[Drama 2011] Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

Guest asadal

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest farhah1986

I'm just finish watching ep23 with subtitle at KBSWorld...this episode was so sad as its reveal Dammang endless love for his younger brother Damdeok...when most ministers thought that both brother will kill each other just for power and throne Dammang and Damdeok prove that they were wrong....Dammang is indeed a wise prince but I think I can understand his decision to step down from being a crown prince in favor for Damdeok...For Dammang,Damdeok has all the qualities that a future king should have at that time..its undeniable fact that Damdeok not hesitate in his decision and has courage to stand up against those in power,Damdeok also prove himself as a great strategist during a war.So everything that he did before that bring confusion for Damdeok is just his scheme to eliminate Damdeok enemies that will stand on his way...Dammang may not able to eliminate all Damdeok enemies but he does open a way for Damdeok become a future king.

I'm just finish watching ep23 with subtitle at KBSWorld...this episode was so sad as its reveal Dammang endless love for his younger brother Damdeok...when most ministers thought that both brother will kill each other just for power and throne Dammang and Damdeok prove that they were wrong....Dammang is indeed a wise prince but I think I can understand his decision to step down from being a crown prince in favor for Damdeok...For Dammang,Damdeok has all the qualities that a future king should have at that time..its undeniable fact that Damdeok not hesitate in his decision and has courage to stand up against those in power,Damdeok also prove himself as a great strategist during a war.So everything that he did before that bring confusion for Damdeok is just his scheme to eliminate Damdeok enemies that will stand on his way...Dammang may not able to eliminate all Damdeok enemies but he does open a way for Damdeok become a future king.

i''m touched by his comments,"the only thing i can do for my brother is to remove all obstacles and open a path for him to be the Crown Prince"" That include himself,so sad.

Guest farhah1986

Ooooo... Ep 31 ended w/ such cold words from Damdeok to Do-yun!!!!

I believe that Damdeok has a soft spot for Doyun but I'm not sure whether its love or what.BUt most important is that Guksang is trying to make her daughter Damdeok wife aka crown princess to make sure he can keep his power and control Damdeok...I think thats why Damdeok started to be distance from Doyun..actually I love their chemistry and I think its a first time in this episode that I can see Damdeok tender heart for Doyun.I feel pity for Doyun because she's truly love Damdeok but his father desire make Damdeok become aware of guksang motive.Guksang is a fearful man...he use her daughter feeling for Damdeok for his won goal.

I'm sure Damdeok is in agony because he is no longer a prince but a future king so he must consider his kingdom first before anything including love of his life.I'm actually wondering whats with Sulji?why she seems following Damdeok...is she curious about him or what?

Guest katherinekang

I feel really sad for Damdeok and Doyeong. Two persons actually liking each other and here comes father Guksang in between, spoiling their relationship. I hope they will make a couple. mini cooper care about Guksang and his evil plans. This drama is starting to get very exciting. I think the Mohe lady is attracted to Damdeok as well.

I am surprised at myself. Trying to understand Korean and at the same time, while watching KBS World (in English), I managed to get most of the conversation correctly. I am improving.

I believe that Damdeok has a soft spot for Doyun but I'm not sure whether its love or what.BUt most important is that Guksang is trying to make her daughter Damdeok wife aka crown princess to make sure he can keep his power and control Damdeok...I think thats why Damdeok started to be distance from Doyun..actually I love their chemistry and I think its a first time in this episode that I can see Damdeok tender heart for Doyun.I feel pity for Doyun because she's truly love Damdeok but his father desire make Damdeok become aware of guksang motive.Guksang is a fearful man...he use her daughter feeling for Damdeok for his won goal.

I'm sure Damdeok is in agony because he is no longer a prince but a future king so he must consider his kingdom first before anything including love of his life.I'm actually wondering whats with Sulji?why she seems following Damdeok...is she curious about him or what?

I actually thought DD acted so coldly b/c Doyun told him to use her against her father Guksang & DD doesn't want Doyun to have such feelings. Give how he's been portrayed I think he wants Doyun to seek her own happiness and fulfillment in life.

