[Drama 2011] Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

Guest asadal

Asadal, thanks for the information.

Opened with 11.5% TNmS rating.

With this rating, is it consider a good start?  King Geunchogo had 8.9 rating for its ep 1.

He was actually known to lead his armored calvary into battle (called gaemamusa - think cataphract). I'd imagine it was a great morale boost by having your king riding with you into battles.

Was he the first king to fight the war?  Agree with you.  Having the king to lead the battle, it's a great morale to his men and soldiers.

She's the youngest daughter of general Go Mu, everybody acknowledges she's a woman. Although I'm not familiar with her character or who she's based off from.

Lee In Hae - she's sweet-looking, very talkative in the interview.  Haha...  But I have never seen her shows yet.  Hopefully, she has a good character in this drama.  She acts as the king's follower.  Wonder if she will fall for the king?  It's hard not to fall for a handsome, warrior king, right?

What fascinate me to want to watch this drama, is the music when it's played in the preview, besides my favourite lead actor and actress.  With 60 long episodes, I guess it will end in December.

By the way, is this drama King Gwanggaeto, the Great, the continuation of King Geunchogo? 

The synopsis is extracted from DramaWiki:

"A drama detailing the life of King Gwanggaeto, the Great, who restored the glory of Goguryeo by wresting power back from Baekje, which had invaded Goguryeo prior to Gwanggaeto's birth and dominated East Asia under the rule of King Geunchogo."

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sela_07

King Gwanggaeto (aka Damdeok) , the Great, was the 19th ruler of Goguryeo. King Guenchogo (aka Yeogu) was the 13th ruler of Baekje.

King Guenchogo of Baekje was in conflict with King Gogugwon (aka Sayu) the 16th ruler of Goguryeo. I was cheering for Baekje back then now its Goguryeo's turn :).

I think it wasnt uncommon during the 3 kingdom era for kings to lead and fight with his soldiers. King Gwanggaeto wasnt the first nor the last.

As far as rating goes 11.5% is considered a decent start. I would be worried if it was below 10%. The last big sageuk hit (over 40%) was Queen Seon Deok (2yrs ago).

farhah1986

I think this verson of Damdeok will be based "more" on legend/folktales rather than myths/fairytale-ish (like how it was in The Legend). To be honest I prefer folktales with history in the mix because its more realistic.

bonds

The Legend in 2007, acted by Bae Yong Jun is the same story. King Guenchogo's rating was unfortunately poor :(. The final episode was lower than this drama's 1st episode.

Semi-fly, thank you so much for the upload of HANrel (700MB).  Appreciated.

Sela_07, thanks for the information.  I'm grasping some basic history now.  However, the names are confusing.  It seems like the kings loved to have their names starting with the letter 'G'.  That's when I'm confused.  Haha...

I have respect for kings who lead in the battlefield with their fellow men.  It goes to show that they were not afraid to die so as to protect their country.  But I'm somehow surprise that the king father and queen mother allowed their heir to fight in the war unless they had other princes to ascend to the  throne.

Queen Seon Deok had started off very well with a high rating.  I hope this drama's rating will improve as time goes by.  I'm still downloading it as the speed is very slow; I don't know why.

Guest farhah1986

I wonder if there is any english subtitle?I hope there is subtitle for this drama,because I hardly understand their conversation.Although by watching raw video I can understand what is happening,it much better if someone can sub this drama.Actually I'm suprised that this drama already start with war in the first episode.I hope this drama won't focus much on internal struggle within the palace because it can hinder the main focus of this drama about Gwanggaeto life.I really love the action scene and sound effect i this drama plus excellent acting from all cast.

Guest dramaok

Lee In Hae - she's sweet-looking, very talkative in the interview.  Haha...  But I have never seen her shows yet.  Hopefully, she has a good character in this drama.  She acts as the king's follower.  Wonder if she will fall for the king?  It's hard not to fall for a handsome, warrior king, right?

약연 (Yak Yeon) by Lee In Hae looks good with Damdeok, but technically she is actually his aunt.

so I am not sure about their loveline. probably not (although the KBS website relationship chart suggests yes).

