Son Ye-Jin 손예진 [Drama “Thirty-Nine” (JTBC/NETFLIX)]

Helena

Guest sandrydc

'Box Office Queen No. 1' Son Ye-Jin, 'Wife Married' 7th To Pass 1 Million

Thanks for sharing the new. I'm so proud of her, my all time favorite actress.

Guest kdramafanusa

"My Wife Got Married" will be shown in Southern California (US) next Sunday?? :):wub:

http://www.thefilmcatalogue.com/catalog/Fi...ail.php?id=6845

My Wife Got Married

Korean - Romance - 120 mins.

Details

Screenings

Sunday, Nov. 9th - 11:00 AM - AMC Santa Monica #2

Company

CJ Entertainment

Cast

Joo-hyuck Kim, Ye-jin Son

Director(s)

Yun-su Jung

Writer(s)

Hye-jin Song

Producer(s)

Peter Zhu

Production Status

Completed

Completion Year

Synopsis

It all started with football. Deok-hoon falls in love with In-ah, who shares his love and passion for the sport. They quickly become lovers and he proposes. After her initial refusal, they are eventually happily married. Marriage is like a dream until one day In-ah declares her wish to marry another man. She doesnt want a divorce, as she truly loves Deok-hoon she wants to be free to love another man at the same time. Even with Deok-hoon unable to handle being the third side of a triangle, In-ah marries her new man and sets up a bizarre, bigamous romance.

Budget

3M-5M

Guest kdramafanusa

Weekly Box Office [Friday 2008.10.31 ~ Sunday 2008.11.02]

1. My Wife Got Married 아내가 결혼했다 (South Korea)

Opening Date : 2008/10/23

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 329,588 / 1,093,727

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 2,283,055,000 / 7,325,910,500

Screen : 474

Share : 28.5%

Director : Jung Yoon-Soo

Main Cast : Son Ye-Jin, Kim Joo-Hyuk, Joo Sang-Wook

2. Eagle Eye 이글 아이 (US)

Opening Date : 2008/10/09

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 186,717 / 2,050,486

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 1,207,926,500 / 13,151,522,000

Screen : 334

Share : 16.1%

Director : D.J. Caruso

Producer: Steven Spielberg, Ed McDonnell, Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, Patrick Crowley, James M. Freitag

Main Cast : Shia LaBeouf, Michelle Monaghan, Rosario Dawson, Anthony Azizi, Billy Bob Thornton

3. The Bank Job 뱅크 잡 (US)

Opening Date : 2008/10/30

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 185,526 / 211,644

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 1,216,456,000 / 1,375,653,500

Screen : 276

Share : 16.0%

Director : Roger Donaldson

Main Cast : Jason Statham, Saffron Burrows, Stephen Campbell Moore, Daniel Mays, James Faulkner

4. Body Of Lies 바디 오브 라이즈 (US)

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 132,732 / 474,059

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 885,798,500 / 3,070,561,000

Screen : 290

Share : 11.5%

Director : Ridley Scott

Main Cast : Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe, Mark Strong, Golshifte Farahani

5. Mamma Mia! 맘마미아! (US, UK)

Opening Date : 2008/09/04

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 68,999 / 4,335,590

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 442,974,500 / 28,120,834,500

Screen : 268

Share : 6.0%

Director : Phyllida Lloyd

Producer: Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, Benny Andersson

Main Cast : Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Amanda Seyfried, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard

6. Fly Me To The Moon 플라이 미 투 더 문 (Belgium)

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 55,059 / 58,338

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 374,757,000 / 395,891,000

Screen : 191

Share : 4.8%

Director : Ben Stassen

Cast : Nicollette Sheridan, Tim Curry, Ed Begley Jr, Adrienne Barbeau, Philip Bolden

