[Drama 2011] Gwanggaeto, The Great Conqueror 광개토태왕

Guest asadal

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest farhah1986

The show is halfway over and he isn't even a King yet. How are they going to show all of his achievements in time?

You were right about that...because Damdeok has so many achievement when he become a king and I'm curious how long we need to wait for him to finally ascend the throne. Moreover they are dragging Doyoung missing for too long and I'm afraid that the writer will make Doyoung gone missing until she give birth or maybe even until her child grown up....Did they want to repeat Geunchogo storyline where the first born gone missing and everyone thought he died.? Well if that the case maybe I will temporary stop watching until Damdeok become a king?

I really cannot understand Guksang....what is actually he's thinking..is he gone mad?! After all his daufgter is already married into the future king family but because of his stupid action to plot against Damdeok...he cause his daughter's life in danger and want to blame everything on Damdeok..I'm curious about Go Un ,will he really turn against Damdeok...just because he think Damdeok prioritize Gogoryo more than his sister? Come on...he already know Damdeok since small and know everything about Damdeok character.........I'm curious to know what happen next but at the same time I hesitates to watch it because this show seems lost its direction.

Hi,

In response to honzbear, these are the following answers:-

Some things I don't like about the story.

* Koguryeo and Houyan having a temporary truce. The crown prince being interested in Damjoo. Doesn't ring true. The Houyan king and crown prince wanted to kill Damdeok after Damdeok killed a prince of Houyan. They wanted revenge, and now they are hosting Damdeok and Damjoo as guests? (I think in real history a princess of Goguryeo does marry into the Houyan royal family.) Damdeok also wanted to kill the king of Houyan because of their attacks on Goguryeo, and now he's their house guest ...?

Ans – Crown Prince being interested in the woman is possible as she is the only female to respond to him in such a manner. Most of the females that he associates with usually defer to him because of his status. Damjoo does not have to do so because she is to be his wife. Damdeok is a house guest just like when they first came to Goguryeo . It’s a “ I don’t like you but I am being courteous all the same because of the truce”.

• Seoldan's sister saving the wife of Damdeok. One minute she is trying to assassinate Damdeok, the next she saves his wife ... WTH?

Ans – Seoldan’s sister is mainly a spy for the Magal tribe. After being more or less around Damdeok plus the fact that he has been more than gracious to the Magal people by letting them live i.e. saving Seoldan’s life more than once, her life twice and letting them go when caught. She has come to conclusion/decision that her brother is going in the wrong direction and felt that she owed Damdeok. Her action has severed her relationship with brother dearest.

• The PM. He's noble and willing to sacrifice himself for Goguryeo's sake at the beginning of the series, or so he says, eg. by hiding Fengba's nameplate and therefore preventing a war. He sends his son on a spy mission to Houyan and is helpful in other ways in defending Koguryeo against Houyan (takes part in battles, conveys correct information to the king about Houyan's schemes). And yet he would do underhand things like hire someone to kill Damdeok and hurt Goguryeo in other ways.

Ans – The PM has always been a self righteous/power trip prick who justifies his actions under the guise of patriotism and loyalty to Goguryeo. From the first episode it has been like that but it became more clear upon Damdeok’s return from Yodongseo war and his “death” hiding the nameplate etc. If it does not benefit him, he will retaliate, plus he wanted to continue having more power than the king of Goguryeo. Damdeok’s rise to power ensures that he loses big time. I felt the existing king was too dependent on the PM in terms of decision making and running the government in a way the PM was a pseudo king, now they are showing he wants it to be real.

• The general's son who wanted to kill Damdeok is now one of his most loyal men.

Ans – Sagal Hyeon purpose for killing Damdeok was revenge for his father who was a loyal general for the country. He did not realise the true purpose of his father’s wishes until the final confrontation, in his heart he wanted to be his father’s son but was blinded by revenge in the belief that his father had a traitor’s death. Damdeok has more than proven himself to be a worthy leader to be followed via his experiences with him. So he let go of revenge and has become his father’s son thus serving Damdeok.

