[Drama 2011] [2011-12-07] Fermentation Family 발효가족

KonaBeans

Sparked by interest, kindled by tears, flamed by love and roared magnificently by loyalty. That is how the fire of Fermentation Family begin and ended for me.

The drama was interesting to begin with and slowly but surely it grew to be one of the best dramas I have watched recently. It has none of the hyped and publicity of some other currently airing dramas, but that what makes it so much more enjoyable and lovable to watch. I did not have a preconception of the drama. I watched it solely because of the title. I was blown away from the start. I am relatively  new in watching K dramas therefore not to familiar with all the actors and actresses and their past work which makes watching K dramas much more fun. Therefore, watching the main leads in action was such an eye opener.

I’m sure many know the anagram KISS…Keep it simple ‘S…’ (ignorethe last word…LOL). That’s what this drama is all about. Just a simple and straight to the point without hidden agendas drama. Just a dash of mystery that is not too complicated. Just about a group of people that is unselfish and good human being that tries to make the world a better place for all to co inhibit.Not so much in giving advice rather showing through love which materialized in their food  that depicts  no matter how far we go, no matter howdifferent we are or how hard and bad we are but with some help and understanding everything and everybody can open their hearts and received love and sweetness. Making us a better person overall.

The core of the issue is, everybody needs and want love…the hardest of gangsters, the wealthiest of man, the poorest or the grumpiest of them…we all need LOVE. With love everything else looks easy andachievable. 

I honestly love this drama, sad that not many know about it.But, I am spreading the word out. I want all to know how wonderful this dramais.

I cried my heart out in each episode. One of the most fantastic writing and directing by the PD I have seen. One scene that I love very much and that was repeated constantly to show the changes in emotions was the kimchi preparation by the sisters. As Asians, we all believe that food that is prepared lovingly by mothers and our love ones are the essence of a good,healthy and loving family. It just bring back memories of good times and my mother’s love for me and what I would like to do with my own family.

I’m not sure if anybody has seen some of my post in other dramas, but normally I write a long piece about how much I love the drama and characters. But I think for this drama, I have not much to say except how smooth and clear all the characters were tied together and how the plots were linked and concluded wonderfully. The word is smooth. Nothing choppy or lacking, but till the end it filled me with beautiful emotions.

NOT one bad thing that comes to mind when I am writing this.Even the gangsters was beautiful in their own way.

What can we say abt SIG’s acting? AWESOME. One of the best actor in Korea. Beautiful timing, character immersion and emotional projection. It  is just beautiful to watch this man act. 

Kang San aka Park Jin Hee, just so cute...her love is deep for one that has been hurt countless times, for one that has not known true love since he was abducted and thrown into a hell that he could not get out of. Her love is soft and unobtrusive. She loves wholeheartedly when she trust that person. Just like her beautiful sister, she wants to see the beauty in all. But unlike her sister, she does not trust that easily.

The pureness of the sister does not need any elaboration.She is one of a kind just like all the other beautiful and loving special people of the world.

I love all the characters which was just very realistic. All of those characters are with us or have passed through our lives on time of the other.

I wish there were more people watching it and my one and only regret was not contributing to this forum sooner.

I wish SIG all the best with his triplets…you will have your hands full…LOL! I will keep my eye out for his new drama. As well as for Park Jin Hee's.

To all the cast and crew…..CONGRATULATIONS for a beautiful and heartwarming drama that is just like Kang San’s potato ball soup which  warm and fill you up and leave a wonderful feeling with a  smile.

Just an Ahjumma’s musing…wink.gif

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Not so much in giving advice rather showing through love which materialized in their food  that depicts  no matter how far we go, no matter howdifferent we are or how hard and bad we are but with some help and understanding everything and everybody can open their hearts and received love and sweetness. Making us a better person overall"

@marrsq:  You have described perfectly the core of the drama.  The 'musings of an ahjumma' is written with the flavor of the drama.  Well-said and well done.:D

And, we can't forget this drama because it offers us the feeling of having a sanctuary like "Heaven, Earth and Man".   :)

@marrsq:  You have described perfectly the core of the drama.  The 'musings of an ahjumma' is written with the flavor of the drama.  Well-said and well done.:D

And, we can't forget this drama because it offers us the feeling of having a sanctuary like "Heaven, Earth and Man".   :)

Thanks Auntie Mame.....

