[Drama 2010] Dong Yi 동이

Guest kdramafanusa

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest iceangela

Oh wow, I didn't know that there's a dongyi thread on soompi. Anyways, hello everyone! I'm from HHJ's thread. :D Nice to meet all!

This drama looks/sounds promising, and I like the casts here! Hope it'll be a big hit in korea and other countries too! :D

hello bumcibogyo. So only wiikii will sub it? aww... I'm not from US/Canada... T.T So I can only watch the korean version without the subs...? :( Hopefully someone else will upload it elsewhere with subs? or maybe I'll need to wait for the dvd to be out? argh, I think I can't wait for that long... But if this drama is nice, I will buy the dvd when its out for sure! :D

Anyways, thanks so much all for the updates! :) I'll check again real soon!

Wow this drama sure is looking interesting. Initially I found out about it through following HHJ's news but wasn't very excited until I began to read more and more about the drama. The story is very interesting and it's such a pity I can't speak Korean.. haha

50 episodes is quite long, I really hope it'll get subbed since it'll sure be a shame not being able to watch this drama, I'm sure of that. The cast is amazing and the setting seems promising.

Guest lightofhonest

i'm so excitied because of han hyo joo!

<33 I'm a big fan of hers and yes so i'm looking forward to it

I'm sure it'll be lovely the drama I want it now T__T

I hope Dong Yi will be subbed by a fangroup too :(

Anyways... I don't think these articles from Dramabeans have been shared here

Dong Yi’s official posters

Speaking of new Monday-Tuesday dramas, here’s a look at another: MBC’s Dong Yi comes out the same day as SBS’s Oh! My Lady, albeit an hour later in the regular prime-time slot. These new posters feature Dong Yi’s lead actress in the title role, Han Hyo-joo. In reference to her character’s initial status as a water maid in the palace, the main poster above shows Han standing on water.

In the second poster below, the rest of the main cast is pictured, including King Suk-jong (Ji Jin-hee), the ambitious concubine Lady Jang (Lee So-yeon), Dong-yi’s devoted Chun-soo (Bae Soo-bin), police officer Seo Yong-ki (Jung Jin-young), and the queen (Park Ha-sun).

My personal favorite is the third poster, which shows the progression of Dong-yi’s character in the two images of Han Hyo-joo. At left, she is a simple servant girl, and she later becomes a royal consort and mother to a king.

Dong Yi premieres next week, on March 22, in Pasta’s slot on MBC.

source: http://www.dramabeans.com/2010/03/dong-yis-official-posters/

Han Hyo-joo looks forward to Dong Yi

With the airdate approaching for the historical drama Dong Yi, lead actress Han Hyo-joo has spoken about her feelings playing the lead in such a large production. Her character starts out a water maid in the palace, is selected as concubine, becomes the queen’s faithful confidant, and gives birth to a future king. Han has had leading roles before, but inasmuch as she is portraying the title role and a real historical figure, the pressure is on.

How does it feel playing the title role of a historical blockbuster?

“I feel a tremendous amount of pressure. It’s a large production and I’m playing the person the drama is named after, so I really feel that I have to do well. Everyone else says the same thing, and if I get too ambitious I feel angry so I’m trying to work quietly and do my best.”

When you were offered the role and decided to do it, how did you feel?

“At first, I hesitated a bit. I knew that the challenge of acting in the sageuk genre wouldn’t be easy, and given that the role has me acting from my teens through fifties, I wasn’t sure I could do it. But that soon changed into ambition and I thought that I’d better not let go of this opportunity to act with such range. Also, it’s such an honor to act the title role in a drama. This kind of chance isn’t common in an actor’s life, so I decided to take on the challenge.”

What kind of person do you think Dong-yi (Lady Choi) is?

“She feels the pain of losing her family when she was young, but she lives on with a bright spirit. She overcomes adversity to stand again so she’s tough and clever, and as the mother of King Yeongjo, she has a brightness that allows her to move past her own social class. Dong-yi is a righteous person who is strong against the strong, and gentle against the weak.”