• The Koguryeo general (father of the man wanting to kill Damdeok) willing to submit himself to be executed - for what? Because he lost a battle? What did he do that was so wrong that he agrees to be executed? Why did Damdeok's grandfather let it happen? If the court didn't agree with his execution why did they let it go ahead?

Ans – Sagal Ung (general) had high and very strict standards for himself and what a general is supposed to be. He believed that he failed his king and his country to him the punishment should be death although Damdeok’s father and grandfather disagreed with said punishment. They let it go ahead because that was what he wanted and prove himself as an example to the country and other generals in terms of loyalty.

• At one point, Damdeok's brother, Dammang, wanted to kill Damdeok and even attempts to murder him while he is sleeping and then ends up deliberately getting himself killed (pointlessly) by wearing Damdeok's clothes. There are easier ways to catch enemies and plotters than setting yourself up as a target to be killed - that's the most stupid way in fact and I don't think anyone in their right minds would do something like that.

Ans – power is a very dangerous friend and love for family (filial piety) is a very strong weapon. Danmang wanted to eliminate obstacles for Damdeok to be king, he saw himself as an obstacle in that the ministers would force the issue of making him the crown prince when he does not see himself as king material in terms of emotional strength and physical abilities, plus the people knew Damdeok and not Danmang they loved him. Damdeok has all the characteristics of being a great king, by making his brother the only candidate which includes removing himself was the best way to resolve it.

• Damdeok going to his brother's place and not leaving until Dammang resolves the situation with him and then when Dammang comes out, Damdeok says he's willing to kill himself and almost does until Go Oun stops him. I know Dammang is the older brother, but isn't that taking subservience to an older brother too far?

Ans – That’s filial piety for you, to do whatever it takes to make the other party feel at ease even at the risk of taking one’s own life. Committing suicide based on the circumstances is considered an honor. The principles of that time does not coincide with ours making it a bit hard to understand the logistics of it all.

• All those people springing out from nowhere to kidnap the princess, and later attacking the general's son (who wanted to kill Damdeok) at his home, and then trying to kill Damdeok while he is having a confrontation with the general's son in a graveyard. But nobody bothers to trace where they come from though many of them are killed in these fights, and some are presumably wounded.

Ans – I agree it makes no sense, but I think Damdeok suspected as to the true culprit and did not want to push it. Plus if caught they are likely to kill themselves and not reveal the information. There is no substantial proof as to the true culprit was who at that time has become a bit more powerful thant the king.

• The ridiculous stunts. The crown prince of Houyan flying horizontally through the air during a demonstration of swordsmanship in front of guests. The general's son leaping 15 feet onto a rampart (I don't mean the pole-vaulting scene, I suppose that might be possible though stretching it) during his attack on the Khitan.

Ans- that’s kdrama land for you in terms of ridiculousness. They usually hype up the action scenes. Forgive them please

• The Koguryeo citizens hailing Damdeok as a great soldier when he helps defeat the Houyan and then turning against him when the PM and the others spread rumors about the crown prince installation. Even the blacksmith who Damdeok worked with in the blacksmith's shop turns against Damdeok.

Ans – that’s human nature, one day you are loved the next you are hated and previous good gets forgotten.

• Seoldan hating Damdeok so much he wants to kill him when not that long ago they were friends trying to escape from the slave camp.

Ans- that’s stupid nature for you. Seoldan is Chief blockhead.

• Damdeok falls from the cliff after Fengba shoots him with the poisoned arrow (and survives because the mirror protects him), and then wakes up to find himself being transported in a slave cage. He is wearing different clothes and yet somehow the people who changed his clothes did not find the mirror he was wearing under his clothes ... Maybe he changed the clothes himself but why the need to change clothes in the first place? Didn't the people who found him realize he was someone important from the clothes he was wearing? Did he rescue himself, change his clothes, and was then caught by the slave traders?

