[News] Drama, Movies, Actors & Actresses

Guest CindyW88

The version with jdg on the cover is only available in Korea, in other parts of Asia you get either Steve Jobs or Yao Ming as the cover... :(

yup that was what i was going to say i saw on newstand the cover is Steve Jobs ...with his IPOD .my subsribed copy still not arrive i was like wondering so is there a few covers for this Time mag this week it depends on the country u are in ..maybe china will have yao ming ..

051114cover.gif

anyway here the article

main_splash.jpg

http://www.time.com/time/asia/2005/korea/story.html

the relevant part on entertainment :

One of Korea's hottest exports these days is entertainment—movies, TV programs, pop singers, Internet games—and that's a triumph of talent. An episode of the serialized television drama Jewel in the Palace scored Hong Kong's highest viewership ratings ever this year, and Chinese President Hu Jintao told a visiting South Korean lawmaker he's a fan. Jang Dong Gun, Korea's hottest leading man, is suddenly everywhere. After starring in last year's Taegukgi, a Korean War tear-jerker that broke box-office records at home, Jang is playing opposite Hong Kong star Cecilia Cheung in the big-budget U.S-Chinese-Korean co-production The Promise, which Beijing has picked as its contender for the Best Foreign Film Oscar.

The overseas popularity of such cultural exports has been dubbed the "Korean Wave," and it's at its crest. In the first nine months of this year, 550,000 tourists visited South Korea on Wave package tours, which take them to locations where TV serials have been filmed. At any given hour, millions of people in China, Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong and the U.S. are online playing Lineage, a computer game created by Seoul-based NCsoft. Singers such as Rain and BoA are white hot throughout Asia.

The overseas box office from South Korean films for the first six months of this year came to $42 million (up from $58 million for all of last year and $15 million in 2002), while computer-game exports are expected to reach $480 million (up from $376 million in 2004). That's still a pittance compared with the country's electronics exports, which are expected to top $100 billion this year.

But money isn't everything. Foreign Minister Ban Ki Moon says the Wave has brought South Korea long-overdue respect. "Everybody knows we are the 11th-largest economic power in the world," he says. "But we have 5,000 years of culture and this is not well known." Says Yang Kee Ho, a political-science professor at Seoul's SungKongHoe University: "The Korean Wave shows we're not just a small country anymore."

Koreans also say their art reflects the country's unique sensibility. For one thing, familial relations are strongly portrayed in its dramas. Yun Suk Ho, director of four TV serials that have been smashes in Japan, talks of han, a Korean word for a deeply felt sense of oppression: "Korean dramas express sadness particularly well. The writer of Autumn in the Heart would cry when writing his script. The actors, during rehearsals, started crying too." Shin Hyun Taik, a film producer who runs a government-funded foundation promoting cultural exports, emphasizes another aspect of han: a grudge mentality, with resentments directed at everyone from U.S. troops to Japanese politicians. "A grudge is part of our national sentiment," he says. "We have a talent for expressing this."

Shin worries that the Wave will subside. His solution: to aggressively court film industries in other Asian nations to join in co-productions and other cross-pollinations. "We don't want to make the same mistake Hong Kong made," he says. "The action flicks, the Jackie Chan movies, were great. But they didn't share with the rest of Asia and their wave ended." In other words, Korea simply can't go it alone in this business. *

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rural Men Seek Uzbek Brides

NOVEMBER 10, 2005 03:34

by Mi-Seok Koh (mskoh119@donga.com)

2005111045988.jpg

The storyline for the movie “Wedding Campaign” (directed and written by Hwang Byung-gook) is so simple it can be summarized in a single line: Old bachelors from a farming village leave for Uzbekistan in search of brides.

An abundance of episodes and inspiring characters make this movie a rustic, but humane drama.

“Wedding Campaign” received the spotlight early on when it was selected as the closing piece for the 10th Pusan International Film Festival (PIFF). PIFF selected this movie because it is a “melodrama that is warm, humorous and with a lingering note,” and it is “a sincere ode to the outsiders who bear the burdens of life, but gladly live their lives to the fullest.”

Man-taek (Jung Jae-young) and Hee-cheol (Yoo Jun-sang) are 38-year-old bachelors living in Yecheon, North Gyeongsang Province. Though they are completely different in character, the two have been best friends since childhood. Man-taek is an innocent and simple farmer, while Hee-cheol is a cheeky but lovable taxi driver. Suffering from ill-treatment at home because they have missed the “marriage timing,” the two friends pool their fortunes to leave for Uzbekistan in search of their soul mates. There, Man-taek meets a smart and energetic local interpreter, Lara (Su-ae) who fixes him up with a blind date. However, there is no way that the Man-taek, who is so shy he cannot even look at a woman, can succeed in a blind date.

This movie is outstanding because of the fact that it is a well-made popular movie. The characters and the drama are alive, due to great acting and well-organized directing. Jung Jae-young, who has a bucket-shaped hairdo and gained more than 15kg to look like a rural character, and Yoo Jun-sang, who permed his hair, developed a potbelly and tanned his skin, really resemble young men from the rural area.

The comical and cheerful acting of these two actors who seem to have become one with their characters makes the movie entertaining and convincing.

The discovery of Hwang Byung-gook, who wrote the scenario and directed the movie, is another great harvest from this movie. He exhibits talented storytelling and directing skills throughout this movie, which he said was inspired by a documentary dealing with the story of a rural bachelor going to Uzbekistan in search of a bride. By making good use of familiar rural landscapes and Uzbekistan’s foreign landscapes, he succeeds in portraying the sorrows of rural bachelors in a tone that is not too light and not too heavy.

The sweetness of the Yecheon dialect, the scene where the two friends are beaten by their mothers when they get drunk and sing with a loud voice at the community hall, the story of Man-taek, who is forced to learn Russian by Lara and has a hard time learning it, are all factors that provide the audience with satisfying laughs.

There is also a subtle social message in the movie. The line, “Importing rice and garlic…now we are importing women too” makes a statement about the conditions in the rural areas of the nation. The movie also touches matters on North Korean fugitives through Lara.

