Wanee & Junah 와니와 준하 (2001)

Starring: Kim Hee-Seon, Joo Jin-Mo, Jo Seung-Woo

Director: Kim Yong-Gyun

Genre: Romance, Drama

Runtime: 113mins

Production: Generation Blue Films

Distribution: Warner Brothers, Cineclick Asia

Language: Korean

Wanee, a promising animator, and Junah, a fresh script-writer, are live-in lovers in their mid twenties. Their life stays peaceful though tainted with a hint of loneliness, until one day... A short visit by an old friend triggers Wanee's aching memories of her first love--her step-brother. With realistic characters, delicate emotions, and a short enticing animated prologue and epilogue, this heart-warming story describes the conquering difficulties of contemporary couples in love and work

Wanee and Junah, a couple in their mid-twenties, are living together. Wanee is an animator and Junah wishes to make his debut as a scriptwriter in the movie. Their love stays mutual, but seems tainted with a hint of loneliness. One day, when Wanee learns that her younger brother Youngmin will return home, she falls back into the past she wants to forget. Then a young woman named Soyang, who was close friends with Youngmin and Wanee during high school, visits Wanee’s home out of the blue. By the visit of Soyang, Junah becomes aware of the feelings Wanee has for Youngmin.

Wanee's affection for her half-brother Youngmin had grown through their whole adolescence. However, after both of them realized that their intense feelings for each other, Youngmin struggled with the reality of their unattainable love, and left. Upon discovering Wanee's aching first love and the reason why they've become distant, Junah leaves Wanee for a while to her own discretion instead of urging her to get over all the memories...

waneejunah.jpg

SOURCE : 와니와 준하

와니와 준하

와니와 준하

와니와 준하

와니와 준하

와니와 준하

• 5 weeks later...

^ I liked it. It's one of those subtle kinds of films. I think this is the only movie where I like Kim Huiseon (Kim Heesun) in.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I don't think Youngmin is Wanee's step brother, but rather, her half brother from an affair her father had (or, he had two wives, can't remember exactly). It's been a while since I watched it. It's a pretty good movie, I still have it in my collection, so I guess that says something about how I feel about it! It's definitely one of those complex, slow moving, character-driven movies, so it's not for everyone. Certainly not one of those "lovey-dovey" good feeling types! If you can find it, I'd recommend it.

Guest uskpop

I like this movie a lot. But I have to watched 2 times in order to actually understand it. It's kind of confusing at first. This movie certainly has some complex characters that really require the audiences to pay attention and think deeply on different kind of relationships in life. I can't explain why I like this movie so much and has keep watching again and again. Perhaps, I like both main characters together and how they love each other so much but somehow there is still a distance between them.

About the brother whom Wanee fell in love when she was in high school, I thought he was really her step brother. But after mj07 mentioned, I suddenly think he was actually her half-brother. It's very unclear on their blood relationship.

By the way, I love KHS's acting in this movie :)

I fell for this movie's subtle charms too. I liked how it never rushed, that it peeled away its characters' layers little by little, exploring taboos and relationships in a realistic-but-never-histrionic manner. Very nicely shot and scored too, and the animation that bookended the film was adorable. Wanee and Junha are complex people and you get to know them very well (even as you watch in frustration/sadness/understanding the 2 of them making it difficult for the other to know what they're thinking and feeling). The film made me care about them, and root for them to stay together despite all their baggage. Which is why I was genuinely glad and relieved at the end when they finally decided to give happiness a try.

Actually, I don't think Youngmin is Wanee's step brother, but rather, her half brother from an affair her father had (or, he had two wives, can't remember exactly).

Yep, he's Wanee's half-brother. Her father's mistress left him in their care one rainy day. So

their being together would really have been incest (and not one of those "Autumn Tale"/"One Fine Day" thingies)

I think this is the only movie where I like Kim Huiseon (Kim Heesun) in.

Ditto.

does anyone know where i can download it? xD

http://clubbox.co.kr/kdwluverz

All this talk about the movie is making me want to pull it down from the shelf and watch it again!

POSSIBLE SPOILERS:

melusine: I thought I remembered a scene of the two kids in the rain, is that when they first met? when his mom abandoned him?

END SPOILER

This movie has some great visuals that really stuck in my head, particularly the scene when Junah rescues the kitten!

ya he the half brother ....the synospis actually already written it the relatinship ... ..this perhaps one of the only KHS movie i can watch and like .......

the opening animation already took me by surprise ...and the story move like a gentle breeze in a summer day ..there some flashback scenes that cleverly intersect with the reality ...................

Trailers

mms://stream.cineseoul.com/hepk/hepk003981.wmv - korea

http://www.cineclickasia.com/trailer/Wanee&Junah.asx - english

mms://video.mov3.com/wanee_and_junah.wmv - chinese

MV

mms://stream.cineseoul.com/hmusic/hmusic003981.wmv

making of

mms://media3.nkino.com/Theque/TrailerTheater/1997/300.asf

14.jpg

18.jpg

ooooh … I'd completely forgotten about the animation in this one, ya, it's really beautiful! It's just been too long since I watched this one!

• 2 years later...

When joo jin mo's character said that his first love was when he was 7 yrs old with his neighbor, that he saw her crying naked outside her door....that was kim hee sun's character right? that's what I understood based on the animation...

despite it's slow....but i liked it...I guess it flowed smoothly with the score and scenes...and it did make me wanna root for them...

i also interpreted why she didn't wanna be promoted from animation to sketching...it was like animation was her feelings for her brother...and she didn't move on from him because she was scared to truly open up to junah...but when he left, she realized that she felt incomplete without him and finally let go of her past, so she accepted the promotion because she wasn't scared anymore.

i watched this movie years ago & one animated scene became permanently my desk top picture, the drawing is so lovely. i watched it twice before i could understand the hints on why Wanee & Junah had unseen troubles (but felt) in their relationship. this is the only movie where i appreciated Kim Hee Sun's acting. Normally i don't give a hoot about her (sorry!) but she was wonderful here. loved the ending..

Archived