Ans – that’s kdrama land for you, leave common sense behind when you are about to watch. If you try to apply it be forewarned of a migraine. Solution – after watching take a tablet, sleep and dream of your own logical King Gwan where you are the star in sensical Goguryeo. Or stop watching altogether, to avoid getting a migraine.

I do agree that the writers need to tighten up the story as I said before right now its messy. Right now I am still wondering the true number of episodes for this show.

Hope these answer your dislikes, have a good weekend.

Guest honzbear

Some things I don't like about the story.

* Koguryeo and Houyan having a temporary truce. The crown prince being interested in Damjoo. Doesn't ring true. The Houyan king and crown prince wanted to kill Damdeok after Damdeok killed a prince of Houyan. They wanted revenge, and now they are hosting Damdeok and Damjoo as guests? (I think in real history a princess of Goguryeo does marry into the Houyan royal family.) Damdeok also wanted to kill the king of Houyan because of their attacks on Goguryeo, and now he's their house guest ...?

Ans – Crown Prince being interested in the woman is possible as she is the only female to respond to him in such a manner.  Most of the females that he associates with usually defer to him because of his status.  Damjoo does not have to do so because she is to be his wife. Damdeok is a house guest just like when they first came to Goguryeo . It’s a “ I don’t like you but I am being courteous all the same because of the truce”.

• This isn't the same as Houyan envoys visiting Goguryeo. Houyan was in danger of being attacked after they lost to Goguryeo and they also had to head off the Beiwei-Goguryeo alliance ... so they didn't have much choice when King Iryon told them to come. In contrast, Goguryeo didn't have to send the princess to Houyan. Why would they do that? Why would they want a princess of theirs to marry into the Houyan royal family or why did they have to send her as a hostage there? They weren't even friendly with the Houyans. They knew Fengba of the Houyan was responsible for killing Dammang and trying to assassinate Damdeok.

The argument will probably be that Goguryeo sent the princess over in the interests of peace and establishing friendly relations but I don't think it's plausible. Too much bad blood between the two countries at this point.

• Seoldan's sister saving the wife of Damdeok. One minute she is trying to assassinate Damdeok, the next she saves his wife ... WTH?

Ans – Seoldan’s sister is mainly a spy for the Magal tribe.  After being more or less around Damdeok plus the fact that he has been more than gracious to the Magal people by letting them live i.e. saving Seoldan’s life more than once, her life twice and letting them go when caught.  She has come to conclusion/decision that her brother is going in the wrong direction and felt that she owed Damdeok.  Her action has severed her relationship with brother dearest.

Yes, your explanation is probably the right one that the writers want us to accept for the change in behavior but it's a sudden 180 degree change in behavior by yet ANOTHER person in this drama ... these 180 degree turnarounds are happening too often is my point. It seems like the writers overuse it as a convenient plot device.

• The PM. He's noble and willing to sacrifice himself for Goguryeo's sake at the beginning of the series, or so he says, eg.  by hiding Fengba's nameplate and therefore preventing  a war. He sends his son on a spy mission to Houyan and is helpful in other ways in defending Koguryeo against Houyan (takes part in battles, conveys correct information to the king about Houyan's schemes). And yet he would do underhand things like hire someone to kill Damdeok and hurt Goguryeo in other ways.

Ans – The PM has always been a self righteous/power trip prick who justifies his actions under the guise of patriotism and loyalty to Goguryeo.  From the first episode it has been like that but it became more clear upon Damdeok’s return from Yodongseo war and his “death” hiding the nameplate etc.  If it does not benefit him, he will retaliate, plus he wanted to continue having more power than the king of Goguryeo.  Damdeok’s rise to power ensures that he loses big time.  I felt the existing king was too dependent on the PM in terms of decision making and running the government in a way the PM was a pseudo king, now they are showing he wants it to be real.

