[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

Updated Nov.22,2005 20:01 KST

Kim Yun-jin Returns Home

200511220029_00.jpg

Kim Yun-jin has returned home. "Diary of June", the film that she has made with Shin Eun-kyung and Eric, in which she plays Seo Yoon-hee, a mother whose 7th grade child killed himself because he was an outcast in middle-school, is set to be released on December 1. This reemergence into the Korean film world comes precisely 3 years after her performance in "Deep Loves" brought her the Best Actress Award at the Cheong Ryong (Blue Dragon) Movie Awards. Kim who has become a Hollywood star due to her role on the popular ABC television show 'Lost', caught a 10 hour and 15 minute flight from the shooting location in Hawaii to return to Korea.

These days the actress is so busy that even if there were 10 of her it wouldn't be enough. 'Lost' which started up again last July, is strongly holding onto its 20 million viewers at its Wednesday night time slot. In the show the role Kim plays as 'Sun' a Korean woman concealing the dark secret, has got the attention of Americans fixed.

The one-year shooting schedule of 'Lost' season two is expected to go until Next May. If season three is filmed, Kim will have to stay on for one more year in Hawaii. The shooting of 'Georgia Heat' which cast Billy Bob Thornton as Kim's opposite, causing quite a buzz, has been delayed till next summer aiming at the pause between 'Lost' season two and three.

If Kim looks back on her rookie days when she ran about from audition to audition with a 7 minute demo-tape that she edited herself with the scenes featuring her from the Korean movie 'Shiri' and an interview with CNN, she may feel that she is living in a different world all together.

"Diary of June" shot for two months, May and June, which corresponds to the hiatus between 'Lost' seasons one and two. In her new movie, Kim plays a mother who is ignorant of the fact that her son has been alienated from his friends at school and mistreats him. It is only after her son's death when she realizes the truth, and Kim portrays the mother's collapse with great intensity. Particularly, the scenes where she cries out at images that show her son was abused by his classmates, offer clear answers to why Kim Yun-jin is all the rage in Hollywood and Chungmuro.

(englishnews@chosun.com )

Credits: Digital Chosunilbo

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0511220029.html

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Korean Wave to Promote Peace in East Asia'

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 19:38:10

2005112239_big.jpg

A scholar says the popularity of Korean pop culture, or the "Korean Wave," in Asia will help promote peace in East Asia over the long term.

Sogang University professor Shin Yoon-hwan on Tuesday said in the forum "Korean Wave and Peace Network in East Asia" in Seoul that the Korean Wave has improved the nation's image with its neighbors despite their hostile past.

The forum was hosted by the Advisory Council for Democratic and Peaceful Unification.

Shin said the change has laid the foundation for building mutual trust and will contribute to regional cooperation and integration.

He also warned against excessive nationalism in that it could fuel anti-Korean sentiment in East Asia.

Reported by KBS World Radio

Contact the KBS News: englishweb@kbs.co.kr

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...&key=2005112239

11-23-2005

New Thriller Deals With Bullying in School

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

The upcoming film ``By Standers’’ seems a typical investigation thriller about a serial killer, but its director and actors say that the movie also tries to shed light on the problems caused by people’s indifference.

Directed by Im Kyung-soo, the movie is a story about serial murders, which take place one by one as they are described in a diary of a dead middle school student, who long suffered from ``wangtta,’’ or bullying, by his classmates.

``Accidentally, I saw a television documentary program about the issue (of bullying in school), and I realized how serious it was,’’ Im said Wednesday during a news conference at Seoul Theater in downtown Seoul after the preview screening of ``By Standers.’’ ``I thought it resulted from social indifference, and I wanted to talk about it in my film.’’

``The portrayal of a student being bullied in the film may be seen as too extreme, but it is entirely based on my long research and that’s just the reality,’’ the director emphasized.

Although the film takes the genre of a conventional detective thriller, he put more emphasis on the story and message in it, but, at the same time, he was careful not to make it sound too instructive, he added.

Starring Moon Jung-hyuck, Shin Eun-kyung and Kim Yun-jin, the film revolves around two detectives Chu Ja-young (played by Shin) and Kim Dong-wook (Moon), who investigate the murder cases and get closer to the secret behind them.

Shin also explained that the film is not just a story about revenge but it carries the strong message that indifference can be worse than hatred.

