[Drama 2010] Dong Yi 동이

Guest kdramafanusa

^

They're decent. Not good and not that bad ahaha. The other dramas on the same timeslot got ratings in the tens as well. The Birth of the Rich got 15.5% (5th) in Seoul and 15.7% (5th) nationwide. Jejoongwon got 13.2% (7th) in Seoul and 12.2% (10th) nationwide.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Bashful! I was going through other ratings and I kind of felt relieved that it wasn't bad. I hope they'll pick up though. Dong Yi seems like a LARGE production which must've cost a lot of kaching.. haha :P

And aside from that, I'm rooting for Hyo Joo and Soo Bin. x)

^

No problem Ms. Pho Tai :P

I'm sure the ratings will gradually increase. I thought episode 1 was pretty good haha. I didn't understand anything, but I got the gist of it from reading the spoilers. And gosh... the scenery and cinematography is just gorgeous. I love the use of colors 8D

Anyways... Screen captures of the opening title

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

edit:

Screen captures from episode 1

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

9-2.jpg

10-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

13-1.jpg

14-1.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

But still, the 1st epi rating is weak compared to Queen Seon Deok, last year MBC megahit Anniversary saeguk. Maybe viewers still remember Yi San, Lee Byung Hun previous saeguk which can be considered failed since the average rating weren't too high (below 30%).

Guest valley girl

i just realized lee su yeon is on Dong yi. i love her in " why did you come into my house ". i am going to watch this drama

Guest kdramafanusa

Maybe viewers still remember Yi San, Lee Byung Hun previous saeguk which can be considered failed since the average rating weren't too high (below 30%).

Average rating of almost 30% is certainly not low for a drama with 77 episodes; in fact, Yi San was MBC's highest rated drama (not based on the rating of just 1 episode) of 2008. It wasn't PD Lee's biggest rating winner, but how many dramas can come even close to his Huh Joon (topped 60%, averaged almost 50% for 60+ episodes) and Dae Jang Geum?

Strictly about ratings....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[REVIEW] TV series "Dong Yi" - Premiere episode

Editor : Lynn Kim | lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

기사입력 2010.03.23 17:27 최종수정 2010.03.23 17:27

How to avoid comparisons with "The Slave Hunters"

2010032315215459282_1.jpg

A scene from the first episode of MBC historical drama "Dong Yi" [10Asia]

"Dong Yi" - First episode (MBC TV, Monday/Tuesday evenings 9:55 P.M.)

The most important responsibility of the premiere episode in an epic historical drama, which tells of a success story of a character, is to stamp a clear image of the main character into the minds of viewers. And drama "Dong Yi" successfully achieved that mission through a five-minute relay sequence where the young Dong Yi (played by Kim Yoo-jung) first appears in the show. Dong Yi -- the girl with naked ambition who does not hesitate to use tricks or break rules in order to beat a civilian boy who looks down on her. The scene where she runs with all her might through the narrow market streets full of obstacles was beyond appropriate to symbolize her future destiny, where she will run full force after breaking free of the double restrictions of being a commoner and a female.

Besides explaining the main character, the first episode of "Dong Yi" also took time to introduce two other main subjects in the drama which will lead the story -- the scene where government musicians perform and the influence of crime organizations during the Chosun Dynasty period. A little more weight was given to the latter issue. The world of organized crime where blood-spattering power struggles are combined with exciting mystery action, will be shown in contrast to the passive world of traditional Korean music, making it the key to delivering the fun factor in "Dong Yi" until Jang Hee-bin [Korea's royal concubine who became Queen by marrying King Sukjong] appears in the show.

It will probably be better for "Dong Yi" to put more effort into displaying elaborate mystery scenes rather than awkward action scenes which will inevitably draw comparisons with KBS TV series "The Slave Hunters". The premiere episode of "Dong Yi" did not stray too far from the expectation that it will be a typical [director] Lee Byung-hoon-style of traditional drama which talks about how the main character grows up and matures. But the veteran director's challenge to mix fresh and interesting subjects into a commercial epic story is still exciting to watch. If there is one thing to be desired of the show, it would be that this intelligent woman shining with brilliance grows up to be more than just a kingmaker as we already know her as.

