Lee Jung-Jae 이정재 [Movie “Hunt” | Upcoming: Star Wars series “The Acolyte” (Disney+)]

Helena

• 2 weeks later...

December 31, 2008

[NEW YEAR] A dazzling array of stars born in Year of Ox

The Year of the Ox starts this year, beginning what fortune tellers believe will be a period of prosperity through fortitude and hard work. Given that the global financial market remains in a protracted slump, it seems too early to expect a year of recovery, much less prosperity. What's certain though is that Korea could use plenty of fortitude and hard work to cope with the challenges of 2009.

People born under the influence of the ox, based on the Chinese zodiac, are said to be dependable, calm, and modest. This sign is also associated with those who are patient, tireless in their work, and endure hardship without complaint.

In fact, Korea needs as many ox-like politicians as possible this year if it does not want a repeat of not-so-patient Korean lawmakers using sledgehammers and fire extinguishers to get into the National Assembly.

Instead of focusing on the hopeless politicians, it's time to reflect on the meaning of the Chinese calendar, which is still widely used by Koreans.

200812310015.jpg

200812310016.jpg

The Chinese calendar is based on the cycles of the moon, and is constructed differently to the Western solar calendar. The most prominent feature for Koreans is a system of 12 animal signs.

The animal signs represent a cyclical concept of time used to record years. Every year is assigned an animal in the order of: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, ram, monkey, rooster, dog and pig. The animals take turns on a 12-year cycle. This year is devoted to the ox.

While the ox has many positive traits such as dependability and strength, not all attributes are good. Many Koreans believe oxen are slow and have sluggish comprehension skills. Some traditional Korean phrases implicate the ox as an obstinate character with so much determination that it disregards others.

The ox's dependability and determination, however, do not minimize the role of the animal in Korea, which was traditionally an agricultural society. Oxen were deemed one of the most important domesticated animals because they did hard work in the field.

They also represented wealth and prosperity. The more oxen you owned, the richer you were. Selling an ox was like selling a core asset. Even in the past few decades, a number of farmers paid for their children's college education by selling these animals.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/dat...00812310017.jpg

Dreaming of an ox is seen as auspicious, especially for financial status. Such dreams suggest a new income or a fortunate turn of business. Curiously, dreams about oxen are also believed to be linked with ancestors, implying that Koreans deeply associate the animals with their roots.

Oxen are also believed to have spiritual power. When a household moves to a new location, it is customary to hang an ox bone on the wall to ward off evil spirits or prevent disaster.

A host of Joseon period painters devoted their energy to portraying the animal. Kim Je, Lee Kyeong-yun, Kim Shik, Yun Du-seo, Cho Young-seok, Choi Buk and Kim Hong-do, among many others, stand out as Joseon painters adept at painting oxen and cows.

One of the reasons oxen were favored in traditional Korean paintings was that riding an ox, at least for Joseon aristocrats, meant living a frugal life away from corruption and power struggles -- a point ignored by Korean politicians living today.

Many prominent Koreans were born in the Year of the Ox, whose activities are likely to draw special attention.

Poet Kim Kyu-dong was born in 1925, an ox-year, in Gyeongseong, North Hamgyeong Province and remains active in literary circles, putting out a collection of poems in 2005.

Kim Woo-chang, a literary critic, and Lee Je-ha, who recently won the prestigious Dongri literary award, were born in 1937, another Year of the Ox.

Those born in 1961, also an ox-year, include Ahn Do-hyeon, Choi Young-mi, Shin Hyun-rim, Goh Un-ki, Bang Hyun-seok, and Lee Na-mi.

Among younger writers, Oh Hyun-jong, Lee Myung-rang, Hae I-su, Kim I-eun, Gil Sang-ho, Kim Geun were all born in the ox-year of 1973.

In classical music circles, violinists Lee Yu-ra and Kwon Hyuk-joo, and pianist Kim Tae-hyung were born in 1985. In the musicals sector, Min Young-gi and Hong Ji-min were born in 1973.

But the biggest lineup of oxen is in the entertainment industry. In 2009, the special focus will be on a host of Korean stars who were born in 1973 and turn 36 at the height of their career. Jung Woo-sung, the Korean-wave star who played a major role in the blockbuster "The Good, the Bad, and the Weird," and Lee Jung-jae, who recently attempted to change his image into a comic hero in a historical film, were born in 1973. Jeon Do-youn, who won the best actress award at the Cannes International Film Festival, was also born in the same year.