``The film shows that individualism could create dangerous consequences, which finally return to ourselves like a boomerang,’’ Shin said.

The conference was also attended by Kim Yun-jin, who plays Seo Yun-hee, the mother of the dead boy in the film. To promote the film, Kim flew from Hawaii where she is now shooting the second season of ``Lost,’’ an American TV drama series.

Regarding her role in the second season of the prime-time drama, Kim said that as all the 13 characters have their own episodes her character would be portrayed like in the first season.

``I don’t know if my role will be more or less important in the second season, but I’m having fun shooting my scenes,’’ Kim said.

Along with the two veteran actresses, Moon, who is also known as Eric from popular boy band ``Shinhwa’’ shows his different images as a young detective in the film. The film is the first time for him to play a main character although he starred in many TV series as a main character.

Moon gave his impression of starring in the film saying that a movie is much more difficult format than a TV drama, demanding more physical and mental effort.

``I thought starring in a TV drama and movie were almost the same in the beginning, but I learned that I should care about every single and even minor shot while shooting the film,’’ Moon said.

``Bystanders’’ will be released at local theaters on Dec. 2.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

11-23-2005 19:42

Source: The Korea Times

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...19401011700.htm

Guest CindyW88

-----------

11/23/05 – The posters of the movie “Green Alert” starring Song Hye Gyo and Cha Tae Hyun are released. Theme of the movie “Our first love is like miracle” is shown on one of the posters. Through the posters, SHG and CTH present high school students images of their roles Soo Ho (수호) and Soo Eun (수은) who develop the best love in the world and their loves last forever. The movie will be debuted on 12/22.

200511230858191120_1.jpg200511230858191120_2.jpg

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...511230858191120

11/23/05 – To promote his Chinese movie “The Promise (무극)”, Jang Dong Gun will visit many Asian countries including China, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Indonesia (중국, 홍콩, 싱가포르, 대만, 태국, 인도네시아). On 12/9, he will leave from Inchun airport and then he will attend the large-scale world premiere held in Beijing on 12/11. In the movie, he plays the role Koon Roon (쿤룬) who is a slave with feet faster than the light. In addition to “The Promise”, he will attend the world premiere of another movie “Typhoon” held in Seoul on 12/5.

200511230153_00.jpg

http://www.chosun.com/se/news/200511/200511230153.html

http://sports.hankooki.com/lpage/cinet/200...10492058470.htm

11/22/05 – On 11/21, Jae Hee, Lee Na Young, Jang Dong Gun, and Soo Ae (재희, 이나영, 장동건, 수애) attend the “Handprint” event sponsored by the 26th “Blue Dragon Film Awards”. News media from Korea, Taiwan, Japan, and Hong Kong also attend this event held in “Korea Theater” at Choongmooro.

JDG states, “It seems to me that it happened yesterday that I received the Blue Dragon Award. I believe that Blue Dragon Film Awards, as the highest award ceremony, will continuously develop.” LNY says with a smile, “I become more prudent after I got the award. I work harder to meet the expectations of audiences.” The ceremony of “Blue Dragon Film Awards” will be held in “KBS Hall” located at Yoido of Seoul (서울 여의도 KBS홀) on 11/29.

200511210472_00.jpg

http://www.chosun.com/se/news/200511/200511210472.html

11/22/05 – Han Ji Min (한지민) will costar with Eric and Uhm Tae Woong in the drama “Wolf (늑대)” scheduled to be aired by MBC in January of 2006. The production company “Chorokbaem Media (초록뱀미디어)” announces on 11/22 that it selects Han Ji Min as the lead actress playing the role Ji Soo (지수). Ji Soo is the daughter of the owner of a department store. She is an energetic career woman and is deeply loved by two men. Tragic storylines will appear in the second half of the drama. The start of the filming is scheduled early next month. HJM’s latest projects include the drama “Resurrection (KBS2)” and the movie “The Blue Swallow (청연)”. This is the second drama that she collaborates with Uhm Tae Woong.