Everybody agreed that the PM acted with merit even sending his son into dangerous territory where he risks his life for Goguryeo and yet on the other hand the PM seems to oppose things that will protect and strengthen Koguryeo such as building that fortress wall. I suppose the reply will be that he does that because it's Damdeok's idea and his power is threatened etc but this kind of thing makes the character of the PM inconsistent. One minute he is rewarded by the king for being loyal and risking his life for the country, the next he is acting selfishly and doesn't want to give up a little bit of wealth or land for Koguryeo's sake.

• The general's son who wanted to kill Damdeok is now one of his most loyal men.

Ans – Sagal Hyeon purpose for killing Damdeok was revenge for his father who was a loyal general for the country.  He did not realise the true purpose of his father’s wishes until the final confrontation, in his heart he wanted to be his father’s son but was blinded by revenge in the belief that his father had a traitor’s death.  Damdeok has more than proven himself to be a worthy leader to be followed via his experiences with him.  So he let go of revenge and has become his father’s son thus serving Damdeok.

Yes, I agree that that is the reason; but once again, there is this sudden 180 degree turnaround in behavior and it's kind of unbelievable and too convenient. And it happens too suddenly.

• The Koguryeo general (father of the man wanting to kill Damdeok) willing to submit himself to be executed - for what? Because he lost a battle? What did he do that was so wrong that he agrees to be executed? Why did Damdeok's grandfather let it happen? If the court didn't agree with his execution why did they let it go ahead?

Ans – Sagal Ung (general) had high and very strict standards for himself and what a general is supposed to be. He believed that he failed his king and his country to him the punishment should be death although Damdeok’s father and grandfather disagreed with said punishment.  They let it go ahead because that was what he wanted and prove himself as an example to the country and other generals in terms of loyalty.

I think this is a bit of a stretch. The king is the king. If he didn't agree with the execution, he could have just said no. Then if the general wanted to kill himself he could do it by himself, and not do it in a public way. Holding an execution like this sends a mixed message to the people: that it is noble to kill yourself if you lose a battle (which is pushing the loyalty concept too far) but it also frightens them. And it took all these years for the son to realize the truth? That nobody made his father get himself killed; it was his own wish.

• At one point, Damdeok's brother, Dammang, wanted to kill Damdeok and even attempts to murder him while he is sleeping and then ends up deliberately getting himself killed (pointlessly) by wearing Damdeok's clothes. There are easier ways to catch enemies and plotters than setting yourself up as a target to be killed - that's the most stupid way in fact and I don't think anyone in their right minds would do something like that.

Ans – power is a very dangerous friend and love for family (filial piety) is a very strong weapon.  Danmang wanted to eliminate obstacles for Damdeok to be king, he saw himself as an obstacle in that the ministers would force the issue of making him the crown prince when he does not see himself as king material in terms of emotional strength and physical abilities, plus the people knew Damdeok and not Danmang they loved him.  Damdeok has all the characteristics of being a great king, by making his brother the only candidate which includes removing himself was the best way to resolve it.

So did Dammang want to kill his brother or did he not? The way that ended it seemed like everything was a plot from the beginning. But the scenes where he tried to kill Damdeok were absolutely real. This kind of cognitive dissonance the writers/producers etc force on the viewer is not pleasant ... and you're right - it does give one a big headache. The mirror thing is a minor thing compared to this. And the amount of cognitive dissonance one experiences in these episodes is proportionately much greater.

• Damdeok going to his brother's place and not leaving until Dammang resolves the situation with him and then when Dammang comes out, Damdeok says he's willing to kill himself  and almost does until Go Oun stops him. I know Dammang is the older brother, but isn't that taking subservience to an older brother too far?

Ans – That’s filial piety for you, to do whatever it takes to make the other party feel at ease even at the risk of taking one’s own life.  Committing suicide based on the circumstances is considered an honor.  The principles of that time does not coincide with ours making it a bit hard to understand the logistics of it all.

