[Drama 2011] [2011-12-07] Fermentation Family 발효가족

KonaBeans

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Auntie Mame, in this thread, "Your Wish is My Command" :D .  I've been listening to this OST endlessly in the car too, but only when I'm driving alone :P .

Does Lee Min Young have a fansite. She's absolutely brilliant in this show as Woo Joo and I am super enthralled by her. I hope she does a lot more acting now that she's back. 

Lee Min Young was a pleasant surprise to me from episode 1.  I'm looking forward to see more of her in other dramas. I don't know any fansite of hers, but here's an older article about her lovely character in FF.

Rich and Colorful Expressions of Lee Min Young

In JTBC’s Wednesday and Thursday drama series Fermentation Family,  Woo Joo (played by Lee Min Young) successfully made a comeback, and  shows the pure charisma. The many variety of her acting expressions have  attracted attention.

Woo Joo who loves to smile, but also loves  to cry often makes some very strange sounds. People who saw her for the  first time will at a loss at her innocent look. But everybody will be  deeply moved by her innocent heart gradually.

Lee Min Young asks  people whom she first met the questions such as have you eaten or not.  And she will also displays colorful expressions of naive, angry,  thoughtful, loneliness and etc. Her pure charisma shows the Woo Joo’s  characteristics just right.

Particularly, Woo Joo has a smile that  can impress the world. And her strenuous smile, heart-warming smile,  teary smile, his every ‘smile’ brings different characteristic.

kimchi-lee-min-young-expressions.jpg

In  episode 7 and 8, there is a scene where when Woo Joo saw the customer  of Chunjiin Youg Geum (played by Kim Do Yeon) been looked down by the  guy she liked, she happily said, “She is better than you by a lot.”  Then, she said to Kim Do Yeon who always blames her, “I really doesn’t  like this way. Always been despised by others,” and started to cry.

by Asian-Drama

Lee Min Young's role was not easy to perform.  If she had not given such a well-balanced performance, her character could have been turned into a doofus.  And, clearly, that was not the type of character the writer and director wanted.  Evil or goody-two-shoe characters are easy to play.  But, delicate and sensitive characters requires someone with strong acting skills.  Lee Min Young was quite impressive in her role. 

@KonaBeans:  I play the song in my car, too.   Unfortunately, my son is sick of hearing it because he rides in my car.  Although, he was intrigued in the beginning with the rapping.  hahaha :P  The lyrics are lovely and befitting of the drama.

I wish there really is a Heaven, Earth and Man at which we all can meet.  We would have such a lovely time there because the people who love this drama and this thread have something in common.  We value the goodness that is in people.  And, we look for and see the goodness that is in a person.  And, we value the person above all else. 

My sister-in-law watched this drama on my recommendation.  At the end, she described "Heaven, Earth and Man" as 'magical'.  She is correct.  It is magic.  The magic was the attitude of the family, who  presumed on the goodness of the person, and was not judgmental about the  person's past.

You  know the sociological perspective:  'Treat a person as if he is a  criminal, and he'll become a criminal.'  And, vice versa.  :)

Thursday, December 29, 2011 

Fermentation Family Tells About Modern Social Problems

Fermentation Family (Kimchi Family) has evolved into a masterpiece drama series.

In the Fermentation Family that debuted on December 7th, 2011,  contemporary social issues have been portraying through various plots,  and this has attracted the audience’s attention. The screenplay writer  Kim Ji Woo has showing the issues of single mother, school violence,  different in attitude to the weak in society through Resurrection,  Prince of Devil and other projects. This time, author Kim Ji Woo once  again reproduced the style of his work.

“Now is the society where people doesn’t even know somebody in  neighbor’s house has passed away. Why people becomes increasingly  vicious? It’s because of problem of global warming?” Some social  messages are conveyed indirectly through these dialog lines. In future  there will be some issues about materialism and elderly living alone.

kimchi-masterpiece.jpg

A relevant person of TV station said, “I ​​heard that before playing  ‘fermentation family’ will play on the story of daily life, not only get  hold of entertainment part, but also to get hold of the part of  humanitarian. Expect the upward trend in future.”

Fermentation Family is about unrelated people gathering together, just  like the fermentation process of kimchi, successfully becomes a real  family at last through many fermentation process.

Asian-Drama

I just finished watching episode 3 now and I really like it, I hope withs2 will finish subbing from episode 13 onwards because I think I am going to be addicted to this drama. Do you know where can I download good english subs aside from withs2?

Guest Sahyang

Auntie, I fully share your wish : there really is a Heaven, Earth and Man at which we all can meet.  We would have such a lovely time there because the people who love this drama and this thread have something in common.  We value the goodness that is in people.  And, we look for and see the goodness that is in a person.  And, we value the person above all else. 

We all need such a space full of love, tenderness, kindness, warmth!

