[Drama 2011] Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

Guest asadal

Guest katherinekang

I wonder when Guksang will die. I hope he die badly. I am utterly sick of his 'schemes'. So is Pol Baang of Houyan. These two spoils the drama.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This drama is dumb.  The actors are hammy and over the top, they seem to be yelling rather than acting, the costumes look ridiculous, and the lead actor can't act to save his life.  He looks more like a thug than an actual king if you ask me.  Its insulting towards one of Korea's greatest historical figures.  You see more dignity in Immortal Admiral Yi Soon SHin

Guest farhah1986

I wonder when Guksang will die. I hope he die badly. I am utterly sick of his 'schemes'. So is Pol Baang of Houyan. These two spoils the drama.

From the preview for the next episode....I can see Guksang demise later because of revolt....I'm wondering whether this is the time point of change that GoUn will turn against Damdeok or not....I'll be disappointed if he did. He should know that his father capable doing it...even now he feels bitter toward Damdeok because he see Damdeok more concern about Houyoun and Bakjae rather than his sister Doyoung..but its not true...Damdeok right now carry a heavy burden on his shoulder and I can see he really worried about Doyoung. I hope both Doyoung and Damdeok will meet faster.

This drama is dumb.  The actors are hammy and over the top, they seem to be yelling rather than acting, the costumes look ridiculous, and the lead actor can't act to save his life.  He looks more like a thug than an actual king if you ask me.  Its insulting towards one of Korea's greatest historical figures.  You see more dignity in Immortal Admiral Yi Soon SHin

The lead actor doesn't hold a candle to the guy who played King Sayu in Geunchogo.

약연 (Yak Yeon) by Lee In Hae looks good with Damdeok, but technically she is actually his aunt.

so I am not sure about their loveline. probably not (although the KBS website relationship chart suggests yes).

Yak Yeon's father is Go Mu (Yodong Fort Chief).

and Go Mu is the younger brother of Goguryeo's 16th King, Goguwon (played by Lee Jong Won in the drama Geunchogo).

and the current Goguryeo king, Gogugyang in the drama is Goguwon's son, and Go Mu's newphew, so, Yak Yeon's cousin.

*quoted image*

I enjoyed ep. 1-2. I was surprised at the speed and pace of the drama. I almost think it's too fast?

As though I somehow missed the first 10 episodes and the drama began at ep. 11 or something

when it's actually just ep. 1.

But I am not really complaining.

Lee Tae Gon is not quite getting the sageuk speech down, so it sounds a bit awkward, but he looks hot.

I think the drama should be really interesting by around ep. 10, when more characters are introduced.

hi dramaok. how i wish you're doing a summary of the drama's episodes like you used to do with Jumong. Lee Tae Gon now is my second favorite saeuguk drama actor. Song Il Kook is the first one.

Guest farhah1986

What I don't want to see right now is that Doyoung and Damdeok will be separate for a long time until she give birth to a son or whatever it is...I don't want to see another Jumong storyline...Its mean that Damdeok need to take another wife if Doyoung gone missing for long. After all Damdeok need to go back to Goguryo because of Guksang treasonous act.

I'm now curious about Go Un and Doyoung reaction toward their father ,Guksang treasonous act...isn't his action will  affect Go Un and Doyoung? I'm sure it will be hard for Go Un to believe his father treasonous act because I'm sure he think that no matter how much Guksang didn't like Damdeok...his father is still ar loyal servant for Goguryo ...after alll he is Damdeok father in law...while for Doyoung she maybe feel a little bit surprised but she saw his father's color before when his father send assassin to kill Damdeok. I don't know what the writer intend to do....but if this the case ,then Guksang  must die because of treason. I'm worried this will affect Go Un / Damdeok relationship

Guest honzbear

They yelled a little bit in Yi Soon Shin too. That's the normal style of acting in many sageuks. Men especially the fighting men were more "heroic" in those days or were supposed to be. Warriors have to sound manly and aggressive.

The costumes are good. Lee Tae Gon always looks handsome in his costumes. He looked handsome even when he wore a pink tunic in, I think, episode 5?

He looks more like a thug than an actual king if you ask me. 

This comment made me laugh. He does look like a thug at times now that you mention it. But he is also very much like a king in his manner. The way he snarls and looks angry is so hot. Everything he does is hot for that matter.

I wouldn't take this drama too seriously. It's not like it's meant to be a Shakespearean play being acted on a stage. It's just entertainment and from this point of view, King Gwanggaeto the Great succeeds and Lee Tae Gon does extremely well. I can't imagine anyone else playing the role of Damdeok.