Director Lee Byung-hoon expressed strong faith in you, saying, “Han Hyo-joo has a diverse image and wide acting range, so I’m sure she will lead Dong Yi to success. She’ll show a side to her in this drama that she hasn’t been able to show yet.” How do you get along with the producers?

“I’m so thankful to him for saying that. Actually, I’m still lacking in many areas, and I feel that. Because of that, I want to throw myself into working hard, and if I fall down I’ll get back up and do my best. In the beginning, I really want to start from Dong-yi’s position. Also, there’s just one thing the producers ask of me: to smile.”

Are you looking forward to the performance of your co-star Ji Jin-hee as Suk-jong?

“Everyone says that he’s a really great person, that he makes everyone around him feel comfortable, so I think he’ll be a huge support while filming. I hope that filming with the other actors can always be enjoyable.”

I’ve heard that your haegeum (stringed instrument) performance skills are top-notch. Aside from that, what kind of preparations did you take before starting the drama?

“I’m not top-notch, and I’ve only learned the basics. When the theme song is written, I’ll have to practice playing it. I took acting classes with the director for about two months, and I really learned a lot. It allowed me to get a handle on some of the more technical aspects of acting, such as how to get into the emotions quickly, keep in step with others, vocalize, and so on. I’m thankful to the director for that.”

Many of your dramas have been successful, such as As Much as Land and Sky, Iljimae, and Brilliant Legacy. How do you feel about Dong Yi?

“To be honest, I hope it can be a drama that many people will love. That’s how hard I’m working. 2010, please give Dong Yi lots of love.”

What would you like to viewers who will be watching?

“Everyone, happy new year. Please be healthy and happy. I’ll work hard on my acting and see you in a good drama. Please give Dong Yi your love. Thank you.”

source: http://www.dramabeans.com/2010/02/han-hyo-...ard-to-dong-yi/

Friend’s Jung Yumi joins cast of Dong Yi

Jung Yumi is the latest addition to MBC’s big historical drama Dong Yi, joining Han Hyo-joo, who plays the titular water-maid-turned-concubine; Ji Jin-hee as king; Lee So-yeon as a scheming, more senior concubine; and Bae Soo-bin playing Daddy Long Legs yet again to Han.

This Jung Yumi is the actress from Friend, Our Legend, not to be confused with that other Jung Yumi (of Chaw and Que Sera Sera). Her character, described as kind and good, works in the king’s residential quarters and becomes caught up in an incident that leaves her shamed.

The drama will follow Pasta on Mondays and Tuesdays, and will premiere in March.

source: http://www.dramabeans.com/2010/02/friends-...ast-of-dong-yi/

The cast of Dong Yi gets into character

Here’s our first look at the cast of MBC’s historical series Dong Yi dressed in costume. The drama features Ji Jin-hee as King Suk-jong and Han Hyo-joo as the water maid Dong-yi who turns concubine, then mother to a future king. Lee So-yeon follows her vengeful Angel’s Temptation role as Lady Jang, a higher-ranking concubine that’s described as a villain role. Bae Soo-bin is Dong-yi’s caring protector (O, will he never get the girl?).

Han Hyo-joo shared her feelings on donning the clothes for the first time: “Wearing the costume makes it feel real, as though the outline has been revealed. Even when I’d seen the synopsis and script, I didn’t picture things clearly, but after seeing how it looks I can imagine it better.” Because she takes the title role, Han will be bearing much of the burden of the drama; she said, “The director told me that he’d watched all of my projects, and deliberated about what would suit me best, from head to toe. I think we’ll be fine if I can do a good job.”

She also called the drama a “sageuk CSI,” since there are scenes that involve Dong-yi investigating matters. (This is a description I haven’t heard before, and one I didn’t expect of this drama. I presume there are court mysteries at hand.)

