Anime/Manga/Manhwa recommendations thread

Admin

Guest kakashiwife

Hey guys! I started a blog and my newest entry is a anime recommendation which is super funny and laid back!

Have a look!

http://laratothesky.blogspot.com

Guest kakashiwife

can someone recommend me a manga like   Ao Haru ride  strobe edge  dengeki daisy

Beast Master! it's the same author as dengeki daisy if i'm not mistaken

Guest sleightlymusical

Some of my recent favorites are ones that I would not have guessed I would have liked from the synopsis/first impressions:

Puella Magi Madoka - Thought it would be your typical run of the mill magic girl stories, but by episode 3, it turned out to be much, much darker. It also features stunning   graphics and an intense, engaging plot.

Chihayafuru - Among the top 5 of my favorite animes this year. A story about a traditional Japanese card game, Karuta, would sound boring, but the anime makes something that seems superficially mundane a poignant story that makes you pumped to cheer on the characters as they try to break into the world of Karuta. Definitely one of the biggest surprises I've seen. 

Fate/Zero - After watching Fate Stay night many years ago, and remembering to be mediocre, I didn't think the prequel would be much different. However, after watching the first few episodes, I immediately noticed a much better script and amazing visuals, not to mention a cast of very charismatic characters (Iskander!) Definitely waiting for season 2 to come out!

Hi can someone recommend me a manga full of romance? something that can give your tummy a lot of butterflies while reading XD i want something worth buying. I already own volumes of Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Skip Beat, and Dengeki Daisy.

I'd say Red River and From Far Away hands down but good luck with finding the volumes as they're OOP

I'm currently in love with 13th Boy (Korean manhwa) if you want something easier to look for. It's coming to an end at 12 volumes. It's got all the familiar stuff but at the same time it's unlike anything I've read. Seemingly childish but contains a lifetime of sadness. Funny yet poignant. Ridiculous while touching. READ IT!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest yukinohana

Ao Haru ride

Last Game

Hey I tried out Ao Haru and i really like it.

Do you have any other suggestions similar to it?

Thanks!

oh and... if it helps i like

Akuma to love song

skip beat

vampire knight

Goong

Guest didueatmycake

Hi can someone recommend me a manga full of romance? something that can give your tummy a lot of butterflies while reading XD i want something worth buying. I already own volumes of Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Skip Beat, and Dengeki Daisy.

Kimi ni todoke (pure innocent love that make you go, "awwwww...")

L-DK (it has comedy side and it's hilarious)

Nodame Cantabile (it supposedly love-COMEDY but strong comedy side)

Kore wa koi no hanashi (love story of 11yr old and 30+ yr old.. i know sounds awkward but very interesting story!)

situren Chocolatier(sp?) 

All manga from Watase Yuu is good (Fushigi Yuugi, Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden, Ayashi no Ceres, etc)  Her story is one of a kind, tons of love in it, fun comedy parts too)

Does anyone know a good anime about love? I'd prefer if it was more of a mature anime where the characters are a bit older, perhaps young adults, and where it's based on real life; not having any sci-fi or fantasy elements. It's been hard for me to find an anime of this criteria.

Sorry they're all manga but they might interest you...

Honey Bitter (Obana Miho)  (About this detective who has a power to read ppl's mind... she is very introverted due to that power, she had really bad history with her one and only ex, it's about her struggles and growth... and her new bf.)

- sorry it has psychic-ish thing but the setting is realistic.  

Sitsuren Chocolatier (This guy was so in love with this girl and was dating but she decided to break up because the only reason she went out with him was to try to forget about her ex (which she still loved)... but because he obsessively in love with her, he decided to be a chocolatier to make the best chocolate (cuz she loves chocolates) to make her fall in love with him again)

anime:

- gintama; genre: shounen, comedy

(gintama is probably one of the most entertaining anime i've ever watched in my entire life. if you think this anime sucks because it's too over hyped, then there's probably something wrong with you. to fix yourself, watch it and repent on your sins.

there isn't really much to say except that gintama is awesome and you are not worthy of calling it not awesome.)