Yak Yeon's father is Go Mu (Yodong Fort Chief).

and Go Mu is the younger brother of Goguryeo's 16th King, Goguwon (played by Lee Jong Won in the drama Geunchogo).

and the current Goguryeo king, Gogugyang in the drama is Goguwon's son, and Go Mu's newphew, so, Yak Yeon's cousin.

sub14menu2.jpg

I enjoyed ep. 1-2. I was surprised at the speed and pace of the drama. I almost think it's too fast?

As though I somehow missed the first 10 episodes and the drama began at ep. 11 or something

when it's actually just ep. 1.

But I am not really complaining.

Lee Tae Gon is not quite getting the sageuk speech down, so it sounds a bit awkward, but he looks hot.

I think the drama should be really interesting by around ep. 10, when more characters are introduced.

Guest Sela_07

Sadly I dont think anyone is subbing this drama because its very long. This makes it hard to share thoughts on each episodes.

I'm still watching King Guenchogo on KBS with subs and I'm guessing that King Gwanggaeto will follow in a few weeks.

June 8, 2011

New Historical Drama Makes Impressive Debut

Writer: Sung Hyun-mi Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

The new KBS1 historical drama “Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror” opened its curtain on June 4 amid much anticipation. Lee Tae-gon, who plays the title role, succeeded in delivering an impressive performance from the first episode.

992_2630_l.jpg

Dam-deok, the second son of King Gogukyang of Goguryeo who later becomes King Gwanggaeto, decides to become an army general from early on since he -- not being the eldest -- cannot succeed to the throne. He receives training in a strategically important area in defending the nation. He does not think he is a chosen prince but regards himself as an ordinary general, displaying audacity in a battle.

Emperor Mo Yong-soo (Kim Dong-hyun) of China’s Later Yan plans to attack Goguryeo and orders his son Mo Yong-bo (Im Ho) lead some 150,000 troops to take the Korean kingdom. But Goguryeo is tipped off by Gae Go-un (Kim Seung-soo), a son of Premier Gae Yeon-su (Choi Dong-joon) and a friend of Dam-deok’s who impersonated a merchant to get the information from China, and Dam-deok makes plans to kill the Chinese emperor by himself.

992_2631_l.jpg

His plans are to prepare sacks filled with oil and wait in ambush for the Chinese emperor to appear with his troops, and then to light the sacks aflame. But the Chinese arrive there earlier than he expected and catches Dam-deok and his men setting up the oil sacks. They attack, and Dam-deok jumps into the water and fights against the Chinese soldiers. But he is caught alive when a Chinese soldier throws a hook and ensnares him.

The fighting scenes in the water proved impressive to many viewers, as they filled the drama board with messages about them.

The story about one of the greatest kings in Korean history, “Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror” consists of 80 episodes and airs every Saturday and Sunday at 9:40 p.m. on KBS1.

Guest farhah1986

So Dam Deok is not the eldest son?I wonder what make the situation turn around that finally make him to be a king.I hope this drama won't focus much in internal struggle like King Geunchogo.I love the first two episode and I'm now want to see his growth to be a great king.If this drama really take 80 episode then I hope we can get to see him as a king at least half of the episode or earlier.

IMPRESSIVE, for the first two episodes.  I am surprise that they have started the drama with a war.  I would have thought that this drama is coming to an end with that fierce battle and Damdeok being captured by his enemy.  All the soldiers look alike and I am confused as to who are good and bad.  Thus I try to recognise them by their armours.  With his moustache and beard, I couldn't recognise Lee Tae Gon neither until he fought in the war as a young warrior.

Didn't know that the war was against China.  I thought it was one korean kingdom against some officials and generals who had wanted to overthrow the king.  I was rather confused watching the drama, as to who is who.

I love the chinese calligraphy.  With that huge brush and the ink dripping everywhere when Damdeok was writing, I thought it would turn out messy but surprising the wordings were somehow neat.

How many brothers and sisters did Damdeok have?  From the picture above, he seemed to have a brother and a sister.  So, Damdeok was not the elder son.  That's why he didn't expect to ascend to the throne but to fight in the war instead?  However, how did he become the king eventually?  His elder brother was killed?  I don't think Damdeok was the kind of person who would fight for the throne.  Can't wait to see how the drama unfolds his life.

