Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

The backdrops/settings have that CSI feel, but the "character" I feel Joo Won has in these pictures is more James Bondish, like he's an agent. International Man of Mystery, yo... I'd like to see him take such a role - seriously. Not in a comedy like L7CS or Catch Me. Seriously. And be a ladykiller while at it. B)

Have you watched Gaksital a.k.a Bridal Mask? Joowon was amazing, really! It was more fun when he had to juggle both lives as a freedom fighter and a policeman. But he was a badass police for only 6 episodes, so I couldnt get my share of badass-ness.

• Like 2

Kyaaaa! New interview! Joowon looks the same in most of his photoshoot, really. Not surprising, he poses the same way in selfies too. ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

(high load of photos so I put in spoiler)

CR53YG0U8AAw-O_.jpg

CR53YnEUEAEicxl.jpg

CR53YwpU8AANB_Q.jpg

CR53ZAlUsAAJYV-.jpg

CR53LqyUwAAUf_T.jpg

CR53L1EUwAAl_IY.jpg

CR53L8CUcAAw9CL.jpg

CR53MfbUEAAZwHx.jpg

cr to prism_stone

He looks good in red~ *pregnant*

• Like 7

@mrdimples You mentioned that the pictorials have a 'serial killer' vibe? LOL! I didnt notice. I thought of it because of the pictures on the wall. But because he's wearing a formal suit, so it looks like he's the catcher instead of the criminal.

Last year, I watched Cold Eyes movie and I was very interested in the lead role. The lead guy was a killer, as opposed to most other dramas/movie where the leads are a always the good guy. I want Joowon to still take the lead or joint-lead, but the focus to be on either him as the police or badass killer. As a police, it would be interesting to see his frustration trying to catch the bad guy. Possibly like That Guy movie, but while he's a civilian in TG, I want to see his frustration when he has to abide by the law while pursuing the criminals. Or if he plays the killer, I want to see him outsmarting the police in a really bad way. We see him do that in Yongpal, but he was a doctor which means he is not skilled in combat nor will he resort to killing the police when he's on the verge of being caught. Check out the movie and you'll see what I mean. I hope to see him take on any of these roles.

But Joowon has said before that he doesnt want to take on a policeman role anymore. He said he has played enough of that in Ojakgyo Brothers, Gaksital, Catch Me and Special Investigation Unit. But maybe, if the character is different, then Joowon will take on the role. After all, he said he doesnt want to do medical drama anymore, but he did it again for Yongpal because the character is different.

I'd like to see him tackle a role like Gong Yoo in The Suspect or Lee JunKi in Two Weeks. Someone who was mistaken as the criminal and had to run from the law in a badass way to avoid police while clearing his name.

Gah! I'm greedy like Joowon too~ I want him to take on so many roles!

• Like 5

Joowon is killing me... seriously... I dont want to see him in white anymore! He looks so breathtakingly gorgeous~

[INTERVIEW] Joowon "I want to act as a tough man"

CR6FbwUUwAEMOC5.jpg

The article talks about the success of Yongpal and mentioned his previous works. Joowon said that he took on That Guy and Yongpal to mark a change in his acting career to more masculine characters, more manly and tough. He wants to shed the 20s image since he will be going to army soon. Joowon mentioned actors he is somewhat setting a benchmark to, such as Ahn SungKi and Robert De Niro, and that he cried watching The Intern.

• Like 9

@mrdimples You mentioned that the pictorials have a 'serial killer' vibe? LOL! I didnt notice. I thought of it because of the pictures on the wall. But because he's wearing a formal suit, so it looks like he's the catcher instead of the criminal.

Last year, I watched Cold Eyes movie and I was very interested in the lead role. The lead guy was a killer, as opposed to most other dramas/movie where the leads are a always the good guy. I want Joowon to still take the lead or joint-lead, but the focus to be on either him as the police or badass killer. As a police, it would be interesting to see his frustration trying to catch the bad guy. Possibly like That Guy movie, but while he's a civilian in TG, I want to see his frustration when he has to abide by the law while pursuing the criminals. Or if he plays the killer, I want to see him outsmarting the police in a really bad way. We see him do that in Yongpal, but he was a doctor which means he is not skilled in combat nor will he resort to killing the police when he's on the verge of being caught. Check out the movie and you'll see what I mean. I hope to see him take on any of these roles.

But Joowon has said before that he doesnt want to take on a policeman role anymore. He said he has played enough of that in Ojakgyo Brothers, Gaksital, Catch Me and Special Investigation Unit. But maybe, if the character is different, then Joowon will take on the role. After all, he said he doesnt want to do medical drama anymore, but he did it again for Yongpal because the character is different.

I'd like to see him tackle a role like Gong Yoo in The Suspect or Lee JunKi in Two Weeks. Someone who was mistaken as the criminal and had to run from the law in a badass way to avoid police while clearing his name.