- nodame cantabile; genre: josei, comedy

(nodame cantabile is set in a music university where, according to chiaki shinichi, everyone sucks. chiaki is our protagonist (or basically the one who does most of the talking, i guess) and a terrifying incident left him unable to even step inside an airplane. because of this he is stuck in tokyo to continue his dream of becoming a conductor. he meets noda megumi, the junior who lives in a garbage of an apartment next door. despite his undying hatred for the girl and her annoying quirks, he is still lured by her terribly (in literal sense) fascinating musical capabilities.

i really can't choose my favorite anime because nodame cantabile always gets in the way of my feelings. one of the reasons i began watching this is because it involves classical music and i, being so into that, quickly succumbed. at first this was just an attempt to rekindle my lost expectations after watching la corda d'oro (and eventually reading the manga). but then it gradually dawned on me, as i continued to watch, that this was like one of the best anime ever.)

manga:

- bambi no tegami; shoujo, slice of life, romance

(rinko is convinced that she's perpetually attracting bad luck. after losing her precious deer, a lot of bad things have been happening to her. all she wants this new years is a date with her childhood friend tatsuyuki but fate has planned for something better (or worse).

this manga isn't too popular and because of that it's underrated. the art is overwhelmingly refreshing and not your typical manga art. the story isn't a downer either.)

- akuma ga hareruya; shoujo, romance

(akuma ga hareruya is actually a collection of 4 oneshots--2 of which involve the same characters. to be honest, only the first 2 chapters really appealed to me. the rest died down after i realized that the manga won't be following the same characters anymore lol. nonetheless, the story is really cute. it's a good break from all the blah drama blah happening in a lot of shoujo manga.)

- torikagosou no kyou mo nemutai juunintachi; shoujo, slice of life, best art of the decade

(also known as "the sleepy residents of birdcage manor". the story follows a 16 year-old girl named kizuna who flirts with old men to earn money. she gets tired of it and gives up her street life. a chance encounter leaves her on the doorstep of a mysterious painter named arai whose cousin, yuki, tells her that she has to pose nude for arai's paintings. 

one of the things i'd like to point out is the amazing artwork. it's not your ordinary shoujo high school kind of art, it's pretty detailed and so unique in some way. i guess the art was what coerced me into reading the manga. of course, the story itself startled me. the art isn't the only thing that stands out in this manga--the plotline is also very different from the shoujos you see going around. naturally, there is a triangle (i mean, what's a shoujo manga without a love triangle right) but i suppose that isn't put much importance until later in the series.)

- tonari no kaibutsukun; shoujo, romance, high school

(this manga follows mizutani shizuku, a surprisingly intelligent girl who puts studies in front of everything else. don't get me wrong, she's not your ordinary shoujo girl who's sweet, dense, strong/has strong opinions about a lot of things, like the girl in special a and maid sama and basically cliched. shizuku couldn't care less about anyone else and she has a very grumpy attitude most of the time. she meets yoshida haru--the boy who was suspended from school after beating up a bunch of senior students. everyone is afraid of haru because he always picks fights with other people and doesn't really know how to control his anger (he's terrifyingly strong). shizuku unwillingly brings haru his homework after days of haru avoiding school. this act convinced haru that he and shizuku are friends. surprisingly and unfortunately for her, haru turns out to be a really sweet, loving, and happy-go-lucky guy who won't stay away from her no matter how many times she attempted to pry him off.

this manga is totally different because the characteristics of the leads have been swapped (usually the female is the happy-go-lucky one and the male hates everything and basically shoots his tsudere rays everywhere). in all honesty, this manga really captured me because of its uniqueness and i have a thing for manga and anime that don't swim in the river of cliched events and story lines. 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ryuu-chan

sigpic685751_50.gif

530856_402734569744264_100000231735185_1511249_1339711659_n.jpg

can some please help me with the name of this manga?  i really want to read it but i have no idea what it is?