7. Good & Bye Departures 굿' 바이:Good & Bye (Japan)

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 46,267 / 66,186

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 306,575,000 / 398,723,500

Screen : 206

Share : 4.0%

Director : Yojiro Takita

Cast : Masahiro Motoki, Ryoko Hirosue, Tsutomu Yamazaki, Kimiko Yo

8. Crush And Blush 미쓰 홍당무 (South Korea)

Opening Date : 2008/10/16

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 30,097 / 506,650

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 211,886,000 / 3,368,036,500

Screen : 230

Share : 2.6%

Director : Lee Kyung-Mi

Main Cast : Gong Hyo-Jin, Lee Jong-Hyuk, Seo Woo, Bang Eun-Jin, Hwang Woo Seul-Hye, Bong Joon-Ho

9. 26 Years Diary 너를 잊지 않을 거야 (Japan, South Korea)

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 26,122 / 31,614

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 159,709,500 / 191,724,500

Screen : 190

Share : 2.3%

Director : Hanado Junji

Producer : Junichi Mimura, Atsuko Yamakawa, Akifumi Sugihara

Cast: Lee Tae-Sung, Naoto Takenaka, Takatoshi Kaneko, Jung Dong-Hwan

10. Painted Skin 화피 (Hong Kong)

3-day Adm / Total Adm : 24,222 / 136,492

3-day Gross / Total Gross (won) : 162,820,000 / 898,028,000

Screen : 206

Share : 2.1%

Director : Gordon Chan

Producer: Donnie Yen, Wilson Yip

Main Cast : Donnie Yen, Qi Yuwu, Zhao Wei, Xun Zhou, Sun Li

Source: KOBIS

Guest kdramafanusa

^ Thanks Rubie.

The new project has been confirmed as the film Baekyahaeng ["Into the White Night" / 백야행]...

The movie is based on a Japanese movie (Byakuyoku) which was based on a novel, which was also made into a Japanese drama in 2006.

Anyone has seen the movie version? I only found information on the J-drama.

I wonder who will co-star with SYJ in this project. I don't have anyone in mind right now.

Ha Jung-Woo? He probably has too many projects at the moment. Chungmuro' busiest actor for sure.

Jo Seung-Woo (Who Are You, Classic, Marathon, Tazza)? I read "Like Fireworks, Like Butterflies" is his last movie before enlistment though.

April Snow although was a local fizzer, it did brilliantly in some other nations in Asia, namely Japan, so technically that movie shouldn't be considered a failure at all.

I agree with you, it was reported that the movie was pre-sold to Japan (BYJ is so popular there) for an amount that's around its production cost. It & A Moment To Remember are the top 2 best selling Korean films in Japan, I don't remember which movie sold more tickets.

April Snow is not everyone's cup of tea, some people love it while others hate it. It sold about 800,000 tickets in Korea, it actually wasn't bad if we look at the box office performances of director Hur Jin-ho's previous movies; none of them (even his most classic film "Christmas In August") passed 1 million mark. His 2007 movie "Happiness" was his 1st film to do so.

finally i knew the reason she resign from IRIS :rolleyes:

she is still trauma in SPotlight so she don't want to take some drama for amoment i think

We never got confirmation of her being in IRIS. I think many of us got too excited at the idea of her being in drama with LBH that we lost focus.

Did she say something negative about Spotlight?

Guest valley girl

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/2882/vi...e25c04ccdb6.jpg

i hate that ohui CF how could she endorse Aging Cream she is just 26 now!! looking For Flopping movies i think korean is smart person they know someone who really can act!! as long as i knew if the good actress/actor played in good story movie they will watch it. hahaha..

^ Thanks Rubie.

I agree with you, it was reported that the movie was pre-sold to Japan (BYJ is so popular there) for an amount that's around its production cost. It & A Moment To Remember are the top 2 best selling Korean films in Japan, I don't remember which movie sold more tickets.

April Snow is not everyone's cup of tea, some people love it while others hate it. It sold about 800,000 tickets in Korea, it actually wasn't bad if we look at the box office performances of director Hur Jin-ho's previous movies; none of them (even his most classic film "Christmas In August") passed 1 million mark. His 2007 movie "Happiness" was his 1st film to do so.