If one word is used to express this movie, it would be “sentiment.” Not the passionately burning type of sentiment, but one that slowly heats up and stays warm for a long time. In this movie flows the sentiment felt among family members, friends, and lovers.

Though the movie portrays the pain and loneliness of those living in the peripheries of the world, the overall tone is bright and positive. How long has it been since we have laughed along with stories of good people? I would like to meet the characters, who may actually be living somewhere in the rural area.

Wedding Campaign will be released on November 23. For ages 12 and up.

Source: The Dong-A Ilbo

http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?...d=2005111045988

KBS Global's updates on 2 Jangs :)

Update : Nov 10, 2005 KST 16:52

Taiwanese star Alec Su to give press conference along with Jang Nara

na_l.jpg

The Taiwanese singer Alec Su, 32, will hold a press conference with Jang Nara, 24, before the two participate in the 2nd Asian Song Festival to be held Nov. 11 in Busan. Su, who arrives in Korea Nov. 10, co-starred with Jang in the Chinese drama “Diamond Princess.”

The two singers will talk about their activities aimed at promoting cultural exchange between Korea and the Chinese-speaking region at the press conference, which is slated for Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. at the Multimedia Center of Chungang University in Heukseok-dong, Seoul.

Jang’s agency, Warner Music, said that Jang and Su, both big stars in China, became friends while co-starring in “Diamond Princess,” and will make appearances together at the upcoming music festival.

The agency also added that Su, a top star in the Chinese-speaking region, is interested in advancing to the Korean market as well, and that both Jang and Su will be of great help to each other’s careers.

Jang, who is currently filming a music video for her second album to be released in China, due out Dec. 10, will return to Korea Nov. 10 and leave again Nov. 17 after the festival. She will then launch a promotion of her new album in China and choose her next role in a Chinese movie or TV drama.

Source: KBS Global

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...7047_11858.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

Jang Dong-gun appears on cover of Time magazine

time_l.jpg

Top star Jang Dong-gun has appeared on the November cover of the Asian edition of the U.S. current affairs magazine Time. Entitled “Reinventing Korea,” the caption of the picture read, “From movies to music to science -- a new wind of creation is blowing in Korea.”

The cover story of the magazine described the Korean Wave phenomenon, attributing it to big Korean stars such as Jang, and introduced other prominent Korean figures, such as Professor Hwang Woo-suk and soccer star Park Ji-sung.

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainment/new...7054_11858.html

2nd Highest Price Paid for Domestic Film

Thursday, November 10, 2005 14:10:05

A Japanese film importer has paid the second-highest amount for the rights to a domestic movie.

The film's producer, Popcorn Film, said SPO paid 5.4 billion won for the romantic comedy "Cheongchun Manhwa," which is still in production, at the annual American Film Market in Santa Monica, California.

The amount is the second highest after the seven million dollars fetched by "April Snow" starring Bae Yong-jun.

"Cheongchun Manhwa," which means "Spring of Life Comic," stars top actors Kwon Sang-woo and Kim Ha-neul.

Reported by KBS World Radio

Contact the KBS News: englishweb@kbs.co.kr

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...&key=2005111022

The version with jdg on the cover is only available in Korea, in other parts of Asia you get either Steve Jobs or Yao Ming as the cover... :(

omg...no wonder..

i was looking for JDG'cover yesterday but i saw steve job's on the cover... :(

i tot it was the previous issue...

Friday, November 11, 2005

Why Prague can't beat Paris in romance

Perhaps Prague should never try to compete with Paris when it comes to love - at least, in the case of TV dramas here.

With just four episodes away from the finale, SBS weekend primetime drama "Lovers of Prague" has met a "major" setback; especially in comparison with its successful predecessor "Lovers of Paris."

With top actress Jeon Do-youn and actor Kim Joo-hyuk joining in the powerful production team of "Lovers of Paris" - including the writer and the producer - it seemed to be a matter of course that the next "lover series" would enjoy the same popularity.

But despite the pleasant start with a 20 percent viewer rating, which rose to 31 percent in the ninth episode, the ratings have collapsed back to 25 percent, and aren't showing signs of recovery.

200511100020.gif

Kim Joo-hyuk and Jeon Do-youn in "Lovers of Prague" (left photo) and Kim

Jung-eun and Park Shin-yang in "Lovers of Paris"

"Lovers of Paris," on the other hand, had reached above 30 percent in viewer ratings in just the third episode, and ended with an overwhelming rating of 58 percent.

Of course, a success of a TV drama should never be judged solely upon viewer ratings, and "Lovers of Prague" is still enjoying relatively high popularity considering other dramas suffer from much poorer ratings.

But as the drama draws closer to the end, some obvious defects have begun to appear, holding viewers back from fixing the channel on number six every weekend.

As a sweet romance between the president's lovable daughter and a rude-but-softhearted novice detective, "Lovers of Prague," at first, appeared to have viewers hooked.

But as the story unfolded, the narrative began to lose its track, confusing even the most faithful audiences.

Every week, the drama landed upon a new crisis - an expose of the heroine's status, a complicated political power struggle between the president and the head of the nation's largest conglomerate, and a suicide attempt of the heroine's old lover - without so much of a connection to relate each episode. Thus, many frustrated viewers began to criticize the "shabby" storyline.

"I felt like I was watching a mystery, not a romance. What is happening to the drama?" said one viewer on the drama's website after last week's episode.

Considering that the two lover series are written by the same writer, the narrative of "Lovers of Prague" does seem to lack empathic and persuasive power.

While being based upon an unrealistic Cinderella story, "Lovers of Paris" had still managed to arouse sympathy - especially among female viewers - due to the drama's solid structure. Unrealistic as it is, the story of a poor girl and her millionaire prince was based upon convincing situations made not just by the two main characters, but also by all other supporting roles.

Although "Lovers of Prague" follows a similar narrative of a romance between two people from opposite classes, the feeble structure of the drama disrupts viewers' concentration.

In fact, the only thread that manages to hold the story together seems to be the lifelike acting of actress Jeon and actor Kim. But despite the good acting, their love is not convincing enough because other characters fail to back up the central narrative.