I don't even know if Goguryeo was Confucist at that stage; probably not. People may call it filial piety; I call it behaving like an idiot. It lessens my admiration of the Damdeok character. The brother was acting like a jerk; Damdeok would have been an even bigger jerk if he had killed himself over it.

• All those people springing out from nowhere to kidnap the princess, and later attacking the general's son (who wanted to kill Damdeok) at his home, and then trying to kill Damdeok while he is having a confrontation with the general's son in a graveyard. But nobody bothers to trace where they come from though many of them are killed in these fights, and some are presumably wounded.

Ans – I agree it makes no sense, but I think Damdeok suspected as to the true culprit and did not want to push it.  Plus if caught they are likely to kill themselves and not reveal the information. There is no substantial proof as to the true culprit was who at that time has become a bit more powerful thant the king.

• The ridiculous stunts. The crown prince of Houyan flying horizontally through the air during a demonstration of swordsmanship in front of guests. The general's son leaping 15 feet onto a rampart (I don't mean the pole-vaulting scene, I suppose that might be possible though stretching it) during his attack on the Khitan.

Ans- that’s kdrama land for you in terms of ridiculousness.  They usually hype up the action scenes. Forgive them please

These stunts are totally unnecessary. They can still have fantastic fighting scenes without going over the top. There were a couple of scenes like this in Jumong too. Those scenes also detracted from that drama. They make the drama look cheap.

• The Koguryeo citizens hailing Damdeok as a great soldier when he helps defeat the Houyan and then turning against him when the PM and the others spread rumors about the crown prince installation. Even the blacksmith who Damdeok worked with in the blacksmith's shop turns against Damdeok.

Ans – that’s human nature, one day you are loved  the next you are hated and previous good gets forgotten.

Still unbelievable. Humans don't change that much. The blacksmith was praising Damdeok earlier saying he should be king instead of his brother. Then he tells everyone it will be a bad thing if Damdeok becomes crown prince because of some rumors?

They could have shown some other citizens forboding ill for Koguryeo if Damdeok becomes king. They didn't have to have the blacksmith doing it.

• Seoldan hating Damdeok so much he wants to kill him when not that long ago they were friends trying to escape from the slave camp.

Ans- that’s stupid nature for you.  Seoldan is Chief blockhead.

Yet another 180 degree turnaround. It's not explained why Seoldoan has so much antipathy toward Damdeok in particular.

• Damdeok falls from the cliff after Fengba shoots him with the poisoned arrow (and survives because the mirror protects him), and then wakes up to find himself being transported in a slave cage. He is wearing different clothes and yet somehow the people who changed his clothes did not find the mirror he was wearing under his clothes ... Maybe he changed the clothes himself but why the need to change clothes in the first place? Didn't the people who found him realize he was someone important from the clothes he was wearing? Did he rescue himself, change his clothes, and was then caught by the slave traders?

Ans – that’s kdrama land for you, leave common sense behind when you are about to watch.  If you try to apply it be forewarned of a migraine.  Solution – after watching take a tablet, sleep and dream of your own logical King Gwan where you are the star in sensical Goguryeo.  Or stop watching altogether, to avoid getting a migraine.

When a drama is as illogical as Gwanggaeto is starting to become, it is less enjoyable to watch. I still follow it but not as enthusiastically as I used to. Nowadays I sometimes forget to tune in when it's on .. and only catch it later online and then I only watch cursorily. Before, I used to anticipate it eagerly and watch the episodes again and again.

I do agree that the writers need to tighten up the story as I said before right now its messy.  Right now I am still wondering the true number of episodes for this show.

Hope these answer your dislikes, have a good weekend.

Every criticism of mine can be explained away I suppose as you have attempted to do, but it's the sheer totality of the number of turnarounds and unbelievable plot twists that annoys me. Maybe one or two I could accept but not all of these. Gwanggaeto started off with a big bang and started to deteriorate at some point.