Heaven, Earth and Man is the "brightest and warmest" place in the world! The performance of all those who made FF is 1000 times more valuable as they did it under freezing conditions! it was so cold over there! the days were very short ...most scenes were in the dark...really great performance!!!!

And Lee Min Young is fantastic! She had one of the most challenging and difficult characters to portray and she did it so well!!! Impressive! I remember her in the "after kiss" scene when she was worried about her sisters' being with fever. I loved her so much!

I just finished watching episode 3 now and I really like it, I hope withs2 will finish subbing from episode 13 onwards because I think I am going to be addicted to this drama. Do you know where can I download good english subs aside from withs2?

I am so very late in wanting to watch this drama after hearing so many good things about it. But downloading by torrents is at such a snailing pace. :sweatingbullets: I started downloading nearly a month but still can't get all episodes. Ep3 (H264.480p-SHINs) is at 45%, ep6 only 8.9% are some examples. I don't even dare to dl ep18 and ep24 as both are 720p-Spider.mp4. There doesn't seem to be lower versions for these 2 eps.

Consolation is that WithS2 is slow (NOT complaining at all blush.gif ) with FF so I still have time to hopefully get all the episodes. werra don't worry, you can be assured WithS2 will finish subbing, just have to be patient. You can get the subs from darksmurf but since this is not a 'popular' drama the fans are also very slow at subbing.

Grateful thanks to those who love this show and still seeding (sometimes only 1 or 2 seeds, sometimes none). :wub: Hope more can take the special time to seed again. Thanks in advance. :wub:

Guest Sahyang

Hello dear HEM (Heaven, Earth and Man) friends!

What’s the menu today? I’m hungry!!!:crazy:

What about cabbage kimchi to start with? This is the only one I tasted! I had it with soup and rice! Loved it! When FF began I was very keen to taste the Korean cuisine and I found two Korean restaurants here in Brussels!

I think this was one of the first kimchi receipt we saw in FF.

I remember the fight scene in the very beginning. KHT was peacefully cutting his nails while the bad boys were threatening the poor guy.After taking him away, the fight between KHT and the others began. While the fists were flying around, there were also some kimchi preparation images, cutting the cabbage etc. These kind of mixed images, of fighting fists and kitchen cooking scenes were so funny and meaningful! And all the scenes with the bad boys were full of fun and humor.One could not stop loving the bad boys too! :wub: 

What's the next course, please?

Love you all here

:wub: 

Man I should have started watching this program when Auntie Mame was raving about this drama. As usual I went the other route. Anyway, I started watching the first episode and I was thinking why is Auntie Mame raving about a gangster and the restaurant. Well as with all Kdrama, you have to watch at least 2 or 3 episodes before you either like it or you hate it. Well, I love it and I can't seem to do anything without going back to watch another episode. I am on episode 12 and I am enjoying watching the sisters making the various "kimchi" and all the mouth watering dishes.

One question I need to ask (I know I can get my answer but I am too lazy to go back) is there someone in this group doing a recap of each episodes? I would like to read it because when I am watching a drama, I sometime miss something. If not, that's okay.

Thank you again everyone and have a great week.

Man I should have started watching this program when Auntie Mame was raving about this drama. As usual I went the other route. Anyway, I started watching the first episode and I was thinking why is Auntie Mame raving about a gangster and the restaurant. Well as with all Kdrama, you have to watch at least 2 or 3 episodes before you either like it or you hate it. Well, I love it and I can't seem to do anything without going back to watch another episode. I am on episode 12 and I am enjoying watching the sisters making the various "kimchi" and all the mouth watering dishes.

One question I need to ask (I know I can get my answer but I am too lazy to go back) is there someone in this group doing a recap of each episodes? I would like to read it because when I am watching a drama, I sometime miss something. If not, that's okay.

Thank you again everyone and have a great week.

I am so glad I am watching this gem of a drama. Yes, I was also curious when Auntie Mame (she has great taste), kamkar and FF fans raving about this drama but was still not interested enough until I saw thundie's review. You can read it at

http://thundiesprattle.com/2012/02/10/fermentation-family/#more-20514

I started the painstaking, snailing downloads 3-4 weeks ago and only managed to download episode 3 2 days ago with the links werra (million thanks) provided. :wub:

When I was watching episode 2 I was still not feeling it and thinking its so slow moving, even though I love the food art and cinematography. But ep3 moved my heart when I watch the part when the ex-thug went to Eun-bi's school and they walked back home. I rewatched the scene many times of how Eun-bi was literally running to keep up with the ex-thug and holding his hand and was still sorta running to keep pace with him. He finally realized and slowed down his walk to accommodate her little feet. :wub:

I finished ep4 last night and now I am hooked. There are so many beautiful, meaningful moments that I am savoring it. I love, love the making of the different kimchis' and so wish to join the meals that they have.