For example, although two old lovers of the hero and the heroine should play a major part in tangling up the new romance, they seem so unrealistic and tedious that viewers wonder, "What's the point of having them in the story at all?"

Ironically, another major defect of the drama is the writer's "excessive" playing with words.

Viewers are of course mesmerized by the beautiful and witty dialogues which are so romantic that seem to be out of the world. But because they are so "out of the world," they soon become a bore.

Lines such as, "Love is like a camera flash; 'Pop!' and that's it," "What made your figure so selfish?" and "Go and try to take her with all your might, I will guard her with all my might," sounds so "cool" that people will immediately open up their notepads to jot them down, but are at the same time so unrealistic that doesn't reach anyone's heart.

True, it is dialogues that make people remember a drama long after it ends.

For example, "Damo," the major hit of 2003, had grasped many people's hearts with the famous line "Are you hurting? I am hurting too." The reason that this simple line aroused so much empathy was because it was spoken in a drama with an excellent storyline.

But no matter how witty and touching they are, the dialogues in "Lovers of Prague" no longer draw viewers to the TV screens as they fail to make a connection with the storyline. Dialogues can become excellent spices, but it is the storyline that becomes the main ingredient. And thus, pretty lines that do not make connection with the narrative only break up the viewers' concentration.

There are also criticisms about the excessive femininity and unreality of the heroine who has enough time to follow her lover around everywhere, while supposedly being a hotshot diplomat.

But even if these "little" criticisms are set aside, "Lovers of Prague" appears to be in need of some major patch-ups - especially if it hopes to catch up its predecessor's success.

(hayney@heraldm.com)

By Shin Hae-in

Source: The Korea Herald

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/htm...00511110023.asp

2nd Highest Price Paid for Domestic Film

Thursday, November 10, 2005 14:10:05

A Japanese film importer has paid the second-highest amount for the rights to a domestic movie.

The film's producer, Popcorn Film, said SPO paid 5.4 billion won for the romantic comedy "Cheongchun Manhwa," which is still in production, at the annual American Film Market in Santa Monica, California.

The amount is the second highest after the seven million dollars fetched by "April Snow" starring Bae Yong-jun.

"Cheongchun Manhwa," which means "Spring of Life Comic," stars top actors Kwon Sang-woo and Kim Ha-neul.

Reported by KBS World Radio

Contact the KBS News: englishweb@kbs.co.kr

http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/newsview_sub...&key=2005111022

I wonder how much will the following romantic comedy fetch...

New Poster of 'Arts of Seduction' released in Korea

A new romantic comedy, called 'Arts of Seduction', which is scheduled to screen in the first quarter of 2006 in Korea, has released its teaser posters to the public.

In this movie, Son Ye jin is casted as a teaser who toys with man's hearts....Song Il Kook is an experienced swinger who claims that he can make females from age of 3 to age of 80 fall in love with him.

/drool See for yourself.

omg, he made the cover!!! :lol:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...shirley, thank you for the news!!! can we get the issue in USA or just in Asia? I guess he's just on the cover in Asia's cover? *disappointed*

I'm so weird, I'm not even Korean and yet I'm just sooooo happy that Korean dramas/stars and/or actors are featuring in US magazine/newspaper lol. Maybe because I love Korean dramas so much.

hahha ya .sunshine .you love korea drama sooo much .~~ ...i dont think even in all asian countries you have the cover of JDG .i read though my copy .no pictures even of him .i think is only the korea version has it

you can go see Shadowless Sword next year ~

this movie sounds good ... jjy is such a good actor. i like soo-ae too. can't wait for it to be out.

ya one of the movie i am waiting for ..actually two movies i am waiting for has JJY in it !~Welcome To Dongmakgol is anothe ONe i must watch ..~~ ~~ .it is great .. he is receiving so much attention now with his acting ..~~ .haha i find him sooo adorable in Someone special .~ .

=

it seem we are like in a bidding market .so many movies like breaking records..here another news about records ~

hm. .i hope i got the amount right ..always mix up the chinese cents and dollars when translating

=====================================

Overseas distribution rights of Shadowless Sword exceeded US$10 million

200511100000171in_wuyingjian.jpg

Korea mega movie Mooyoungkum (Shadowless Sword ) breaking major records

Being the first movie in korea movie history with investment from Hollywood , Shadowless Sword has again created records of having sold overseas distriubtion rights of nearly over US$10 million at AFM. This is an unprecedented success in korea movie history

With investment from USA movie company .Newline Cinema, the movie has been receiving alot of attention at AFM in its intial stage of planning signing distribution rights with 23 overseas movie companies earning around US$4.5 million and there is also possibilities of signing contract with another 35 countries

The distributions fees had also greatly exceeded the previous records set by any korea movie . The companies who bought the distribution rights are major moviecompanies in their respective countries. For England, the company who bring in Lord of The Rings .are purchasing the distributions rights at US$600,000. In Germany, Warner BRo had signed the contract for distriubtion fees of US$550,000 . And the contract with Japan is reaching final stage of finalisation and has hope of creating a new record .

Specifically , the other countries that are also in negoitation include Lebanon , Peru , Portugal , Chile , Iceland, India , north america , West Europe and middle East countries . If contracts with these countries are finalised , the export value can easily exceed US$20 milllion . The luxurious setting in the movie and the riveting plot had earned great respond from overseas distributor.

Taewon Ent represtentative Jung Tae Won who is currently in USA , LA . reveal over a interview on 10th Nov that movie distribution companies from various countries are expressing their intestest in accqurinig the rights to this movie . making Shadowless Sword .able to receive the attention exceeding that Hollywood mega movie status . Shadowless Sword shall be the first korea movie to be released on mainstream market across the world

Shadowless Sword shall be released on 18 Nov in korea and will be release in China in the first week of Decemeber and for the first half of next year , it will be the first ever in Korea movie history to be release in USA in over 200 cinemas

Shadoless Sword .tell the story of 4 warriors and their adventure, friendship and love story during the period of Paihe .