I hope it starts improving soon and regains the excitement of the earlier episodes. I confess I will still watch even if it doesn't as I am kind of hooked on the drama and like the lead actor, and it's still better than many other dramas on offer ... but I think the writers could have done better and they have kind of lost their way.

I  tire of internal struggles.  It killed King Geunchogo for me.  There  were probably sleazy politicians at the time, but not very notable make a  mark in history.  My theory of making Yan the enemy is propaganda: make  the Chinese look bad. 

Could be. But I think Houyan were Xianbei and not Chinese.

Another reason to dislike this drama.  Its relying too much on the terrible cliches in Kdramas, particularly the romantic plot tumors

The show is halfway over and he isn't even a King yet. How are they going to show all of his achievements in time? 

^Historical dramas these days are down the gutter

Guest NgShuYi

I'm also watching both the subs(from KBSworld and the Raws)I can say i really enjoy the show,from esp1-esp32.Tonight just watch esp33 from kbs world,things start to have a little turning point , damdeok is force to negotiate with houyan but it a mistake because of a plot by the prince of Baekje,yes damdeok is finally being trick!!!Ok i will not spoil the show.

However i watch the rest of the raws up til esp 41 and also feel upset about the events occur and my likes of this drama start to decline.However in my opinion ,as i am watching them without subs,it difficult to judge the drama,hence i will still continue to watch it from KBSworld and hopefully will understand what is really going on.

Guest honzbear

They are still counted as a part of Chinese history like the Mongolian Yuan dynasty, the Jin dynasty, and the Qing dynasty.

Saying they are part of Chinese history is not the same thing as saying they are ethnically Chinese. The Chinese regard Koguryeo to be part of Chinese history but the Koguryeo people were definitely not Chinese ethnically-speaking. The Xianbei were "Mongolian" ethnically, not Chinese.

Guest NgShuYi

I'm so angry after watching esp 34 from KBS world.So the main reason why Damju have to go to Houyan was not because of damdeok being trick to negotiate but it because of the stupid Prime minister.Damdeok initially was still on the upperhand,it because of the prime minister leaking information about the King of Goguryeo 's illness to Houyan and this makes Damdeok lost.

Stupid Prime Minister,he selfish,yes preventing a war do help to reduce damages but his intent was because he want to weaken the Royal Court power.He place his powers first before the country.

Guest farhah1986

Can anyone briefly explain to me what is actually happening in this recent episode(41-42)....How does Seol Ji suddenly with Damdeok? only watch the preview for next episode and it show that Damdeok been captured....

I've got a feeling that this is going to be Damdeok last battle with Guksang and I hope I'm right while Go Un will be force to choose between Guksang or Gogoryo.Well hopefully they won't drag this matter for long and looking at Damdeok's dad...maybe we'll see Damdeok as a king in a couple  of episode. I'm wondering how Damdeok gonna win against Guksang who seems has an upper hands against Damdeok in the preview...after all the episode before the preview always mislead us to something else and I'm curious to see how Damdeok brilliantly finally get his hands on Guksang and finally punish him. I think I will wait until that day happen and then I will rewatch that episode.

Hopefully after this internal struggle with Guksang...the story will focus more on how Damdeok built Gogoryo into a powerful country and I don't think Damdeok will have any problem with the royal court later after Guksang demise.

Guest honzbear

Spoiler:

Go Oun becomes king. The actor Kim Seung Soo revealed that in the show Happy Together. He and Damdeok turn into bitter enemies. I think the PM makes his son king after he kicks the royal family out.

After seeing the subtitled episodes over the weekend the drama is not as illogical as I thought. It makes sense now that Damdeok sends over his sister as a "hostage".  He does it for Koguryeo's sake because Koguryeo is being attacked by everyone at the same time and he wants to buy time. Also the Baekje people trick him by giving him a false message from his grandfather so he thinks it's urgent that he make a truce with Houyan.