I'm just sorry that I didn't participate sooner. I love all you comments and insights too.  This drama really does grow on you and leave you with a wonderful feeling.

You know how it is with K dramas, starts strong, slows down in the middle and most of the time, unsatisfying ending. Well, I love this drama coz the ending is just perfect. A new beginning for all with enough '?' for some of the characters to make it interesting. Like Uncle and Sister...definitely Uncle was interested but did something happened? we will never know unless a 2nd season is done ( I hope so!!)

Guest Sahyang

Auntie and Marrsq I am glad you joined the discussion. I am also new in kdrama (due to SIK whom I discover last year in March in Jumong) but looove FF.

On page 32 of this forum, I posted a similar comment. FF is a poem. It leaves the sphere of the so called “entertainment” cinema to move to cinema as an “art”. The symbolic images (food included), the making of scenes, the way some little, usually insignificant gesturesare filmed, the music, the message and the way this message it delivered to us etc is about ART. There are also lots of symmetries in this drama - I love symmetries!

The message is beautiful, as it sends us to the "basics", to the essentials, to love, warmth, kindness, honesty - as values that make life worth living and make us "taste" the joy of life! A kind of reminder for all of us!

The dramais also about “poetic” justice. In the end justice is done.

Dear Marrsq, you say that “As Asians, we all believe that food that is prepared lovingly by mothers and our love ones are the essence of a good, healthy andloving family. It just brings back memories of good times and my mother’s lovefor me and what I would like to do with my own family.” I love it – this is valid in Asian culture as well as in Europe and I'm sure it is like this all over the world.

I would love to see more of it – I am sure there are also other delicious, excellent kimchi receipts!

Auntie and Marrsq I am glad you joined the discussion. I am also new in kdrama (due to SIK whom I discover last year in March in Jumong) but looove FF.

On page 32 of this forum, I posted a similar comment. FF is a poem. It leaves the sphere of the so called “entertainment” cinema to move to cinema as an “art”. The symbolic images (food included), the making of scenes, the way some little, usually insignificant gesturesare filmed, the music, the message and the way this message it delivered to us etc is about ART. There are also lots of symmetries in this drama - I love symmetries!

The message is beautiful, as it sends us to the "basics", to the essentials, to love, warmth, kindness, honesty - as values that make life worth living and make us "taste" the joy of life! A kind of reminder for all of us!

The dramais also about “poetic” justice. In the end justice is done.

Dear Marrsq, you say that “As Asians, we all believe that food that is prepared lovingly by mothers and our love ones are the essence of a good, healthy andloving family. It just brings back memories of good times and my mother’s lovefor me and what I would like to do with my own family.”  I love it – this is valid in Asian culture as well as in Europe and I'm sure it is like this all over the world.

I would love to see more of it – I am sure there are also other delicious, excellent kimchi receipts!

I agree! its true in any part of the world food is one of the source that bind a family together. Everywhere in the world people gather around the kitchen, dining table or open fire and enjoy food that is prepared lovingly. Mothers and Fathers are all of the same feathers...no difference whether you live in the desert, mountains, islands just abt anywhere...we think of our children.

Thanks for reminding me that we are all the same...wink.gif 

Guest natshell

I’m sure many know the anagram KISS…Keep it simple ‘S…’ (ignorethe last word…LOL). That’s what this drama is all about. Just a simple and straight to the point without hidden agendas drama. Just a dash of mystery that is not too complicated. Just about a group of people that is unselfish and good human being that tries to make the world a better place for all to co inhibit.Not so much in giving advice rather showing through love which materialized in their food  that depicts  no matter how far we go, no matter howdifferent we are or how hard and bad we are but with some help and understanding everything and everybody can open their hearts and received love and sweetness. Making us a better person overall.

That's a great way of summarizing what this drama's about. Thank you.