《無影劍》海外版權逾1000萬美元破紀錄

韓國巨片《無影劍》接連創造大紀錄。

在韓國電影史上第一個引進好萊塢投資的《無影劍》在美國電影交易市場上又創造出海外版權收入超過1000多萬美元的大紀錄,這是韓國電影史上史無前例的巨大成功。

由於美國好萊塢的新線影業公司進行投資,從策劃初期開始就引起關注的《無影劍》在美國電影交易市場上,與23個國家電影商簽署版權合同,獲得了共計450萬美元的收入。而且可望即將與其他35個國家簽署合同。

各國的版權費也遠遠超過了歷屆韓國電影創造的紀錄。簽約的電影公司都是能代表本國的主要電影公司。以英國為例,進口發行《魔戒》等影片的娛樂影視公司以60萬美元的價格購買了版權。而在德國,華納兄弟公司以55萬美元的價格簽約。正在討論最後細節問題的日本版權費也有望創造歷史最高紀錄。

特別是,正在協商的國家中包括黎巴嫩、秘魯、葡萄牙、冰島、智利、印度等南美、北歐以及中亞國家,引起了關注。如果與這些國家簽約,出口額將輕鬆超過2000萬美元。豪華的場面和嚴謹的故事情節獲得了海外發行商的熱烈好評。

目前身在美國洛杉磯的泰源娛樂公司代表鄭泰源10日接受電話採訪時說:“各國電影發行商紛紛希望購買版權,這樣《無影劍》享受超過好萊塢大片的待遇。《無影劍》將成為在全世界主流市場公映的第一部韓國影片。”

《無影劍》在國內將於18日上映,而在中國將於12月第一周首映,並于明年上半年在韓國電影史上首次在全美200多家電影院首映。

《無影劍》以渤海時代為背景講述了4名武士的冒險、友情和愛情故事。

《體育朝鮮/205.11.10》記者 全祥喜

Guest nep13tune

Box Office in Seoul (Nov. 4 ~ 10, 2005)

1. Corpse Bride

2. The Beast and The Beauty

3. Princess Aurora

4. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

5. I Love You, Mal-sun

6. My Lovely Week

7. The Legend of Zorro

8. The 40 Year-Old Virgin

9. Sad Movie

10. Stay

Source: CINEMA CHOSUN @ http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/new...0511110002.html

Actor YDG really looked different, almost didn't recognize him! :D

11-13-2005

Tough Guy Yang Gets Geeked Up

By Kim Tae-jong

Staff Reporter

ensor200511132005540Toygh.jpg

Yang Dong-gun, right, poses for a photo with his co-stars Kim

Sung-soo, left, and Yoon Ji-min during a Seoul news conference

on Thursday for their film “Monopoly,” currently in production.

What does an actor need to take on a completely different and challenging role? An in-depth character study would be the first suggestion, but how about just getting a new hairstyle?

A new look was one of the first steps versatile actor Yang Dong-gun took for his new role in an upcoming film.

``I had to have my curly hair straightened and use a hairdryer to maintain it before shooting,’’ Yang told reporters during a news conference on last Thursday in a model home in Kunja-dong, Seoul, where his new crime thriller ``Monopoly’’ was being filmed.

Yang showed up with shoulder-length straight hair and thick frame eyeglasses, looking far-removed from his usual appearance with his naturally curly hair and hip-hop fashion.

Yang plays a computer hacker in the film and has to look sophisticated and intelligent. So, what he had to do was to emerge from his typical image.

``This is the first time for me to play a smart person from a privileged background, and I have to show it in my appearance,’’ Yang said. ``But still, I think the most important part of playing the character is to show his introverted and fainthearted personality.’’

``Monopoly’’ co-stars actor Kim Sung-soo and actress Yoon Ji-min. In the film, Yang plays Kyong-ho, a computer genius and a graduate from a renowned local science university, who tries to withdraw a small amount of money from almost every bank account in the nation with Korean-American businessman John (played by Kim).

Thursday’s filming was a scene with Kim showing off his fortune and introducing his lover Yoon to Yang, which suggests the future conflict between the three characters.

The 27-year-old made his debut as a child actor in a television drama at the age of 9, and he has since given impressive performances in soap operas and movies.

Although he has played serious roles such as a bi-racial man in Kim Ki-duk’s 2001 film ``Address Unknown (Suchwiin Pulmyong),’’ he has mostly played action heroes or comical characters.

In the television sitcom ``Nonstop’’ in 2000, he played a wacky college student, and in the 2002 hit series ``Ruler of Your Own World,’’ Yang brilliantly portrayed the struggle of a pickpocket who tries to overcome social obstacles.

In last year’s action film, ``Fighter in the Wind (Paramui Paito),’’ Yang portrayed the legendary Korean martial artist Choi Bae-dal and underwent months of physical training to become like the character.

Early this year, he also appeared on stage for a play titled ``Offending the Audience (Publikumsbeschimpfung)’’ by Peter Handke to challenge himself and learn more about acting. ``The way the actors interacted with the audience was shocking to me,’’ he said.

In addition to his acting career, he also released his first hip-hop single, ``Koori Baeng Baeng’’ in 2001.

Yang, however, will have to put his career on hold for a while, as he has to soon go to the army.

As he decided to star in ``Monopoly’’ after postponing his mandatory military duty, Yang said the film is more meaningful for him.

``After much meandering, I was able to star in the film, so I think I’ll have more things to say after finishing this film,’’ Yang said.

``Monopoly’’ has now completed 20 percent of its filming, and is expected to be released in March next year.

e3dward@koreatimes.co.kr

11-13-2005 19:56

Source: The Korea Times

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/culture/20...19542711690.htm

Guest dadedum

OMG when I read the quote about YDG looking different and then looked at the pic, I was like huh? that's Kim Sung Soo and 2 women. And I kept looking at KSS thinking how could that possibly be YDG.... :lol: I'm glad YDG is back, I thought he was going to the army?

ensor200511132005540Toygh.jpg

November 13, 2005

Korean Weekly News - 11/13

TOP NEWS

kangsyeon.jpg

For someone like Kang Woo-Suk, who made history with his blockbuster 실미도 (Silmido), directing a similar film - at least in scale - shouldn't have been that hard, but that's not what the influential director is feeling at the moment. Starting its shoot last month, his latest film 한반도 (The Korean Peninsula) has become quite a draining experience for Kang. He revealed in a recent interview he sometimes even regrets his decision to start the film at all. One moment he gains confidence shooting a scene, but he later loses it working on different parts of the film. He's spending each day on the set surrounded by the nightmare that, at the end of it all, he might regret it all, ending the day in a depressed mood.