Damdeok does a noble thing releasing the sister of Seoldoan and she is grateful for it and it is understandable why she saves his wife and helps out Damdeok in other ways later. But it's not made clear why she doesn't persuade her brother to stop going after Damdeok and just takes unilateral action later, surprising and upsetting her brother.

Also, the pace has picked up a lot. The PM taking over the palace is a great twist. And now Damdeok is a captive.

It looks like the kidnapping of his wife story is going to be dragged out for a while unfortunately.

The king of Houyan doesn't seem to be that bad a fellow. He did the fair thing releasing Damdeok after realizing he wasn't part of the conspiracy that put his life in danger. (I hope I am interpreting this right. I don't understand much Korean.) I can't help feeling sorry for Fengba. He's loyal and does his best but always fails and then he's kicked around really badly. I think the second prince of Houyan was responsible for that plot. Maybe Fengba was part of it too. But he keeps his mouth shut because he's willing to be the scapegoat.

I don't feel so much hatred toward the Guksang as some do, maybe because I think the king brings on a lot of the problems on himself by being so weak and trusting. And also I have a feeling Guksang will get his in the end so I just let the drama unfold without feeling frustrated about what the Guksang is doing.

I also have to give the writers some leeway. I think it would be hard work creating a drama from historical events when there isn't much information to go on. Also, having to think of a new plot every few episodes requires much creative effort. Doing this for 60-80 episodes is quite an achievement. I prefer this drama to Jumong. I thought nothing would ever top Jumong but this one manages to in my opinion. I think the directing of this drama is really good. I like the casting too. Kim Seung Soo always gives a classy touch to whatever sageuk he's in whether he's a villain or a good guy. The Guksang acts well too. And I can't imagine watching this drama without Lee Tae Gon as the main character - Gwanggaeto. He gives the role real vigor - with his shouting and so on. I think this is his best role. He plays this part better than he does the romantic lead man. I think he personally finds the romantic dramas less interesting to act in than acting in historical dramas - this is my impression. I think he really likes playing the part of Damdeok. It meshes with his temperament best IMO. The part of Damdeok is closer to his real personality than the suave smooth caring and romantic news anchor Wang Mo or the other roles in his other dramas is my feeling. I think he loves doing all the action scenes and being the 'tough guy'. It is like a duck taking to water. And this role suits him too. In this drama, the character Damdeok is miles away from the other characters he's played. You feel this guy is so dangerous and you had better not cross him. But he's not that vindictive. And it's not all just physical. I sense that Damdeok has brains as well as great martial arts skills.

a37323eb5509820179513c417089443e_large.jpg

Guest farhah1986

Spoiler:

After seeing the subtitled episodes over the weekend the drama is not as illogical as I thought. It makes sense now that Damdeok sends over his sister as a "hostage".  He does it for Koguryeo's sake because Koguryeo is being attacked by everyone at the same time and he wants to buy time. Also the Baekje people trick him by giving him a false message from his grandfather so he thinks it's urgent that he make a truce with Houyan.

Damdeok does a noble thing releasing the sister of Seoldoan and she is grateful for it and it is understandable why she saves his wife and helps out Damdeok in other ways later. But it's not made clear why she doesn't persuade her brother to stop going after Damdeok and just takes unilateral action later, surprising and upsetting her brother.

Also, the pace has picked up a lot. The PM taking over the palace is a great twist. And now Damdeok is a captive.

It looks like the kidnapping of his wife story is going to be dragged out for a while unfortunately.

The king of Houyan doesn't seem to be that bad a fellow. He did the fair thing releasing Damdeok after realizing he wasn't part of the conspiracy that put his life in danger. (I hope I am interpreting this right. I don't understand much Korean.) I can't help feeling sorry for Fengba. He's loyal and does his best but always fails and then he's kicked around really badly. I think the second prince of Houyan was responsible for that plot. Maybe Fengba was part of it too. But he keeps his mouth shut because he's willing to be the scapegoat.