I just finished watching it. I was initially drawn to it by SIG - I watched him first in Crime Squad and although the drama was not the 'best', I found him very charismatic. However, after watching FF, I found myself drawn to this drama not because of SIG or any of the other actors, but simply for the characters, their lives, love, struggles, and stories. It's as if the viewers become the family members of Heaven, Earth, and Man, and we were there with them to witness their lives. It is so heartwarming. I like it that the characters are open to love and forgive others even though they themselves are hurt before. And the food look awesome! I heard that there are hundreds of variations of kimchi, but this is like a true introduction on how kimchi can be so diverse, beautiful and look so yummy, and how they can be an analogy to human's relations. And the cinematography is simply gorgeous. They really did a good job with the lighting, colors and composition to create that 'heartwarming' feel.

I agree that more people should watch this drama. It stands out from the rest of the typical Kdrama, and its message to love and forgive is so so important.

I seldom contribute to this forum, but I thought that a drama of this quality deserves a mention :).

I noticed another interesting thing about this drama production.  Although there were certainly actors who were more well-known and top level stars, all the characters and their stories were given equal billing, in the drama, even though the core events centered on HT. 

Isn't it also the same in a family?  My image of 'family' is centered in the kitchen, with the mother cooking and the rest of the family and events swirling around her.  And, whoever has the crises of the moment is the one garnering the attention.  Just like each of the different characters and their stories.

While the drama is definitely described in wonderful terms, I think it is this production crew that should be described in the superlative.  They are the best in their craft and, more importantly, in their tenet about what is important in life.  For which, they have transferred beautifully into this drama.

And, the adage that 'different strokes for different folks' is very applicable to this drama and thread.  This isn't a drama with a lot of hype or had any 'idol flower boys' (no disparagement meant) or was widely popular.  Instead, it attracted a very select clientele who appreciated and valued the message of this drama.  (Select clientele=all of you.)  :)

Lastly, if anyone finds any information (in English) about the "Heaven and Earth" song by Park Seon-Joo, please share.  I would love to know more about the different singers in the song and especially a translation of the lyrics.  (I think my son is getting sick of hearing that song because I've played it so much in the car and at home.  hee, hee) :D

And, as KonaBean and I had raved about from the very first episode, the cinematography is so brilliant and artistic in this drama that I wish I had thought to take screen grabs of some of the most artistic shots.  Those shots are worthy of being compiled into a photo album.  I wonder if they published a photo album for the drama.  I would definitely buy it.   :)

~ Patiently waiting for the next drama of this caliber.

As usual I am always late - sorry! I was at the Ojakgyo brothers farm. Since that is over, here I am. Auntie Mame - hello!! You had mentioned W2 and the subs. I noticed when I am watching any of DramaFever drama, the translation is really short. But when I watched any drama with W2, the subs are really detail. Now where do you watch this drama? I am trying to find where this drama is on with W2 subs. Can you give me hints. I am watching it on KimchiDrama.net.

I might have to go back to the first page to read what everyone have wrote. So if I have silling question(s), please bear with me. :rolleyes:

As usual I am always late - sorry!  I was at the Ojakgyo brothers farm.  Since that is over, here I am.  Auntie Mame - hello!!  You had mentioned W2 and the subs.  I noticed when I am watching any of DramaFever drama, the translation is really short.  But when I watched any drama with W2, the subs are really detail.  Now where do you watch this drama?  I am trying to find where this drama is on with W2 subs.  Can you give me hints.  I am watching it on KimchiDrama.net.  

I might have to go back to the first page to read what everyone have wrote.  So if I have silling question(s), please bear with me.   :rolleyes:

Hi kaciemom!

I watched it on Dramafever because WithS2 hadn't started subbing it yet.  Now, WithS2 has released the soft-subs up to ep. 10.  But, the soft-subs are not supposed to be made into hard-subs and streamed.  So, I don't know of any streaming sites that would have the drama.  I download the soft-subs (.srt file) and the raw video files (.avi files) and watch that way.  The process is very easy to do, especially using the GOM player.  There are even instructions on the WithS2 site on how to watch with soft-subs.

http://withs2.com/

Good Luck!

I am enjoying the comments on this forum almost as much as I enjoyed the drama. I am not very good at expressing my own thoughts about the plot and the actors but, being a Song Il-Kook fan, I am delighted and grateful to all of you for sharing your opinions and feelings here.