The spectacular action drama is the latest challenge from a director who, along with Kang Je-Gyu, rewrote the history of popular Korean Cinema. He was always known for being a very pragmatic director, often ending shoots ahead of the planned schedule. But this film is different. Jo Jae-Hyun's first day on location was spent doing the same scene over and over, culminating in 200 NG. And the rest of the shoot hasn't gotten any better: not a day goes on without rewriting a scene, adapting it, working on the shoot for much longer than they planned. As a result of all this trouble, the planned January crank up has been postponed to March, which could delay the release of the film considerably (maybe to Chuseok).

But what's the problem, really? The new technologies and special effects which will be introduced in this film for the first time in Chungmuro is what has become such a struggle. Dealing with such technicalities and unfamiliar new techniques for people used to their old ways is creating problems with staff, actors and director Kang himself. The 10 Billion Won blockbuster stars Jo Jae-Hyun, Cha In-Pyo, Moon Sung-Geun, Ahn Sung-Gi and more, and for the moment has a planned release for the second half of 2006.

OTHER FILM NEWS

cheongchun.jpg

There were big expectations for Kim Ha-Neul and Kwon Sang-Woo's new comedy 청춘만화 (Youth Comic), but few expected this kind of figures. After the success of the comedy 동갑내기 과외하기 (My Tutor Friend) starring the two, Japanese companies were excited by the prospect of the two teaming again, especially in light of Kwon's popularity in Japan after his TV Drama 천국의 계단 (Starway To Heaven).And they probably made Popcorn Film (producers) and Showbox (distributors) excited as well, after signing a US$ 5.2 Million contract for distribution rights at the AFM (American Film Market).

This is the second highest figure after the 7 Million of Hur Jin-Ho's 외출 (April Snow), which led by the popularity of Bae Yong-Joon and Son Ye-Jin broke records in Japan. The film was acquired by SPO, the company which bought 'My Tutor Friend', 바람의 파이터 (Fighter in The Wind), 공공의 적 (Public Enemy) and more. 'Youth Comic' stars Kwon as Ji-Hwan, a young man who wishes to become a great action star like Bruce Lee, while Kim will play an actress with stage fright, and will tell the story of their 13 year long ups and downs in their friendship. Release is set for next Spring.

We talked already about Im Sang-Soo's next project 오래된 정원 (The Old Garden), but back then it was hard to imagine the potential quality of the film without a look at the cast. Now we can, as Yeom Jung-Ah and Ji Jin-Hee have been cast as the leads, which makes the whole thing even more interesting. The film will start shooting at the end of the month, for a first half 2006 release.

Although this is hardly bad news, one of the big blockbusters which was supposed to fight off with the giants next December pulled out of the race. We're talking about 야수 (Running Wild), the action noir starring Yoo Ji-Tae and Kwon Sang-Woo. The film planned to release on December 15, just like the other two big Korean blockbusters 태풍 (Typhoon) and 청연 (Blue Sparrow). But Kim Sung-Soo's film has been postponed to January 12, because - production company Popcorn Film announced - of delays in post production, especially for what concerns the score and sound effects.

Since the music is really important in this genre, and when you're dealing with a great composer like Kawai Kenji you WANT to wait, things will take a little longer to complete. The film, which cost 8 Billion Won, will now have a chance to have a fresh start, without the burden of competing with the other two blockbusters. And this is good news for the other two films as well, since there's more screens to conquer for both, and the chance of failure decreases for both. So 'Typhoon' and 'Blue Sparrow' on December 15, 'Running Wild' a month later.

Kim Sang-Kyung and Park Yong-Woo have been cast in the mystery human drama 조용한 세상 (A Quiet World), directed by Jo Ui-Seok. Jo returns to the directing chair after his debut film, the comedy 일단뛰어 (Make It Big). Park will play a detective in the murders division, while Kim will play the photographer who helps him solve a serial killer case, by protecting a woman who looks to be the next victim. The film shows touches of 살인의 추억 (Memories of Murder), Bong Joon-Ho's masterful drama which brought the talents of Kim Sang-Kyung to the attention of a larger audience. As for Park Yong-Woo, a longtime supporting actor, his role in 혈의 누 (Blood Rain) has become the catalyst in winning the young actor his first big leading role. The film is expected to start shooting early next year, for a late 2006 release.

Charmed by Moon Geun-Young in 댄서의 순정 (Innocent Steps), musical actor Park Geon-Hyung has quickly chosen his next project. He will star in the romantic comedy 生, 날선생 (Young Teacher) as a lazy teacher who ends up meeting his match, played by Kim Hyo-Jin. The film is directed by Kim Dong-Wook, who worked as assistant director in Song Neung-Han's 세기말 (Fin De Siecle) and 넘버 3 (No. 3), making his feature debut here. The comedy will start shooting at the end of the month, for a March 2006 release.

International Sales companies are doing quite well at the latest American Film Market. It's pretty clear distribution sales overseas will go up significantly this year. Here's some of the deals which took part at AFM: Kim Yong-Gyun's horror film 분홍신 (The Red Shoes) was sold to Tartan Film. The company plans to release the film next spring; Park Gwang-Hyun's superhit 웰컴 투 동막골 (Welcome To Dongmakgol) was sold to Japan's Nikkatsu for US$ 2 Million, and it's expected it will sign an US distribution deal pretty soon.