@KonaBeans, thanks for this beautiful thread and all the info, images etc. I am enjoying backreading now.

You wrote If I end up eating kimchi at the end of epi 24, then the drama is a success. So are you eating kimchi now? :lol: I also don't know how to appreciate the taste of kimchi, I can only get the cabbage variety where I stay and its expansive and doesn't taste nice.

Thanks to FF fans who helped to seed :wub: I have finally got all the episodes (though its mix-match versions and subs don't sync so well for some).

@simplesim, I'm glad you're enjoying FF.  To be honest, although I finished 24 episodes, I watched some twice without and with subs, but I haven't tried kimchi, but I promise I will next time I go to the Korean buffet :P .    

I know soft subs from WITHS2 are not necessary synced up to some of the 720 raw files, so I did the resync myself.  Try 1- 13 HERE to see if they work for you.  

DOWNLOAD WITHS2 ReSync Softsubs 1 - 13

@sahyang, one thing none of us mentioned about FF is the daily menu.   It's something very unique about this restaurant and the drama.  I wish there's one like Heaven Earth and Man near where I live, I'd probably go there everyday like Mr. Seol "the annoying grandpa" and the "left-out" man Byung Man. I haven't watch WITHS2 softsubs but I hope they translate the menu and the words beneath.  

Some beautiful scenes that I couldn't help but capturing for my own keepsakes.  

click to enlarge

6823968826_cea4241f7b_z.jpg

6823969006_dfde3978f7_z.jpg

6823969246_b308496533_z.jpg

6970411527_55f261e652_z.jpg

6823968478_fc6a152741_z.jpg

6527124277_5dc971987e_z.jpg

6823969408_02ff82658b_z.jpg

6970092163_841d266bc7_z.jpg

6823970730_67a43753d9_z.jpg

6970411621_8b45f0d2ea_z.jpg

This one especially for Auntie Mame :P

6835131034_aca66de498_z.jpg

6824289618_4b52a023a9_z.jpg

6970092323_ebe5fcc2fe_z.jpg

6823969544_dbf7657c51_z.jpg

6970092003_1365cb8acb_z.jpg

6823970256_2292bd2833_z.jpg

6824289786_6d18022d29_z.jpg

6823970416_c1b6998cee_z.jpg

6753614661_daaf65684b_z.jpg

6788236908_d64a857a5c_z.jpg

6970160017_1b2605e7d5_z.jpg

6824078250_4db3567227_z.jpg

6824324160_2694d1bd36_z.jpg

6970446575_832dcf9f81_z.jpg

There  is a mountain, a river and a   valley in the course of a life.  But, we  do not fear as long as we   have someone to be with.  Don’t worry, be  happy.

@simplesim, I'm glad you're enjoying FF.  To be honest, although I finished 24 episodes, I watched some twice without and with subs, but I haven't tried kimchi, but I promise I will next time I go to the Korean buffet :P .    

I know soft subs from WITHS2 are not necessary synced up to some of the 720 raw files, so I did the resync myself.  Try 1- 13 HERE to see if they work for you.  

Hi KonaBeans, thanks for the resync subs. Sorry but it doesn't work as my files are from many sources (I look for the lower versions as my dl is very slow). WithS2 is so very good and kind by providing so many versions. Too bad I am a techno dummy, not knowing how to resync. :sweatingbullets:

I am trying not to watch too fast as I will have to wait for subs as there's only subs up to eps13. blush.gif Yay! Just saw WithS2 has finally released subs for eps14-16! Thanks soooo much WithS2 team. :wub:

Thanks for the beautiful hires images. :wub:

Btw, I just bought another pack of homemade kimchi to try, but the strong pungent smell already don't agree with me. :rolleyes: How I wish to try those at Chun Ji In.

Guest Sahyang

Dear Kona, thank you for this beatiful song lyrics and the photos: Today I feel like

Heoye heoye heo heoye heoye heo

Heoye heoye heo heoye heoye heo

Arirang, Arirang, Arariyo

Hi all:

I need a clarification please (I know if I go back I will find the answer but I know I can my answers quicker here). Okay there are so many characters in this drama and I just finished epis. 17 and they were mentioning names - I will put this in as a spoiler because I don't want to give it away and other people might want to watch it without spoiling the plot.

Ko Sun Woo and Ko Sang Keuk - Sun Woo is Ho Teh father and Sang Keuk Is the sister's father - is this correct??? And Ki Ho Teh real's name is Ko Han Dol - so does this mean the woman in who is trying to buy the restaurant is his mother??? Help me on this one.

I am really enjoying this drama now.

Hi all:

I need a clarification please (I know if I go back I will find the answer but I know I can my answers quicker here).  Okay there are so many characters in this drama and I just finished epis. 17 and they were mentioning names - I will put this in as a spoiler because I don't want to give it away and other people might want to watch it without spoiling the plot.

