurate to Boot". So it's all the more ironic that the original blog posting making that point on the basis of the pre-1988 spellings in this letter repeats yet again the absurdly mistaken stuff about the letter being written "in 1970'" (which is even more inaccurate than saying just "the 70'"s).

The writers have very carefully included a number of very clear markers that it CANNOT be in the 1970's through other "historically accurate", carefully placed "details" that position the action, beyond any shadow of doubt, in the first half of the 1980's. I've pointed several of them out, and there are more, but there's no point in listing them because nobody who knows much about the period could still be in any doubt anyway. Quite apart from common-sense arguments based on the ages of the present day characters in the segment that's now begun.

So all the painstaking care on the production team's part that went into "planting" these datable references has gone to waste because of one careless slip by someone, months ago now, in KBS's advance publicity department, rendered unassailable by the horrendously destructive belief that if several thousand people cut and paste the same gaffe into Internet postings, it somehow ceases to be a gaffe by sheer weight of numbers. I was at a gathering recently where a young post-doctoral researcher from an Ivy League institution came out with the extraordinary claim that just because some particular errors about the readings of certain rare Classical Chinese characters were now to be found in several dozen on-line dictionaries, they had 'acquired a certain authority' which those backwoodsmen among us who think that dictionaries should try to get things right ought to 'respect'. I wonder if that guy will get tenure...?

@Froglet I don't quite understand your problem here. I doubt if you'll find any downloadable HQ vids with hardcoded English subs. People either view on streaming sites like DramaFever and Hulu, or they get srt files and use their local player software to overlay them on the raws of their choice, which aren't hard to find in a range of resolutions from Xvid up.

Srt files of good-quality subs often "leak" from DramaFever on to other sites, as used also to happen with Viki softsubs, until the policy of the that site's owners, who treat hardworking seggers and subbers with blithe indifference, but eagerly kowtow to the rights-holders, decided to ban not only the release of srt versions of Viko subs, but also to delete the accounts of several long-standing contributors who had done an enormous amount to make Viki what it(once) was, their only offense being that they'd made srt files, often of subs to which they themselves had donated their skills, available to others outside Viki.

Or do you mean HD (1080i) files, and you're finding that srt's don't synch to them? In that case it's worth learning how to resynch. There's plenty of free software to do that, and once you get the hang of it it's very simple and usually also very quick.

extraordinary claim that just because some particular errors about the readings of certain rare Classical Chinese characters were now to be found in several dozen on-line dictionaries, they had 'acquired a certain authority' which those backwoodsmen among us who think that dictionaries should try to get things right ought to 'respect'. I wonder if that guy will get tenure...?

laugh.gif Like arguing with a door knob? I feel this way watching politicians sometimes. The insane claims they make (all with a straight face) cracks me up. 

I have another question if you don't mind. In EP 3 when Yoon Hee is sitting in her class staring at the watch I noticed the classroom was filled with all females. Could this be one of her "health" classes where contraceptives are discussed? Or are classes segregated into male/female no matter the subject? Just wondering. biggrin.gif

AllFemales.jpg

[...]

I have another question if you don't mind. In EP 3 when Yoon Hee is sitting in her class staring at the watch I noticed the classroom was filled with all females. Could this be one of her "health" classes where contraceptives are discussed?

Not necessarily. Family health as understood at that time was an overwhelmingly female discipline, since the idea was to reach out to the female population and to appeal to them woman-to-woman. But the classes covered many skills that would help establish rapport with "ordinary" women, including, as you'll see in two other classes that we visit, costume design and even hands-on dressmaking. Some of the things taught and practiced were what we would class as social work, others were more in the direction of Home Economics, in the proper sense, not as a euphemism for cookery classes, but teaching women how to manage their family budgets to best effect. A distinctive feature of Korean culture is that the wife is in almost total control of family finances. In single income families with the male as breadwinner (which are of course declining in numbers, but not yet to the same extent as in Western countries) the wife has the bank account book, and the PIN numbers and personal seal required to use it. Before Korean banking went almost wholly electronic when people were still paid in cash, the husband would be expected to tip up his entire wage packet and the wife would then dole out pocket money to him along with allowances to the kids.