TV DRAMA NEWS

After the incredible flop of her latest Drama 가을 소나기 (Autumn Shower), which recorded an average rating of around 4%, even going as low as 2%, Jung Ryeo-Won will try to rebound back to the limelight, after being cast in the upcoming MBC Drama 늑대 (Wolf). The show has already a pretty talented cast with Eric Moon and Eom Tae-Woong. This is the third consecutive Drama on MBC for Jung, who starred in 내 이름은 김삼순 (My Lovely Sam-Soon), 'Autumn Shower' and 'Wolf' in a six month time span.

TV DRAMA WRAPUP

youngjae.jpg

Once upon a time, MBC was the 'Kingdom of TV Dramas' in Korea. If you look at the top 10 most popular dramas of all time, Munhwa Broadcasting company accounts for most of those slots. Although KBS' 첫사랑 (First Love) is still on top, MBC Dramas like 사랑이 뭐길래 (What Is Love), 허준 (Hur Joon), 그대 그리고 나 (You and I) and 아들과 딸 (Sons and Daughters) all hit more than 60% ratings. The station has written many of the most important pages in TV Drama history, leading trends, creating new standards, and employing some of the most talented writers and producers in Korea. But since this Summer, for a variety of reason - including the 'nude stage' issue - MBC has lost most of its flair. Even big stars - at least those who still aren't under contract with the station - are refusing to participate in MBC Dramas, for the public seems to drive away more and more from what was once their most loved channel.

But things might change in the near future. 달콤한 스파이 (Sweet Spy) is certainly not setting Korea on fire, but it has been holding its place against the much touted KBS Drama 이 죽일놈이 사랑 (A Love To Kill), recording ratings around the low tens, and getting positive reviews for its breezy and lightweight atmosphere (including Nam Sang-Mi's acting). But one producer who is responsible for a lot of MBC's greatest successes is finally coming back to the small screen. Lee Jae-Gab, the man behind classics like 'You and I', 장미와 콩나물 (Roses & Beansprouts) and the superb Historical Drama 홍국영 (Hong Guk-Young) will shortly debut with his latest drama, 영재의 전성시대 (Young-Jae's Heydays). The title is a playword on one of the landmark commercial films of the 70s, 영자의 전성시대 (Young-Ja's Heydays), and will star Kim Min-Sun as a lighting designer who dreams of becoming the best in her profession. The show, which will air it first episode on November 16 after the end of the disastrous 가을소나기 (Autumn Shower), was introduced by PD Lee as the Drama which will bring MBC back to its past glory. He commented that all the current failures of the channel are starting to become a big weight on his and the staff's shoulders, but he'll try his best to overcome those obstacles.

The show still used the story of a 노처녀 (a woman past marriage age), but Lee promises this won't be your usual story of a beautiful woman who apparently can't find a suitable bachelor. This in response to people who accused MBC of retreating to their last success, 내 이름은 김삼순 (My Lovely Sam-Soon), which told the story of an 'old' woman trying to find her way through Korean society. Lee says love and work aren't the only thing a woman of that age cares about, and we'll be able to see that in his show. Some people also accused Lee of following the basic outline of a popular Japanese TV Drama - Fuji TV's 2002 Drama 恋ノチカラ (The Power of Love), but he announced he talked with Fuji TV already, and there were no problems with them either, because the two dramas go in different directions after their start. The Drama, which also stars Yoo Joon-Sang of 나의 결혼원전기 (Wedding Campaign) fame, Jo Dong-Hyk and Lee Yoo-Ri as Young-Jae's sister Eun-Jae, is Lee's return after quite a while.

Now that the big sensation of this Fall 장밋빛 인생 (Life in Pink) is over, Lee's Drama will compete in the Wednesday/Thursday night slot with KBS2's promising new show 황금사과 (Golden Apple) written by the famous Kim Woon-Kyung - who wrote the amazing 서울의 달 (The Moon of Seoul), yes, the one starring Choi Min-Shik and Han Suk-Gyu - and SBS' 사랑은 기적이 필요해 (Love Needs a Miracle) which is doing pretty badly. And judging by the quality of his past work, the kind of realism and panache he instills in his Dramas, the way he supports the writer's - which is this case is the great Kim Jin-Seok from 전원일기 (Lifetime in The Country), another good sign - dialogue with his great vision as a producer could make 'Young-Jae's Heydays' the first sign of recovery for the struggling MBC. And I'm sure the industry would be better off if that happens.

The other 'war' on TV right now is the 'love triangle' between the three stations' Monday-Tuesday slot. MBC's new police comedy 달콤한 스파이 (Sweet Spy), SBS' Historical Drama 서동요 (The Ballad of Seo Dong) and KBS' Miniseries 이 죽일 놈의 사랑 (A Love To Kill) are all fighting each other, with similar results. All three are in the low tens, but MBC and KBS' shows just started, and have more potential to grow.

'The Ballad of Seo Dong' is Lee Byung-Hoon's first project after the monster success of 대장금 (Dae Jang Geum: Jewel in the Palace), starring Lee Bo-Young, Jo Hyun-Jae and Ryu Jin. Working again with writer Kim Young-Hyun, the show has been praised for showing aspects of the period, but the acting of the leads has been full of up and downs. Most definitely this doesn't hold up to the quality of 'Dae Jang Geum', but after the show got off to a rocky start, things are settling down, and even the awkward acting of Ryu Jin and Jo Hyun-Jae is improving a little. It might not be a great show, but it's still the only successful Historical Drama on TV right now, although MBC's 신돈 (Shin Don) is finally starting to improve its rating a little, despite being the best show of the genre on TV right now.

'A Love To Kill' pairs writer Lee Kyung-Hee of 미안하다 사랑한다 (I'm Sorry, I Love You) and singer Rain, after they worked together in the miniseries 상두야, 학교가자 (Sang-Doo, Let's Go To School). Although it's still early to tell, the show seems to be receiving good ratings. Despite always operating in the field of trendy dramas, which can be a dangerous place to be if you want quality, Lee Kyung-Hee has always been able to raise above the mediocrity the genre seems to almost command. She's a good writer, balancing the tropes the genre demands with intelligent characters, and much more realism than you'd expect. Ratings are not great right now, but given the popularity of Rain overseas, this was clearly a Drama targeted to Korean Wave audiences from the beginning. The storyline seems like an elephant walking a razor thin line which could break any moment, but acting is quite good, and it's a pretty entertaining series. We'll see.