As long as you know SYJ's movie Especially after a moment to remember till this movie passed 1 million viewers!.. come on she played in sad Drama not all people enjoyed i think it's big hit due the type of movie, it usual like the chaser or 3 noms attract more than 5 million tickets

We never got confirmation of her being in IRIS. I think many of us got too excited at the idea of her being in drama with LBH that we lost focus.

she said she feel stress with Spotlight Rating , she so disappoint when she knew spotlight in small rating

Guest kdramafanusa

i hate that ohui CF how could she endorse Aging Cream she is just 26 now!!

looking For Flopping movies i think korean is smart person they know someone who really can act!! as long as i knew if the good actress/actor played in good story movie they will watch it. hahaha..

As long as you know SYJ's movie Especially after a moment to remember till this movie passed 1 million viewers!.. come on she played in sad Drama not all people enjoyed i think it's big hit due the type of movie, it usual like the chaser or 3 noms attract more than 5 million tickets

she said she feel stress with Spotlight Rating , she so disappoint when she knew spotlight in small rating

Ohui probably has an entire line of skin care products (not just anti-aging cream).

Whether a movie flops or not doesn't always have to do with whether the stars are good or not; if that's true, all the great stars will have hits after hits.

According to AsiaEconomy article, SYJ's movies average 1.7 million viewers each. A Moment Of Remember actually wasn't her 1st hit.

Crazy First Love, A Moment To Remember, and Art Of Seduction sold more than 2 million tickets; the rest (except April Snow) passed 1.5 million. Besides talent/beauty, I think she's pretty fortunate to have the moviegoers like her works.

Just like in Hollywood, action movies & thrillers appeal to a wider audience; romantic comedies and melodramas are sometimes classified as chick flicks. GBW was this year's best selling film (it did very well), but it cost 20 billion Won (read from Twitch that 6.6 million tickets would only break even); Divine Weapon & Sunny were both 10 billion Won productions (need more than 3 million tickets to cover).

TV Rating is not something that 1 star can control, a lot of factors determine its success; it's mostly what viewers find appealling. A show watched by more people doesn't automatically make it better than a show with low viewership rating. I personally don't think Spotlight was bad. There are shows that got even lower ratings.

Besides box office and TV rating, it's really a personal preference. There are certain shows/films that didn't do well, but they are great to me.

Guest valley girl

Ohui probably has an entire line of skin care products (not just anti-aging cream).

Whether a movie flops or not doesn't always have to do with whether the stars are good or not; if that's true, all the great stars will have hits after hits.

The AsiaEconomy article said that SYJ's movies average 1.7 million viewers each. A Moment Of Remember wasn't her 1st hit.

Crazy First Love, A Moment To Remember, and Art Of Seduction sold more than 2 million tickets; the rest (except April Snow) passed 1.5 million.

Just like in Hollywood, action movies & thrillers appeal to wider audience; romantic comedies and melodramas are sometimes classified as chick flicks. GBW was this year's best selling film, but it cost 20 billion Won (read from Twitch that 6.6 million tickets would only break even); Divine Weapon & Sunny were both 10 billion Won productions (need more than 3 million tickets to cover).

yeah i just don't like she's endorsed that aging cream part hahahha..

3 noms i think it's not as much ticket as i know approximatelly 7, millions ticket sold , Open City sold 1,612,803 * based koreanfilm.org..

the Restless ( KTH , JWS * my lovely actor ), Daisy , Hwang Jin i ,venus and mars ( KTH , Seol kyeong Gyu ) ~ both high budget, Famous actress and Quality actor but Flopped too .

i think i am Glad due SYJ type is same but it's still passed over 1 million ( SKG never not passed than 3 million tickets in all of his movies except this only 300,000 tickets he must be bit Shocked hahah he is Song KAng HO same class actor )

TV Rating is not something that 1 star can control, a lot of factors determine its success; it's mostly what viewers find appealling. A show watched by more people doesn't automatically make it better than a show with low viewership rating. I personally don't think Spotlight was bad. There are shows that got even lower ratings.