Ko Sun Woo and Ko Sang Keuk - Sun Woo is Ho Teh father and Sang Keuk Is the sister's father - is this correct??? And Ki Ho Teh real's name is Ko Han Dol - so does this mean the woman in who is trying to buy the restaurant is his mother???  Help me on this one.

I am really enjoying this drama now.

kaciemom,

according to Dramafever's subs, Ko Sun Woo and Ko Sang Deuk (Keuk) are cousins.  Ko Sun Woo is Ho Tae's father.  It is right that Ho Tae's real name is Ko Han Dol, and the chairwoman who's trying to buy the restaurant is his real mother.  Ko Sang Deuk is not Kang San & Woo Joo's runaway father.   Their father's name is Lee Ki-Chan.

About Ko Sang Deuk.  This man was killed by the chairman's assistant, Woo Tae Bok, over a woman.   The chairman helped Woo Tae Bok cover up the murder, and later uses it to threaten Tae Bok from revealing the truth about kidnapping Ho Tae.

I hope this helps.

%3Ca%20href=ff21.jpg">

Okay, here's my contribution to the FF photo album.  (I think this was in ep. 1 or 2.)

@KonaBeans:  Thank you for my special photo.  You'll never know how much your one simple act meant to me today.

Hellooooo Everyone~ 

I know that I've been MIA the past week to 10 days.  Well, real life caught up with me . . . big time.  The last time I posted, I was perfectly healthy.  On that Monday, I even went to do my doctor for regular cholesterol count, etc, blood work.  Tuesday, went to my dental cleaning appointment.  By Wednesday, I had fever and sever coughing that was so bad that I had bronchial spasms and I couldn't breath, which landed me in ER, which landed me in the hospital until this past Sunday.  I was negative for the flu, asthma and my chest x-rays were clear.  They gave me mega doses of antibiotics, which helped but still didn't clear up everything.  In the meantime, my son also had a bad cold.  So, I came home.

But, I haven't been on-line much because the lack of oxygen makes me tired and lack concentration.  And, to boot, I was just served with divorce papers today (which was not unexpected).

Ladies, I can really use a "Heaven, Earth and Man" right now . . .   And, with what the drama has shown me is that I will be okay.

*quoted image**quoted image*">

Okay, here's my contribution to the FF photo album.  (I think this was in ep. 1 or 2.)

@KonaBeans:  Thank you for my special photo.  You'll never know how much your one simple act meant to me today.

Hellooooo Everyone~ 

I know that I've been MIA the past week to 10 days.  Well, real life caught up with me . . . big time.  The last time I posted, I was perfectly healthy.  On that Monday, I even went to do my doctor for regular cholesterol count, etc, blood work.  Tuesday, went to my dental cleaning appointment.  By Wednesday, I had fever and sever coughing that was so bad that I had bronchial spasms and I couldn't breath, which landed me in ER, which landed me in the hospital until this past Sunday.  I was negative for the flu, asthma and my chest x-rays were clear.  They gave me mega doses of antibiotics, which helped but still didn't clear up everything.  In the meantime, my son also had a bad cold.  So, I came home.

But, I haven't been on-line much because the lack of oxygen makes me tired and lack concentration.  And, to boot, I was just served with divorce papers today (which was not unexpected).

Ladies, I can really use a "Heaven, Earth and Man" right now . . .   And, with what the drama has shown me is that I will be okay.

OMG, Auntie Mame - praying for a healthy recovery. That is not fun when you caught someone's bad germ. Please take care of yourself. I was wondering where you were because you are the one who introduced me to this drama and I have not seen your post for awhile. Again, don't rush thing and take it easy - your health is too important.

As for the serving of the paper - I am so sorry. Hopefully you can work things out.

@KonaBeans - thank you so much for the clarification - that really help. I was going crazy because with the translation I sometime miss the important information. Now the challenge to finish watching this program - it is now all the parts are following into places.

Thank you again KonaBeans :lol:

Ladies,  I can really use a "Heaven, Earth and Man" right now . . .   And, with  what the drama has shown me is that I will be okay.

Oh, Auntie Mame, sorry to read this....Of course you will be fine. 

My prayer for you is to take time for yourself and family.  Find things to do with your family and friends that keeps you connected to those you love and your community.   Please keep the main things, the main things.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone because we are all Irish on that day. 

Dear Auntie Mame,

"Hope your burdens are feeling lighter,

And each day is a little bit brighter."

FIGHTING !!!

Your presence in this forum makes it more lively. 

FF has many more beautiful cinematographic shots but I have yet captured them all.

Since yesterday, Ho-Tae Song IL-Kook's fans have been overwhelmed with the news of the birth of his triplet sons. 

Archived