This drama has 80 episodes?  Which means that it will end till next year.  If it has a good viewership, I'm not surprise at all.  Anyway, this is one king I actually take interest in, to actually watch and enjoy.  But I hope there is an english subs for this drama so as to understand it better.  I couldn't understand every korean words they speak, especially when they are in the sageuk language.  But you guys make the show even more interesting with explanations and clarifications for me to understand and appreciate history.  Thank you so much.

Yak Yeon is Damdeok's aunt?  But she seems younger than him.  Well, there is no way that a nephew would fall for and marry his aunt, especially in the olden days, unless they make this show an exception.  But Do Young will come into the picture later which I guess Damdeok will fall for her instead, unless they are matchmaked by their parents since young.  Do Young is Premier Gae Yeon-su's daughter and Gae Go-un's younger sister.  Go-un may have introduced Do Young to Daedeok, unless these families know each other.

In almost every drama, there is always a triangle love so to spice up the show,  Thus it's Yak Yeon - Damdeok - Do Young.  But what about Sul Ji (Kim Jung Hwa)?  Will she fall for Damdeok too?  What I dislike about the kings are that they had too many wives and concubines.  These women were often nelgected by them.  Wonder how many wives and concubines did Damdeok have?

I'm still very confused with the kings' names and their relationships.

I guess, coming from the main source, that there's going to be 80 eps in the series . . .

The story about one of the greatest kings in Korean history, “Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror” consists of 80 episodes and airs every Saturday and Sunday at 9:40 p.m. on KBS1.

Dramaok, I'm curious.  Looking at the casts chart that you have attached, any idea what the flags in the picture mean?  Do they represent individual kingdom / territory?  Because Go-un's family has a flag above them too.  But his father was just a minister to King Gogukyang, right?  Yak Yeon's family doesn't have a flag above them.

I'm getting into the picture as to who is who now, until more characters are introduced.

The correlation charts

http://wiki.d-addict...lationChart.jpg

2f3bcbdfa8464c0b20ee5157229b8dd7_large.jpg

Looking at the correlation charts, it seems that 3 women would fall for Damdeok - Do Young, Yak Yeon and Sul Ji.  It also seems that there is another guy for Do Young, besides Damdeok.  Interesting...

And Go-un is married to Dam-deok's younger sister, Damjoo?  He is later killed.

I don't know what the blue and green lines in the chart represent.  That the Goguyeo kingdom is being attacked and/or protected by other kingdoms and territories?

King Gogukyang (Damdeok's father) was the son of King Goguwon - the 16th ruler of Goguryeo, right?  So, if Damdeok's father was the 17th ruler of Goguyeo - King Gogukyang, and Damdeok was the 19th ruler - King Gwanggaeto, then who was the 18th ruler?  Damdeok's eldest brother, Dammang, the heir to the throne, who is later killed?

China had invaded Goguryeo, right?  And Damdeok was fighting against her to get back his country?  I'm still very impressed with the underwater fight in ep 1, arrows shooting into the water to kill Damdeok and the hooks were thrown in, to capture him.  Damdeok came out of the water for some fresh air, only to be seen by his enemy.  He should have swum far away from that area, to escape but I guess he had no more oxygen left in his lung.  I wonder why Damdeok's men didn't try to save him but instead watched helplessly when he was captured alive by their enemy.

Were Korea and Japan being influenced by China in the olden days, when China had invaded these countries? Even though Korea and Japan have their own languages, they use chinese wordings fairly often.  Just like Koreans love to eat sushi as they were influenced by the Japanese people in the past.

June 10, 2011

Kim Jeong Hwa in 'Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror' Becomes Female Warrior

Writer: KBSi Jin Young Ju Picture: Bliss Media Copyright ⓒ KBS & KBSi

Actress Kim Jeong Hwa transformed into a female warrior by presenting her impressive warrior appearance with a double-edged sword, whip, and two swords in her hands. In the KBS 1TV's historical drama “Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror" that began airing from June 4, Kim Jeong Hwa plays a female warrior named "Seol Ji." She has been receiving special training from a martial arts director even before the filming began to play her character of a female warrior, and she has also learned horse riding and martial arts for the role. Her splendid action scenes during the poster shoot reportedly made other people on the set surprised.