Besides box office and TV rating, it's really a personal preference. There are certain shows/films that didn't do well, but they are great to me.

does alone in love worst than Spotlight in rating?? Kdramafanusa she just disappointed come on her movie always be Hit !, there always be some confident feel from her even she didn't said Clearly . probably She Think this drama at least will be Good. i wanna watch spotlight cause SYJ not JJH so when i came into a forum kdrama in my country an comment about Spotlight Guess what only Me who Praised her :lol: :lol: , they said SYJ is Annoying ~ her charachter means .. So she Works!! , working for annoyed the viewers hahahaha

Guest kdramafanusa

yeah i just don't like she's endorsed that aging cream part hahahha..

3 noms i think it's not as much ticket as i know approximatelly 7, millions ticket sold , Open City sold 1,612,803 * based koreanfilm.org.. the Restless ( KTH , JWS * my lovely actor ), Daisy , Hwang Jin i ,venus and mars ( KTH , Seol keong Gyu ) ~ both high budget but Flopped too . i think i am Glad due SYJ type is same but it's still passed over 1 million ( SKG never not passed than 3 million tickets in all of his movies except this only 300,000 tickets he must be bit Shocked hahah he is Song KAng HO same class actor )

Again, we can't compare all movies like that. I don't know the budget for Open City, but I'm 100% sure that it's not a 10+ billion Won like Restless & HwangJinYi (both were labeled huge flops b/c they didn't sell any where near the amount needed to break even).

As for Seol Kyeong-Gu, he is a top star with several movies on the all-time list. His movie "Silmido" (2003) was the 1st Korean movie to sell more than 10 million tickets. "Another Public Enemy" (2005) and "Public Enemy Returns" (2008) sold more than 4 million tickets; "Voice Of A Murderer" (2007), "Jail Breakers" (2002) belonged to 3 million club. He has a string of best selling hits, Venus & Mars was one of the exception.

I don't think we should talk about other stars too much here, it might lead to misunderstandings by fans of others as well. :)

Guest valley girl

Again, you can't compare all movies like that. I don't know the budget for Open City, but I'm 100% sure that it's not a 10+ billion Won like Restless & HwangJinYi (both were labeled huge flops b/c they didn't sell any where near the amount needed to break even).

As for Seol Kyeong-Gu, he is a top star with several movies on the all-time list. His movie "Silmido" (2003) was the 1st Korean movie to sell more than 10 million tickets. "Another Public Enemy" and "Public Enemy Returns" sold more than 4 million tickets; "Voice Of A Murderer" around 3.245 million. He has a string of best selling hits, Venus & Mars was one of the exception.

I don't think we should talk about other stars too much here, it might lead to misunderstandings by fans of others as well.

i don't mean to compared the actors + actress sorry!! :sweatingbullets: :sweatingbullets: :sweatingbullets: i just mean even the stars is famous it's doesn't guaranteed the movie will be Good, attract the viewers , or not Flopped. i just don't think the budget since there are some movie small budget but high income ~ i just mean it that kdramanusa.

Guest kdramafanusa

Source: Variety

Posted: Mon., Nov. 3, 2008, 2:27pm PT

'Wife' scores at Korean box office

'My Sassy Girl' remake disappoints

By SUNHEE HAN

SEOUL -- CJ Entertainment's "My Wife Got Married" ruled again at the Korean box office last weekend.

Pic took first place in its second week, adding $1.32 million from 260,000 admissions on 471 screens; cume is $5.2 million from 1,020,000 admissions to date.

Meanwhile, Elisha Cuthbert starrer "My Sassy Girl," based on the Korean film, had a disappointing bow, opening outside the top 10. It took $37,900 from 7,432 admissions during its four-day run on 69 screens handled by distributor Showbox.

"The Bank Job," starring Jason Statham, opened at No. 2, with $882,000 from 173,000 admissions during a four-day run on 275 screens handled by Sidus FNH.