200511220169_00.jpg

http://www.chosun.com/se/news/200511/200511220169.html

11/22/05 – Sung Yoo Ri (성유리, 24) will lead the 18-episodes drama “Spring Waltz (봄의 왈츠)” scheduled to be aired in early March of 2006. Kim Jong Shik (김종식), KBS Drama the 2nd Team manager (드라마2팀장), reveals in a phone conversation with “Yunhap News” on 11/22 that SYR will play the role Eun Young (은영). As to the male lead, PD Yoon Suk Ho (윤석호) hasn’t made the final decision yet. The script writer is Jung Yoo Kyung (정유경) whose previous works include “Sweet Bear (반달곰 내사랑, MBC)” and “I Love Hyun Jung (현정아 사랑해, MBC)”. “Spring Waltz” portrays that a man and a woman were separated due to accident and they share beautiful childhood memories. Then they meet again when they are adults and fall in love with each other.

200511220115_00.jpg

http://www.chosun.com/se/news/200511/200511220115.html

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...511220852411110

http://sports.hankooki.com/lpage/entv/2005...12390658390.htm

http://news.goodday.co.kr/2005/11/22/20051...126302100.shtml

11/22/05 -- The production company “CK Media Works (CK미디어웍스)” announces that Go So Young (고소영) and Jae Hee (재희) are selected to lead its produced drama “사랑하지...않아” scheduled to be aired in the first half of 2006. The drama portrays a love story between a woman and a K-1 martial art fighter. The press conference of this drama will be held in mid December in Japan.

200511221020432100_1.jpg

http://news.goodday.co.kr/2005/11/22/20051...020432100.shtml

http://www.chosun.com/se/news/200511/200511210470.html

11/22/05 – Gam Woo Sung (35) plans to marry Kang Min Ah (강민아, 34) in January of 2006. They met each other in the 20th MBC training school for new entertainers about 15 years ago. Having been dating for more than 10 years, they decide to have their wedding held in Australia. Their family members, relatives, and friends are invited to the wedding. GWS’s new movie “The King’s Man (왕의 남자)” will be debuted on 12/29. KMA’s last drama was “The Third Republic (제3공화국)” aired by MBC.

200511220258_00.jpg

http://www.chosun.com/se/news/200511/200511220258.html

http://news.goodday.co.kr/2005/11/22/20051...641292100.shtml

Box office Top 10 (11/14/05 – 11/20/05)

1. The Brothers Grimm (Matt Damon, Heath Ledger)

2. Shadowless Sword (Lee Suh Jin, Shin Hyun Joon, Yoon So Yi)

3. Mr. Socrates (Kim Rae Won, Kang Shin Il)

4. Flightplan (Jodie Foster, Peter Sarsgaard)

5. Beast and the Beauty (Ryu Seung Bum, Shin Min Ah)

6. Elizabethtown (Kirsten Dunst, Orlando Bloom)

7. Corpse Bride (Animation Film)

8. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet)

9. Lord of War (Nicolas Cage, Ethan Hawke)

10. Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Animation Film)

http://www.krmdb.com/office/krbo-2005113.b5.shtml

--------------

^

Thanks Cindy for all the news updates especially on Jae Hee. Really appreciate the sharing. :)

-----------------------------------------------

I'm really not sure if this should/could be posted here. Please edit it out if it's inappropriate for the thread.

Updated Nov.23,2005 18:32 KST

30-Something Men Embrace Unisex Cosmetics

The dressing table of Ryu Dong-wan, a 31-year-old office worker, is closely packed with cosmetics, including three sets of skin toners and moisturizers, lotions and massage packs. Just two toners and moisturizers are for the use of men only; the rest are unisex cosmetics which his wife sometimes shares with him.

Ryu also uses a five-piece hair care set including a natural henna shampoo and hair loss treatment. "I feel like my hair is falling out early," he says. His wife uses only shampoo

200511230007_01.jpg

From left, advertisements for The Face Shop starring actor Kwon Sang-woo, Amore Pacific's Mirepa starring actor Cho In-sung, LG Household & Health Care starring singer and actor Rain, and Biotherm Homme using Danniel Henney.

According to an estimate by cosmetics manufacturers, the men's cosmetics market is growing by 7-8 percent a year, from W270 billion in 2002 to W330 billion in 2004. Competition is naturally getting fiercer. Apart from skin toners and moisturizers, more specialized preparations such as color cosmetics, masque packs, wax and hair dyes are finding a market. The metrosexual trend has interested many men in skincare, and their need for products is growing apace. Cosmetic manufacturers are aggressively marketing their products by using star models such as Kwon Sang-woo, Cho In-sung, Rain and Daniel Henney to secure their share of the market.