I have been enjoying Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji and I saw the anime called Chihayafuru and I liked it a lot.

My one going mangas are:

Comedy

Yotsubato

Yanki-kun and Megane-chan

Shounen

Naruto

One Piece

Shoujo

Kimi ni Todoke

The comedy ones aren't that well known but I think loved by everyone who does know them :)

And in the past mangas that I have loved off the top of my head:

Aria (anime series)

Miracle Girls (manga)

Ookiku Furikabutte (anime)

Dragon Knights (manga)

I Wish (manhwa)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tijana93

id like to recomend some awesome anime:)
another - every1s loving it so far...its like psycologycal thriller horror with awesome twists and a teeny tiny bit of gore which is totally bearable and imo suits the anime perfectly without being too over the top...dont read any spoilers and just watch it and ull probably finish it in one go...awesome plots and twists keeps u completely occupied...i love it
death note - absolutely briliant deffinetely a must watch...uve probably heard a lot about this so just go and watch it...ull love it
blood+ - its one of my favs...it can fall into the vampire genre (read the summary somewhere) and its actually awesome in that way unlike some reacently filmed movies/dramas from holiwood *caughtwilightcaugh*...the caracters r actually awesome imo i mean they change and grow and u can actually imagine them being real ppl...awesome character development basicly, i could totaly relate to some...batles r awesome also i mean its not like in some shojo action anime where its all copy paste, its very well written and drawn, just awesome to look at...also another great thing is that there is love, romance and other emotions in it, cuz one thing i hate about shonen animes is that they lack this aspect its like one character represents sth and has only those kind of feelings eg. he wants to fight, to save sm1, prove sth uf idunno but its like it focuses on sertain parts of his personality way too much leaving him looking too 2d...and in blood+ they give u a whole character, their good sides and bad sides, their interactions with others, u can love them and hate them at the same time and they feel very 3d...uf its been maybe 2-3 years since i watched this, but im still very impressed...and also i love the plot...it has nice twists and turns, personally i loved the pacing and it made me think a lot...basicly this is a perfect anime if u like being involved while watching, and crying...the plot and action r great, but it deffinetely wont let u feeling like that was all there was to it, but rather, u will be very emotional about it
mai hime - well the first 3 animes i wrote about were dark without comedy...this one is...well...shojo...i think the genre is mahou shoujo...so it deffinetely has that feel to it...but its kinda different...i remember when i was younger and was watching tokyo mew mew...it was fun and light and basicly was also a bit hart warming with that feeling that makes u go 'awwwwwww'...mai hime has that feeling to it too, but is also very different...its dark...uf this is very difficult to explain without talking about the anime or revealing something, but ull notice the anime has parts even when ur laughing there is this uneasy feeling about it...it is dark and will make u cry...its dark deppresing yet still shoujo...and the animation and fight scenes are awesome, more shonen like definetely breathtaking...so its shojo+shonen type
u may have noticed that all of these r dark, depresing anime with real life characters, awesome animation and amazing plots...i guess u can find summaries anywhere so i wanted to write about feelings they provoke...so if u want some dark and deep choose one of these...death note is also an amasing thriller, better than most of holliwood's, mai hime is also shoujo, but ull love it even if ur not a girl, another falls under horror category among other things and blood+ has that adventure/fantasy feel to it...which ever u choose, u will deffinetely not be dissapointed, and will still be thinking about it for days...ull love it...hehehe i hope u liked my recomandations:)♥

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dragonfruit

Ao Haru Ride it's a shojo manga! Very cute. Art is amazing. The thing that makes this a really good shojo is that the girl isn't some weak crybaby (at least most of the time) the couple moments and stuff are so cuteeee and ughh just makes you so jealous xD
You won't regret reading it!