I watched Cold Eyes but I much prefer the Hong Kong version although I think I like Jung Woo Sung more than Simon Lam. If he plays the police, I prefer him to be like Daniel Craig's James Bond. Roguish than polished., I love movies like James Bond(eh...actually only Daniel Craig's ones), Bourne Supremacy and the likes. Korea don't have the budget for such movies. And I hate most collaborations, by which I mean Hong Kong-China-Korea type. 

I haven't watched The Suspect, I should try this weekend. I finished Two Weeks but there's something about the way Lee Jun Ki acts that make his characters pathetic. It could be intentional but sometimes, I want to sympathize with my protagonist and not pity him. Can't put properly in words but there's a difference. I would prefer Joo Won to take on a full blown evil guy though. A serial killer who's smart, charming on the outside, psychotic, twisted and dark on the inside. That would be a challenge for him. I highly doubt any leading actors have taken such roles, have they? Perhaps only when he reached Choi Min Sik's age.

• Like 6

I. Just. Died.

And went to Cutie Heaven.

Cutie just spoke a few English phrases and sent flying kisses in his latest V-app broadcast! Kyaaaaah!!!!

Then there's those gorgeous photos of him that you just posted! Aaaaahhhhh!!!! 

Me too @moonandhearts My first time on V-app broadcast... Kept on typing: Please say something in English - as fast and as many as I could... THEN.. he suddenly said English words and I almost fainted from my seat!!!! Kyaaaaaa.........:wub:

He said, "Hi,  my name is Joo Won" and he said "Bye" and my heart dropped to the floor... 

Edited by Tasia
  • Like 8

I watched Cold Eyes but I much prefer the Hong Kong version although I think I like Jung Woo Sung more than Simon Lam. If he plays the police, I prefer him to be like Daniel Craig's James Bond. Roguish than polished., I love movies like James Bond(eh...actually only Daniel Craig's ones), Bourne Supremacy and the likes. Korea don't have the budget for such movies. And I hate most collaborations, by which I mean Hong Kong-China-Korea type. 

I haven't watched The Suspect, I should try this weekend. I finished Two Weeks but there's something about the way Lee Jun Ki acts that make his characters pathetic. It could be intentional but sometimes, I want to sympathize with my protagonist and not pity him. Can't put properly in words but there's a difference. I would prefer Joo Won to take on a full blown evil guy though. A serial killer who's smart, charming on the outside, psychotic, twisted and dark on the inside. That would be a challenge for him. I highly doubt any leading actors have taken such roles, have they? Perhaps only when he reached Choi Min Sik's age.

I'm dying to see him in such a character. No excuses. No redemption. Just smart, evil, crazy, but without past to justify his present actions. I'd like to see if he could make me empathize or "like" him. 

And i love real big vilains, so I want to see him acting this sort of character.

• Like 10

I. Just. Died.

And went to Cutie Heaven.

Cutie just spoke a few English phrases and sent flying kisses in his latest V-app broadcast! Kyaaaaah!!!!

Then there's those gorgeous photos of him that you just posted! Aaaaahhhhh!!!! 

Me too @moonandhearts My first time on V-app broadcast... Kept on typing: Please say something in English - as fast and as many as I could... THEN.. he suddenly said English words and I almost fainted from my seat!!!! Kyaaaaaa.........:wub:

He said, "Hi,  my name is Joo Won" and he said "Bye" and my heart dropped to the floor... 

OMG....his expression when he finished saying that was so so cute! Was he embarrassed or shy? Don't be sweetpie, your English is like music to my ears. My bias aside, his English really sounds good. 

• Like 8

He looks very tired in the sportskyunghyung photos. Weather is also turning cold... It must be getting tough. I wonder what new projects he's also reviewing now. Am waiting for the V-app broadcast to be subbed... 

Ah, JooWon ah... Noona here teach you English lah... In return you teach me Korean, can? Hahaha... Fair exchange, no? ;)

• Like 8

He looks very tired in the sportskyunghyung photos. Weather is also turning cold... It must be getting tough. I wonder what new projects he's also reviewing now. Am waiting for the V-app broadcast to be subbed... 

Ah, JooWon ah... Noona here teach you English lah... In return you teach me Korean, can? Hahaha... Fair exchange, no? ;)

He looks much better in the V app broadcast. I think the camera man didn't get the shots in good light. 

I am worried that subs aren't forth coming. Neither are translations. We need more Korean - English translators. There's a mountain heap of interviews and videos. Seems like Chinese subs aren't coming in either or they are in the pipeline. For Yong Pal it was pretty fast. Maybe those translators only worked on Yong Pal ones. 

Anyone here wants to translate from Chinese to English? The U-Weekly magazine interview is quite good. But I am not sure if I have the time. Anyone's Chinese is easily better than mine :D

Edited by mrdimples
  • Like 7

[INTERVIEW] Joo Won’s Turning Point

Singles Magazine ~ 2015 November Issue

2015102018328_282.jpg

I thought turning point of life is a word to describe when we can reminisce or bring up our past.  But I can positively say the new movie  “That Guy” would be an important point to Joo Won.  I can say he is an actor who thinks of his acting first rather than success.