AmorePacific's men-only cosmetic lines Mirepa and Odyssey account for 7-8 percent of the cosmetic maker's sales, while those of TheFaceShop, which benefits from the pulling power of Kwon Sang-woo in its advertising, account for 9.8 percent of the company's sales and show steady growth.

Analysis of cosmetics trends by online auction site Auction found recent cosmetics purchases by men up 74 percent year-on-year. The figure is far higher than cosmetics for women, which stood at 53 percent, and the total growth of 63 percent. Purchases by men in their 30s soared by over 107 percent.

Unisex cosmetics are increasingly popular. Men's cosmetics made up only 24 percent of cosmetics bought by men this year, down from 26 percent last year, while unisex lines including haircare, bodycare and massage packs jumped to 43 percent this year, from 40 percent last year.

Experts say the boom in unisex cosmetics is mostly due to men in their 30s who start worrying about their skin and hair, plumbing for skin whitening and pore refining products as well as tonics for their denuding scalps. Online shopping malls now give embarrassed men a way of buying lotions and potions from the safety of their home, and examining the broad range of products without being flattened or scared away by the gaze of others. That group also has the biggest purchasing power.

Source: Digital Chosunilbo

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0511230007.html

I think it is time to start watching Suh Dong Yo, even without subtitles!

Autumn SW ... did you try registering from the English section of everjohyunjae? I had no problems registering. Emails the webmaster and see if they can help you.

Hi there, I read your thread and tried to register as well. I got in but did not get permission to download clips. I can't find email for the web site, and can't read Korea. Please help. Thank you.

Guest sandrydc

Son Ye Jin, Post “Hallyu Queen”

sonyejin1101.jpg

Son Ye Jin is dominating the spotlight of Korea, China, and Japan for a good reason, and is being given the token of the post “Hallyu Queen”.

Foremost, Son Yejin has transformed into a teaser, raising the expectations of her waiting movie fans. She has been filming an upcoming movie “Jakeop eui Jeongseok” with her costar Song Il Kook. Son Ye Jin plays a character unlike any of her previous melodrama characters, and is transformed into a lovable cute teaser. Her transformation is attracting much attention. Her acting has been winning praises as she plays an innocent looking teaser who captivates the hearts of many men.

Further, Son Ye Jin is expected to return to the home screens next year in January with Gam Woo Sung in a new drama “Yeonyea Shidae” as a divorcée in her twenties, which is yet another transformation from her usual roles. Her return to the TV screens is expected to attract many viewers.

Son Ye Jin is also gaining popularity as “Bae Yong Jun’s woman”. Son Ye Jin costarred in the movie “April Snow” with Bae Yong Jun, gaining the title “Hallyu Queen” and contributing to the success of the Japanese box office record-breaking movie. The movie “A Moment to Remember” which costars Son Ye Jin and Jung Woo Sung, is also reaping in success at Japan’s box offices, accelerating Son Ye Jin’s rise to the top as a Hallyu star. As a proof of her success, she has recently signed a commercial film contract with one of Japan’s top company famous for recruiting only the top Hallyu stars for its commercial films.

In China, the movie “April Snow” is ready to hit the box offices coming Nov., 11. How Son Ye Jin will be received by the Chinese public is expected to attract much attention. As a counterpart of Asia’s top star Bae Yong Jun, she is already attracting China’s attention, and her popularity is expected to increase after the screening of “April Snow”. Also, because China does not rate movies, the public is waiting to see how much of the love scene between Bae Yong Jun and Son Ye Jin will be revealed to the movie viewers.

When listing today’s most active actors in Asia, Son Ye Jin cannot be left out. Her current activities gives a reason for Korea, China, and Japan’s media attention as she quickly rises as the “Hallyu Queen”.

Source:http://english.tour2korea.com/02Culture/En...bm1_1&kosm=m2_7

Hi there, I read your thread and tried to register as well. I got in but did not get permission to download clips. I can't find email for the web site, and can't read Korea. Please help. Thank you.

First select the English section the look at the upper right of the screen. You will see a "contact" link for the webmaster of the site. As far as d/l, I think most of their stuff is streaming video.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

'Brown-eyed Brad Pitt' attacks TV screen

As if one wasn't enough, a second "Brad Pitt" with brown eyes and jet black hair has appeared without notice, luring viewers every Monday and Tuesday nights through the MBC primetime drama "Sweet Spy."