I don't get anything out of Sulji.  To be honest, I don't even know why she's in the show along w/ her tribesmen. They can be cut out entirely and won't affect the show as is.

Guest farhah1986

I found the conclusion to Damdeuk's romance arc rather interesting, but makes sense given the focus of the drama not being romance. I'm happy w/ who he ended up with.

I'm also happy that Damdeok finally end up with Doyoung...it will be interesting to see Damdeok up against his father in law aka Guksang later. Guksang thought he'll be able to hold  great power after becoming Damdeok father in law but I don't think its that easy.He may still hold his power as a prime Minister but nothing more than that.Damdeok is on his way to be a great king and his achievement in war later will make Goguryo more powerful an eventually enable him to increase royal authority.

Although I'm glad that this drama is not focusing on Damdeok love story but I still hope we can see more Damdeok interaction with Doyoung... from the latest episode I can see that Yakyeon definitely has a secret feeling for Damdeok while Sulji also start showing his concern over Damdeok.Sulji look upset when Damdeok followers make a celebration for his upcoming marriage with Doyoung.

I'm also happy that Damdeok finally end up with Doyoung...it will be interesting to see Damdeok up against his father in law aka Guksang later. Guksang thought he'll be able to hold  great power after becoming Damdeok father in law but I don't think its that easy.He may still hold his power as a prime Minister but nothing more than that.Damdeok is on his way to be a great king and his achievement in war later will make Goguryo more powerful an eventually enable him to increase royal authority.

Although I'm glad that this drama is not focusing on Damdeok love story but I still hope we can see more Damdeok interaction with Doyoung... from the latest episode I can see that Yakyeon definitely has a secret feeling for Damdeok while Sulji also start showing his concern over Damdeok.Sulji look upset when Damdeok followers make a celebration for his upcoming marriage with Doyoung.

The royal inlaws who were able to amass lots of power & wealth did so b/c of the royal consort helped them, not b/c the king loved them more or something.  Since Doyoung has no intention of playing for her daddy, I think Guksang will encounter some...difficulties

Guest farhah1986

I believe Damdeok will be the king in the next couple of episodes from what I c in the coming reviews. Yeah....the Great King

I'm also think like that..since from the preview for next episode it shows that the king fall ill or maybe even pass away.

Actually I always thought that story with birth secret will always be interesting but this drama prove me wrong...since the first episode start with war I've got a feeling that this drama gonna be interesting and especially Damdeok as a second son.This drama really focus on Damdeok growth to become a great king...I have to say that Lee Tae Gon is perfect as Damdeok....

Hello fellow historical kdrama addicts,

Its nice to read some familiar names here, hi and for the newbies welcome to a very fun trip come and enjoy the ride with us. When I was watching ep 32 raw, I was hoping Damdeok did not marry Doyeong not because I don't like her, she's okay but because of the circumstance associated with the marriage. (Kept saying, don't marry, don't marry, don't marry)., am I the only one who did that when watching this? I think Doyeong is sweet (maybe too sweet, I would have personally prefer a more spirited match up with his personality), I would also have loved to have Damdeok having a one up on Guksang and if anything postponing the marriage until later/never. I don't feel anything except friendship between them even though they have set it up to be otherwise. Obtaining knowledge about Guksang special assassination army would have been nice in tying up this man, unfortunately he has not gotten that info as yet and with the marriage not sure how useful that info can be used against him. Darn, Guksang is too arrogant & powerful for his own good and he's still greedy for more. Since they are now married my next wish Doyeong don't get pregnant please, because it would be worse especially with grandpa-in-law. Lets wait and see how Damdeok deals with papa-in-law and the ministers.

I am looking forward to rewatching it with subs on mysoju or aznv.tv, because the srt are not available unless you are a VIP with WITHS2 do not blame them they have to keep the site running.

By the way what's the new guy's name (assassin chosen to kill Damdeok). I somewhat got an idea of his past but not the name, from the preview it looks like he will try to fulfill his father's will. Help me out here. Gone for now.