I like his aunt too. I wonder if she is related to Damdeok by blood. If she isn't then I want to see them come together eventually. I really like her character. She has a lot of spunk, and like Damdeok, has done a lot to save Goguryeo from her enemies.

Guest katherinekang

I supposed all actors and actresses will have to act the way the directors want them to perform. Some actors snarled and growled like tigers and grizziles and like some actresses scream, shout and pull hair. Part and parcel of acting in Korea. Too bad for most of us who loves sagueks but not their style. Maybe a few hundred or a thousand year ago, men are like that, a bit barbaric.

I like and love Lee Tae Gon's acting, he is fantastic. Everyone should give him a break. Most actors underperform when they are new and when they have more years of experience, they shone like stars. Lee Tae-gon, show your best!!

Guest farhah1986

They yelled a little bit in Yi Soon Shin too. That's the normal style of acting in many sageuks. Men especially the fighting men were more "heroic" in those days or were supposed to be. Warriors have to sound manly and aggressive.

The costumes are good. Lee Tae Gon always looks handsome in his costumes. He looked handsome even when he wore a pink tunic in, I think, episode 5?

This comment made me laugh. He does look like a thug at times now that you mention it. But he is also very much like a king in his manner. The way he snarls and looks angry is so hot. Everything he does is hot for that matter.

I wouldn't take this drama too seriously. It's not like it's meant to be a Shakespearean play being acted on a stage. It's just entertainment and from this point of view, King Gwanggaeto the Great succeeds and Lee Tae Gon does extremely well. I can't imagine anyone else playing the role of Damdeok.

I like his aunt too. I wonder if she is related to Damdeok by blood. If she isn't then I want to see them come together eventually. I really like her character. She has a lot of spunk, and like Damdeok, has done a lot to save Goguryeo from her enemies.

I'm also agree with you about look like a thug than a crown prince...it never cross my mind and it does make me laugh...I think Lee tae Gon did well in his role as Damdeok and I couldn't imagine other person play as him plus he look handsome in his costume..I'm a fan of historical drama and I can say that Lee tae Gon as a king in this drama is one of  the most handsome king I ever watch. I'm looking forward to see how he transform Gogoryo as a powerful country later on. I don't think 60 episode is enough for this drama...at least this show need 80 episode to cover his time as a king.I'm wondering when will Damdeok finally ascend the throne and will Doyoung truly become his Queen? We know that Douyong right now is a crown princess but with her gone missing with unborn child and Guksang planning a treason I wonder how Doyoung and Damdeok will meet again. I don't want to see Damdeok marry another woman other than Doyoung.

There were no internal power struggles during Damdeok's reign. Which allowed him to conquer territory with an ease of mind. The first country he attacked upon becoming the King at the age of 19 is Baekje. Why is later Yan the primary enemy in this? Baekje and it's Japanese allies should be the main enemy.

There were no internal power struggles during Damdeok's reign. Which allowed him to conquer territory with an ease of mind. The first country he attacked upon becoming the King at the age of 19 is Baekje. Why is later Yan the primary enemy in this? Baekje and it's Japanese allies should be the main enemy.

I tire of internal struggles.  It killed King Geunchogo for me.  There were probably sleazy politicians at the time, but not very notable make a mark in history.  My theory of making Yan the enemy is propaganda: make the Chinese look bad.  

Also, if you want a portrayal of a king right, you have to be charismatic and have an energy that makes you want to follow him- we get that in IYSS for Admiral Yi Soon Shin(technically he wasn't a king, but a leader), we get that from Lee Seo-jin in Yi San.  But most importantly, it has to feel natural.  I can tell that Lee Tae-gon is trying to force himself to be charismatic, and I don't buy it.  Not.  One.  Bit.  He also looks too old for the role.  Jung Tae-woo or the person playing Gao Yun should have been cast

Other historical facts.  Damdeok was an only child.  No records of any siblings (probably half siblings from his father's concubines but they wouldn't be recorded in history anyway-assuming his father had concubines).  And I can't stand the girls.  They're creepy

Guest honzbear

I tire of internal struggles.  It killed King Geunchogo for me.  There were probably sleazy politicians at the time, but not very notable make a mark in history.  My theory of making Yan the enemy is propaganda: make the Chinese look bad.  