Joo Won knitted his eyebrows and was hanging around inside a deserted empty house.  Between those eyebrows, sadness, anger, frustration, abandonment, faint hope, heartbreaking yearning, unreadable slyness shown on his face had quickly disappeared.  He was like Yongpal but he was also like a complete stranger.  We were in the middle of doing photo shooting for the fashion pictorial at a studio in Hannamdong.   However, by just looking at the two photos, the Yongpal that we saw on TV previous week had disappeared, instead an actor whom we saw first time today was standing there.  Yongpal no longer exists.

In his new movie “That Guy”, Joo Won was offered to play the role who was running after the murder suspect who killed his younger sister whose body was discovered three days after her disappearance.  “The character of Jang Woo in movie “That Guy” had all the elements which I always wanted to try to challenge.”  We are familiar with Joo Won’s appearances in his previous movies and dramas, but Jung Woo has a huge difference from these appearances.  Joo Won wore neat suit and doctor’s white gown in drama “Yongpal”, however he had unkempt hair and tanned skin in movie “That Guy”, it took more than two hours to apply coloring agent on his face.   The reason why Joo Won selected this movie was simple.  “It was very sad.  Even Jang Woo was not a policeman, he went around on his own in order to catch the suspect who killed his only sibling.  My heart hurt when reading through the scenario.”  Anyway, in addition he said this movie might become his turning point.

2015102018328_577.jpg

From the physically exhausted drama “Youngpal” and new movie “That Guy”,  Joo Won found people are more precious than any other things.  He has been acting and working with actors and staff for three months and they went through hardship and happiness together.  He came to realise the new meaning of “project is made by people” because they valued advice mutually in order to produce a better production.  “Even there was a small problem, without missing anyone on set, we all got involved and solved the problem positively.  Even we were so exhausted like we were going to collapse due to overnight filming for the whole week, it was unbelievingly enjoyable when we were on set.”  Among all these people, who is your biggest gain? “Of course, it is Tae Hee noona. Not only is she beautiful, her personality is also very beautiful.  The more you look at her, the more attractive you find her.”   Affection towards co-star is very important to act out in melo genre.  Because you must at least have a good impression to the person in order for you to be able to express the right feelings.  “Both Noona and I have many similarities.  Our similarity is when we don’t have work to do, we seldom go out.” 

Recently, Joo Won has taken a step back and is calmly looking at himself as an actor.  “When coming out from the theatre, I want to play a movie which makes you smile or a drama which makes you feel the happiness as you are watching itIf there is an interesting scenario and a good character, I don’t mind its scale.  (translator’s note:  whether it is a big or small production.)   It is alright even I don’t play the lead role, playing an unimportant role is also fine with me.  If I can play a project which I feel good, that is enough for me.”  During photo shooting for the pictorial, the actor who had worries was beamingly smiling like a lovely emoticon before I was aware of it.  That properly is Joo Won’s ultimate dream.   He becomes an actor with smiles shining on his face by just looking at him.

Source:   Singles Korea, 2015 November issue

Translation by manyearsago @ soompi

Translator’s note:  Korean is not my native language, I just translated above article according to my understanding so there could be mistakes in my translation.

• Like 16

I love you too, Joowon-ssi~ :wub:

CR6nVHdVEAQZ4Az.jpg

CR6lm3zVAAE7nJQ.jpg

I've never seen anyone pouts more than Joowon~

Joowon mentioned earlier that there is an event from which a gift in the form of VIP Premiere pass (I think) will be given. It's only for Korean fans. He also mentioned the name 'Eunji' (his dongsaeng in That Guy?), so my guess is that anyone with the name 'Eunji' can send their details to SIM and stand a chance to win. Anyway, the point is that this is only for korean fans. So he apologized to international fans that the event gift is only Korean fans, but wishes that the int fans will still come to support That Guy movie.

CR6eGUaUEAAf2L-.jpg

At around 10:59, I can totally hear someone whispering to him. LOL! Joowon was just saying whatever it is they tell him to say. As he approached the end, he said he didnt have anything more to say, so he resorted to reading fans' questions and messages to him. So cute~

• Like 9

I think the V-app broadcasts are improving his skills in speaking to fans and just interacting via social media and the like. I've always found it very difficult to "speak to myself" on film (I'm still trying - I hate sending video messages to people), but I do think it's a good skill to have with today's technology and ways of interacting. Well done, Joo Won ssi!

• Like 9

Joowon said the VIP Premiere for That Guy will be on 27th October! Lucky fans named Eunji (his sister's name in TG movie) stands a chance to win 2 tickets per person for the premiere. Wah! Cant wait to see the actors, actress and singers who came to support. Not forgetting industry bigshots who get to see Joowon's great acting, and will swarm him with projects and sponsors~

• Like 5