Not only does this "new" heartthrob have everything of the original, he is younger, taller and broader.

For the 24-year-old Korean-American actor Dennis Joseph O'Neil, better known to viewers as Dennis O, his "predecessor" Daniel Henney's overwhelming popularity was both a chance and a risk.

As a Korean actor carrying an exotic aura of the West, Henney, 26, had immediately grabbed the hearts of female viewers of the popular TV series "My Lovely Sam-soon," which ended in July.

200511230022.gif

Although Henney's successful start of an acting career broadened the chance for O'Neil to make his way through the Korean TV land - now familiar with these Korean-American Adonises - it also meant that he had to exceed Henney in some way to prove that he wasn't a mere "copycat." O'Neil seemed to have known from start that it would take twice as much effort for him to earn as much popularity and approval as Henney with people often comparing the two actors.

"Don't compare me with Henney. My goal is not to follow someone else's footsteps to earn popularity," he said in a recent interview with a monthly magazine. "People are bound to compare me with Henney since we come from similar backgrounds. But watch and see. In a few years, he and I will have become so different that no one will remember the times when we were compared to each other."

Apart from both being Korean-American actors quickly becoming the rising stars of Korean TV screens, O'Neil and Henney have a lot in common.

The two actors were both born of an American father and a Korean mother.

Despite the heavy stammers when they speak Korean, audiences immediately felt attached to these brown-eyed actors who claimed to love Kimchi from their mothers' homeland.

The two actors seem to have grown up feeling their mothers' homeland Korea as a close country to them. O'Neil once said in an interview that being able to eat Korean food everyday was what made him the happiest about starting an acting career in Korea.

Due to the language barrier and the risk of audience indifference, O'Neil and Henney started off their careers by first appearing on TV commercials. As audiences' curiosity grew larger, they then moved on to TV dramas, aiming to broaden their territories to acting.

In "My Lovely Sam-soon," Henney played the role of a Korean-American doctor who has a heart of gold to match his striking looks.

In the drama the doctor, who barely knew a few words of Korean, came to Korea not only to look after his love who was suffering from an illness, but also with hopes of seeing his mother's homeland for the very first time.

O'Neil's role in "Sweet Spy," on the other hand, is kept pretty much in the shadows until the sixth episode, which aired Tuesday. But as the handsome millionaire later falls in love with the heroine, he is to play an important part as the story unfolds.

The public's interest in O'Neil so far, is not due to his qualities as a good actor, but rather to his appealing mask. Because the actor does not have any Korean lines in the drama, speaking only in fluent English, it is hard for Korean viewers to evaluate his acting skills - which may even be beneficial for O'Neil under the circumstances.

But as seen in past cases of "pretty" celebrities who quickly disappeared after gaining an overwhelming popularity for a short while, good looks and temporary public interest do not let the actor hold fame through the end.

True, the boom for the Korean-American actors is going strong, and appears to have staying power.

But difficult tasks lie ahead for O'Neil - and also Henney - in becoming "permanent" stars in the Korean TV land. To pin their names down firmly, these actors must first overcome the language barrier to broaden acting territories and come up with a special tool to match the capricious tastes of today's TV audiences.

(hayney@heraldm.com)

By Shin Hae-in

Source: The Korea Herald

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/htm...00511240023.asp

Guest conduongmuathu

I registered well after make my friend help ^^. You can right click in the video clip and copy URL.

^

Thanks Luv! I'm happy to share the updates here. :)

-------------------------------------------

Shadowless Sword to open worldwide in 2006

admin2005112313545016vk.th.jpg

Shadowless Sword, a big-budget swordplay fantasy by KIM Young-joon set in the tenth century, is expected to be released in over 60 territories across the world.

The film is represented internationally by Hollywood-based New Line Cinema, which provided 30% of the financing in a deal with Korean production company Taewon Entertainment. According to Robert Remley, a senior vice president in charge of international marketing, New Line is also planning a large scale release in the North American market in 2006.

The influence of New Line Cinema, which often signs output deals with foreign distributors for works such as the hit trilogy Lord of the Rings, is expected to help the film sell widely to other international markets.