Marrsq, thank you for summarizing the drama so well. I liked your comment so much that I translated it into Romanian and posted it on my blog. This is what I mainly do on my blog – translating for the Romanian SIKers all kinds of news and info, including other people’s opinion on SIK, which are practically always very good. Thanks again.

I am enjoying the comments on this forum almost as much as I enjoyed the drama. I am not very good at expressing my own thoughts about the plot and the actors but, being a Song Il-Kook fan, I am delighted and grateful to all of you for sharing your opinions and feelings here.

Marrsq, thank you for summarizing the drama so well. I liked your comment so much that I translated it into Romanian and posted it on my blog. This is what I mainly do on my blog – translating for the Romanian SIKers all kinds of news and info, including other people’s opinion on SIK, which are practically always very good. Thanks again.

WOW! this is a first for me... thank you for the compliment. Just my heartfelt thoughts on the drama. Hope they like what I wrote.wub.gif

Hello FF Fans, thank you for all your comments and love for FF.   Like Celia, as a fan of Song Il-Kook, I'm thrilled to see him shine again with this terrific director-writer team who make FF a memorable drama.

To understand Korean viewers toward this drama, I had this article translated.

Five Significant Facts "Balhyo Family' Left Behind

24-Feb-2012

FF_157.jpg

Balhyo Family aired its finale. 

In the beginning, Balhyo Family started with a 1% viewer rating.  Sometimes it would go down below a 1% rating and went through ups and  downs repeatedly. Among the Comprehensive Channels dramas it scored a  decent viewer rating, but the last episode ended up being below a 1%  viewer rating.  

In terms of the viewer rating, Balhyo Family had something to desire but  the overall story and the finale provided satisfaction to the viewers.   There were various things Balhyo Family provided, such as family story,  heart-throbbing love story, tightly-written mystery, many comical  scenes, which gave the show the nickname like ‘healing drama’.  

Food drama where the food is the main character  

Balhyo Family set up food as its main character, rewriting the title as  ‘Food drama’. In every episode, one food was a main character and the  process of making it was shown in the middle of the show, inserted as an  ‘interim title’.  It showed the meaning of the food, like a fairy tale,  and just as foods of Chun Ji In of Balhyo Family moved its guests, it  moved the viewing audience. 

Director Park Chan-Hong commented, “We’re likely to forget about the  importance of the air, water or a friend next to us as we are too close  to them, even though they are really important to us.  I wanted to  remind people the importance of food and revive it in our lives”. Balhyo Family, which used ‘food’ as its main character, was a real ‘friend’ and a ‘family’ of food.    

Re-shedding new light on ‘made-up’ family 

Family members of Chun Ji In called Ho-Tae (Song Il-Kook), who is not  related by blood, as a ‘family’ without any hesitation.  A kid Eun-Bee  (Yoon Hee-Soo) who was abandoned by her parents, a lonely old man Seol  (Lee Dae-Geun), a left-out father Pyung-Man (Kim Byung-Choon), a serial  kidnapper Hyun-Soo (Cho Jae-Wan), a chef Hae-Joon (Kang Sin-Il) who  deceived everyone were all family members of Chun Ji In. In 24th episode  that was aired on the 23rd, the middle-school student who came to visit  ‘Kimchi uncle' Ki-Chan (Kang Sin-Il) at Chun Ji In made him likely to  be one of the families, too.      

Balhyo Family made the viewers who got to see the people at Chun Ji In  feel like they are also family members through the shows.  The drama  showed the journey where people, not related by blood, become a real  family through the maturing process just like the fermentation process  of Kimchi.  The plotting intention of the show was re-shedding new light  on the made-up family, and it really delivered the touching scenes  befitting the design.  

A nice drama without bad guys  

As Balhyo Family was nicknamed as a ‘naturally clean drama’, it did not have any ‘bad guys’ among its casts.  