"Eagle Eye" slipped to No. 3 in its fourth weekend, adding $739,500 off 145,005 admissions on 328 screens; cume is $10.2 million from 2,008,000 admissions.

"Body of Lies" was at No. 4, with a $520,000 weekend take from 102,000 admissions on 286 screens. It has grossed $2.2 million from 444,000 admissions to date.

The economic downturn has only accelerated the local film industry's troubles.

Pics below the top 10 drew fewer than 50,000 admissions.

Among the new releases, 3-D animated pic "Fly Me to the Moon" took sixth place, grossing $239,000 from 47,000 admissions on 193 screens for new distributor Cinergy.

Two new Japanese films were notable on the chart. Helmer Takita Yojiro's "Departures" opened at No. 7, with $300,000 from 59,000 admissions on 203 screens for buyer and distributor KD Media.

Based on the true story of a young Korean man's sacrifice in Japan, "26 Years Diary" ranked No. 10 with $102,000 from 20,000 admissions on 183 screens for distrib Lotte Entertainment.

© 2008 Reed Business Information

Guest kdramafanusa

i don't mean to compared the actors + actress sorry!! :sweatingbullets: :sweatingbullets: :sweatingbullets: i just mean even the stars is famous it's doesn't guaranteed the movie will be Good, attract the viewers , or not Flopped. i just don't think the budget since there are some movie small budget but high income ~ i just mean it that kdramanusa.

Valleygirl, you don't have to appologize. It's hard to communicate online sometimes, we don't always get the points the other person is trying to get across. :)

What I meant was we shouldn't compare stars too much here because other fans who visit this thread might misunderstand that we are putting down some other celebs.

A film is generally considered a hit if it makes money (sell more tickets than its production cost) and a flop if it doesn't. There are films with small production cost that unexpectedly become very successful too, i think these are classified as sleeper hits. The same goes for a TV drama, TV networks want their shows to score high ratings so that they can charge more for the advertisement (i assume). As an viewer/audience, there are more to a film/drama than box office performance and tv rating (high numbers simply mean that they generate interest among a wide range of viewers) but...

does alone in love worst than Spotlight in rating??

Alone In Love actually never hit 20% in tv rating, I think it appeals more to a certain group of viewers (young audience might not like it). In the rating department, it's not a huge hit or anything. However, it was considered successful because the critics viewers who saw it gave it very high remarks (writing/directing/acting/etc).

As for Spotlight, I don't remember any of us ever mentioned that SYJ's character was annoying in its drama thread on Soompi; most of us liked her and Ji Jin-Hee too. :) Spotlight was one the 1st occupational dramas from Korea, K-dramas are not quite experienced in this category yet; I don't think it was bad. I can understand why others might not like it or serious dramas like White Tower without any romance.

Quoting Mr. X (from Twitch): [MBC’s 스포트라이트 (Spotlight) was quite a solid effort, hampered by a change of writers mid-flight, a PD who never should have touched this material, and the usual crazy on-the-fly shooting techniques Korean TV should instantly get rid of. Yet, Son Ye-Jin and Ji Jin-Hee’s excellent acting, and the whole “we’re not touching romance with a ten foot pole” bravado of sticking to genre tropes was most welcome, for once. And any drama using Lee Seung-Yeol’s beautiful vocals earns half a point.]

[As if we needed any further confirmation, her wonderful performance in 스포트라이트 (Spotlight) showed once again that Son Ye-Jin is the best actress of her generation (along with, may I suggest, Gong Hyo-Jin and Cha Su-Yeon]

Guest valley girl

As for Spotlight, I don't remember any of us ever mentioned that SYJ's character was annoying in its drama thread on Soompi; most of us liked her and Ji Jin-Hee too. :) Spotlight was one the 1st occupational dramas from Korea, K-dramas are not quite experienced in this category yet; I don't think it was bad. I can understand why others might not like it or serious dramas like White Tower without any romance.

