Do You Need Korean Help?

Jaeho

• Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mangchilo

Hmm....I was gonna buy that book...maybe I shouldn't. It said that 새끼 and 자식 actually means baby but it's also slang. Like how Americans use the word @$$h0L3. I wonder who made that book? O_O

Hmm....I guess I won't have a use for it then.

yeah, 새끼 is like as*hole/b*stard in slang. it's used somewhat more commonly than 자식 for cursing at people i think, for example if you punch someone they might be like "야! 개 새끼야!"

but like i said i know guys who're friends who call each other 새끼 a lot, in which case they're calling each other b@stards but in an...affectionate...or playing around kind of way.

^

but like i said i know guys who're friends who call each other 새끼 a lot, in which case they're calling each other b@stards but in an...affectionate...or playing around kind of way.

exactly right. =)

it's just an affectionate way of guys calling eachother.

but it's only friendly when they're friends, if they say it to a stranger or non-friend,

then it's meant to be offensive.

Guest sweet_rain

^ Aww, thanks soo much! Im enjoying it too :D

"새끼", etc -_-

Gangsters call eachother that a lot (hhehee, i watched "조폭 마누라2" on DVD last night~~so fun~its the Bestest movie). In terms of english its like rowdy friends calling eachother "How are u going a-*hole?" or "Wots up f*-got?"

I call my friends those kinda things sometimes, for fun.

HOWEVER, Originally, "새끼" can simply mean "child"...nothing offensive at all. It is a common cliche in Korean drama's for mum's to affectionately say to her daughter/son "내 새끼!" (My Kid :) ) and "자식" commonly just means "child" as well........but it depends on how u say it, when u say it and who u say it to -_-

Guest sweet_rain

hahaha, im korean myself and wondered the same thing....Soompi..i think its just a cute-sounding name...not sure if there's any real meaning to it....better ask the creators themselves, lol.

But im sure its a Korean name..."soompi"...sounds Korean ;)

i dont know if 'soompi' is an actual korean word,

cuz i've never heard of it.

"I am having a busy week...sigh...."

"이번주가 힘드네/바쁘네...(한숨)...."

err.. kinda ? haha.

Guest sweet_rain

^But your definition is closer to "This week is busy"....rather than "i am having a busy week"....

Alternatively, maybe its more closer to say:

"나는 바쁜 일주일를 보내고 있다...(한숨)...." :)

btw- THANK YOU SOOMPI MODS/ADMINS FOR PINNING THIS TOPIC :)

Makes things a lot more easier :D

Guest sweet_rain

Oo It's pinned :]

Soompi...yeah, I hope somebody knows =X Soom means breath and pi means blood in korean =X breath blood/blood breath; but that would be freaky XDD

^ I thought that too and realised that if it were directly translated literally to korean, it would be disturbing (Soompi = 숨피 = Breathe and Blood) <---yikes!!!

HAhahA, perhaps there is a different meaning to it that goes back to 한자(Chinese characters that are spoken in Korean)....i'll ask my parents some time, lol (i dont know 한자 Hanja.)

OR WAIT!!! MAYBE IT DOES MEAN "BREATHE and BLOOD"~~LOL xD

ie: Breathe and Blood are things that people need to live.....so Soompi Forums is essential for life? :huh: It is as fundamental as Breathe and Blood in our life? (I really dont know :unsure: )

Alternatively...perhaps the its an abbreviation..the letters all stand for something

eg: SOOMPI = Super Obsessive Obnoxious Mad People Inside<---i just made that up now :blink:

Hahaha, i'll PM a root admin and see if he can tell me....hope its not bothering him for something petty, but i reckon its worth knowing

eg: SOOMPI = Super Obsessive Obnoxious Mad People Inside<---i just made that up now

LOL !!! that made me laugh.

damn, breath + blood.. that's good !!

I've posted this, but I got many different responses.

Which is the correct way, when...

I'm talking with a GIRL that has an older brother.

When I'm talking to her, and to refer to her older brother, is it correct to say "니 오빠?" or do I stick to "니 형?"

I know the whole 오빠/언니 is for girls, and 형/누나 is for guys, but is it the same when referring it to a girl's sibling?

It's 형 for me, but it's 오빠 to her.

So, er... what's the correct way?

Sorry about the... confusing post.

Guest mangchilo

Ok, when you are talking to a girl that has an older brother, say "니 오빠"-say 형, and you're saying that she is a he, because you're asking for HER oppa, not yours.

yeah, or you could just refer to her 오빠 as so-and-so 형 if he's also older than you.

Archived