Kim Yun-jin, a Korean actor who is strengthening her position in the United States with her role in the popular drama series "Lost" also belongs to the 1973 ox-club, while leading actors such as Kim Sung-su, Song Yoon-a, Lim Chang-jung, Shin Eun-kyung, Chu Sang-mi were born in the same year.

Among the younger generation affiliated with the ox, singer Nam Kyu-ri and actress Cha Hye-ryeon were born in 1985.

By Yang Sung-jin (insight@heraldm.com)

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/dat...00901010027.asp

2009, Year of Ox

Famous Ox People (RELATED EXCERPT ONLY)

Celebrities who were born in the Year of the Ox are set to take a great leap this year.

Jeon Do-yeon, Kim Yun-jin, Jung Woo-sung, and Lee Jung-jae were born in 1973, the year of the ox.

Highly-acclaimed actress Jeon, who has won many accolades including the best actress at the Cannes Film Festival for her role in "Secret Sunshine" in 2007, will give birth to a baby this month while taking a rest after filming "My Dear Enemy."

Kim, who recently received rave reviews for her work in the Korean film "Seven Days," will begin shooting "Lost: Season 5" from this year. Kim is well known in the U.S. for her role as Kwon Sun-hwa on the ABC television series.

Jung has become a businessman after launching his cosmetic line targeting the 20-30 demographic in association with Lee Jung-jae. He also achieved great success with the Korean blockbuster movie "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" last year.

Lee has extended his career range from gentle and soft to his profligate character in the film "1724 Hero." He's also involved in the fashion business with Jung.

Credits: sanghee@koreatimes.co.kr

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Javabeans

Kang Ji-hwan drops Triple, Lee Jung-jae steps in

February 19th, 2009 // by javabeans

image_readtop_2009_108381_1235088140138335.jpg

WHAAAT?

My first reaction to this news was actually more like a mishmash of a dozen reactions, which went a little something like this:

“OH NO I was afraid of this but YAAAAY it’s Lee Jung-jae, but OH WOE, no Kang Ji-hwan?? *waaaaail* is so sad and yet, also *hurrahhhh* is excited, and oh who cares must see right now right away”

Or, in coherent language: Kang Ji-hwan (Hong Gil Dong), as I had feared, has dropped out of MBC’s upcoming figure-skating drama Triple. This is sad, but not too unexpected, because his name had been quietly dropped from press releases after the initial announcement.

On the other hand, perhaps the only other actor-crush that rivals mine on Kang Ji-hwan would be the one I reserve for Lee Jung-jae (Typhoon, Air City). My love for him is long-standing and perhaps older than some of you kiddies. (It dates back to 1994’s Feelings and was reinforced by 1995’s Sandglass. Hey, I was young, but I knew what love was.)

Also, this seems to suggest that the drama, while it had originally seemed fluffy and girly, may not be as silly as it first seemed. Lee Jung-jae has been known in his later career for tough action roles and while he definitely has comic chops (which are really underrated), I don’t see him doing a frilly drama. His casting, combined with Coffee Prince’s director at the helm, suggests this could be something really interesting.

So let’s see now:

Yoon Kye-sang (Who Are You)

Lee Seon-kyun (Coffee Prince, White Tower)

Lee Jung-jae (Il Mare, Typhoon)

Director Lee Yoon-jung (Coffee Prince)

Writer Lee Jung-ah of both the novels AND dramas for Coffee Prince and Capital Scandal

Yup. This is gonna be awesome. Can’t wait for June!

Via Mk.co.kr

^ :lol: the news has already arrived in Soompi... thank you, Helena dear! :wub:

This is just great... awesome news!

:D Still grinning from ear to ear.... can't...stop...smiling! :):D:w00t::lol:

(though it's hard to picture him doing this kind of drama, but whocares! It's LEE JUNG JAE! Back on TV screen! *jumping up and down*)

Yes, echoing your sentiments here chinggu! :w00t:

I'm soooo ecstatic that LJJ's coming back to the small screen..

He's been sorely missed... altho I haven't been lurking that much here these days..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest cherylee

Am watching Air City & was smitten with his looks.

A real debonair !!!

Anyone knows whether he's dating with anyone after his breakup with Kim Min Hee? Pls tell if you know.

Thanks !