Cho Dae-Sik (Choi Duk-Moon), the 2nd man among the gangsters who has  been harassing Ho-Tae, has been trying to commit a crime but as he lacks  in something, he made the viewers laugh.  He also presented a viewing  pleasure by showing his affection toward Woo-Joo (Lee Min-Young).  Also,  Oh Myung-Chul Oh (Choi Yong-Min) who was trying to get rid of Ho-Tae,  generated empathy of the viewers by showing his hidden heartache and  wounds.  As Balhyo Family delivered the message of ‘Man is good’  continuously, it moved the hearts of the viewers by delivering the trust  and understanding of mankind.  

Re-discovery of Song Il-Kook and Park Jin-Hee  

So far, Song Il-Kook, who has been acting as a tough guy in ‘Jumong’ and  ‘A man called God’, took up the role of Ki Ho-Tae in Balhyo Family.  He  expressed the feelings of anguish, anger and weakness of humans  perfectly, which got him an accolade.  Also, he did not mind acting a  lowly role, getting him a nickname of ‘the god of cookery’ or ‘a  national worker’.     

Park Jin-Hee also took up and acted a role of ‘happy virus’ Kang-San,  who is always happy to be around delivering lively energy.  Whenever she  had a meal, she drank Makgeolli with it while singing the drinking  song, showing her charm of happy and joyful character, Park Jin-Hee.  

New way of social criticism + healing drama   

Writer Kim Ji-Woo has dealt with the topics of a single mother, school  violence, discrimination of the socially weak group in the dramas of  ‘Gillyflower’, ‘Resurrection’, and ‘the Devil’. She once again worked on  the social problem with Balhyo Family.  Balhyo Family dealt with  re-shedding of the made-up family, the materialism, the issue of senior  citizen living alone, and the cover-up of crime committed by the rich.  It shattered the image of ‘Comprehensive Channels drama’, delivering the  message toward the society.     

Also, Balhyo Family was soothing and curing the minds of audience, earning good reviews and the title of a ‘healing drama’.  “There  is a mountain, a river and a valley in the course of a life.  But, we  do not fear as long as we have someone to be with.  Don’t worry, be  happy.” The last message of Balhyo Family made the viewers cry,  making them take care of the people around them and appreciate the  importance of them, while curing and soothing the minds of the  viewers.    

Just like that, Balhyo Family became a drama the audience will remember for a long time.    

NATE (Korean) - KonaBeans (English)

6945590215_062fd01d57_o.jpg

Guest altinneen

Just finished watching this series. It's definitely one of the warmest drama's out there. I fell in love with Woo Joo almost immediately. The actress that played her did a tremendous job. Awesome show 

Hello!

I watched FF and now I re-watch, 'cause I'm sure I missed a lot of subtilities. It's a splendid drama, a piece of ART. I read all your comments and I agree, I can't tell more. I just want to highlight a small scene in last episode, near the lake and their mother's grave, with Lee Ki Chan and his two daughters. He recognizes them few moments and the girls are very happy, and Kang San tells her father she loves him; after that, Lee Ki Chan loses his memory again. I think this drama show us the importance of being more open and tell those we love that we really love them. Kang San thought she has enough time to tell her father she loves him, thought her father is home for eternity. Seeing him in that terrible state, her pain and frustration became deeper, but she had that seconds of Lee Ki Chan's lucidity to reveale her love. It was a relief for her. Congratulations to Mrs. Kim for this screenplay, congratulations to Mr. Director Park and whole FF team!     

Guest Sahyang

Hello dear FF Funs!

Dear Marrsq, we are all the same indeed but the Asian way of speaking about"us" is poetic, is beautiful. I find it sincere, warm, honest and particularly delicate compared to other cultures. It is a great pleasure for me to discover it!

I was deeply impressed by the kimchi cooking lessons scenes with the mother and her two daughters. She was teaching them to cook but also how to treat a disease, how to share and combine tastes and values, how to comfort desperate souls ... how to live a nice/delicious life!

I also think that for the first time in his career, SIK, my idol, plays the role of a“man” and I love his performance. It is probably very close to hispersonality. I could even find this role to be relevant for what he iscurrently experiencing in his real life these days: the idea of children and ofparents’ responsibilities. It makes him be extremely sincere in some scenes.Nice!

I am still thinking of FF and of its nice messages. I shall watch it once again quite soon.  