Overall, SYJ has more success in the film industry than TV.

not in soompi kdramausafan hehehe.. for me 80's born generation which really good in Acting

Cha su yeon ?? i'll looking for all her projects when i'am Googling there's so many page comes in because her talent maybe.

Gong hyo jin ~ absolutely

Son Ye jin

what about kim ah joong ~ i could comment on her since her Projects not so many.

i still looking for it hhehehe.. most rising star actress now 79's Born

Guest chatteraddict

just wanna join the conversation here...if you guys may... :D

April Snow's production budget was around 6 billion won (apprx 6 mil usd), it was pre-sold to Japan for 6 mill usd. according to my previous movie production experience, Korean ticket sales was just an icing on the cake, plus 9 other Asian countries bought the movies' rights. The ticket sales in Korea is just statistics. So in terms of revenues, it wasnt a flop at all. I think April Snow sold more tickets in Japan since they showed the movie 3 times in cinemas since its original release, they even have a different version for the ending (lucky Japanese!)

I agree that April Snow was not everyone's cup of tea, but i think that the low ticket sales in Korea is somehow the marketing's fault, they market the film as a commercial film but its an Art film in reality so, much of the people who saw it expected something else than what they saw. But i believe that SYJ overshadowed BJY there in terms of acting.

I read in an article somewhere about Spotlight, SYJ said it would be a lie if she say she wasnt bothered and burdened about the low ratings of the drama, she's also thinking about the staff and the crew since high ratings are the best incentives they can get, but that's the reality and she cant change it.

Spotlight was too technical and too political for young people to see. Personally, i dont think its a bad drama, but i think they focused too much on SYJ's character that the other characters were pushed on the side, the production put on an ensemble cast but the story focused to only one person, i think that's the reason why many of its viewers were disappointed.

does alone in love worst than Spotlight in rating??

Alone in Love's rating was better than Spotlight, though it never reached 20%, its average rating was 13-16%, i think there was an episode that reached 19%. Alone in Love is one good example on how cruel ratings sometimes could get, AIL is considered as the best drama of 2006 but it was beaten by Which star are you From in terms of ratings.

I don't know the budget for Open City,

Open City's buget was approx 6 billion won. It earned around 11-12billion won in the box office, minus the marketing and cinema expenses, it wasnt a blockbuster but enough to hit its break even. Open City wasnt great movie, it has a weak story and a weak director, but, because SYJ was already established a good reputation and a strong fan based with her movies, still 1.7 million went to watch it.

TV Rating is not something that 1 star can control, a lot of factors determine its success; it's mostly what viewers find appealling. A show watched by more people doesn't automatically make it better than a show with low viewership rating. Besides box office and TV rating, it's really a personal preference. There are certain shows/films that didn't do well, but they are great to me.

i so agree. viewers nowadays are very smart, to depend on the actors popularity on the sucess of a project are long gone. They now look at the plot, writers and directors, watch a few episodes then decide if its worth sticking to.

there are drama's that get high ratings but doesnt really offfer something new on the table, sometimes, its just a matter of luck as well.

I dont think its fair to say that the reason for a movies' fault is because of a weak acting, it may be one of the reason but not the entirety of it, i remember critics before say that SYJ's acting was mediocre, but look at her now. the entertainment industry is very unpredictable, even the best of the best critics cant say what will sell and what will tank.

I can say that SYJ is both blessed and lucky to be offered good scripts and work with good directors who helped her with her acting. And what made her a top star now is that people pay good money to watch her act in the big screen. What project to agree to and what to shoot next are mostly the actors decision, its just a matter of luck if the people will find that decision worth watching.

i hate that ohui CF how could she endorse Aging Cream she is just 26 now!!

Well, most actors doesnt have much say on what kind of product to endorse, as long as they have a contract, they have to do what the product company wants (of course there are excemption). When i saw SYJ doing s CF for rice cooker i was like "WTH??" but its a contrct and they have to respect it, besides they get tons of money from doing it.

sorry for the uber lenghty post.

thanks for the pics and articles!!