The film was shot in China, and was released in Korea on November 18. Set during the Balhae Dynasty in the tenth century, it tells the story of a female warrior who must return an exiled prince safely to his homeland so that he can assume the throne, as a group of highly skilled assassins attempt to kill him.

The film stars YOON Soy (Arahan), LEE Seo-jin (TV drama Damo), SHIN Hyun-joon (Bichunmoo), and LEE Ki-yong. Director KIM Young-joon previously directed Bichunmoo in 2000, and he has stated that his experiences shooting that film in China enabled him to make significant technical improvements in his latest work.

Source: KOFIC (Korean Film Council)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/news/news_view...em=&tmp_cnt=320

---------------------------------------------------

Nominations announced for Blue Dragon Awards

admin_20051124113827_1.jpg

The Blue Dragon Awards, considered one of Korea's top two awards ceremonies together with the Grand Bell Awards, has announced the nominations for its 26th edition.

Competing for the Best Picture award will be five critical and box office hits: PARK Kwang-hyun's Korean War drama Welcome to Dongmakgol, PARK Chan-wook's thriller Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, PARK Jin-pyo's melodrama You Are My Sunshine, JEONG Yun-cheol's drama Marathon, and KIM Dae-seung's period thriller Blood Rain.

With 15 categories in total, the films with the most nominations are PARK Kwang-hyun's Welcome to Dongmakgol and PARK Chan-wook's Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, each with eight nominations. Another three films managed to secure seven nominations each: You Are My Sunshine, Blood Rain, and A Bittersweet Life.

As for acting nominations, GANG Hye-jung (Rules of Dating), KIM Jung-eun (Blossom Again), SON Yeh-jin (April Snow), LEE Young-ae (Sympathy for Lady Vengeance), and JEON Do-yeon (You Are My Sunshine) will compete for the Best Actress award, while PARK Hae-il (Rules of Dating), RYOO Seung-beom (Crying Fist), LEE Byung-heon (A Bittersweet Life), CHO Seung-woo (Marathon), and HWANG Jeong-min (You Are My Sunshine) will battle it out for Best Actor.

The ceremony is scheduled to be held at 8pm on November 29 at KBS Hall in Yeouido, Seoul,

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/news/news_view...em=&tmp_cnt=322

MOVIE STARS of a DIFFERENT KIND. :)

11-24-2005

Movies Go to The Dogs

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

ensor200511241949460Movie1.jpg

Baru, a Basset Hound, starred in last year's romantic comedy "S Diary" with actor Kong Yu.

Just a few years ago, Jenny probably spent her days wandering the streets, her long blond hair tangled and dirty, looking for something to eat. Abandoned by her family, her life was hanging by a thread.

But since then, she has undergone a dramatic transformation into the long-legged star in movies or commercials you see today.

This sounds, perhaps, the kind of rags-to-riches story that has often been told before. But here’s the twist: Jenny is a dog.

Behind the success of the 10-year-old Afghan Hound is Igloo, the nation’s largest pet management company, which now takes care of some 90 dogs of 43 different kinds like Jenny, along with two cats.

``Almost two thirds of the animals here were abandoned in the past by their original owners,’’ said Kim Eun-jin, co-president of Igloo. ``But most of them are now stars who have experience of working for films or commercials.’’

ensor200511241949461Movie2.jpg

The Golden Retriever Ddongssagae appeared in the

2003 "Hello! UFO" with actor Kim Bum-su and late

actress Lee Eun-ju.

The celebrities at Igloo include Baru (Basset Hound) starring in the last year’s romantic comedy ``S Diary,’’ Duna (Maltese) from the 2000 film ``A Love Story’’ and Ddongssagae (Golden Retriever) from the 2003 ``Hello! UFO.’’

``As a film is made based on the reality and pets have become part of our ordinary life, dogs and cats appear more often in movies and dramas,’’ Kim added

Kim started the pet entertainment business with about 10 dogs in 1999 with her husband Hwang Oun-young, and now they also run a dog cafe where pet lovers can play with various dogs, a training center where pets are tamed to live suitably with people and a pension where travelers can stay with their pets.

Since the 2000 feature film ``Barking Dogs Never Bite’’ by director Bong Jun-ho, the animals from the company have appeared in more than 30 local movies along with numerous commercials.