Hello fellow historical kdrama addicts,

Its nice to read some familiar names here, hi and for the newbies welcome to a very fun trip come and enjoy the ride with us.  When I was watching ep 32 raw, I was hoping Damdeok did not marry Doyeong not because I don't like her, she's okay but because of the circumstance associated with the marriage.  (Kept saying, don't marry, don't marry, don't marry)., am I the only one who did that when watching this? I think Doyeong is sweet (maybe too sweet, I would have personally prefer a more spirited match up with his personality), I would also have loved to have Damdeok having a one up on Guksang and if anything postponing the marriage until later/never.  I don't feel anything except friendship between them even though they have set it up to be otherwise. Obtaining knowledge about Guksang special assassination army would have been nice in tying up this man, unfortunately he has not gotten that info as yet and with the marriage not sure how useful that info can be used against him. Darn, Guksang is too arrogant & powerful for his own good and he's still greedy for more. Since they are now married my next wish Doyeong don't get pregnant please, because it would be worse especially with grandpa-in-law. Lets wait and see how Damdeok deals with papa-in-law and the ministers.

I am looking forward to rewatching it with subs on mysoju or aznv.tv, because the srt are not available unless you are a VIP with WITHS2 do not blame them they have to keep the site running.

By the way what's the new guy's name (assassin chosen to kill Damdeok).  I somewhat got an idea of his past but not the name, from the preview it looks like he will try to fulfill his father's will. Help me out here.  Gone for now.

Actually it was very logical for DD's part (politically speaking) to marry Doyoung. Also as a CP, he can't just postpone marriage forever. it's one of his many duties to marry and have a son to continue the royal line.

Guest farhah1986

Actually it was very logical for DD's part (politically speaking) to marry Doyoung. Also as a CP, he can't just postpone marriage forever. it's one of his many duties to marry and have a son to continue the royal line.

You were right....although Guksang is Damdeok political enemy there is no doubt that Guksang hold enormous power and there is no better woman other than Doyoung to be his spouse.Of course Damdeok need to get marry to continue the royal line.But this make story become more interesting as Damdeok won't let Guksang tie him up .After seeing how  Damdeok handling the court matters before he's not someone that you can easily control instead he'll be the one that gain an upper hand.

okay, I just started watching this drama. At first i was waiting for them complete subs, as I find I enjoy sageuks better, when I can watch all episodes back to back. I just recently finished King Geunchogo, so I was really impatient to watch this drama. I marathoned this drama, and watched up to episode 21.

I actually liked King Geunchogo, I liked the actor playing the king and most of the other cast members, the only one I could not stand, as in complete dislike, was the one who played Seulwa (the Wirygung princess). I know Gwanggaeto is not exactly a sequel to Geunchogo, since the story occurs several years later. But it is from the same production team and I find it interesting to continue my story of Goguryo from Jumong down. So far, if I evaluate this drama honestly, I think the acting in Geunchogo was actually stronger. There is a lot of over acting going on in this drama.

NAENOM, KAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P

Lol, I mean those 2 phrases are shouted in almost every scene. Most of the actors, are using their historical drama voices, which I think is unnecessary. I know they are using an older version of the Korean language, but that doesn't mean, they should alter their voices. The actors are literally yelling their lines, it makes it hard to take some of the scenes seriously.

That leads me to overacting point number 2. The weird soap opera type faces. They do this weird dramatic facial pauses, or smirk, or raising their lips, to show how angry they are. For example, the actor playing Seol Dan the Mohe chief, lol, his weird I am so angry eyes/smirks, makes him seem like a parody of what a pirate is supposed to be.

I hope I don't get negged for stating my opinion, especially, since even with all its faults, I like the drama. I love sageuks/Korean historical dramas. Even though, we already know what will happen, I still enjoy watching. Even though the story in every sageuk is the same, (a upper class person his betrayed, he finds his way back by meeting some lower class people, who become his loyal friends, together they fight some evil ministers/government fraction, as he tries to establish himself. Then he has to fight some wars, have a little romance along the way. Forgives bad people over and over again etc.) :lol:

Archived