Urnaa, hope you’llyou enjoy it; let us know your views!<

Dear Kona, my dear friend, I am extremely grateful for helping me discover this drama!!! Many thanks for the translation of the Nate article! Very good one. Love all the photos!!!

Don’t worry, be happy!

Guest altinneen

Does Lee Min Young have a fansite. She's absolutely brilliant in this show as Woo Joo and I am super enthralled by her. I hope she does a lot more acting now that she's back. 

Hello dear FF Funs!

Dear Marrsq, we are all the same indeed but the Asian way of speaking about"us" is poetic, is beautiful. I find it sincere, warm, honest and particularly delicate compared to other cultures. It is a great pleasure for me to discover it!

I was deeply impressed by the kimchi cooking lessons scenes with the mother and her two daughters. She was teaching them to cook but also how to treat a disease, how to share and combine tastes and values, how to comfort desperate souls ... how to live a nice/delicious life!

I also think that for the first time in his career, SIK, my idol, plays the role of a“man” and I love his performance. It is probably very close to hispersonality. I could even find this role to be relevant for what he iscurrently experiencing in his real life these days: the idea of children and ofparents’ responsibilities. It makes him be extremely sincere in some scenes.Nice!

I am still thinking of FF and of its nice messages. I shall watch it once again quite soon.  

Urnaa, hope you’llyou enjoy it; let us know your views!<

Dear Kona, my dear friend, I am extremely grateful for helping me discover this drama!!! Many thanks for the translation of the Nate article! Very good one. Love all the photos!!!

Don’t worry, be happy!

Hi Sahyang...

I've said this in my previous post and I say it again...I regret not joining in this forum. I love the people here, matured and happy-go-lucky with experiences and memories that seems to surface when watching this drama. Unlike another very HOT drama forum, a lot of bashing and comparison to other dramas. 

I think it boils down to the drama itself, LIFE imitates ART. In this case we are all very laid back and easy going just like Earth & Man  and all its wonderful characters. While some other dramas are adrenalin rush making the contributors also very hyper...LOL

All I can say is I LOVE this drama, it left a deep mark in me. Makes me feel like being a better person, more understanding and caring. Also, it makes me want to enjoy life to the fullest. This is fiction but feels so real. Feels like there really is Earth & Man restaurant and its people.    

THE BEST!!!

Hello FF fans, I know many of us are rooting for this traditional-rap song.

I found a better version of lyrics in English from Asia-Drama.

박선주 _ 천지인 (feat.서진실, 배누리)(발효가족 OST)

Park Seon Joo - Heaven and Earth (feat. seojinsil, baenuri) (Fermentation Family OST)

6813867088_980b03d90c_o.jpg

Heaven, Earth and Man (Cheon Jin In) - Lyric English Translation by Asia-Drama

Morning comes, dream’s over and a day begins

The great taste is here today

Walk along the clouds, along the love

I talk with you with tasty voice

Forget the past me and start anew

This is Cheon Ji In that cooks rice and boils stew

Happiness because of you, laughter because of you

The love is fun, hence tasteful sound

The sound of rice cooking, the sound stews boiling, a day begins again here

A tasty sound, the sound of happiness boiling, a day begins again today

Heoye heoye heo heoye heoye heo

Today as well, opening two arms with heart and kicking up your heels

Looking past the hill, I see my friends

Footsteps are faster the wind

Find friendly people and embrace your tomorrow’s dreams

Cook rice, boil stew, again here, dance joyfully

Sing like us, dance, dance joyfully

Arirang, arirang, arariyo, here we go

Let’s start here, the tasteful sounds

Follow the wind as a day begins, be friends with the clouds of heaven

Life is interesting, good, very good

Arirang, Arirang, Arariyo

Crossing over Arirang pass, dear who abandoned me, shall not walk even ten miles before the feet hurt

Ari Ari Arirang, arariyo

Open your arms and put your hands up, arariyo

Let’s play together, dance, dance joyfully

Follow the wind as a day begins, be friends with the clouds of heaven

Life is interesting, good, very good

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OST and Lyric Links can be found on Page 1 of this thread.

Archived