Lee So-yeon said, “I’m playing another villain, but I’ll show a Lady Jang that’s different from previous portrayals, one with my own appeal.”

source: http://www.dramabeans.com/2010/02/the-cast...into-character/

Park Ha-sun cast as queen in Dong Yi

Historical drama Dong Yi has cast Park Ha-sun to play the role of Queen In-hyun, the second wife of King Suk-jong. Han Hyo-joo plays the lead character Dong-yi, a water maid who later became royal consort and gave birth to a future king; Ji Jin-hee plays King Suk-jong.

Queen In-hyun was pushed aside and lost standing when the king passed her over for a more favored concubine Lady Jang, which led to court strife. Eventually she was reinstated and the ambitious Jang demoted, but In-hyun died mysteriously and Jang’s faction was accused of poisoning. In-hyun looks after Dong-yi, three years her junior, when Dong-yi first enters the palace, and develops a trust in her. Jang will be played by Lee So-yeon, and if her recent vengeful turn in Angel’s Temptation is any indication, it will be with great gusto. (We’ve got a mini-Angel’s Temptation reunion, with her co-star Bae Soo-bin playing a protective figure to Dong-yi.)

According to a representative with the production, they chose Park Ha-sun because they wanted to put a fresh face to the role. Park has played queen consort in the past, in the 2007-08 SBS sageuk King and I.

Dong Yi will air on Mondays and Tuesdays on MBC beginning in March.

source: http://www.dramabeans.com/2010/01/park-ha-...een-in-dong-yi/

Bae Soo-bin added to Dong Yi

Something tells me that Brilliant Legacy fans are gonna flip: Bae Soo-bin will once again be teaming up with Han Hyo-joo in the historical drama Dong Yi. (Then again, as the series has already cast Ji Jin-hee as the king who takes Han’s water maid character as his concubine, this means that Bae Soo-bin once again will play second fiddle…)

Bae is no stranger to the sageuk, having acted in Emperor of the Sea, Jumong, and Painter of the Wind. In Dong Yi, his role is described as “Bi-dam-like” as he portrays a masculine swordsman. He is the childhood friend to Dong-yi’s older brother, who asks him to take care of his sister before dying. He therefore watches over her throughout her life, loving her devotedly.

Bae intends to beginning martial arts and sword training in order to portray his character realistically. Having already performed in historical dramas, Bae has the basic skills such as equestrian experience and should be ready to begin immediately. Filming will begin in late January.

Last year was a huge year for Bae, as his career took off with roles in two hit dramas, Brilliant Legacy and Angel’s Temptation, as well as the films Aeja and Girlfriends. This newest role ought to raise his profile even higher.

source: http://www.dramabeans.com/2010/01/bae-soo-...ded-to-dong-yi/

Whoaaa!!!! I'm really, really excited to watch this. Lots of love for this series.

I love the director. He directed my favorite korean series Jewel in the Palace.

I love Ji Jin Hee's role in Jewel in the Palace so I'm also looking forward to this one

I love Kim Yoo Jung as little Eun Chae in Iljimae and she's playing as little Hyo Joo again. weeee!

I love BSB...I mean, who doesn't? :lol:

and I love Hyo Joo, of course! :D....

I love, love, love the photo of the two Dong Yi holding each other's hands. They look like sisters. :lol:

After reading updates about this drama and the storyline and after seeing the trailer, my excitement just shoot up!

I will really, really be grateful to whoever will be kind enough to sub such a long drama.

Guest iceangela

Hello everyone! :) Thanks so much for the updates, bashful. :D haha.

Anyways, the 3rd Dong Yi trailer is out!!! :D

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/zQWqFzAPp20

6 more days!!! :D EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!! I hope hyojoo comes out soon! :)

Dong Yi OST?:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/2kWonB6HAp8

from DC.

They says its the background music from Dong Yi blog. o.O So I guess they are guessing that this song will be included in the OST of Dong Yi. yeah. :)

Hello everyone! :) Thanks so much for the updates, bashful. :D haha.