Finally, 'Sweet Spy' is the 'writing couple' Kim Gi-Ho and Lee Seon-Mi's return after 신입사원 (Super Rookie). Even though the theme might not seem the lightest on paper, it seems the show is quite interesting, the acting beyond expectations, and the characters unique. Older men continue to favor the Historical Drama over the others, while 'A Love To Kill' appeals to the younger crowd between their tens and twenties. But 'Sweet Spy''s ratings are incredibly balanced amongst all age groups, which could improve their score in the coming weeks if that 'elephant' falls, or the Historical Drama loses impact.

TV DRAMA RATINGS

11/6~11/13

01. 41.5% 장밋빛 인생 (Life in Pink) - Wed/Thu Drama - KBS2

02. 31.4% 슬픔이여 안녕 (Goodbye To Sadness) - Weekend Drama - KBS2

03. 28.8% 프라하의 연인 (Lovers in Prague) - Special Project - SBS

04. 28.6% 별난여자 별난남자 (Weird Woman, Weird Man) - Daily Drama - KBS1

05. 20.5% 하늘이시여 (Dear Heaven) - Weekend Drama - SBS

06. 16.8% 서동요 (The Ballad of Seo Dong) - Historical Drama - SBS

07. 16.0% 이 죽일놈의 사랑 (A Love To Kill) - Miniseries - KBS2

08. 15.5% 들꽃 (Wild Flower) - Daily Morning Drama - SBS

09. 14.9% 다이아몬드의 눈물 (Tears of Diamond) - Friday Drama - SBS

10. 14.3% 고향역 (Hometown Station) - TV Novel - KBS1

Sources

Yahoo Korea - Star News - Chosun Ilbo - nKino - Cine21 - DVD Topic - Sports Today

CREDITS:

» Posted by X at November 13, 2005 12:20 PM

http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/004151.html

Apparently the nominations for the 26th Blue Dragon Award are out.

0올해 청룡의 영예를 품에 안을 주인공들은 누구일까. 오는 29일 서울 여의도 KBS홀에서 펼쳐지는 제26회 청룡영화상 부문별 후보가 치열한 경합 끝에 선정됐다.

올해는 작품성과 흥행성 등을 두루 갖춘 21개의 작품들이 15개(인기스타상, 한국영화최다관객상 제외)의 각 부문에 고른 후보를 냈다. 15개 부문 중 최다 후보작은 각각 8개 부문에 노미네이트된 '웰컴 투 동막골'(감독 박광현, 제작 필름있수다)과 '친절한 금자씨'(감독 박찬욱, 제작 모호필름). '웰컴 투 동막골'은 최우수작품과 남우조연(임하룡), 여우조연(강혜정), 신인감독(박광현), 음악(히사이시 조), 미술(이준승), 기술(조이석), 각본(장진 박광현 김중) 부문에 노미네이트됐다. '친절한 금자씨'는 최우수작품, 여우주연(이영애), 감독(박찬욱), 촬영(정정훈), 음악(조영욱), 미술(조화성), 기술(김상범 김재범), 조명(박현원) 부문에서 후보로 선정됐다.

7개 부문에 후보를 낸 작품도 3편이나 나왔다. '너는 내 운명'(감독 박진표, 제작 영화사봄)은 최우수작품, 남우주연(황정민), 여우주연(전도연), 감독(박진표), 여우조연(나문희), 음악(방준석), 각본(박진표) 등에 후보를 냈으며, '혈의누'(감독 김대승, 제작 좋은영화)는 최우수작품, 감독(김대승), 남우조연(박용우), 촬영(최영환), 미술(민언옥), 기술(신재호), 조명(아무개) 등의 부문에 노미네이트됐다. '달콤한 인생'(감독 김지운, 제작 영화사봄)도 남우주연(이병헌), 감독(김지운), 남우조연(황정민), 촬영(김지용), 음악(강기영 장영규), 미술(류성희), 조명(신상렬) 등에 이름을 올렸다.

상반기 화제작 '말아톤'(감독 정윤철, 제작 시네라인투)은 최우수작품과 남우주연(조승우), 신인감독(정윤철), 음악(김준성), 각본(정윤철 윤진호 송예진) 등의 5개 부문에, '형사'는 남우조연(안성기), 촬영(황기석), 미술(이형주 조근현), 기술(장성호), 조명(신경만) 등의 5개 부문에 노미네이트됐다.

'연애의 목적'(감독 한재림, 제작 싸이더스픽쳐스)이 4개 부문으로 뒤를 이었고, '사랑니'(감독 정지우, 시네마서비스), '그때 그 사람들'(감독 임상수, 제작 MK픽처스), '내 생애 가장 아름다운 일주일'(감독 민규동, 제작 두사부필름)이 각각 3개 부문의 후보로 선정됐다.

국내외 영화제에서 잇따라 수상한 '여자, 정혜'(감독 이윤기, 제작 LJ필름), 코믹물 '가문의 위기-가문의 영광2'(감독 정용기, 제작 태원엔터테인먼트)와 '마파도'(감독 추창민, 제작 시네마서비스), 인라인 액션 '태풍태양'(감독 정재은, 제작 필름매니아) 등 4편은 각각 2개 부문에 올랐고, '주먹이 운다'(감독 류승완, 제작 시오필름/브라보엔터테인먼트), '외출'(감독 허진호, 제작 블루스톰) 등 6편은 각각 1개 부문에 이름을 올렸다.