``As the local movie industry has been successful over the past 10 years, the demands for pets that can `act’ in movies have also been on the increase,’’ Hwang said.

ensor200511241949462Movies3.jpg

A client of Igloo, a pet management company

Korea Times Photo by Kim Sung-ryong

According to the couple, a ``star’’ dog can earn an average of 7,000,000 won for one day shooting, which is comparatively high, given that an extra actor gets paid about 50,000 won a day.

``But it’s not true that their salary is exceptionally high as people don’t consider that their salary includes all the money that we spend on them. And most importantly, we also work hard behind the scenes for our pets to act properly,’’ Hwang said.

When their dogs or cats are chosen for a film, Hwang usually starts working with film staff to change some parts of a scenario to make it more realistic and natural for their pets to act.

But Hwang said there is no other special preparation or training for their pets for certain scenes or roles. All he does for them at sets or locations is just help them do what they do in a natural environment as he believes that good acting of their pets is nothing but doing natural things as they would in their ordinary life.

``It seems that people think a well-tamed dog can act brilliantly. But they could be very wrong. At sets or locations, things are totally different from where they live and get trained, which makes them really nervous,’’ Hwang said.

Although dogs at Igloo don’t have any special tricks or skills to show off like circus dogs, Hwang and Kim believe that they can show their companionship for human beings very naturally.

As they have to deal with new environments and meet new people at their dog cafe all the time, they can be a friend to anybody under any circumstances, Hwang explained.

ensor200511241949463Movie4.jpg

Duna, a Maltese, showed up in the 2000 film "A Love Story" with actor Lee Jung-jae.

Related news

Abandoned Canine Becomes Executive of Company

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

11-24-2005 19:43

Source: The Korea Times

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...19403911690.htm

I registered well after make my friend help ^^. You can right click in the video clip and copy URL.

I tried that with "Pleasure of Love" and Net Transport recognizes it as a file, but since Daum is a login site I don't think it will be able to access the file. Since first posting this message a kind person sent me the file. Does anyone know if this short film has been subtitled? Seems it would be easy to do since there is not much dialogue. I'd offer to time it if I had the English text.

Typhoon to open on a record 513 screens

admin200511251348315zo.th.jpg

Typhoon, a blockbuster action film directed by KT Kwak of Friend fame, is set to open on 513 screens on December 14, according to its distributor CJ Entertainment.

This is the same number of screens on which box office record holder Tae Guk Gi opened in February 2004. For this year to date, the largest release has been melodrama You Are My Sunshine on 450 screens.

Typhoon will also benefit from the largest marketing budget in Korean film history. Including the cost of striking prints, 4 billion won (~$4 million) will be spent on p&a (print and advertising) costs, including a special "world premiere" that will be held on December 5, with over 800 VIP guests from Korea and abroad in attendance.

Typhoon ranks as the most expensive Korean film ever with a production budget of 15 billion won (~$15 million). The film tells the story of a modern-day pirate who has been betrayed by both North and South Korea, and who sets out to take revenge. Shooting for the film took place in Busan, Thailand, and Vladivostok in Russia.

The film will also open on the same day as Peter Jackson's highly anticipated King Kong, making for an epic struggle at the box office.

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/news/news_view...em=&tmp_cnt=324

24-11-2005

Male Love: Instinct and Innocence

NOVEMBER 24, 2005 08:29

by Mi-Seok Koh ( mskoh119@donga.com)

2005112444168.jpg

Simply put, the movie "Kwang-shik's Brother, Kwang-tae" (directed by Kim Hyun-suk), which premiered on November 23, focuses on how men regard love.

The two main characters, innocent Kwang-shik (Kim Joo-hyuk) and playboy Kwang-tae (Bong Tae-kyu) are brothers. The movie shows how these two very different love, and exposes men’s innermost feelings which women often have misunderstandings of.

The movie shows that man is an animal that is both extremely innocent and wild, and that has both sincere and evil intentions.

Kwang-shik and Kwang-tae are as different as day and night, but they have one thing in common. Both have never said "I love you" in their entire lives: one because he is too innocent, and the other because he is such a player. This movie is convincing because it exposes the fact that men sometimes turn into Kwang-shiks and sometimes into Kwang-taes.

The movie neatly portrays a love story that is more realistic than today's absurd romantic comedies, thanks to the slight twists from the obvious formula and to savory lines and original episodes.