995_2637_l.jpg

Seol Ji is a sister of the head of the Malgal tribe, Seol Do An (Kim Kyu Chul), and she is nimble thanks to her outstanding animal instincts obtained while living in a broad green grassland, and she is skilled in weapons. She will fall in love with Dam Deok (Lee Tae Goon) later in the drama, but she will be torn between Dam Deok and loyalty to her brother Seol Do An. Kim Jeong Hwa said that she became excited about playing her character because she had never played this kind of strong character before. She said, “I think that I am a very suitable actor for action performances. I constantly fell from horseback and those weapons that I had to carry were actually too heavy and it caused muscle pain, but I still feel very excited about acting in this drama. And I am very comfortable as I always have to wear pants instead of a skirt. Other actresses who appear in this drama together with me feel jealous about my costume.” Asked about her most fearsome technique in her fight scenes, she answered, “My most dreadful weapon might be my long arms and legs.” Production staff members also said, “Kim Jeong Hwa is very tall and has a long reach, so she can perform any action scene splendidly. She seemed to have been born with the blood of warrior. You might be able to see a different aspect of Kim Jeong Hwa, and you can expect splendid acting from her in the drama.”

“Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror,” which will tell the life story of the 19th king of Goguryeo, Gwanggaeto, and his desire and passion for conquering China over a total of 80 episodes, will be broadcast every Saturday and Sunday night at 9:40 pm on KBS 1TV.

Guest farhah1986

King Gogukyang (Dam-deok's father) was the son of King Goguwon - the 16th ruler of Goguryeo, right?  So, if Dam-deok's father was the 17th ruler of Goguyeo - King Gogukyang, and Dam-deok was the 19th ruler - King Gwanggaeto, then who was the 18th ruler?  Dam-deok's eldest brother, Dam-mang, the heir to the throne, who was later killed?

King Goguwon(16th ruler) while his son, King Gogukyang which is Damdeok father is the 18th ruler.After King Goguwon died,his eldest son which is King Sosurim become the next king(17th ruler).Its because his older brother died leaving no son/heir,his younger brother,king Gogukyang become the king(18th ruler).About Dam Deok older brother I know nothing about him,either he really exist or just a fictional character to make the story more interesting.

King Goguwon(16th ruler)

King Sosurim(17th ruler)

King Gogukyang(18th ruler)

King Gwanggaeto aka Dam Deok(19th ruler).

Guest asadal

Didn't know that the war was against China.  I thought it was one korean kingdom against some officials and generals who had wanted to overthrow the king.  I was rather confused watching the drama, as to who is who.

Later Yan was a Seonbi (Xianbei) kingdom, a previously nomadic people similar to the Khitans. Although they increasingly became sinicized or "chinafied" during its later years. This is set in the period where Goguryeo already drove the Chinese out of Manchuria. The timeline for the drama will go something like this; King Gwanggaetto will eventually destory their long time enemy in the west (Later Yan), subdue a bunch of tribes under one banner (Malgals, Khitans, etc), invade Baekje and rescue Silla, and just double the size of the entire country.

Guest dramaok

Dramaok, I'm curious. Looking at the casts chart that you have attached, any idea what the flags in the picture mean? Do they represent individual kingdom / territory? Because Go-un's family has a flag above them too. But his father was just a minister to King Gogukyang, right? Yak Yeon's family doesn't have a flag above them.

yes, the flags represent a tribe.

top (12'o clock) = Goguryeo Imperial family.

2'o clock = Later Yan (I think some articles will just refer to them as China, linking them as one of many tribes that lived in what is now China)

5'o clock = Malgal tribe

8'o clock = Go-un, Do-young's family is part of Goguryeo, but they are part of Sono Tribe. their dad Gye Yeon Soo is head of Sono Tribe, but he also serves the highest post inside Goguryeo court.

Guest asadal

^ Just so people dont get confused, Goguryeo was ruled by five clans, Sonno, Jeolno, Sunno, Gwanno, Kyeru. Damdeok is from Kyeru (as is most of the royal line).

Archived