Also, if you want a portrayal of a king right, you have to be charismatic and have an energy that makes you want to follow him- we get that in IYSS for Admiral Yi Soon Shin(technically he wasn't a king, but a leader), we get that from Lee Seo-jin in Yi San.  But most importantly, it has to feel natural.  I can tell that Lee Tae-gon is trying to force himself to be charismatic, and I don't buy it.  Not.  One.  Bit.  He also looks too old for the role.  Jung Tae-woo or the person playing Gao Yun should have been cast

Other historical facts.  Damdeok was an only child.  No records of any siblings (probably half siblings from his father's concubines but they wouldn't be recorded in history anyway-assuming his father had concubines).  And I can't stand the girls.  They're creepy

Watch a documentary instead if you want proper history. This is a drama and the writers make no claims to historical accuracy. I don't agree with Lee Tae Gon lacking charisma. He is charismatic in real life. Did you see him on "Happy Together"? All the girls were acting like nervous giggling schoolgirls around him and he overshadowed the other men on that show. He has real presence and it's not just physical. Yes, he is tall and he has a good body, but it's more than that. His deep voice sounds very regal; making him appear more masculine than the other men on the show - he easily assumes alpha male status when he is among other men. He has good control of his facial expressions, showing with just his cold eyes and a little curling of the upper lip his contempt for some person who has crossed him. The real king was 19 when he ascended the throne. Where are you going to find someone that young to play the role of a 19-year old king? Because he is very active and athletic doing swordfights and throwing spears etc he appears "young" to me in the drama. That was inspired casting choosing Lee Tae Gon to play Damdeok/Gwanggaeto. If you worry about every little thing that doesn't fit in with the historical record and you spend your time nitpicking you're going to always find something to complain about. The fact that you are posting here means you are watching the drama so it's doing something right because it made you watch it. I liked the first 18 episodes the best and I really enjoyed episode 1 especially because as somebody said it was like ten episodes squeezed into one - so much happened in that episode. There was no slow build-up like in some other dramas. These days I don't watch it so avidly because I don't like where the story is going. There are too many characters and factions and it's getting a bit complicated. I don't want them to focus too much on the girls; I liked it best when they were in the background just playing supporting roles. I do agree that the girls are creepy (except Yakyeon). I want to see more fighting, battles and clever intrigues to get out of danger like when Houyan were attacking Yodeongseon. This is a man's drama and I want it to stay that way - not too much on the women or the romance side of things. But I don't like silly effects such as the men flying through the air (suspended by guide ropes) jumping three meters high, or flying horizontally. These stunts don't appear realistic, and this isn't supposed to be a fantasy drama like The Legend or whatever.  Jung Tae Woo isn't suited to play the great conqueror. He acted well as the peevish less physically competent older brother who had secret insecurities about his abilities and harbored smoldering jealousy toward his more popular younger brother.

That said, I do appreciate your input on this show. It's good this thread hasn't devolved into just a fan thread about Lee Tae Gon or Gwanggaeto the Great. I like to read men's viewpoints on this drama and not just the opinions of female fans of LTG.

You're right.  I am biased.  I'm a history buff so it should be expected.  But hey, I enjoyed Queen Seondeok, and I enjoyed that one immensely, despite it mostly being fiction.  I watched IYSS and I liked it.  Some of the liberties in the drama may actually be justified, because the records are mostly shallow stuff; nothing in depth.  But if you're going to make historical fiction, its best to keep it true to the spirit of that history

Guest farhah1986

Watch a documentary instead if you want proper history. This is a drama and the writers make no claims to historical accuracy. I don't agree with Lee Tae Gon lacking charisma. He is charismatic in real life. Did you see him on "Happy Together"? All the girls were acting like nervous giggling schoolgirls around him and he overshadowed the other men on that show. He has real presence and it's not just physical. Yes, he is tall and he has a good body, but it's more than that. His deep voice sounds very regal; making him appear more masculine than the other men on the show - he easily assumes alpha male status when he is among other men. He has good control of his facial expressions, showing with just his cold eyes and a little curling of the upper lip his contempt for some person who has crossed him. The real king was 19 when he ascended the throne. Where are you going to find someone that young to play the role of a 19-year old king? Because he is very active and athletic doing swordfights and throwing spears etc he appears "young" to me in the drama. That was inspired casting choosing Lee Tae Gon to play Damdeok/Gwanggaeto. If you worry about every little thing that doesn't fit in with the historical record and you spend your time nitpicking you're going to always find something to complain about. The fact that you are posting here means you are watching the drama so it's doing something right because it made you watch it. I liked the first 18 episodes the best and I really enjoyed episode 1 especially because as somebody said it was like ten episodes squeezed into one - so much happened in that episode. There was no slow build-up like in some other dramas. These days I don't watch it so avidly because I don't like where the story is going. There are too many characters and factions and it's getting a bit complicated. I don't want them to focus too much on the girls; I liked it best when they were in the background just playing supporting roles. I do agree that the girls are creepy (except Yakyeon). I want to see more fighting, battles and clever intrigues to get out of danger like when Houyan were attacking Yodeongseon. This is a man's drama and I want it to stay that way - not too much on the women or the romance side of things. But I don't like silly effects such as the men flying through the air (suspended by guide ropes) jumping three meters high, or flying horizontally. These stunts don't appear realistic, and this isn't supposed to be a fantasy drama like The Legend or whatever.  Jung Tae Woo isn't suited to play the great conqueror. He acted well as the peevish less physically competent older brother who had secret insecurities about his abilities and harbored smoldering jealousy toward his more popular younger brother.