누가 받아도 손색이 없을 정도로 쟁쟁한 영화인들이 노미네이트되고, 국내 최고의 스크린 스타들이 총출동해 엮어낼 영광과 감동의 시상식은 29일 오후 8시부터 KBS 2TV를 통해 전국에 생중계된다. < 김인구 기자 clark@>

최우수 작품상

너는 내 운명

말아톤

웰컴 투 동막골

친절한 금자씨

혈의 누

감독상

김대승 (혈의 누)

김지운 (달콤한 인생)

박진표 (너는 내 운명)

박찬욱 (친절한 금자씨)

임상수 (그때 그 사람들)

남우주연상

박해일 (연애의 목적)

류승범 (주먹이 운다)

이병헌 (달콤한 인생)

조승우 (말아톤)

황정민 (너는 내 운명)

여우 주연상

강혜정 (연애의 목적)

5bo80003_4.jpg

김정은 (사랑니)

5bo80003_3.jpg

손예진 (외출)

5bo80003_2.jpg

이영애 (친절한 금자씨)

5bo80003_1.jpg

전도연 (너는 내 운명)

5bo80003.jpg

남우 조연상

공형진 (가문의 위기-가문의 영광2)

박용우 (혈의 누)

안성기 (형사)

임하룡 (웰컴 투 동막골)

황정민 (달콤한 인생)

Apparently the nominations for the 29th Blue Dragon Award are out.

최우수 작품상

너는 내 운명

말아톤

웰컴 투 동막골

친절한 금자씨

혈의 누

감독상

김대승 (혈의 누)

김지운 (달콤한 인생)

박진표 (너는 내 운명)

박찬욱 (친절한 금자씨)

임상수 (그때 그 사람들)

남우주연상

박해일 (연애의 목적)

류승범 (주먹이 운다)

이병헌 (달콤한 인생)

조승우 (말아톤)

황정민 (너는 내 운명)

yup i see lee byung hun in the best actor category

;) together with jo seung woo

최우수작품상 (Best Picture)

너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine)

말아톤 (Marathon)

웰컴 투 동막골 Welcome to Dongmakgol

친절한 금자씨 Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

혈의 누 Blood Rain

감독상 (Best Director)

Kim Dae-Seung, 혈의 누 (Blood Rain)

Kim Jee-Woon (달콤한 인생) - A bittersweet Life

Park Chan-Wook(친절한 금자씨)Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

Park Jin-Pyo, 너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine)

Im Sang-Soo, 그때 그 사람들 (The President's Last Bang)

남우주연상 (Best Leading Actor)

Park Hae-Il, 연애의 목적 (Rules of Dating)

Ryu Seung-Beom, 주먹이 운다 (Crying Fist)

Lee Byung Hun ( A bittersweet life)

Jo Seung-Woo, 말아톤 (Marathon)

Hwang Jung-Min, 너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine)

200511140144_00.jpg

Guest adikkeluangman

Bae Yong-jun provided with top-class security in China

2005-11-14

bae_l.jpg

Actor Bae Yong-jun, who is visiting China to promote the movie “April Snow,” is

being escorted by 150 public order and police officers in Beijing.

Bae’s agency, BOF, said that the actor was provided with a security detail to escort

him to Beijing’s major theaters following a special premiere on Nov. 12, and that

some 150 security officers were dispatched to prevent any safety accidents. The

agency added that Bae’s visit was reminiscent of a visit by a head of state.

Upon his arrival in Beijing on Nov. 11, Bae held an official press conference and

had lunch with the world-renowned film director Zhang Yimou.

On Nov. 12, the actor gave interviews to major local media organs, and

participated in a special premiere of “April Snow” at the Beijing Hall along with

director Heo Jin-ho. “April Snow” was the first movie ever to be screened at the

hall, which is located within a 10-minute ride from Tiananmen Square and is one

of the largest in China.

"The audience of more than 2,500 welcomed Bae and Heo with a big round of

applause when the two appeared onstage," said a person from BOF.

When Bae appeared in front of the audience, Chinese fans shouted, “We love you,

Bae Yong-jun,” for more than 10minutes, and sang a song written especially for

him. In response, Bae said in Chinese, “Thank you. I will visit China again soon.”

Following a Q&A session, the actor donned a red traditional Chinese costume that

his Chinese fans presented to him, and posed for the cameras. To commemorate

his visit, more than 10,000 fans signed their names on a banner.

All proceeds from the premiere were donated to the Chinese Copyright Protection

Association. Bae will return to Korea on Nov. 13.

c: KBS Global News

Guest CindyW88

----------

11/13/05 – Jung Ryu Won decides not to lead the drama “Wolf (늑대)” scheduled to be aired by MBC in January of 2006. On 11/12, the representative of JRW’s agency states, “We apologize to Park Hong Gyoon (박홍균) PD and the production company ‘Chorokbaem Media (초록뱀미디어)’ that we change our decision in one day. JRW receives many warm advices from viewers of ‘Autumn Shower’; however, she concludes that she won’t perform in the drama ‘Wolf’.” JRW will take a break during which she plans to recover her physical strength as well as read books to recharge herself.”

200511130126_00.jpg

http://www.chosun.com/se/news/200511/200511130126.html

http://www.mydaily.co.kr/news/read.html?ne...511121602231110

TV Rating (11/7/05 – 11/13/05)

1. Rosy Life (KBS2) -- 39.6%

2. International Soccer: Korea vs. Sweden (SBS) -- 30.3%

3. Lover in Prague (SBS) -- 28.3%

4. Lottery 645 (SBS) -- 28.2%

5. Goodbye to Sadness (KBS2) -- 28.0%

6. Peculiar Man, Eccentric Woman (KBS1) -- 26.4%

7. The Instantaneous Capture of the World (SBS) -- 23.2%

8. Sponge (KBS2) -- 21.0%

9. The Sky (SBS) -- 20.8%

10. GAG Concert (KBS2) -- 20.0%

http://www.tnsmk.co.kr/rating/main.asp?menu=Gi_Weekly

------------

남우주연상 (Best Leading Actor)

Park Hae-Il, 연애의 목적 (Rules of Dating)

Ryu Seung-Beom, 주먹이 운다 (Crying Fist)

Lee Byung Hun ( A bittersweet life)

Jo Seung-Woo, 말아톤 (Marathon)

Hwang Jung-Min, 너는 내 운명 (You Are My Sunshine)

200511140144_00.jpg

I am glad Park Hae-Il was nominated once again...he was simply astonishing in rules of dating!

Archived