Anyways, the 3rd Dong Yi trailer is out!!! :D

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/zQWqFzAPp20

6 more days!!! :D EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!! I hope hyojoo comes out soon! :)

Wow just saw the 3rd trailer.

so the queen will be so much older than dong yi? since the young gal in the trailer is the youn dongyi right?

Guest Trina987

I am soo excited of this drama.. So far, the casting is great.. But, who is the brother of the Dong Yi.. Is this his first drama??? Has he been any other dramas???

Regardless, I am looking forward this drama in viikii... =-)

I am soo excited of this drama.. So far, the casting is great.. But, who is the brother of the Dong Yi.. Is this his first drama??? Has he been any other dramas???

Regardless, I am looking forward this drama in viikii... =-)

Trina987

Dong Joo, who is Han Hyo Joo's character's brother in Dong Yi, is acting by Jung Sang Woon. While he's not as known like the other actors, he has done his fair share. I liked him the most in his role as Choi Bo Gook in the daily drama "Don't Be Swayed."

Hope this helped. ^.^ By the way, here's the link to his dramawiki page --> http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Jung_Sung_Woon

I'm sorry this is off topic. ^.^;;

Guest kdramafanusa

201003161434551_P.JPG

http://mbcinfo.imbc.com/news_view.asp?idx=...ry=1&page=1

201003161328411_P.JPG

201003161328412_P.JPG

201003161328413_P.JPG

201003161328414_P.JPG

201003161328415_P.JPG

http://mbcinfo.imbc.com/news_view.asp?idx=...ry=1&page=1

EDIT: Thanks everyone for updating the thread....I haven't been on Soompi as often.

Does any of us here have some time to take over updating the thread (ie for the 1st post)? Please say yes. :)

If you can, please contact the mod to transfer the thread to you. Thank you so much in advance.

Guest Trina987

Trina987

Dong Joo, who is Han Hyo Joo's character's brother in Dong Yi, is acting by Jung Sang Woon. While he's not as known like the other actors, he has done his fair share. I liked him the most in his role as Choi Bo Gook in the daily drama "Don't Be Swayed."

Hope this helped. ^.^ By the way, here's the link to his dramawiki page --> http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Jung_Sung_Woon

I'm sorry this is off topic. ^.^;;

:D that is okay it is a lil bit off topic.. Regardless, thank you for the information.. Yes, I did went to dramawiki and it provide the information....

Also, so far in the imbc website there is no text preview yet..... :(

Guest kdramafanusa

^^ For this week, MBC is showing 'Miracle' (4-episode) from writer Noh Hyung-Kyung from Monday through Thursday.

~~~~~

"Dong Yi" sold overseas ahead of premiere

Reporter : Lucia Hong | luciahong@asiae.co.kr

기사입력 2010.03.17 11:18 최종수정 2010.03.17 11:18

2010031710012816413_1.jpg

Official poster for MBC drama "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" [MBC]

Historical epic "Dong Yi - Jewel in the Crown" has been sold overseas ahead of its airing in Korea, according to the show's broadcaster MBC on Wednesday.

The 50-part series starring top Korean actors Ji Jin-hee and Han Hyo-joo has been purchased by several countries in Asia including Japan, Thailand and Hong Kong to bring in profits worth over eight billion won, MBC explained.

“Dong Yi” is helmed by famed director Lee Byung-hoon who is well-known among in the Asian region for his previous works including "Isan," "Heo Jun" and 2003 smash hit drama "Jewel in the Palace."

In Lee's newest drama, Han will play the role of Dong Yi who grows up to become Choi Suk-bin, a consort of King Sukjong and the mother of King Youngjo during the Joseon Dynasty. Hallyu star Ji Jin-hee will appear as King Sukjong.

The first episode of "Dong Yi" will air on March 22.

Reporter : Lucia Hong luciahong@asiae.co.kr

Editor : Jessica Kim jesskim@asiae.co.kr

<ⓒ10Asia All rights reserved>

Archived