That said, I do appreciate your input on this show. It's good this thread hasn't devolved into just a fan thread about Lee Tae Gon or Gwanggaeto the Great. I like to read men's viewpoints on this drama and not just the opinions of female fans of LTG.

I agree with almost what you said...for me I liked the first 30 episodes very much because it focus on how Damdeok brilliantly outwit his enemy and just like you I barely watch the episodes after that because it focus too much in internal struggle and Damdeok just kind of lost in recent episode. I actually start watching this drama because I really impressed with the first 5 episode because there is a lot of fighting and strategies play out and how both party trying to outwit each other and from here we can see what a brilliant Damdeok as a strategist and recent episode just feel like dragging....I'm actually want to see war between Baekjae and Gogoryo when Damdeok become a king because that's the first war after he become a king and most importantly he won with a brilliant strategy.

I want to see Damdeok who is wise in his approach and as a great strategist instead getting a setback because of internal struggle or romance .  I know that no leader is perfect but still I want to see Damdeok just like the earlier episode.

As I am watching King Gwan both raw and subs, I am wondering two things (1) is it 60 or 80 episodes, because if its 60 the story is dragging too much with its current storyline and if its 80 I'm wondering where are they really going? Are these fillers, as at this point I'm getting a bit bored as the show feels draggy & based on reading some of your comments I'm assuming they are trying to bring about the fictional separation between Damdeok & Ko Un family etc. in a more contentious manner with the wife and father issues at the forefront I'm like "finish already please, you are killing me". (2) where is Dol Biso? He has disappeared all of a sudden in the latest episodes I miss his common sense and somewhat humorous relationship with Seokgae. I like him, when will he be back? Is he ever going to be back? What happened to him?

As at ep. 40 they at this point are introducing another future general for Damdeok who is a Goguryeo immigrant, add a new female soldier to the other crew, giving Damju more screen time than the previous episodes, she is not bad surprisingly I felt she had chemistry with Sagal Hyeon, brief as they were but felt all the same and showing how much of a blockhead the Magal chief is but I have grown weary of the current storyline.

As for proper history it appears that Fengba was somewhat more decent than portrayed, Ko Un's family were royal hostages of the later Yan who befriended the nation's royalty and due to the relations King Damdeok did try establish diplomatic relations with said country in the future.

Most of what is being shown is fiction which I understand has to be done in order to gain the viewer's interest this I do not mind as it makes me curious to find out what happened in real history however the writers are disappointing me right now. I don't blame the actors because they have to work with what they got. Writer/s do a better job.

I really wish the show regained some of the past episodes excitement as well as increase the pace.

By the way I still stand by my previous statement that Doyeong is too sweet/calming for Damdeok and there is no love chemistry between them. But then again may be that's what they want for Damdeok in a wife.

Gone for now.

Guest honzbear

Some things I don't like about the story.

* Koguryeo and Houyan having a temporary truce. The crown prince being interested in Damjoo. Doesn't ring true. The Houyan king and crown prince wanted to kill Damdeok after Damdeok killed a prince of Houyan. They wanted revenge, and now they are hosting Damdeok and Damjoo as guests? (I think in real history a princess of Goguryeo does marry into the Houyan royal family.) Damdeok also wanted to kill the king of Houyan because of their attacks on Goguryeo, and now he's their house guest ...?

• Seoldan's sister saving the wife of Damdeok. One minute she is trying to assassinate Damdeok, the next she saves his wife ... WTH?