I don't feel so much hatred toward the Guksang as some do, maybe because I think the king brings on a lot of the problems on himself by being so weak and trusting. And also I have a feeling Guksang will get his in the end so I just let the drama unfold without feeling frustrated about what the Guksang is doing.

I also have to give the writers some leeway. I think it would be hard work creating a drama from historical events when there isn't much information to go on. Also, having to think of a new plot every few episodes requires much creative effort. Doing this for 60-80 episodes is quite an achievement. I prefer this drama to Jumong. I thought nothing would ever top Jumong but this one manages to in my opinion. I think the directing of this drama is really good. I like the casting too. Kim Seung Soo always gives a classy touch to whatever sageuk he's in whether he's a villain or a good guy. The Guksang acts well too. And I can't imagine watching this drama without Lee Tae Gon as the main character - Gwanggaeto. He gives the role real vigor - with his shouting and so on. I think this is his best role. He plays this part better than he does the romantic lead man. I think he personally finds the romantic dramas less interesting to act in than acting in historical dramas - this is my impression. I think he really likes playing the part of Damdeok. It meshes with his temperament best IMO. The part of Damdeok is closer to his real personality than the suave smooth caring and romantic news anchor Wang Mo or the other roles in his other dramas is my feeling. I think he loves doing all the action scenes and being the 'tough guy'. It is like a duck taking to water. And this role suits him too. In this drama, the character Damdeok is miles away from the other characters he's played. You feel this guy is so dangerous and you had better not cross him. But he's not that vindictive. And it's not all just physical. I sense that Damdeok has brains as well as great martial arts skills.

*quoted image*

I'm mostly agree with your comment...Just like you I also cannot imagine someone else playing Damdeok character other than Lee Tae Goon.Actually this is the kind of king that I always hope to see in a historical drama...full of charisma, passion and most importantly he is really a great strategist..Although I'm a bit upset with this drama direction now,I still think this drama is way better than Jumong...maybe all the thing that falls upon Damdeok now will make him stronger and prepared to become a king. I actually can't wait to see how Damdeok able to return to the palace and restore the royal authority and for Guksang finally met his match...Just like what Seol Dan said before that although Guksang seems more experience in politics,Damdeok is not an easy opponent and Damdeok will eventually win against him and we see it before.

Guest honzbear

still loving the drama. i wish there's a book with english translation about the kings of Goguryeo that i could read.

Some history about Koguryeo and Gwanggaeto the Great:

1. Goguryeo

2. Gwanggaeto the Great, the Spirit of Goguryeo (KBS site)

3. Korean History 광개토태왕 고담덕 Goguryeo Gwanggaeto-Taewang, Go Dam-Duk 1/8   (Youtube video)

4. There are many videos about Koguryeo on this user's channel.

5. 연개소문 Koguryeo and the Turks 1/7   (Youtube video)

6. Holy Emperor Dongmyong, Buyeo, 동명성왕 1/7  (About Jumong and Dongmyong)    (Youtube video)

7. Koguryeo Cavalry in Steel Armour  (Youtube video)

8. Wikipedia entries about Gwanggaeto and Goguryeo

9. The Father of Goguryeo, King Dongmyeongseong   (KBS history website)

10. Korean Sentry website: some interesting information about Koguryeo

Japanese language came from Koguryeo?

Mystery of Goguryeo-Sui/Tang wars

Korean pyramids

Goguryeo map by North Korea

Goguryeo's last capital Anhak palace (안학궁)

Goguryeo artifacts: Photos

Hungaria's Magyar came from Korea's Malgal

Goguryeo (aka Koguryo) Sites around Jilin

People of Goguryeo

Goguryeo expanded to Yeonhaeju (Primorsky Krai)

Inscription on the Gwanggaeto Stele

Annals of Koguryo - 高句麗 本記

Goguryeo fortress discovered in Achasan, Seoul

11. Founding and Growth (of Koguryeo)

12. Complex of Goguryeo Tombs

Archived