A stock scene in Family Dramas (e.g. Dandelion Family) features the man who either through retirement or force of circumstances has suddenly become a Househusband, and has to go pay the household bills, which you do at special ATMs inside banks. The process is wholly automated, but you have to know which ATMs to use, and how to feed in first the bills to be paid (which are all a uniform size with standardized electronic coding, no matter who the payee is) then your passcode, and finally your bankbook. Invariably, our newly retired CEO or newly redundant Section Chief gets completely bamboozled, and has to shoulder-surf and copy the actions of some doddery Halmoni who sails through the procedure that completely foxes him. Its a Woman's Thing in Korea.

Another motif you'll notice in Kdramas is that when a family goes to rack and ruin through a husband's fault, it's generally because he has borrowed money from loansharks to feed a gambling habit which his wife, obviously, wouldn't finance, but he's convinced he has a lucky streak, so he goes to gangsters to fund his stakes. But when the wife is responsible for the family ruin, it's because she has entrusted all the family savings to some sweet-talking financial adviser who has given her "hot tips" about particular shares or funds, which then turn out to be Ponzi-ish. Family Health in the period we were concerned with covered ensuring women were able to keep their families financially as well as physically healthy.

Present day South Korea spends a considerably lower proportion of its GDP on taxation-funded social welfare than any other highly developed country (yes, lower even than the US and vastly lower than any EU country) That it can do so without widespread hardship among the less affluent sections of society is partly due to the the multi-facetted effects of the Family Health outreach workers efforts under the military regime and immediately after, including, of course, their spectacular success in getting population growth down by persuasion rather than coercion, but also their propagation of skills in "making ends meet".

But the classes covered many skills that would help establish rapport with "ordinary" women, including, as you'll see in two other classes that we visit, costume design and even hands-on dressmaking. Some of the things taught and practiced were what we would class as social work, others were more in the direction of Home Economics, in the proper sense, not as a euphemism for cookery classes, but teaching women how to manage their family budgets to best effect

Ah! Okay, now I'm not quite so shocked. I imagined a class teaching only about contraceptive use! laugh.gif 

I guess I was picturing a student group discussion say along the lines of "To Sir With Love" or "Save the Last Dance" where the students actively & openly participate in discussing such topics. And couldn't (and still can't) picture anything like that given the tiny bit I know of Korean culture. The above picture had me wishing for more classroom scenes but my imagination was way off. 

Maybe I'm more impatient for the current story to begin than I think I am. The shyness & reserve of our characters is beginning to make me a bit crazy once I go back to re-watch. I even found myself wishing they would have better explained & explored the "subversive writings" that the military police were searching for. Thanks!

Guest ainiix

Does anyone know which srt subtitles is the best one or which one you guys prefer?

I still didn't watch this drama with subs yet and it looks pretty good so far.

It's very similar to The Classic which is my favorite korean movie (: I'm also a SNSD fan and noticed how yoona really improved. I couldn't finish YAMD and Cinderella Man cus the drama didn't really interest me enough and yoona's acting wasn't that great plus her crying scenes were pretty awkward but this drama definitely changed my mind. Episode 4 showed a lot of her acting and her crying skills improved A LOT & I'm sure her acting will improve in each episode. jang guen suk, he's always been good ^^. & is anyone replaying the scene where IH goes in to hug YH? That scene was just really sweet and romantic and tiffany's ost fits so perfectly. Anyways hope the ratings improve cuz I definitely think this is one of the better dramas so far for this year.

@baduy:

I'm enjoying every single word of your review. it's interesting on so many levels & I find myself coming over & over again to this thread for far more than just the drama. all the informative & enriching details about the Korean life back then & the modern one give me a deeper & clearer view of the Korean mindset & culture

thank you, I really appreciate it

Word of advice:  Whenever I find Baduy's comments, I copy and save it into my own folder.  So, when I want to refer back to the comment(s), as I'm watching, I don't have to search through the thread to find them. :)

Archived