• The PM. He's noble and willing to sacrifice himself for Goguryeo's sake at the beginning of the series, or so he says, eg.  by hiding Fengba's nameplate and therefore preventing  a war. He sends his son on a spy mission to Houyan and is helpful in other ways in defending Koguryeo against Houyan (takes part in battles, conveys correct information to the king about Houyan's schemes). And yet he would do underhand things like hire someone to kill Damdeok and hurt Goguryeo in other ways.

• The general's son who wanted to kill Damdeok is now one of his most loyal men.

• The Koguryeo general (father of the man wanting to kill Damdeok) willing to submit himself to be executed - for what? Because he lost a battle? What did he do that was so wrong that he agrees to be executed? Why did Damdeok's grandfather let it happen? If the court didn't agree with his execution why did they let it go ahead?

• At one point, Damdeok's brother, Dammang, wanted to kill Damdeok and even attempts to murder him while he is sleeping and then ends up deliberately getting himself killed (pointlessly) by wearing Damdeok's clothes. There are easier ways to catch enemies and plotters than setting yourself up as a target to be killed - that's the most stupid way in fact and I don't think anyone in their right minds would do something like that.

• Damdeok going to his brother's place and not leaving until Dammang resolves the situation with him and then when Dammang comes out, Damdeok says he's willing to kill himself  and almost does until Go Oun stops him. I know Dammang is the older brother, but isn't that taking subservience to an older brother too far?

• All those people springing out from nowhere to kidnap the princess, and later attacking the general's son (who wanted to kill Damdeok) at his home, and then trying to kill Damdeok while he is having a confrontation with the general's son in a graveyard. But nobody bothers to trace where they come from though many of them are killed in these fights, and some are presumably wounded.

• The ridiculous stunts. The crown prince of Houyan flying horizontally through the air during a demonstration of swordsmanship in front of guests. The general's son leaping 15 feet onto a rampart (I don't mean the pole-vaulting scene, I suppose that might be possible though stretching it) during his attack on the Khitan.

• The Koguryeo citizens hailing Damdeok as a great soldier when he helps defeat the Houyan and then turning against him when the PM and the others spread rumors about the crown prince installation. Even the blacksmith who Damdeok worked with in the blacksmith's shop turns against Damdeok.

• Seoldan hating Damdeok so much he wants to kill him when not that long ago they were friends trying to escape from the slave camp.

• Damdeok falls from the cliff after Fengba shoots him with the poisoned arrow (and survives because the mirror protects him), and then wakes up to find himself being transported in a slave cage. He is wearing different clothes and yet somehow the people who changed his clothes did not find the mirror he was wearing under his clothes ... Maybe he changed the clothes himself but why the need to change clothes in the first place? Didn't the people who found him realize he was someone important from the clothes he was wearing? Did he rescue himself, change his clothes, and was then caught by the slave traders?

Too many unbelievable things happening. Too many people behaving uncharacteristically, and some even doing 180 degree turnarounds.

I guess staging battle scenes costs a lot of money but I don't like episodes where there is just talking in court and not much action. Since episode 18, it's really gone downhill for me. That was when the whole jealousy thing between Damdeok and his brother started. I didn't mind that per se but I didn't like how that ended up with the death of Dammang. I know the actor had to join the military and so the writers had to kill him off but the way they did it was unsatisfactory. I think they wanted to him to die as the good guy and not as the bad guy who was trying to murder his brother and that's why there was that strange twist in the end.

The writers need to tighten up the writing so that the story is more plausible. The first five episodes were superb and exciting. The episodes where Damdeok was a slave were interesting. The episodes where he is in a race to save two of his men from being executed were suspenseful.

where is Dol Biso?  ... I miss his common sense and somewhat humorous relationship with Seokgae

I miss that too. The interaction between the two lightened the drama and gave it some humor.

If it's 60 episodes, there are 20 episodes left and there isn't time to show much. Maybe two or three story plots. Probably not enough to show him subjugating Baekje and the Central Plain and other places in much depth. He's still fighting with the Malgal at present. 

If it's 80 episodes, then there is time to show all of this and the conflicts he has with all the other people he conquers but they can't drag the kidnapping of Doyeong on for too long. They need to soon reach the part where he becomes king and he starts making inroads on others' territory and show why he is called "Dae Wang". 

Maybe they planned for 80 episodes and when the ratings weren't as high as expected, changed it to 60 episodes. Perhaps they are waiting to see what the ratings of future episodes are before they commit to a definite number of episodes.

Archived