I, Kwang-shik: "My love from seven years ago has returned"

I am a 34-year-old photographer who runs a photo studio in Jamsil. It must have been seven years ago, when a bag of "Saewookkang" chips was only 400 won. I met a girl at a college club. I had returned to school from military service, she was a freshman. Yoon-kyung (Lee Yo-won) was idolized by the male students, but I never poured my heart out to her. Well, I tried a few times, but strangely, I would freeze every time I stood before her.

When girls say "thank you," I know what they mean. It is a circumlocution to express a vague state of mind. A similar expression would be: "You are a good man." This means I am not boyfriend material.

In college, my nickname was "peacekeeper in the world of love." As a result I have several "little sisters." Yoon-kyung has appeared in front of me again. But it's strange. She seems to have feelings for me, but why did she give chocolates on Valentine's Day to another man? I want to end my unrequited love of seven years and finally confess my love to her....

I, Kwang-tae: "Men must break up before the 12th encounter"-

The magic number that a man should remember is "12." Which means, in order to be cool, you have to break up with a girl before you sleep with her 12 times. This is when the man starts to get fed up with the relationship and the girl starts to get obsessed. Kyung-jae (Kim Ah-joong), the girl I just met, has a great body and a hot personality, but still I must break up with her at number 12. By the way, the average couple in OECD nations sleeps together after their third date; the rate of progress in Korea is too slow.

Why don't women know that men think differently of women from the bellybutton up and from the bellybutton down? Before sleeping with their girls, they leave their inner feelings in the pocket of their jackets as men leave their valuables in the public bath. Isn't it the same with women? When asked "How many men have you met before me," they always answer, "Three." Because saying "You are the first" will be an obvious lie, women assume that three would be a reasonable answer.

But I am worried that I keep loosing my mind from so much drinking these days. Come to think of it, I think a girl named Yoon-kyung asked me to give some chocolates to my brother, but I gave them to some other guy. What should I do? Oh, never mind. Fate can play games with relationships: if she is not his destiny, then she’s not. If they are meant to be, then they will meet somehow.

Credits: The Dong-A Ilbo

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?...d=2005112444168

2005/11/25 18:19 KST

S. Korean movie star Jang Dong-gun earns nearly 7 bln won

eng_1001.jpg

SEOUL, Nov. 25 (Yonhap) -- South Korean movie star Jang Dong-gun has already racked up nearly 7 billion won (US$6.7 million) in income this year, his promotion agency said Friday.

The 33-year-old actor had received 6.79 billion won in income from his agency StarM Ent as of the end of October, the company said in a regulatory filing.

Jang, whose filmography includes the 2004 blockbuster "Taegukgi" set in the 1950-53 Korean War, earned most of his money from starring in advertisements, including 670 million won from a contract with POSCO Engineering & Construction and 610 million won from a deal with Samsung Card Co.

The filing was made as the star agency went public on South Korea's KOSDAQ market. Incomes in South Korea's entertainment industry, traditionally hidden from the public eye, are becoming more transparent as star agencies increasingly seek to list their shares on South Korea's stock markets.

Ha Ji-won, a leading South Korean actress, earned 6.7 billion won for her agency, Well-Made Entertainment, over the last three years for her roles in film, including for this year's hit "Daddy-Long-Legs," according to the agency's back-door filing.

Park Eun-hye, who starred in the popular television period drama "Daejanggeum" set in a kitchen of the Korean palace, has brought in 1.6 billion won since 2002, the agency said.

(END)

Source: YONHAP NEWS

http://english.yna.co.kr/Engnews/20051125/...25181916EP.html

Updated Nov.25,2005 18:58 KST

Hyunbin to Become Esquire Hong Kong’s Cover Boy

200511250013_00.jpg

Hyunbin, the hero of this summer's hit drama "My Name is Kim Sam-soon," will be on the cover of a special edition of the Hong Kong version of Esquire magazine.

A source said Hyunbin will adorn the men's magazine's 17th anniversary issue and has finished shooting two different versions.

The issue will also feature an article introducing him as a Korean actor likely to conquer Asia and an interview about his daily life, the source said.

Hyunbin rose to stardom after appearing in two dramas -- "Ireland" and "My Name is Kim Sam-soon" -- and is currently shooting the movie "A Millionaire's First Love" directed by Kim Tae-gyun. He will try to branch out Asia-wide next year.

Source: Digital Chosunilbo

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0511250013.html

Archived