- Written by Kim Sun-young (TV critic)

Editor : Lynn Kim lynn2878@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

I have to say that the action scenes were a bit awkward. Especially in the first scene where the old man got killed (I'm sorry, there were no subs so I don't know his name ^^; ). Is it just me or was it a really odd way to stab someone? Usually when someone sits or stands right up, you'll stab the person sideways and not downwards right?

Anyway, I love the little Dong Yi. It was enjoyable to watch her scenes. The first episode is certainly not bad, I'm looking forward to next week ^^

^

That is true haha. I didn't notice that. But he was holding a long sword in a close range distance.. So it makes sense that he'd stab him downwards. You'd stab someone straight on their back if you had a dagger or a knife though. But then again... I think in movies, when someone is being stabbed in the back by a dagger, it's usually downwards as well o_o ahaha

The 1st episode was pretty entertaining...not bad at all..much better than other dramas i've seen...Like what the review said, I hope they focus more on the mystery aspect and detective storyline...that was a nice and surprising touch to the drama...

Guest turkey1982

1.:han-450p

http://rapidshare.com/files/366882022/Dong.Yi.E01.100322.HDTV.X264.450p-HAN_.part1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/366882017/Dong.Yi.E01.100322.HDTV.X264.450p-HAN_.part2.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/366925070/Dong.Yi.E01.100322.HDTV.X264.450p-HAN_.part3.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/366925178/Dong.Yi.E01.100322.HDTV.X264.450p-HAN_.part4.rar

Guest kdramafanusa

TV series "Dong Yi," "Oh! My Lady" off to good start

Reporter : Lucia Hong | luciahong@asiae.co.kr

기사입력 2010.03.23 17:44 최종수정 2010.03.23 17:47

2010032316373034633_1.jpg

New Monday and Tuesday dramas "Dong Yi-Jewel in the Crown" and "Oh! My Lady" [MBC/SBS]

Two new Monday and Tuesday prime time dramas -- MBC's "Dong Yi-Jewel in the Crown" and SBS' "Oh! My Lady" -- have taken off to a good start since first airing on Monday.

According to numbers by TNS Korea and ABG Nielsen Media Research, "Dong Yi" scored 11.4 percent and 11.6 percent, respectively, in viewership ratings while "Lady" recorded ratings of 10 percent and 11.5 percent.

"Dong Yi," a historical epic helmed by famed director Lee Byung-hoon whose previous works including "Jewel in the Palace" and "Heo Jun," stars top Korean actors Ji Jin-hee and Han Hyo-joo.

The first episode of the show, about Dong Yi who grows up to become Choi Suk-bin, a consort of King Sukjong and the mother of King Youngjo during the Chosun Dynasty, featured the life of young Dong Yi played by child actress Kim You-jung.

Meanwhile, the premiere series of SBS drama "Lady" showed the unusual first encounter between top star Sung Min-woo and divorcee Yoon Gae-hwa who Min-woo hires as his house maid.

Super Junior member Choi Si-won plays the role of Sung Min-woo while actress Chae Rim returns to the small screen as the maid-turned-manager.

"Dong Yi" airs on Monday and Tuesday nights at 9:55 p.m. and "Lady" at 8:50 p.m.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Guest suncine445

Dong yi started fine for me .It opens the whole drama with a suspense killing. This lays the foundation and tone for the whole drama. I find the introduction of young dongyi and her background to be interesting. We get a glimpse of who she represents a caring ,smart and one who stands up for justice. All in ep 1 for me is promising. The plot is not draggy and it got to what it wanted in the right pace. Looking forward to the ep 2 where there are more insight into her background and childhood..This week episodes is really about laying the ground work for the whole drama. It is a good start for me

Guest t_danti

like the first poster, han hyo jo really look very beautiful. basically i love sageuk drama since i watch jumong and jewel and the palace. I'll check this out.......

Guest seproast

any news about group who's going to sub this drama.

i thought withs2 is working on this but it's not in their project list anymore.

Guest froglivers

Ep 01 was pretty amazing -- it'll be a tough one to sub. All the little political, social references won't be clear without at least korean high-school level history background. And pretty advanced 'formal court' language and difficult vocab. Maybe the chinese subbers will be better off with this one.

But the suspense is great -- should build up smartly with the later political imbrolglio, and that's much more than just the relationship tangle (which was enough of a mess).

50 eps, though. I wish there was a team for this. I just started a new job.

Archived